• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

Played tonight for the first time since last week. Got my Uchi to +3 lightning, smashed S&O on first try with a partner, and revisited the prison from the start of the game. Feels good, man.

Warping to bonfires rules, by the way. So glad I can do that now.

Wool

So tell me this, I just saw that Fox Hound logo from MGS and is Sif a reference to that or are wolves with knives in their mouths a common thing?

FOXHOUND_Logo.png
dark-souls-sif-the-great-grey-wolf-560x350.jpg

chunk3rvd

I have he lordvessel in my posession and after reading up it looks like I have a decision to make: The ability to invade people (Kaathe) vs the ability to sell items for souls (Frampt). Is there anything more to this I'm missing? I'm leaning towards the Darkwraiths at the moment but just want to be sure that there's nothing else I'm missing out on if I go in that direction?

Shito

Kaathe tells you a little bit more story, and what is considered "the truth".
If you have no intention on doing a second run, go with Kaathe, elsewise you are "supposed" to side with Frampt on your first run.

roxya

I have he lordvessel in my posession and after reading up it looks like I have a decision to make: The ability to invade people (Kaathe) vs the ability to sell items for souls (Frampt). Is there anything more to this I'm missing? I'm leaning towards the Darkwraiths at the moment but just want to be sure that there's nothing else I'm missing out on if I go in that direction?

Well Frampt can also break down chunks into shards which is a bit useful, but it's no big loss. If you go with Kaathe you get more story info so I'd go with that.

mxgt

Banned
started playing my sunbro (soon to be) low level sorcerer now, makes a nice change from a full str/end/vit build

Shito

(I'd say you would, considering it is an unique weapon, but I never did this achievement, so I don't really know...)

Hey, nice, casually playing my second character when out of the blue a mimic in the Duke's Archives drops me her very rare item. Nice! I take this as a reward for starting to lay down more messages on the floor than I did in my first run...

Sullichin

(I'd say you would, considering it is an unique weapon, but I never did this achievement, so I don't really know...)

Hey, nice, casually playing my second character when out of the blue a mimic in the Duke's Archives drops me her very rare item. Nice! I take this as a reward for starting to lay down more messages on the floor than I did in my first run...

Still never got that. So cool that I've sunk so many hours into this game and there's still tons left to do.

Game Informer's 2011 RPG of the year awards, Dark Souls gets best boss fight. For... Sif? Not O&S?! i've said before in this thread that Sif never really stood out to me that much. I also don't think he ever limped for me. Witcher 2 got best combat, can't comment on that because I haven't played Witcher 2.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...1-rpg-of-the-year-awards.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Booshka

Anyone have a link to this video?

http://h10.abload.de/img/vinny_doneqfqg3.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's Vinny's Top 10 Games of the Year feature on Giantbomb. That is pretty much the extent of the clip pertaining to Dark Souls.
[url]http://www.giantbomb.com/game-of-the-year-2011-vinnys-top-10/17-5463/[/url]

Sullichin

lol @ how infamous the Anor Londo archers have become. By the time I first got to them, I was like awwww here it goes, and sure I died a few times but it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. Once you know what to do they're easy to deal with.

The following were all more frustrating to me in my first playthrough than the archers:

Getting fucking cursed in the depths.
Capra Demon (this guy is easy as hell if you have decent equipment. With my starting gear and limited knowlegde of the combat, I died plenty of times just walking through the fog)
Crossbreed Priscilla. I know she's easy; well, she wasn't for me at ALL my first playthrough and I got wrecked probably over a dozen times for some reason.
Stray Demon (although I love this fight now)
The first half of Blighttown, ugh, I always get the master key now to avoid that shit.
Crystal Caves before I knew where the paths were.
Lost Izalith
Tomb of Giants
The ghosts in new londo.
the final boss.

I thought the 360 version was a ghost town, I think I saw maybe 2 summon signs for the entire game post Anor Londo, and it was a little sad. So now I'm not sure, is that just because people hate those areas, or is that because it's too diffuse?

Apparently, everyone is hanging out in the parish. I invaded twice (new character, not twinking here ;), and did 3 Gargoyle runs in like 30 minutes last night. When I first got to that area, right after launch, I couldn't summon/be summoned for the life of me. Yay 1.5 and new christmas population!

Any suggestions on INT build weapons for PVP? I figure i'll end up with the moonlight greatsword, or maybe an enchanted katana, as my last build was ll heavy axes.

krakov

I thought the 360 version was a ghost town, I think I saw maybe 2 summon signs for the entire game post Anor Londo, and it was a little sad. So now I'm not sure, is that just because people hate those areas, or is that because it's too diffuse?

Apparently, everyone is hanging out in the parish. I invaded twice (new character, not twinking here ;), and did 3 Gargoyle runs in like 30 minutes last night. When I first got to that area, right after launch, I couldn't summon/be summoned for the life of me. Yay 1.5 and new christmas population!

Any suggestions on INT build weapons for PVP? I figure i'll end up with the moonlight greatsword, or maybe an enchanted katana, as my last build was ll heavy axes.

There are always tons of signs by Burg/Parish, up till Anor Londo they are quite frequent as well. After that thought, people spread out and SL difference makes it less common. Forest is always busy also, as far as I know.

Velkas Rapier is a pretty decent weapon for a INT heavy char as well. Or any elemental weapon, as scaling still isn't worth a damn.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

vinny_doneqfqg3.gif

The funny thing about that is once you know to sprint until you're right up in their face that encounter becomes easy as hell. You have to "get" there though, and it's kind of counter intuitive once you get up to the wall where the knight actually is.

Zaptruder

Banned

Moonlight Greatsword is particularly good with high stam.

Moonlight Spear is good in PVE; poking through a shield makes the game much easier with normal mobs.

mxgt

Banned
Heh, it's fun helping out new players with gargoyles and such.

One guy everything was going fine then he just walked right into the fire and died :|

Also I'm really struggling to find the mentality of people who make super geared out low level characters to kill those who don't have a chance. I'm just standing here waiting to be summoned and some guy in full Black Knight armor invades and 2 hits me. Bravo, sir.

chunk3rvd

Kaathe tells you a little bit more story, and what is considered "the truth".
If you have no intention on doing a second run, go with Kaathe, elsewise you are "supposed" to side with Frampt on your first run.

I will be doing the full 2nd (and 3rd) run for the platinum. I just figured it made more sense to go with Kaathe on my first playthrough as I have more chance of invasion fun while I'm still a lower level. Figured I could do the Frampt path on my second run through? Can I still do all that second time round?

I'm at 140 hours on my first play through and still deciding what to do with the Lordvessel :/ Have spent far too much time being a sunbro!

Shito

Yeah, you can do it in any order you wishes, it's just that in the construction of the story you are supposed to side with Frampt the first time, otherwise it makes the "revelations" of Kaathe a little bit less interesting.
But if you don't care too much about that, sure, do it in the order you like! :)
Afterall, I gave Frampt the lordvessel but chosen Kaathe's ending on my first run, and I'm going to do it the other way around for this run, sooooo... ^^

Booshka

Going down to New Londo Ruins to Titanite Chunk farm when I see a guy to summon before the first area with the ghosts. Summon him in, then move past the ghosts to drop down to where the Darkwraiths are, he stays there fighting so I stick around and watch him take out the ghosts. Then I show him that I am dropping down and he follows me down. Halfway through my farming run he asks me if he needs the ring for the boss. I say, "nah, I don't have the ring either, just farming." We carry on and when I finish I drop him one humanity and send him home. Cool to have some company for farming runs lol.

Bulk_Rate

Just finished my first playthrough, 90 hours, SL86 warrior. Thank you to all the random summoning friends and Wiki sites!

I really only hit a wall a few times: early on against Quelaag, later against O&S. Other than that it was steady progress. In fact my hardest going was during the earliest bits as I did not pay attention to the nuances of summoning and Humanity in general.

Thank God for the Sunlight Maggot :) !

I chose the Dark ending on accident. Oh well.....

Did New Londo Ruins and it wasn't all that bad. The ghosts were a lot more manageable than I thought. The Darkwraiths are easy as hell to backstab even though they do a lot of dmg to me. The blob minibosses were the only things I thought were annoying.

Four Kings admittedly tore my asshole apart since I was by myself the first time. The next time, I got my friend to co-op with me and I summoned another guy right before the fight. We take out about 2 of them, but we still die. The 3rd time I summoned my friend and the other guy (after I had to rush down to the Abyss to claim my humanity and homeward bone out) and we get to the stairs leading into the Abyss. We all jump, but my friend landed on one of the ledges and died on the way. Surprisingly, Me and the other phantom take all of them out with relative ease this time.

A Darkwraith dropped a Darkhand on the way to the Four Kings. When I got back to Firelink, I tried it out on Griggs and I stole humanity from him twice. The third time I tried it, it actually did damage and he turned hostile. At this point, I could've killed him since I don't need anymore spells, but I felt kinda bad so I farmed souls and went to Oswald to absolve.

I was in the Sunbros for a little while then I switched to Darkmoon yesterday just to invade people without feeling like an outright dick. I killed some guy at the archives who was idling (didn't know at the time). He sent me a message telling me to "eat a dick". I replied "the guilty pay the price. just doing my job buddy". Feels good man.

Still love the shit outta this game!

Insaniac

ugh used to have no problem with the archers in anor londo now they are seriously pissing me off. Besides getting shot in the back at random times, and some times not, the archer on the right will sometimes never pull out his sword, pretty much trapping me with the option to sit there with my shield up until i get knocked off, or swing my halberd, hit the archer and THEN get knocked off.

I love this game, but honestly there was a lot of potential wasted IMO when they tried so hard to work the terrain against you for the majority of the game (anor londo, blight town, crystal caves, giant's tomb) , instead of providing you with more combat situations (seeing as how the combat is very fun)

I suppose I'll take this space up to also complain about the lack of variety for most spells. every single offensive sorcery is incredibly underwhelming and unsatisfying. Give me a little variety in casting animation, or perhaps sound effects to let me at least feel like I'm casting a super strong sorcery "SOUL SPEAR"

When I first acquired Soul Spear I assumed something pretty neat and badass akin to the Lightning Spear miracle. boy was I wrong :(

In addition pyromancy is incredibly boring for the most part. While generally not used as a primary offensive capability it is so cookie cutter: "fling fireball" -> "fling bigger fireball" -> "fling BIGGEST fireball" or "shoot fire from hands"

ahh well, now i'm ranting so I'll cut myself off

KorrZ

vinny_doneqfqg3.gif

I love that Vinny gave a shout out to that part of the game. Easily the most frustrating part of the game and Alienshogun is right that once you know to sprint right up at dudes face it becomes trivial. If you were just playing that game for the first time though and trying to do it blind without hints though, that part was a real fucking bitch. I died easily 10 times on it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn, I beat Seath and didnt get his tail cut off. Which sucks because it's the only part of his body I was attacking! Lame. did I miss a great weapon?

Dresden

Damn, I beat Seath and didnt get his tail cut off. Which sucks because it's the only part of his body I was attacking! Lame. did I miss a great weapon?

The best weapon for mages barring a +15 weapon imbued with Crystal Magic Weapon.

sonicspear64 said:
I was in the Sunbros for a little while then I switched to Darkmoon yesterday just to invade people without feeling like an outright dick. I killed some guy at the archives who was idling (didn't know at the time). He sent me a message telling me to "eat a dick". I replied "the guilty pay the price. just doing my job buddy". Feels good man.
Heh, love it when people get pissed off. Flipped a bridge on someone in the catacombs and killed him that way and soon afterwards I got a message saying 'stupid nigger'.

Diomedes

Anyone know of sites with up to date armour and weapon stats? Wikidot and Wikispaces both giving me some up to date, some not values and not sure of what to trust.

Or, if you know what is the best upgraded low weight (<5 wgt) leg gear that would be fine too. Was thinking Maiden at first, then saw it was nerfed, then thought Black Leather, it seems nerfed too, so now stuck at either Crimson or Xanthous?

Booshka

Just dropped some items where the Anor Londo archers are, hopefully it'll spawn some vagrants to troll players, I also dropped some items in-between the swinging axes in Sen's Fortress. Seems like some pretty devious places to have to deal with a vagrant.

Insaniac

The best weapon for mages barring a +15 weapon imbued with Crystal Magic Weapon.

Heh, love it when people get pissed off. Flipped a bridge on someone in the catacombs and killed him that way and soon afterwards I got a message saying 'stupid nigger'.

lol, some guy summoned me at the parish and he was fighting Lautrec, and I just stood there watching him slowly die. After my summoner died, he sent me a message saying "so useless" and I said "I can't hit NPCs as a phantom man"

nilbog21

Banned
FUCK in firelink shrine there was a couple of guards and some chick in a white robe by the first merchant guy. anyway i was talking to him and then i accidently hit my sword and stabbed him and these guys went crazy; i couldn't get him to stop attacking me, no matter how far i went or how many bonfires i rested at... so it took me a while, but i had no choice but to kill them all.. what is going to happen now ]:

it was this fucking asshole
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Petrus+of+Thorolund

Also lautrec is chilling in my spawn, I heard he drops a really sick ring if you kill him, but later in the game you can possibly get the ring + his armor?? is it worth waiting?

Ill Saint

FUCK in firelink shrine there was a couple of guards and some chick in a white robe by the first merchant guy. anyway i was talking to him and then i accidently hit my sword and stabbed him and these guys went crazy; i couldn't get him to stop attacking me, no matter how far i went or how many bonfires i rested at... so it took me a while, but i had no choice but to kill them all.. what is going to happen now ]:

Next time you accidently attack an NPC who starts aggressing you, remember that you can absolve sins at the church where you rang the first bell. The cost is 500 souls x your soul level.

Does the success of this game pretty much guarantee that Miyazaki has at least started talking about what he wants to do with a sequel amongst his team?

Dresden

it was this fucking asshole
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Petrus+of+Thorolund

Also lautrec is chilling in my spawn, I heard he drops a really sick ring if you kill him, but later in the game you can possibly get the ring + his armor?? is it worth waiting?

Killing them won't matter much unless you're a faith build, in which case you got boned out of the best offensive faith spell.

Ghost_Protocol said:
Does the success of this game pretty much guarantee that Miyazaki has at least started talking about what he wants to do with a sequel amongst his team?
From trademarked Forest of Darkness/Dark Forest/fasdboaihfboapesdfa a few months ago, or something. I'd imagine (well, hope) that they're working on it already.

Ill Saint

Unless you really don't care about spoiling your playthrough, I recommend you stop worrying about that kind of stuff and just play the game. Enjoy the experience without resorting to looking at a wiki. You have NG+ to do stuff you might have missed.

I'm going into this so blind... How would I know who is what and what is needed to kill this and that guy? What item I get here is useful there? Gah, too much community work. Basically, I need to ask a lot of questions and check out numerous sites?

I want a game where I can start out high level, with whatever armor and weapon I want, kick ass but can still die often. Don't really like grinding. I want my adventurer avatar to be what I want him to be, not some generic look that needs to tinkered and tailored for hours.

Guess I would feel more obliged to spend time leveling my character and not the game's premade generos.

elohel

BAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

awesome!!!!!!!

edit: also i read something earlier about being able to side with someone different instead of frampt or something like that? is that true or how do you even go about doing that?

seems like this game has even more stuff to it than demons souls, was worried about post NG runs, seems like each new game there's something else to do

lunlunqq

BAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

awesome!!!!!!!

edit: also i read something earlier about being able to side with someone different instead of frampt or something like that? is that true or how do you even go about doing that?

seems like this game has even more stuff to it than demons souls, was worried about post NG runs, seems like each new game there's something else to do

after you get the lordvessel from "amazing chest," don't talk to frampt. instead proceed to kill the four kings. you will see after that.

PvP in Dark Root is really cool, you get the blue dudes coming in, who I assume are guarding the forest, then normal red invaders too. Awesome combat and shit tons of souls to be had, SO FUCKING GOOD.

Along with the white stone which lets you be summoned, I have a red one too, what does that one do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom