• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

The name recently trademarked by From.

BTW, I've never been invaded in the forest regardless of how long I wait. Is there a specific SL range I need to be in?

The forest is a relatively low activity area for invasion, unless you're referring to the forest covenant area (beyond the sealed door) in which it just might be your SL but I've never had trouble getting invaded rather quickly there.

edit: also what is really the point of invading in the undead parish with a super twinked character? (lightning +5 weapons, maxed pyro gloves with firestorm etc) besides just griefing new/unprepared players you don't get any reward except a humanity and a miniscule amount of souls, nor any satisfaction of a remotely challenging battle

elohel

The forest is a relatively low activity area for invasion, unless you're referring to the forest covenant area (beyond the sealed door) in which it just might be your SL but I've never had trouble getting invaded rather quickly there.

edit: also what is really the point of invading in the undead parish with a super twinked character? (lightning +5 weapons, maxed pyro gloves with firestorm etc) besides just griefing new/unprepared players you don't get any reward except a humanity and a miniscule amount of souls, nor any satisfaction of a remotely challenging battle

did you just say twinked?

lol THAT'S a throwback

Styles

I'm getting summoned much, much quicker at level 16 than I was at lvl 70. There seems to be a lot more activity at lower levels. I am probably going to stop leveling up when I hit lvl 25.

Excited! Made my way to a new bonfire in the unread parish. However, I took a way wrong turn inside some cathedral with a giant black knight with an enormous shield and I ran like hell through there circling around trying to find another exit before finally getting out of there. Eventually made my way down a set of spiraly stairs to a bonfire. Filled with estus, I then ventured back to the knight and proceeded to take it down. I ran like a bitch from it of course but I eventually took it down.

Before braving the knight battle, I went down to the blacksmith, did my thing and thought "let's see what's ahead before going back". Fucking room with a giant idontevenknowwhat shoots lightning and I just dodged and turned around real quick. As far as I'm concerned, that part of the game is LOCKED until further notice...

lunlunqq

Excited! Made my way to a new bonfire in the unread parish. However, I took a way wrong turn inside some cathedral with a giant black knight with an enormous shield and I ran like hell through there circling around trying to find another exit before finally getting out of there. Eventually made my way down a set of spiraly stairs to a bonfire. Filled with estus, I then ventured back to the knight and proceeded to take it down. I ran like a bitch from it of course but I eventually took it down.

Before braving the knight battle, I went down to the blacksmith, did my thing and thought "let's see what's ahead before going back". Fucking room with a giant idontevenknowwhat shoots lightning and I just dodged and turned around real quick. As far as I'm concerned, that part of the game is LOCKED until further notice...

i wish i could erase my memory and experience this again... now that knight and that youdontknowwhat are all dead in like 20 minutes after I start a new game... :(

Had some fun tonight getting summoned by another player. Did twice too. First time, two players and myself took on the Gaping Dragon. I suspect those two players were super high lvl or on NG+ cuz they took him down in under a min. But I got lots of souls, and 3 humanities.

Second summon, it was a lower level player, and I was gonna help him clear the depths. But then he got invaded and killed. Is that even possible???

It took a long time though to get summoned. I mean, I set my sign by the bonfire and waited about 15-20 mins before I got summoned. Is the PS3 online community for DS dead now?

Meanwhile, I returned to the bonfire at the church. Reversed my hollow, kindled my flame, now I get 10 estus and was on my way to clear the fortress, when I got invaded and killed. LOL. Oh well, more tomorrow.

lunlunqq

Had some fun tonight getting summoned by another player. Did twice too. First time, two players and myself took on the Gaping Dragon. I suspect those two players were super high lvl or on NG+ cuz they took him down in under a min. But I got lots of souls, and 3 humanities.

Second summon, it was a lower level player, and I was gonna help him clear the depths. But then he got invaded and killed. Is that even possible???

It took a long time though to get summoned. I mean, I set my sign by the bonfire and waited about 15-20 mins before I got summoned. Is the PS3 online community for DS dead now?

Meanwhile, I returned to the bonfire at the church. Reversed my hollow, kindled my flame, now I get 10 estus and was on my way to clear the fortress, when I got invaded and killed. LOL. Oh well, more tomorrow.

it depends on your level, gaping dragon is for people at around 20~30 levels in their ng. if it's ng+ could be any level. i was at level 25 and was summoned into a ng+ carpra demon game the other day.

malfcn

Now sure where to put a point

Vit 13
Attunement 8
Endurance 20
Strength 27
Dexterity 40
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10
Faith 9

MechaX

Kaathe tells you a little bit more story, and what is considered "the truth".
If you have no intention on doing a second run, go with Kaathe, elsewise you are "supposed" to side with Frampt on your first run.

It's actually pretty funny that Frampt is the implied route for first timers. Oddly enough, on my first time through the game, and I'm not joking about this, I didn't even know Frampt existed. I never went back to his area in Firelink and I just went straight on to Sen's. When done with Anor Londo, I had no idea what to do next and I remember asking around. People asked whether or not I spoke to Frampt yet. I replied "Who in the fuck is Frampt?" "Go to New Londo" is the response I got.

And after three playthroughs... Yeah, Kaathe is still pretty awesome in the sense that he doesn't feed you the same old "BUT THOU MUST DO THINGS WITH FIRE O CHOSEN ONE" bullshit everybody else in the game seems to do and actually divulges more of the game's backstory.

Booshka

How do you get to Dukes Archives?

From the first bonfire in Anor Londo, run out and hang a left. Go into the room with the two giants guarding chests, then through another giant guarding a pathway up. Take that path up and it will lead to Duke's Archives. If you look around you in the background you will see the mansion atop a hill, that is where you are going.

From the first bonfire in Anor Londo, run out and hang a left. Go into the room with the two giants guarding chests, then through another giant guarding a pathway up. Take that path up and it will lead to Duke's Archives. If you look around you in the background you will see the mansion atop a hill, that is where you are going.

Thanks. I think I want to go there next, I want the two miracles from joining the Princess Guard so I can move onto the Dark Wraiths Covenant once I've been to the Abyss.

edbrat

Been running through demons again over the last few days and it is still great, there is a rawness and the creativity is wilder than dark where everything is quite refined by comparison. I forgot how much the crystal lizards piss me off though, some of the times they appear you have no chance unless you are reading an FAQ and quite often getting the little bastards is an automatic suicide run. I don't know if it's just being more familiar with dark but the feeling of powerlessness seems more pronounced for longer in demons, I am closing in on the end and it is only recently that I feel my weapons are anywhere near par. Less gear drops in this game as well so anything half decent is v v precious and getting the upgrade materials is really really tough, did I mention those fucking lizards?

The bosses are more varied and generally more interesting than dark though the best of dark beats the best of demons IMO. Also the npc sub plots in dark are slightly better I think though the maiden in black is a great character, still not bored of her "so the world may be mended" spiel every time you level. Anyway will try to finish off today, the music in the nexus has changed to organ music which is a sweet touch, the atmosphere is still so so specials in this game. Will also check out whether the online is still lively, suspect I will get absolutely flattened in pvp but some coop might be fun. Also fuck the valley of defilement with a pointy stick, sideways. Also can anyone rec some good lightweight armour? Still rocking my starting royal kit damnit.

mxgt

Banned
After a morning of jolly co operation I spend my hard earned souls on the dragoncrest ring that boosts sorc damage and the greater soul spells

450 damage great heavy soul arrow at level 20. feelsgoodman.gif

MMaRsu

I could use some help with the bed of chaos. I have lost a ton of souls falling down shit. Im lvl 78, havel set equipped with a lighting iato+5.

lunlunqq

I could use some help with the bed of chaos. I have lost a ton of souls falling down shit. Im lvl 78, havel set equipped with a lighting iato+5.

bed of chaos is really a cheap boss; so I don't really mind beating with a really cheap way... you need to equip a bow, a good shield with high stability, and a fast weapon (damage does not matter).

when you first drop in, go straight for the orb on the right. after you destroy it, quit the game and reload. you will be in front of the fog door before the boss. drop in and move towards the orb on the left hugging the left wall. that way none of its attach will reach you and you won't fall into the holes. when you have a clear shot at the left orb, bow it. then quit the game and reload.

now for the last time, enter the room. start running forward immediately after touching down. stop when you are just in the reach of its hand-swiping attack and block its swipes twice. don't go in too deep as its swipes will knock you off your course. after blocking, starting running again and roll onto the root bridge. then you know what to do. just proceed forward as fast as possible.

Took care of that lightning spewing, headless and legless idontevenknowwhat. Heard about chopping tails off and getting stuff but I couldn't do it. Is it only certain creatures?

Should I move on into the garden of whatever or explore the other branches of the parish?

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm when Demon's servers are going offline? Gonna try it after Dark but wanted to make sure I get the full experience.

one85x

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm when Demon's servers are going offline? Gonna try it after Dark but wanted to make sure I get the full experience.
Only official word is that the online will be extended into 2012. They'll probably give a more specific date months before it actually happens, so you should be fine.

MechaX

Just had my first invasion in the Tomb of Giants (I am surprised people even attempt to invade in that place). The thing was, I wasn't even planning on staying in there long; I only went human to get the Paladin set and I decided to summon some one to expedite things.

Naturally, after getting half of his health blasted off with a Crystal Soulmass spell, he runs back into the room with the
Pinwheels
and the Tiny Skeletons. Keep in mind with the invader and the guy I summoned, the frame rate here was in the single fucking digits. And every time we almost manage to kill the invader, he scurries off around a sea of
Pinwheels
/baby skeletons and uses a humanity to heal himself, and repeat for the next 5 minutes. The guy must have downed like 6-7 humanity and at a certain point I was like "It can't be that serious." and just went through the fog gate.

I would have to wonder why From only half-way tried to do something by removing the ability to heal by Flask, but still keeping in the ability to heal by humanity (Heal is another situation, since it doesn't restore you anywhere close to full health and it takes a long time to do).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Are the group of rats by the bonfire in the Depths really the fastest place to farm Humanity? I need over 20 for the Chaos Covenant now, and it's kind of taking forever. I have the ring equipped too.

CatPee

Are the group of rats by the bonfire in the Depths really the fastest place to farm Humanity? I need over 20 for the Chaos Covenant now, and it's kind of taking forever. I have the ring equipped too.

The Skeleton Babies in the Catacombs drop a lot more, but are a bit tougher to grab.

Insaniac

The Skeleton Babies in the Catacombs drop a lot more, but are a bit tougher to grab.

skeleton babies are probably the best place merely for the fact that you can OHKO them in addition to them infinitely respawning.

I do like doing the Duke's Archives with the picasa (cthulu monsters) because after you turn off the 'alarm' they just stand in a big cluster so if you have wrath of the gods you can kill nearly all of them in one hit

Diomedes

If you're at the tomb of giants, the skeleton babies are my favourite; went from 20~30 humanity to 99 in two separate trips (bring repair powder if you plan on staying long) and acquired at least 300k souls.

It's a huge pain in the ass to get there since no fires nearby to warp to, but with fall control and cast light it's relatively painless if you keep up the pace and don't fight anything.

From Firelink, fall down some bridges in the catacombs, to just above the wheel skeletons then sprint for the Pinwheel boss area. Cast light and roll past the giant skeletons to quickly hit the first bonfire and prevent them from catching up. Run for the next bonfire, may have to kill one skeleton beast, rest again. Cast light and run for the tunnel, everything following should fall off or give up. The next part is trickiest but works for me; kill the first bone pillar by the rocks, then there's a small ledge with a rock that I use as a place marker for sniping. Pick off the pillar in the distance, then aim for the rock wall and shoot the giant skeleton with and arrow to the knee; when he comes running to fight sometimes jumps right off the ledge. Run past the two pillar ambush and kill the bow giant then the pillars. Put the bow back on and stick to the left edge of the tunnel, from here moving forward slightly each time, can pick off three pinwheels with no risk, then move to the right and pick off the fourth (sometimes falls off the ledge), can take out the last pinwheel if you like by using the ledges and then I return to the start of the water and you're there.

I like the Silver knight straightsword moveset for killing babies, or Quelaag's, haven't found anything else to my liking. Run in the left side of the water and clockwise back to the ramp, should get max spawns (with covetous silver, max spawns seems to be 1305 souls on NG) then wait a few sec for respawns to be ready, rinse and repeat. The humanity drops don't stick around long so after killing a set mash on X to pick up. Repair powder helps if you want to stick around long, Heal spell can help but if you're getting hit can use humanities to heal and it will help drop rate, double benefits.

That took longer to explain than I thought, hope it helps.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I killed Gwendolyn without ever joining his Covenant, so I can only invade with the cracked red eye stone, yah? (I'm done with Forest Convenant). Very few people accept my Red Soapstone Challenge. Lame.

Ill Saint

I killed Gwendolyn without ever joining his Covenant, so I can only invade with the cracked red eye stone, yah? (I'm done with Forest Convenant). Very few people accept my Red Soapstone Challenge. Lame.

You may be able to join the Darkwraiths if
you haven't placed the lord vessel before fighting the Four Kings.

Ok, so what are the negatives to joining with goldie locks at the firelinks area? I was reluctant because I didn't want to lock myself out of anything. Guess that's the negative of going in blindly.

Does he just teach me something and then I'm on my way or once I talk to/join someone else, I lose the ability he taught me?

Ill Saint

Ok, so what are the negatives to joining with goldie locks at the firelinks area? I was reluctant because I didn't want to lock myself out of anything. Guess that's the negative of going in blindly.

Does he just teach me something and then I'm on my way or once I talk to/join someone else, I lose the ability he taught me?

Is 'goldie locks' Petrus? You can join and break covenants as you like. But yes, for some, you will lose their perks or abilities they grant you.

You will end up locking yourself out of certain things on your first run, unless you want to completely spoil everything for yourself by looking up wiki's. It's not a negative, it's simply your unique experience.

If you're at the tomb of giants, the skeleton babies are my favourite; went from 20~30 humanity to 99 in two separate trips (bring repair powder if you plan on staying long) and acquired at least 300k souls.

It's a huge pain in the ass to get there since no fires nearby to warp to, but with fall control and cast light it's relatively painless if you keep up the pace and don't fight anything.

From Firelink, fall down some bridges in the catacombs, to just above the wheel skeletons then sprint for the Pinwheel boss area. Cast light and roll past the giant skeletons to quickly hit the first bonfire and prevent them from catching up. Run for the next bonfire, may have to kill one skeleton beast, rest again. Cast light and run for the tunnel, everything following should fall off or give up. The next part is trickiest but works for me; kill the first bone pillar by the rocks, then there's a small ledge with a rock that I use as a place marker for sniping. Pick off the pillar in the distance, then aim for the rock wall and shoot the giant skeleton with and arrow to the knee; when he comes running to fight sometimes jumps right off the ledge. Run past the two pillar ambush and kill the bow giant then the pillars. Put the bow back on and stick to the left edge of the tunnel, from here moving forward slightly each time, can pick off three pinwheels with no risk, then move to the right and pick off the fourth (sometimes falls off the ledge), can take out the last pinwheel if you like by using the ledges and then I return to the start of the water and you're there.

I like the Silver knight straightsword moveset for killing babies, or Quelaag's, haven't found anything else to my liking. Run in the left side of the water and clockwise back to the ramp, should get max spawns (with covetous silver, max spawns seems to be 1305 souls on NG) then wait a few sec for respawns to be ready, rinse and repeat. The humanity drops don't stick around long so after killing a set mash on X to pick up. Repair powder helps if you want to stick around long, Heal spell can help but if you're getting hit can use humanities to heal and it will help drop rate, double benefits.

That took longer to explain than I thought, hope it helps.

Hmm is there youtube link to this, sounds interesting! :)

CatPee

People accept a hell of a lot at the start of the Kiln of the First Flame.

Dresden

He'll just ask you to join his covenant. Join it and you can leave it right afterward if you wish, it'll still open up his vendor page.

Oh boy. Am I stuck here on this little cliff in darkroot basin? Pillaged a dead body and got crummy equipment and see no way out of here haha.

Summoned someone for the first time at the gargoyle battle. Dude won it for me. Thanks, bro.

Dresden

Oh boy. Am I stuck here on this little cliff in darkroot basin? Pillaged a dead body and got crummy equipment and see no way out of here haha.

Summoned someone for the first time at the gargoyle battle. Dude won it for me. Thanks, bro.

Look down, there's a path you can drop to.

Styles

I can't believe how frustrating it was to go through the catacombs this time around with a level 20 sorcerer. I didn't remember it being this bad in my other saves. Used a magic imbued Scimtar +5, but got overwhelmed by those stupid skeletons. So I decided to sprint through all of them to the second bonfire after I had just lost 10,000 souls and 3 humanity. What do ya know, it worked...

One of the infuriating thing I had to deal with in Dark Souls, ever.

Look down, there's a path you can drop to.
The mechanics of this game are amazing. While stuck there, I kept looking down and wondering if I can make it. I pose the question here on gaf but upon returning to the game, I see a ghost of another player. I think "ha, he's stuck here like me OR maybe he'll show me a way out'. But just then, I noticed a marking on the ground below that wasn't there before so I jumped and, voila, I stayed alive.

Any tips on tackling the sleeping knights in the garden area? I ran by all of them only to end up against the beautiful Moonlight Butterfly. Didn't really enjoy killing it =/. But yeah, the one strike I attempted on a knight as it woke up didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'll experiment next time I play.

J-Roderton

Any tips on tackling the sleeping knights in the garden area? I ran by all of them only to end up against the beautiful Moonlight Butterfly. Didn't really enjoy killing it =/. But yeah, the one strike I attempted on a knight as it woke up didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'll experiment next time I play.

Don't be afraid to get close to them. Even their slow motion spell thingy won't affect you much then. Don't know about you, but I was using the drake sword against them, and it killed them rather easily. I used to farm there.

Just block, expecting you have OK stamina, and just slash away. Stay close to them and try circling around to their backs. It helps to learn their attack patterns, too. Hope that helps you out a little.

And always try one on one. Don't pull more than that if you can.

Also, there is a spot in the area with an ambush of tree guys and two stone dudes that has the Elite Knight set laying there. It's to the right side. Can't miss it.

Booshka

Best all around weapon in the game. A +15 DGM with like Darkmoon Blade will hit harder but it'll never have the speed, range, and moveset of the BKGA.

I've been messing around with a DGM +15, not using any enchants beside Resins, so I can keep my level lower (75) and get more activity, but it's a pretty fun weapon to use. I have Giant Helm, Gauntlets, and Leggings at +5, then the Wanderer Coat at +10, with the Ring of Favor and Flip Roll ring. I get the 56 poise needed to not get stunlocked from most hits, and those that stun me are slow enough that I can roll back before the second lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom