• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Got summoned into the Forest on my level 75 character and got into a game with someone who is obviously clueless about this game. Guy had terrible gear and was using the Drake Sword, he must have been farming there forever and leveling, but still had no clue about getting better armor and weapons. I felt so bad for him, so I dropped him my Lightning Claymore +4 for him to keep. Lead him through the forest, systematically clearing out all the NPC's, Trees, Mushrooms and Cats, and one Blue Invader.

Then I lead him to the boss, he apparently didn't know he could heal phantoms, so I used a Humanity to heal before we fought the boss. He summoned another player and we made our way to Sif. He sat back shooting arrows that did like 50 damage the whole time, and didn't heal for us, when we were the ones actually under the Wolf doing damage. The other guy used a Humanity to heal, and I had enough health to survive the fight, but it was close. Hopefully that Lightning Claymore will help him get through the rest of the game, he needs all the help he can get.

J-Roderton

^That's hilarious. Hopefully you helped him out a little.

What is the name of the ring that allows you to flip around, and where can I get it?

Booshka

What is the name of the ring that allows you to flip around, and where can I get it?

Dark Wood Grain Ring, you get it by Joining the Forest Covenant, and killing an NPC that appears after you join it. It is a fog ring assassin that guards Shiva. He will drop it. You must join the covenant for them to appear, and the covenant will be broken once you attack them.

J-Roderton

Dark Wood Grain Ring, you get it by Joining the Forest Covenant, and killing an NPC that appears after you join it. It is a fog ring assassin that guards Shiva. He will drop it. You must join the covenant for them to appear, and the covenant will be broken once you attack them.

Well crap. I've already left that covenant to join the Princess Guard. I saw that NPC that you were talking about, at one point. I'll have to do a little back tracking, I suppose. Thanks.

Got summoned into the Forest on my level 75 character and got into a game with someone who is obviously clueless about this game. Guy had terrible gear and was using the Drake Sword, he must have been farming there forever and leveling, but still had no clue about getting better armor and weapons. I felt so bad for him, so I dropped him my Lightning Claymore +4 for him to keep. Lead him through the forest, systematically clearing out all the NPC's, Trees, Mushrooms and Cats, and one Blue Invader.

Then I lead him to the boss, he apparently didn't know he could heal phantoms, so I used a Humanity to heal before we fought the boss. He summoned another player and we made our way to Sif. He sat back shooting arrows that did like 50 damage the whole time, and didn't heal for us, when we were the ones actually under the Wolf doing damage. The other guy used a Humanity to heal, and I had enough health to survive the fight, but it was close. Hopefully that Lightning Claymore will help him get through the rest of the game, he needs all the help he can get.

Wish someone would drop me a great weapon.

Booshka

Wish someone would drop me a great weapon.

Just make one, upgrade whatever weapon's moveset you like the most to +10, then ascend it to Lightning. Or if you have high STR or DEX, and the weapon has B or A scaling, then upgrade it to +15. There you go, great weapon.

J-Roderton

Definitely go with lightning. I'm at +3 lightning uchigatana and it's great. Should be even better at +5. In the process of making a fire weapon but not sure which one I want to upgrade.

Zaptruder

Banned
I can't believe how frustrating it was to go through the catacombs this time around with a level 20 sorcerer. I didn't remember it being this bad in my other saves. Used a magic imbued Scimtar +5, but got overwhelmed by those stupid skeletons. So I decided to sprint through all of them to the second bonfire after I had just lost 10,000 souls and 3 humanity. What do ya know, it worked...

One of the infuriating thing I had to deal with in Dark Souls, ever.

Haha... I remember thinking how easy it was with my sorcerer... because I sprinted past skeletons to kill the necro everytime.

Uh oh. If this is how newcomers are viewed, I'm in deep shit. I have no idea what I'm doing and learning as I go. Using a +4 scimitar and deafault armor. No lightning enhanced weapons and I have no idea what new options are available when I summon someone nor do I know why the hell I was invaded by some glowing red duder.

Whatever you learned from wherever is over my head because the game isn't really telling me anything...

Booshka

Uh oh. If this is how newcomers are viewed, I'm in deep shit. I have no idea what I'm doing and learning as I go. Using a +4 scimitar and deafault armor. No lightning enhanced weapons and I have no idea what new options are available when I summon someone nor do I know why the hell I was invaded by some glowing red duder.

Whatever you learned from wherever is over my head because the game isn't really telling me anything...

Sure I talked a little shit about him, but I helped him through a very tough area of the early game, and gave him a fantastic weapon, for nothing. You'll get plenty of help if you ask for it.

Dresden

Pendant was a troll, guys.

Unless it really is true that dropping it on the ground in Four Kings instablows them. Lol.

Just remember that you can heal phantoms by drinking flasks and you'll be good to go. And you always have darksouls-gaf for help (seriously, this bunch is like the most helpful group ever).

Sure I talked a little shit about him, but I helped him through a very tough area of the early game, and gave him a fantastic weapon, for nothing. You'll get plenty of help if you ask for it.
The game is intimidating enough. I'd hate to have my efforts be considered wrong. I'm liking the game but still feel I lack the knowledge needed to fully appreciate it like many of you. Do you guys use guides, wikis or just general knowledge from similar titles?

Because someone saying something like "ascend your weapon to lightning" is total wtf to me haha. Got murdered by gargoyle brothers but a summon took care of them in like 4 hits total...

Guess I should just farm and level up before attempting adventuring out further. Don't want my default duds and weapons holding me back. Any new armor or weapon I get slows me down.

Edit: played for over 11 hours and my vitality, endurance and all that hover around 14-15 and faith is at 8 still and attunement is what? I just have one slot whatever that is. Spells? Don't have any. I'm a wanderer. What am I doing wrong?

J-Roderton

Use this thread. Helped me a lot. Hell, a whole lot.

I came into this game not knowing anything- never play this type of game either. I got a guide book, use the wiki and gaf. That's about it. Kind of figured it out as I went along. First 8 or so hours of the game was pretty much the hardest thing I'd ever played, until I figured out how stuff worked.

Use this thread. Helped me a lot. Hell, a whole lot.

I came into this game not knowing anything- never play this type of game either. I got a guide book, use the wiki and gaf. That's about it. Kind of figured it out as I went along. First 8 or so hours of the game was pretty much the hardest thing I'd ever played, until I figured out how stuff worked.
I guess what gets me is the seemingly hidden stuff. There was a solid wall that I would have ignored if there wasn't a message saying "try attacking". When I do, the wall vanishes, not crumbles, exposing a bonfire. Was a bit saddened that I wouldn't have known that and would have potentially wasted a shit load of time if I had gotten killed and sent back to a previous bonfire.

But I need to remind myself it's like SMB all over again. Hidden 1ups, invisible blocks, secret areas etc. All that and it was mostly spread and found with a community.

By the way, I hear there's a way to warp between bonfires? How? Kills me that Mr. Shittalker shop keeper is way too far out of my way in the undead burg when I want to restock my arrows and firebombs.

Booshka

I guess what gets me is the seemingly hidden stuff. There was a solid wall that I would have ignored if there wasn't a message saying "try attacking". When I do, the wall vanishes, not crumbles, exposing a bonfire. Was a bit saddened that I wouldn't have known that and would have potentially wasted a shit load of time if I had gotten killed and sent back to a previous bonfire.

But I need to remind myself it's like SMB all over again. Hidden 1ups, invisible blocks, secret areas etc. All that and it was mostly spread and found with a community.

By the way, I hear there's a way to warp between bonfires? How? Kills me that Mr. Shittalker shop keeper is way too far out of my way in the undead burg when I want to restock my arrows and firebombs.

Little over half way through the game you will get an item that allows you to warp from any bonfire to specific bonfires.

CatPee

Upgrade your shit and use the Talk option with NPCs. You'll learn loads. Reading Item Descriptions and using Select/Back button to find out the qualities of the attributes/stats in the character menu also helps.

The game is intimidating enough. I'd hate to have my efforts be considered wrong. I'm liking the game but still feel I lack the knowledge needed to fully appreciate it like many of you. Do you guys use guides, wikis or just general knowledge from similar titles?

Because someone saying something like "ascend your weapon to lightning" is total wtf to me haha. Got murdered by gargoyle brothers but a summon took care of them in like 4 hits total...

Guess I should just farm and level up before attempting adventuring out further. Don't want my default duds and weapons holding me back. Any new armor or weapon I get slows me down.

Edit: played for over 11 hours and my vitality, endurance and all that hover around 14-15 and faith is at 8 still and attunement is what? I just have one slot whatever that is. Spells? Don't have any. I'm a wanderer. What am I doing wrong?

I have only recently started playing the game (well, tail end of November) and it is very daunting experience at first because you are't really sure what you are doing is right or wrong, or where to go, what to use etc. But from the start there is really only one route you can take safely, and you learn very quickly how important blocking is,and even more important, that having patience is vital. It's really like nothing else I've played in that regard.

For help and questions I use:
- The Dark Souls wiki (http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/)
- PS3 Trophies (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/da...uls-trophy-guide-roadmap-tips-strategies.html)
- And really the best place around, here! These community threads have been an amazing help for me, guided me in the right direction, talking about secret areas, covenants, weapon upgrades etc. So good.

Fuck, talking about Dark Souls just makes me want to play it, but as it's New Years Day we have to be all social and stay away from the PS3. I could be social in Dark Route Garden though having PvP! :p

I could of finished the game by now but I have been spending so much time exploring and levelling and playing PVP/co-op. I am probably a little over-leveled now for the first time through the game, but I don't think it really matters to be honest, it's the sort of game you play at your own pace and do what you want. My trouble is I find a cool new weapon, the Silver Knight Sword was a great example, but I couldn't use it yet, so I just grinded until I could, even though I had a more powerful Lightning Claymore +4. I've also farmed Humanities so I can complete the Chaos Covenant, and grinded lots to level up my Pyro Glove.

I've done lots of the story path, but I've also done other stuff too. I have the Lord Vessel and I've been to the Catacombs and finished that. I can now either go to Tomb of Giants, Dukes Archives or head towards New Londo Ruins. Not sure which yet!

Enjoy Dark Souls, its absolutely the best game of 2011 for me, and one of the most memorable I've ever played.

Moobabe

Finally getting into this after it'd been sitting in my backlog. I'm getting there, playing as a Pyromancer, and I'm still using the hand axe after 9 hours... What should I be using instead? Oh and I've put loads of points in intelligence; I gather that was stupid.

mxgt

Banned
The Skeleton dogs in Tomb of the Giants on NG+ do not fuck around, goddamn.

Died multiple times on my journey to Nito, losing 200k souls in the process D:

edbrat

Finally getting into this after it'd been sitting in my backlog. I'm getting there, playing as a Pyromancer, and I'm still using the hand axe after 9 hours... What should I be using instead? Oh and I've put loads of points in intelligence; I gather that was stupid.

You should use whatever weapon you are comfortable with and upgrade it, if you have been levelling int you could make it a magic or enchanted weapon to scale with your int or you could go for an elemental weapon for a bigger hit sooner, but without the long term scaling effects. Weapon upgrading is one thing I think you should read a wiki for (esp for non demons vets) as it is complex and it adds nothing to the gameplay to waste a load of materials and time because you dont understand the system.

If you have high int, grab a catalyst and some spells, there are some people to rescue who can teach you some badass spells.

If you want a good early game weapon ...
grab a load of arrows, find a nice position under the bridge where you can see the red dragons tail, shoot the tail a few dozen times and you will get a sword which will take you to sens fortress quite comfortably

edbrat

Also don't forget to upgrade to your pyro glove! Have you been to the depths yet?
make sure you roll into barrels when you do

edbrat

The Skeleton dogs in Tomb of the Giants on NG+ do not fuck around, goddamn.

Died multiple times on my journey to Nito, losing 200k souls in the process D:

They are tricky, my tactic is get one ranged hit in then make sure I get to the side of them quickly, never stay in front unless you are an armoured tanking monster yourself.

It's bugging me: What would I have needed to efficiently take down the gargoyles? And how does one chop off a tail? Because I hacked and slashed on my several attempts and nada but the summon got it in what seemed like one hit. Is it a proximity thing like the back stab or does it have a specific amount of HP?

It's not sitting well with me that I didn't defeat them on my own.

Do it on the non-fire breathing Gargoyle and just keep smacking his tail. It will come off!

It took me a while to be able to beat the Gargoyles. I didnt summon anyone but I levelled up for ages first!

Also, don't worry too much about the tail weapon, there are two further opportunities to get it and you'll be a super hard bastard by then! :)

Definitely go with lightning. I'm at +3 lightning uchigatana and it's great. Should be even better at +5. In the process of making a fire weapon but not sure which one I want to upgrade.

I have a fire uchigatana and a lightning iaito. Both maxed out, the fire uchi does a bit more damage and I think more enemies are weak against fire than lightning. It's very strong against ornstein/smough and the silver knights in anor londo. It did more damage to them than my upgraded BKGA even.

Effect

What do people suggest for someone that has not play either Demon or Dark Souls? What would be better to buy? Is one easier to get into? One more forgiving in terms of death (in the case check points/save points, easier to defend, etc)?

I've finally made it to Kiln. PvP there is serious business. Before my phantom invades this one guy, he casts TWoP and I'm stuck blocking hits with my greatshield. Another guy started bowing so I did the same and I was killed out of nowhere while doing it. Where's the proper etiquette?

I think it's about time I go on an NPC killing spree to get ready for NG+. I'm holding on to 200+k souls instead of lvling up cause I wanna help my friend take on the last 2 lords and Gwyn.

EDIT: I know humanity carries over to NG+. What about souls?

eh I just missed fighting Paladin Leroy in the Tomb of Giants & now didn't get his armor after defeating Nito.

Is there any way easier way back to the Tomb of Giants than going through the Catacombs > Tomb Of Giants?

Also how effective is the Fog of Ring supposed to be?
Enemies are pretty much attacking me when I get in range. I remember seeing videos of people literally brushing against enemies without them noticing when they wear that ring.

What do people suggest for someone that has not play either Demon or Dark Souls? What would be better to buy? Is one easier to get into? One more forgiving in terms of death (in the case check points/save points, easier to defend, etc)?

Demon Souls is way easier to exploit.
You can basically have a near unlimited amount of health herbs & you can spam powerful magic at a distance for every encounter & accessories that replenish you magic points over time.

If you want to play legit, I would say Dark Souls is slightly more accessible & fair.

I've finally made it to Kiln. PvP there is serious business. Before my phantom invades this one guy, he casts TWoP and I'm stuck blocking hits with my greatshield. Another guy started bowing so I did the same and I was killed out of nowhere while doing it. Where's the proper etiquette?

I think it's about time I go on an NPC killing spree to get ready for NG+. I'm holding on to 200+k souls instead of lvling up cause I wanna help my friend take on the last 2 lords and Gwyn.

EDIT: I know humanity carries over to NG+. What about souls?

Souls carry over.

NG+ is seriously easy. And the enemies will drop a TON more souls so don't sweat 200k. That's chump change in NG+.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The game will not tell you anything. It's basically Demon's Souls 2 and like Demon's Souls: It never explains anything and the wiki is the best place to learn stuff, for better or worse.

I need to sit down and start Dark Souls. But I know I'll start it, go through Ass Creed Bro/Rev and then my PS3 will somehow die and take my Dark Souls save with it because Scamo has to lock saves instead of just locking trophy shit. :|

The Drake sword seems to deplete rather quickly. Is it gone for good once it reaches zero or does it remain in your inventory until repaired? Also, the dragon's tail respawned so can I get another?

The Drake sword seems to deplete rather quickly. Is it gone for good once it reaches zero or does it remain in your inventory until repaired? Also, the dragon's tail respawned so can I get another?

It remains in your inventory until you go and repair it, it just won't do much damage. Also, the dual-handed R2 move really depletes the sword, the other moves not so much.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If you haven't already, buy both weapon and armor repair boxes so you can fix your shit at any bonfire. Some people who play the game completely blind don't realize they can do this.

If you haven't already, buy both weapon and armor repair boxes so you can fix your shit at any bonfire. Some people who play the game completely blind don't realize they can do this.
I did so because of that sword. I was hoping to kill the dragon but I had to repair the sword. Not having the box, I foolishly rushed my return to the blacksmith only to die. So after gathering my souls, I turned around and (carefully lol) made my way back to the merchant and bought the box.

After skimming around the wiki, I'm actually more at ease with just letting things be. Whatever happens, happens. I released a knight from a cell and looking up what that meant, I discovered various options on dealing with him and certain events that take place. I was overwhelmed at first but I know that multiple playthroughs will provide me multiple experiences regarding this one scenario. More than I can say about other games and their scripted npc encounters.

Getting summoned and helping other players is sooo rewarding. Just as I was feeling burnt out on DS, trying the multiplayer really added something new. Not only do I feel like a good samaritan, but I get loads of souls to lvl up and get humanity too.

edit: the only thing is, that it takes a long time to get summoned.

Getting summoned and helping other players is sooo rewarding. Just as I was feeling burnt out on DS, trying the multiplayer really added something new. Not only do I feel like a good samaritan, but I get loads of souls to lvl up and get humanity too.

edit: the only thing is, that it takes a long time to get summoned.

Yeah that's the only thing, lots of waiting around. I kinda wish you could drop the summon sign and continue to play anywhere in the game, not just the area surrounding the summon drop. A proper invite system would be RAD too, I'd play this fucker forever if I could play online with my friends.

On NG+ you'll be able to get another, but not on the current game.

You should grab the Claymore from under the Dragon too, it can be upgraded beyond the power of the Drakes sword, but it is heavier so it's slower to swing etc. Great weapon though. Also, if you like the Claymore, consider the Bastard Sword too, it's very similar.

On NG+ you'll be able to get another, but not on the current game.

You should grab the Claymore from under the Dragon too, it can be upgraded beyond the power of the Drakes sword, but it is heavier so it's slower to swing etc. Great weapon though. Also, if you like the Claymore, consider the Bastard Sword too, it's very similar.

Is the Claymore under the Red Dragon at the Bridge? If yes, when's a good time to take him on?

Yeah that's the only thing, lots of waiting around. I kinda wish you could drop the summon sign and continue to play anywhere in the game, not just the area surrounding the summon drop. A proper invite system would be RAD too, I'd play this fucker forever if I could play online with my friends.

Agreed. Wish there was voice chat too.

krakov

Is the Claymore under the Red Dragon at the Bridge? If yes, when's a good time to take him on?

If you have a good bow you can take him out at any time. It's pretty hard to straight up fight him with melee as his attacks are really random.

I would recommend standing on the other side of the bridge where the stairs down are and wait until he lands on the bridge, then just run under him and light the bonfire under where he usually sits. You are then free to just go out and get the items, and also praise the sun.

Nah you don't need to take him on, he's super hard. Basically get onto the bridge up the set of stairs. Run across from the stairs into the little bit that gives you cover from the fire. After 30 seconds or so the Dragon will jump down in front of you. At this point, run under him and keep running! There should be a load of pickups in front of you (from enemies that the fire killed). One of those is the Claymore.

Right after this is a Bonfire so fear not, run :)

If you have a good bow you can take him out at any time. It's pretty hard to straight up fight him with melee as his attacks are really random.

I would recommend standing on the other side of the bridge where the stairs down are and wait until he lands on the bridge, then just run under him and light the bonfire under where he usually sits. You are then free to just go out and get the items, and also praise the sun.
What is praise the sun? I see it written everywhere. Just an in joke or a special ability?

lunlunqq

What is praise the sun? I see it written everywhere. Just an in joke or a special ability?

this, my bro, is praise the sun!!!

imagesqtbnANd9GcTa_ZYA-Z_uLRsDItpnRgdtJ7BywMD3GbOY6LAXTTjP2_f86HZ6GEtkEE4A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom