• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

He wouldn't make the jump at the end. He just sat at distance roasting me with super flames.

Thats an issue with how you aggro'd him, or if you failed the fight the first time. Only way I was able to remedy it was by running back to where you pick up the armor to reset his pathing. It's a bit risky, but you can get him to lunge on to the cliff if you do that.

MilkBeard

They definitely upped the damage that enemies do in new game plus. Even hollow soldiers can take half of my health in one strike. Keeps some of the challenge. As a plus, the soul count has increased per kill as well.

GRIP

They definitely upped the damage that enemies do in new game plus. Even hollow soldiers can take half of my health in one strike. Keeps some of the challenge. As a plus, the soul count has increased per kill as well.

I feel like the game is a little too easy on NG+. I never really noticed any significant damage increase from enemies (including bosses), but the amount of damage I was doing was much greater (using maxed out weapons on early stage bosses). Really wasn't until I got to NG+6 till I started feeling the same sort of challenge that I had on my first playthrough.

Booshka

I feel like the game is a little too easy on NG+. I never really noticed any significant damage increase from enemies (including bosses), but the amount of damage I was doing was much greater (using maxed out weapons on early stage bosses). Really wasn't until I got to NG+6 till I started feeling the same sort of challenge that I had on my first playthrough.

Same, on NG+6 and +7 you have to approach most of the game like you did when you first played it. I prefer having SL 100-130 characters and just play them on NG+7 rather than staying low level or undergeared on NG to keep it interesting. That way I still get a fun PvE challenge with a fully built character that can partake in PvP as well.

Divius

Nope. And being a Sunbro doesn't increase your chance of getting summoned either.
Warrior of Sunlight: "Members have a higher priority connecting online with players in co-op covenants (Way of White, Warrior of Sunlight, and Princess's Guard) on the network. This reduces the risk of invasions, as the connection slot is used for co-op instead of invasion."

Maybe 'chance' wasn't the correct word, but that is what meant.^

Sullichin

Warrior of Sunlight: "Members have a higher priority connecting online with players in co-op covenants (Way of White, Warrior of Sunlight, and Princess's Guard) on the network. This reduces the risk of invasions, as the connection slot is used for co-op instead of invasion."

Maybe 'chance' wasn't the correct word, but that is what meant.^

Yeah, I don't think that's true.

how do u trigger the merchant that sits underneath the sewer bridge where the undead female merchant lives? i didn't even think of looking for NPCs under there my first playthrough

I think he shows up there when you beat the Gaping Dragon.

i have that guy, apparently i was talking about shiva of the east. but when i entered the forest he got aggro'd somehow and wouldn't stop following me until i killed him, even using a bonefire didn't stop his aggro. not sure why he was angry maybe bc i wasn't in the forest covenant yet. so that sucks, guess i can't get him. it seems you have to be currently in the forest covenant for him to show up too.

Sullichin

i have that guy, apparently i was talking about shiva of the east. but when i entered the forest he got aggro'd somehow and wouldn't stop following me until i killed him, even using a bonefire didn't stop his aggro. not sure why he was angry maybe bc i wasn't in the forest covenant yet. so that sucks, guess i can't get him. it seems you have to be currently in the forest covenant for him to show up too.

You have to join the forest covenant for him to show up. He will be in Darkroot, and then if you go to lower Blighttown you can also find him there and buy weapons from him.

MilkBeard

Yeah, actually, there is a weird imbalance to New Game Plus that I've noticed. The bosses are really weak, and I've beat them all easily. They don't really do much damage either. At the same time, getting hit by a hollow soldier takes half my health, and some of the other enemies around the undead church are taking more than half. The channeller has one shotted me with his trident thing before.

So there is challenge in the sense that if I get careless, I will die, but it's a much quicker run through, because I've already gone through and rung one bell and I'm on my way to blighttown and it hasn't been very long at all.

Judging by the strong low level enemy attacks, I was assuming that the gargoyles were going to be tough but I beat them without any challenge whatsoever. Same with the moonlight butterfly, although that boss was easy the first time too.

When you join the forest covenant Shiva appears in the forest, and then only when you speak to him will he appear in Blighttown afaik (just on my latest run he didn't appear in Blighttown because I hadn't spoke to him in the forest yet, cue a trip back up to the forest!)

If Shiva is in the forest and aggro'd that means you have joined the forest covenant and then left it (by joining another covenant most likely). Resting at a bonfire won't de-aggro him, you have to go 'absolve your sins' with Oswald in the Gargoyle belltower, then rejoin the forest covenant. He will still be hostile until you rejoin because you're not in the covenant again yet (confusing myself now!)

2AdEPT

Yeah, the Lifehunt Scythe. Yeah, I guess it was bleeding, I thought it was curse for some reason. Well, bleeding is a little bit better, ha. But still it's kind of a pain. Maybe next time I'll tinker with it and see if I can reduce the amount inflicted. It is strong though.
There is a best stats for each piece of armour as well although the key piece is the bloodbite ring. You don't have to use it though if you max your armour rating:

Head: Gargoyles Helm
Chest: Sage Robe...have to do the Logan stuff in Dukes.......
Legs: Gold hemmed skirt.....others are close....black iron for poise..but havels and stone have close as well.
Gauntlets: Shadow ....but I used black iron for poise when nec. despite that it made me slow roll.

so i'm at the undead parish and i can finally summon and be summoned, anyone interested in a playthrough with me ?
i was supposed to play with someone but starbound robbed him of his soul

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan/

Awesome I'll look for you:

GFWL AdEPTErik
Steam Adepterik2 ?

Blinck

fuuuck, i needed one Red Titan Slab.....wasted a ton of souls upgrading the pyro flame to +15 (souls that were "farmed" while trying to get a slab from those disgusting chaos eaters), and somehow I thought it was already ascended ( i never play pyro). Went to trade it with snuggly and got nothing! Only then I read that I needed to upgrade it one more time with Queelana.......FML.... Oh well...I'll get the slab on the next playthrough

Tacitus_

Killed the Four Kings with a YOLO strategy. 2H up, and just wail on them until they die. Took three tries until a kill so not too bad.

Now I'm in the Crystal Cave, again cursed with a bigass corpse run for the boss, though this doesn't seem too difficult after I looked up what kept healing it.

New character, level 20, trying to co-op in the Undead Church:

get summoned climb the ladder, Black Phantom casting Chaos Explosions and armed with a Dragonslayer Bow.

How is that fun for people?

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Hey guys question...

So im still kinda new to this, I am at sens fortress but keep restarting characters... on my run last night I started by going to blightown through the valley of the drakes and got the firekeeper soul, then grabbed the one from new londo and got estus flask+2. Kinda proceeded normally until the gargoyles then went to firelink to get flask+3 and the firekeeper was already dead... I didnt think she died that early. Is there a point specifically where she is killed?

2AdEPT

Hey guys question...

So im still kinda new to this, I am at sens fortress but keep restarting characters... on my run last night I started by going to blightown through the valley of the drakes and got the firekeeper soul, then grabbed the one from new londo and got estus flask+2. Kinda proceeded normally until the gargoyles then went to firelink to get flask+3 and the firekeeper was already dead... I didnt think she died that early. Is there a point specifically where she is killed?

It is the blighttown run that usually polishes her off I think.

After over two years and a few reboots. I finally fucking did it.

I am now a man, capable of doing anything.

I chose the dark ending

Divius

re dead firekeeper:
Knight Lautrec of Carim will murder Anastacia when either one of the following occurs (regardless if the player freed him or not):

- The player rings both bells of awakening
- The player collects two specific Firekeeper Souls (Undead Parish & Blighttown)

After over two years and a few reboots. I finally fucking did it.
I am now a man, capable of doing anything.
I chose the dark ending
Congrats! See you in NG+ :D

I ddn't choose the dark ending, I didn't choose anything. I just rushed towards the bonfire because I just fought fucking Gwyn and ran out of estus :p

fuuuck, i needed one Red Titan Slab.....wasted a ton of souls upgrading the pyro flame to +15 (souls that were "farmed" while trying to get a slab from those disgusting chaos eaters), and somehow I thought it was already ascended ( i never play pyro). Went to trade it with snuggly and got nothing! Only then I read that I needed to upgrade it one more time with Queelana.......FML.... Oh well...I'll get the slab on the next playthrough
Did you get the slab in Lost Izalith chest? You can also get an extra pyro glove from Eingyi, iirc, you need a certain level of INT something like 12 and need to be infected by the egghead parasite so he will become a vendor as usual.

Easiest way to farm souls btw is by co-op, you can upgrade that sucker in no time :)

Blinck

Did you get the slab in Lost Izalith chest? You can also get an extra pyro glove from Eingyi, iirc, you need a certain level of INT something like 12 and need to be infected by the egghead parasite so he will become a vendor as usual.

Easiest way to farm souls btw is by co-op, you can upgrade that sucker in no time :)

I had already used the Slab from the chest :(
And unfortunately I also killed Eingyi after doing the mercy kill on the Fair Lady, so I couldn't get another glove!

Oh well no big deal, I'm already at new game+ so I will get another red Slab soon! ( This is all for the achievment btw, I don't need it for a build or something like that, so it's all good)

do any other weapons have cool ass effects besides queelag's fury sword, and i guess MLGS? obv crystal weapon and such enchantments do but do any other regular weapons do cool shit like how the fury sword is inflamed while swinging?

Divius

do any other weapons have cool ass effects besides queelag's fury sword, and i guess MLGS? obv crystal weapon and such enchantments do but do any other regular weapons do cool shit like how the fury sword is inflamed while swinging?
Golden Tracer is pretty sweet, has a cool effect and an awesome moveset as well.

Quite a few weapons have special R2 attacks like the Dragon Great Axe (AoE effect), Golem Axe (similar wind attack as the Irom Golem), Crystal Ring Shield, Grant.... off the top of my head, there's more.

i always thought it was weird that these games didn't give effects for upgrading weapons....like why can't every fire weapon have queelag's fury sword's badass flame, magic have a line coming off the weapon, etc instead of just having effect shown when it hits. i'm gonna have to do a dex char one of these days and make good use of queelag's early, it's probably useless to me at this point (i ended up going enchanted +5 on my zweihander bc i only have 3 attunement slots and i didn't want to waste them all with enchantments on a +15, i'll save that for ng+ on this guy when i get the zweihander next go round)

are any late game bosses resistant to magic? i know seath, all i have left besides him is 4 kings and all the DLC, will my enchanted +5 zwei go weak on any of them? i never played the dlc before when i had the xbox version.

how high can i take intelligence before it's pointless? for the record i am a caster/melee hybrid mostly using enchanted zwei which has A for weapon scaling. what's the usual cap to stop int weapon scaling, like i know most stats u dont go above 40 but if i'm getting most of my melee on there, how high can i go before it's not scaling? atm i have like 16 vit/16 end/25 str/35 int

Soulhouf

i always thought it was weird that these games didn't give effects for upgrading weapons....like why can't every fire weapon have queelag's fury sword's badass flame, magic have a line coming off the weapon, etc instead of just having effect shown when it hits. i'm gonna have to do a dex char one of these days and make good use of queelag's early, it's probably useless to me at this point (i ended up going enchanted +5 on my zweihander bc i only have 3 attunement slots and i didn't want to waste them all with enchantments on a +15, i'll save that for ng+ on this guy when i get the zweihander next go round)

are any late game bosses resistant to magic? i know seath, all i have left besides him is 4 kings and all the DLC, will my enchanted +5 zwei go weak on any of them? i never played the dlc before when i had the xbox version.

how high can i take intelligence before it's pointless? for the record i am a caster/melee hybrid mostly using enchanted zwei which has A for weapon scaling. what's the usual cap to stop int weapon scaling, like i know most stats u dont go above 40 but if i'm getting most of my melee on there, how high can i go before it's not scaling? atm i have like 16 vit/16 end/25 str/35 int

You'll have a hard time against the DLC bosses with an enchanted weapon. Other than that, you'll be fine with the enchanted zwei.
The usual cap for int is 50 but 40 is enough if you aren't a pure magician.
BTW, why don't you use the Moonlight Great Sword? It's a great weapon for int based builds.

Fuck im getting boned by the two gargoyles.

I don't have any humanity either so I can't summon.

You can "grind" some humanity by killing the enemies in the Undead Parish. Consecutive kills without dying in any zone where the boss is still alive will give you humanity.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Fuck im getting boned by the two gargoyles.

I don't have any humanity either so I can't summon.

You can "grind" some humanity by killing the enemies in the Undead Parish. Consecutive kills without dying in any zone where the boss is still alive will give you humanity.

Those rats in the room under the bridge will also drop humanity. Should be pretty easy to reach them from Firelink Shrine via Undead Parish.

Have you reinforced any of your weapons yet, Tawpgun?

chunk3rvd

Was shopping with the other half in River Island the other day and I couldn't help but think that one of the store assistants must be a closet Sunbro:

E1Fch7j.jpg

Phew, got em.

ProTip for the future: sometimes, particularly with bosses that are physically very large, don't lock on. Run around behind and beside them into their blind spots. And if it has a tail, attack that first.

Did you get an item drop from killing the gargoyles?

I love black phantoms that invade areas with gear and magic from later areas that one shot me, the host, and the other phantom.

Just kidding. I hate that.

Tawpgun

ProTip for the future: sometimes, particularly with bosses that are physically very large, don't lock on. Run around behind and beside them into their blind spots. And if it has a tail, attack that first.

Did you get an item drop from killing the gargoyles?

No, disappointed about that.

I got my shit kicked in by the Capra demon. Working on him now.

2AdEPT

just melted him for someone else if you want help....

AdEPTErik on GFWL
adepterik2 on steam/PSN (but I dont go on PS3 much anymore)

also just picked up the ring of fog so the dogs cant see me.
got three extra gargoyle tail axes if you want the drop......

You get another chance to get the gargoyle gear later, hint hint (not sure if it's a guaranteed drop the next time around or still a tail cut).

Tip for Capra - High poise helps a lot with getting rid of the dogs quickly. (Poise helps prevent your attack animations being interupted by enemy attacks). And the usual have your weapon at +5 is a must by now.

Took my level1 into the DLC.

Tears ahead
I wish you joy, prosperity and success - I made it to Manus and thought "NOPE!"

Oreoleo

How can you even? Doesn't that require you to kill the Hydra and such? Did you just loot run while hollow? lol!

Hydra is a chump.

But basically if you start with master key you can skip Taurus demon and go down past Havel through Darkroot Basin and Valley of Drakes and get a lot of key gear that makes the game easier. At least I'm assuming that's what he did. If you have good gear and knowledge of enemy locations and attack patterns your level becomes almost secondary.

Techies

Probably never gonna happen, but game would of been a lot more enjoyable and less of a grind if souls were separated into two categories like DOTA 2 does with it's unreliable and reliable gold system.

For instance if you kill a boss and obtain lets say 10k souls from them, and 3k from "trash" and you die, you only need to go pick up that 3k. That 10k would be soulbound to you. But if you buy something the reliable gold/souls gets used up first.

Icefrog created it, it's an ingenious system that could work for Dark Souls, which pretty much eliminates any legitimate need for a manual save system.

Add that, a single warning shot for NPC's to make an accidental hit less game ruining, then my main gripes about dark souls is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom