• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I always get summoned quickly in Lower Undead Burg, either at the start or the fog door and I see a few other signs too usually, at least on PS3.
On PS3, a Sun Bro assisted me my last time against Capra. I walked through the door and blocked, he came behind and apparently used a dark pyromancy from the DLC to one shot ole Capra. :D

Arjen

Been messing around with a new int build. Gave Velka's rapier a try. That thing is pretty beastly, love the r2.

On PS3, a Sun Bro assisted me my last time against Capra. I walked through the door and blocked, he came behind and apparently used a dark pyromancy from the DLC to one shot ole Capra. :D
Now this type of stuff actually peeves me. I don't know who they think they're helping by one-shotting early bosses with dark magic. I've seen it too, get summoned for Queelag or something and the other phantom just bops her with a couple of dark beads - whoop-di-doo :|

I guess they were taking a break from Dickwraithing.

About being cursed, putting on just one piece of armour with decent curse resistance will usually save you from being cursed.

And before facing the boss of the Depths, if you're not human it's worth going human as there is an NPC invasion (first one you've probably faced up to now) - they drop a nice chunk of souls and unique weapons too. Killing an area boss stops all invasions in that area, so do the boss last. NPC invaders are all very easy to defeat.

Where can I find a good piece of curse reducing armor?
Or is it something I craft into existing armor? I just found my first Large Ember, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it, haha.

I think I'm just using the default warrior armor right now and haven't found much in the way of additional armor in a while.

Where can I find a good piece of curse reducing armor?
Or is it something I craft into existing armor? I just found my first Large Ember, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it, haha.

I think I'm just using the default warrior armor right now and haven't found much in the way of additional armor in a while.

Light armor is usually more curse resistant, so the thief's armor can help. Also, humanity increases curse resistance.

MilkBeard

Always thought Capra was pretty easy for the most part. just stay moving, attack the dogs when you get a chance. Having a wide arced weapon always helps me to get multiple guys in one hit. Or a spear and shield combo, so you can pick them off. The dogs will eventually separate because they are faster. Then take on Capra. Just watch his attack patterns and slice during an opening. Circling the enemy until you can attack them in the back during their swing usually works on most enemies like this.

EDIT: I do realize that some enemies are harder or easier depending on your current build and play style. I always had trouble with Iron Golem because of falling and instadeath grabs in new game plus, but a lot of people say he's pretty easy. I'm gonna exploit knocking him off next go around though. He's a pain in my ass.

eot

Banned
Deliberately knocking him off is probably harder than fighting him cleanly. What you can do though is get a weapon with insane poise damage, like the Large Club, just hit his foot a couple of times and he'll stagger. You'll kill him before he can get up again.

Tacitus_

I understand that you don't like the "run-backs", it's not for everyone.
But honestly, you shouldn't criticize the game for it. It's not an "error" in game-design or anything, it's how the game is meant to be and that's why so many people like it.

If you can save right before a Boss fog-gate where is the fun in that? That goes against the point of Dark / Demons Souls

The thing about the Souls games is that you need to make the most out of your chances and play very carefully, or else you will suffer the consequences, which are losing your souls/humanity and going back to a Bonfire, so you have to endure the whole run back once again.
That's how the game is and that's why people love it.

It's perfectly fine if you don't like it, but you shouldn't criticize the game's design. It's not unfair. Like many people said, you NEVER need to farm or grind in this game unless you want to. Many people have completed the game without levling up one single time and without upgrades - this just shows how well designed the gameplay is.

Corpse runs while learning bosses tells is bullshit though. You repeat it a bunch of times so the run becomes second nature and then die to the boss and repeat. And then there's the empty runs, with no or very few enemies, but you gotta run for minutes before you get to engage the boss again.

Even MMOs have started tightening up corpse runs. Bunch of padding they are.

MilkBeard

Deliberately knocking him off is probably harder than fighting him cleanly. What you can do though is get a weapon with insane poise damage, like the Large Club, just hit his foot a couple of times and he'll stagger. You'll kill him before he can get up again.

Yeah, I could stun him with the great scythe, if I use R2 swing. I already beat him in ng + but I find the boss to be cheap because you fall to your death easily, or he grabs you for an instant death, or if you accidentally drop your sheild or get caught in a turning animation when he's doing a big swing it's instant death. But I found a good combo to take him down, and the key was to not target lock except for specific moments. The first time I was overly reliant on target lock and it caused frustration in this particular battle with falling off to my death.

Hilariously, you can knock the guy over and he will sometimes get stuck in a fallen animation for almost a minute, but when that happened, I was just watching and not taking advantage because I didn't want to accidentally get one shotted. Next time around though, I'm gonna stun him quite a bit.

Techies

LVL 60, Nito down, going after the other lords. Ironically I had gotten to the gates of most of them already and had to turn back. Now that I can fast travel via bonfires, and since my character is already powerful enough (Black Knight Halbert my favorite weapon, glad I got that drop) I barely bother saving anymore, except of course close to the boss fights, even though I got Nito on my first try (Leeroy Jenkins style).

That and I noticed most big enemy's weaknesses is their butt...

Booshka

Corpse runs while learning bosses tells is bullshit though. You repeat it a bunch of times so the run becomes second nature and then die to the boss and repeat. And then there's the empty runs, with no or very few enemies, but you gotta run for minutes before you get to engage the boss again.

Even MMOs have started tightening up corpse runs. Bunch of padding they are.

Most Dark Souls boss runs take less than a minute when done right. They have to be there, otherwise the bloodstain mechanic wouldn't work at all, nor would the online aspect if you go human, go through the level looking for signs and risk invasion. The entire fundamentals of Souls gameplay would crumble if you could just checkpoint right in front of the boss fog for every area.

sikkinixx

So I was in the Undead Parish and the gate that is locked on the YouTube vids I watched was open for me. I was able to waltz into the church and beat it, then get the bonfire without having to side track around the building (which I did afterwards). Odd.

I also got the Drake Sword and finally beefed up my Strength to 16. Wow it's strong. Everything dies in one hit. I like the R2 attack of the katana I was using (and upgraded with some titanite stuff) but shit dying fast is nice.

I'm just really conflicted how to build my character. I wanna be fast, I think, because rolling around it easier than parrying (and safer) but I tried with a their class at first and got messed UP (I know its a hard starting class). Starting equipment kinda doesn't matter since you can get some cool stuff really early by suicide running. I kinda wanna be a faith dude since more healing would be awesome and my pyro's faith is very low. I realize I'm early in the game so I can still go whichever way but I kinda like a firm idea from the beginning so I don't waste points early.

So I was in the Undead Parish and the gate that is locked on the YouTube vids I watched was open for me. I was able to waltz into the church and beat it, then get the bonfire without having to side track around the building (which I did afterwards). Odd.

The gate is open until a Hollow Soldier sees you and closes it, so if you run up the steps you can get through before it closes.

Techies

Four Kings just went down, 6 tries, first 3 I was hitting air. Kinda misjudged their size...
I kinda like playing Dark Souls as if it's DmC

But seriously is there no other weapon that compares to the Black Knight Halbert. All other weapons seem to have half the damage and stats even if it's much slower,

Booshka

Four Kings just went down, 6 tries, first 3 I was hitting air. Kinda misjudged their size...
I kinda like playing Dark Souls as if it's DmC

But seriously is there no other weapon that compares to the Black Knight Halbert. All other weapons seem to have half the damage and stats even if it's much slower,

Plenty of other weapons have higher damage or DPS and weigh much less, you just have to invest in them a lot more with upgrades and stat scaling.

Black Knight Halberd has high base damage and mediocre scaling, so as long as you have the Twinkling to upgrade it and the min stats to wield it, you are going to do consistently good damage with low effort. It's a big reason why it is the speedrunners weapon of choice.

If you take your time and learn the upgrade system, acquire the necessary materials and embers, you can upgrade just about any generic weapon with decent stat scaling to do high damage.

MilkBeard

Black Knight Halberd is great, but my Great Scythe does more damage, mainly because I went for high Dex in my first run and I upgraded it to max. Pretty sure though that if I upgraded the Halberd to max (+5 I believe) it would be the same or maybe even slightly better. But I really like the range of the R2 attack of the Great Scythe.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Fuuuuuck Kalameet

He's actually a lot of fun once you figure him out, very well designed boss. Just did him on my Deprived run, rules were:

-ENB rules
-No rings
-No resins
-No consumables

And I did him on my SL1 no upgrade run before that, which I used the Reinforced Club in one win, and used the Giant Blacksmith Hammer in another. Ironically I got the tail cut on my Reinforced Club run. Also got my O&S kill/s done this way too. One I used a Reinforced Club, other I used the Occult Club. Rules were:

-ENB rules, except I allowed equipment changes
-No upgrades of any kind.

I need to get around to updating all of this new content on my YT channel, but I'm kind of waiting to hit my 17 min Volgarr the Viking WR, getting pretty close to proficiency. Along with a 50-minute compilation of Super Meat Boy IL's that I did that are all current WR's, along with alt char stuff at the end. Plus, a "secret vid" of SMB I did before that.

2AdEPT

He's actually a lot of fun once you figure him out, very well designed boss. Just did him on my Deprived run, rules were:

-ENB rules
-No rings
-No resins
-No consumables

And I did him on my SL1 no upgrade run before that, which I used the Reinforced Club in one win, and used the Giant Blacksmith Hammer in another. Ironically I got the tail cut on my Reinforced Club run. Also got my O&S kill/s done this way too. One I used a Reinforced Club, other I used the Occult Club. Rules were:

-ENB rules, except I allowed equipment changes
-No upgrades of any kind.

I need to get around to updating all of this new content on my YT channel, but I'm kind of waiting to hit my 17 min Volgarr the Viking WR, getting pretty close to proficiency. Along with a 50-minute compilation of Super Meat Boy IL's that I did that are all current WR's, along with alt char stuff at the end. Plus, a "secret vid" of SMB I did before that.

awesome man...make sure to post links so that I can follow your videos!!

Tacitus_

Most Dark Souls boss runs take less than a minute when done right. They have to be there, otherwise the bloodstain mechanic wouldn't work at all, nor would the online aspect if you go human, go through the level looking for signs and risk invasion. The entire fundamentals of Souls gameplay would crumble if you could just checkpoint right in front of the boss fog for every area.

So what's the reason for the bits where there are no enemies and you just spend your time running and/or waiting for/riding an elevator?

Seanspeed

Banned
So what's the reason for the bits where there are no enemies and you just spend your time running and/or waiting for/riding an elevator?
Imperfect level design. As good as it is, this is just one of the drawbacks to having a huge, connected, vertical world like this.

Soulhouf

@Techies:

You need to learn the levels layout to be able to reach the boss very quickly from the bonfire.
Because all areas are designed with that in mind, they seem long at first but you discover shortcuts and ways to bypass enemies easily by learning the pattern.
It's the game's essence and that's why people are now able to beat it in less than one hour. Dark Souls seems difficult and tedious at first but it's always fair and will generously reward you if you take time to learn how to play it.
People who aren't familiar with that kind of games need to understand that. Otherwise they will miss a lot of what makes the game great.

Tacitus_

You're only able to do that after learning the levels layout.
Because all areas are designed with that in mind, they seem long at first but you discover shortcuts and ways to bypass enemies easily by learning the pattern.
It's the game's essence and that's why people are now able to beat it in less than one hour. Dark Souls seems difficult and tedious at first but it's always fair and will generously reward you if you take time to learn how to play it.
People who aren't familiar with that kind of games need to understand that. Otherwise they will miss a lot of what makes the game great.

I did learn the shortcuts (or well, looked them up online but w/e). Why there's no bonfire in New Londo? It's just padding having to run around the shrine, wait for the elevator to get up and then ride it down.
What's the purpose of the long run in Anor Londo when you're trying to pass the two Dragonslayer archer knights?
Or the Iron Golem tower? There's one archer there, yet the climb takes ages.

Soulhouf

I did learn the shortcuts (or well, looked them up online but w/e). Why there's no bonfire in New Londo? It's just padding having to run around the shrine, wait for the elevator to get up and then ride it down.
What's the purpose of the long run in Anor Londo when you're trying to pass the two Dragonslayer archer knights?
Or the Iron Golem tower? There's one archer there, yet the climb takes ages.

You didn't take the right shortcut in New Londo bro, and don't forget to send the elevator back up after you're down. That way you never have to wait for it. You can reach the boss from Firelink in less than one minute.
As for Anor Londo, you need to endure the infamous archers trial before going to the boss. Again, less than 1 minute from the bonfire to the boss after opening the shortcuts.
In Sen you never wait for elevators since once you activate them, there are always one ready and the trip can take to 2 minutes from the bonfire to the boss, that's too long I guess.

e: sorry the original message wasn't for you.

Tacitus_

You didn't take the right shortcut in New Londo bro. You can reach the boss from Firelink in less than one minute.
As for Anor Londo, you need to endure the infamous archers trial before going to the boss. Again, less than 1 minute from the bonfire to the boss after opening the shortcuts.
In Sen you never wait for elevators since once you activate them, there are always one ready and the trip can take to 2 minutes from the bonfire to the boss, that's too long I guess.

e: sorry the original message wasn't for you.

I timed it, it takes over a minute from spawning at Firelink to just arriving at New Londo. And I'm fairly sure I took the right shortcut, dropping down after the plank bridges to the lower level. There were three knights that I skipped and then I was at the fog gate. Took a bit over three minutes in total.

I liked the game, don't get me wrong. But there were bad bits in it.

Seanspeed

Banned
The constant retracing of your steps does get a bit annoying if you're really struggling with a certain boss. I can deal with it a few times, but once I get to 5+ attempts, I feel its just tedious bullshit that's wasting my time. I understand the need for it there, but it can still suck. I remember trekking to Bed of Chaos a ton of times and there was lots of groaning involved. lol

Divius

BoC run sucks. And then I'd forget to put the ring on and die in the lava.

Luckily I've got BoC down to a science by now, haven't failed him in the last dozen of tries / co-op tries.

BoC run sucks. And then I'd forget to put the ring on and die in the lava.
Oh God, I've done that too usually when farming red titanite chunks and boning back to the bonfire. Cccssshhh!....Cccssshhh!....Cccssshhh!....YOU DIED.... FUCK!

I tried the bomb method on BoC the other day, the youtube videos made it look really easy, it took me about a dozen times to get the first branch, then she becomes aggro'd and I ran out of bombs for the second one so I was fucked. Clearly not as easy as it looks!

Techies

I do hope dark souls 2 get a better magic system especially when it comes to dual wielding spells. Why do I have to press D-Pad to cycle between force and a flame between like 4 abilities. It simply does not match the fluency of melee combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom