• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

If you beat the boss, you don't have to keep running back >:))

Yeah, it's the first tries that were the most shit since I had never done the boss and had no idea what to do with each move.
... and that fucking dual boss in Anor Londo. I spent way too much time in that (partly my fault since I had practically zero upgrades).

Yeah, it's the first tries that were the most shit since I had never done the boss and had no idea what to do with each move.
... and that fucking dual boss in Anor Londo. I spent way too much time in that (partly my fault since I had practically zero upgrades).
I was just being cheeky. :) I agree about run backs to the boss, I don't think there are too many that are annoying or long, just a couple - the run to Gwyn is tediously long especially if you're testing something out or training parries or whatever not just going for the kill - I can't really think of any where you just *have* to engage an enemy though, they are just straight runs with a couple of well-timed dodges.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
My Battlemage is finally ready for NG+7
E88y6tv.jpg

MilkBeard

So, is Dark Souls II anyone else's most anticipated game, even in light of next-gen goodness coming in the next 6 months?

Praise le sun!

Yes!

Well, I have Demon's Souls on the way, should arrive tomorrow. But yeah, in terms of upcoming releases, Dark Souls II is tops!

If only I could be so grossly incandescent....

MilkBeard

The constant retracing of your steps does get a bit annoying if you're really struggling with a certain boss. I can deal with it a few times, but once I get to 5+ attempts, I feel its just tedious bullshit that's wasting my time. I understand the need for it there, but it can still suck. I remember trekking to Bed of Chaos a ton of times and there was lots of groaning involved. lol

There's a hidden bonfire in the last tower right before you go up the side of the cliff, maybe you missed this? Once you get it, It's literally like a minute or two to run to the boss.

The boss trips can be tedious but it's just part of the game. It has never been unfair in my opinion. Definitely not without frustrations. But that is kind of the name of the game.

MilkBeard

Moonlight Greatsword, from Seath's Tail. Also some visual mods on his gear so it looks a little bit different, reminds me of the Meat Cleaver from Demon's with that mod.

Oh yeah, one of the harder tails to cut. I'm gonna have to try to cut it this playthrough.

Booshka

Oh yeah, one of the harder tails to cut. I'm gonna have to try to cut it this playthrough.

Slumbering Dragoncrest ring helps a ton, make sure you aggro him away from the wall so that you can get to the very tip of the tail, that is the part that you should be whacking at, not the base of it.

Toxi

Banned
I hate when you get behind him and he starts thrashing his tails around. He deals a ridiculous amount of damage and the tails are basically impossible to block. Seathe probably could have beaten us easily if he just turned around to face away for the entire battle.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's a hidden bonfire in the last tower right before you go up the side of the cliff, maybe you missed this? Once you get it, It's literally like a minute or two to run to the boss.

The boss trips can be tedious but it's just part of the game. It has never been unfair in my opinion. Definitely not without frustrations. But that is kind of the name of the game.
I found it, but I typically just went from the Demon Ruins bonfire cuz it was less enemies to deal with.

And I agree its not unfair or anything, it just gets annoying once you've mastered the 'getting to the boss' part and just have to keep doing it over and over. Especially when you die really quickly at the boss, don't feel like you learned anything and have to spend another couple minutes getting back.

Ok, I need this. Love mixing and matching stuff with Crimson gear and having black would make it go better with a few more armor sets.

Soulhouf

So, is Dark Souls II anyone else's most anticipated game, even in light of next-gen goodness coming in the next 6 months?

I wasn't impressed by the beta so I'm not very hyped right now.
My most anticipated games for 2014 are Oreshika 2 and Unsung Story. I hope Dark Souls II will be good, I really hope so.

Techies

Finished the game, that last fight was pretty annoying. You can't really heal or gain distance so there's only one way to fight that fight...

eot

Banned
Or you know, use all the pillars and rocks scattered about the room. I wonder why they put those there.

Sullichin

Praise le sun!
Of course

Finished the game, that last fight was pretty annoying. You can't really heal or gain distance so there's only one way to fight that fight...
It's always safe to heal as he whiffs the grab attack, other attacks not so much. He took me forever to beat my first playthrough though.

krakov

Really wish Dark Souls 2 was a Winter release, would have been perfect to have around these dark days. Still have a hard time getting into any other games so I'm pretty much still exclusively playing Demons and Dark Souls though I'm kinda out of ideas how to keep enjoying them right now.

Blinck

Really wish Dark Souls 2 was a Winter release, would have been perfect to have around these dark days. Still have a hard time getting into any other games so I'm pretty much still exclusively playing Demons and Dark Souls though I'm kinda out of ideas how to keep enjoying them right now.

I know that feeling :(
Other games just seem so "lacking" now....

If anyone has other recommendations for games with the kind of design depth that dark/demon souls has, whatever the genre, please recommend away :p

Hopefully the wait till March means we don't get another Bed of Chaos or some such rushed/unfinished areas. March seems pretty close all of a sudden actually.

Techies

Of course

It's always safe to heal as he whiffs the grab attack, other attacks not so much. He took me forever to beat my first playthrough though.

I'm just glad I had a save game just before the fight. Not gonna say how many tries it took, but it would of taken a lot less if the game was running on a solid 60FPS and if the double KO counted (We literally killed each other at one time). Had to google the best parry shield just to be able to compensate for the horrible framerate.

Think I'm getting like 15 because of that sword.

We've all one-bro'd by this point, right? If you haven't, you should try it. I never realized that with my equipment knowledge that I had forgotten how to fight bosses. I just powered through them. As a one-bro, you really have to strategize. It felt like playing the game for the first time again.

Gazoinks

We've all one-bro'd by this point, right? If you haven't, you should try it. I never realized that with my equipment knowledge that I had forgotten how to fight bosses. I just powered through them. As a one-bro, you really have to strategize. It felt like playing the game for the first time again.

I have no idea what that means.

Dibbz

Guys I just got into Londo Ruins or something, blue everywhere with water and stuff. Ran into some ghost thing, couldn't touch him. Am I supposed to run past these fellas? Text on the floor said use undead, I am a hollow already. Not sure what it meant.

Ravager61

So, I just beat the game.

Probably my game of the generation. I really wish I hadn't looked up so much stuff though. Really hampered the exploration aspect of the game which is one of my favorite parts. I made it to Anor Londo on my own but after that, I started going nuts looking at stuff on the wikis. Oh well. I'm going to try to get through Dark Souls 2 without looking up near as much information.

Probably my game of the generation. I really wish I hadn't looked up so much stuff though. Really hampered the exploration aspect of the game which is one of my favorite parts. I made it to Anor Londo on my own but after that, I started going nuts looking at stuff on the wikis. Oh well. I'm going to try to get through Dark Souls 2 without looking up near as much information.
I dunno, I think that the wiki stuff is pretty well built into the experience. Of course you can enjoy the game without it, but I liked reading the wiki pages of stuff I had already seen while at work and I NEVER look game related stuff at work outside of occasional GAF. Hell the wiki addresses are printed on the cover!

Ravager61

I dunno, I think that the wiki stuff is pretty well built into the experience. Of course you can enjoy the game without it, but I liked reading the wiki pages of stuff I had already seen while at work and I NEVER look game related stuff at work outside of occasional GAF. Hell the wiki addresses are printed on the cover!

It's just one of the things I love about Dark Souls is the sense of exploration. Not knowing whats coming next is a big part of that. It gives the game a greater sense of wonder and openness I think, which I love. When I knew all the areas I needed to go, how to get there, and what to do when I was there, I basically robbed myself of all of that.

At least it helped me beat the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Techies

One thing that went through my mind was, what if I could actually read the hint text (game loads before I can read them), why no scrolls or books. And why the lack of general information, for instance one ring says, grants a tiny bit of health. How much health...

It feels like too much information is hidden in the game.

Techies

There's another thing that kind bothered me, but think it's uniquely to me is the enemy placement in some of the areas especially the larger ones (like the lava level),

If anyone haven't noticed yet I hate anything grind and mmo related. When I see a few dozen enemies placed in one area, or two of the same enemies placed right next to each other which can be conveniently be pulled by a bow one at a time, a die little inside.

Instead of having "hundreds" of
static half bone dragons
why not have a few that roamed the area, actually moving.

MilkBeard

There's another thing that kind bothered me, but think it's uniquely to me is the enemy placement in some of the areas especially the larger ones (like the lava level),

If anyone haven't noticed yet I hate anything grind and mmo related. When I see a few dozen enemies placed in one area, or two of the same enemies placed right next to each other which can be conveniently be pulled by a bow one at a time, a die little inside.

Instead of having "hundreds" of
static half bone dragons
why not have a few that roamed the area, actually moving.

Actually I will say that Lost Izalith is my least favorite area, and the lava part with all of those big bone dragon things standing around was a little bit lazy design. Everywhere else in the game is good for me and makes sense, except that area with all the big monsters just standing static in the lava.

krakov

One thing that went through my mind was, what if I could actually read the hint text (game loads before I can read them), why no scrolls or books. And why the lack of general information, for instance one ring says, grants a tiny bit of health. How much health...

It feels like too much information is hidden in the game.

The "hint text" is item descriptions and they can all be read in your inventory. Every single item has a "scroll". You can compare pretty much everything so you can easily use the equip screen to see exactly how much health that ring will grant. It's all there if you bother to look for it.

One thing I don't really like is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of motivation to restore humanity from a gameplay standpoint? Apparently there are some curse buffs etc. but other than when I'm needing help on a boss or wanting to kindle a fire I don't really feel like I'm suffering from being undead.

Gazoinks

One thing I don't really like is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of motivation to restore humanity from a gameplay standpoint? Apparently there are some curse buffs etc. but other than when I'm needing help on a boss or wanting to kindle a fire I don't really feel like I'm suffering from being undead.

Yeah. Demon's punished you much more severely (halved HP), which they removed in Dark. Seems like they're bringing back it being more costly in Dark 2 though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom