• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Just defeated the Capra Demon, the worst boss ever.

I don't like reading guides or and I really don't ask for help. Took me hours and at the end, I felt like the only way to beat his is to basically cheese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYKAgVNS-8

Anyway, Im happy and can finally move on with the game :)

I wonder why this particular mini-boss gives a lot of people trouble? Wasn't too tough for me. Maybe for a lot of people this boss pushes them to go out of their particular comfort zone in their playstyle. Each boss has its own methods to beat, and each one might be challenging for a different person.

eot

Banned

I don't like reading guides or and I really don't ask for help. Took me hours and at the end, I felt like the only way to beat his is to basically cheese.

You killed the dogs just fine, after that it's not too hard to just duel Capra straight up. I don't think your method is particularly cheesy though. Anyway, congrats, nice that you didn't give up.

Techies

One thing I don't really like is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of motivation to restore humanity from a gameplay standpoint? Apparently there are some curse buffs etc. but other than when I'm needing help on a boss or wanting to kindle a fire I don't really feel like I'm suffering from being undead.

Increased chance of drops, that help is valuable, also increased defense ratings, the NPC's are basically super tanks.

Since I used my own "save" system I basically let my humanity hover around 5 and kindled most flames when going over 5.

Being human makes game a lot easier, unless online.

As for the carpa demon I know why people having trouble with it, you get attacked the moment you enter the area, you don't get chance to "learn", which way to run etc. It's just a badly designed area, maybe if they timed it so that you kill one dog rather safely or two with a perfect blow it would of been easier.

But I didn't have trouble with them this time around simply because I had that black halbert, stone armor, and buffed myself with that "armor enchantment" of the Pyro. I basically just went in a kept right clicking.

krakov

Being human has nothing to do with defense rating, item drops or chaos scaling. Having active humanity is what matters, hollow or human.

krakov

I love getting caught by Tranquil Walk of Peace, it's such a ridiculous thing. Is there even anything you can do while stuck in it?

You can WoG, parry, dark bead, combustion, fire storm/tempest, stunlock or just run away, the effect doesn't last very long. I'd say it's close to useless in most situations.

2AdEPT

Good for you for finding your own strategy without help! You had the best positional strategy, healing timing etc. but (and please dont take this the wrong way) but your "hitting capra with your sword" was the worst ever. ;) lol you actually rolled over capra twice from above ....even though you were forced to learn plunge attacks in the asylum and taurus! The plunge attacks with drake would probably have killed him outright. Each time he jumped down (actually rare he comes all the way up) is a golden opportunity to wail to swings on him....he doesn't swing when hunched over like he is constipated! also, each and everytime you ran up the stairs (you noticed he recovers after swinging and does not attack again for a good 3 seconds)you could have hit him once or twice before doing so...or simply taking a couple steps back, rinse and repeat.

You provided the manual on how to set yourself up for success....just hit him when you get the opportunity! There is no such thing as cheesing as a new player....whichever way you can survive is developer supported....just to be clear though, you dont have to use ranged attacks, you have lots of time to walk in and swing then walk away....unlike in later bosses. IMO
manus
is the toughest boss...hard to just walk in ...but not impossible.

Toxi

Banned

Great job! Never thought about using the Drake Sword's R2; I always just wait for openings in his swings. Might try that some time. Never consider what you do cheesing, Dark Souls demands you to take every advantage you can.

It'd be funny if you had to fight multiple Capra Demons at once.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've had Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition sitting in my steam account for a few months now, and I think I'm going to dive in, finally.

Is there anything I should know before hand, or is going in blind the best experience?

Gazoinks

I've had Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition sitting in my steam account for a few months now, and I think I'm going to dive in, finally.

Is there anything I should know before hand, or is going in blind the best experience?

Go in blind, but don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Also never put points into Resistance. Ever.

Divius

1. Get DSfix
2. Don't be afraid to explore
3. Dying is not failing

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Thanks for the feed everyone!

I jump on this game every once in a while so I forget a few things like how to plunge attack.

I guess I feel like I cheesed my way out was because I had to go commando (stripping off all my gear) so I can roll myself out.

Im not even lying when I said it took me hours to defeat him. There were times I would just get trapped as soon as I walked in and that was basically insta-death. I think the dogs is what makes it really hard.

Last night I fought the
Bell Gargoyles
. Though fairly tough..... a billion times easier to beat.

I found Blight Town but decided to go into the Depths.

Also jumping in between both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. In Demon's souls, I'm trying to defeat the first boss in Valley of Defilement. So difficult lol.

MilkBeard

As for the carpa demon I know why people having trouble with it, you get attacked the moment you enter the area, you don't get chance to "learn", which way to run etc. It's just a badly designed area, maybe if they timed it so that you kill one dog rather safely or two with a perfect blow it would of been easier.

No, I have to disagree. It's just another area that makes you aware of your surroundings and you have to act in accordance with it to win. There's a boss fog so you know you might be getting into some shit.

Divius

The thing about the Capra Demon is the fact that his rectangular area is rather small/narrow and that there's two dogs with decent poise-break that jump you, making it easy to get hit by Capra while you are stunned for a second (or even stunlocked). It's easy to get overwhelmed in there being a first time player (and don't anyone dare to deny it).

If you were to fight Capra (at the level most players are at Capra and with the equipment they have) on a more open space without the dogs people would not have that much trouble with him.

Hypron

No, I have to disagree. It's just another area that makes you aware of your surroundings and you have to act in accordance with it to win. There's a boss fog so you know you might be getting into some shit.

Yeah. And he's not even hard at all. The guy in the video above isn't even using his shield, which would make the fight a lot easier.

MilkBeard

The thing about the Capra Demon is the fact that his rectangular area is rather small/narrow and that there's two dogs with decent poise-break that jump you, making it easy to get hit by Capra while you are stunned for a second (or even stunlocked). It's easy to get overwhelmed in there being a first time player (and don't anyone dare to deny it).

If you were to fight Capra (at the level most players are at Capra and with the equipment they have) on a more open space without the dogs people would not have that much trouble with him.
Yeah I can understand that. I'm in NG+ but I remember my first time fighting him clearly. I beat him pretty easily, mainly because I was lucky in that the strategy I had learned worked with him.

It really depends on what your normal strategy is up to that point, in which Capra tests it. I said in a previous post that I've had difficulty with some other bosses that others consider easy, like the Iron Golem. I just went through NG+ and his fight was almost as annoying to me as the first time, mainly because the way I tend to fight has me falling off the ledges a lot. So then basically I learned how to adapt my playstyle so that I use lock/unlock depending on the specific moment.

MilkBeard

Yeah. And he's not even hard at all. The guy in the video above isn't even using his shield, which would make the fight a lot easier.

Yeah I was gonna say, you really need to use a shield in this battle, unless you are really good at rolling. But even then, because multiple enemies attack you at once, it's just better to use a shield and either do a backwards walk with lock on or run to the opposite side and pick the dogs off.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Testing some retexture mods, what do you guys think of this?
QvrKsaT.jpg

One thing I don't really like is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of motivation to restore humanity from a gameplay standpoint? Apparently there are some curse buffs etc. but other than when I'm needing help on a boss or wanting to kindle a fire I don't really feel like I'm suffering from being undead.
Other than online play, you're also missing out on NPC invaders who drop unique gear by staying hollow. But yes there aren't enough penalties for staying hollow in DaS than there are DeS, hopefully that is readdressed in DS2.

It's hard to tell because of the lighting, but I think the helmet would blend better if it was duller. Looks cool otherwise.

I used the Elite Knight Helm with Chester's armor for a while. Worked surprisingly well.

Looking forward to getting this armor again on my duelist.

Yeah, Chester's set is my favorite set.

Regular Knight armor with the Elite Knight helm is bee-yootiful. Quintessential DS in that it looks both designed and functional. Also, the regular Knight helm is just ugly. Showing your face in DS? GETOUTTAHERE!

MilkBeard

It's hard to tell because of the lighting, but I think the helmet would blend better if it was duller. Looks cool otherwise.

I used the Elite Knight Helm with Chester's armor for a while. Worked surprisingly well.

Looking forward to getting this armor again on my duelist.

That's a cool jacket. I'm guessing it's from the DLC?

2AdEPT

No resistance, got it.

I'll make sure I grab that before starting.

Thanks a lot, I'm sure I'll be back asking questions often..
There is a happy medium between no knowledge and knowing everything. Obviously you dont want to spoil locations and stuff, but learning how the damage bonus system works etc. is worth the investment. meeting players in the game and asking questions is fun also...gives the same feel as demon's back in 2009 where no one knew anything about anything...and shared hints via messages etc.
Thanks for the feed everyone!

I jump on this game every once in a while so I forget a few things like how to plunge attack.

I guess I feel like I cheesed my way out was because I had to go commando (stripping off all my gear) so I can roll myself out.

Im not even lying when I said it took me hours to defeat him. There were times I would just get trapped as soon as I walked in and that was basically insta-death. I think the dogs is what makes it really hard.

Last night I fought the
Bell Gargoyles
. Though fairly tough..... a billion times easier to beat.

I found Blight Town but decided to go into the Depths.

Also jumping in between both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. In Demon's souls, I'm trying to defeat the first boss in Valley of Defilement. So difficult lol.

Sounds like fermbiz is on consoles and I can switch if need be..but I am willing to help in coop and not spoil games at the same time.

AdEPTErik on GFWL and adepterik2 on steam and PSN.

2AdEPT

I was knashing at that tale for ages and nothing.

believe it or not sharper weapons actually cut better...at least that is how I feel...buff a washing pole for example and you wont miss many tails...one up swing one down with darkmoon blade, a third swing if using fire or lightning. (+15 of course) the extra reach is helpful especially for gaping ...who sometimes has the tail up high, and Seath who I found i need to use the running r1 on as he takes it away so fast.

Toxi

Banned
I was knashing at that tale for ages and nothing.
Make sure you're not attacking the base of the tail. There's a dark band around the tail near the base; attack the tail after that spot.

Also, don't stay close to the dragon's front legs when it's waddling around; it has an unblockable grab move.

GRIP

I love Tarkus so much. Got invaded at the top of Sens and didn't have to do a damn thing. Tarkus took that fool out while I was just chillen by the fog gate watching and laughing.

MilkBeard

So.... about Gaping Dragon....

Just 3 v 1'd him as a phantom and got my shit kicked in.

Gaping Dragon is all about that repetitive pattern. Once you understand it, you will see that it's the dumbest boss of the game.

EDIT: Weird, but I just saw this in a wiki:

"Killing the Channeler above the arena where the Gaping Dragon lies is a useful tactic, as the Channeler will continuously buff the Gaping Dragon, making it stronger and hit harder, and will fire sorceries at the player and any summons they might have."

I honestly don't ever remember there being a channeler in the fight. In fact I recently went through that boss battle in NG+ and don't remember a channeler. Maybe I beat the channeler without realizing it beforehand?

The attack to look out for with the Gaping Dragon imo is the walk. When you're behind if he starts walking it can be a one-hit kill depending on your HP. So if he's walking or stomping around wait until he stops to attack.

eot

Banned
1. Cut his tail off
2. Stay behind or beside, never in front

He takes way more damage if you hit him in the head, just gotta get out of the way before he charges.

Gaping Dragon is all about that repetitive pattern. Once you understand it, you will see that it's the dumbest boss of the game.

EDIT: Weird, but I just saw this in a wiki:

"Killing the Channeler above the arena where the Gaping Dragon lies is a useful tactic, as the Channeler will continuously buff the Gaping Dragon, making it stronger and hit harder, and will fire sorceries at the player and any summons they might have."

I honestly don't ever remember there being a channeler in the fight. In fact I recently went through that boss battle in NG+ and don't remember a channeler. Maybe I beat the channeler without realizing it beforehand?

Probably, you run into him if you don't drop down from the butchers. He's by a bunch of rats he's buffing.

Divius

Follow the rats in the Depths, they will guide you everywhere you need to go.

Took my level 1 Pyro into Demon Ruins, beat Firesage and Centipede, now 'ready' for Izalith. After that the catacombs to get myself a Chaos weapon.

Soulhouf

Follow the rats in the Depths, they will guide you everywhere you need to go.

Took my level 1 Pyro into Demon Ruins, beat Firesage and Centipede, now 'ready' for Izalith. After that the catacombs to get myself a Chaos weapon.

I remember making a chaos Reinforced Club right after Blighttown in my first SL1 run. It almost broke the game until post Anor Londo.

ArynCrinn

Banned
awesome man...make sure to post links so that I can follow your videos!!

Definitely will do. Just did 18 mins today in Volgarr (new WR btw), but I made quite a few mistakes and I'm sticking to my 17 min marker. BUT, I really do think with enough practice it could go down to 15 mins with near perfect execution.

It's getting kind of retarded of much crap I need to upload, getting near 28GB rendered at 1080p through Vegas Pro 11. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom