• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I killer yhe channeler yesterday....I didn't know who he was. As soon as I walked through the white fog, he was just dancing in front of me with rats surrounding him. My first reaction was kill him and Im like wtf was that about lol. Then I started wondering was I supposed to kill him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So I just started playing this after picking it up during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday event on XBL and I have a question. I just finished ringing the first bell at the Undead Church and I freed Lautrec from his cell. He's at the Firelink Shrine and there are two options with him apparently: Kill him now or wait for him to
Kill Anastasia
then invade his world later and kill him then. What's the best option in this situation?

So I just started playing this after picking it up during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday event on XBL and I have a question. I just finished ringing the first bell at the Undead Church and I freed Lautrec from his cell. He's at the Firelink Shrine and there are two options with him apparently: Kill him now or wait for him to
Kill Anastasia
then invade his world later and kill him then. What's the best option in this situation?
The best option is to stop reading walkthroughs. :D

i saw some dude using brass knucles or stuff like that in coop, i had no idea this kind of weapon existed
is it viable to clear the game or is it really just a weapon to goof around ? i have a purely str character

Kill Anastasia

invading him gives you his armor set, other than that i think you get the same stuff than you would by killing him normally
also i think killing him in his cell is considered as a sin while invading him isn't

but really, you should stop reading wikis for that kind of stuff (but well considering i started using guides starting gate of illusion in la mulana i'm not in a good position to judge)

Divius

i saw some dude using brass knucles or stuff like that in coop, i had no idea this kind of weapon existed
is it viable to clear the game or is it really just a weapon to goof around ? i have a purely str character
They're not great. I use them on my dickwraith to 'box' with low level players in the Undead Burg :p

Kill Anastasia
1)
Kill him immediately and get his ring, which boosts HP, stamina and equipment load by 20% and some humanity.

2)
Leave him for now, let him kill Anastasia and deal with him later. All in all this nets you the same rewards as killing him early, plus two armour sets you can only get this way - his is mainly for asthetic purposes, but Anastasia's armour is one of the best light armours in the game.

Your call. If you need the little bit of HP early, kill him now - but you can always level up a couple of points to get the same result and leave him till later for the extras and a unique NPC battle.

I killer yhe channeler yesterday....I didn't know who he was. As soon as I walked through the white fog, he was just dancing in front of me with rats surrounding him. My first reaction was kill him and Im like wtf was that about lol. Then I started wondering was I supposed to kill him.
You want to kill the Channeller before facing the boss of that area, so you made the right call.

When I was around level 20, I was summoned to fight the gargoyles, and the other phantom had the 'boxing gloves' and definitely dragon punched them. :D

Can i get queelag to sell me spells without ringing the gargoyle bell? I want apells for my onebro but only beat quelana (i dont want to close coop since i think it cuts u of when u beat the boss)

Are fire and lightning weaaps the only worthwhile weapon evolution types for a onebro?

Im trying to get powerful as i caaan without cutting off bosses, gonnaa try to work up to the depths

RavenH2

The best option is to stop reading walkthroughs. :D

He's right.

I'm doing my 3rd run, this time with a new character. It's been months and even though I kinda remember some things, I have to tell you... the feeling of discovery is amaizing, and you are just ruining it.

Also I had forgotten the dread of being underpowered. My first character was level 121 on my first playthrough... (I loved grinding)

eot

Banned
Can i get queelag to sell me spells without ringing the gargoyle bell? I want apells for my onebro but only beat quelana (i dont want to close coop since i think it cuts u of when u beat the boss)

Are fire and lightning weaaps the only worthwhile weapon evolution types for a onebro?

Im trying to get powerful as i caaan without cutting off bosses, gonnaa try to work up to the depths

Is your 'a' key broken?
Anyway, you can do that in any order, no need to kill the Gargoyles until you want to go to Sen's. As for weapons, yeah it's best to make them elemental except for the light crossbow, make that +14/15 on the normal path.

I think Quelana appears when you have a 10+ pyro flame. You can ring either bell first.

If you want to leave early areas open for co-op/pvp, you can skip Taurus and Gaping Dragon so Undead Burg and Depths are open as long as you want them to be.

Is your 'a' key broken?
Anyway, you can do that in any order, no need to kill the Gargoyles until you want to go to Sen's. As for weapons, yeah it's best to make them elemental except for the light crossbow, make that +14/15 on the normal path.

i won't lose anything if i ring both bells as far as coop goes? i haven't done much coop in previous playthroughs thats why i'm trying to maximize it on this low guy.

i type like that when i'm on my phone. sorry, touchscreen keyboards suck and editing on them is a pain. as long as its legible.

if i go backwards from blighttown i can go to the depths, right? or i guess then if i kill capra if there's no real downside to getting rid of him. i just wasn't sure about what you need to keep around in order to keep getting invaded and to be able to coop in areas.

but since a level 11 darkwraith can invade or coop with the same people as a level 1 could (right?) i might as well pump my pyromancer to level 11. question is, is there any particular stat that unlocks something more useful for a low level run? i was gonna stay level 1 but if the multiplayer pool is the same, i might as well jump 10 levels. but i'm not sure which stat would unlock the most useful things, never restricted myself from leveling up before... any particular strat stats /gear wise that would help me when i get to the 4 kings? i thought str for zweihander but...with minimum HP i don't think a slow weapon like that is a good idea. lv 20 magic won't get me much in the long run, i'm thinking? maybe 2 in faith so i can have heal...but what else would be the most useful for forest hunting and such..

Killing an area's boss only stops invasions in that area, co-op is still open all the time.

The door between Blighttown and the Depths can only be opened from the Depths side, you get the key by killing Gaping Dragon. You can walk all the way back to the door from the Blighttown side, but you can't open it (it's worth doing just for the loot in upper Blighttown - Power Within is especially useful on your SL1 runs).

Unless you have a specific weapon in mind whos stat requirements you can meet at the level you want to be - I think attunement might be the most useful. You will always have low health/stamina at low level so not much point in levelling up VIT/END but maxing out pyromancy and having 3 or 4 spell slots to play with will be helpful. I would stick with the pyro starter hand axe or use a longsword - one of my personal favourites, the moveset is balanced and versatile.

Sullichin

i won't lose anything if i ring both bells as far as coop goes? i haven't done much coop in previous playthroughs thats why i'm trying to maximize it on this low guy.

i type like that when i'm on my phone. sorry, touchscreen keyboards suck and editing on them is a pain. as long as its legible.

if i go backwards from blighttown i can go to the depths, right? or i guess then if i kill capra if there's no real downside to getting rid of him. i just wasn't sure about what you need to keep around in order to keep getting invaded and to be able to coop in areas.

but since a level 11 darkwraith can invade or coop with the same people as a level 1 could (right?) i might as well pump my pyromancer to level 11. question is, is there any particular stat that unlocks something more useful for a low level run? i was gonna stay level 1 but if the multiplayer pool is the same, i might as well jump 10 levels. but i'm not sure which stat would unlock the most useful things, never restricted myself from leveling up before... any particular strat stats /gear wise that would help me when i get to the 4 kings? i thought str for zweihander but...with minimum HP i don't think a slow weapon like that is a good idea. lv 20 magic won't get me much in the long run, i'm thinking? maybe 2 in faith so i can have heal...but what else would be the most useful for forest hunting and such..

You can't enter the depths from blighttown if you haven't cleared the depths already. The door is closed off on that side. If you kill Capra you can't be invaded or summon, but you can invade and be summoned. SL1 runs have a limited weapon choice, so maybe spend the extra 10 to meet the minimum requirements for weapons you want to use, or just sprinkle on some endurance or vit

EDIT: i should refresh the page before posting.

so i figure i might as well gain a few levels since i'll still get to play with the same crowd. i'm thinking 3 dex for quelaag's fury sword (since its fire damage that would work well at level 10ish, wouldn't it? now i have a fire reinforced club +5...its moveset would be much better..). maybe 2 faith for heal. maybe 6 for dark bead, then 2 or 4 into attunement for 3 or 4 spell slots? or are there any other early weapons that would end up doing high damage with such a level restriction? i wanna hold my own in the forest <_<. not that i'd use dark bead there that'd just be for general boss ownage. but it seems like a long road to getting bead, so maybe that's not a good idea.

eot

Banned
This is a silly thing to complain about, but why is it that people who didn't like or play much of Dark Souls keep inaccurately comparing other games to it? Whenever there's a game that has any degree of challenge, death penalty or less than immediate checkpoints it will invariably be compared to DS on some podcast. Boy do I wish there were that many games with even a passing similarity to the Soul's games. I guess it's a positive thing that there's so much awareness about the game, it just bugs me how pigeonholed it is as "that difficult game masochistic people play".

Gazoinks

Speaking of passing similarity to the Souls games, anyone here played the King's Field games? Also by From, Demon's was a spiritual successor to that series, basically. They're first person and more Metroidvania in layout. I really liked what I played of King's Field 4 a while ago, but I actually got distracted by going back to Dark Souls. xD

Soulhouf

This is a silly thing to complain about, but why is it that people who didn't like or play much of Dark Souls keep inaccurately comparing other games to it? Whenever there's a game that has any degree of challenge, death penalty or less than immediate checkpoints it will invariably be compared to DS on some podcast. Boy do I wish there were that many games with even a passing similarity to the Soul's games. I guess it's a positive thing that there's so much awareness about the game, it just bugs me how pigeonholed it is as "that difficult game masochistic people play".

Because nowadays players are not used to that kind of games anymore?

On a side note, I found this in SMTIV:

Bbjd5LvCIAAk6bF.jpg

Soulhouf

Speaking of passing similarity to the Souls games, anyone here played the King's Field games? Also by From, Demon's was a spiritual successor to that series, basically. They're first person and more Metroidvania in layout. I really liked what I played of King's Field 4 a while ago, but I actually got distracted by going back to Dark Souls. xD

Yep, I played King's Field 2(great), King's Field 3&4(decent) and Shadow Tower(awesome).
Shadow Tower is the closest game to the Souls series but it's insanely hard. DaS and DeS are cakewalk compared to it.

krakov

Invading the forest at low SL is highly unadvisable imho. Most of your victims will be over SL 100, some of them much higher. Many will be ganking and healing and you'll find more cheaters than anywhere else.

Invading the forest at low SL is highly unadvisable imho. Most of your victims will be over SL 100, some of them much higher. Many will be ganking and healing and you'll find more cheaters than anywhere else.
Ooh its not level balanced? Eff that then. So if i dont kill taurus i can still darkwraith in burg right? What about parish part?

krakov

As a darkwraith or forest invader you will only invade up. I think you are able to invade those in coop range plus anyone above that level. So basically, think about what level is common in which area and use that to decide

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Really wish Dark Souls 2 was a Winter release, would have been perfect to have around these dark days. Still have a hard time getting into any other games so I'm pretty much still exclusively playing Demons and Dark Souls though I'm kinda out of ideas how to keep enjoying them right now.

Only 3 months now... Stay strong my sunbro.

iQOXI3UiVxM4U.gif

Can't wait to discover what these guys are all about.

Are there any generally accepted levels for the different zones? I'm playing through mostly for co-op since I had never played online before I bought a PS3, so I'm trying to keep my level down. I'm 35 presently, and I think I may want to move on from the Depths, Queelag, Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, but I don't know if I'll still be in the good level range for matchmaking.

eot

Banned
DarkSouls-Co-opguide.jpg

I think the chart is a little low for a lot of areas, but it's ok.
I like to be 30 ish for Depths and 50 ish for Anor Londo.

2AdEPT

Are there any generally accepted levels for the different zones? I'm playing through mostly for co-op since I had never played online before I bought a PS3, so I'm trying to keep my level down. I'm 35 presently, and I think I may want to move on from the Depths, Queelag, Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, but I don't know if I'll still be in the good level range for matchmaking.

There's a link (edit above) you can search for that outlines it exactly...my rule of thumb is 10-20 for taurus and gargoyles, 25-35 for queelag, capra, gaping, 35-50 for everything pre-lordvessel, from there you get all types of guys staying low or overlevelling so you can still find summons at a full range. O&S can still get lower level help, but best at around 45 or so.

What do you think about this list?

Undead Burg ( 5 &#8211; 10 )
Undead Parish ( 10 &#8211; 20 )
Lower Undead Burg ( 20 &#8211; 30 )
The Depths ( 20 &#8211; 30 )
Blighttown ( 30 &#8211; 40 )
Quelaag&#8217;s Domain ( 35+ )
(Second bell of awakening generally rung around lvl 35)

The Catacombs ( 30 &#8211; 50 )
The Great Hollow ( 45-55 )
Ash Lake ( 45-55 )
Darkroot Garden ( 35-50 )
Darkroot Basin ( 35-50 )
Valley of Drakes ( 40 &#8211; 60 )
Undead Asylum Revisited ( 30 &#8211; 40 )

Sen&#8217;s Fortress ( 35-45 )
Anor Londo ( 45-60 )
Painted World of Ariamis ( 60+ )
New Londo Ruins ( 60+ )

The Abyss ( 50 &#8211; 70 )

The Duke&#8217;s Archives ( 50-70 )
Crystal Cave ( 55-75 )
Tomb of the Giants ( 55-75 )
Demon Ruins ( 60-75 )
Lost Izalith ( 65-80 )
Kiln of the First Flame ( 70 &#8211; 100 + )

http://daydull.com/tips-tutorials/dark-souls-recommend-levels-for-areas-and-bosses/

I'm also wondering about the DLC areas.

2AdEPT

What do you think about this list?

Undead Burg ( 5 – 10 )
Undead Parish ( 10 – 20 )
Lower Undead Burg ( 20 – 30 )
The Depths ( 20 – 30 )
Blighttown ( 30 – 40 )
Quelaag’s Domain ( 35+ )
(Second bell of awakening generally rung around lvl 35)

The Catacombs ( 30 – 50 )
The Great Hollow ( 45-55 )
Ash Lake ( 45-55 )
Darkroot Garden ( 35-50 )
Darkroot Basin ( 35-50 )
Valley of Drakes ( 40 – 60 )
Undead Asylum Revisited ( 30 – 40 )

Sen’s Fortress ( 35-45 )
Anor Londo ( 45-60 )
Painted World of Ariamis ( 60+ )
New Londo Ruins ( 60+ )

The Abyss ( 50 – 70 )

The Duke’s Archives ( 50-70 )
Crystal Cave ( 55-75 )
Tomb of the Giants ( 55-75 )
Demon Ruins ( 60-75 )
Lost Izalith ( 65-80 )
Kiln of the First Flame ( 70 – 100 + )

http://daydull.com/tips-tutorials/dark-souls-recommend-levels-for-areas-and-bosses/

I'm also wondering about the DLC areas.

That'll work for co-op...but keep in mind the difficulty curve goes up a bit for DLC...depends on your character as well....sometimes you want to get your INT up high to be able to use the stuff you will find there....lotsof sorcery and the tracer weapons come to mind. You may have to augment your stats a bit and this may compromise your level rules. Generally speaking try to max out gear first, then raise levels as a last resort if you are interested in co-op. I fyou are interested in PVP then you can consider going 100-120.

eot

Banned
Also, at lower levels it's a bit more flexible because it's +/- 10 levels + 10% of your level I think. I have a co-op character in the Depths at SL35 and it's fine because that goes down to SL23.

MilkBeard

It's interesting how I hear different people say to beat either Ornstein or Smough first. I have beaten both ways on different playthroughs. However, I have done both solo so I don't know what those bosses are like in co-op. I suppose I can assume Smough being more annoying in co-op because he has so many wide attacks. However, I can see his Super Saiyan form (heh) as being really easy if you have one person distract him into certain swing patterns while the other guys come up during his down time and attack and then run away.

2AdEPT

It's interesting how I hear different people say to beat either Ornstein or Smough first. I have beaten both ways on different playthroughs. However, I have done both solo so I don't know what those bosses are like in co-op. I suppose I can assume Smough being more annoying in co-op because he has so many wide attacks. However, I can see his Super Saiyan form (heh) as being really easy if you have one person distract him into certain swing patterns while the other guys come up during his down time and attack and then run away.

the order matters less for co-op...chances are your co-op partner can do both easily as part of a co-op team...simply decide which you prefer to have lat for their armour and request this of your co-op friend. Solo? I can't see how a rather non-mobile smough could be anywhere near as dangerous as a ground clearing floater like ornstein...although he travels less as a super and takes on more of a smough based pattern after he sucks his soul.

I recall arguing with Soulhouf and Sullichin about this when we had not beat them yet doing a SL1 no upgrades run. I allowed then to help me out as long as they also observed no upgrades in the process. IIRC they preferred fighting super Ornstein, at least with the reinforced club being the main weapon as they like to use the R2 and wait for another opening to use it. I preferred getting two hits of R1 and the occasional running R1 as I could not time the R2 as well as them. I ended up preferring super smough as I could better predict the attacks, and he was a bigger target if nothing else! ;p

MilkBeard

the order matters less for co-op...chances are your co-op partner can do both easily as part of a co-op team...simply decide which you prefer to have lat for their armour and request this of your co-op friend. Solo? I can't see how a rather non-mobile smough could be anywhere near as dangerous as a ground clearing floater like ornstein...although he travels less as a super and takes on more of a smough based pattern after he sucks his soul.

I recall arguing with Soulhouf and Sullichin about this when we had not beat them yet doing a SL1 no upgrades run. I allowed then to help me out as long as they also observed no upgrades in the process. IIRC they preferred fighting super Ornstein, at least with the reinforced club being the main weapon as they like to use the R2 and wait for another opening to use it. I preferred getting two hits of R1 and the occasional running R1 as I could not time the R2 as well as them. I ended up preferring super smough as I could better predict the attacks, and he was a bigger target if nothing else! ;p

The first time I fought Super Ornstein, and I felt at that time he was easier. In NG + however, I ended up killing Ornstein first just because I was braver and I could smash him in the first few seconds of the fight to take 1/3 his health right off the bat.

As for Super Smough, he's hella intimidating at first, but after analyzing him he has a couple of weaknesses in his pattern that I exploited. Having the Greatsheild of Artorias plus a thunder ring made this battle easier the second time around. So Smough took a while for me to kill mainly because I watched his patterns, but it's pretty easy to get him stuck on a pillar and jump in for an attack or two and then roll out when he has a long attack animation.

As for who is easier, I think it's really a wash. It depends on your playstyle, both have different weaknesses to exploit, and have things you need to watch out for.

Recently played this in a video game bar in Japan, purely for the novelty.

Distractions + beer + PS3 controller with o & x reversed (have also never played it on a PS3) = killed by Asylum Demon :(

Felt bad, man, BUT also felt good, 'cause Dark Souls.

Tawpgun

Gaping Dragon had like 2 ticks of health left and he one shotted me.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Solaire you useless twat.

Soulhouf

Distractions + beer + PS3 controller with o & x reversed (have also never played it on a PS3) = killed by Asylum Demon :(

Since you never played the PS3 version, the fact that o and x are reversed doesn't change anything right? :p

Since you bought it up, I always say this but I will never forgive SCEA for switching the x and o buttons in the West. Such a bullshit...

2AdEPT

another reason NOT to kill lautrec too early...he is a beast in coop. you must free him first, then visit him in Firelink before the summon sign will appear and of course he wont show if you go to blighttown or get the two firekeeper souls first and he kills ana before you get to the boss doors in question.

Since you never played the PS3 version, the fact that o and x are reversed doesn't change anything right? :p

Haha. Well, I was already under the impression that the Western PS3 controls mimic that of the 360's, so o to roll and x to interact/activate. Just picture me repeatedly activating the air in front of my stupid face as the Asylum Demon's hammer comes down.

2AdEPT

I'm on my first time through this game and stuck at Ornstein and Smough and it's so frustrating. I feel like I can't dodge quick enough and I am under 50% load.

...you need to be under 25% load if you want to dodge them well....also make sure you have a fire or standard path weapon for Orn...he is resilient to lightning. Bringing in some pyro helps.

If you want to hire help solaire is very helpful, I can assist as well if you are on PC....emergency is I could even do Ps3 LOL:
AdEPTErik - GFWL
adepterik2 on Steam or PS3

DaciaJC

Gold Member

I summoned both Solaire and Lautrec for the Gaping Dragon in my SL1 run. Both of them were smashed in less than a minute. Had to defeat the boss on my own and was very nearly killed in the same manner as you.

I'm on my first time through this game and stuck at Ornstein and Smough and it's so frustrating. I feel like I can't dodge quick enough and I am under 50% load.

Are you playing online? That is one boss fight that just begs for summons.

You can also place your summon sign and help others to get practice.

MilkBeard

If you have enough souls to buy the Lightning ring from the guy in Sen's fortress, that may give you some breathing room as well. Both have lightning attacks, especially in Super form.

As for rolling, I'm more of a shield block kind of person, so depending on your strategy, light load for rolls, or a 100 percent block shield with high lightning defense and/or lightning ring. Each boss has a pattern to recognize, it just takes some time to analyze them and feel safe enough to do it right.

EDIT: A good opportunity to get a jump start on the battle is right in the beginning when Ornstein runs straight at you. Just learn to dodge his first move, then slam him with a strong attack and this can happen all before Smough can even make it over.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Where is this magical place you speak of?

Toxi

Banned

Don't summon for the battle. They die quickly and don't deal much damage, and the boss has more health when you have summons.

There are a few bosses where AI summons don't make the boss easier: The Gaping Dragon and
Four Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom