• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnK

So, I am playing Dark Souls beginning just for fun, while actually playing Demon's Souls. I killed the first black knight, got his sword, grinded at the beginning to reach the required level, and hooooooo shit. The thing is REALLY good, kills everything with one hit. The minotaur boss died with 4 hits from that sword, and I am plowing through everything with ease. What I want to know is, is the Dragon Bone Smasher the same as this sword, in terms of animation and hits? If it is, it is quite slow.

Also, for a game called dark souls, the first area sure is bright, sunny, and at some spots has beautiful scenery. I actually like the atmosphere of Demon's Souls more.

Sullichin

So, I am playing Dark Souls beginning just for fun, while actually playing Demon's Souls. I killed the first black knight, got his sword, grinded at the beginning to reach the required level, and hooooooo shit. The thing is REALLY good, kills everything with one hit. The minotaur boss died with 4 hits from that sword, and I am plowing through everything with ease. What I want to know is, is the Dragon Bone Smasher the same as this sword, in terms of animation and hits? If it is, it is quite slow.

Also, for a game called dark souls, the first area sure is bright, sunny, and at some spots has beautiful scenery. I actually like the atmosphere of Demon's Souls more.

Dragon Bone Smasher is only in Demon's Souls. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. It's a greatsword, so it's about as fast as the other greatswords in the game. The ultra greatswords are slower but hit harder.
EDIT: By this I mean the Dragon Bone Smasher in Demon's Souls is slower than the Black Knight Sword in Dark Souls.
Black Knight Sword is really good, it's a random drop so you got lucky getting it early. It can easily take you through the game and it's easy to upgrade.

TnK

Dragon Bone Smasher is only in Demon's Souls. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. It's a greatsword, so it's about as fast as the other greatswords in the game. The ultra greatswords are slower but hit harder.
EDIT: By this I mean the Dragon Bone Smasher in Demon's Souls is slower than the Black Knight Sword in Dark Souls.
Black Knight Sword is really good, it's a random drop so you got lucky getting it early. It can easily take you through the game and it's easy to upgrade.
I am building my DeS character to use him with DBS, I sure hope I don't regret it if the sword is slow, lol. Also, a random drop?? Crap, this is my joke character on a profile that I can't go online with. Is there any way to keep fighting against the Black Knights and get it on a later run? I am planning to drop this character and start another build.

Go down the elevator and visit New Londo Ruins.
Will do, but after finishing Demon's Souls. Great to know that it also has dark atmospheres as well.

GRIP

I am building my DeS character to use him with DBS, I sure hope I don't regret it if the sword is slow, lol. Also, a random drop?? Crap, this is my joke character on a profile that I can't go online with. Is there any way to keep fighting against the Black Knights and get it on a later run? I am planning to drop this character and start another build.

Will do, but after finishing Demon's Souls. Great to know that it also has dark atmospheres as well.

That Black Knight doesn't respawn. So no, you either get lucky and get the drop or you have to wait until later in the game.

Toxi

Banned
Demon's souls is about how the night is darkest before the dawn.

Dark Souls is about how the day is brightest before the dusk.

TnK

Demon's souls is about how the night is darkest before the dawn.

Dark Souls is about how the day is brightest before the dusk.

Does this mean the DeS has a happy ending while DaS has a bad one? Or does this mean that the time of day changes as you progress more?

Also, my gold membership has ended, hence, I will keep playing with the character I made. Seems like he is not a joke character anymore, lol. The sword is too good to let it go. Even if his face does look like ass, and I did not choose the key special feature. I chose none for this character.

So, I am playing Dark Souls beginning just for fun, while actually playing Demon's Souls. I killed the first black knight.

I'm basically following you here from the DeS thread! That Black Knight has been chewing me up all morning. I keep going for parries, but I don't have his tells figured out yet. Every time I think I've caught him, he instead does the Vladimir Guerrero moonshot which makes me look damn foolish. Only times I've been able to land a parry are when below him on the stairs where you can't take advantage of them =(

I started up a cleric. I can't help it; I always make priests/clerics when I can. Is there a faith-based weapon later in the game that is worth building toward or will I need to choose one based on strength or dex instead?

I'm basically following you here from the DeS thread! That Black Knight has been chewing me up all morning. I keep going for parries, but I don't have his tells figured out yet. Every time I think I've caught him, he instead does the Vladimir Guerrero moonshot which makes me look damn foolish. Only times I've been able to land a parry are when below him on the stairs where you can't take advantage of them =(

I started up a cleric. I can't help it; I always make priests/clerics when I can. Is there a faith-based weapon later in the game that is worth building toward or will I need to choose one based on strength or dex instead?
If you're having a tough time with the Black Knight, you can come back later when your weapon is upgraded, which won't be too long.

There are specific faith weapons (that scale with your faith stat) and you can make any weapon a faith weapon very early on, you just need to reach the blacksmith and kill an easy boss.

Toxi

Banned
Does this mean the DeS has a happy ending while DaS has a bad one? Or does this mean that the time of day changes as you progress more?
It depends on whether you pick the good ending in Demon's Souls, because your decisions matter. The world of Demon's Souls isn't inherently bad; rather, people made poor, self-centered choices that ruined the world. The most prominent example of this is King Allant awakening the Old One, but every one of the five areas in Demon's Souls was ruined by people embracing greed, power, and fear instead of virtue. Just as evil destroyed the world, however, good actions to help others can save it.

Dark Souls is different. It might seem bright and beautiful, but it's a sham. Everything decays, from the lowliest rat to the mightiest dragon. You might see some things that look beautiful or kind, but be warned: They are either false or fleeting. Think about the Black Knights of Gwyn; they look imposing and regal, but they are just armor, their flesh and bones burnt to ash.

Where is this magical place you speak of?

A very small bar in Osaka called Space Station, mayne. It's run by a single friendly American man and has quite the selection of consoles. Gutted that the DS Cafe is opening now that I'm home; and right outside where we were staying! Guess I'll just have to make my own Estus brew in the bathtub.

Goddamn. Why do I come into this thread? Urge to play rising...

TnK

What you do against the first black knight is this: Buy the key from the merchant in undead burg (can be found where the two spear undead are, and you break the crates to find the stairs. This is near the second fire), and inside one of the door locked rooms before you reach the knight is a box that has a magic powder. Enhance your weapon with the magic powder, and you should be doing a ton of damage vs the black knight. Black knights are weak against magic.

DeS has a happy ending? Awesome!

@toxi: C'mon man, don't spoil Demon's Souls for me =( Even though I did figure out at the beginning that the keepers of each area went bad.

Dibbz

Guys I'm in the Blight Town Swamps fighting Quelaag. Is there a way to stop from getting poisoned every time I go to fight her? I only have a handful of purple cure things left :|

Toxi

Banned
Guys I'm in the Blight Town Swamps fighting Quelaag. Is there a way to stop from getting poisoned every time I go to fight her? I only have a handful of purple cure things left :|
You can either equip the Rusted Iron Ring (Lets you run through the bog unhindered) or you can just wait out the poison next to the fog gate. If you need help, try going human; there are usually some summon symbols next to Quelaag's fog gate.
What you do against the first black knight is this: Buy the key from the merchant in undead burg (can be found where the two spear undead are, and you break the crates to find the stairs. This is near the second fire), and inside one of the door locked rooms before you reach the knight is a box that has a magic powder. Enhance your weapon with the magic powder, and you should be doing a ton of damage vs the black knight. Black knights are weak against magic.
That's Gold Pine Resin, which adds lightning damage. There's a distinction, strangely enough; there are spells that add lightning damage and magic damage, and items that add fire damage and lightning damage. Black Knights are resistant to fire, but lightning hurts them a lot. Generally, lightning>fire, with a few obvious exceptions.

@toxi: C'mon man, don't spoil Demon's Souls for me =( Even though I did figure out at the beginning that the keepers of each area went bad.
I didn't really spoil much. The Monumental tells you about Allant, and the other material is based of the descriptions of the levels' archstones.

Trust me, there is a lot that I haven't spoiled, especially pertaining to World 1 and 5.

GRIP

There is definitely a way to get to the boss without getting poisoned, but I think you need the Rusted Iron Ring for that particular way to work (fast rolling might work as well). Look for the patches of solid ground (a few of these spots have cragspiders on them) and pretty much follow those. shouldn't be too hard to find the right path.

Farm some purple moss from the trees in Darkroot Garden if you're running low. Although if you kill her, you don't need them do you :p

I always farm some in Darkroot before I go down since I do a lot of co-op for Quelaag, farming souls for the pyro upgrades usually. You know the three trees that pop up and ambush you, if you never pick up the item in the middle of them, they are always dormant (until you hit them), this is the quickest way to farm mosses imo since the runback to the bonfire is very quick. (Advice is completely useless if you already took the item in the middle of them :p )

MilkBeard

There is definitely a way to get to the boss without getting poisoned, but I think you need the Rusted Iron Ring for that particular way to work (fast rolling might work as well). Look for the patches of solid ground (a few of these spots have cragspiders on them) and pretty much follow those. shouldn't be too hard to find the right path.

Also poisonbite ring helps. This should give you enough time to get from place to place without getting poisoned. The guy at the gargoyle bell sells them I believe.

Toxi

Banned
You can also just fight Quelaag with poison damage if you're impatient. As long as you keep using Estus Flasks to stay above a certain point, you won't have to worry about it killing you. Poison damage from the bog is very slow and deals only a few (About 2) Estus Flasks of damage total.

MG310

Summoning Mildred also helps...even though when Quelaag does the large fireball Mildred will most likely just keep running into it over and over until it disappears. She's good for drawing Quelaag's sword swipes too...only big concern is getting away when she keels over before the big explosive attack.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

It means shut up and play... ;)

There's no time of day change, but DaS certainly has its fair share of dark/depressing environments. Have you not been to the lovely holiday resort they call Blighttown yet?

Also, I'd like to argue that just having a bunch of dark and sinister places doesn't make a game "dark". Ooohhh babies in a blood bog, Demon's Souls you're so dark!

No. Something terrible has happened in the DeS world, but you realise how awful the Dark Souls world truly is when you exhaust the NPC dialogue and play through their "side quests". Reading the weapon/armour/item descriptions also gives amazing insight into the world and what it once was.

Some people might not enjoy reading through stuff or talking to NPCs to get the lore, but if you want darkness, that's the way forward. It's the whole balance of it. Not just having scary enemies or dark spaces, but building up to those things and using colour/light/sound/music effectively to convey the meaning behind what you're going through.

Some people say it's a case of which game you played first that determines which one you prefer, or which atmosphere sinks in better. As someone who played the series since importing the JP version of DeS and is still playing DaS to this day, I disagree.

A very small bar in Osaka called Space Station, mayne. It's run by a single friendly American man and has quite the selection of consoles. Gutted that the DS Cafe is opening now that I'm home; and right outside where we were staying! Guess I'll just have to make my own Estus brew in the bathtub.

Goddamn. Why do I come into this thread? Urge to play rising...

Haha, I like your posts mayng. If you have PSN, be sure to add a bro.
Nuts, Osaka though... I will keep it in mind if I ever venture forth. Will be sure to go to the cafe in Roppongi and post pictures to fuel your jealousy!

TnK

It means shut up and play... ;)

There's no time of day change, but DaS certainly has its fair share of dark/depressing environments. Have you not been to the lovely holiday resort they call Blighttown yet?

Also, I'd like to argue that just having a bunch of dark and sinister places doesn't make a game "dark". Ooohhh babies in a blood bog, Demon's Souls you're so dark!

No. Something terrible has happened in the DeS world, but you realise how awful the Dark Souls world truly is when you exhaust the NPC dialogue and play through their "side quests". Reading the weapon/armour/item descriptions also gives amazing insight into the world and what it once was.

Some people might not enjoy reading through stuff or talking to NPCs to get the lore, but if you want darkness, that's the way forward. It's the whole balance of it. Not just having scary enemies or dark spaces, but building up to those things and using colour/light/sound/music effectively to convey the meaning behind what you're going through.

Some people say it's a case of which game you played first that determines which one you prefer, or which atmosphere sinks in better. As someone who played the series since importing the JP version of DeS and is still playing DaS to this day, I disagree.
I know that I should dig in Dark Souls for the story. The intro showed a lot of promise. The start doesn't really tell or show anything, so I feared that this may go on. As long as the scenario of how things happened is done in a good way. Also, I do know that having a bunch of bloody babies does not really mean the game is dark, but the way it is presented is important. Please don't make assumptions on knowing how I think.

I will start DaS once I am done with DeS.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't assuming, TnK. I was just being facetious with my babies comment.

Hope you enjoy DaS once you get around to it. Maybe I should go back and play DeS again thoroughly now that I'm schooled in the art of reading between the lines with DaS ;)

TnK

Well to be fair, I actually have not reached the bloody baby part yet. Also, if you want an excellent dark fantasy read, and knowing where DeS and DaS took a lot of inspiration from, read Berserk.

I prefer DeS at the mean time because of how similar it is to Berserk. I sometimes call DeS Berserk: The Unofficial Game, lol.

2AdEPT

Since you are on DeS I assume you are not on PC for DaS...therefore you can't save to ensure you get the black knight drops....if you think the sword is great ...just think how awesome you will feel if you get a halberd or Great axe, or Great sword! just because the sword can take you through the game, does not mean it is the only or best weapon that can do this...there are close to a hundred weapons in the game...look around for others.

Most weapons can be wielded by any character and certain ones can be molded to fit faith damage...but the best route for faith in my opinion is to make a straight damage weapon+15 and buff it with miracle buffs darkmoon or sunlight. Unfortunately split damage weapons based on divine or occult are less powerful unless you soak everything into faith...which isnt fun...some str or dex is likely going to be fun as well.

The easiest way is to find the equipment you have that has the highest poison resistance, use the ring like above, and simple avoid the water...go from land to land point quickly. the developers give a high poison resist set in blightown near the bonfire. Unfortunatleuy the best poison resist set is found immediatley after quellag, but it does enable you to help others on queelag without needing purple clumps.

TnK

2AdEPT: I am actually playing DaS on PC. Any tricks? Also there are better weapons? Sweet. Time to drop the joke character then. To replace the great sword, I will use the drake sword. Who knew trying to kill the dragon in a cheap way with arrows gave you a sword, lol.

Which sword is the most similar to the DBS in DaS? The more swords I have that looks like this, the better.
DragonslayerWield.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair, I actually have not reached the bloody baby part yet. Also, if you want an excellent dark fantasy read, and knowing where DeS and DaS took a lot of inspiration from, read Berserk.

I prefer DeS at the mean time because of how similar it is to Berserk. I sometimes call DeS Berserk: The Unofficial Game, lol.

My bad. I won't spoil anything else for you.

I'm on volume 7 of the Berserk, btw. It is indeed a great read. There are many references to that manga throughout both games, and probably more to come ;)

To the above: there is a sword in DaS simply called "Great Sword". It's what I use for my Guts cosplay character.

Gazoinks

2AdEPT: I am actually playing DaS on PC. Any tricks? Also there are better weapons? Sweet. Time to drop the joke character then. To replace the great sword, I will use the drake sword. Who knew trying to kill the dragon in a cheap way with arrows gave you a sword, lol.

Which sword is the most similar to the DBS in DaS? The more swords I have that looks like this, the better.
DragonslayerWield.jpg

Well, if you're on PC...

Toxi

Banned

DragonslayerWield.jpg
The closest thing to the Dragonbone Smasher's moveset is the default greatsword moveset. However, those are puny things. If you want size, try ULTRA GREATSWORDS.

You might have noticed a good friend wielding this Great Machete. Don't worry if you miss it, you can buy them later on.
demon-great-machete-onhand.jpg

The confusingly named Greatsword is also quite weighty.
greatsword-onhand.jpg

The swords look a lot shorter thanks to the angle. Here's the actual length.
Greatsword.jpg

2AdEPT

DragonslayerWield.jpg
Drake? meh? it is ok for early early game....but not really a good option for many reasons...start upgrading others, find other secret weapons.

list of swords/axes that smash:
Zweihander
Dragon King greatsword - magic r2
Dragon King Great axe - magic r2
Demon great machete
Grant (not really recommended unless doing faith though) - magic r2
Black knight greatsword (which you displayed pictorially)
Black Knight great axe (by far my favourite looking of the of the bunch..swings fast for a greatsword but does not hold back on damage)
Black knight halberd
Obsidian greatsword - magic r2
Moonlight greatsword (for mages only) magic r2 both one and two handed
Great axe
Large Club ( the great version is less for some reason the large club being a rare drop and has poison bonus makes it the better option as well better scale with str IIRC)
Demon hammer
smoughs hammer

and sorry for including at least one quality/dex hybrid...there simply is no better sword in the game than the washing pole irrespective of build (all builds can use it.) not a true smasher but do yourself a favor and pick up the only "real" sword in the game with a real history from Japan. its a rare find which is almost impossible to stumble across without using wiki but still....best sword by far...see laundry drying pole citation below and also the swallow cut as the developers (i would say) tried to re-create this motion for all katanas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

as far as tricks if you are on PC then you can use gamesave manager or save games option in dsfix to ensure the rare drops of the black knights....use 10 humanity in ticker early game, and later in the game add the gold serpent ring. save each time you get to a new knight....reload if you miss the drop.

if your on PC summon me for co-op fun! I dont mash enemies unless you ask for it and basically follow you around unless otherwise instructed...I just like to experience the souls fresh through your eyes!!! ;)

AdEPTErik on GFWL
adepterik2 on Steam and ps3
proudly using DSCFIX

TnK

Sure man, I'll add you on ps3 and steam. I was also planning on using the drake sword for early game only. Thanks for the help btw, in both this and the DeS thread.

Sasaki Kojiro's sword is in the game? Awesome. I will try getting that sword as well then.

When will DaS remove GFWL? I don't have the gold sub, and I really don't want to buy it any time soon, lol.

2AdEPT

Sure man, I'll add you on ps3 and steam. I was also planning on using the drake sword for early game only. Thanks for the help btw, in both this and the DeS thread.

When will DaS remove GFWL? I don't have the gold sub, and I really don't want to buy it any time soon, lol.

not sure about GFWL...it sucks and I use steam for messaging...but because DSCFX works off it, it is a nec. evil for now.

So I went back and one shotted Sif, Moonlight Butterfly, Havel, and the Hydra but still can't beat Ornstein and Smough. I almost got to phase two though. Maybe I should clear New Londo ruins and the catacombs first.

So I went back and one shotted Sif, Moonlight Butterfly, Havel, and the Hydra but still can't beat Ornstein and Smough. I almost got to phase two though. Maybe I should clear New Londo ruins and the catacombs first.
Catacombs is easy and worth doing as early as possible for the boss reward.

New Londo is worth doing for the loot if you haven't got it already, although I'd do a specific boss run by itself, I wouldn't clear out the level then do the boss in one go (because you'll probably want to reserve your Estus/spells for the boss). And unless you kill an NPC, you can't even get to the boss before beating O&S.

Thing is though, once you've done O&S there's a lot less backtracking, so you might want to plough through and beat them first before going back.

Toxi

Banned
Do the Catacombs. It's a bit annoying at first with all the spooky scary skeletons, but there's a lot of neat loot. Don't do the area after the boss, it's fucking painful.

Unless you're okay with killing one of the coolest, nicest NPCs in the game, don't go to New Londo Ruins before beating Ornstein and Smough. :(

Also,
if you haven't already, you might want to check out the bird nest at Firelink Shrine...

I took out the Gaping Dragon today (within seconds of Jeff Green--very proud of us both) and briefly entered Blighttown before some fat guy shoved me off a bridge. I noticed watching Jeff's stream that I am doing absolute shit for damage. My trusty Mace+2 could use a little work. Is there a blacksmith anywhere in my immediate future or should I make the trek back to the parish? And will it suffice to level it up a little bit still or are there other weapons I should look into picking up at this point? I'm level 30 or so with 21 Str and garbage Dex.

I took out the Gaping Dragon today (within seconds of Jeff Green--very proud of us both) and briefly entered Blighttown before some fat guy shoved me off a bridge. I noticed watching Jeff's stream that I am doing absolute shit for damage. My trusty Mace+2 could use a little work. Is there a blacksmith anywhere in my immediate future or should I make the trek back to the parish? And will it suffice to level it up a little bit still or are there other weapons I should look into picking up at this point? I'm level 30 or so with 21 Str and garbage Dex.
The parish blacksmith should serve your needs. Especially if you found the Large Ember, you should take it to him and take your favored weapon to +10. You'll need Titanite Shards up to +5 (sold by the blacksmith) and Large Titanite Shards (they are dropped by slimes in the Depths).

If you like your Mace's move set, no reason to change it, just upgrade it. You could also try the Claymore, like Jeff is using, it has a great move set, or even the Halberd.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't recommend farming off the slimes in the Depths; they have an awful drop rate and take forever to kill without Pyromancy. The leeches at the bottom of Blighttown are a much better source.

Upgrading the Mace to +6 (+5 using Titanite Shards, then ascend it to +6 with the Large Ember) should be enough. Andre sells Titanite Shards, so you can buy them. Farming Large Titanite Shards is tedious, but if you have scoured the Depths, you'll probably have found the one that isn't a random drop. Go to Andre, upgrade to +6, then buy a Weaponbox, which will allow you to upgrade (But not ascend) weapons. Go into Blighttown with your Weaponbox and you'll probably find one or two Large Titanite Shards to upgrade with. A +5 weapon is enough for Blighttown, and the area you should be going to after Blighttown is lousy with Large Titanite Shards.

Thanks for the tips. I'm kinda dreading heading back to the Parish. The shortcut unlock system is very cool in a Metroid sorta way, but I have a hard time keeping it all straight. The open world is cool, but I want the Nexus back =(

2AdEPT

I added you on GFWL, Jinserver is my tag. :)

cool....I always find its less likely for me to hook up with vets though...maybe we will have to have a duel or two!! ;)

Thanks for the tips. I'm kinda dreading heading back to the Parish. The shortcut unlock system is very cool in a Metroid sorta way, but I have a hard time keeping it all straight. The open world is cool, but I want the Nexus back =(

i ti s particularly for situations like Blighttown which are off the beaten path that you best invest in the armour and weapons smithboxes as soon as posssible, and also the repair box so that you can upgrade and repair everything at the bonfire. The only thing you need the smiths for then is modifying the equipment so that you can upgrade it with the new materials. Embers are required for modification but once you modify with the blacksmith you can continue to upgrade the weapon, or armour, at bonfires. Indispensable. I also carry at least a couple repair poweders ...smeitmes even a bonfire is elusive and if you only upgrade a main weapon and it breaks you can be fucked.

What happens to a black phantom that kills the host but is killed by a host's phantom summon before he leaves the host's world? Does he still get his reward?

Toxi

Banned
What happens to a black phantom that kills the host but is killed by a host's phantom summon before he leaves the host's world? Does he still get his reward?
IIRC yes, but you get the punishment for dying and have to retrieve you bloodstain. You get the souls as soon as the host dies, but then you die and have to grab your souls like any time you die as a Black Phantom.

I haven't invaded in a looooong time. I think I'll start again.

Musolf815

So my brother recently has gotten back into gaming and wants to play more stuff, and I got him Dark Souls for Christmas. Over the last few years he's mainly played Skyrim, RDR, GTA V, and Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma all those remakes. Did I make a good call for him? If he hates it I could play it too (I've been really curious after hearing all of your impressions about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom