• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
So my brother recently has gotten back into gaming and wants to play more stuff, and I got him Dark Souls for Christmas. Over the last few years he's mainly played Skyrim, RDR, GTA V, and Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma all those remakes. Did I make a good call for him? If he hates it I could play it too (I've been really curious after hearing all of your impressions about it).
It's a fun game, but it's a game you have to play with a certain mindset. Don't get frustrated when you die; instead, try to figure out how to not die in that way next time.

MilkBeard

It's a fun game, but it's a game you have to play with a certain mindset. Don't get frustrated when you die; instead, try to figure out how to not die in that way next time.

Ditto. Basically, acknowledge your frustration, but push through. There is a pattern to everything.

Seanspeed

Banned
I cant figure out the timing for Artorias' jump attacks. Sometimes they hit me, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I can dodge a bit earlier, sometimes I cant. Sometimes I can dodge later, sometimes I cant.

I've got him if I can only avoid getting hit by these.

Soulhouf

I cant figure out the timing for Artorias' jump attacks. Sometimes they hit me, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I can dodge a bit earlier, sometimes I cant. Sometimes I can dodge later, sometimes I cant.

Just move forward. You don't even have to roll.

Divius

Artorias adjusts his jump mid-air, try walking backwards and dodge at the last possible moment.

edit: ^ hmm

editedit: v hmm

I might have been doing it wrong.

Toxi

Banned

For the spin jump, roll to the side right before it hits. Be ready for up to three jumps in a row. For the long jumps, move forward and roll forward.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to train for Artorias, is to troll him;
.is to just go into the fight (knowing you will die)
.survive for 10-15 minutes
.bring down his HP to <50%
.survive for a few more minutes
..In the process learn to dodge only after his leap/jump attack changes in mid air (bait this)

(Practice makes it perfect)

sixghost

Best way to train for Artorias, is to troll him;
.is to just go into the fight (knowing you will die)
.survive for 10-15 minutes
.bring down his HP to <50%
.survive for a few more minutes
..In the process learn to dodge only after his leap/jump attack changes in mid air (bait this)

(Practice makes it perfect)

That would certainly make you more proficient at dodging his attacks, but a huge part of his difficulty is not only dodging the attack but finding an opening to do damage. You could dodge his stuff all day but still get crushed when you actually try to hurt him, especially if you're using a slower weapon.

Arjen

That would certainly make you more proficient at dodging his attacks, but a huge part of his difficulty is not only dodging the attack but finding an opening to do damage. You could dodge his stuff all day but still get crushed when you actually try to hurt him, especially if you're using a slower weapon.

His forward thrust is a good opening for damage, and the safest is while he's powering up for his buff.

MilkBeard

Whew, beat him second try. He definitely hits hard, and quick. His jump attack is probably one of the strongest I've seen. I blocked him though, with the Great Sheild of Artorias (used his own shield against him...the irony) and struck during his lulls.

I went safe and predictable and just blocked him instead of being risky and rolling this time. Maybe next play through I'll play around with rolling and see how good I can get about dodging his attacks.

Feindflug

Died to a black phantom for the first time in a while. I didn't have my 'pvp' gear on and the turkey spammed Wrath of the Gods.

I started a new Sorcerer a few days ago mainly for Jolly Co-operation and when I entered Depths yesterday a guy invaded me and killed me with a two handed Dragon Greatsword attack when I dodged and he normally couldn't have hit me....lag was like really bad. Oh well, I'm happy that DS2 will go back to dedis and region locked multiplayer.

Also I helped a lot of people outside Capra (more than 20 Jolly Co-ops) and now I'm in Depths and already did 6-7 co-op sessions, I'm 42lvl now so it may become difficult to be summoned there so if there will be no action today I'll kill Gaping Dragon and proceed to Blighttown.

It feels so good in this game to help other players, DS is the best co-op experience last gen by far IMO.

Soulhouf

I started a new Sorcerer a few days ago mainly for Jolly Co-operation and when I entered Depths yesterday a guy invaded me and killed me with a two handed Dragon Greatsword attack when I dodged and he normally couldn't have hit me....lag was like really bad. Oh well, I'm happy that DS2 will go back to dedis and region locked multiplayer.

What? That would be a huge step back if true.

Gazoinks

Good to know. I'm about to go face Artorias for the first time actually.

Artorias beat the crap out of me the first several times I tried to fight him. I only barely beat him by summoning two phantoms. I really like the DLC's boss battles. I've always preferred bosses in these games who're mobile and aggressive as opposed to big stompy types. I never did fight Manus though, my old computer died before I finished the DLC. :x

Soulhouf

I assume that this will be the case just like it was on Demon's which uses dedis, sorry if that sounded like a confirmation since we haven't had one so it's more like wishful thinking from me.

If it's dedicated servers, surely they will vary by region.

Demon's Souls had different servers for each region because the publishers weren't the same I believe: SCEJ for Japan/Asia, Atlus for USA and Bamco for Europe.

sikkinixx

So... I ended up buying a PS3 copy since it was at Target for only $6 and now I c an play whether I'm on my PC in the office or downstairs on the PS3 while the wife plays Animal Crossing.

My PS3 build has been going really well, focusing hard on Faith. I started off as a Cleric and heal has led to me having about 18 Estus Flask charges (for some reason I keep getting more randomly?) Dashing past the Red Dragon on the bridge and joining the Sunlight Warrior group got my Lightning Spear, which fucking devastates everything at this stage of the game for me. Moonlight Butterfly in 5 hits, Capra Demon in 3 (plus a few sword hits), Black Knights in 2, backstabbing then Lightning on Havel (that took a while even still...) I just beat the Capra Demon and am going into the Depths I guess? I'm waiting to get a Green Shard so I can upgrade my +5 Claymore to Divine with the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. Should I use the few Twinkling shards to upgrade the Astoria's Straight Sword? It's been really awesome for me so far, but on a lot of enemies it's starting to be weaker.

My PC character though... is what I'm kinda stumped with. It was more when I was learning the game so I kinda put a bunch of stuff into everything, so the character is a Pryomancer with 18 in Strength, Endurance, Dexterity and Vitality (plus whatever it came with by default). I just beat the Moonlight Butterfly (much harder with just arrows...) and I'm running around with the Drake Sword and a +5 Halberd/+5 Uni-something Katana. Do I just stack up on Dex stats and leave the weapons normal or go a fire/lightning upgrade path, wherever I can do that (Blacksmith in the Parish only seems to offer Divine). It's really hard to go back to this build not having Miracles since I use them a lot to conserve Estus Flasks for bosses/emergencies. I feel like since I'm only 6 hours in there I should just start over with a clearer purpose from the start.

Sullichin

So... I ended up buying a PS3 copy since it was at Target for only $6 and now I c an play whether I'm on my PC in the office or downstairs on the PS3 while the wife plays Animal Crossing.

My PS3 build has been going really well, focusing hard on Faith. I started off as a Cleric and heal has led to me having about 18 Estus Flask charges (for some reason I keep getting more randomly?) Dashing past the Red Dragon on the bridge and joining the Sunlight Warrior group got my Lightning Spear, which fucking devastates everything at this stage of the game for me. Moonlight Butterfly in 5 hits, Capra Demon in 3 (plus a few sword hits), Black Knights in 2, backstabbing then Lightning on Havel (that took a while even still...) I just beat the Capra Demon and am going into the Depths I guess? I'm waiting to get a Green Shard so I can upgrade my +5 Claymore to Divine with the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. Should I use the few Twinkling shards to upgrade the Astoria's Straight Sword? It's been really awesome for me so far, but on a lot of enemies it's starting to be weaker.

My PC character though... is what I'm kinda stumped with. It was more when I was learning the game so I kinda put a bunch of stuff into everything, so the character is a Pryomancer with 18 in Strength, Endurance, Dexterity and Vitality (plus whatever it came with by default). I just beat the Moonlight Butterfly (much harder with just arrows...) and I'm running around with the Drake Sword and a +5 Halberd/+5 Uni-something Katana. Do I just stack up on Dex stats and leave the weapons normal or go a fire/lightning upgrade path, wherever I can do that (Blacksmith in the Parish only seems to offer Divine). It's really hard to go back to this build not having Miracles since I use them a lot to conserve Estus Flasks for bosses/emergencies. I feel like since I'm only 6 hours in there I should just start over with a clearer purpose from the start.

Astora's straight sword wears out its usefulness very early. It's not worth upgrading. If you're focusing hard on faith divine claymore is a good choice, or you can also make it +15 and buff it with either Darkmoon Blade or Sunlight blade later in the game.
You get an extra flask when someone kindles a bonfire near you in *their* game. Just one of the cool passive multiplayer features.

On that second character... you need the large ember (found in the depths) to bring a weapon from +5->6 and the very large ember (new londo ruins) to go from +10->11. Blacksmith parish still upgrades them, you just need the embers. The halberd/uchi will outclass the drake sword very soon if doesn't already. Usually a good idea to focus on upgrading one or two weapons you like. Making elemental weapons is useful if you're staying low level / only have the minimum stats for a weapon, otherwise +15 is the way to go.

mrbagdt

my brother visited me this weekend and i started up a new character to sorta show him the ropes and let him see whats its about so maybe he would buy it. then i took the controller and played for awhile. in about 2 hours i got as far as it took me to get in probably 10 hours on my first playthrough.

i sorta want to play this second character more now and get things 'right' from a points standpoint. maybe i am wrong, but unless you are going to completely focus on intelligence or faith, is there really much to gain from putting points in those? my charcter is level 67 now so im having a little harder time getting summoned to help people with bosses.

sikkinixx

Astora's straight sword wears out its usefulness very early. It's not worth upgrading. If you're focusing hard on faith divine claymore is a good choice, or you can also make it +15 and buff it with either Darkmoon Blade or Sunlight blade later in the game.
You get an extra flask when someone kindles a bonfire near you in *their* game. Just one of the cool passive multiplayer features.

On that second character... you need the large ember (found in the depths) to bring a weapon from +5->6 and the very large ember (new londo ruins) to go from +10->11. Blacksmith parish still upgrades them, you just need the embers. The halberd/uchi will outclass the drake sword very soon if doesn't already. Usually a good idea to focus on upgrading one or two weapons you like. Making elemental weapons is useful if you're staying low level / only have the minimum stats for a weapon, otherwise +15 is the way to go.

Cool thanks, I appreciate the advice. The freedom they give you with building characters/upgrading weapons is nice, but always feels like they are giving you just enough to hang yourself with (or have to spend a hell of a long time grinding out more souls to make up for experiments)

My PS3 build has been going really well, focusing hard on Faith. I started off as a Cleric and heal has led to me having about 18 Estus Flask charges (for some reason I keep getting more randomly?)

When you're online and another player in the same area kindles a bonfire, it gives you more Estus.

Exr

my brother visited me this weekend and i started up a new character to sorta show him the ropes and let him see whats its about so maybe he would buy it. then i took the controller and played for awhile. in about 2 hours i got as far as it took me to get in probably 10 hours on my first playthrough.

i sorta want to play this second character more now and get things 'right' from a points standpoint. maybe i am wrong, but unless you are going to completely focus on intelligence or faith, is there really much to gain from putting points in those? my charcter is level 67 now so im having a little harder time getting summoned to help people with bosses.

Unless you're using a build that capitalizes on faith and intelligence I wouldn't bother. A character with stats spread around isn't as strong as one that specializes.

Soulhouf

Even without different publishers it just makes sense to have different servers for each region.

Splitting the user base is a terrible idea.
Demon's Souls was a headache for me because not only I bought all the existing versions of the game because of that but also I had to switch the version every time I wanted to play with a different region.

Splitting the user base is a terrible idea.
Demon's Souls was a headache for me because not only I bought all the existing versions of the game because of that but also I had to switch the version every time I wanted to play with a different region.
If splitting the user base means playing with other players with low ping, I'm all for it.

Why were you switching for different regions? Did the other regions have the same performance as your home region?

Wasn't one of the beta stress tests with all regions go at the same time? Did people play with users from Japan or a region not their own during the beta test?

I wouldn't like to see separate region servers either, no sir.

I'm only for separate servers as a practical network issue.

When I join server based multi-player games on PC, the number one criteria is ping, which is largely geography based.

If FROM has magic network code and hardware to put the global player base on the same server without issues, go for it. I'm very skeptical, though.

Soulhouf

If splitting the user base means playing with other players with low ping, I'm all for it.

Why were you switching for different regions? Did the other regions have the same performance as your home region?

1/ I live in Europe but I have friends all over the world
2/ Lately there has been some events in Demon's Souls and I had to start a new character for US and EU to participate in the 2 regions.
3/ In Demon's Souls, the best server was the Japanese one.

1/ I live in Europe but I have friends all over the world
2/ Lately there has been some events in Demon's Souls and I had to start a new character for US and EU to participate in the 2 regions.
3/ In Demon's Souls, the best server was the Japanese one.

Why does it matter what sever your friends are on, you're supposed to play with randoms.

I was once summoned while the host stood around for several minutes. Finally, a messaged popped up: srry im waitin fr friend. I stuck it out, his friend was summoned, and we beat the boss, but that's not really how it's supposed to be played.

What makes the Japanese server the best?

Seanspeed

Banned
Artorias beat the crap out of me the first several times I tried to fight him. I only barely beat him by summoning two phantoms. I really like the DLC's boss battles. I've always preferred bosses in these games who're mobile and aggressive as opposed to big stompy types. I never did fight Manus though, my old computer died before I finished the DLC. :x
Gotta say I agree about the faster, aggressive bosses. Artorias was one of the more fun bosses in the game for me. Lots of different moves to learn, gotta think quickly and act quickly, very stressful to get an opportunity to heal.

I finally beat him, though! The 'move forward' thing wasn't working for me. haha Rolling forward proved quite reliable, but just moving forward got me hit 2 out of 3 times. I made a downright sweaty affair of the fight. Fingers were getting slippery, my heart was pounding that deep, panicky way that only Dark Souls can make it! I spent periods of time where I had just a sliver of life left and was extremely scared to heal. My fears were justified as late in the fight, I twice try to heal and get gutted by his sword thrust immediately, luckily not killing me but bringing me right back down to no life left.

Great battle.

And then his little friend ended up killing me a couple times as I was so off guard from my dozen or so attempts at Artorias and getting my rhythm in tune with that fight.

Remembering I have Shadowplay, I saved the recording. Forgot I only had it set to record 5 minutes, but that turned out to be perfect to start the recording one of the times I was just hanging by a thread(hence the title of the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nP7YAHYa0

I just took my level 35 character into the DLC and was destroyed by the Sanctuary Guardian. I had become too used to fighting the big slow bosses (Gaping Dragon, Golem, Queelag), so now I get to re-learn fighting a fast, aggressive boss. And now I have a bloodstain stuck in the Sanctuary with 75 Humanity and 500k souls. :D

Saw this on reddit today
jFPQjfG.jpg

Sullichin

I'm only for separate servers as a practical network issue.

When I join server based multi-player games on PC, the number one criteria is ping, which is largely geography based.

If FROM has magic network code and hardware to put the global player base on the same server without issues, go for it. I'm very skeptical, though.

Screw this, I want global servers. I want to play against Japanese players and have a bigger pool of players when I play at weird hours, participate in fight clubs, play with GAffers, etc. When you beat the game a zillion times the "but you're just supposed to play with randoms!" argument is just silly. I do that too.

The network code doesn't necessarily have to be magic to simply prioritize lower latency connections. I'm a little skeptical about the netcode after Dark Souls too, but id rather deal with some lag than have the community segmented.

Soulhouf

Why does it matter what sever your friends are on, you're supposed to play with randoms.

I was once summoned while the host stood around for several minutes. Finally, a messaged popped up: srry im waitin fr friend. I stuck it out, his friend was summoned, and we beat the boss, but that's not really how it's supposed to be played.

Yes, the first couple times I beat the game, but after that, I like doing some co-op/pvp with friends.

What makes the Japanese server the best?

The general behavior and mindset of the Japanese players.
Among the random co-op and pvp I did in both souls games, I had way better experience with Japanese players. Of course I don't say that all westerns are assholes, there are all kind of people everywhere, but definitely in general I saw more random Japanese players who are good sport than anywhere else.

I want to play with all kind of crazy people from all over the world, even if I have to deal with lag. Screw the region lock.

Did anyone ever play Virtual Hydlide on the Saturn? I just randomly came across a video of it and got Souls vibes from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9offfJV-O0

I had a Saturn but I never played it at the time, although I know of the series and Super Hydlide on the Mega Drive. Any way, it looks horrible but it really reminded me of Souls :)

Yes. As much as I love my Saturn, Virtual Hydlide has a kind of DS vibe but it isn't a good game unfortunately.

MilkBeard

I just took my level 35 character into the DLC and was destroyed by the Sanctuary Guardian. I had become too used to fighting the big slow bosses (Gaping Dragon, Golem, Queelag), so now I get to re-learn fighting a fast, aggressive boss. And now I have a bloodstain stuck in the Sanctuary with 75 Humanity and 500k souls. :D

I loved the Sanctuary Guardian battle, actually more than Artorias. The reason is because the Guardian pulls these 'WTF' moves out of a bag all of a sudden, and gets really vicious. It felt like a vicious battle and I had to be quick. With Artorias, all you literally have to do is tank with a sturdy shield and wait for his longer animations.

EDIT: I remember the first time the Guardian pulled that 'fly to the side and shoot a giant lightning blast' attack, I was all like....wtf? No you just didn't do that bitch. It was great ha ha. After a while it becomes easy to avoid those but it was just a part of the surprise of that boss fight. I noticed the boss would also do these weird lightning fast twitches in place. The boss was just good design I think, really cool battle.

MilkBeard

Great battle.

And then his little friend ended up killing me a couple times as I was so off guard from my dozen or so attempts at Artorias and getting my rhythm in tune with that fight.

Remembering I have Shadowplay, I saved the recording. Forgot I only had it set to record 5 minutes, but that turned out to be perfect to start the recording one of the times I was just hanging by a thread(hence the title of the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nP7YAHYa0

Oh wow, what spirit level are you? Must be facing him at a low level. His attack may take your whole health in one swing, heh. I'm at 110 on ng + and he was challenging but not a big deal. I bet he's much more dangerous at a lower level. I have a lot of stamina so I could just tank his hits with my shield without much worry.

I loved the Sanctuary Guardian battle, actually more than Artorias. The reason is because the Guardian pulls these 'WTF' moves out of a bag all of a sudden, and gets really vicious. It felt like a vicious battle and I had to be quick. With Artorias, all you literally have to do is tank with a sturdy shield and wait for his longer animations.

EDIT: I remember the first time the Guardian pulled that 'fly to the side and shoot a giant lightning blast' attack, I was all like....wtf? No you just didn't do that bitch. It was great ha ha. After a while it becomes easy to avoid those but it was just a part of the surprise of that boss fight. I noticed the boss would also do these weird lightning fast twitches in place. The boss was just good design I think, really cool battle.

Sanctuary Guardian can also do some kind of Sonic the Hedgehog attack where he jumps and spins off your head. :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh wow, what spirit level are you? Must be facing him at a low level. His attack may take your whole health in one swing, heh. I'm at 110 on ng + and he was challenging but not a big deal. I bet he's much more dangerous at a lower level. I have a lot of stamina so I could just tank his hits with my shield without much worry.
Not that low. SL54. But yea, I think my Vitality is only at like 12 or something. I kinda like how getting hit is always a massive deal. His big jump attack was a one-hit kill.

I couldn't have done it without a fair amount of points towards Stamina, either - being able to eat a couple of his attacks was definitely necessary for me. Especially his 2nd and 3rd spin jumps. Those were hard to avoid for some reason(I could always dodge the first one). So I dodge, block, block. When he was buffed, this would mean I had just a sliver of stamina left, but that was enough!

MilkBeard

Damn, I was playing on vanilla Dark Souls (no patch updates) for a long time, so when I recently went online and got all the patches, it felt like Christmas because the Giant Blacksmith now sells Twinkling Titanite. That shit was really hard to come by before. I'm gonna upgrade everything now ha ha.

ISOM

New to dark souls here, bought it yesterday on steam. Is there any small guide or tips that I would need to be initiated to this game? I want to play the correct way but also don't want to much spoilers if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom