• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

New to dark souls here, bought it yesterday on steam. Is there any small guide or tips that I would need to be initiated to this game? I want to play the correct way but also don't want to much spoilers if that makes sense.
jmDTPpH.jpg

also feel free to add me on steam, I'm always willing to help out.

Feindflug

I'm closing in on 100 Sunlight Medals for my Sun Bro. :D

On my new playthrough I think I'm around 40 medals right now. Killed Gaping yesterday with two more white phantoms, he is a piece of cake but I said why not share the fight with two other noble souls? Today I'll proceed to Blighttown which will be quite interesting since I haven't done any co-op in there, I guess the safe bet on where to put a sign will be the lower (second) bonfire but I'll try and see if anyone will summon me in the first one.

Damn, I was playing on vanilla Dark Souls (no patch updates) for a long time, so when I recently went online and got all the patches, it felt like Christmas because the Giant Blacksmith now sells Twinkling Titanite. That shit was really hard to come by before. I'm gonna upgrade everything now ha ha.

? they are one of the easiest farms in the game. The clam things in the crystal cave have something like a 50% drop rate with max discovery and there is a bonfire right there in the cave next to the 6 of them once the boss is dead.

20. Kill the dogs first.

Love it! :)

? they are one of the easiest farms in the game. The clam things in the crystal cave have something like a 50% drop rate with max discovery and there is a bonfire right there in the cave next to the 6 of them once the boss is dead.
The patch made the bonfire warpable too. Can't think of another reason for that other than farming.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I just defeated the
Iron Golem at Sen's Fortress
, and now I made it to
Anor Londo
... Is there a way back or is this a point of no return? I didn't get to finish exploring and look for items :(

Has there been any word on whether Dark Souls II will be a PS3 day one digital download? the Blu Ray lense went out on mine and I don't really want to get a new one, but I will for Dark Souls. I forced myself to stop playing so I'd be more amped when II comes out, but I keep reading this thread. The thread always makes me want to create a new build to mess around with. Must be strong.

I just defeated the
Iron Golem at Sen's Fortress
, and now I made it to
Anor Londo
... Is there a way back or is this a point of no return? I didn't get to finish exploring and look for items :(
Also, there is also a shortcut in Sen's that takes you top to bottom, look out for it if you haven't unlocked it already - A lot of people find they want to go back to the blacksmith or something once they get to Anor Londo, and it makes getting back to the Parish so quick and easy.

Littleg

Neo Member
This game is killing me - I bought it when it had only been out a couple of weeks, stalled at the Capra Demon and gave up frustrated. Then came back to it after watching GB's Load Our Last Souls and getting the itch again.

I discovered that my equipment was all wrong and I was just fat-rolling around that terrible, tiny space while the Capra whaled on me. Combine that with bitching-out and getting the Drake Sword and pretty soon Capra and Havel were dead meat. But now I'm stuck on Gaping Dragon.

Having watched the Greenspeak stream, I know I'm better than him - I keep my shield up, manage my endurance and don't just wildly thrash at the heavy attack button whilst several feet from the enemy, but the fact is he's now passed me and is in fact making better progress. He definitely got the hang of rolling around the Dragon's attacks better than I have yet...

I've been Humanising and summoning the two guys right outside the boss room, but am I right in saying that makes the boss harder?

This game is killing me - I bought it when it had only been out a couple of weeks, stalled at the Capra Demon and gave up frustrated. Then came back to it after watching GB's Load Our Last Souls and getting the itch again.

I discovered that my equipment was all wrong and I was just fat-rolling around that terrible, tiny space while the Capra whaled on me. Combine that with bitching-out and getting the Drake Sword and pretty soon Capra and Havel were dead meat. But now I'm stuck on Gaping Dragon.

Having watched the Greenspeak stream, I know I'm better than him - I keep my shield up, manage my endurance and don't just wildly thrash at the heavy attack button whilst several feet from the enemy, but the fact is he's now passed me and is in fact making better progress. He definitely got the hang of rolling around the Dragon's attacks better than I have yet...

I've been Humanising and summoning the two guys right outside the boss room, but am I right in saying that makes the boss harder?

I like how Jeff Green is shaming other players into manning up. :D

When you summon, the boss gets a hp boost to balance it a bit for more than one player, but it isn't a big boost. It only makes it harder if you summon two phantoms that both die immediately, leaving you to fight alone against an hp boosted boss.

What level and platform are you playing on?

mannerbot

Not the best source for advice maybe as I'm on my first playthrough and I've only just beaten the Gaping Dragon myself, but this was the most braindead-easy boss in the entire game so far. I did it hollowed and without any summons. Just watch the patterns.

Tawpgun

Gonna beat that Gaping Dick today. Sick of his shit.

Is Havel the guy at the bottom of that tower? Dude one shots me like its nothing. Skipping him forever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That must've been patched in before I started playing as I always farmed those things but then I did come in 6 months late.

Yeah, twinkling titanite was really rare before the first patch, the clams hardly ever dropped it even with stacked item discovery, and you couldn't buy it from the blacksmith. Now it's almost too trivial to get, lol.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Is Havel the guy at the bottom of that tower? Dude one shots me like its nothing. Skipping him forever.

Yeah, that's him. I would recommend "visiting" him once you've gotten more comfortable with the game; you can get a potentially very useful item from him.

Gazoinks

Yeah, that's him. I would recommend "visiting" him once you've gotten more comfortable with the game; you can get a potentially very useful item from him.

I always kill Havel as soon as I possibly can, because his drop is so useful. It helps if you're good at backstabbing.

sikkinixx

So having some time to kill I farmed the slimes in the Depths for a while, until I had 20 Green titanite, and then upgraded my Claymore to +5 Divine, as well as the Uchi-whatever to +5 Divine. Combined with 30 faith everything dies very very quickly for now, which is nice. I also have a +6 Halberd which I'm unsure what I will do with.

I got a pyromancer flame and upgraded it to +8 along with Fire Orb (I think... the 6 use, medium AoE one), but compared to the Lightning Spear I find the pyromancy a lot harder to use as the character doesn't arc the throw very well so I have to be quite close for it to hit, making it kinda crappy. Plus if I have the flame equipped, I can only have one weapon which is annoying as hell (I have a Black Knight shield and the talisman on the left) as I like to switch between the claymore/katana depending on the situation. Also rotating through spells is annoying in the heat of things so I might just stick with miracles.

It's been a while since I was in a new place so every corner in the end area of the depths is freaking me out... especially since I have 14 humanity banked from killing the slime that I'll be sad to lose.

Also... fuck torch zombies. A sword takes off a smidge of health, torch zombie going nuts almost kills me.

2AdEPT

I took out the Gaping Dragon today (within seconds of Jeff Green--very proud of us both) and briefly entered Blighttown before some fat guy shoved me off a bridge. I noticed watching Jeff's stream that I am doing absolute shit for damage. My trusty Mace+2 could use a little work. Is there a blacksmith anywhere in my immediate future or should I make the trek back to the parish? And will it suffice to level it up a little bit still or are there other weapons I should look into picking up at this point? I'm level 30 or so with 21 Str and garbage Dex.

Thanks for the tips. I'm kinda dreading heading back to the Parish. The shortcut unlock system is very cool in a Metroid sorta way, but I have a hard time keeping it all straight. The open world is cool, but I want the Nexus back =(

So having some time to kill I farmed the slimes in the Depths for a while, until I had 20 Green titanite, and then upgraded my Claymore to +5 Divine, as well as the Uchi-whatever to +5 Divine. Combined with 30 faith everything dies very very quickly for now, which is nice. I also have a +6 Halberd which I'm unsure what I will do with.

I got a pyromancer flame and upgraded it to +8 along with Fire Orb (I think... the 6 use, medium AoE one), but compared to the Lightning Spear I find the pyromancy a lot harder to use as the character doesn't arc the throw very well so I have to be quite close for it to hit, making it kinda crappy. Plus if I have the flame equipped, I can only have one weapon which is annoying as hell (I have a Black Knight shield and the talisman on the left) as I like to switch between the claymore/katana depending on the situation. Also rotating through spells is annoying in the heat of things so I might just stick with miracles.

It's been a while since I was in a new place so every corner in the end area of the depths is freaking me out... especially since I have 14 humanity banked from killing the slime that I'll be sad to lose.

Also... fuck torch zombies. A sword takes off a smidge of health, torch zombie going nuts almost kills me.

anyone that wants to not miss any gear in Blighttown the place is riddled with loot. Most new players cant wait to get out though as it is also quite dangerous/annoying. Anyone wanting me to walk behind you as a bodyguard, and "oppos you missed it" helper for loot...send a message on steam..will be on tonight:
adepterik2 or AdEPTErik on GFWL.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So... the Prayer of Maiden achievement isn't shared through all characters? i spent the last hour farming Souviniers of Reprisal to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle ( the only one i didn't ever get) and still didn't get the achievement.

Arjen

So... the Prayer of Maiden achievement isn't shared through all characters? i spent the last hour farming Souviniers of Reprisal to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle ( the only one i didn't ever get) and still didn't get the achievement.

Nope, you need all the miracles on one character.

eot

Banned
I stumbled upon a really great let's play of Dark Souls (because there aren't enough of those out there). It's someone who's playing blind and does an amazing job of figuring things out on her own. It's pretty gratifying to watch her go through that process of discovery.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I stumbled upon a really great let's play of Dark Souls (because there aren't enough of those out there). It's someone who's playing blind and does an amazing job of figuring things out on her own. It's pretty gratifying to watch her go through that process of discovery.

Just watched the first 6 parts, fantastic. I love how she missed the msg on how to heal, then figured it out by watching an enemy do it. "Hey, he can heal and I can't! Wait, maybe I should check out that booze I got". She has a really meticulous and slow approach to the game (reads and checks everything), which really pays off in DkS.

Also, she thought backstabbing worked on everything and tried it on the demon, and discovered a good approach to kill him that way. Is there any game where watching new players is this much fun? Every run plays out differently.

Watching all of this later, it's great. Thanks for posting.

Arjen

Thanks for sharing, this is really fun to watch,

Arjen

But why all other achievements work with different characters?

For every achievement you need all the weapons/ miracles/pyromancies/spells on the same character.
But you can use different characters to get say, all the spells on an INT build, and your miracles on your faith build.
For the weapon achievement you'll have to do NG++ because siff's soul is needed for 3 boss weapons.

Sayah

Trying to get the durante fix to work. I copy/pasted the .dll and the .ini files into the main DARKSOULS.exe folder. But now the game isn't even running when I try to play.

Any help?

MilkBeard

Yeah, twinkling titanite was really rare before the first patch, the clams hardly ever dropped it even with stacked item discovery, and you couldn't buy it from the blacksmith. Now it's almost too trivial to get, lol.

Honestly I kind of wish they kept it as a rare drop, or maybe just a slightly higher frequency instead of practically handing it out like candy.

The plus side though, is that there is a ton of armor and weapons that need Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, and you will need like 4 of them per upgrade when you get close to maxing them. I'm gonna farm and max out the Artorias set because I just like the way it looks, ha ha.

Sullichin

Trying to get the durante fix to work. I copy/pasted the .dll and the .ini files into the main DARKSOULS.exe folder. But now the game isn't even running when I try to play.

Any help?

Make sure you're copying everything from the DSFix download into that DATA directory, there is more than just .dll and .ini file.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
For every achievement you need all the weapons/ miracles/pyromancies/spells on the same character.
But you can use different characters to get say, all the spells on an INT build, and your miracles on your faith build.
For the weapon achievement you'll have to do NG++ because siff's soul is needed for 3 boss weapons.

Weird, i got the weapons achievement with different characters, the only weapons missing on one character were Chaos Blade and Greatshield of Artorias and i have those in other character.

MrDaravon

Count someone else in who started playing the game because of Jeff Green's livestream :D

I played the game a little bit when it first came out, but just didn't get really into it for some reason. IIRC I got just past the dragon bridge and to the boar (?) and whatnot when I had stopped playing. Jeff streaming it plus it being $5 for the digital version on 360 a few weeks back got me to pick it back up and I fucking love it. I feel like if I had played like just an hour or two past where I got the first time it would have clicked. The sense of satisfaction for exploration and discovery in the game is amazing.

I'm not really sure what people would consider spoilers at this point, but seeing other new players in the last page or two I will spoiler tag stuff, keep in mind I'm only maybe 6-8 hours in at this point still. This time I started as a Wanderer and decided specifically not to get the
Drake Sword
, since I've seen in passing some people recommend against that. Managed to kill the
Taurus Demon
on my second or third try. I also managed to kill both of the black knights up until this point, the first one I remembered how to cheese kill using
the ladder
, and I just kited the second one on top of the tower down to the bonfire area, and managed to whittle him down on my third or so try. This go around I also finally figured out how to kill
the boar, I was easily dodging his attacks but doing like no damage until I accidentally kited him onto the fires
so that was awesome. Also can't remember his name, but I killed
the big knight guy in the cathedral guarding that body with the firelink soul
on my first try, and the
demon thing that shoots lightning at you just down the stairs from the blacksmith
on the second try.

Aside from all of that though, I just love the exploration, and even finding small things I missed in areas I had already been to. At the same time I have a friend who got the game from the sale as well and we're at about the same amount of time put in. What's amazing though is we both went on alternate paths completely missing the path that the other one took. Right after
the Taurus demon I went down the stairs on the bridge and opened the shortcut to the bonfire, but TOTALLY missed the door your could take under the bridge; I went under the bridge but totally missed the door on the left there. So I went back up and managed to run under the dragon and did everything that way. So we're talking and I was telling him that I killed the demon just past the blacksmith and he's like what the fuck are you talking about, there's just a bunch of rats. Then I'm like what are YOU talking about, turns out he found that path under the bridge that I missed because I'm blind, and somehow wound up going even deeper into some area with a bunch of ghosts and shit and found a blacksmith down there. So I'm like oh shit, so while I'm heading to check that out he found his way out of there with the ladder that goes up into the tower the black knight is on right after the dragon, but he gets killed because the gate to the bonfire is closed and he had triggered the black knight who wrecked him. Then while that's happening and I'm heading back there I remembered I found the key that opens the door right before you go across the bridge, I take that path and find the shortcut back up to Undead Burg near the bonfire there and we're both like AW SHIT THIS IS AWESOME. So now I went down to the Parish and cleared that out (but didn't attempt the boss yet), then went back to the Blacksmith and hit the forest. I found a closed gate of some kind that I can around the corner outside see a bonfire at which is near the boss which I'm guessing I need the 20k item from the blacksmith to open the door. Then I went the other way down the long winding paths which I think is maybe the opposite direction I saw Jeff Green take it, because by complete accident I stumbled across that hardcore knight (not havel) on the slope and was like fuck this and bailed.

tl;dr - I fucking love this game so much and wish I had gone back to it sooner. I do have some very general questions though:

-Is doing the jump attack (RS + RT on 360) just a bitch or what? I can't seem to consistently get the timing at all. I have a little bit of trouble with the kick attack (RS + RB), but not nearly as much.

-At the point where I am at
the dragon on top of the bridge
has completely disappeared, and I didn't kill it. Is this normal? I'm guessing I hit a trigger point of some kind maybe? Only thinking maybe it glitched out because I went back to the bridge from the bonfire side and I could see it's shadow in that room, but when I went out there it was totally gone, and I've rested and been other places and back and it's still gone.

-I don't want to go full on with this, but I really like doing parry/ripostes, is that a bad habit to be in at this point? It usually works out for me, and I don't think I've actually died from doing it or anything, but I don't know if it's maybe leading me to think I'm better than I actually am lol.

-A couple of general gear questions; right now these are my stats:

4Eqowem.jpg

I'm using a Scimitar+4 with a Black Knight Shield, and except for Balder Gauntlets and the Blue Tearstone Ring I'm still using all of the Wanderer gear you start with (but haven't reinforced any of it yet). I definitely don't want to play a heavy build, but I'm a bit surprised I haven't found any other obvious upgrades? I messed with the Shortsword (?) a bit but I prefer the Scimitar even though I dislike that it doesn't have a kick move so I'm guessing I should go Dex, but what about my armor? The other light armor pieces I have found (Thief and I think a black leather set?) were tradeoffs at the best, so I'm wondering if I should actually start considering reinforcing the starting set or should I hold out for a bit? I know I could only get the Scimitar up one more but if I find another 1-handed weapon I like I have no problems ditching it and getting a new one up. Also not sure about the shields; from what I recall the main thing you're looking at is the stability and physical defense stat right? I put a couple points into strength just to be able to equip the Black Knight shield since it still has the 100% physical reduction that the Knight and Hollow shields did, but higher stability and much higher fire and lightning resist (at the cost of a bit of Magic resist).

Gazoinks

-Is doing the jump attack (RS + RT on 360) just a bitch or what? I can't seem to consistently get the timing at all. I have a little bit of trouble with the kick attack (RS + RB), but not nearly as much.

-At the point where I am at
the dragon on top of the bridge
has completely disappeared, and I didn't kill it. Is this normal? I'm guessing I hit a trigger point of some kind maybe? Only thinking maybe it glitched out because I went back to the bridge from the bonfire side and I could see it's shadow in that room, but when I went out there it was totally gone, and I've rested and been other places and back and it's still gone.

-I don't want to go full on with this, but I really like doing parry/ripostes, is that a bad habit to be in at this point? It usually works out for me, and I don't think I've actually died from doing it or anything, but I don't know if it's maybe leading me to think I'm better than I actually am lol.

-A couple of general gear questions; right now these are my stats:

4Eqowem.jpg

I'm using a Scimitar+4 with a Black Knight Shield, and except for Balder Gauntlets and the Blue Tearstone Ring I'm still using all of the Wanderer gear you start with (but haven't reinforced any of it yet). I definitely don't want to play a heavy build, but I'm a bit surprised I haven't found any other obvious upgrades? I messed with the Shortsword (?) a bit but I prefer the Scimitar even though I dislike that it doesn't have a kick move so I'm guessing I should go Dex, but what about my armor? The other light armor pieces I have found (Thief and I think a black leather set?) were tradeoffs at the best, so I'm wondering if I should actually start considering reinforcing the starting set or should I hold out for a bit? I know I could only get the Scimitar up one more but if I find another 1-handed weapon I like I have no problems ditching it and getting a new one up. Also not sure about the shields; from what I recall the main thing you're looking at is the stability and physical defense stat right? I put a couple points into strength just to be able to equip the Black Knight shield since it still has the 100% physical reduction that the Knight and Hollow shields did, but higher stability and much higher fire and lightning resist (at the cost of a bit of Magic resist).
Always glad to see more people get into this game!

1. It's kinda tricky. Just practice quickly pushing forward while hitting RT at the same time.
2. I can't remember what triggers it, but him vanishing is normal.
3. As long as you can do it consistently, parry will make your life way easier. You can even parry the final boss!
4. The most important thing about armor is its poise, which prevents you from being stunned by attacks. If you're rocking light armor you probably won't have any poise, so just use the ones with the higher resistances or the one that you think looks coolest. Don't bother upgrading armor at all. It's very easy to get weapons up to +5, so I wouldn't worry too much about experimenting with upgrading a bunch of stuff. If you like fast weapons, you do want to go dex. Also never put points into res.

MrDaravon

Always glad to see more people get into this game!

1. It's kinda tricky. Just practice quickly pushing forward while hitting RT at the same time.
2. I can't remember what triggers it, but him vanishing is normal.
3. As long as you can do it consistently, parry will make your life way easier. You can even parry the final boss!
4. The most important thing about armor is its poise, which prevents you from being stunned by attacks. If you're rocking light armor you probably won't have any poise, so just use the ones with the higher resistances or the one that you think looks coolest. Don't bother upgrading armor at all. It's very easy to get weapons up to +5, so I wouldn't worry too much about experimenting with upgrading a bunch of stuff. If you like fast weapons, you do want to go dex. Also never put points into res.

Thanks! I've seen quite a few people (and that image on tips for beginners on this page) all mention the res thing as well. After making the post above I hilariously realized that I completely forgot to actually go fight and kill
the Gargoyles
so I just did that and rocked them on my third attempt after rolling off the edge the first time haha. So that got me the helm you get for beating them which was way better and I did upgrade that twice. Right now I'm thinking I'll go try to beat the boss in the Parish first before going back to the forest.

Also I completely forgot to post my oh shit this game is amazing moment of clarity. I was taking the elevator from the
cathedral to firelink
and noticed you it was going past a ledge I could probably get off at. So I did that and looked around and could see a body on a roof. After several attempts I figured out how to get to it and got that key and was just like holy shit this is the best. I love how the game really rewards you for looking around.

Gazoinks

Also I completely forgot to post my oh shit this game is amazing moment of clarity. I was taking the elevator from the
cathedral to firelink
and noticed you it was going past a ledge I could probably get off at. So I did that and looked around and could see a body on a roof. After several attempts I figured out how to get to it and got that key and was just like holy shit this is the best. I love how the game really rewards you for looking around.

There's more to find up there. :)

Soulhouf

Holy crap o_O
I would never thought that watching someone learning the game would be so interesting. These videos ended up being perhaps the most interesting I've ever seen.
It's mainly because she's discovering everything by herself and never skip anything (skipping parts, killing bosses without seeing their pattern, putting crappy music always pissed me off).

Really amazing. Thank you man, this made my day.

Gazoinks

*Starts watching*

Oh god she picked Deprived.

Thanks for the link. :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Still watching the Kay run and how she handles the first black knight is remarkable to say the least. She's playing very well for someone new at the game.

MrDaravon

There's more to find up there. :)

Fuuuuuuck lol. I'll have to look again when I go up there.

I think I got lucky, but I beat the
Capra Demon
on my first attempt. Combination of luck, abusing the staircase and the area to the right of the door (he didn't seem to know what to do there). Right now the only thing wrecking me is
Havel (sp?)
, he just straight one-shots me. Currently I've cleared the Depths but the boss in there just wrecked me, I did the two NPC summons but probably should have tried a Pine Resin. Other than this and the guy one-shotting me almost everything is pointing to me needing to try the forest again after this probably and look around in there, I bounced out since I was getting the impression I should do that after where I'm at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom