• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

I remember fighting him without summoning him before the Catacombs boss, I didn't even know you could summon him for help.
My my, you are right!

Leeroy's invasion will happen regardless if he's summoned in the catacombs or not.
Note: You have to have placed the Lord Vessel at the altar and making the Yellowish/Red Fog gates disappear. Otherwise Leeroy will not invade you.
Sorry for the bad info! ^^
You also have to do it BEFORE killing Nito.

Shito

If you have the lordvessel, you can either go and speak with Frampt in Firelink Shrine, or avoid him and beat Four Kings first to see what happens then. :)

If you have the lordvessel, you can either go and speak with Frampt in Firelink Shrine, or avoid him and beat Four Kings first to see what happens then. :)

Ah OK, I knew about those two but didn't know I should do either first. I want to join the covenant from after Four Kings. Might wait for Leeroy in NG+

I always think about Leeroy Jenkins when I hear the name mentioned :D

Oh OK, didn't know that. Off to find Four Kings then I guess...

That's a bit of a reshuffle then. I need to:

- Warp to Anor Lando and head towards Dukes Archives.
- Grab the two miracles from the Princess Guard Covenant,
- Finish this level
- Leave Princess Guard
- Heard towards to The Abyss
- Four Kings
- Lord Vessel placement
- Join Covenant
- Back to Tomb of Giants

That sound right?

ijed

Might pick it up then. I got the plat for Demon's and while it was (mostly) enjoyable, it was very exhausting (bad luck with Crystal Lizards, pure bladestone). Wasn't sure if I should commit to something like that again lol.

Nothing like farming Bladestone thank gawd (soulsucking those bp skellies 400 times xD).
Only annoyance is getting the tail drops - if you miss them you have to wait till next game cycle to try again...

I always think about Leeroy Jenkins when I hear the name mentioned :D

Dark Souls |OT5| Leeeeeerrrrooooy!

Styles

Oh OK, didn't know that. Off to find Four Kings then I guess...

- Finish this level
- Leave Princess Guard
- Four Kings
- Lord Vessel placement
- Join Covenant
- Back to Tomb of Giants

That sound right?

Might as well spoiler it just in case.
You can only enter the Dukes Archive once you've placed the Lord Vessel. Same goes for Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith as they are the final dungeons.

Shito

- Finish this level
- Leave Princess Guard
- Four Kings
- Lord Vessel placement
- Join Covenant
- Back to Tomb of Giants

That sound right?
Nay, you can't access Duke's Archives if you haven't placed the lordvessel. :)
The only one of the four Lords you have access to before placing the lordvessel is Four Kings.
Also, if you want the two miracles from Duke's, you don't need to be in the Princess Guard Covenant ; this I'm sure of I've checked it myself this current run. So your only option at the moment is to go and beat Four Kings if you want to join the Darkwraith covenant.

Well, getting close to the end of my first run, probably will be 80+ hours, with a ton of idling time. I have to say though, all the stages past the lordvessel have been a major pain in the ass. Beating 4 kings, Nito and Seath with my +4 Quelaag's Furysword was manageable though. I have to admit, I started with no intention of jumping online for multiplayer, but that free xbox live weekend was pretty awesome. I wasted a lot of time co-oping O&S for sure.

Ah Ok, I thought that meant you had sinned if you did that?

Apparently not, but I'd have to double-check when I go to rejoin the forest covenant.

Sullichin

Well, getting close to the end of my first run, probably will be 80+ hours, with a ton of idling time. I have to say though, all the stages past the lordvessel have been a major pain in the ass. Beating 4 kings, Nito and Seath with my +4 Quelaag's Furysword was manageable though. I have to admit, I started with no intention of jumping online for multiplayer, but that free xbox live weekend was pretty awesome. I wasted a lot of time co-oping O&S for sure.

Apparently not, but I'd have to double-check when I go to rejoin the forest covenant.

You'd have sinned against the forest covenant if you fought against the forest peeps. Then you would need to absolve your sins before the cat will let you join. I'm almost positive Kaathe won't give a shit that you're in the princess guard, and will let you join darkwraiths. I switched covenants several times in my playthroughs and never had to absolve my sins. You lose your rank in the current covenant though.

The only time you won't betray a Covenant without using Oswald is when you leave your current one for the Forest Hunters. I'm pretty sure you take no penalties in doing so and Covenant NPCs aren't hostile. If you switch from Covenant to Covenant without Oswald, that counts as betrayal and sin. It also makes you a target for Darkmoon Blade invasion.

Sullichin

The only time you won't betray a Covenant without using Oswald is when you leave your current one for the Forest Hunters. I'm pretty sure you take no penalties in doing so and Covenant NPCs aren't hostile. If you switch from Covenant to Covenant without Oswald, that counts as betrayal and sin. It also makes you a target for Darkmoon Blade invasion.

But i've switched between princess, sunbro, and chaos covenant without ever absolving my sins? The egg dude in the chaos covenant, for example, was not hostile to me when I was a sunbro (but used to be in chaos covenant).

EDIT: to be on the safe side i'd get out of any covenant before joining darkwraiths
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Darkwraith

Bugs
If you go near Kaathe while a member of the Princess Guard Covenant, he will DISAPPEAR for the rest of your playthrough. Absolving your sins does not cause him to reappear. Also happened while rank 2 Chaos Covenant, Kaathe was nowhere to be found in The Abyss. (making Kingseeker Frampt retract after having spoken to him after obtaining the Lordvessel does not cause him to appear(although with rank 2 Chaos Covenant))
(Unconfirmed: Need more information)

BTW, speaking of Leeroy, I didn't summon him for the Pinwheel fight, but he still invaded me in the Tomb of Giants and I was able to get his armor set in Nito's chamber. Just trying to clarify since people were discussing a couple posts back.

So my brother gave me this for christmas and I just got around to playing it this morning. I had looked up a couple things so I didn't screw myself too much with character creation but otherwise going in blind. This game is ridiculous in a good way and I'm only a small bit in, got to the first bonfire in the undead city.

Couple of questions, I went with a knight to begin with but as far as I can tell the only difference in characters is starting stats/equipment etc. Is this right?

Also, is there any way to sell loot I don't want or should I just drop it somewhere and most importantly, is there anything in general I should be aware of that might possibly screw me later on down the line or cause me to miss something that then becomes impossible to get?

Awesome game so far though, really digging the dangerous combat + exploration aspects.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BTW, speaking of Leeroy, I didn't summon him for the Pinwheel fight, but he still invaded me in the Tomb of Giants and I was able to get his armor set in Nito's chamber. Just trying to clarify since people were discussing a couple posts back.

Yes, this was true for me as well.

It's got to be the Lordvessel placement that is tripping up KennyLinder.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Ok so I am confused and on the verge of pissed.

I just beat the Gaping Demon in the Depths, and no I wanna exit the Depths. How in the F do I get out. I opened Blight town, but I dont wanna fight through there. I wanna go make a replenish everything.

krakov

So my brother gave me this for christmas and I just got around to playing it this morning. I had looked up a couple things so I didn't screw myself too much with character creation but otherwise going in blind. This game is ridiculous in a good way and I'm only a small bit in, got to the first bonfire in the undead city.

Couple of questions, I went with a knight to begin with but as far as I can tell the only difference in characters is starting stats/equipment etc. Is this right?

Also, is there any way to sell loot I don't want or should I just drop it somewhere and most importantly, is there anything in general I should be aware of that might possibly screw me later on down the line or cause me to miss something that then becomes impossible to get?

Awesome game so far though, really digging the dangerous combat + exploration aspects.

You are correct about the classes. I would recommend keeping most stuff around, some of the items may come in handy later on.

The only thing you really need to know right now is that Humanity gives you the ability to summon help, it also allows you to be invaded though. You can use humanity to kindle bonfires which will give you 10 flasks instead of 5 whenever you rest there. Other than that, just go with your own pace and explore.

Just finished this guy up over the weekend, man what a game. I got it day one, and it was pretty much the only thing that I played from then until now. Just a tick over 80 hours which is by far the most time that I have put into any game in years. At this point in my gaming life I've played enough stuff that most things feel pretty samey, but this was a breath of fresh air in so many ways.

I was a little let down by the end areas, as just as the game was starting to drag a bit it hit some of the most uninspired locations. Still not enough to mark it down that much.

mxgt

Banned
Ok so I am confused and on the verge of pissed.

I just beat the Gaping Demon in the Depths, and no I wanna exit the Depths. How in the F do I get out. I opened Blight town, but I dont wanna fight through there. I wanna go make a replenish everything.

You can backtrack all the way out the way you came.

Alternatively use a homeward bone

sick of smough and ornstein, can kill ornstein but then smough is too difficult. his fucking hammer charge attack completely depletes all of my stamina.

its fucking bullshit.

tried summoning solaire and hes the worst summon ever. absolutely useless. he goes straight after smough even though when i kill ornstein smough gets all his health back, whats the fucking point.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
There is no way you came into the depths. You fall down a hole to get here. Is there no connection besides those holes.

I dont wanna waste Homeward bound

EasyMode

sick of smough and ornstein, can kill ornstein but then smough is too difficult. his fucking hammer charge attack completely depletes all of my stamina.

its fucking bullshit.

tried summoning solaire and hes the worst summon ever. absolutely useless. he goes straight after smough even though when i kill ornstein smough gets all his health back, whats the fucking point.

If you see Smough start that hammer charge, roll back/away from him. When you do that he will end the charge and his attack should miss.

Solaire's somewhat useful during the first phase since he provides a distraction, which should allow you to save most of your estus flasks for the second phase.

If you see Smough start that hammer charge, roll back/away from him. When you do that he will end the charge and his attack should miss.

Solaire's somewhat useful during the first phase since he provides a distraction, which should allow you to save most of your estus flasks for the second phase.

sometimes i roll away and his attack misses, but sometimes i roll away the same distance as i did before but he just keeps on fucking going.

also ornsteins attacks are fucking bullshit as well, he'll do that move when he locks on to you and rushes towards you, except he'll get caught on smough for like 20 seconds, just gliding constantly, and then all of a sudden smough will move out of the way and i'll get a faceful of spear.

the only way ive seen people beat them on youtube is because they have gigantic stamina bars that can block smoughs attacks. im soul level 45 and have 20 endurance, it's just not enough.

Shito

I found Solaire to be quite useful on my second run, while I was initially thinking he was trash for this fight. He seems to be concentrating on the one boss you're not taking care of, so that you can fight one on one. It is then up to you to end this fight as quickly as possible, so that Solaire is still alive for the big showdown. With my second character I managed to beat them on my first try: aggroed Smough, let Solaire handle Ornstein in the back, promptly killed Smough, and then used Solaire as a decoy for super-Ornstein's fucking spear grab. Killed them quite easily, to my surprise, with Solaire still having more than half his life at the end.

Praise the sun, bro.

sometimes i roll away and his attack misses, but sometimes i roll away the same distance as i did before but he just keeps on fucking going.

That attack tracks to a certain degree, it's pretty safe if you start retreating back while he starts the attack, then roll backwards when he's halfway into the charge or so. At that point, he should be committed to charging a certain distance and you should be safe.

You could also go online and find someone to help you out. Although that's not an option for some people, me being one of them lol.

just tried again, solaire had half of his health took off by the giant guards outside, he then arrived through the fog door late, and glitched on the fog so he was constantly running the other way.

he promptly died, and then i got smashed by smough. that was my last 2 humanities.

fuck this game. demons souls was never this cheesy.

Yo Gotti

Banned

its fucking bullshit.

Your stamina is just low, super smough is easy as hell and he damn sure shouldn't be breaking your guard.

Here are your options:

1. Get a better shield.
2. Level up your current shield.
3. Level up Endurance
4. Get better at dodging

Shito

Leveling up in this game is rarely a good option (only really useful for endurance); Yo Gotti has his list quite right, and in the right order.
I might suggest finding / upgrading your weapon, finding / upgrading a better armor, and never hesitate to completely change from your usual gear if it helps you in a fight. For O&S you basically want a very good set of armor (black armor, which you can find near the big painting, is a very good choice) and the most stable shield you can find (eagle shield is a must). You also need to deal fire damage if you want to kill them rather quickly; either an ascended pyro glove or the queelag sword will help you TONS in this fight.
Don't hesitate to totally rethink the way you deal with a boss if you see yours is not working.

Also, never summon an NPC when enemies are still in the way, for they will aggro them and lose some precious health.

Sullichin

just tried again, solaire had half of his health took off by the giant guards outside, he then arrived through the fog door late, and glitched on the fog so he was constantly running the other way.

he promptly died, and then i got smashed by smough. that was my last 2 humanities.

fuck this game. demons souls was never this cheesy.

This is far from a cheesy fight. I beat it at level 15 so it's definitely doable without much stamina. Solaire is helpful because he's a distraction. And yeah sometimes he doesn't make it through the fog if you run past the sentinels. When Smough is charging with his hammer run away if you have time and only block if you don't have another choice because it will eat up your whole stamina bar. Dodging his lightning butt slam is easy once you can tell that he's going to do it. And it leaves him open for attack slightly afterward. Just don't get greedy - don't attack when it's not safe. And of course don't keep your shield up too long because you'll want your stamina to regenerate fast. It's much harder to beat Smough first and then deal with Super Ornstein.

I got owned the first several times I fought them on my first playthrough. But now they're my favorite boss in the game.

looks like a i need a new weapon then. my lightning spear doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to despatch ornstein quick enough.

i am using the eagle shield and its great for all the enemies, i can deal with them no problem, i just need some more stamina.

i think i need some key rings tbh. i need that ring that raises your equip burden, so i can equip some good armour instead of this crimson robe shiz. also i'd be able to ruin them both if i had that ring that makes you roll really fast. any ideas on where to get them?

Sullichin

looks like a i need a new weapon then. my lightning spear doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to despatch ornstein quick enough.

i am using the eagle shield and its great for all the enemies, i can deal with them no problem, i just need some more stamina.

i think i need some key rings tbh. i need that ring that raises your equip burden, so i can equip some good armour instead of this crimson robe shiz. also i'd be able to ruin them both if i had that ring that makes you roll really fast. any ideas on where to get them?

I wouldn't suggest the lightning spear for that battle. I've tried it and like you said it doesn't work well against ornstein. I suggest a fire weapon if you have one. fire uchigatana or queelag's furysword are my preference. I don't like lightning spear much or any of the spear move sets. I was pissed I missed my chance to get it on my first play through but then didn't use it much when I did get it. It's so useless against the mosquitos in blighttown lol. I much prefer weapons with a more diverse move set.

havel's ring (increase equip burden) is all the way back in undead burg, open the door at the bottom of the tower where you got to Taurus.

Dark Wood Grain Ring (flip instead of roll) is in the forest. You have to join the cat covenant, then a guy wielding a big curved sword will appear nearby. Behind HIM is an invisible ninja type dude. Kill him (the invisible one) and he'll drop this ring (you'll be kicked out of the covenant and the forest will hate you, so maybe homeward bone out of there).

Also, when I was level 15 I wore most of Havel's full set. I couldn't rely on rolling, but running/backing away far enough is still possible to dodge their attacks.

Daante

its still unclear what exactly the PENDANT does right? (as you can choose as starting gift)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/12/afterwords-dark-souls.aspx

"In interviews leading up to Dark Souls’ release, you suggested that players should go with the pendant starting gift. There’s still a lot of confusion and mystery in the community surrounding what this item affects. Now that the game has been out for a while, care to give any further clues?

Hm.... I am very happy to get this question because this is exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of the item. Please find it out on your own! [laughs]"

tc farks

Hm....I am very happy to get this question because this is exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of the item. Please find it out on your own! [laughs]

:trollface

Sullichin

The most reasonable theory that I've seen re: the pendant was on reddit, someone said they noticed seeing their OWN blood stains (that they could replay the deaths of) a lot when they chose the pendant. Would fit the 'comforting memories' or whatever in the description (i realize it's the same description as another item). Idk. maybe it unlocks the nexus and lets you play through Bolteria In Dark Souls. :D

I think FROM got jealous of urban legends surrounding Smoke or Sheng Long so they wanted to create their own, albeit by completely trolling everyone (that's my theory on the pendent)

Four Kings. WTF.

Can't seem to see why one is hittable but another is not. What's the trick here, they are tough!

No matter, it was easy once I really hit them hard!!!!

mxgt

Banned
Four Kings. WTF.

Can't seem to see why one is hittable but another is not. What's the trick here, they are tough!

Rush them down before they gang up on you.

Heavy armour + hard hitting weapon helps. worked really when I took them on for the first time, they weren't that tough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom