• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
OK I am in the Dark Wraith Covenant now, so I can invade other players? What are the benefits of doing that? Just griefing?

Depends, you can join it to actually PvP (can only invade players same and above your level IIRC) or you can use it to grief, i.e make a pimped out low level character and grief new players because that's so much fun obviously

What does Offering Souls to the Lordvessel do?

When you get the souls of
the Four Kings, Gravelord Nito, Seath and the Bed of Chaos
you offer them and it opens
the last area

Depends, you can join it to actually PvP (can only invade players same and above your level IIRC) or you can use it to grief, i.e make a pimped out low level character and grief new players because that's so much fun obviously

Meh fuck "cheating" with a low level character, but the PvP would be cool, I've really enjoyed most of the invasions I've had against me. Will give it a go for sure :)

Out of interest, how would you do it with a low level character? I thought that boss fight was rather tricky, with a low level character it would be super nails hard, or am I missing something?

I found a "Very Large Ember" in the Ruins, so I can now increase my Man-Serpent weapon to +14. I need something called a Slab or Slate to make it go to +15. I assume they are rare items?

mxgt

Banned
Out of interest, how would you do it with a low level character? I thought that boss fight was rather tricky, with a low level character it would be super nails hard, or am I missing something?

Sounds exactly like it is, have to kill Four Kings as a extreme low soul level to do it. Ideally they do it with a Pyromancer because they start at SL1

I found a "Very Large Ember" in the Ruins, so I can now increase my Man-Serpent weapon to +14. I need something called a Slab or Slate to make it go to +15. I assume they are rare items?

Extremely. Can only get a few per playthrough max unless you're a masochist and want to farm darkwraiths for hours upon end and maybe not even get 1.

1 from Stray Demon in the asylum
1 for completing Siegmeyer of Catarina quest line
1 possibly from Great Hollow crystal lizards

So use them sparingly, unlike me, cause I wasted mine and now I have to wait for my next playthrough :p

went back to the undead burg, got the havel ring, got the ring that makes you roll really quick. ended up beating the moonlight butterfly and sif with incredible ease even though i couldn't manage those two fuckers. got my queelag's fire sword then went back and destroyed them both.

happy ending for me, and as a reward i got to see dem tittays. i think the thing that made it much easier was upgrading my eagle shield to +8. it meant i could block smough's attacks better.

how much longer do i have left?

J-Roderton

went back to the undead burg, got the havel ring, got the ring that makes you roll really quick. ended up beating the moonlight butterfly and sif with incredible ease even though i couldn't manage those two fuckers. got my queelag's fire sword then went back and destroyed them both.

happy ending for me, and as a reward i got to see dem tittays. i think the thing that made it much easier was upgrading my eagle shield to +8. it meant i could block smough's attacks better.

how much longer do i have left?

Seems that you and I are on the same page here. I'm probably going to go into Catacombs next. Still got a little ways to go before this game is finished, though.

Wallachia

What ember are people using that keeps a visible, crackling flame on their weapon? Or is that just the pine resin that does that?

one more question, my armour is getting old and stale and pretty awful. at my current point in the game (after anor londo and the lord vessel) whats the best armour i can get that also leaves me quite versatile?

J-Roderton

one more question, my armour is getting old and stale and pretty awful. at my current point in the game (after anor londo and the lord vessel) whats the best armour i can get that also leaves me quite versatile?

You could grab Havel's armor from Anor Londo. It's pretty good, but you won't be very fast. At the moment I'm just using Silver Knight armor, Havel's helm, Havel's gloves, Black Tights, and Havels ring, pretty much just because it looks cool. Works for me, especially with Havel's ring.

I think the Black Iron set is fairly good, I just haven't tried it yet.

sixghost

I recommend the Steel set you get from the merchant in Sen's. The helmet looks kind of silly though, but plenty of helmets fit the style of the armor.

Sullichin

Who did you kill last in the O&S fight? If you killed Ornstein last you can buy his armor (medium weight, I love this armor), if you killed Smough last you can buy his (heavy but high poise, fairly ridiculous looking) from Domhall who will be under the bridge to the burg from firelink. I like Domhall's "Armor of the Glorious" too, but it can't be upgraded.

Just beat Demon's Souls. Dark Souls trained me well for that game, it seemed easier. Beat most of the bosses on my first try

Dresden

Is there really anything that could go wrong if I make Anor Londo dark. Is it pretty much what I'm supposed to do?

You lock yourself out of the Princess Guard and the Darkmoon Blade covenants. All the enemies disappear.

In return you get to kill Gwyndolin and you can sit and wait for invasions from Darkmoon dudes.

J-Roderton

You lock yourself out of the Princess Guard and the Darkmoon Blade covenants. All the enemies disappear.

In return you get to kill Gwyndolin and you can sit and wait for invasions from Darkmoon dudes.

I can fight him without having that moon ring, right?

Sayah

This game is so......very......addictive. FromSoftware......you better be developing the successor to Dark Souls right now.

malfcn

I don't like stuff that shows my face when dead, for some reason I'm red.

I should upgrade some stuff...

x22 Titanite Shards
x12 Large Titanite Shard
x4 Titanite Chunk
x1 Titanite Slab
x12 Green Titanite Shard
x3 Blue Titanite Chunk
x3 Twinkling Titanite
x2 Demon Titanite
x2 Dragon Scale

See, I have this problem of hoarding things in games. Because I can not decide what I want to use them on. Or, I fear too much that I will "mess up" and then they will be lost or wasted.

Also, about 60 hours and lvl61 now.

Shito

I'm the same as you, regarding items and collectibles.
If that makes you feel better about using them, of all the items you have the titanite slab and the dragon scales are the only ones you can't easily farm or buy later in the game.

edbrat

I'm the same as you, regarding items and collectibles.
If that makes you feel better about using them, of all the items you have the titanite slab and the dragon scales are the only ones you can't easily farm or buy later in the game.

I was way late on upgrading anything on my first runthrough, made it trickier than it should have been but I had a crapload of materials when I finally went about it. Just choose wisely with the slab and dragon scales (dat moonlight greatsword), everything else is gettable without too much discomfort.

Jira

Well hello everyone. I just finished getting my Platinum trophy in Demon's Souls in 11 days and I'm ready to start Dark Souls. Gonna make a Pyromancer.

Shito

Pssht, pyro... real men avoid "easy mode" on their first run and play melee or pure sorcerer. :)

(enjoy your first playthrough! oh, the lost feeling of discovery...)

TommyT

So I've been out of Dark Souls for awhile and still have the original unpatched (ever) game... has the community decided on level cap range? What about pvp builds, I'm sure there's are myriad of them now.

Jira

Pssht, pyro... real men avoid "easy mode" on their first run and play melee or pure sorcerer. :)

I played a Soldier when I first started DeS, a friend suggested I play Pyro for my first run through. I'm finding Dark Souls to be a HELL of a lot more challenging than Demon's, the damn skeletons are kicking my ass unless I nuke them but I don't want to waste my limited Fireballs. The skeletons have parried me 3x now for a crit :-(

TommyT

I played a Soldier when I first started DeS, a friend suggested I play Pyro for my first run through. I'm finding Dark Souls to be a HELL of a lot more challenging than Demon's, the damn skeletons are kicking my ass unless I nuke them but I don't want to waste my limited Fireballs. The skeletons have parried me 3x now for a crit :-(

It's all about learning attack patterns and stances. They parry based out of a certain stance. If you come in for a melee attack while they're like that, you'll most likely be parried. Strafe around behind them for a backstab, or just wait back a bit until they change stances again.

Best tip I heard (well two) was to get a bow and arrow asap so that you can solo pull. Then learn that mobs attacks, patterns, and whatnot. Once you have those figured out it's all a piece of cake.

Dresden

Pure sorceror is easy mode. (Except when you go into Blighttown for the first time and your puny soul arrow spells all sail over the heads of the lavadogs.)

Sullichin

Yeah.. you're going the wrong way. The skeleton area is for much later. :p

tehfryguy

Hey guys, I've got another question.

I want to do the siegmeier events, but I'm in the last area.

He's also just sitting on a ledge currently in sens fortress. I only talked to him before the fortress opened. Now when I press x to talk to him nothing happens.

Do I have to wait until next play through to do his events?

Shito

Pure sorceror is easy mode. (Except when you go into Blighttown for the first time and your puny soul arrow spells all sail over the heads of the lavadogs.)
Nah, pyro is.
If you want to play a pure sorcerer (putting all your points into INT) you'll end up a glass canon character, with zero defense / vitality / endurance, which can make some areas of the game reaaaally difficult. It then basically comes down to "one shot or get one shotted".
Pyro doesn't care because he just needs to upgrade his glove, and can then spend all his points into helpful stats, like END and VIT.

Ok seriously. Fuck Anor Londo, fuck those 2 giant knights, the 5 goddamn pink gargoyles and those goddamn archers from nowhere.

I'm level 56ish, have the Nazgul-looking armor with a Raw+2 Iaito and Lightning spear. Sigh.

Yeah, I really neglected weapon development.

Do you think I should just power through where I am now and get to AL's blacksmith, or head back to Andrei through the Sen's shortcut and jack up my weapons (I'm sitting on a decent amount of titanite.)?

Using a +2 Black Knight shield. I've read a lot about jacking up the Eagle Shield. Maybe I go that route?

mxgt

Banned
Eagle shield is solid. Has good stability when upgraded and doesn't weigh much at all.

It can't parry, though.

Sullichin

Yeah, I really neglected weapon development.

Do you think I should just power through where I am now and get to AL's blacksmith, or head back to Andrei through the Sen's shortcut and jack up my weapons (I'm sitting on a decent amount of titanite.)?

Using a +2 Black Knight shield. I've read a lot about jacking up the Eagle Shield. Maybe I go that route?

black knight shield is actually really good. i didn't get it until later in the game but it's what I stuck with. Eagle Shield is good too. AL's blacksmith lets you make lightning weapons which is probably the best route to go. You made your Iaito Raw, which means it has stronger scaling with STR. But it's useless compared to if you downgraded that to an Iaito +5 and made that a lightning Iaito. Stat scaling unfortunately doesn't yield results as good as lightning or fire weapons (and lightning is the easier to make/upgrade fully of those two)

black knight shield is actually really good. i didn't get it until later in the game but it's what I stuck with. Eagle Shield is good too. AL's blacksmith lets you make lightning weapons which is probably the best route to go. You made your Iaito Raw, which means it has stronger scaling with STR. But it's useless compared to if you downgraded that to an Iaito +5 and made that a lightning Iaito. Stat scaling unfortunately doesn't yield results as good as lightning or fire weapons (and lightning is the easier to make/upgrade fully of those two)

Great, thanks. I've read a ton of wikis, but weapon scaling has really been confusing for the most part.

Good to know re: raw Iaito. My STR is around 25 so maybe I'll stick with that till I fight through to the Anor Londo blacksmith. I've got a curved sword and Quelaag's soul so maybe I'll go after building her greatsword.

Dresden

Great, thanks. I've read a ton of wikis, but weapon scaling has really been confusing for the most part.

Good to know re: raw Iaito. My STR is around 25 so maybe I'll stick with that till I fight through to the Anor Londo blacksmith. I've got a curved sword and Quelaag's soul so maybe I'll go after building her greatsword.

Curved weapons like Quelaag's Fury or Iaito scales much better off Dexterity. Your strength is really high - but that does allow the use of something like the Murakumo or the Gravelord Sword (which is really easy to get).

The thing about lightning weapons is that their damage is split, so they have to punch through two resistances for total damage dealt. A +15 physical weapon with 40+ in dex or str, combined with resins and/or magic enchants, is the best option for pure damage.

Sullichin

Curved weapons like Quelaag's Fury or Iaito scales much better off Dexterity. Your strength is really high - but that does allow the use of something like the Murakumo or the Gravelord Sword (which is really easy to get).

The thing about lightning weapons is that their damage is split, so they have to punch through two resistances for total damage dealt. A +15 physical weapon with 40+ in dex or str, combined with resins and/or magic enchants, is the best option for pure damage.

Eh yeah but a +15 weapon requires you to have the large ember, the very large ember, more upgrade materials, and put tons of levels into STR or DEX before you see damage comprable to a lightning weapon. And then to buff you need to buy spells or resins which only last for a minute.

A lightning weapon is the easiest way to get a massive damage boost. Especially if he's starting from a +2 Raw Iiato. +15/buffs/40STR or DEX is probably always better, but it takes forever to get to that point. I was pretty disappointed that at the end of my first playthrough, my lightning scythe +5 was still by far my most damaging weapon, and I spent way longer upgrading a couple of other ones. Not just going by AR either.

Oh fuck, i am so rusty. So fuckin rusty... I didn't get the humanity system at all when i started playing. I thought it was like Demon's Souls, now i am fucked up. I killed
Taurus Demon
, didn't see
Capra Demon
at all, passed through the Undead Parish and now i can't kill
Belfry Gargoyles
. I am so fucked up... Even summoning Lautrec didn't help me. For some reason i never been able to summon Solaire of Astora. Now i am out of humanities. I even killed
Petrus
in hope of finding humanity (got 2 humanities, fell once and lost it, lost the other one when i fought with the boss).

I was good at Demon's Souls, i just wanted to explore this one without guides or anything. I seriously fucked up. I will start over i think. One question, is there a weapon which is like crescent falchion like we find in 4-1 in Demon's Souls? I mean a good, quick weapon which i can find early in the game. Sorry for the long post GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom