• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curved weapons like Quelaag's Fury or Iaito scales much better off Dexterity. Your strength is really high - but that does allow the use of something like the Murakumo or the Gravelord Sword (which is really easy to get).

The thing about lightning weapons is that their damage is split, so they have to punch through two resistances for total damage dealt. A +15 physical weapon with 40+ in dex or str, combined with resins and/or magic enchants, is the best option for pure damage.

I leveled DEX a lot too (in the low 20's). Was that sort of pointless? Or can I jut take advantage of 2 types of scaling now?

EasyMode

Lol, i was thinking of getting it, i rushed through the bridge to get it to get the claymore (i think) because i read it here. The fucking dragon is gone now.

You might be able to lure the dragon back if you go all the way to the other end of the bridge. It's happened for me, but I'm not sure if he comes back every time.

Dresden

I leveled DEX a lot too (in the low 20's). Was that sort of pointless? Or can I jut take advantage of 2 types of scaling now?

It'd require a weapon that scales well of both. If you don't mind greatswords I do recommend using a Murakumo or the Gravelord Sword, though. The latter just requires you to get to a certain area in Catacombs.

The thing about lightning weapons is that they don't scale at all, so base requirements are all you need. Powerful, sure.

Sayah

Damn gargoyles, ugh.........I've been trying to get rid of them for two hours now. :/
Any tips? I'm using the Halberd.

EasyMode

Damn gargoyles, ugh.........I've been trying to get rid of them for two hours now. :/
Any tips? I'm using the Halberd.

Have any Gold Pine Resin? It adds lightning damage to your weapon. There's a chest in Undead Burg with 3 of them. Add that to your item equip slots and use it just before the boss fight.

Sayah

Have any Gold Pine Resin? It adds lightning damage to your weapon. There's a chest in Undead Burg with 3 of them. Add that to your item equip slots and use it just before the boss fight.

Hmm.....I do have that. Thanks. Will try that out now.

Broseybrose

Check out this red phantom Giant Black Knight that decided to show up in my Anor Londo! Has anyone seen this?

ibXrhPYoEhRAH.jpg

Aw shit, he vanished while i was posting this... This game!

Sullichin

Someone was Gravelording.

I've never had to fight any of these crazy phantom enemies. :( Is this covenant still semi-broken? I've seen the gravelord disasters message though. Idk maybe I've seen phantom black knights before? In someone else's game?

I beat Demons Souls recently and the online was more active than this game, I was pretty surprised/disappointed that Dark Souls could have been this busy. Although it's much better than it was pre-1.05. And is it just me or does weapon stat scaling work better in Demon's as well? Although the actual upgrade system is just as convoluted if not more so. There's really some room for improvement there, at least in terms of explanation. Still think Dark Souls is the better game. It's probably harder too.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm near the end now and I think I've decided that this is legitimately one of the best games I've ever played. One of the devs must've sold their soul to the devil somewhere along the line.

Wallachia

Well hello everyone. I just finished getting my Platinum trophy in Demon's Souls in 11 days and I'm ready to start Dark Souls. Gonna make a Pyromancer.

Given the patch and how much less Demons Soulsey it makes this game, you'll have a better time as Wanderer or the like.

EasyMode

I beat Demons Souls recently and the online was more active than this game, I was pretty surprised/disappointed that Dark Souls could have been this busy. Although it's much better than it was pre-1.05.
They really should have went with servers for Dark Souls. I wonder if P2P online was Namco's idea...

And is it just me or does weapon stat scaling work better in Demon's as well?
Not just you. I also thought it worked better in Demon's. Although the upgrade system is better in Dark.

You might be able to lure the dragon back if you go all the way to the other end of the bridge. It's happened for me, but I'm not sure if he comes back every time.

Yes, dragon comes back everytime (It went a few times and everytime it came back). Thanks for the info. It was just my stupidity hanging around with a short sword. Lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Beat it. Just a shade under 57 hours. I'm not sure how much I like the open world, but the bonfire checkpointing made it somewhat easier than Demon's. But with the hub design of Demon's, it was easier to pace yourself in beating certain levels. After I was able to warp, the game shines.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Say, how do i get to Vamos the blacksmith? I'm in the wheel skeleton big room before the boss and I go down this side passage and I can hear the blacksmith ringing but there's a brickwall at the end I cant bust down to get there?

John Harker

sorry, one last quick question. I just got Chaos Convenant to +2 so I could unlock the Lost Isalith shortcut. However, I did not unlock the door or anything.

If I now join the Nito convenant, so I LOSE the shortcut?
I don't really want to spend the time to grind back up for all that humanity to re-level it up.
I understand I lose the +2 on Chaos, but does the rewards sick?

Shito

Given the patch and how much less Demons Soulsey it makes this game, you'll have a better time as Wanderer or the like.
Nah, I did my first run as a wanderer on the initial version, and restarted a pyro from scratch on 1.05: pyro, even nerfed, is still god-tier.
Combustion is a lifesaver, it's not even funny; it can get you out of soooo many difficult fights for free... once you can use 32 combustions you're pretty much golden up to Anor Londo's end.

But yeah, it's not like you can't start as a wanderer and get the pyro glove afterwards, but I think for a first run the pyro glove can really help you a lot at the beginning of the game. Much more than what the wanderer starts with. Plus, pyro starts at SL1, which means cheap levels at first.

[EDIT]
John Harker, the shortcut is not where you probably think it is. It is *not* the door next to the covenant, but a door up ahead in Demons Ruins.

John Harker

[EDIT]
John Harker, the shortcut is not where you probably think it is. It is *not* the door next to the covenant, but a door up ahead in Demons Ruins.

Hmm. I haven't done Demons Ruins yet, came to Catacombs first.
i joined Nito to get the sword, did I just screw myself on that door being unlockable?

Shito

Not screwed, but if you were Chaos covenant +2 it has dropped you to +1, so you'll have to level-up again the covenant.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey does anyone here watch Epicnamebro's dark souls video on youtube? I always watch his walkthrough after I beat an area, and I love them. they are so useful and put a lot of SENSE into this game, since nothing is ever explained

Drake Sword is pretty good in the beginning of the game.

pretty good lol

Insaniac

a lot of people use the claymore, it has worse damage then most of the other great swords doesn't it? The bastard sword I bought from Andre was superior in damage to the claymore regardless of the similar paths I upgraded them in (IE my +15 Divine Bastard Sword had more damage than my +5 Occult Claymore at 55 faith)

John Harker

Woa. Every boss - hell, almost every enemy type - has given me trouble in this game. I usually need to die a few times before I figure out their strategy. Pinwheel? I just walk in, run at him, hit him maybe 6 times, and he dies. Damn that was disappointing! He barely moved. What an easy boss.

chunk3rvd

Sort of asked this before but I think I worded myself wrong - where is the most common summon spot for Four Kings? Wouldn't mind having a crack at them in someone else's game before I take them on myself so I can get a feel for the fight

Also, I keep hearing that armor with high poise is good for this fight. I only have 15 END right now so I've been using Havel's ring, Dark Wood ring and full Elite Knight +9 which still lets me ninja flip. My build will eventually be taking END to 40 so what would be the best armour to upgrade for this fight that I could also be using in the future?

sixghost

Woa. Every boss - hell, almost every enemy type - has given me trouble in this game. I usually need to die a few times before I figure out their strategy. Pinwheel? I just walk in, run at him, hit him maybe 6 times, and he dies. Damn that was disappointing! He barely moved. What an easy boss.

Yeah :(

It's a shame, I went down there at around SL20 and fought him, and it was a really cool fight.

Once he starts to clone himself, it starts to get really hectic.

Sayah

Is it still possible to obtain the Drake sword through arrows even though I've already got the latest patch installed? What if I use large arrows instead of standard arrows?

Dresden

Sort of asked this before but I think I worded myself wrong - where is the most common summon spot for Four Kings? Wouldn't mind having a crack at them in someone else's game before I take them on myself so I can get a feel for the fight

Also, I keep hearing that armor with high poise is good for this fight. I only have 15 END right now so I've been using Havel's ring, Dark Wood ring and full Elite Knight +9 which still lets me ninja flip. My build will eventually be taking END to 40 so what would be the best armour to upgrade for this fight that I could also be using in the future?

Assuming you're in your first game, dodging isn't that important for the fight. Just wear your toughest, heaviest armor - Havel, Smough, or Stone Guard - and go to town. The poise is basically so you don't get owned by their swipes and that you can flask up when needed. Keep a shield on your back and whip it out when they launch the homing spell at you.

If you're going to pvp though, Stone Guard is the best armor period.

Jira

Well I decided to remake as a Knight, encountered the dude down the steps and he proceeded to whoop my ass. I was looking around and saw loot on a corpse so I dropped down and it was at the tunnel with big bad armor guy. I parried/riposted him 6 times for the kill. WAS AWESOME!

malfcn

Crystal Halberd any good? What's the good and bad with crystal weapons? And was causes loss in durability? Uses or deaths?

Holy shit, I just saw a video that said there is another hidden wall int he tree in Blight?

mxgt

Banned
Crystal Halberd any good? What's the good and bad with crystal weapons? And was causes loss in durability? Uses or deaths?

Holy shit, I just saw a video that said there is another hidden wall int he tree in Blight?

Honestly I don't like Crystal weapons at all. Way too little dura and unrepairable just don't make them worth it in my eyes. They look cool though!

And yes there's two hidden walls in the big tree on the far left in the swamp that leads to the Great Hollow and then Ash Lake. There isn't much down there though besides a Hydra and the Drakonoid covenant.

There are a lot of Crystal Lizards roaming in the Hollow (10, I think?) but they are extremely awkward to get to appear but I have gotten 2 titanite slabs from them, so it's worth the patience

Jira

Awesome, killed the first minotaur boss on my 3rd try, became easy once my guard break/stam was high enough to take the hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom