• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

I was able to find all the souls in Sen's (that I could see) except for one. Worth stressing over?

To lay messages you have to get the soapstone from a vendor in the Burg, I think.

Took me awhile to find the path in Anor to get into the church. Never thought of the spanning arches.

Damn. Was standing around idle and got invaded. Damnit.

Jira

Really didn't expect to get invaded so soon nor against someone who clearly had far far more gear than I did, yet I nearly killed him and would have if it wasn't for that final fireball he did.

Shito

a lot of people use the claymore, it has worse damage then most of the other great swords doesn't it?
Yes it does, but contrary to all the other great swords the claymore has this inestimable strong lunge attack.

Sort of asked this before but I think I worded myself wrong - where is the most common summon spot for Four Kings? Wouldn't mind having a crack at them in someone else's game before I take them on myself so I can get a feel for the fight
Had great luck yesterday laying down my sign just in front of the door.
I don't why, but I love helping with this fight.

Ill Saint

OH THANK GOD! That was SO damn infuriating, like catching a mouse with your bare hands.

Just to be clear, they do run away and eventually disappear if you don't hit them. If that happens, just reload your game and they will respawn. But unlike in DeS, they will not disappear forever if you miss them x amount of times. Much less frustrating this time around.

Phandy

How do people decide what weapons to use and then what to upgrade to? I really can decide what to use.
I have a rapier+5 i used early on because I liked it a lot. Now I'm using either a Halberd+5 or Iota+5.
But I've just met the requirements for my Black Knight Sword which seems really good. I also just beat Queelag which I understand you can make a good sword with her soul.

I cant decide which weapons I should use, which is also tied to what I should upgrade? I dont want to waste any materials upgrading a weapon that wont be useful to me for a while.

Any ideas?

How do people decide what weapons to use and then what to upgrade to? I really can decide what to use.
I have a rapier+5 i used early on because I liked it a lot. Now I'm using either a Halberd+5 or Iota+5.
But I've just met the requirements for my Black Knight Sword which seems really good. I also just beat Queelag which I understand you can make a good sword with her soul.

I cant decide which weapons I should use, which is also tied to what I should upgrade? I dont want to waste any materials upgrading a weapon that wont be useful to me for a while.

Any ideas?

It was easy for me, I wanted a BIG sword, so I asked about and found out the Claymore is a really good choice and available very early in the game. I've upgraded it to Lightning +4 now, just need a Titanite Slab to make it +5. 100hrs into the game now and I am still using it, it's awesome.

I do have a sword forged from Quelaags Soul though, they Fury Blade, it's really good and looks stunning :)

Where did you find the Black Knight sword so early in the game? Don't think I have one. I have a Silver Knight sword, that's really good.

mxgt

Banned

Any ideas?

Honestly the best advice I can give is to just experiment and find what works for you, you're not really limited by upgrade items outside of Titanite Slabs

What kind of character are you going for?

Jira

The black knight in the cathedral owwwwww it hurts. I need to raise my endurance, I can't roll in this heavy ass armor.

Phandy

Where did you find the Black Knight sword so early in the game? Don't think I have one. I have a Silver Knight sword, that's really good.

It dropped off one of the black knights in undead parish. I think I was quite lucky to get it.

Honestly the best advice I can give is to just experiment and find what works for you, you're not really limited by upgrade items outside of Titanite Slabs

What kind of character are you going for?

Not sure really, I started out as a pyromancer and use that when I need to. Ive leveled up pyromancy a bit. But I recently learned that I dont need intelligence for pyromancy. So Im going for vit/end/str/dex as my main stats.
The only requirement I have is that I'm under 50% load so i can still roll properly. I'm quite tanky and melee based. But I like being mobile. Thats why Im leaning away from using the big 2 handed weapons. I have enjoyed the halberd though, having that extra range is ace.

chunk3rvd

Had great luck yesterday laying down my sign just in front of the door.
I don't why, but I love helping with this fight.

Well that was a good introduction to the Four Kings! I waited a while to get summoned by someone - I'm guessing because I'm only SL34

Got summoned eventually and we headed down with Beatrice. I didn't change into Havel's like people suggested so I was just using full Elite Knight +9 and a Silver Knight Shield +5. Ran up to the first king and he swiped at me twice. The first drained all my stamina and did a little damage and the 2nd killed me outright. The summoner also died in this 5 second fight as well :/

Am I going to struggle with the boss at this level? I only have 15 VIT and 15 END

Sullichin

Well that was a good introduction to the Four Kings! I waited a while to get summoned by someone - I'm guessing because I'm only SL34

Got summoned eventually and we headed down with Beatrice. I didn't change into Havel's like people suggested so I was just using full Elite Knight +9 and a Silver Knight Shield +5. Ran up to the first king and he swiped at me twice. The first drained all my stamina and did a little damage and the 2nd killed me outright. The summoner also died in this 5 second fight as well :/

Am I going to struggle with the boss at this level? I only have 15 VIT and 15 END

That's why you'll be better off with something like Havel's. Even if you're slow as hell with it on. Their melee doesn't track that well, so you can kind of just move behind them, or if you have high poise, take the hit while attacking. Unless you're really good at dodging, at lvl 34 i'd put on the heavy stuff, maybe 2H your best weapon with grass crest shield on your back.

krakov

You could try using Iron Flesh, still helps quite a bit. Unfortunately it's a bit random and sometimes they will just continue to bust out powerful attacks while sometimes they will just stand around and die.

mxgt

Banned

Yeah you're gonna want to raise vit and end a bit eventually. 34 is blighttown/sen's SL range for a first play through

chunk3rvd

That's why you'll be better off with something like Havel's. Even if you're slow as hell with it on. Their melee doesn't track that well, so you can kind of just move behind them, or if you have high poise, take the hit while attacking. Unless you're really good at dodging, at lvl 34 i'd put on the heavy stuff, maybe 2H your best weapon with grass crest shield on your back.

That worked like a charm! Just helped someone else defeat them and I'm going to have a crack myself now

EasyMode

Is it still possible to obtain the Drake sword through arrows even though I've already got the latest patch installed? What if I use large arrows instead of standard arrows?

Yeah, the patch didn't change that. Large arrows work, but standard ones are cheaper. I think it takes around 18-20 standard arrows to get the sword.

Check out this red phantom Giant Black Knight that decided to show up in my Anor Londo! Has anyone seen this?

ibXrhPYoEhRAH.jpg

Aw shit, he vanished while i was posting this... This game!

Gravelord servant was cursing your game with disasters. He would have had a gravelord soapstone sign down somewhere, and you could invade him.

You can also try a regular Darkmoon or Cracked Red Eye invasion and it would likely work as well.

shaneskim

An alternative spot is the bit between the lift and the first bridge. Most of the times I've been summoned for this fight, the summoner has already drained new londo and it's just a case of using the shortcut to the boss. Unfortunately, I found that the room with the darkwraiths is a popular invasion spot!

Damn, bed of chaos is terrible. Fun factor is in the negatives for that boss.

So, any suggestions for stuff I should do before NG+? Any suggestions for half-decent armor or weapons would be cool. I've already started killing off NPCs for their items and such too.

mxgt

Banned
Damn, bed of chaos is terrible. Fun factor is in the negatives for that boss.

So, any suggestions for stuff I should do before NG+? Any suggestions for half-decent armor or weapons would be cool. I've already started killing off NPCs for their items and such too.

Kindle bonfires to +20 if you haven't already

Shito

Yeah, you're really low level for this fight, that's why you don't get too many hits.
I'm currently SL81, so I get both players finishing their first run and NG+ players wanted to get Darkwraith covenant early on.

How did it went for you?
Did you try managed to beat them? ^^

chunk3rvd

Yeah, I tore through them first time with Beatrice in my game. Just wore full Havel's, Grass Crest on my back then went to town with my Lightning Iato +5 and chugged Estus when I needed to

Just messing round with the Darkwraith covenant now. The Chameleon spell can make for some funny invasion moments!

One suggestion I would give is for people to maximize invasions is to join the Darkwraith covenant, buy 99 Cracked red eye orbs, and stuff those into your bottomless box. Buy another 99, and then join the Darkmoon Covenant. That way, if you search for Guilty and come up empty, you can try the cracked Red Eyes.

If that fails, you can put on the Darkmoon seance ring and invade in Anor Londo from anywhere. If all that fails, don't kill Sif (You'd be in NG+ at that point anyway) and stand in the forest while human.

I'm trying to open up as many areas as possible without killing bosses on NG++. You can keep the entire Undead Burg open to getting invaded by not killing the Taurus Demon on the bridge. With the master key, kill Havel and go around the back-way to the Undead Parish Church and hit the elevator to Firelink. This leaves Darkroot Basin, Darkroot Forest, Undead Parish, Church, Upper Burg, and the Lower Burg open for getting invaded!

Does anyone know if both bells of awakening need to be rung in order to open up Sens? It always triggered for me after ringing Queelags bell, but I've never skipped the Gargoyle bell before.

mxgt

Banned
Getting Soul Spear, Homing Soul Mass and the Great Soul Arrow spells at a low SL is quite overpowered. Destroy everything in PvE but I'm basically a glass cannon in PvP on this char.

Jira

If a friend wanted to summon me, I've read that you can just drop the stone over and over until it lands on his server. Is that correct?

oh man beating ornstein and smough felt good. they and sif have been the bosses that have given me the most trouble so far.
and for o&s killing the first (ornstein for me) was much tougher than killing the second (electric smough).

oh man beating ornstein and smough felt good. they and sif have been the bosses that have given me the most trouble so far.
and for o&s killing the first (ornstein for me) was much tougher than killing the second (electric smough).

Most people find Ornstein harder to kill second, especially for melee characters. He's pretty easy to cheese with crossbows, through.

If a friend wanted to summon me, I've read that you can just drop the stone over and over until it lands on his server. Is that correct?

I think there is only one server, and anyone within a specified SL can be matched together. There are SL restrictions on invasions and summoning.

The only explanation I can think of. I've been matched with with people from Korea to Finland.

Edit: If you want to play with a friend, make sure you guys stay within close SL range.

Any ideas?

Lightning Iaito got me through pretty much everything once I got to Anor Londo. Damn fine weapon, quick attacks, low weight. Uchigatana will also do if you don't want to put extra points in DEX.

2AdEPT

you re correct,this works but takes time and coordination... I have spent hours just trying to get a 10 minutes fight in with friends and it works but was difficult to coordinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom