• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I really wish From Software didn't screw up party chat support on 360. My friend and I have been using Skype and talking on our phones every time we play co-op. It's sad.....

Regarding Leeroy and Tomb of Giants..

If anyone was still a little unsure (I asked a couple of days ago, I hadn't placed the Lord Vessel at the time), I just got to where the orange/red fog door used to be and he appeared at the end of the path. So, definitely linked to Lord Vessel :)

I killed him and got Humanity and two pieces of equipment.

Cheers for the info previously.

Also, I got invaded and fucked the first time I tried it tonight, like someone said on here I probably would :)

Man I really wish From Software didn't screw up party chat support on 360. My friend and I have been using Skype and talking on our phones every time we play co-op. It's sad.....

360 chat is not screwed up at all.

Party Chat (1 to Many) is disabled, but Private Chat (1 to 1) works fine. This is how you coordinate with the random people you meet. Invite to Chat, not Invite to Party.

Although, if you have the Channelers Trident, you can party a little bit.

nilbog21

Banned
I got the invader ring from the forest Cat (right before Sif), and how come everytime I invade someone I am always 2v1. Both seem to be human as they taunt after i am dead..

I got the invader ring from the forest Cat (right before Sif), and how come everytime I invade someone I am always 2v1. Both seem to be human as they taunt after i am dead..

If you're wearing the Cat Covenant Ring then you're engaging in some serious PvP. There's no limit between levels of the invader and player in the forest (there is when you invade with an Orb though) so you could be taking on guys who are probably 5 times your level or more (who usually have a phantom or 2 on backup).

krakov

I don't care if they are way above my level, I Just want to fight them 1v1... it's always 2v1 though so annoying

If you wait around for a while you'll usually get reinforcements as well, and sometimes there are just regular dudes in the forest. Most of the people you meet are just there farming invaders with a friend.

Zaptruder

Banned
I don't care if they are way above my level, I Just want to fight them 1v1... it's always 2v1 though so annoying

The trick to forest PVP is to use the terrain and mobs and running away to your advantage. And for the love of god, do not give them an inch. They'll take a mile. Use your best equipment, spells, tactics, strategy.

Nearly everytime I've been beaten, it's because I've gone... I'll play with them, or I'll go easy, they look like they've been having a hard time.

There's not much of a reason to be travelling through the forest as a human either, so for the most part people you're fighting are assholes that choose to farm blue phantoms, because of their famously weak reputation.

MrWisker

There's not much of a reason to be travelling through the forest as a human either, so for the most part people you're fighting are assholes that choose to farm blue phantoms, because of their famously weak reputation.

What do you mean there is not much reason for going through the forest in human form? I would say there is just as much reason to be human in the forest as there are in any other part of the game. I spent an hour or more last night fending off forest invaders just trying to get a couple of summons to go and battle the boss.

Styles

I got stabbed in the back unknowingly last night while in a co-op session. The invader banner came up only after I had been killed... So shitty.

Dresden

It's PvP in its most pure form because of the combat system, my heart has raced faster in my 2 PvP encounters than any PvP I've done in any MMO.

PVP is fun and fine until you get curbstomped by people lagstabbing you to death or you get blown up by someone with 12 Wrath of the Gods charges.

At least it's not as bad as running firestorms.

nilbog21

Banned
If you wait around for a while you'll usually get reinforcements as well, and sometimes there are just regular dudes in the forest. Most of the people you meet are just there farming invaders with a friend.

weird and cool, how do you farm invaders with friends?

malfcn

Fuck these two snipers in Anor. I can't run up this path without getting nailed by them. And apparently wearing the shield on your back doesn't block anything.

To make it worse. I get to the top now, and the game is taunting me. It's a black knight? I can't do anything to him, he is standing on the ledge on this toes and won't fall. Then whenever I die, he just jumps off killing himself.

Jira

So I happened to make my way to the butterfly boss...lol I don't have the spell resist gear for that and at no point did I see how I could hit it as melee. Well, back to the bell gargoyle.

Booshka

I think putting your stone down repeatedly accomplishes jack shit.

It definitely makes a difference, if you wait about 20-30 seconds for your friend to see it, then refresh, eventually they will see it. Sometimes you just can't connect to other players though, NAT issues or other reasons, it's not just Dark Souls, that happens in all online games.

I've been helping people with some late game areas on a level 86 character. I wish it was leveled a little lower, but I get decent activity in 4 Kings and Duke's, haven't really tried the other two places. I use the DGM at +15 and still have flip rolls, so I destroy the bosses every time.

nilbog21

Banned
I'm having trouble finding shards to upgrade my weapons, although I have a bunch of titanite that I can't use (green, large, etc).. how do i get the titanite that upgrades weapons?

One suggestion I would give is for people to maximize invasions is to join the Darkwraith covenant, buy 99 Cracked red eye orbs, and stuff those into your bottomless box. Buy another 99, and then join the Darkmoon Covenant. That way, if you search for Guilty and come up empty, you can try the cracked Red Eyes.

If that fails, you can put on the Darkmoon seance ring and invade in Anor Londo from anywhere. If all that fails, don't kill Sif (You'd be in NG+ at that point anyway) and stand in the forest while human.

I'm trying to open up as many areas as possible without killing bosses on NG++. You can keep the entire Undead Burg open to getting invaded by not killing the Taurus Demon on the bridge. With the master key, kill Havel and go around the back-way to the Undead Parish Church and hit the elevator to Firelink. This leaves Darkroot Basin, Darkroot Forest, Undead Parish, Church, Upper Burg, and the Lower Burg open for getting invaded!

This post makes me want to start a new build. Thanks for making it.

Does anyone know if both bells of awakening need to be rung in order to open up Sens? It always triggered for me after ringing Queelags bell, but I've never skipped the Gargoyle bell before.

Good question.

malfcn

I regained humanity and now I can't rest at a bonfire to kindle it? Wtf? I can summon phantoms, which I don't want.

Fuck this game. I get invaded and lose all my shit because it won't let me rest to kindle.
40,000 souls, because this god damn game has a broken basic function. When I tried to summon they all fail, but no problem getting invaded.

edbrat

You could try using Iron Flesh, still helps quite a bit. Unfortunately it's a bit random and sometimes they will just continue to bust out powerful attacks while sometimes they will just stand around and die.

iron flesh with havels still works for this fight post-patch, marry it up with grass crest shield, two hand a lightning weapon and go to town. Shield up while approaching each king in case they bust out a magic attack. Get in right up close and go nuts, remember they still take damage even when dissolving once you've killed one and are waiting for the next. With ten estus you need no skill to win this fight using this method.

Or do it like that total ninja on youtube who beat them on level 1 in the nude.

Dresden

I regained humanity and now I can't rest at a bonfire to kindle it? Wtf? I can summon phantoms, which I don't want.

Fuck this game. I get invaded and lose all my shit because it won't let me rest to kindle.
40,000 souls, because this god damn game has a broken basic function. When I tried to summon they all fail, but no problem getting invaded.

lol

Also just pull the plug if you really want to avoid pvp.

mxgt

Banned

If you can't rest at a bonfire that's generally the sign that you're getting invaded.

Hah, just won my first 1v2 in Darkroot, got invaded by 2 forest hunter guys, was amazed when I nailed them both with homing soulmass seeing how easy it is to avoid and they both got destroyed

Oh my. I got to an area in Tomb of the Giants which has loads of Pinwheels and tiny little Skeletons that seem to respawn and spit out Humanity. I found a white slab too, awesome! :)

Soulhouf

Dark Souls remains a solo experience. Even when you play online with people, it's designed so that it feels solo.

I think we should make this into its own thread on the gaming side and send the ensuing 50+ pages to Bamco.

1 year old port at $60, only graphics option are choose your resolution and a brightness slider, always on DRM that bans you for 3 days when your internet has as much as a hiccup.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I got stabbed in the back unknowingly last night while in a co-op session. The invader banner came up only after I had been killed... So shitty.

This is a trick that's really popular in the Lower Undead Burg. Since the only invasion spot is also the place most people stand around in human form to summon help for Capra it's shockingly effective. When I was getting summoned for that fight I saw it happen probably a half-dozen times, with the host just falling over dead before the invader ever spawned. The first time I sort of half-admired the sheer mean-spirited audacity of it. The novelty wore off quickly.

Mutombo

I am about to start my dark soul adventure! Any hints or tips? I will probably only play through the game once, my first choice would be 'sorcerer' but any other tips about character or whatevs are welcome!

RyanDG

I think I've finally figured out my one main complaint with Dark Souls that is legitimately threatening my ability to play... The level structure in Demon's Souls made it incredibly easy to basically treat it as a pick up and play game at random times. I sunk more hours into Demon's Souls than I care to relate simply due to the fact that I was able to pop in, choose where I wanted to farm, and do some runs for a while (while also dropping PVP stones to fight against some random people). While the open world gameplay in Dark Souls is a lot more immersive for the world, it definitely doesn't have the same pick up and play style system - as even with the short cuts, you may find yourself having to take several minutes just to get to the place you want to be. Not a huge deal, but the simple fact that I know I have to track somewhere to do what I want to do in the game has started to limit my play time in Dark Souls. A bit of a shame (and it's not like I haven't gotten my money's worth since I think my play timer on all of my characters exceeds over 100 hours in Dark Souls right now), simply due to the fact that the game isn't going to have the same staying power in my Playstation as Demon's Souls did.

It's weird for me to be complaining about a shortened enjoyment time with a game that I have played over a hundred hours in during this generation though. Most games you are lucky with 20 hours before it reaches that stale point. Measured expectations, right?

Sullichin

I am about to start my dark soul adventure! Any hints or tips? I will probably only play through the game once, my first choice would be 'sorcerer' but any other tips about character or whatevs are welcome!

- Before you level up anything, look into it online. Don't blindly level up stuff; increasing strength doesn't always make your attack stronger, for example. Don't be afraid to use a wiki (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ or http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/) Not really as a walkthrough of the areas but just to help explain mechanics, upgrading, etc
- Find a safe spot and get used to moving around the menus. There's lots of detail screens that have important information, such as what stats a weapon scales with, etc. The interface isn't so great.
- Your stamina refills VERY slowly when your shield is up. You need stamina to block hits.
- Pick any class you want. Pyromancer is probably the easiest starting out, but new players will have a tough time regardless.
- After the tutorial area, if you find yourself fighting skeletons or ghosts, you're going the wrong way. As in, these are difficult areas that you'll want to save for later.
- You THINK you'll only play through it once...

I think I've finally figured out my one main complaint with Dark Souls that is legitimately threatening my ability to play... The level structure in Demon's Souls made it incredibly easy to basically treat it as a pick up and play game at random times. I sunk more hours into Demon's Souls than I care to relate simply due to the fact that I was able to pop in, choose where I wanted to farm, and do some runs for a while (while also dropping PVP stones to fight against some random people). While the open world gameplay in Dark Souls is a lot more immersive for the world, it definitely doesn't have the same pick up and play style system - as even with the short cuts, you may find yourself having to take several minutes just to get to the place you want to be. Not a huge deal, but the simple fact that I know I have to track somewhere to do what I want to do in the game has started to limit my play time in Dark Souls. A bit of a shame (and it's not like I haven't gotten my money's worth since I think my play timer on all of my characters exceeds over 100 hours in Dark Souls right now), simply due to the fact that the game isn't going to have the same staying power in my Playstation as Demon's Souls did.

It's weird for me to be complaining about a shortened enjoyment time with a game that I have played over a hundred hours in during this generation though. Most games you are lucky with 20 hours before it reaches that stale point. Measured expectations, right?
They really needed to put more warp points. There's only a few and three of them take you to the same damn place (and even there they left out the one bonfire most people probably want to get to).

They really needed to put more warp points. There's only a few and three of them take you to the same damn place (and even there they left out the one bonfire most people probably want to get to).

It's still a mystery why the Gravelord bonfire is warpble, I thought the Abyss was fairly useless as well until I realized later why it was possible to warp there.

shaneskim

I wish they had added a ladder after you beat Nito and also made it so you can warp to the Crystal caves to get twinkling titanite from the oyster enemies.

Sullichin

It's still a mystery why the Gravelord bonfire is warpble, I thought the Abyss was fairly useless as well until I realized later why it was possible to warp there.

It's just brutal that there's no warp point to Tomb of Giants, Dukes, or Lost Izalith. Especially Tomb of Giants. Once you get there you're pretty much stuck until you leave. And with Dukes, that bonfire before crystal caves is always so active online, I like getting summoned there but it's a pain to get back to.

Mutombo

- Before you level up anything, look into it online. Don't blindly level up stuff; increasing strength doesn't always make your attack stronger, for example. Don't be afraid to use a wiki (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ or http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/) Not really as a walkthrough of the areas but just to help explain mechanics, upgrading, etc
- Find a safe spot and get used to moving around the menus. There's lots of detail screens that have important information, such as what stats a weapon scales with, etc. The interface isn't so great.
- Your stamina refills VERY slowly when your shield is up. You need stamina to block hits.
- Pick any class you want. Pyromancer is probably the easiest starting out, but new players will have a tough time regardless.
- After the tutorial area, if you find yourself fighting skeletons or ghosts, you're going the wrong way. As in, these are difficult areas that you'll want to save for later.
- You THINK you'll only play through it once...

You mean, that asylum guard dragon wasn't a part of the turorial? or was it?

Beat it though. After dieing tons-a-deaths:) Or you mean after him?

At first I thought it was an easy way back to tomb of the giants. But then I realized there was no way back up and you're literally just stuck in the boss room. Truly bizarre. Would have made baby skeleton farming a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom