• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

Right now I am using the Silver Knight Sword. It seemed to be doing more damage than the Drake. Which should I upgrade? I don't understand the dmg outputs int he two columns. Base straight is 175+85 and Drake says 200+0. What is the +dmg mean?

Right now I am using the Silver Knight Sword. It seemed to be doing more damage than the Drake. Which should I upgrade? I don't understand the dmg outputs int he two columns. Base straight is 175+85 and Drake says 200+0. What is the +dmg mean?

The + is damage from scaling.

scosher

Drake Sword doesn't scale with stats at all so it gets +0 bonus damage. I forget the scaling on Silver Knight Sword, but the +85 is the bonus you get from your stats. Increasing the respective scaling stat will increase this bonus. Upgrading weapons usually increase the base damage mainly (but can also improve the scaling slightly)

The + is the added damage from the scaling on your stats. Dragon and Lightning weapons have no stat scaling so what you see is what you get in terms of base damage. Silver Knight Sword is great btw. It's one of my favorite weapons to use. It's pretty fast, does good damage, and can be enchanted with sorcery/miracles for really really good damage. I'd recommend upgrading it to the max +5 like I did if you have a decent DEX stat. Like you, by the time I got to Anor Londo, the Drake Sword was obsolete.

Numpt3

This.
Be warned, people, about THIS!

Yup, I'm on ng+ at the moment. Been giving it a break for a while whilst I finish some other games but I can hear it calling me, I've been watching youtube vids of it for most of the night, lol.

This game will grab you by the balls.

Did the latest patch adjust the L2 attack power of the Crystal Ring Shield? I was chatting to a friend at work today who said it's based on your right hand weapons power, and thus can be crazy powerful. I have made mine tonight and it's not very good at all. I am going 65 damage on the Anor Lando big guards, and 150 on the soldiers in the Parish.

My right hand weapon is a Lightning Claymore +4.

Any ideas if they have adjusted it?

malfcn

I build up some souls. I go around parrying and backstabbing everyone..nobody can tough me. Then boom, someone stuns me through a wall and I am dead. How long have I been getting killed by S&O now? I will do this!

chunk3rvd

What's the better bow to take to +14 for a DEX/INT build? Long or Composite? I remember Sticky Compound being the best in Demon's but looking at the stats it looks like the A scaling on the Long Bow would suit me better

Missed out on Pharis' bow this run when she backflipped off a cliff :/

Edit: what level are you at malfcn? Would be happy to come and try to help you out if I'm anywhere close. I'm SL34 at the moment

one85x

What's the better bow to take to +14 for a DEX/INT build? Long or Composite? I remember Sticky Compound being the best in Demon's but looking at the stats it looks like the A scaling on the Long Bow would suit me better

Edit: what level are you at malfcn? Would be happy to come and try to help you out if I'm anywhere close. I'm SL34 at the moment
Have you been back to the forest lately? A couple people have reported finding her loot despite killing her weeks earlier. edit: and by killing I mean her rolling off the cliff.

As for bows, I believe Composite is the strongest until you have a significant amount of dex, then Pharis takes over.

How does the Hornet Ring work? I noticed my attack animation changed several times against the forest protectors but I couldn't trigger it on anyone else (tried on regular undeads and silver knights).

Sullichin

What is still broken is the Moonlight Greatsword. :p Such a beast with an int build.

I just beat the game with a sorcerer and never even got this weapon and an INT build is pretty easy. Gwyn went down with 3 homing crystal soulmasses and a little tickle with my sword. Stray Demon was also a joke. I definitely prefer melee over sorcery, more fun.

Still haven't done a faith build, used bows, or used the really STR heavy weapons like Burger King Greataxe. Am I really convincing myself to play through this again

chunk3rvd

Have you been back to the forest lately? A couple people have reported finding her loot despite killing her weeks earlier. edit: and by killing I mean her rolling off the cliff.

As for bows, I believe Composite is the strongest until you have a significant amount of dex, then Pharis takes over.

I'll pop back now and have a look but I'm in human form so I'll probably be in for a ton of hassle!

For the guy on the last page who said he missed one item in Sen's - was it this in the top right?

3MWLk.jpg

It's the only thing I've missed in the game so far and I don't have a clue how to get to it. It's probably not even a good item but it drives me nuts as every time I enter the fortress it's just sitting up there taunting me!

malfcn

Finally beat them.

I think it may be that one. It's been awhile since I was there. I got one that you had to fall through a hole.

What are the 1 and 2 weapons. Left or right?

chunk3rvd

Started walking through the forest and spied an orange glow in the distance! Pharis' bow is mine :)

It was literally months ago when I killed her (like a week after launch) and I've spent ages in the forest since then, doing the whole covenant thing for the fog ring. Must be something to do with 1.05. Thanks anyway!

malfcn

Nope on the missing souls. The one I missed is immediately left of when you enter that area with the blades and lightning casting mob.

Sullichin

I'll pop back now and have a look but I'm in human form so I'll probably be in for a ton of hassle!

For the guy on the last page who said he missed one item in Sen's - was it this in the top right?

3MWLk.jpg

It's the only thing I've missed in the game so far and I don't have a clue how to get to it. It's probably not even a good item but it drives me nuts as every time I enter the fortress it's just sitting up there taunting me!

I might be wrong but I THINK that's the slumbering dragoncrest ring (stops you from making any sound). You can drop down to that area from above.

Ornstein's set or Domhnall's set?

You mean Smough's right? Smough's is much better since it has the highest defense in the game. Unfortunately you have to look like a complete dumbass wearing it.

I don't think there is anything special about Ornsteins. Just a pretty good medium weight armor.

Sullichin

Ornstein's set or Domhnall's set?

You mean Smough's right? Smough's is much better since it has the highest defense in the game. Unfortunately you have to look like a complete dumbass wearing it.

I don't think there is anything special about Ornsteins. Just a pretty good medium weight armor.

I definitely prefer Ornstein's. It's not too heavy, has good enough defense and poise for most situations, and looks awesome. I like Domhall's set too, esp armor of the glorious and the head piece

malfcn

Don't know why I did it, but got that Ulch katana and made it magic? Now it seems weak as heck. Why did I do that?

And I made it across the Burg bridge in Ornstein's. Now the Dragon is got?

Sullichin

Don't know why I did it, but got that Ulch katana and made it magic? Now it seems weak as heck. Why did I do that?

And I made it across the Burg bridge in Ornstein's. Now the Dragon is got?

it has magic damage that damage scales with INT now. If you don't want that, you can revert it to uchigatana +5 at a blacksmith. The dragon will fly back eventually

Pharis is stronger than Darkmoon Bow at +15 with 50 dex but the rate of fire is slower.

Dresden

Better range, iirc. Pharis with feather arrows and the Hawk Ring lets you snipe shit from miles away. Toss in the ring of fog and they really can't strike back.

Enchanted Pharis with moonlight arrows are apparently very good.

For +15 Pharis somewhere around 40 dex and a bit of strength is where it takes over from Composite. <- personal experience

malfcn

it has magic damage that damage scales with INT now. If you don't want that, you can revert it to uchigatana +5 at a blacksmith. The dragon will fly back eventually

Cool. I mostly rock the Silver Sword anyways. Waste of a few souls and titanite to make it magic. I have no int, so it did nothing.

Jintor

Is Dark Souls the kind of game where you need to spec your character build right from the get-go? Because I've just been throwing points randomly into wherever I thought they'd fit, and now I'm stuck at the Undead Parish trying to beat the shit out of Gargoyles who kick my ass immediately, and every other path is blocked by something just as douchey.

Soulhouf

There are 2 elements to be taken into consideration when you choose your bow:
- output damage
- range: this is very important, damage is attenuated with distance. So when the enemy is far from you the difference is really significant. The more range your bow has, the less the damage is attenuated for a given distance.

Besides the dragon slayer bow, the composite bow has the best output base damage but it has a shitty range so ignore it, it's not worth it.
The Long Bow's scaling change from A to S beyond +10. It has a shorter range than Pharis's but it's fine.
I upgraded almost all the bows to maximum so I can compare them with my character (70 str, 50 dex) and the best normal bow in the game is Pharis's.

I hope this helps.

mxgt

Banned
This is bullshit, I killed the titanite demon in anor londo but he killed me at the same time and I don't get the demon titanite

I needed that to upgrade my weapon, god damnit

krakov

Is Dark Souls the kind of game where you need to spec your character build right from the get-go? Because I've just been throwing points randomly into wherever I thought they'd fit, and now I'm stuck at the Undead Parish trying to beat the shit out of Gargoyles who kick my ass immediately, and every other path is blocked by something just as douchey.

Nope, any build is fine really. Make sure to upgrade your weapons, shields and armor though.

Dresden

Only if you have some strict pvp build.

That said at a certain point you really do want to have some focus. Also, early on Endurance is KING.

And for the Gargoyles, use Gold Pine Resin or summon some help.

web01

Has anyone posted the news that Dark Souls could possibly come to PC to the main forum.
Someone should do it think the petion already has well over 30,000 speople which is very good for this type of thing.

Not at all. Actually you don't really need to level up much at all. Equipment and skill are the only important things. If you're not interested in magic, just focus on END and STR. Only level up VIT if you feel absolutely need extra health.

Right now I'm using Havel's full set including Dragon Tooth and it's got me through most of the game pretty easily. Is there any heavy weapon like the Tooth I could have at this point that is much better? It seems to wreck a lot of shit, R2 attack can stun even big enemies sometimes.

Right now I'm using Havel's full set including Dragon Tooth and it's got me through most of the game pretty easily. Is there any heavy weapon like the Tooth I could have at this point that is much better? It seems to wreck a lot of shit, R2 attack can stun even big enemies sometimes.

I have the Dragon Tooth but it is slow as hell. The Black Knight Greataxe is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom