• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm using Havel's full set including Dragon Tooth and it's got me through most of the game pretty easily. Is there any heavy weapon like the Tooth I could have at this point that is much better? It seems to wreck a lot of shit, R2 attack can stun even big enemies sometimes.

BK Greataxe

I also heard the Large Club is pretty good when you upgrade it.

J-Roderton

Making my way through the Tomb of Giants now. Lost 50k souls to some archer dudes that I can't see, haven't found the bonfire yet, and I don't have to skull lamp, so it's pitch black down here. Can't wait to kill the boss and get the hell out of there.

I'd still rather be here than Blighttown, though.

Took a 4 day break from this game. Scared to get back in against captain demon. Going to grind instead.

Btw... anyone else here DMC's menu selection sound when making selections in DS?

I'm doing a CMW PvP strength build at the moment and I'm aiming for the following stats with pyromancer:

SL-120
Vit-49
Att-12*
End-40
Str-40
Dex-10
Res-12*
Int-32
Fai-8*

I am trying to choose what sword I will be using for pvp now and it is between the Claymore and Man-serpent greatsword. I've been doing my research but still can't choose between the two.

From what I've read claymore has a better moveset due to its R2 attack being a thrust as well as slightly more range. The claymore is also slightly lighter and swings a little faster. However, the Man-serpent greatsword has slightly more dmg and better STR stat scaling.

I assumed that because I am mainly going str and not dex I would get more dmg with the serpent sword but some people are saying that my main dmg will come from the CMW bonus so the moveset is more important.

So my question is with my stats above what sword would be better for me to PvP with?

sixghost

Is Dark Souls the kind of game where you need to spec your character build right from the get-go? Because I've just been throwing points randomly into wherever I thought they'd fit, and now I'm stuck at the Undead Parish trying to beat the shit out of Gargoyles who kick my ass immediately, and every other path is blocked by something just as douchey.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the player is almost always the point of failure when you get stuck in these games. You'd have to really really screw up your character to find yourself in a point where your stat distribution is preventing you from progressing.(i.e. tons of points in resistance)

mxgt

Banned
Is there a high chance of getting invaded in the Tomb of Giants?

I haven't been invaded there yet, but you definitely can be.

I imagine it's not a very nice place to be invaded seeing as it's a massive pain in the ass without the added hassle of another player hunting you down

nilbog21

Banned
If I upgraded to the Raw Estoc, can I still upgrade to a divine estoc or whatever? how does that stuff work? Wish this game would explain shit o_O

one85x

If I upgraded to the Raw Estoc, can I still upgrade to a divine estoc or whatever? how does that stuff work? Wish this game would explain shit o_O
No, raw is it's own upgrade path. You'd be able to revert it from raw back to +5, but you'd lose the shards you used to upgrade it.

Sullichin

Killed 4K on my lvl15 run. Almost beat them on my first try. With havels set, it's not too bad of a fight at low levels. I thought i'd try out being an asshole low level darkwraith for the hell of it. Straight up demolishing players that can't possibly win isn't fair or fun. It is offset by the fact that there's sometimes phantoms who are often as powerful as me (this character was previously a sunbro), and the fact that there's no upper cap means that i sometimes invade the world of some level 3 million dude whose hosting PVP in the burg with a BK greataxe. I try to do creative things. Like I'll run around naked and poison cloud them when they get close. Or i'll be a silver knight, run up to them, drop humanity, and then set myself on fire in the lower undead burg. My biggest asshole move so far was when i invaded the world of two players who were clearly trading items. I ninja flipped in the middle, stole what I could, and promptly leapt off the ledge. I got 30 humanity from someone who was trying to give it to their friend. in some fucked up robin hood logic, I dropped them to another stranger that I invaded.

Now, the reason I'm doing this is because I've co-opped the first half of the game with this character so many times. I love the first half of the game and I'm just trying out new experiences. I definitely prefer being a sunbro, but bosses go down way too fast in the early parts. My best times as this character are co-opping sen's and anor londo, but those opportunities don't come too frequently.
Anyway, i want to go back to being a sunbro, but might make a higher level build out of this character and get back into darkwraithing down the line. Will Kaathe disappear if I rejoin sunlight covenant?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is Dark Souls the kind of game where you need to spec your character build right from the get-go? Because I've just been throwing points randomly into wherever I thought they'd fit, and now I'm stuck at the Undead Parish trying to beat the shit out of Gargoyles who kick my ass immediately, and every other path is blocked by something just as douchey.

Mind posting your stats? What equipment are you using?

i finished this fight for the first time a couple of days ago. my strategy:
killed ornstein, mostly by running backwards and occasionally using ranged pyromancies like fireball or fire orb. if you need a flask, get a column between you and the two of them and you should have time. once its you and smough i actually think the fight is easier. i would keep my distance but he telegraphs his attacks really badly, and the only real threat (assuming you have some awesome shield like the eagle shield) is the electric ass smash. but as long as you can survive that, you should have enough time to chug a flask after being hit by it.

one85x

Killed 4K on my lvl15 run. Almost beat them on my first try. With havels set, it's not too bad of a fight at low levels. Will Kaathe disappear if I rejoin sunlight covenant?
Na, he doesn't seem to care what covenant you're in. Also, you should try dodging the FK's attacks. They're actually laughably easy to dodge, and you come out of the battle feeling like much more of a badass, especially if it's a flawless victory.

i finished this fight for the first time a couple of days ago. my strategy:
killed ornstein, mostly by running backwards and occasionally using ranged pyromancies like fireball or fire orb. if you need a flask, get a column between you and the two of them and you should have time. once its you and smough i actually think the fight is easier. i would keep my distance but he telegraphs his attacks really badly, and the only real threat (assuming you have some awesome shield like the eagle shield) is the electric ass smash. but as long as you can survive that, you should have enough time to chug a flask after being hit by it.

Yep, thanks for this too.
I've gotten it down to just Smough. A big thing for me (and I assume others) is staying patient, particularly in this fight, and picking where you can get your hits in on Ornstein. The second you get greedy, it's all over.

I must say, it's been a while since a boss fight in a game had my hands sweaty and shaky.

EDIT: I. Am. Tearing. My. Hair. Out.

Fuck this. I'm doing this tonight.

Booshka

I'm doing a CMW PvP strength build at the moment and I'm aiming for the following stats with pyromancer:

SL-120
Vit-49
Att-12*
End-40
Str-40
Dex-10
Res-12*
Int-32
Fai-8*

I am trying to choose what sword I will be using for pvp now and it is between the Claymore and Man-serpent greatsword. I've been doing my research but still can't choose between the two.

From what I've read claymore has a better moveset due to its R2 attack being a thrust as well as slightly more range. The claymore is also slightly lighter and swings a little faster. However, the Man-serpent greatsword has slightly more dmg and better STR stat scaling.

I assumed that because I am mainly going str and not dex I would get more dmg with the serpent sword but some people are saying that my main dmg will come from the CMW bonus so the moveset is more important.

So my question is with my stats above what sword would be better for me to PvP with?

DGM +15 is beast mode. You shouldn't have taken your STR to 40 though, just take it to 27 to 2H 40 requirement STR weapons then pump your INT to 44+. You get 3 points more damage with your Crystal Enchant buff for every level of INT you go up, you only get like 1 point for STR. I would suggest the Man Serpent Greatsword over Claymore though for that build. It has much better damage stats, scaling and has the same 2H R1 attack that wrecks people in stunlock.

I have a level 86 DGM character that I could take to 120-130 with INT based enchantments, not sure if I will because I like the activity at the lower level, and I beast with the thing without any enchantments. I messed up that character anyway, so I started a new one that I can keep at around 60 with almost as good stats. I still have a friend who has a ton of supplies that I need to trade back to this new character.

I've gotten it down to just Smough. A big thing for me (and I assume others) is staying patient, particularly in this fight, and picking where you can get your hits in on Ornstein. The second you get greedy, it's all over.

I must say, it's been a while since a boss fight in a game had my hands sweaty and shaky.

For the love of god, plug your controller into the Xbox/PS3 for that fight. I don't care if its charged. You're welcome.

Haha yep, running it off of my laptop USB slot.

Gave up for the night though. 15 times is enough. I'll probably beat them on the first run through tomorrow.

Jira

Beat the Bell Gargoyle, I was caught offguard when I found his weakspot and that ended up allowing me to get the kill.

Mutombo

OK guys, I am 6 hours in, which is about half an hour in the walkthrough videos on youtube. I am at the Undead (?) Burg and can't seem to kill the Taurus Demon. I'm a level 14 pyromancer, and what I do is I always run past the enemies towards the tower, kill the archers above (and sometimes get killed along the friggin way or by those bloody archers) and call the Taurus. Go back to the tower, give him a head stab, get some pyroflame shots at him, but I can'st seem to dodge his attacks that well, or I don't have the space between me and him to make it back to the tower and give him another headjab from above.

Anyway: the game is not fun. At all. I spent 4 hours grinding to get to level 14, dieing, rinsing and repeating, losing souls because I died the second time, etc. I also heard the game will get more difficult as I progress; which isn't exactly a turn on given my current difficulties at the beginning of the game. Sure there is a sense of elation when defeating a boss, but that only lasts for 6 minutes until you reach the next point where a bloody fuckin dragon awaits you at the bridge (I've seen the tutorial).

Maybe Dark Souls is not for me, then again I think this frustration, this anxiety, this state of pure fucking agony when trying to kill a boss, is what is also the thing that every fan of Dark Souls loves so much.

So did everyone else take 5 hours trying to kill one of the first bosses? Does it get better? Or is this game just not for me? Getting stuck every now and then, going to the internet and then reading what I am supposed to do kind of loses the virtual freedom, where I am just following footsteps in the hope that I will succeed within 10 deaths or so.

Zaptruder

Banned
OK guys, I am 6 hours in, which is about half an hour in the walkthrough videos on youtube. I am at the Undead (?) Burg and can't seem to kill the Taurus Demon. I'm a level 14 pyromancer, and what I do is I always run past the enemies towards the tower, kill the archers above (and sometimes get killed along the friggin way or by those bloody archers) and call the Taurus. Go back to the tower, give him a head stab, get some pyroflame shots at him, but I can'st seem to dodge his attacks that well, or I don't have the space between me and him to make it back to the tower and give him another headjab from above.

Anyway: the game is not fun. At all. I spent 4 hours grinding to get to level 14, dieing, rinsing and repeating, losing souls because I died the second time, etc. I also heard the game will get more difficult as I progress; which isn't exactly a turn on given my current difficulties at the beginning of the game. Sure there is a sense of elation when defeating a boss, but that only lasts for 6 minutes until you reach the next point where a bloody fuckin dragon awaits you at the bridge (I've seen the tutorial).

Maybe Dark Souls is not for me, then again I think this frustration, this anxiety, this state of pure fucking agony when trying to kill a boss, is what is also the thing that every fan of Dark Souls loves so much.

So did everyone else take 5 hours trying to kill one of the first bosses? Does it get better? Or is this game just not for me? Getting stuck every now and then, going to the internet and then reading what I am supposed to do kind of loses the virtual freedom, where I am just following footsteps in the hope that I will succeed within 10 deaths or so.

The balance between struggle and the elation that follows is the nature of Dark Souls. Get past the hurdle and see if you still hate it all. Maybe you will, in which case, oh well. More likely you'll come to love Dark Souls like an abused girlfriend; simply accepting that the vicious beatings it doles out is part and parcel of the relationship you share with it.

mxgt

Banned
First boss is tricky, but you've just got to get the rhythm of plunging and avoiding down, learn the attack patterns and attack types to know which ones you can easily run/roll past

I honestly think that thinks Dark Souls isn't as hard as people make it out to be

On my first playthrough with only using wikis for item related queries and not boss strategies I never really struggled on a boss, I think the most attempts was 5 or 6 on the gargoyles or bed of chaos who is just a cheap asshole anyway

I dunno, it's not like it's any harder than games used to be back in the early 90's

Anyway, I just found a Stone Greatshield, good lord dem stats. Shame about how much it weighs.

Numpt3

Well I did it, I just double dipped and ordered the PS3 version. Dark Souls has the honour of being the first ever game that I've bought twice.

You should have some Pine Resin from exploring undead burg. Put some on your weapon, then try and nail like 2 head plunges. Taurus Demon is super weak against lightning damage.

GABDEG

Did this get posted yet? Miyazaki Hidetaka wants to do DLC.

http://pastebin.com/hVXqsHvw

(I): Is there any plans for DLC? It was said we might have it during development so I want
to know your current plans.
(P): Honestly we have had some troubles for some time so we didn't have a chance for that
discussion as well as other around us. So we probably will start discussion now. I
can't say we will or will not have it but I do want to get one out in some way.

They also didn't ask for the pendant waste of an interview!

Sullichin

It only took you six hours to get to that point because you spent 4 hours grinding to level 14. That time would have been better spent trying taurus over and over. You can dodge most if not all of his attacks, and if you block an attack immediately lower your shield so you can get your stamina back faster. It's easy to heal standing right underneath him between his legs, and its also pretty easy to get a big distance from him and heal there. The idea is that the "state of pure fucking agony when trying to kill a boss" will turn into ultra-focused excitement. You'll probably still die a lot, but it will be less frustrating because you'll have a better understanding of what went wrong. The game continually demands patience and that your actions are deliberate and well-timed. I died to bosses several times on my first play through when they had just a sliver of health remaining because I got greedy with my attacks. There's a really steep learning curve in the beginning. It's a gradual, rewarding process to get good at this game. I was stuck where you were. Don't be discouraged.

Dresden

The two keys to defeating the taurus demon:

1. plunge attacks

2. run and roll through his fucking legs

Alternatively just bait him into swinging, dash -> hack in, roll out, rinse and repeat.

Finally if you're a fucking pyromancer you can just bait him into swinging, then toss a fireball. Six fireballs plus some firebombs will do the job.

Jhoan

DLC would be pretty cool if true. I would definitely bite for sure assuming it's a significant expansion of sorts ala Dragon Age: Awakening.

To whoever said that PVP is dead on the 360 version, I don't think it is. I just got invaded yesterday.

Speaking of that invasion, it happened in the
Painted World.
So I got the message that so and so has invaded, so I headed up a little bit past the bonfire to wait for him to spawn. The SOB spawned right behind me, and one hit k.o'ed me with a backstab. Worst PVP fight ever and possibly the quickest PVP fight ever. He bowed like a gentleman at the end. I know he must have been laughing his ass off.

I knew I should should have summoned people to act as bodyguards, but I ignored them. Speaking of which, that area chock full of summoning signs. Anyone have any humiliating moments like this happen to them?

Progress made so far for me includes taking out
Crossbreed Priscilla who I felt bad killing, but I needed her tail and her soul. Also Gywndolin who was a massive pain in the ass; it took me about 15 tries to take him out. Teleporting plus strong magic attacks= a pain in the ass.
I'm making my way to the bonfire near Ornstein and Smough. It should be fun; I've seen the videos and heard so much about them. My plan is to take out Smough first, then go for Ornstein.

I also upgraded my Lightning Spear to +4, so I think Four Kings should be easier with it. I was thinking of upgrading it to +5 at the cost of using my only Titanite Chunk, but I dunno if it was worth it so I decided against it. Once I get Havel's Armor, I think both bosses should be easier I hope.

Numpt3

It's a gradual, rewarding process to get good at this game. I was stuck where you were. Don't be discouraged.

Yeah don't give up on it Mutombo, keep trying and eventually you will get it.

Everyone struggles with this game at first (the gargoyles were a bloody nightmare for me), it's just a case of rinse, repeat and learning from every death but eventually everything will click and the game will suck you in.

Keep at it!

edbrat

Progress made so far for me includes taking out
Crossbreed Priscilla who I felt bad killing, but I needed her tail and her soul. Also Gywndolin who was a massive pain in the ass; it took me about 15 tries to take him out. Teleporting plus strong magic attacks= a pain in the ass.
I'm making my way to the bonfire near Ornstein and Smough. It should be fun; I've seen the videos and heard so much about them. My plan is to take out Smough first, then go for Ornstein.

I also upgraded my Lightning Spear to +4, so I think Four Kings should be easier with it. I was thinking of upgrading it to +5 at the cost of using my only Titanite Chunk, but I dunno if it was worth it so I decided against it. Once I get Havel's Armor, I think both bosses should be easier I hope.

The order you want to do O&S in is definitely hard mode....not that there is an easy mode but still. But good luck, I've done it but you want to know his attacks pretty well as they can ruin all but the biggest health bars. For this fight I suggest putting your sign down and cooping with others to get familiar with it before doing your own run.

Also lightning weapons are not good for O, use something else.

Also I don't rec Havels for O&S, I think mobility is your best ally for that fight with patience and enemy attack knowledge being your second and third best allies.

For 4kings OTOH, full havels + grass crest shield + lightning shield = easy mode

Booshka

Indeed PvP is far from dead on 360, I was getting invaded non stop today in Darkroot on my NG++ char

I've noticed there is usually a lot less variety in the activity though, I see a lot of the same names over and over when I am chilling in one area (Forest/Twilight Londo) for PvP. I like to just summon a phantom and then watch them fight 1 on 1 for a while, and I'll heal them after they win a fight, sometimes I drop items as well for a reward.

Numpt3

In the 70 hours I've put into the 360 version I've been summoned twice for the O&S fight (by the same guy, we got owned the first time. lol) and been invaded once. I've never managed to invade anyone, it always fails.

That's it. :/

Booshka

In the 70 hours I've put into the 360 version I've been summoned twice for the O&S fight and been invaded once. I've never managed to invade anyone, it always fails.

That's it. :/

Test your connection, might be your NAT, or you are severely overleveled for that area.

Edit: WOW, just got 5 Chunks and a Titanite Slab from New Londo Ruins farming run. So lucky.

Numpt3

I think I was around lvl 75 to 80 before I went into ng+

Yeah I'l look into my connection tommorow, see if that's whats up.

elohel

do mimics ever respawn? really wanted to try that loyds talisman trick so I stocked
Up on humanity but then realized that Ive already killed all the mimics in the world I think :( did anor Londo and sens and dukes archives where else they located?

Test your connection, might be your NAT, or you are severely overleveled for that area.

Edit: WOW, just got 5 Chunks and a Titanite Slab from New Londo Ruins farming run. So lucky.

From the Dark Wraiths?! I am about to try some Slab farming there, how rare are the drops? I am on 410 item discovery.

Booshka

do mimics ever respawn? really wanted to try that loyds talisman trick so I stocked
Up on humanity but then realized that Ive already killed all the mimics in the world I think :( did anor Londo and sens and dukes archives where else they located?

No, mimics don't respawn, and I don't think there are any left for you to kill if you cleared all those areas out. I know one of the Mimics in Duke's Archives is bound to drop the Symbol of Avarice now, similar to how one of the two Butcher's in the Depths will drop a Sack.

From the Dark Wraiths?! I am about to try some Slab farming there, how rare are the drops? I am on 410 item discovery.
It's a very rare drop, I do all my Chunk farming there, and hope to get lucky for Slabs. I wouldn't specifically farm for a Slab unless you are desperate and patient, but if you are farming for Chunks, always do it in New Londo.

i would recommend trying stuff on your own before reading or watching videos. the most satisfying part of the game is creeping forward and eventually discovering the next area or bonfire. i started as a pyromancer also, and the hand axe basically sucks and you probably dont have the stats to weild anything good yet. for the taurus demon fight i
immediately climbed the ladder to kill the archers. then made taurus appear and ran back to the ladder and did a plunge attack. ran to the other end of the bridge so taurus followed me. locked on, got underneath him, unlocked and ran back to the ladder. plunged again. took maybe 3 or 4 plunges with the crappy hand axe.
once i got to the next area i got my stats to where i could use the halberd and have been using that much of the way since then.

but seriously, discovery and feeling afraid and vulnerable are big parts of what i consider the experience, so my advice is: be patient; keep your shield up when in unknown territory; dont check wikis or watch walkthroughs until you are stuck or died a few times in the same spot. beating a few of the bosses in this game (or demons souls) are the most satisfying feelings in games.

patience is pretty important throughout the game, not just in this fight. being a pyromancer made this fight much easier i think, since i was able to keep my distance while eliminating ornstein, and then by the time i was out of pyro it was just smough, and he is so slow. as long as you wait until one of his slow moves that takes a few seconds for him to recover you can get a hit or two in. the annoying part (to me) is that his hammer is so large hitting him can be tough and time consuming even when he is vulnerable.

the only time in years ive thrown my controller is the sif fight, though after a few more failures i would have done it in this one.

njean777

It only took you six hours to get to that point because you spent 4 hours grinding to level 14. That time would have been better spent trying taurus over and over. You can dodge most if not all of his attacks, and if you block an attack immediately lower your shield so you can get your stamina back faster. It's easy to heal standing right underneath him between his legs, and its also pretty easy to get a big distance from him and heal there. The idea is that the "state of pure fucking agony when trying to kill a boss" will turn into ultra-focused excitement. You'll probably still die a lot, but it will be less frustrating because you'll have a better understanding of what went wrong. The game continually demands patience and that your actions are deliberate and well-timed. I died to bosses several times on my first play through when they had just a sliver of health remaining because I got greedy with my attacks. There's a really steep learning curve in the beginning. It's a gradual, rewarding process to get good at this game. I was stuck where you were. Don't be discouraged.

To be honest the only thing he needs to do is hit a falling attack at the beginning and then run all the way down, lure the demon to the other end of the bridge, then run back to the ladder climb up and then repeat another falling attack. That is what I did and killed him no problem.

Also LOL at the Big Wolf, killed him in one try. That was the easiest boss fight in the game for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom