• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that The Maiden in Black can easily take out anyone in both Demon's and Dark's world so she has my vote.

Key to life's ether.

YES! I just beat
Ornstein and Smough after being stuck on them forever. I killed Ornstein first and then whittled down Smough with arrows while backing away. I almost died so many times. My heart was pounding so fast lol. I was so happy when I beat him. Feels real good man.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hit a wall with the Bed of Chaos and didn't touch the game for three days. Picked it up tonight and after six tries and 10 beers, I finally killed it. An hour later, I beat the game. Gwyn was surprisingly easy. I hadn't used the parry move the entire playthrough until then. Finished him up after a couple tries. Got some sweet Black Knight armor during the last area, too.
I chose the ending that you get after leaving the area.

I'm so glad to finally finish this game. It was quite a trip. I figured after buying it that I may not ever finish it, but I did. Easily one of my top favorite games of all time. Easily GOTY material, and that's coming from someone that never really plays anything in the genre.

Loved the bosses, (even though many were some of the biggest pains in the ass ever.) Loved the combat, upgrading weapons, and I thought everything worked well as a whole. I do wish there were a little more as far as story goes, although I have never played Demon's Souls. Pretty cool, though, as it left a lot for the imagination.

Overall, I thought the game was phenomenal. Took me almost 50 hours, and I finished up around level 90. Truly an awesome game and a dark lonely atmosphere. I didn't really care for the PvP part but it was a nice change of pace from tearing through the areas. With a little tweaking, it could be a really fun part of the game.

Anor Londo is hands down the most enjoyable part of the game for me- once you are carried over the wall into the city. It was really a new game after that. So much to do in an awesome area.

I'm looking forward to starting NG+ after I take some time to play a few games I've missed in the past few months. A+, Dark Souls. Can't wait for the next one or some DLC.
Congrats on finishing, and thanks for your impressions. Nice to know people new to the series/genre are getting through and enjoying it.

I lost my 120 hour NG+ character as well as a 10-20 hour fresh save thanks to several PS3 data backup/transfer mishaps... But I must say, that doesn't put me off playing Dark Souls. Starting everything from scratch is just as fun - sometimes even more so than before.

If this was any other game this gen, I would probably sob and say "never again", but this has that old school quality that simply makes you feel "no biggy", and just get back into the fray. Like so many awesome games from the past, you can be a total pro right from the start, and it has a big impact on your enjoyment.

'Knowing' the game really gives more room for experimentation, and I'm getting through the bosses at a fair whack while still making time for levelling, upgrading, and some online shenanigans.

Even the missus doesn't mind seeing everything again. She gets a kick out of watching me team up with phantoms, and shakes her head when I get killed by an invader or die from over-confidence. Dark Souls is just amazing, and I haven't even got my HDTV yet (which will no doubt warrant another playthrough!)

J-Roderton

Congrats on finishing, and thanks for your impressions. Nice to know people new to the series/genre are getting through and enjoying it.

I lost my 120 hour NG+ character as well as a 10-20 hour fresh save thanks to several PS3 data backup/transfer mishaps... But I must say, that doesn't put me off playing Dark Souls. Starting everything from scratch is just as fun - sometimes even more so than before.

If this was any other game this gen, I would probably sob and say "never again", but this has that old school quality that simply makes you feel "no biggy", and just get back into the fray. Like so many awesome games from the past, you can be a total pro right from the start, and it has a big impact on your enjoyment.

'Knowing' the game really gives more room for experimentation, and I'm getting through the bosses at a fair whack while still making time for levelling, upgrading, and some online shenanigans.

Even the missus doesn't mind seeing everything again. She gets a kick out of watching me team up with phantoms, and shakes her head when I get killed by an invader or die from over-confidence. Dark Souls is just amazing, and I haven't even got my HDTV yet (which will no doubt warrant another playthrough!)

Thanks! At first, seeing that the game gives you very little to no intro or guidance really makes the experience that much more rewarding. It really leaves it up to the player. I made it through the entire game without even touching pyro or magic. I could keep going but I'll leave it at saying this game is just great.

Also, I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more with your HDTV.

Cheers.

malfcn

Found the hidden room in the Archive. I must have got lost and never checked the one door.

What is after Smough and Ornstein? I can't remember what is up there..is it just the chick?

krakov

I believe it's the falling through the map glitch. I experienced it myself last night when a skeleton did a successful riposte, pushed me through the map in a falling animation and I died from the infinite fall.

Did you find your souls/humanity later?

Booshka

Got your slab, Booshka.

So how does this work? You put down a sign in an obscure place or something?

Great, we need to use a combination of the Red Soapstone and depending on your level, the White Soapstone to trade. The Moonlight Greatsword is on a level 260 character, so you need to put a red soapstone down in order for me to summon you. You will then be in my game as an invader, but we can trade just fine. I'll give you the sword and a Slab of mine, then I will get on my other character (a level 60) and I will invade your game with Red Soapstone. Then, I get my two slabs (one from you and one from my other character). I can give you a bunch of Twinkling Titanite as well.

My GT is Booshka, message me when you can and we'll trade when we're both online.

NEO0MJ

Wuut. How did people find the hidden paths in the Crystal Cave?

You can see tiny flakes falling and breaking on the hidden paths. Of course just using the sign left by players is easier.

Little help needed.

Just placed the Lord Vessel using Kaathe. Do I have to join the Darkwraiths now or can I come back and join later?

ijed

Another dumquestion. What causes the humanity counter to look like a rotting skull? I've forgotten.

Getting cursed?

Also I found if you're farming in an area you havent beaten the boss in you can farm floating humanity by killing about 20-30 enemies in an area you haven't beaten...

New battle mage build is pretty sweet - sl57 moonlight gs and channeler's trident. 36int for soul spear, some good jolly co-op in anor and depths so don't wanna level further. Plus dusk crown and ring i don't bother with TCC and just use Beatrice's. Just got demon catalyst tho that does 300 fire damage...

malfcn

Wow the Crystal Cave is shitty. Follow the breaking flakes it you still fall off paths. There goes 40k souls. A zig-zag invisible path is cruel.

I'm pretty sure that The Maiden in Black can easily take out anyone in both Demon's and Dark's world so she has my vote.

Key to life's ether.

Maiden in Black was indeed a boss, it's highly implied she's as powerful as (if not more so than) the Old One, after all. She'd stomp any of the other bosses and yank their soul out while giggling and casually dangling her feet off some ledge like she tends to do, but I think a full powered "Lord of Sunlight" Gwyn would be in her league though since non-godlike "Lord of Cinder" Gwyn was still that absurdly strong.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Beatrix couldn't even handle one let alone all four.

I had this hollow summoned for the fight along with beatrix. The witch obviously got shut down immediately as the fight started and the hollow, well, he stood there as I try to take on the boss. He continued to watch as the kings slaughtered me. The thing that made me rage was, they only needed one more hit. One more hit. He only needed to hit them once with his magic imbued(yes he managed to do that much) axe to turn that fight around. But nope, he didn't.

If you're good at pulling aggro she can kill one of them provided fortune favors you and she continues to focus on the first one after the second appears and doesn't decide to whack one of them with her staff for some ludicrous and incomprehensible reason. As soon as there's two with high health or -- heaven forfend -- three at once it's all over, she spends the rest of the time stunlocked or knocked down, and what attacks she does manage to get off once in a blue moon are hopelessly spread out at random rather than focused on bringing one down. And it's essentially impossible to keep the aggro of multiple kings on you continuously so it's not like nigh-superhuman dodging skills will let you bait them long enough for her to win a war of attrition.

I have probably spent far more time trying to bolster the self-esteem of the NPC phantoms than any reasonable person should, looking back on it.

MrWisker

Wow the Crystal Cave is shitty. Follow the breaking flakes it you still fall off paths. There goes 40k souls. A zig-zag invisible path is cruel.

First time through I would take your time. Go and buy a shit-load of prism stones to drop in front of you to find where the path goes. Once you do this a couple of times you will learn where the hidden paths are.

Also, if you are playing online you should be seeing a lot of messages on the floor marking where the paths are. Most paths are pretty wide and straight when getting to the boss area. The only real pain in the ass path is the one leading to the slab.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Despite having played Demon's Souls, I feel like I'm "playing it wrong". For the hour and 45 minutes I've been playing I've yet to find a blacksmith I can buy stuff from. I have zero arrows, which was a large part of my strategy in Demon's Souls.

Leezard

Even having played Demon's Souls, I feel like I'm "playing it wrong". For the hour and 45 minutes I've been playing I've yet to find a blacksmith I can buy stuff from. I have zero arrows, which was a large part of my strategy in Demon's Souls.

Arrows can be bought from the male undead merchant, who is in the Undead Burg near the first bonfire, if you go down the stairs near the pikemen zombies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Arrows can be bought from the male undead merchant, who is in the Undead Burg near the first bonfire, if you go down the stairs near the pikemen zombies.
While I really like the gaming an open world, it's going to take some time to remember the name of each area. In Demon's Souls I just used numbers. :p

Frank

While I really like the gaming an open world, it's going to take some time to remember the name of each area. In Demon's Souls I just used numbers. :p

They will come gradually, as you play. The names are connected with the mood & look of each area as well, and as you'll start discovering new areas it will become more clear.

Despite having played Demon's Souls, I feel like I'm "playing it wrong". For the hour and 45 minutes I've been playing I've yet to find a blacksmith I can buy stuff from. I have zero arrows, which was a large part of my strategy in Demon's Souls.

I don't think I got to the first blacksmith until I had played considerably longer than that. I want to say I played in excess of 8 or 10 hours before ringing the first bell (the 1-1 boss, if you will). I'm sure you're doing fine. Stick with it.

Maiden in Black was indeed a boss, it's highly implied she's as powerful as (if not more so than) the Old One, after all. She'd stomp any of the other bosses and yank their soul out while giggling and casually dangling her feet off some ledge like she tends to do, but I think a full powered "Lord of Sunlight" Gwyn would be in her league though since non-godlike "Lord of Cinder" Gwyn was still that absurdly strong.

A full-power Gwyn or Nito would be very, very powerful indeed. The player fights Gwyn after his soul has been divided 5 ways (Kings + Seath) and he's been burning in the Kiln for a thousand years, but he can still jump hundreds of feet, swing a 20-foot sword like it's a small stick, and create fairly powerful explosions in his hands- and this is after he's given up basically all of his power besides what's needed to keep him alive.

Nito is literally the god of Death, and it's implied that, at full power, he can kill up to and including everlasting dragons with a wave of power- "miasma of death and disease-" that turned what looks to be the roots of a World Tree into powder. Most of his power's been stolen before the game takes place, and I read an interesting theory that Nito actually wants to loose, as it would ensure that the First Flame continues to burn- without it, there is no death. His fight is basically a token resistance for appearance's sake. It's my personal canon now.

If the Chosen Undead fought Gwyn or Nito (and probably the Witch, although we don't really know how powerful she was without her daughters buffing her firestorm spell or before she was turned into the Bed) and full power, no holding back, he/she would be absolutely curbstomped.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't think I got to the first blacksmith until I had played considerably longer than that. I want to say I played in excess of 8 or 10 hours before ringing the first bell (the 1-1 boss, if you will). I'm sure you're doing fine. Stick with it.
I definitely will, I'm loving it so far. It's just weird coming off a Demon's Souls where shops are available from the beginning.

sleepykyo

A full-power Gwyn or Nito would be very, very powerful indeed. The player fights Gwyn after his soul has been divided 5 ways (Kings + Seath) and he's been burning in the Kiln for a thousand years, but he can still jump hundreds of feet, swing a 20-foot sword like it's a small stick, and create fairly powerful explosions in his hands- and this is after he's given up basically all of his power besides what's needed to keep him alive.

Nito is literally the god of Death, and it's implied that, at full power, he can kill up to and including everlasting dragons with a wave of power- "miasma of death and disease-" that turned what looks to be the roots of a World Tree into powder. Most of his power's been stolen before the game takes place, and I read an interesting theory that Nito actually wants to loose, as it would ensure that the First Flame continues to burn- without it, there is no death. His fight is basically a token resistance for appearance's sake. It's my personal canon now.

If the Chosen Undead fought Gwyn or Nito (and probably the Witch, although we don't really know how powerful she was without her daughters buffing her firestorm spell or before she was turned into the Bed) and full power, no holding back, he/she would be absolutely curbstomped.

But Nito got his powers jacked by pinwheel.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Great, we need to use a combination of the Red Soapstone and depending on your level, the White Soapstone to trade. The Moonlight Greatsword is on a level 260 character, so you need to put a red soapstone down in order for me to summon you. You will then be in my game as an invader, but we can trade just fine. I'll give you the sword and a Slab of mine, then I will get on my other character (a level 60) and I will invade your game with Red Soapstone. Then, I get my two slabs (one from you and one from my other character). I can give you a bunch of Twinkling Titanite as well.

My GT is Booshka, message me when you can and we'll trade when we're both online.

Your list is full. my gt is NAH Fragment.

Booshka

Appreciated, Booshka. Thanks for being patient with my noob self too :)

edit: Wow that really took an hour and a half? lol

ya that took way too long, thanks anyway. Not your fault either, just takes a while to get each other connected, having to reset signs and such to get on the same server.

Beats

There's no zig-zagging going on. There is only one path that isn't totally straight, and it curves.

Yeah there should only be one that curves, and that one is optional anyway. I ended up using a bunch of prism stones my first time through to get to the otherside, and I barely had any left once I got there which sucked because once I turned around to go back a bunch of the markers were already gone. :|

Pejo

Ok so i'm on my 7th or 8th playthrough on a new character i made to play co-op with my gf, she's at work so i'm just helping people out with Gaping Dragon to get some humanity stock.

I put down white soapstone sign and proceed to farm shards and humanity while i wait to get summoned.

Here's the weird part; instead of getting summoned, i get a message that i was Invading another world.

WTH???

so i get there, and sure enough i'm a red phantom, and the poor guy i invaded was really confused. I lowered my guard and stood there and sent him a message on PSN and tell him i don't understand what happened, but he can score a free kill on me, so i take off my armor and let him backstab me a few times.

Then i get the message "YOU DIED" not that my phantom was vanquished. Get back to my world (where i previously was human) and my souls/humanity stock is gone and my bloodstain is right where the guy summoned me, but i'm still human (not hallowed).

I'll chalk this up to a glitch, but for a second there i thought maybe i found something cool.

krakov

Ok so i'm on my 7th or 8th playthrough on a new character i made to play co-op with my gf, she's at work so i'm just helping people out with Gaping Dragon to get some humanity stock.

I put down white soapstone sign and proceed to farm shards and humanity while i wait to get summoned.

Here's the weird part; instead of getting summoned, i get a message that i was Invading another world.

WTH???

so i get there, and sure enough i'm a red phantom, and the poor guy i invaded was really confused. I lowered my guard and stood there and sent him a message on PSN and tell him i don't understand what happened, but he can score a free kill on me, so i take off my armor and let him backstab me a few times.

Then i get the message "YOU DIED" not that my phantom was vanquished. Get back to my world (where i previously was human) and my souls/humanity stock is gone and my bloodstain is right where the guy summoned me, but i'm still human (not hallowed).

I'll chalk this up to a glitch, but for a second there i thought maybe i found something cool.

Similar things will happen with most of the online objects. I managed to invade via the white soapstone as well the other day and has also appeared as a darkwraith when using the blue orb. It's not very common though and you can just black crystal home whenever it happens.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
sl111 and trying to figure out what to put the rest of my points into before I hit 120.

vit 30
att 16 (probably spent a bit too much here)
end 40
str 16
dex 40
int 32
fai 8

vit is tempting but my build is low health by design so I feel like I would get more out of it if I spent my points elsewhere. end might be nice, but I'm not familiar enough with all the equipment weights to be sure I wouldn't regret it. I'm leaning towards dex over int because having both 40 in int and dex feels like I'd put myself in a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

Thoughts?

Booshka

sl111 and trying to figure out what to put the rest of my points into before I hit 120.

vit 30
att 16 (probably spent a bit too much here)
end 40
str 16
dex 40
int 32
fai 8

vit is tempting but my build is low health by design so I feel like I would get more out of it if I spent my points elsewhere. end might be nice, but I'm not familiar enough with all the equipment weights to be sure I wouldn't regret it. I'm leaning towards dex over int because having both 40 in int and dex feels like I'd put myself in a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

Thoughts?
Keep your DEX at 40, the scaling falls off precipitously after 40. 19 ATT is pretty good for 5 slots if you want to use more magic, if not, then I would put more points into INT for Crystal Magic Scaling and increased damage for Sorcery/Moonlight Greatsword, or just put points into VIT for a good bump in health. I wouldn't increase END, you don't get more Stamina after 40, and if you are using DEX weapons, you can equip some equipment and get decent poise.

TL;DR, Increase VIT, ATT, or INT, only take ATT to 19 if you are going to increase it, then go with INT or VIT, depending on whether you want to take more damage or do more damage.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just started playing this last week, and all i've got to say is that its such an awesome feeling when this game finally "clicks" and you're not dying 500 times over and over!! :)

elohel

Just started playing this last week, and all i've got to say is that its such an awesome feeling when this game finally "clicks" and you're not dying 500 times over and over!! :)

lol you never stop dying in this game, least I haven't stopped yet

i agree though that it feels amazing when it clicks and you land some gnarly blows on some demons

Dresden

Made a bandit, used the bottomless box glitch to give him a lightning great club +5 and the darkwood grain ring. At level 20 I was just helping people kill the gargoyles . . . and went through four invasions in about seven or so summons. Counter ganking feels good.

This might be interesting: What are are some things you guys learned during subsequent play thoughs, or after you've put many hours into the game, that you've kicked yourself for not knowing/discovering sooner?

- I didn't know you could upgrade fire weapons to +10 until my 3rd playthrough
- I didn't know you could slide down ladders until about 40 hours in
- I didn't know the Hydras turned into little bitches when you get in their faces
- I stumbled onto the drake swords' awesome secondary attacks when I was trapped in a corner with about 6 undead chasing me
- I didn't know Havel's shield had the ability to crystallize your armor until literally 3 days ago....

sleepykyo

This might be interesting: What are are some things you guys learned during subsequent play thoughs, or after you've put many hours into the game, that you've kicked yourself for not knowing/discovering sooner?

- I didn't know you could upgrade fire weapons to +10 until my 3rd playthrough
- I didn't know you could slide down ladders until about 40 hours in
- I didn't know the Hydras turned into little bitches when you get in their faces
- I stumbled onto the drake swords' awesome secondary attacks when I was trapped in a corner with about 6 undead chasing me
- I didn't know Havel's shield had the ability to crystallize your armor until literally 3 days ago....

You can slide down ladders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom