• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know until recently that you could nullify the toxic effect from the infected undead in the Painted World by using a fire weapon.

I've traversed enough game world ladders to know that sliding down is usually done with the cancel button, but this..... THIS.........

Sullichin

Lol it was annoying going back to DeS, and moving so slowly down ladders without being able to slide.

You can coax the sleeping snake man that's guarding the way to big hat logan in into stabbing and breaking the wall for you. Saw it in a speed run i think, and it works.

Didn't know until yesterday that Super Ornstein can impale more than one person with the same lightning impale attack. Sunbro-kabob.

Didn't know about the second bonfire in the catacombs until I saw it mentioned here, while I was in my third playthrough. It's pretty useless though.

I've heard conflicting reports about the bellowing dragoncrest ring and dusk crown increasing the power of pyromancies. Does it do anything?

Had no idea about avoiding the toxin effect in painted world with a fire weapon.

Can't believe I'm still playing this game constantly and regularly checking this thread...

EvaTType01

Neo Member
on NG+, great game, but i dont understand the invasion types, can someone explain?

I was at the belltower churche, but a blue phantom invaded my game, i was under the impression that blue phantoms only hunt people on the indicted list? or is it because he is in the darkmoon guild and he used an invasion stone? im confused. I have never invaded btw....

also, is there another place i can farm titanite slabs other than darkwraiths? I already collected 800k worth of souls, and only obtained tons of titanite chunks >.> do they really drop? I had 10 humanity, with serpect ring and monster treausre head equiped....

Numpt3

I didn't know until recently that you could nullify the toxic effect from the infected undead in the Painted World by using a fire weapon.

Wow, I never knew this. Add me to the list of people who didn't know you could slide down ladders until well into the game, lol.

krakov

also, is there another place i can farm titanite slabs other than darkwraiths? I already collected 800k worth of souls, and only obtained tons of titanite chunks >.> do they really drop? I had 10 humanity, with serpect ring and monster treausre head equiped....

Got one the other day, wasn't even farming really. Just hanging out looking to be summoned and such.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I feel like Burger King should be paying me to wear the mask of the father.

Keep your DEX at 40, the scaling falls off precipitously after 40. 19 ATT is pretty good for 5 slots if you want to use more magic, if not, then I would put more points into INT for Crystal Magic Scaling and increased damage for Sorcery/Moonlight Greatsword, or just put points into VIT for a good bump in health. I wouldn't increase END, you don't get more Stamina after 40, and if you are using DEX weapons, you can equip some equipment and get decent poise.

TL;DR, Increase VIT, ATT, or INT, only take ATT to 19 if you are going to increase it, then go with INT or VIT, depending on whether you want to take more damage or do more damage.

Took your advice and pumped it into INT. We'll see how it goes. If I'm not happy with it, then I'm familiar enough with the game by now to be able to run another 120 character (relatively) quickly.

on NG+, great game, but i dont understand the invasion types, can someone explain?

I was at the belltower churche, but a blue phantom invaded my game, i was under the impression that blue phantoms only hunt people on the indicted list? or is it because he is in the darkmoon guild and he used an invasion stone? im confused. I have never invaded btw....

Darkmoons can invade peeps who have betrayed their covenants.

Also, yeah Darkwraiths in Anor Londo drop drop slabs. I've picked up 3 from them in the past few days. You could also try Great Hollow lizards for slabs.

mxgt

Banned
Great hollow lizards are pretty reliable if you need a slab, although sometimes you don't get one which is frustrating.

Beats endlessly farming Darkwraiths though

maomaoIYP

Yep, it works.

It's not entirely true. I just did this yesterday. Chao +5 zweihander, normal swing = no toxins spewing out. Heavy swing = toxins everywhere.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
A full-power Gwyn or Nito would be very, very powerful indeed. The player fights Gwyn after his soul has been divided 5 ways (Kings + Seath) and he's been burning in the Kiln for a thousand years, but he can still jump hundreds of feet, swing a 20-foot sword like it's a small stick, and create fairly powerful explosions in his hands- and this is after he's given up basically all of his power besides what's needed to keep him alive.

Nito is literally the god of Death, and it's implied that, at full power, he can kill up to and including everlasting dragons with a wave of power- "miasma of death and disease-" that turned what looks to be the roots of a World Tree into powder. Most of his power's been stolen before the game takes place, and I read an interesting theory that Nito actually wants to loose, as it would ensure that the First Flame continues to burn- without it, there is no death. His fight is basically a token resistance for appearance's sake. It's my personal canon now.

If the Chosen Undead fought Gwyn or Nito (and probably the Witch, although we don't really know how powerful she was without her daughters buffing her firestorm spell or before she was turned into the Bed) and full power, no holding back, he/she would be absolutely curbstomped.
Even if some of this is simply your own canon, it's all a good read. Thinking about stuff like Gwyn and Nito at their "full power" brings so much more depth and colour to this game. I don't believe it's a shame the story isn't 'fleshed out' more throughout the course of gameplay, because that would make discussion threads and item descriptions lose value. Piecing it together bit-by-bit is just one of the fascinating things about it.

I have a few questions: I got my 3 kills in the Forest Protectors last night, and want to quit now so I can join a real covenant. I would quite like to kill Shiva and his bodyguard for the items, though. Also, because Shiva seems like a knob-face.

If I leave the covenant the 'proper' way through the guy in the bell tower, will Shiva and his ninja mate still be at the bottom of Blighttown? Is there any advantage of this method?

Should I buy anything in particular from Shiva before starting on him?

If I go down to the poison swamp and kill them both, will there be any penalty besides not being able to join Forest Protectors until my next playthrough (save absolution)?

Thanks in advance :)

maomaoIYP

I have a few questions: I got my 3 kills in the Forest Protectors last night, and want to quit now so I can join a real covenant. I would quite like to kill Shiva and his bodyguard for the items, though. Also, because Shiva seems like a knob-face.

If I leave the covenant the 'proper' way through the guy in the bell tower, will Shiva and his ninja mate still be at the bottom of Blighttown? Is there any advantage of this method?

Should I buy anything in particular from Shiva before starting on him?

If I go down to the poison swamp and kill them both, will there be any penalty besides not being able to join Forest Protectors until my next playthrough (save absolution)?

Thanks in advance :)
If you leave the proper way they won't be there.

Buy whatever weapons from Shiva that you like and want to be using before you kill him. Some of his weapons cannot be obtained anywhere else, most notably the washing pole.

The only real penalty I can think of is if you mess up and die when fighting them both, they'll be gone and you will need to absolve.

Zaptruder

Banned
I can't wait until someone tells me those archers in Anor Londo can be knocked off the edge with a throwing knife or a prism stone or something.

You don't need to... You can just sprint full tilt at right one until you get within striking distance. He goes down pretty quickly - the left one positions himself so that he can't hit you when you've killed the right one.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If you leave the proper way they won't be there.

Buy whatever weapons from Shiva that you like and want to be using before you kill him. Some of his weapons cannot be obtained anywhere else, most notably the washing pole.

The only real penalty I can think of is if you mess up and die when fighting them both, they'll be gone and you will need to absolve.
Thanks very much! I'll be extra careful when I fight 'em.

Guys. Guys. I just had a revelation.

I just read a WMG on Tvtropes stating that the Darksign has nothing to do with linking the First Flame. Now, at this point, I thought, "well, duh, it's really obvious that the two things are unconnected...oh. OHHH."

One of my annoyances with the story was that there is absolutely no hints that Frampt is deceiving the Chosen Undead unless one talks to Kaathe. However, it never occurred to me that Frampt directly contradicts the story in the prologue, that the Darksign appeared sometime between the defeat of the Dragons and Gwyn going to relink the Flame. Gwyn's relinking didn't cure the darksign. The Chosen Undead's won't, either. There was a huge clue that Frampt is lying to you right in the introduction, and it never occurred to me until I had it spelled out to me like that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna pretend I understood that 100%, but are you basically saying that the "bad" ending is actually the good ending?

Or simply that there are no good endings in the world of Dark Souls...?

And when you say 'introduction', do you mean Frampt's initial speech when you meet him for the first time?

Sullichin

After watching the giantbomb quicklook on this back from when before the game came out, and being summoned to a world with a fire-bow wielding sunbro.. I decided to start another character that uses bows, something I never focused much on. Maybe I'll make a STR/DEX combo character to use the really heavy STR requirement weapons this time around....fuck.

Pumpkins

I just read a WMG on Tvtropes stating that the Darksign has nothing to do with linking the First Flame. Now, at this point, I thought, "well, duh, it's really obvious that the two things are unconnected...oh. OHHH."

One of my annoyances with the story was that there is absolutely no hints that Frampt is deceiving the Chosen Undead unless one talks to Kaathe. However, it never occurred to me that Frampt directly contradicts the story in the prologue, that the Darksign appeared sometime between the defeat of the Dragons and Gwyn going to relink the Flame. Gwyn's relinking didn't cure the darksign. The Chosen Undead's won't, either. There was a huge clue that Frampt is lying to you right in the introduction, and it never occurred to me until I had it spelled out to me like that.

Yeah the story is insanely cool.

I love how everyone who actually takes the time to experience it has an "ah-hah!" moment. The story is pretty open ended as well, lots of ways to interpret things since not much is spelled out.

Dresden

After watching the giantbomb quicklook on this back from when before the game came out, and being summoned to a world with a fire-bow wielding sunbro.. I decided to start another character that uses bows, something I never focused much on. Maybe I'll make a STR/DEX combo character to use the really heavy STR requirement weapons this time around....fuck.

I tried a bow-only character, took dexterity to 50 and used a pharis+15 . . . never bothered after finishing anor londo, it's boring.

Nice thing is that with the hawk ring + feather arrows, you can kill things a mile away with the pharis bow.

Sullichin

I tried a bow-only character, took dexterity to 50 and used a pharis+15 . . . never bothered after finishing anor londo, it's boring.

Nice thing is that with the hawk ring + feather arrows, you can kill things a mile away with the pharis bow.

I don't think I'll go bow only, I plan on wielding heavy STR weapons too. I'll probably stop after AL anyway, I've been through the game too many times (and the first half even more, but I like it more). I definitely like melee more than using a bow so far.

Siegemeyer running at that Hydra was epic. Can you imagine how incredible this series could be if it retained the depth it currently has, AND weaved a large, overarching story around all the characters? They've mastered the gameplay, now I want LORE!!

elohel

Siegemeyer running at that Hydra was epic. Can you imagine how incredible this series could be if it retained the depth it currently has, AND weaved a large, overarching story around all the characters? They've mastered the gameplay, now I want LORE!!

I'm kinda digging the whole "you get what you want" out of it approach

if you want more story you can key into obscure cues in the game
(not you specifically but anyone in general i mean lol)

I know what you mean, and I agree to some extent, but I'm always finding myself wanting more story. No matter what I find.

I like that you have to dig a bit to get the details, but the problem is is that you have to dig to really get any story out of the game- if you are just going through the game and not paying strict attention at all times and reading all the loading screens and listening to all of the optional dialogue, you probably won't have a clue what the fuck is going on and why. A lot of it feels like grasping at straws- the story is there, but it's just so little relative to the work required to actually pull anything meaningful out of it. There's also tons and tons of things that are just glossed over or not explained at all- for instance, why do O&S try to kill the player character, when their bosses want the Chosen Undead to take the Lordvessel? Some kind of test? Isn't that what the Bells of Awakening and Sen's Fortress are for? What happend to Gough and the Hornet Knight who's name I forgot? Why does Kaathe never mention Artorias, when
converting
him would be a MAJOR coup? Why is Priscilla so underutilized, when everything about her backstory suggests she'd be an important character?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

I don't recall the intro or Frampt making a definitive statement regarding the sequence of events concerning Gwyn and the Darksign. The intro makes no comment about Gwyn -- or about any of the other Lord Soul bearers -- after the part about them fighting the dragons. And Frampt deals almost entirely in vagaries on the matter of timelines, and just comments on you succeeding Gwyn and ending the Undead curse. Neither source makes much of a comment on anything specific concerning the Darksign, and the sparse information provided by one doesn't seem to contradict the sparse information provided by the other.

What happend to Gough and the Hornet Knight who's name I forgot?

Poor Ciaran, so easily forgotten.

tc farks

Congrats!

That video posted makes me sad I didn't activate the Siegmeyer of Catarina appearances.

In my 1st playthrough, I talked to him before ringing both bells, but when I lost that save due to corruption and started over...I forgot all about him. Then I did NG+ and forgot again. NG++? One day.

Has anyone seen this?

Dark Souls Theatrical Trailer

Awesome.

haha awesome dark hand action at 1:46 and the end. first time i triggered that animation was gold.

edit: something i found out recently was that if you are trying to defeat the red dragon using melee,
go to the opposite side of the bridge from where you come up the stairs from bonfire, wiggle against the wall until you pull him down to melee range, and one good whack in the head was enough to kill him :O

Zeth

Finally got around to putting some time into my Strength character. I'm in Anor Londo atm, using a Greataxe +10. I completely messed up and didn't get a drop from either of the Black Knights in Undead Burg/Parish. Now I'm thinking I'll try to get Demon's Greataxe? Basically I'm just looking for STR weapon suggestions. Mainly PvE (unless I'm invaded lol).

edit: realized I have at least two more chances for a Black Knight drop when I return to the Asylum. Also, Darkroot Basin.

maomaoIYP

Finally got around to putting some time into my Strength character. I'm in Anor Londo atm, using a Greataxe +10. I completely messed up and didn't get a drop from either of the Black Knights in Undead Burg/Parish. Now I'm thinking I'll try to get Demon's Greataxe? Basically I'm just looking for STR weapon suggestions. Mainly PvE (unless I'm invaded lol).

edit: realized I have at least two more chances for a Black Knight drop when I return to the Asylum. Also, Darkroot Basin.

Try the giant hammers too. Or the sword that drops from the capra demon. Or dragon's tooth. The sad thing about high str weapons is that most of them are completely worthless in PvP.

i'm a bit of a fan of the large club that the fat guys in blighttown drop. Has an A str bonus and 300 poison damage with a nifty forward leaping sweep on the heavy attack. my str character mainly switching between that at
+14 with buffs, and a lightning zweihander until i get the 50 str required for the super heavy stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
For shits and giggles, I decided to get the uchigatana for my DEX build so I can run around with dual katanas (uchi and Iato). It's fun.

kiun

you can farm endless Black Knights just before the final boss.

krakov

Large club, great club and demon machete all have a damage rating around 640 at +15 with 40 Str. They can also be buffed. Haven't experimented with the heavier weapons yet but I doubt they pull higher numbers. Demons great hammer at 14 is worse than a great club 15 and has a lot more weight.

Update: Demon Greataxe gains S scaling somewhere after +10 and will do around 670 at +15/40 STR. Also can be buffed.

Numpt3

Wow, I just discovered what happens when you throw a lloyd's talisman at a mimic. 100 hours in and this game still surprises me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom