• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Finally got around to putting some time into my Strength character. I'm in Anor Londo atm, using a Greataxe +10. I completely messed up and didn't get a drop from either of the Black Knights in Undead Burg/Parish. Now I'm thinking I'll try to get Demon's Greataxe? Basically I'm just looking for STR weapon suggestions. Mainly PvE (unless I'm invaded lol).

edit: realized I have at least two more chances for a Black Knight drop when I return to the Asylum. Also, Darkroot Basin.

Demon's Great Machete is the heavy strength weapon right now.

Large/Great Clubs are good . . . in that their rolling R1s are excellent. Otherwise, big windup, long recovery. Greatswords just have better movesets than Great Hammers.

maomaoIYP

Demon's Great Machete is the heavy strength weapon right now.

Large/Great Clubs are good . . . in that their rolling R1s are excellent. Otherwise, big windup, long recovery. Greatswords just have better movesets than Great Hammers.

Unfortunately Demon's Great Machete's heavy attack still kind of pales in comparison to the Zweihander's. The greataxes aren't all too shabby, great hammers are all kinds terrible.

elohel

Unfortunately Demon's Great Machete's heavy attack still kind of pales in comparison to the Zweihander's. The greataxes aren't all too shabby, great hammers are all kinds terrible.

what's so great about the Zweihander?

i really don't know anything about it i'm genuinely curious

Dresden

what's so great about the Zweihander?

i really don't know anything about it i'm genuinely curious

It's an awesome elemental weapon, and has a good moveset. Punish, poke, and even a knockdown.

For strength builds it falls behind because it doesn't scale well, though, but a chaos zwei is great.

Sullichin

What's the best STR weapon available in the first half of the game (including Anor Londo)? Started my str+bow dude. Currently switching between the bastard sword and butcher knife. Think I have 26 STR, so I can two hand some heavier stuff. Maybe I'll try to get the man serpent sword.

Dresden

What's the best STR weapon available in the first half of the game (including Anor Londo)? Started my str+bow dude. Currently switching between the bastard sword and butcher knife. Think I have 26 STR, so I can two hand some heavier stuff. Maybe I'll try to get the man serpent sword.

At that strength you can use the large club, zweihander, or you can two-hand the greataxe or great club. The butcher's knife always felt odd for me, it's basically a big axe that's way too heavy for the damage it does.

Sullichin

At that strength you can use the large club, zweihander, or you can two-hand the greataxe or great club. The butcher's knife always felt odd for me, it's basically a big axe that's way too heavy for the damage it does.

Yeah I don't like the butcher knife move set too much. The meat cleaver in Demons Souls is awesome, and has a better move set for sure. It's just one of the only STR scaling weapons I have. I guess I'll try to get the large club, A scaling, poison damage, sounds good to me. Does it have an attack appropriate for narrow spots?

Booshka

Yeah I don't like the butcher knife move set too much. The meat cleaver in Demons Souls is awesome, and has a better move set for sure. It's just one of the only STR scaling weapons I have. I guess I'll try to get the large club, A scaling, poison damage, sounds good to me. Does it have an attack appropriate for narrow spots?

Rolling smash attacks exactly where you are facing, and the one handed R2 is a nice lunging sweep attack that will mess up anything.

Dresden

Beware that the great club, despite having only a B scaling, will always do more damage from what I remember. (Another testament to how much scaling blows in Dark Souls) And Poison just isn't that good.

Their speeds are the same, as well. The three big differences: Large Club weighs less and requires less strength, and its 1hR2 is far more useful than the Great Club's.

Booshka

Beware that the great club, despite having only a B scaling, will always do more damage from what I remember. (Another testament to how much scaling blows in Dark Souls) And Poison just isn't that good.

Their speeds are the same, as well. The three big differences: Large Club weighs less and requires less strength, and its 1hR2 is far more useful than the Great Club's.

The Great Club used to not do more damage than the Large Club, but with 1.05 they gave it A scaling at +11 and beyond, so it will out-damage the Large Club. Large Club does have a better moveset though, and I like switching between it and 2H the Demon Great Machete, I only have to have 27 STR to 2H the DGM and Large Club requires 26 to 1H, so it works out nicely.

Wool

Try the giant hammers too. Or the sword that drops from the capra demon. Or dragon's tooth. The sad thing about high str weapons is that most of them are completely worthless in PvP.

Yes, the great hammers are a lot of fun. The great club is amazing in PvP once you get used to it. If you roll sideways and then do the R1 swing attack you are invulnerable from stuns and you get a huge range of attack. I've won many many fights that way because everyone always goes in for an attack as soon as they see you roll, but since your swing attack starts immediately after the roll they just get hit and you have a chance to back up again. If you get them with a regular hit you can stun-lock pretty well too.

The downside is really that you need to have high poise for the high strength weapons if you PvP with them. It's not the <25% ninja flip type of play style that is so common at the Kiln.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Kind of a noobish question, but as a knight, what stat(s) should i be pouring my level up EXP into? Think im level 17, and i have enough poured into certain ones so i can use Heal, and soul arrow.

Booshka

Kind of a noobish question, but as a knight, what stat(s) should i be pouring my level up EXP into? Think im level 17, and i have enough poured into certain ones so i can use Heal, and soul arrow.

I would stop leveling Intelligence and focus on Faith, Endurance, Vitality, and Strength. I don't suggest leveling both Faith and Intelligence, because you will be spread too thin and not have enough points to get your Vitality and Endurance higher, which is what playing Knight is all about.

Sullichin

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get both clubs, DGM, BKGA, and see which I like best. Don't even know if I'm going to PVP with this guy, I just wanna use weapons I haven't before. Eh who am I kidding i'll probably PVP.

If you want to make your soul arrow and future spells you'll buy do more damage, upgrade INT, but you won't do an insane amount of damage with beginner spells no matter what. So maybe don't bother with that unless you plan on getting better spells and having more of a magic based character. You can upgrade FAI to meet the minimum requirements of the miracles you want like Heal. hard to say without knowing your play style. What weapons do you use? If you use the pyromancy glove, it's worth noting that pyromancy does not scale with any stat, you upgrade the glove itself.

VIT and END are always good to upgrade. END especially really.

Booshka

Why do Blue Eye Orb invasions always fail? It really sucks that I can't get any good invasions without being a damn Darkwraith, or I can just camp PvP areas as a Human, but then that pisses people off too. Covenants in this game need some serious retooling.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why do Blue Eye Orb invasions always fail? It really sucks that I can't get any good invasions without being a damn Darkwraith, or I can just camp PvP areas as a Human, but then that pisses people off too. Covenants in this game need some serious retooling.

I had a pretty good success rate in the archives a few nights back. Otherwise...yeah.

But yeah. There are lots of good/interesting ideas with covenants, but there's a lot that could be improved upon.

Gravelording sounds dope as fuck. If only it worked.

Sullichin

If it's a 100% drop it's only if you don't already have it since I didn't get mine from the archives my last playthrough.

Not so sure about the 100% drop either, most of my characters have been to Dukes post 1.05 and I only have the headpiece on one. Maybe I avoided that particular mimic altogether though.

And yeah I wish covenants worked as well as they're supposed to. at least co-opping is easier after the patch. But i REALLY wish gravelording worked. Sounds so cool, and would bring back the nasty phantom enemies from Demon's Souls.

Booshka

I had a pretty good success rate in the archives a few nights back. Otherwise...yeah.

But yeah. There are lots of good/interesting ideas with covenants, but there's a lot that could be improved upon.

Yea, I invaded the same Gravelord three times in Anor Londo and kept killing him with my level 60 DGM character, he got real upset at me because he was losing all of his Eyes of Death, and he couldn't easily farm them. He had to keep S&O alive in order to Gravelord there, so getting to the Depths to farm was a long trek. I felt bad, and told him I would enter his game again and drop him some Eyes of Death and other supplies. He was grateful, but I feel bad that the unique Covenants barely work and most people won't even try them.

mxgt

Banned

I've had quite a lot of success gravelording in the popular PvP areas. I even got a lot of bites in the Depths when I tried it.

What's annoying though is farming eyes of death is a pain in the ass. Why can't Gravelords get a permanent item ;_;

Booshka

Definitely not 100% on mimics headpiece, its high though. Had to use a couple of Talismans to get it.

It's been 100% for me ever since the patch, just make sure you kill both of the Mimic chests in Duke's Archives and you should get it. I usually get it from the one that drops the Enchanted Falchion, but sometimes I get it from the one that drops the Crystal Knight Shield.

I've never done the Lloyd's Talisman trick either.

It's been 100% for me ever since the patch, just make sure you kill both of the Mimic chests in Duke's Archives and you should get it. I usually get it from the one that drops the Enchanted Falchion, but sometimes I get it from the one that drops the Crystal Knight Shield.

I've never done the Lloyd's Talisman trick either.

i got it from the one right before you head outside to go to the crystal cave. im no expert on the game and havent been checking faqs or wikis so i didnt even know i was supposed to be trying for it.

Booshka

My 3 playtroughs after the patch, it always dropped on one of the mimics on the last part of the archives.

I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with Fang Boar Helm, one of the three Boars in the game is guaranteed to drop it. Sometimes you get lucky and the one in Undead Parish drops it, usually you have to wait until Duke's Archives though.

krakov

Yea, I invaded the same Gravelord three times in Anor Londo and kept killing him with my level 60 DGM character, he got real upset at me because he was losing all of his Eyes of Death, and he couldn't easily farm them. He had to keep S&O alive in order to Gravelord there, so getting to the Depths to farm was a long trek. I felt bad, and told him I would enter his game again and drop him some Eyes of Death and other supplies. He was grateful, but I feel bad that the unique Covenants barely work and most people won't even try them.

You can at least defend yourself in Anor Londo. Trying it any earlier than that is pretty much suicide though. I loaded up an old gravelord to try and be part of the weekend gravelord event but after loosing all my humanity and most of my eyes in about 30 minutes I gave up. At that part you may as well start a new character unless you move your gravelording to a later location.

I'm level 41 with a total time nearing 28 hours full of dying, farming and adventuring. Cleared the gargoyles, Capra demon, moonlight butterfly, gaping dragon and some mini bosses. I basically view this as one of the best games I've ever played.

Couple questions: how do I use my magic soul sword? And what exactly did divining my sword do? Lowered my attack dmg that's for sure.

Booshka

I'm level 41 with a total time nearing 28 hours full of dying, farming and adventuring. Cleared the gargoyles, Capra demon, moonlight butterfly, gaping dragon and some mini bosses. I basically view this as one of the best games I've ever played.

Couple questions: how do I use my magic soul sword? And what exactly did divining my sword do? Lowered my attack dmg that's for sure.

Not sure what you mean by magic soul sword, but Divine is just an upgrade path you can go, it takes away some physical damage, and adds magic damage, that scales with your Faith Stat. If your Faith is low, don't bother with it and just proceed to Normal reinforcement.

I am starting to believe that I'm not playing this game correctly. I am currently level 37 or 38, I'm not sure which, and I am at the very end of Blighttown right now. But my issue is I am still in my starting armor, other than the swamp area as I used the Shadow Armor for the increased poison defense. I haven't found anything that beats my current armor yet, is this normal? I also have not found anything better than my Drake Sword that I got extremely early, I have been finding upgrades to my shield but nothing else (I currently have a spiked shield).

If it helps any I have been following the Dark souls progress guide
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route

Maybe I'm just missing something

Leezard

I am starting to believe that I'm not playing this game correctly. I am currently level 37 or 38, I'm not sure which, and I am at the very end of Blighttown right now. But my issue is I am still in my starting armor, other than the swamp area as I used the Shadow Armor for the increased poison defense. I haven't found anything that beats my current armor yet, is this normal? I also have not found anything better than my Drake Sword that I got extremely early, I have been finding upgrades to my shield but nothing else (I currently have a spiked shield).

If it helps any I have been following the Dark souls progress guide
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route

Maybe I'm just missing something

Upgrade weapons/armor. You will find better armor in the Dark Root Garden and Sen's Fortress and later areas.

Leezard

I've upgraded my armor to +2 mostly and my chest piece is +3. Should I upgrade them any further or save those shards for the new armor I will find?

Shards are common, use them as you like. The starting armor for most classes are good enough to get through the game though, if you upgrade them.

Booshka

I've upgraded my armor to +2 mostly and my chest piece is +3. Should I upgrade them any further or save those shards for the new armor I will find?

Don't use Large Titanite Shards yet to upgrade, they are a little harder to come by. What armor are you using? You should try mixing and matching armor pieces to get the best defense to weight ratio. You can farm for Green Titanite Shards and Large Titanite Shards from the Leeches down there in the swamps of Blighttown. The Green shards can be broken down by the Serpent at Firelink, and that is the easiest way to get a ton of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards are the next form of upgrade.

For general advice on weapons and armor, just find stuff you like and has decent stats, upgrade it and tailor your build around it.

DiddyBop

where does one generally find better armor and weapons? im still rocking my elite basic armor and im near soul level 30. do i have to kill NPCs?

also, where is the first bell? ive beaten the depths,undead parish/burg, darkroot garden/basin(havent touched the hydra yet). I feel like i shouldve found it by now.

Grinchy

Banned
also, where is the first bell? ive beaten the depths,undead parish/burg, darkroot garden/basin(havent touched the hydra yet). I feel like i shouldve found it by now.

Holy shit you've done a lot of stuff for not ringing the first bell yet. You know how you get to that first blacksmith? The one that leads you to the forest? Well before going there is a church. At the top of the church is the first bell.

DiddyBop

Ah, is it the same church with that annoying dancing magician that i happily slaughtered? I'm going to start up the game now and ring that bell. Would you recommend I hit up blighttown at my current level? or should i go back to firelink and go down to new londo or whatever its called?

Booshka

Ah, is it the same church with that annoying dancing magician that i happily slaughtered? I'm going to start up the game now and ring that bell. Would you recommend I hit up blighttown at my current level? or should i go back to firelink and go down to new londo or whatever its called?

After you ring the bell on the church, best place to go is down. Blighttown is next on the agenda, and you already completed Depths so you can just run through it and go to the big door that leads to Blighttown.

DiddyBop

After you ring the bell on the church, best place to go is down. Blighttown is next on the agenda, and you already completed Depths so you can just run through it and go to the big door that leads to Blighttown.

thanks. I flirted with blighttown briefly but i found it was taking too long to beat the first enemy you meet. those fat guys. im still only rocking a longsword +2, could you recommend a better sword before i tackle blighttown?

Booshka

thanks. I flirted with blighttown briefly but i found it was taking too long to beat the first enemy you meet. those fat guys. im still only rocking a longsword +2, could you recommend a better sword before i tackle blighttown?

You don't have to kill those guys, you can just run past them. Upgrade that weapon if you like it and it will get better, or buy a better weapon from the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish. You could try going for two really good weapons that are in very precarious areas, but both are worth going for. The Claymore is on the bridge where the Dragon is, you can suicide run grab it if you want, but you have a good chance of making it back to the staircase if you try, and the Zweihander is in the Cemetery right next to Firelink Shrine, you can just sprint and grab either of these weapons, then try to run back to safety, or just die and enjoy your new weapon. From there, just upgrade whichever weapon you want.

Don't use Large Titanite Shards yet to upgrade, they are a little harder to come by. What armor are you using? You should try mixing and matching armor pieces to get the best defense to weight ratio. You can farm for Green Titanite Shards and Large Titanite Shards from the Leeches down there in the swamps of Blighttown. The Green shards can be broken down by the Serpent at Firelink, and that is the easiest way to get a ton of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards are the next form of upgrade.

For general advice on weapons and armor, just find stuff you like and has decent stats, upgrade it and tailor your build around it.

I feel like I haven't changed armor in at least 10+ hours of playing (my current playtime is just under 15 hours). I am currently level 37 and feel like I'm missing something, when I look up some videos of players who are around Blighttown they have entirely different stuff, including magic and some armor that looks way better than what I have (they don't claim to be in a NG+ run). I don't even have any magic that I can use yet, I only have the spells "Power Within" and "Hush" but I cant use either, because of what I can only assume is because of my low Intelligence or I don't have the right item to use them.

To give you more specific information, this is my current equipment.

Head: Gargoyle Helm
Chest: Wanderer Coat +3
I have Leather Armor and Hollow Thief's Leather Armor in my inventory that seem like they could be better if I upgraded them.
Gloves: Wanderer Manchette
Legs: Wanderers Boots +2

Shield: Spiked Shield
Weapon: Drake Sword

Rings: Blue Tearstone Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

I also have a question about the Drake Sword. Do I ever get another weapon after getting this? This weapon seems to be WAY over anything I have gotten yet. With a staggering 200 Physical attack rating it dwarfs everything I own excluding my Dragon King Greataxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom