• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks. I flirted with blighttown briefly but i found it was taking too long to beat the first enemy you meet. those fat guys. im still only rocking a longsword +2, could you recommend a better sword before i tackle blighttown?

You should stop by the Undead Burg and get the Drake Sword from the Wyvern.

EDIT: It's been a hell of a night in New Londo. I forget to wear my ring before fighting Four Kings and die. Get summoned by another guy and he forgot to wear his ring and he dies. With the third guy, it was all good until I jumped down, fell on ledge, and died....

I feel like I haven't changed armor in at least 10+ hours of playing (my current playtime is just under 15 hours). I am currently level 37 and feel like I'm missing something, when I look up some videos of players who are around Blighttown they have entirely different stuff, including magic and some armor that looks way better than what I have (they don't claim to be in a NG+ run). I don't even have any magic that I can use yet, I only have the spells "Power Within" and "Hush" but I cant use either, because of what I can only assume is because of my low Intelligence or I don't have the right item to use them.

To give you more specific information, this is my current equipment.

Head: Gargoyle Helm
Chest: Wanderer Coat +3
I have Leather Armor and Hollow Thief's Leather Armor in my inventory that seem like they could be better if I upgraded them.
Gloves: Wanderer Manchette
Legs: Wanderers Boots +2

Shield: Spiked Shield
Weapon: Drake Sword

Rings: Blue Tearstone Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

I also have a question about the Drake Sword. Do I ever get another weapon after getting this? This weapon seems to be WAY over anything I have gotten yet. With a staggering 200 Physical attack rating it dwarfs everything I own excluding my Dragon King Greataxe.

In addition to this.. Can someone PLEASE tell me that Blighttown is just the worst zone in this game... I cant even get to the boss without being poisoned. I cant get more items to un-poison myself without going all the way through this zone again, and that isn't going to happen..

Dresden

In addition to this.. Can someone PLEASE tell me that Blighttown is just the worst zone in this game... I cant even get to the boss without being poisoned. I cant get more items to un-poison myself without going all the way through this zone again, and that isn't going to happen..

Yo, unlock the shortcut up the waterwheel near the back. Gets you back to Firelink in like two minutes.

As for your weapon, upgrade something you like using! That's about it. The Drake Sword never scales with your stats so it quickly becomes obsolete (Blighttown is about as far as it'll go). As for your armor and such, post your endurance, strength, and dexterity so we can figure out the best possible setup for you along with where to get it.

Booshka

Wanderer Coat at +9 or +10 (if you want to commit a slab) has great defense to weight ratio, it doesn't offer any poise, but you can put on heavy armor gauntlets or leggings to supplement poise. I would upgrade that Coat if you like it, and then look for some heavy gauntlets and leggings (you can get Stone pretty early)

Yo, unlock the shortcut up the waterwheel near the back. Gets you back to Firelink in like two minutes.

As for your weapon, upgrade something you like using! That's about it. The Drake Sword never scales with your stats so it quickly becomes obsolete (Blighttown is about as far as it'll go). As for your armor and such, post your endurance, strength, and dexterity so we can figure out the best possible setup for you along with where to get it.

Is the way back to Firelink through the New Londo Ruins?

My current stats are:
Endurance: 19
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 21

Booshka

Just got 50 Souvenir's of Reprisal, and 25 Slabs from awesome people in Forest PvP. I guess people are glitching Bottomless box or something, this guy traded me 30 chunks for 5 slabs lol. Another guy has like 99 slabs, so he gave me 20. Pretty crazy shit going on.

Frank

Yup, there seems to be some BB glitching going around. Including me, just made a new char and parked it in Undead Burg to help the new players. Imagine my (almost) surprise when I turned human and quite a number of the signs were players with a lot of flashy items and weapons.

Makes for interesting moments, like the one where I was helping a fellow go from Sunlight Altar to the Gargoyles and he got invaded in the church. A quick and dirty fight followed, I manage to trim down the invader's HP to just a sliver, but he's got high poise for my Longsword and swings his Claymore through my attacks, and kills me in 1hit. Summoner chimes in, and manges to hit the invader while the invader was swinging again to hit the incoming summoner. And they kill each other, while I was busy dying right next to them.

edit/
In the same time, it's good fun to be summoned in the Burg by someone who knows his way around, and then go directly to fight Havel :) Pingponging Havel between two players focused on backstabbing him, I'd sometimes like to know what's going through his head.

Fuck this game. In sort of a good way.

Learned that I actually ate the first Fire Keeper's Soul I got, instead of using it to upgrade flasks. The text on the item isn't clear.

Also stuck at the twin gargoyles. I'm a pyromancer and the cast delay on the fireball really makes it very difficult, if not impossible to get off without being hit.

Otherwise I just have a shield and an okay morningstar that I upgraded twice.

Really would prefer some other weapon, but it had the best stats out of all the things I had acquired to begin with, and now is definitely so with the upgrades. I have a few other things that may be upgrades, but I didn't have the stats to wield them properly.

Can't go down either since the crippled lightning demon was also kicking my ass.

The other thing that sucks is that there's not compare button when looking at merchants to see if the gear is better than what you have equipped (unless I'm missing it somehow and someone can enlighten me.) You just have to go back and remember stats manually (or write them down.) Really archaic.

krakov

Just got 50 Souvenir's of Reprisal, and 25 Slabs from awesome people in Forest PvP. I guess people are glitching Bottomless box or something, this guy traded me 30 chunks for 5 slabs lol. Another guy has like 99 slabs, so he gave me 20. Pretty crazy shit going on.

There is a lot of hacked saves on 360. Got 20 divine blessings from a random darkwraith once when I was gravelording. He was also SL 1 and onehanded a Murakumo.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls has amazing voice acting.
It really, really does. Coupled with nice writing, it all sounds so mature.

Fanciful characters with strong story ties ( or rich accents (like Andre) don't sound overdone or cliched, while even the more 'down-to-earth' characters (like Rickert) are voiced pretty much perfectly. Adds such a great deal to the atmosphere and setting.

My favourite: Laurentius
Runner-up: Siegmeyer
Not so fond of: Shiva

I've gone up the ladders near the waterwheel, killed about 5 fat guys in a tunnel and come out to a narrow bridge, then a gate that is locked. Is that the shortcut? How do I open that gate?

Leezard

I've gone up the ladders near the waterwheel, killed about 5 fat guys in a tunnel and come out to a narrow bridge, then a gate that is locked. Is that the shortcut? How do I open that gate?

There's a key to be found in a chest right before the tunnel, near the last ladder you climb up.

Diomedes

Was finishing Lost Izalith last night and got to
Siegmeyer
, he swore to repay his debts and jumped into the pit. I guess I followed too quickly but they all turned and shot me with goo then I died while he was fighting, hoped that he would survive but made it back to find only his drops Q.Q, that feel.

Not sure what you mean by magic soul sword, but Divine is just an upgrade path you can go, it takes away some physical damage, and adds magic damage, that scales with your Faith Stat. If your Faith is low, don't bother with it and just proceed to Normal reinforcement.
I have something called a magic weapon with 5 uses but have no idea how to use it. It's a sword wrapped in blue flames in my magic slot (up on d-pad).

Sullichin

I have something called a magic weapon with 5 uses but have no idea how to use it. It's a sword wrapped in blue flames in my magic slot (up on d-pad).

This is a spell that adds magic damage to your right hand equipped weapon.
You need your catalyst to be in your left hand, and your weapon in your right hand for you to use it. It only works on weapons that can be enchanted. Divine/Lightning/Fire/Chaos/Occult weapons can't be enchanted. Either can the Drake Sword and other certain weapons.

Zeth

I'm level 50 and still using a spider shield, I really need a replacement that isn't super heavy. (have Giant Shield but it overburdens my normal setup).

Got the Demon Great Machette which I'm working on upgrading. Which would be more efficient: farming souls in forest to buy large shards from crestfallen merchant , or farming the shards from slimes with mainly melee? I should take it to +15 for STR build right?

I've been using mostly Silver (Knight?) Armor from Anor Londo, but I think I need to upgrade. What should I go for next, Smough's armor?

Sorry for the list of questions. I love this game so much.

elohel

I'm level 50 and still using a spider shield, I really need a replacement that isn't super heavy. (have Giant Shield but it overburdens my normal setup).

Got the Demon Great Machette which I'm working on upgrading. Which would be more efficient: farming souls in forest to buy large shards from crestfallen merchant , or farming the shards from slimes with mainly melee? I should take it to +15 for STR build right?

I've been using mostly Silver (Knight?) Armor from Anor Londo, but I think I need to upgrade. What should I go for next, Smough's armor?

Sorry for the list of questions. I love this game so much.

eagle shield is dope as hell

don't worry bout asking questions, that's one of the best parts of being in the dark souls/demons souls community is discovering things through other player's experiences

eagle shield is dope as hell

don't worry bout asking questions, that's one of the best parts of being in the dark souls/demons souls community is discovering things through other player's experiences

i agree with this. the eagle shield is a serious game changer, maybe to the point of being overpowered.

It really, really does. Coupled with nice writing, it all sounds so mature.

Fanciful characters with strong story ties ( or rich accents (like Andre) don't sound overdone or cliched, while even the more 'down-to-earth' characters (like Rickert) are voiced pretty much perfectly. Adds such a great deal to the atmosphere and setting.

My favourite: Laurentius
Runner-up: Siegmeyer
Not so fond of: Shiva

Is Laurentius the pyromancy guy? He's the only legitimately cool dude I came across in this game. Everyone else is kind of weird and crazy.

Sullichin

i agree with this. the eagle shield is a serious game changer, maybe to the point of being overpowered.

Yeah I'd go with the eagle shield. if you want something that can parry, I like the black knight shield, silver knight shield, and dragoncrest shield. But eagle is pretty light for a greatshield, has low requirements, great stability when upgraded, and good resistances.

So after farming the trolls at the valley of drakes entrance of blighttown for over an hour trying to get a large club drop for my new STR character, I said fuck it and decided to do the bottomless box glitch for the first time and start over. I feel like I've played and beaten the game enough that I just want to mess around with different builds and weapons I haven't tried without the hassle of farming and such. I had a lot of fun with a legitimate low level run doing co-op and invasions, but I won't be doing that on this character. Feels too cheap.

Anyway, I can now muck around with large club/great club/demons great machete/black knight greataxe/demon's great hammer. Currently sitting at 32STR using the large club trying to get to 40 so I can 1H the DGM and then compare their move sets and see which I should upgrade.

On an unrelated note, for new players that are having a hard time, you've probably heard about the Drake Sword. It's true it will invariably be more powerful than the weapon you're using now. But it WILL become obsolete pretty soon, so at least upgrade a weapon you like in the background until its AR goes over Drake's 200..or don't even bother with it. However, I think a better help for new players is the Ring of Favor and Protection. I recommend this ring to all new players. It boosts stamina, load, and HP, and is available VERY early on. The downside is of course that it breaks when you remove it - and getting it early means you'll miss a cool invasion quest way down the line - but you'll probably miss a bunch of stuff your first playthrough. But if you can spare a ring slot for a permanent boost to some really important stats.. it's completely worth it. You won't have to spend as many points on VIT and END early on, so you can put those points into a scaling stat like STR which can increase your AR. Depending on my build I still get it right away.

chunk3rvd

Sullichin - did you go as far as Duke's during your low level run? If so, did you struggle there? I've gone from the depths to the end of Anor Londo and beaten the 4 Kings all at SL34 but I feel like I've hit a wall on arriving here. Should I be thinking about levelling up now? Currently using the following equipment:

Lightning Iato +5 / Queelana Flame +5
Silver Knight Shield +5 / Pharis Bow +14

Elite Knight's +9 with Havel's Helm

Havel & Dark Wood rings

elohel

Yeah I'd go with the eagle shield. if you want something that can parry, I like the black knight shield, silver knight shield, and dragoncrest shield. But eagle is pretty light for a greatshield, has low requirements, great stability when upgraded, and good resistances.

So after farming the trolls at the valley of drakes entrance of blighttown for over an hour trying to get a large club drop for my new STR character, I said fuck it and decided to do the bottomless box glitch for the first time and start over. I feel like I've played and beaten the game enough that I just want to mess around with different builds and weapons I haven't tried without the hassle of farming and such. I had a lot of fun with a legitimate low level run doing co-op and invasions, but I won't be doing that on this character. Feels too cheap.

Anyway, I can now muck around with large club/great club/demons great machete/black knight greataxe/demon's great hammer. Currently sitting at 32STR using the large club trying to get to 40 so I can 1H the DGM and then compare their move sets and see which I should upgrade.

On an unrelated note, for new players that are having a hard time, you've probably heard about the Drake Sword. It's true it will invariably be more powerful than the weapon you're using now. But it WILL become obsolete pretty soon, so at least upgrade a weapon you like in the background until its AR goes over Drake's 200..or don't even bother with it. However, I think a better help for new players is the Ring of Favor and Protection. I recommend this ring to all new players. It boosts stamina, load, and HP, and is available VERY early on. The downside is of course that it breaks when you remove it - and getting it early means you'll miss a cool invasion quest way down the line - but you'll probably miss a bunch of stuff your first playthrough. But if you can spare a ring slot for a permanent boost to some really important stats.. it's completely worth it. You won't have to spend as many points on VIT and END early on, so you can put those points into a scaling stat like STR which can increase your AR. Depending on my build I still get it right away.

which invasion quest?

Sullichin

Sullichin - did you go as far as Duke's during your low level run? If so, did you struggle there? I've gone from the depths to the end of Anor Londo and beaten the 4 Kings all at SL34 but I feel like I've hit a wall on arriving here. Should I be thinking about levelling up now? Currently using the following equipment:

Lightning Iato +5 / Queelana Flame +5
Silver Knight Shield +5 / Pharis Bow +14

Elite Knight's +9 with Havel's Helm

Havel & Dark Wood rings

I haven't done Dukes yet, did 4K, AL, and TOG though. That character is level 15. I switch between elite knight and ornsteins with gold hemmed skirt to stay under weight limit, and used havel's for certain parts like 4K. FAP & Dark Wood Ring, fire uchigatana +5(didn't get the large flame ember yet)/lightning shotel+4, silver knight shield, queelana flame+5. Similar setup to yours.

which invasion quest?

Looks like chunk3rvd answered you but.. is your PSN id something like el_oh_el? If so, I think I got summoned into your world earlier. In the depths I think?

elohel

I haven't done Dukes yet, did 4K, AL, and TOG though. That character is level 15. I switch between elite knight and ornsteins with gold hemmed skirt to stay under weight limit, and used havel's for certain parts like 4K. FAP & Dark Wood Ring, fire uchigatana +5(didn't get the large flame ember yet)/lightning shotel+4, silver knight shield, queelana flame+5. Similar setup to yours.

Looks like chunk3rvd answered you but.. is your PSN id something like el_oh_el? If so, I think I got summoned into your world earlier. In the depths I think?

my psn id is elohel without the underscores

i remember that quest now, wasn't sure if there was another one

After finishing Blight town where should I head to next? The Dark Souls Wiki suggests Sen's Fortress, but the lizard men and the lightning attacks are brutal and I'm not sure how far I can make it into this level. What are my options at this point? I should also say that the Drake's Valley is also absolutely destroying me, I can barely get a drake down before it ruins me.

Here is the guide I've been following: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Lizard men are easy to backstab. Failing that, a lot of them are in positions where you can use traps against them.

Or you could grind leeches in lower Blighttown to pump up your gear or farm souls from the NPC guardians in the forest.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I just deleted my bottomless box character by accident that had all the boss souls I needed for the achievements, and all my decent equipment.

I am cry.

Lizard men are easy to backstab. Failing that, a lot of them are in positions where you can use traps against them.

Or you could grind leeches in lower Blighttown to pump up your gear or farm souls from the NPC guardians in the forest.

Thanks I totally forgot about backstabs.. That helps a ton. My problem now is the lizard-men who are shooting lightning at me on bridges. I tried shooting them with my bow, but he disappears after about 4-5 shots. I think its a glitch, and I can not get through that bridge because If I get hit I will be pushed back into a trap which knocks me off.

sleepykyo

How does parrying work? Not the actual mechanic, but the numbers for what can be parried. Someone just parried my 777 lighting great axe with some sort of curved blade on his offhand (not the parrying dagger). It lead to a 3 hit animation axe riposte that did 1400+ on fully upgraded heavy black iron armor.

chunk3rvd

After finishing Blight town where should I head to next? The Dark Souls Wiki suggests Sen's Fortress, but the lizard men and the lightning attacks are brutal and I'm not sure how far I can make it into this level. What are my options at this point? I should also say that the Drake's Valley is also absolutely destroying me, I can barely get a drake down before it ruins me.

Here is the guide I've been following: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route

Something I never see mentioned - up to Sen's Fortress everyone suggests the Drake Sword and then the Lightning Spear as great starter weapons. Just before I got to Sen's I created a Divine Halberd +5 with some green shards I had from the depths and the help of Andre. With only 8 faith it massively outpaced the Drake Sword and I was disappointed when I eventually got the much hyped Lightning Spear and it wasn't as strong as my Halberd. Just thought it would be a good tip for anyone struggling with the early stages of the game

malfcn

Killed the Scaless Dragon on my first go. Where are the other souls for the lord vessel?

I didn't find the ninja or anti-poison garb in Blight. Or how to get past the gate near the Bonfire. The size of this game is boggling. And some how missed Upper Blight.

Pinwheel was dissapointing.

Just beat the game. It took me just under 80 hours. I have to say that this is one of the best games I've ever played. It's just an absolute joy to play.

malfcn

I am at 94 hours, lvl 83 and have no idea how much longer. One soul in the vessel and kind of lost. Will read the suggestion above and maybe wiki a bit. Have had my ups and downs with this game.

Killed the Scaless Dragon on my first go. Where are the other souls for the lord vessel?

I didn't find the ninja or anti-poison garb in Blight. Or how to get past the gate near the Bonfire. The size of this game is boggling. And some how missed Upper Blight.

Pinwheel was dissapointing.

ninja and anti-poison garb are the same thing, no? and its in upper blight, so that makes sense.

i agree the size of the game is incredible. it has to be twice the size of demons souls, no?

Can we take a moment to appreciate how awesome the Elite Knight is?

o866720.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im using a Knight...can someone tell me where i can find a bow near the beginning of the game? I have the crossbow from jumping to that one ledge, but i want an actual bow so i can get some arrows and try to kill that dragon

Im using a Knight...can someone tell me where i can find a bow near the beginning of the game? I have the crossbow from jumping to that one ledge, but i want an actual bow so i can get some arrows and try to kill that dragon

Darkroot Basin, after the parish blacksmith, past the prowler, make that first right - first loot you see (past the lizard) includes the Longbow.

Just before I got to Sen's I created a Divine Halberd +5 with some green shards I had from the depths and the help of Andre. With only 8 faith it massively outpaced the Drake Sword and I was disappointed when I eventually got the much hyped Lightning Spear and it wasn't as strong as my Halberd.

This is a good idea, I really like how spears work in this game. But I want to know why I still stagger when using a Halberd. My current stats are Endurance - 24, Strength - 20, Dexterity - 23.

I just don't see how I am still not able to use this weapon effectively.

quick edit: I also have this problem with axes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom