• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

Woo killed the capra demon! Thanks for the tips guys.

One of the dogs got stuck near the entrance so it made it slighty easier. But like all bosses so far they seem so easily to kill once you do it right :D

Booshka

Also the item burden. Screw that! I picked up this awesome, but very heavy armor, that I couldn't really use yet but obviously wanted to keep for later. If I left the level and came back it would be gone forever. But I have to drop almost everything i have to fit it all (I believe this was before I got that one ring that increased this stat). The open world nature of Dark Souls would have made this even more annoying.

Demon's Great Machete is awesome. I have it at +10 and I'm having some fun in the forest. I'm currently working on getting my DEX up to use the black knight greataxe. Should I bother taking my strength to 50?

No, I would leave it at 40 if that is where you are at, the 40-50 scaling isn't worth it, and those 10 points could be better used elsewhere.

Sullichin

No, I would leave it at 40 if that is where you are at, the 40-50 scaling isn't worth it, and those 10 points could be better used elsewhere.

I brought it up to 42, but then I switched to leveling DEX so I could use the black knight greataxe. This weapon is awesome too! Now i'm wondering if if it would be at all worth it to pump more into DEX. With puny E for dex scaling, probably not. I should just put a ton more into VIT and END.

Booshka

I brought it up to 42, but then I switched to leveling DEX so I could use the black knight greataxe. This weapon is awesome too! Now i'm wondering if if it would be at all worth it to pump more into DEX. With puny E for dex scaling, probably not. I should just put a ton more into VIT and END.

Ya just have the minimum of 18 Dex for BKGA, or put Dex to 20 if you wanna troll with Dragonslayer Bow, otherwise, VIT (up to 50) and END (up to 40) is the way to go.

Jubs

I've seen youtube vids of people having 2-3 charges of sunlight blade. How did they get that many charges? I only have one.

Rapstah

Oh god, the ghosts in the marsh place...

tumblr_lkbk1rThBl1qdo7yb.jpg

I have never been this thematically scared of a place in any game ever. I know exactly what is coming up, I can predict every single ghost, I know their patterns, but it is so fucking scary and themeful. I wish the framerate didn't suck, but shit.

Sullichin

Ya just have the minimum of 18 Dex for BKGA, or put Dex to 20 if you wanna troll with Dragonslayer Bow, otherwise, VIT (up to 50) and END (up to 40) is the way to go.

I think I'll do that. I shouldn't have trouble being summoned at a white phantom in the forest at higher levels right? I'm 64 now and getting summoned quickly. Already killed Sif. Man BKGA+5 just decimates.

Dresden

I think I'll do that. I shouldn't have trouble being summoned at a white phantom in the forest at higher levels right? I'm 64 now and getting summoned quickly. Already killed Sif. Man BKGA+5 just decimates.

Yeah, no level limit on the forest.

BKGA is an awesome weapon, the two-handed swings are insane. At least until some parry whiz comes along but that's so rare.

Booshka

I've seen youtube vids of people having 2-3 charges of sunlight blade. How did they get that many charges? I only have one.

NG+'s, you can keep getting the spell on every subsequent playthrough.

Sullichin said:

You'll be fine at forest, it is active at pretty much every level. I even got on a level 261 character and saw summon signs.

Booshka

Is it like that for every spell? Like, I can buy the same spell in a new game+, and it'll add to the charges?

The only exception is covenant reward spells, those you can only get once per character. So you will commonly see 2-3 sunlight blade charges, then one Darkmoon blade charge.

BKGA is almost game breaking, at least on NG. Used the BB glitch to start a new character and was killing many bosses in 2-3 hits. Even Smough and Ornstein couldn't take too many hits with that. Strongest weapon in the game AFAIK.

Booshka

BKGA is almost game breaking, at least on NG. Used the BB glitch to start a new character and was killing many bosses in 2-3 hits. Even Smough and Ornstein couldn't take too many hits with that. Strongest weapon in the game AFAIK.

Yea it is, the speed and moveset, with the damage it offers, is unrivaled. Maybe a max scaled True Greatsword of Artorias on a level 500 character is better, but other than that, it is unstoppable.

Zeth

Got my STR to 40 and my Demon Great Machette to +10. Now I need the Very Large Ember (New Londo right?). Is there any prerequisites for going there to get it?

Also only have 5 Titanite Chunks at the moment. Guess I should look into those as well. Hopefully there are a couple of easy sources I haven't found. Already got every lizard in the great hollow (I think).

Booshka

Got my STR to 40 and my Demon Great Machette to +10. Now I need the Very Large Ember (New Londo right?). Is there any prerequisites for going there to get it?

Also only have 5 Titanite Chunks at the moment. Guess I should look into those as well. Hopefully there are a couple of easy sources I haven't found. Already got every lizard in the great hollow (I think).

You need to
drain
New Londo Ruins to get the Very Large Ember. You will need to talk to someone who will give you a key to do this. If you have the Lordvessel, he will give it to you, if not, you can kill him and get it that way. The Darkwraiths in that area can be farmed for Chunks (common drop) and Slabs (very rare drop) there are also some guaranteed Chunks in Chests down there as well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Whats the BKGA? I'm leveling up my Raw Sever, it seems to do some nice damage. Also I have a lightning halberd that seems to do well.

Armorwise, I really don't know what to wear. Havel's armor is too clunky, even with his ring. The Silver knight stuff is not bad, but I hate the helmet.

I have the New Londo Ruins/Abyss, Lost Isalyth and the Tomb of Giants left. My character's main stats are Vit=39, Str=32, Dex= 33 End 30. What should I work on now?

Booshka

Whats the BKGA? I'm leveling up my Raw Sever, it seems to do some nice damage. Also I have a lightning halberd that seems to do well.

Armorwise, I really don't know what to wear. Havel's armor is too clunky, even with his ring. The Silver knight stuff is not bad, but I hate the helmet.

I have the New Londo Ruins/Abyss, Lost Isalyth and the Tomb of Giants left. My character's main stats are Vit=39, Str=32, Dex= 33 End 30. What should I work on now?
OT: Holy fucking Condit Field Goal choke.

Black Knight Great Axe is what we are talking about.

Take your Endurance to 40.

Silver Knight chestpiece is ballin cause of the cape. What I used for the last 3rd of the game was the chestpiece and gloves, Gold Hemmed Hood, and Ornstein's Leggings. I wish the superior looking Black Knight counterpart had a black cape.

I am finally getting around to playing(Damn you Skyrim!) and am having a hard time choosing who to be. In DS I played as a knight/archer dude and found that to be pretty dang enjoyable. What do you guys recommend? How are the magic dudes?

Anor Londo is infuriating. I've tried about 20 times to get past the part where I need to run up the narrowest bridge in this game while two archers shoot at you with bows that knock you off it they hit you. This part is 100x worse than the whole of Blighttown for me. I can't get past this; ive tried everything from just dashing to the top and shield-bashing one of the archers to moving slowly and rolling out of the way of any arrow that comes near me.

Booshka

I am finally getting around to playing(Damn you Skyrim!) and am having a hard time choosing who to be. In DS I played as a knight/archer dude and found that to be pretty dang enjoyable. What do you guys recommend? How are the magic dudes?

I prefer Melee, and if you want a mix of melee and archery, Warrior class is the way to go, you will be able to wield most weapons and almost all bows right from the start of the game.

You could also try Wanderer or Hunter if you like, they have similar stats, but are spec'd a little more toward Dexterity rather than Strength like the Warrior is.

MutantCyborg said:
Anor Londo is infuriating. I've tried about 20 times to get past the part where I need to run up the narrowest bridge in this game while two archers shoot at you with bows that knock you off it they hit you. This part is 100x worse than the whole of Blighttown for me. I can't get past this; ive tried everything from just dashing to the top and shield-bashing one of the archers to moving slowly and rolling out of the way of any arrow that comes near me.
You can try shooting Poison Arrows at them and then wait 5 minutes until they die. Or you can rush the archer on the right, avoid his arrow then get real close to him so he draws his sword, from there you can parry and riposte or block until he knocks himself off the ledge.

You can try shooting Poison Arrows at them and then wait 5 minutes until they die. Or you can rush the archer on the right, avoid his arrow then get real close to him so he draws his sword, from there you can parry and riposte or block until he knocks himself off the ledge.

My problem is that neither of the archers switch to their swords, I've gone toe-to-toe with them and they just sit there and fire arrows at me until they knock me off. I guess I need to go back and get some poison arrows...

oh wow... I need to go that far back >.>

Booshka

My problem is that neither of the archers switch to their swords, I've gone toe-to-toe with them and they just sit there and fire arrows at me until they knock me off. I guess I need to go back and get some poison arrows...

oh wow... I need to go that far back >.>

If you are on 360 I can help, I have a level 60, if you are around that level.

malfcn

I only recently started kindling and running around in human form after Anor Londo. Did I miss much in terms of human or ai invaders?

Inversive

I always think you should choose melee first in these games. You will get better at the game faster imo than just standing back flinging spells. My first character was a 2handed beefcake called Krom, it was insanely fun as you can get a good 2h weapon right at the start if you do a suicide (i didn't die though :p) run through the graveyard at the start of the game.

Booshka

I only recently started kindling and running around in human form after Anor Londo. Did I miss much in terms of human or ai invaders?

Yes unfortunately, the majority of the online interaction in this game is before you get the Lordvessel. It's par for the course though, I was undead most of my first playthrough, they have made it easier to maintain human form since the patch, and it is always worth it to be human. Even if you are getting ganked by invaders, you can always throw your summon sign down as hollow if you need humanity and souls.

Question about Knight's Honor trophy: As far as I understand one character just has to hold every item, right? If I upgrade a spear to +10, turn it into a dragonslayer spear, then revert it back to plus 10, then turn it into a moonlight butterfly horn, would that count?

krakov

Question about Knight's Honor trophy: As far as I understand one character just has to hold every item, right? If I upgrade a spear to +10, turn it into a dragonslayer spear, then revert it back to plus 10, then turn it into a moonlight butterfly horn, would that count?

That would not work, you need to have all the items in your inventory at the same time.

Booshka

Not sure about that one, I do know one character has to have all the items, but that reverting idea sounds good, but I don't think it will work. It's not too hard to just upgrade another weapon to +10 anyway, Shards and Large Shards are easy to come by.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the
Taurus Demon
boss fight at the beginning. I'm awful at the game but I finally did it and it felt awesome finally taking it down. I've put about 4 hours into the game since I got it yesterday and I can't wait to see what else it offers and hopefully I get better at it ... because right now I'm pretty shitty.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just beat the
Taurus Demon
boss fight at the beginning. I'm awful at the game but I finally did it and it felt awesome finally taking it down. I've put about 4 hours into the game since I got it yesterday and I can't wait to see what else it offers and hopefully I get better at it ... because right now I'm pretty shitty.

Enjoy, aside from gears it's the best game this year.

Zeth

You need to
drain
New Londo Ruins to get the Very Large Ember. You will need to talk to someone who will give you a key to do this. If you have the Lordvessel, he will give it to you, if not, you can kill him and get it that way. The Darkwraiths in that area can be farmed for Chunks (common drop) and Slabs (very rare drop) there are also some guaranteed Chunks in Chests down there as well.

Can I just head to New Londo and hack through it or should I do some research?

Edit: have to drain it first.

Is this at all possible without a cursed weapon, or should I work on that?

elohel

Can I just head to New Londo and hack through it or should I do some research?

Edit: have to drain it first.

Is this at all possible without a cursed weapon, or should I work on that?

you don't have to have a cursed weapon to do new londo or w/e you just need some transient curse

or you could go curse yourself lol and just go do that section and not have to worry about a weapon or consumable, but your life would be cut in half obviously

if that's what you meant

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I remember being terrified of Anor Londo before I got there and it really wasn't that bad. The giants are easy to cheese when you know where their trigger points are, the silver knights were not as tough as the black nights. Orensten and Smough were fucking hard but I summoned two phantoms and that took care of that. Blighttown was much harder due to the vertical nature of the stage.

Also, do I want to save
Solaire
? Seems like a lot of trouble.

If you are on 360 I can help, I have a level 60, if you are around that level.

I did what you suggested and went to get poison arrows and I was able to get past that part. Thank you though.

I have a question about
invading Lautrec's world. Since you can not heal, what are you supposed to do?
I was going after the spellcaster first because he was the only one hitting me but, he eventually killed me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I did what you suggested and went to get poison arrows and I was able to get past that part. Thank you though.

I have a question about
I was going after the spellcaster first because he was the only one hitting me but, he eventually killed me.

Run up and down the steps (in a circle around the room). The caster and Lautrec are the fastest so you should get a few hits on one of them before the rest catch up. When they do, start running (heal if needed when you get some separation) and repeat. The caster dies the easiet and Lautrec is not that hard, but they'll kill you quick if its all 3

Run up and down the steps (in a circle around the room). The caster and Lautrec are the fastest so you should get a few hits on one of them before the rest catch up. When they do, start running (heal if needed when you get some separation) and repeat. The caster dies the easiet and Lautrec is not that hard, but they'll kill you quick if its all 3

How do you heal at this stage? I cant use my flasks when I am in there.

Booshka

I have a question about

When you are a phantom in another player's world, be it as invader or co-op phantom, you can heal with Miracle Spells, Divine Blessings, and Humanity. The host can also heal you with his Estus Flask. For the fight against, don't be afraid to use a Humanity to heal, Lautrec drops five humanity after you kill him, so you get more than you will use.

Also, just built a pretty perfect level 130 STR/Faith build for DGM.

Vitality 45
Attunement 23
Endurance 40
Strength 27
Dexterity 8
Resistance 11
Intelligence 8
Faith 50

For gear, I am using a Demon Great Machete +15, and Crystal DGM +5 for invasions, Giant Helm, Leggings, and Gauntlets all at +5 for 56 Poise, Big Hat Logan's Sage Robe at +5 and the Darkmoon Talisman in my left hand. The equip load is perfect at 48.0/96.0 with Ring of Favor and Flip ring. Starting class is Cleric. If I feel like using a Large Club, I can add a Balder Shield and a Light Crossbow as well.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Chilled in NG+ Burg for a while today doing PVP. Killed so many <lvl30 ppl wearing Havel's gear and tweaked out weapons and shit that it was kind of ridiculous.

I don't get what the appeal in picking on newbies is.

Booshka

Chilled in NG+ Burg for a while today doing PVP. Killed so many <lvl30 ppl wearing Havel's gear and tweaked out weapons and shit that it was kind of ridiculous.

I don't get what the appeal in picking on newbies is.

I need to start leaving Taurus Demon alive, you can avoid him with Master Key anyway, and the Undead Burg has a lot of invasions and high level Red Soapstone PvP. It's also a really cool place to fight.

Booshka

That is pretty cool, seems like you need a bit of HP to make the fall though. You can also do some interesting things by leaving mid level fog walls. Especially in regards to invasions, as it may be possible to completely lock out the invader from reaching you.

fall damage is based on a percentage of your total HP, not a set value.

Sullichin

At what levels do VIT and END max out on, if I'm using RoFaP?

Black Knight Greataxe continues to dominate and make this playthrough a breeze. I've never taken out four kings so quickly, I had to wait like a minute between each of them. Now I'm invading and co-opping in Dukes. Will I ever stop playing this game?

Ahaha you can TwoP me all you want. BKGA reigns supreme. Aaand of course as soon as I say that someone invades me and TWOP/WOG me to death.

Booshka

At what levels do VIT and END max out on, if I'm using RoFaP?

Black Knight Greataxe continues to dominate and make this playthrough a breeze. I've never taken out four kings so quickly, I had to wait like a minute between each of them. Now I'm invading and co-opping in Dukes. Will I ever stop playing this game?

Even with FaP ring, Endurance is worth taking to 40 and Vitality is worth taking to 50, they dont lose their value because you have the ring on. With FaP ring you will have 1800 HP with 50 Vit, 192 stamina and 96.0 equip load at 40 Endurance. Without FaP ring those values would be 1500 and 160/88.0 equip load respectively. I may be wrong on the equip load.

Sullichin

Even with FaP ring, Endurance is worth taking to 40 and Vitality is worth taking to 50, they dont lose their value because you have the ring on. With FaP ring you will have 1800 HP with 50 Vit, 192 stamina and 96.0 equip load at 40 Endurance. Without FaP ring those values would be 1500 and 160/88.0 equip load respectively. I may be wrong on the equip load.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. 1800HP/192 stamina seems nice. MY VIT is only 23 now. I need 37 SLs to make 50VIT/40END happen, and that will leave me at level 109. I suppose I can get another attunement slot if i want to shoot for that arbitrary 120 mark, this character just has great chaos fireball.

Booshka

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. 1800HP/192 stamina seems nice. MY VIT is only 23 now. I need 37 SLs to make 50VIT/40END happen, and that will leave me at level 109. I suppose I can get another attunement slot if i want to shoot for that arbitrary 120 mark, this character just has great chaos fireball.

This is critical for heavy weapons users, it adds at least another attack to your stamina bar.

Without it, I could only attack three times with DGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom