• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Started playing this again for the first time in months.

Got to Seathe, got cursed. Left to get uncursed at the belltower.

Now I can't even get past the first room in the Archives to get back to where I was. Great.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just want to say that even without 'twinking' out a new character or using the Bottomless Box glitch, low level co-op in the Burg is so fun.

After all the pyro story talk earlier, I rolled a pyro tonight, and am trying to keep as low a level as possible throughout, while still remaining helpful to all these fresh faces and fellow fresh rollers.

Had some of the best PvP battles tonight as well - they don't end too quickly (i.e. everyone's not constantly going for back stabs, and you can still survive a couple of them anyway) and the host, phantoms and invader can often go all the way through that little section before reaching a conclusion.

I swear at one point, I must have been summoned into a faceoff with a stubborn invader, died trying to break the stalemate, then got summoned right back into the same fight a couple of minutes later! Don't know why I didn't try doing this before, but I'll be saving these souls for things other than levelling with this character...

On my 4th run through Tomb of the Giants I just discovered the second bonfire for the first time.

I feel like such an idiot.

It's pretty well hidden, to be fair. That said, I would've never found the bonfire in Sen's Fortress if it weren't for other player's remarks.

Sullichin

Just want to say that even without 'twinking' out a new character or using the Bottomless Box glitch, low level co-op in the Burg is so fun.

After all the pyro story talk earlier, I rolled a pyro tonight, and am trying to keep as low a level as possible throughout, while still remaining helpful to all these fresh faces and fellow fresh rollers.

Had some of the best PvP battles tonight as well - they don't end too quickly (i.e. everyone's not constantly going for back stabs, and you can still survive a couple of them anyway) and the host, phantoms and invader can often go all the way through that little section before reaching a conclusion.

I swear at one point, I must have been summoned into a faceoff with a stubborn invader, died trying to break the stalemate, then got summoned right back into the same fight a couple of minutes later! Don't know why I didn't try doing this before, but I'll be saving these souls for things other than levelling with this character...

When I co-op in burg/parish, I spent my souls on purging stones to give the hosts. If you summon me for capra, you're alone, and wearing starter gear, you get a purging stone. If it looks like you've been around the burg a few times, you probably won't get anything. It's not much, but I would have appreciated it when I got cursed the first time.

Gave a host a magic falchion+5 the other day in the forest. He said his character was weak and I saw him using soul arrow so he's probably got some INT. Weapon was of no use to my STR character anyway, and I only had it because of the BB glitch. Forest PVP is my new jam. I kept this character out of invasions for a while because I used BB, but I thought it was fair to darkwraith in Dukes at level 75 for a bit. That was also fun. I'm surprised that there only seems to be one invasion spot there. Got invaded a few times in Demon Ruins, seems more active there than my previous playthroughs. Now I'm on bed of chaos and we know how that goes. LI really isn't a bad level, it gets a lot of hate for how quickly you can get through it, even without the shortcut. It's kinda like the -3 levels of Demons Souls that are just a little bit of level and then a boss, but I guess it is bigger than those. Anyway the problem is that boss not Izalith itself. I've gotten much better at fighting every boss except this piece of shit. I know to be very patient when both sides are blown out, and that I need to consistently block that awful sweeping attack until the moment I precariously drop onto that root. But I still can't beat this fucker in one attempt.

maomaoIYP

Really? Because all I bumped into in the undead burg in NG were tweaked out low level characters with full upgraded armor and lightning weapons. I don't know why they even bother.

I've been doing a lot of darkwraith invasions in the Forest recently, lots of players teaming up with friends masquerading as dark wraiths to get the drop on a real invader. I finally managed to get a lucky shot on this duo that I invaded at least 10 times without a single win, and after my victory I get spammed with rage messages. smh.

MrWisker

I precariously drop onto that root. But I still can't beat this fucker in one attempt.

Oh, I was so close on my last attempt and only died by fire at the top of the root going in for the final kill. I fucking freaked and finally beat this poor excuse of a boss after 4 more attempts.

MrWisker

What would you say is a good SL for PVP in this area? On my last character I stayed fairly low for a while but the pull of the PVE experience forced me to go higher. Plus I made it to some areas where I was sure my SL was much too low to see other summon signs or have people summon me.

Currently on NG++ with my mainly INT build at SL 73. I am having a bit of fun pulling in some people still on their first run into my world to battle a much tougher S&O and Seath. Lots of mail from these people asking how they are getting so much souls after defeating the bosses.

Sullichin

What would you say is a good SL for PVP in this area? On my last character I stayed fairly low for a while but the pull of the PVE experience forced me to go higher. Plus I made it to some areas where I was sure my SL was much too low to see other summon signs or have people summon me.

Currently on NG++ with my mainly INT build at SL 73. I am having a bit of fun pulling in some people still on their first run into my world to battle a much tougher S&O and Seath. Lots of mail from these people asking how they are getting so much souls after defeating the bosses.

I hear that the burg is popular for NG+ / ~SL120 PVP. I've invaded at level 15 (with appropriate gear) and have gotten into some ultra high level PVP duels. Switched to my best equipment and did the best I could against someone who could kill me in one hit :p Burg/Parish is such a well designed area, and it's tons of fun to fight in. That might be one of the reasons for the darkwraith griefers. But I'm sure the real reason is because they like being assholes :p

it still behooves me to keep my main darkwraith character at level 15. I can invade anywhere in the game. I don't use crazy gear in the burg (unless the host is, or i'm co-opping and a havels/gravelord sword phantom rolls in) and I can still hold my own in Sen's fortress and Anor Londo. I don't dominate but I have fun. Invading in Sen's is incredibly fun. That area seems made for it.

Where I am dominating is forest PVP with black knight greataxe. I've been winning most encounters. It's my first character spec'd purely for this type of PVP, but the reason I'm winning is because that god damn weapon is amazing. Especially when I have enough endurance to chase you down with enough to spare to land a few attacks.

krakov

Really? Because all I bumped into in the undead burg in NG were tweaked out low level characters with full upgraded armor and lightning weapons. I don't know why they even bother.

I've been doing a lot of darkwraith invasions in the Forest recently, lots of players teaming up with friends masquerading as dark wraiths to get the drop on a real invader. I finally managed to get a lucky shot on this duo that I invaded at least 10 times without a single win, and after my victory I get spammed with rage messages. smh.

That is my experience as well and I've been standing around burg as a human for well over 50 hours spanning different characters. Doesn't really matter as you pretty much have no chance of killing someone in good armor with a starting weapon unless they are exceptionally bad. Kicking them of a ledge or stripping naked for a fist fight is probably the best idea.

Parish is still worse though.

I had a really interesting experience last night getting summoned to the depths by a guy wearing Iron Golem armor. I noticed quickly that the rats were really hard to kill, then I noticed the host was doing 1000+ damage with a light slash from a Crystal Greatsword. Turns out he was in NG++++++ and he told me he was dropped a hacked weapon from someone. I've come across a lot of people with hacked stats and you can look at a lot of them in the book of guilty, but didn't know you could alter equipment like that.

Also regarding burg, drop red signs by the bonfire at SL 125 or lower and you're bound to get into some crazy games.

Sullichin

That is my experience as well and I've been standing around burg as a human for well over 50 hours spanning different characters. Doesn't really matter as you pretty much have no chance of killing someone in good armor with a starting weapon unless they are exceptionally bad. Kicking them of a ledge or stripping naked for a fist fight is probably the best idea.

Parish is still worse though.

I had a really interesting experience last night getting summoned to the depths by a guy wearing Iron Golem armor. I noticed quickly that the rats were really hard to kill, then I noticed the host was doing 1000+ damage with a light slash from a Crystal Greatsword. Turns out he was in NG++++++ and he told me he was dropped a hacked weapon from someone. I've come across a lot of people with hacked stats and you can look at a lot of them in the book of guilty, but didn't know you could alter equipment like that.

Also regarding burg, drop red signs by the bonfire at SL 125 or lower and you're bound to get into some crazy games.

Can someone summon you using the red soapstone if they already beat the boss in the area? No, right?

Dresden

Sigh . . . still can't get online. I'd forgotten how empty Souls could feel without the online component.

Started up a Lautrec guy, and just took him through to Sen's in like forty minutes; not speed-run worthy by any means, but I just want to grab the shotel, and the Favored armor set ASAP.

Was there a method for doing the BB glitch without deleting anyone, btw? I kinda want to do a Havel character for cooping, fatrolls and all.

mxgt

Banned
It's pretty well hidden, to be fair. That said, I would've never found the bonfire in Sen's Fortress if it weren't for other player's remarks.

...there's a bonfire in Sen's fortress? holy shit mind blown.

Never saw any tips on the ground for it myself, guess that's why I never found it.

Dresden

...there's a bonfire in Sen's fortress? holy shit mind blown.

Never saw any tips on the ground for it myself, guess that's why I never found it.

at the top, there's a place you can drop into. Would never have found it myself were it not for the messages.

mxgt

Banned
Damn that would've helped so much the first time I played through the game. I never unlocked the cage shortcut and died multiple times to the Iron Golem knocking me off the edge. I got so annoyed running back through all of Sen's.

Oh wellll

one85x

Sigh . . . still can't get online. I'd forgotten how empty Souls could feel without the online component.

Started up a Lautrec guy, and just took him through to Sen's in like forty minutes; not speed-run worthy by any means, but I just want to grab the shotel, and the Favored armor set ASAP.

Was there a method for doing the BB glitch without deleting anyone, btw? I kinda want to do a Havel character for cooping, fatrolls and all.
After pressing triangle on the character with the items you want to copy, just back out and choose another character delete.

Adamm

Noob question:

How do I stop people invading my world?
Im trying to work my way through the game & it keeps coming up telling me some one has invaded my game & about 90% of the time they kill me

Sullichin

Noob question:

How do I stop people invading my world?
Im trying to work my way through the game & it keeps coming up telling me some one has invaded my game & about 90% of the time they kill me

If you are hollow, they can't invade you. when you 'reverse hollowing' at a bonfire, you turn human until the next time you die. this opens you up for invasions, but also lets you summon others for co-op.

Sullichin

Yeah if you go offline and not just stay hollow like I said, you can summon NPCs. But if you're in a popular spot for invasions, you can probably get a co-op phantom to help. I prefer if there's an invasion or two before the boss fight.

So, I just made myself a pixel art interpretation of the cover artwork as my new avatar :D

Makes me wish there was an actual 2D de-make of Dark Souls. Then again, I probably wish there was one of every good game.

sleepykyo

So, I just made myself a pixel art interpretation of the cover artwork as my new avatar :D

Makes me wish there was an actual 2D de-make of Dark Souls. Then again, I probably wish there was one of every good game.

That looks amazing.

Now Konami has to collaborate with From/Namco to get a Darks Souls pack for that PS360 Castlevania.

Booshka

Had some pretty good luck with Darkmoon invasions in the forest last night. Demon Great Machete enchanted with Darkmoon Blade is beast mode (gives me over 1100 damage), makes all those 2v1 fights very winnable. I also have 6 WoG casts that I only use if I am getting teamed up on, if it's a fair 1v1 fight I won't use it, but if I start getting gangbanged I'll spam it to all hell if I need to. I won most of my fights and got about 25 ears. I'm gonna try and get 80 ears (I have 55 right now) then break the Darkmoon covenant so I can get another Sunlight blade before I move on to NG++.

elohel

Started playing this again for the first time in months.

Got to Seathe, got cursed. Left to get uncursed at the belltower.

Now I can't even get past the first room in the Archives to get back to where I was. Great.

Archives is easily one of the most challenging areas just because of all the open space/cluttered views/enemy placement

deceptively difficult

Duders, I just made it to the Valley of Drakes, but after passing the Dragon that spits poison, there's one mini dragon that blocks the path. It's a pain in the ass to kill, and even if I kill him there are 3 more after that.

Should I try a different route now? I went to the Darkroots Garden (where there are some Giant Knights) and it didn't seem as difficult.

Booshka

Duders, I just made it to the Valley of Drakes, but after passing the Dragon that spits poison, there's one mini dragon that blocks the path. It's a pain in the ass to kill, and even if I kill him there are 3 more after that.

Should I try a different route now? I went to the Darkroots Garden (where there are some Giant Knights) and it didn't seem as difficult.

Valley of the Drakes isn't really an area, it just connects different parts of the world. Don't worry about fighting those Drakes, just run past them and go to other areas. You need to ring two bells to progress further. One is in a Church up high, and the other is in a Swamp down low.

maomaoIYP

Had some pretty good luck with Darkmoon invasions in the forest last night. Demon Great Machete enchanted with Darkmoon Blade is beast mode (gives me over 1100 damage), makes all those 2v1 fights very winnable. I also have 6 WoG casts that I only use if I am getting teamed up on, if it's a fair 1v1 fight I won't use it, but if I start getting gangbanged I'll spam it to all hell if I need to. I won most of my fights and got about 25 ears. I'm gonna try and get 80 ears (I have 55 right now) then break the Darkmoon covenant so I can get another Sunlight blade before I move on to NG++.

What do your stats look like? 40 Vit 40 End 40 Str 50 Fai? What happens at 80 ears? You don't get anything do you?

Booshka

What do your stats look like? 40 Vit 40 End 40 Str 50 Fai? What happens at 80 ears? You don't get anything do you?

45 VIT, 23 ATT, 40 END, 27 STR, 50 FAITH

The Darkmoon Blade scales with your covenant rank, so at +3, it does about 100 more points of damage compared to Sunlight blade. Right now I am already Darkmoon +3, and when I break the covenant, I will have to donate another 80 ears to get it back to +3.

maomaoIYP

45 VIT, 23 ATT, 40 END, 27 STR, 50 FAITH

The Darkmoon Blade scales with your covenant rank, so at +3, it does about 100 more points of damage compared to Sunlight blade. Right now I am already Darkmoon +3, and when I break the covenant, I will have to donate another 80 ears to get it back to +3.

So you only 2-hand the Demon's Great Machete? Do you use the heavy attack at all or do you rely on stun locking or backstabbing? I always thought Darkmoon blade only scaled with Faith, didn't know that it scaled with covenant level. I've had limited success with the ultra greatswords because I tend to play at lower SL, and I normally end up with too little END to not get stun locked myself.

Booshka

So you only 2-hand the Demon's Great Machete? Do you use the heavy attack at all or do you rely on stun locking or backstabbing? I always thought Darkmoon blade only scaled with Faith, didn't know that it scaled with covenant level. I've had limited success with the ultra greatswords because I tend to play at lower SL, and I normally end up with too little END to not get stun locked myself.

Yep, I only 2 hand it, the 2H R2 is pretty much worthless, but the R1 is a nice wide sweep, and it also has a great rolling poke and some good running slam attacks. I'll fish for backstabs as well. The weapon enchantments do scale with Faith, but Darkmoon blade also scales with Covenant rank.

I normally don't ever do this but would anyone level 64-78 be willing to part with some demon titanite? Going to begin upgrading Smoughs Hammer but am nowhere near Lost Izalith. I'm on PS3 version.

Endurance seems to me to always be more worthy to level up then Vitality. More stamina, more attacks, more rolling, more sprinting, more hits you can soak through the shield, more equipment weight -- overall more positives when upping Endurance instead of Vitality.

in the long run absolutely - 16 VIT is quite likely the highest I've had on any character in this and DeS. But we're talking about 1 point here. it's not going to make a great difference to equip-able gear as I can only wield the lighter weapons anyway, and by using stamina regen equipment and the dark wood grain ring i keep myself very mobile. if i've had to block three hits in a row without dropping guard, i'm not playing my character right.

on the other hand a few extra points in HP could mean the difference between life and death when i do fail to get out of the way fast enough. just to emphasise though, it's only 1 point and i won't be levelling this character up any more, so the difference is pretty much moot.

Just ringed the second bell!

I don't understand what is the purpose and how covenant works. Right now I'm in the area after you kill the spider boss, and I have the opportunity to abandon my old covenant (which I don't even know) to join the dudes with tumors on their backs.

Without spoiling, what do covenants do, and what happens if I leave one and enter other?

maomaoIYP

I don't understand what is the purpose and how covenant works. Right now I'm in the area after you kill the spider boss, and I have the opportunity to abandon my old covenant (which I don't even know) to join the dudes with tumors on their backs.

Without spoiling, what do covenants do, and what happens if I leave one and enter other?

Covenants are mostly for mp purposes. Nothing much happens if you leave one and enter another like this, although certain covenants do give you an item when you first join. By participating in mp activities for certain covenants, you can get certain items. Some offer specific weapons, armor, and equipment.

I made it through my entire first run without even knowing that the heck covenants do, so if you just want to experience the game as it is without dipping into covenants, it's perfectly fine.

I'd also like to know this.. Also, where do you get "invited" to join covenants? I've only had the spider person ask me.

edit-- just read the reply above mine. Should I just experience the game as it is first, then worry about covenants on my second play-through or NG+?

maomaoIYP

I'd also like to know this.. Also, where do you get "invited" to join covenants? I've only had the spider person ask me.

edit-- just read the reply above mine. Should I just experience the game as it is first, then worry about covenants on my second play-through or NG+?

Well....it really depends on how much you want to squeeze out (achievements wise as well) from a single playthrough. Certain items that you get from certain covenants count towards achievements, and certain items can be quite fun to use for single player purposes. But since most of the covenants deal with PvP type of mp, and I didn't want to ruin the experience by reading up on anything for my first playthrough, I skipped them (and any sort of FAQ) entirely.

Covenant locations, some of them are quite well hidden and won't be found without an FAQ.
Cleric vendor at Firelink shrine, Spider lady after fighting Queelag, Broken statue underneath the red dragon at undead burg, Talking cat in the middle of the forest, Busty giant at the end of Anor Londo, Fog door behind hidden wall at the bottom of the rotating stairs in Anor Londo, Coffin next to the titanite demon in the catacombs, Docile dragon at the end of Ash Lake, and Primordial serpent after fighting the four kings.

Mike M

Nick N
So far I'm maybe 8 and a half hours into the game, and I haven't gotten much past ringing the first bell. Mostly just stomping around Undead Burg and Undead Parish, spending way too many lives attempting to kill Havel the Rock but always managing to botch a relatively straight-forward and easy strategy by getting greedy a dozen times.

The Drake Sword seems kinda ridiculous though. Super-powerful compared to any swords I've got access to, super-easy to get, and relatively early in the game... Though now that I've got it, I don't know how to deal with the Hellkite dragon, since all he does is sit on his perch and bellow flame. I suppose I can come back later when I get a suped-up bow and snipe him, but I wanna get to that bonfire : /

maomaoIYP

So far I'm maybe 8 and a half hours into the game, and I haven't gotten much past ringing the first bell. Mostly just stomping around Undead Burg and Undead Parish, spending way too many lives attempting to kill Havel the Rock but always managing to botch a relatively straight-forward and easy strategy by getting greedy a dozen times.

The Drake Sword seems kinda ridiculous though. Super-powerful compared to any swords I've got access to, super-easy to get, and relatively early in the game... Though now that I've got it, I don't know how to deal with the Hellkite dragon, since all he does is sit on his perch and bellow flame. I suppose I can come back later when I get a suped-up bow and snipe him, but I wanna get to that bonfire : /

Do you want to kill him or just reach that bonfire?

If you only want to reach the bonfire, grab a bow or crossbow. Make sure your encumbrance is less than 25%. Stand at the safe spot on the bridge just directly above the bonfire in the burg. Fire an arrow at him. Once he jumps directly onto the bridge, sprint underneath his feet directly to the bonfire, and hide there until he flies off.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That is my experience as well and I've been standing around burg as a human for well over 50 hours spanning different characters.
True, you get some blatant exploiters/abusers (one of either host, co-op buddy or invader is guaranteed to have good equipment for that level). But I've found the good outweighs the bad in this case. Even had one player who had made himself look exactly like a Na'vi. He was naked, skinny, pale blue, and just had a regular-looking spear/shield. Held his own pretty well, though!
Others have answered as if you're talking about NG+ or going back at a high level, but it sounds as though you're there early on and just want to hang around for a while.
I started as a pyro, so was only at level 5 during my own run through the Burg. I then went to 10 and had a lot of success finding matches for co-op.

Pressed on to the point under the bridge/before the Parish at SL 15, and am now at 20 still finding people in the Burg to play with. I wouldn't go much higher than that before moving on permanently, though.

Adamm

I didnt get the drake sword. I ran past hellkite & he flew away, im assuming I missed the chance? :(

Im using the Gargoyle Tail Axe at the moment, is it an ok weapon to spend time upgrading?

Frank

I didnt get the drake sword. I ran past hellkite & he flew away, im assuming I missed the chance? :(

Im using the Gargoyle Tail Axe at the moment, is it an ok weapon to spend time upgrading?

He'll come back if you do a run down to the middle of the bridge, or towards the area where you meet Solaire. Then he'll stay until you get to the bonfire again.

Seemed to me the fix for the glitch were you could kill it by shooting one arrow from the Black Knight's tower at the beginning of the Parish was to basically have the hellkite fly away whenever the player is 'behind' its position.

Zakkath

Is there a use for Crystal Weapons ? The description says they break easily.

Also, I'm trying to find an alternative to the Lightning Spear, which is resally great, but I would like to try something new, a fast hitting sword. Any suggestions ?

Leezard

Is there a use for Crystal Weapons ? The description says they break easily.

Also, I'm trying to find an alternative to the Lightning Spear, which is resally great, but I would like to try something new, a fast hitting sword. Any suggestions ?

Crystal weapons are really strong. If you have enough Chunks/Slabs to use them, they are great. Having one crystal weapon for a tough encounter is not that bad, really. I imagine they can be more useful in NG+++++++++ or something, when you have loads of stuff.

Try the Iaito or Uchigatana for a sword.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just started replaying again, this time building a pyro/sorc hybrid for maximum PVE laughs. Only hard rule though really this time is to avoid forest grinding and try and mash through at a low level.

Got caught a few times by Capra (only boss that's given me any trouble) but mainly because I got impatient after I got myself stupidly killed on the first run - dealt with the dogs perfectly then got splatted by trying to finish him off in a rush.

On the upside FINALLY got a sack to drop from the second butcher in the depths, a feat that eluded me every time on my original char - even with capped droprate.

Such a fun game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom