• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Chilled in NG+ Burg for a while today doing PVP. Killed so many <lvl30 ppl wearing Havel's gear and tweaked out weapons and shit that it was kind of ridiculous.

I don't get what the appeal in picking on newbies is.

Because it makes them feel like a boss I suppose. The worst are those with tweaked out gear and 1 shot low level characters with a ring of fog ambush. Makes them both a coward and a bully.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That is pretty cool, seems like you need a bit of HP to make the fall though. You can also do some interesting things by leaving mid level fog walls. Especially in regards to invasions, as it may be possible to completely lock out the invader from reaching you.
This exact thing happened to me last night on a new Sorc I was tinkering with.
Had just knocked the ladder down in Burg, climbed up, and found I was locked out of the bit below the bridge. "Oh no" I thought, just as I got invaded, but then found I was locked out of the rest of the Burg as well! I couldn't quit or anything, so I just waited a minute until the invader got bored and left. Didn't realise that could happen.

The derp-face intro to that shortcut video cracked me up. "You lookin' at me? ... You lookin' at ME?"

Soulhouf

I made a new character and I'm already in the Kiln of the first Flame at level 23. It's amazing how much this game become easy once you have beat it.
I made this low build manly to help people who are stuck at Capra/Gaping Dragon. I will level it up to be able to help against O&S and 4K as well.

I am finally getting around to playing(Damn you Skyrim!) and am having a hard time choosing who to be. In DS I played as a knight/archer dude and found that to be pretty dang enjoyable. What do you guys recommend? How are the magic dudes?

Avoid thief/bandit, they're pretty hard to use. Can't go wrong with warrior with a dash of pyromancy.

Magic is pretty powerful but initially you can't really rely on it. If you want to go magic I'd suggest picking pyromancy, rolling with that for a while then start pumping points into magic down the road. Get your Vit/End up first, it makes things easier until you get better/more spells.

maomaoIYP

Magic is pretty powerful but initially you can't really rely on it. If you want to go magic I'd suggest picking pyromancy, rolling with that for a while then start pumping points into magic down the road. Get your Vit/End up first, it makes things easier until you get better/more spells.

Magic is totally reliable in PvE, in fact you can kill things faster with magic than any pure melee character can. The whole point of a pure magic character is a low End medium Vit glass cannon, where you dodge instead of block, and carefully manage your resources. I have a pure magic character with only 11 End, and I use it for PvP as well. Magic is a lot less useful in PvP, and therein lies the challenge.

edit: just noticed this: in Archives, once you step out from your cell and look directly under the platform outside your cell, there's an item right underneath. How on earth do you reach it? I've done like 7 playthroughs and this is the first time I've seen this item.

Leezard

Magic is totally reliable in PvE, in fact you can kill things faster with magic than any pure melee character can. The whole point of a pure magic character is a low End medium Vit glass cannon, where you dodge instead of block, and carefully manage your resources. I have a pure magic character with only 11 End, and I use it for PvP as well. Magic is a lot less useful in PvP, and therein lies the challenge.

edit: just noticed this: in Archives, once you step out from your cell and look directly under the platform outside your cell, there's an item right underneath. How on earth do you reach it? I've done like 7 playthroughs and this is the first time I've seen this item.

You need to jump. I believe it's the maiden's robes or something like that, I got it once.

maomaoIYP

You need to jump. I believe it's the maiden's robes or something like that, I got it once.

Nope, that's the one above your cell, this one is directly below it. I just found the way to get there, not worth the effort, but DAMN this game never ceases to amaze me.

The Chef

Just started playing last night. Holy shit this makes Demon Souls look as difficult as Crash Bandicoot. In the very beginning should I try and level grind on those skeletons in the cemetery? I feel like a new born baby.

Soulhouf

Just started playing last night. Holy shit this makes Demon Souls look as difficult as Crash Bandicoot. In the very beginning should I try and level grind on those skeletons in the cemetery? I feel like a new born baby.

Don't go there. Instead try the Undead Burg and get a good shield and you will be fine.

Frank

Is that down the elevator? I tried going down there first and those ghost lookin things absolutely raped me like 15 times in a row. T_T

Nope, you have to go up. There are some stairs to your left if you keep the bonfire & the big crow behind you. You can also see where they lead to, high up in the distance.

I'm sort of astounded at how many newcomers run directly towards the catacombs in the beginning. The dude at the bonfire tells you to go up to the undead burg first, and the pathway up is right in front of you when you land. Not criticizing anyone, just think its interesting.

Soulhouf

Is that down the elevator? I tried going down there first and those ghost lookin things absolutely raped me like 15 times in a row. T_T

Nope. Come back to that area later.
From Firelink Shrine, head towards the upper right and follow the stairs.

@Ghost_Protocol: yeah, that's what happened to me as well. The first area where I went were the catacombs and New Londo Ruins. It was a nightmare.\
Now I can't help but smile when I think about it.

Frank

@Ghost_Protocol: yeah, that's what happened to me as well. The first area where I went were the catacombs and New Londo Ruins. It was a nightmare.\
Now I can't help but smile when I think about it.

Might be because there's a certain 'difficulty expectancy' when coming into Dark Souls, and then you also have the interconnected & forky nature of the world/level design.

Ends up pushing a lot of new players to go in the wrong direction, makes them think less of the obvious (damn, these things are killing me by BLINKING!) and they don't have yet the knowledge and experience of how the world is constantly giving you alternatives to whatever path you were thinking of taking.

But I guess the way Firelink Shrine is built right now makes for a great introduction to the way the world is built -- once you've taken a beating & figure out there's multiple paths available it leads to a "afuckinha!" moment, which helps fixing things in the mind of players.

Just like Asylum Demon and getting to it with a broken sword ('no chance I can take on that with this!') and then coming back better equipped ('so, now I'm ready!') which theoretically (or at least I perceive it as such) was built this way to tell players they won't be always ready for what's ahead, but they can always get what they need and come back later. Plus, always look for ways to use the environment!

Although, this one might be too much on the subtle side for one of those 'aha!' moments, but I guess there's some bits of what the whole setup is trying to convey remaining in our minds.

edit: Another 'aha!' moment I had connected with Firelink Shrine (and the way the game is thought out) happened when I really started exploring every nook and cranny of it. Such an apparently small location ended up feeling a bit like a Russian Doll, you think you got to the last of them, but! here's another!

Sullichin

Hey, the first Crash Bandicoot is actually pretty hard :p

It's cool seeing more people start this, I'd like to see this thread be more active.

Does the white soap summon stone still have the same 10% level limit if you use it in the forest? I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm still getting summoned, but since the people invading can be any level lower than the host, i was wondering if that applies for white phantoms there as well.

krakov

Does the white soap summon stone still have the same 10% level limit if you use it in the forest? I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm still getting summoned, but since the people invading can be any level lower than the host, i was wondering if that applies for white phantoms there as well.

I'm pretty sure it's always 10 levels + 10% of summoners level. If you are summoning at level 100, it's 20 levels. Seems to fit my experience at least.

sleepykyo

Now that the mag adjust on wands scales with intelligence, it kind of is harder at the start. Oh and homing soul mass only giving off 2 orbs at low intelligence levels.

maomaoIYP

Now that the mag adjust on wands scales with intelligence, it kind of is harder at the start. Oh and homing soul mass only giving off 2 orbs at low intelligence levels.

True, but physical attack also scales with Str or Dex, making magic only slightly harder due to the resource conservation aspect. You can get 60 shots of soul arrow at the start by playing a sorc, and you don't really need all 60 shots in between bonfires in undead burg since you can one shot everything right at the start. Anyway by the time you get homing soul mass you would already have enough Int for all 5 orbs. Not like you should be relying on that for basic enemies until NG+ anyway.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm sort of astounded at how many newcomers run directly towards the catacombs in the beginning. The dude at the bonfire tells you to go up to the undead burg first, and the pathway up is right in front of you when you land. Not criticizing anyone, just think its interesting.

Yea I went down first as well. And I mean down as in New Londo ruins. Still dont know why, lol.

Rapstah

I died a bunch of times in the ghost swamp area and ran out of curses to hit the ghosts. What do I do? Can't run through them, I tried once and got to the anti-curse ring before every single ghost in the game appeared in the corridor behind me, bringing the game down to around half a frame per second before utterly annihilating me.

Booshka

I died a bunch of times in the ghost swamp area and ran out of curses to hit the ghosts. What do I do? Can't run through them, I tried once and got to the anti-curse ring before every single ghost in the game appeared in the corridor behind me, bringing the game down to around half a frame per second before utterly annihilating me.

Go another way, worry about the ghosts later, there are a couple vendors that sell Transient Curses. They aren't cheap, but you can just buy them later when you have more souls.

Rapstah

Go another way, worry about the ghosts later, there are a couple vendors that sell Transient Curses. They aren't cheap, but you can just buy them later when you have more souls.

Okay, fine. Am I doing something horribly wrong by doing the forest part now? I'm not finding it terribly hard and it seems pretty straightforward.

Ha, your right it actually was. I should have said "Bubsy 3D"

what a piece of crap bubsy is. having that game mentioned in this thread may win the award for "greatest quality gap between two games mentioned in the same thread". i guess i could contend by mentioning superman 64.

ps - i own bubsy 3d, superman 64, slam city with scottie pippen, charlie's angels, and several others as part of my worst games of all time collection.

edit:
Okay, fine. Am I doing something horribly wrong by doing the forest part now? I'm not finding it terribly hard and it seems pretty straightforward.

assuming you are talking about darkroot, i did this part right pretty early. i dont know what you have done, but if you arent finding it any harder than your previous area (which for me was i think blighttown) you are probably fine.

Judging by the bloodstains found in firelink shrine, it looks like the first thing people do is try to bash that guy's teeth in, so I'm assuming a good chunk of people don't even know what he says.

Booshka

Nope, if you can handle it, do it. Dark Souls can go both ways, if an area is too hard, go another way and come back later. But, if you are in an area that you're not sure you belong, but you can hold your own, go ahead and venture further. You might end up somewhere that is way over your head, but at that point you can just Homeward Bone and chalk it up as experience and learning the area for later.

Just summoned someone from the Dragon covenant for the first time in the Burg and had a long duel with him. Dragon players get summoned as pure black phantoms which look really cool. Burg seems to be a pretty popular place for PvP nowadays, had a lot of fun killing invaders.

Booshka

Just summoned someone from the Dragon covenant for the first time in the Burg and had a long duel with him. Dragon players get summoned as pure black phantoms which look really cool. Burg seems to be a pretty popular place for PvP nowadays, had a lot of fun killing invaders.

I've heard this as well, I'm gonna take my 130 STR/Faith character to NG++ and leave Taurus alive so I can PVP in Burg.

krakov

Not sure if this is old news but you can attack the Gaping dragon without even entering the fog door if you're a phantom.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just like Asylum Demon and getting to it with a broken sword ('no chance I can take on that with this!') and then coming back better equipped ('so, now I'm ready!') which theoretically (or at least I perceive it as such) was built this way to tell players they won't be always ready for what's ahead, but they can always get what they need and come back later. Plus, always look for ways to use the environment!
This makes a lot of sense, but when that gate slammed down behind me for the first time, the game made me feel like a coward more than anything!

After being familiar with DeSouls and generally wanting to beat/find as much as I can in the games I play, I almost considered starting again so I could try and beat that first boss, regardless of how weak I was at that point.

Obviously glad I pressed on in the end. I guess as punishing and humiliating as the Souls series can be, one of its lessons is "there's always another chance" :)

... That and "you'll get what's coming to you".

Riposte

Going back on a new character and beating the Asylum Demon on the first appearance was cool. I don't know if I would call it fun, but it satisfied me. Too bad on that character I'll never use the axe(or hammer? forget) you get.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I fucked up getting the
drake sword
. I bought a bolt and arrows instead of a bow (this is what happens when you play late at night)
PS -- I killed him, so I can't go back

Also does anyone know how to properly equip a crossbow and aim with it? I'm confuzzled.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You equip a crossbow in the same way as everything else, but you can't 'aim' with it like you can with a bow; just lock on.

Don't forget to equip some bolts in the slots under your quick inventory items (right side for bolts, left for arrows).

maomaoIYP

You equip a crossbow in the same way as everything else, but you can't 'aim' with it like you can with a bow; just lock on.

Don't forget to equip some bolts in the slots under your quick inventory items (right side for bolts, left for arrows).

You can still free aim, just like you can free aim magic spells without locking on.

finally got around to finishing it for the first time, SL 25
end was a bit of a dissapointment.. i bought solaire to the fight so he could get some action and it was just a cake-walk

NG+ i'm up to Gaping dragon at the moment, helping people co-op. probably will leave GD alive and go the alternate way to Queelag.

Sullichin

I fucked up getting the
drake sword
. I bought a bolt and arrows instead of a bow (this is what happens when you play late at night)
PS -- I killed him, so I can't go back

Also does anyone know how to properly equip a crossbow and aim with it? I'm confuzzled.

Just skip the drake sword. That guy you killed.. he gave you an uchigatana. I suggest you upgrade that and use it, it's an awesome weapon.

finally got around to finishing it for the first time, SL 25
end was a bit of a dissapointment.. i bought solaire to the fight so he could get some action and it was just a cake-walk

NG+ i'm up to Gaping dragon at the moment, helping people co-op. probably will leave GD alive and go the alternate way to Queelag.

SL25 on your first playthrough? I'm impressed. I'm also impressed you thought the last boss was a cake walk. I can destroy him now, but he owned me over and over again when I first tried.

SL25 on your first playthrough? I'm impressed. I'm also impressed you thought the last boss was a cake walk. I can destroy him now, but he owned me over and over again when I first tried.

second really as i ended up ditching my first character (at SL81) just before
seath
. So knowing what I was going into made it much easier. didn't even mean to stay low just hit a spot i liked and wondered how long i could stretch it out before i levelled up. last boss i
loaded up on fire defence but really just having Solaire to distract him made it super-easy. Solaire even delivered a finishing backstab, must really hate that guy ;)
not looking forward to 4K on ng+ though, contemplating going up to SL50 at some point.

build was a pyro starter

vit 15
att 16
end 12
str 14
dex 21
res 12
int 10
fai 8

mainly using a Chaos Great Scythe +5 with 10 humanity, which is a really nice low-requirement weapon when you don't have any stats worth scaling to, and wearing the dark wood ring with upgraded black leather set (with a selection of different hats). if i could change any one thing about the stats i'd take 1 point out of dex and put it into vit.

Frank

if i could change any one thing about the stats i'd take 1 point out of dex and put it into vit.

Endurance seems to me to always be more worthy to level up then Vitality. More stamina, more attacks, more rolling, more sprinting, more hits you can soak through the shield, more equipment weight -- overall more positives when upping Endurance instead of Vitality.

shaneskim

Question about Knight's Honor trophy: As far as I understand one character just has to hold every item, right? If I upgrade a spear to +10, turn it into a dragonslayer spear, then revert it back to plus 10, then turn it into a moonlight butterfly horn, would that count?

I got the "best weapon by" trophies like that and I'm pretty sure my Knights trophy popped up when I made the Darkmoon Bow (2 playthroughs - I borrowed the third Sif weapon from a mate). Will check tonight if I have it in my inventory, if it's not there then I must have quit out from the blacksmith menu which proves it's possible. I may be remembering it incorrectly though.

edit: If it is relevant to you, my one tip would be to get the required weapons to +10 before NG+/++ as it will save you from hunting the +5/+10 embers down

mxgt

Banned
On my 4th run through Tomb of the Giants I just discovered the second bonfire for the first time.

I feel like such an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom