• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Just started replaying again, this time building a pyro/sorc hybrid for maximum PVE laughs. Only hard rule though really this time is to avoid forest grinding and try and mash through at a low level.

Got caught a few times by Capra (only boss that's given me any trouble) but mainly because I got impatient after I got myself stupidly killed on the first run - dealt with the dogs perfectly then got splatted by trying to finish him off in a rush.

On the upside FINALLY got a sack to drop from the second butcher in the depths, a feat that eluded me every time on my original char - even with capped droprate.

Such a fun game.

The sack, symbol of avarice and skull lantern are guaranteed drops now.

Mike M

Nick N
Do you want to kill him or just reach that bonfire?

If you only want to reach the bonfire, grab a bow or crossbow. Make sure your encumbrance is less than 25%. Stand at the safe spot on the bridge just directly above the bonfire in the burg. Fire an arrow at him. Once he jumps directly onto the bridge, sprint underneath his feet directly to the bonfire, and hide there until he flies off.

Huh, this whole time I've been trying to deal with him from the side of the platform with the stairs, apparently just aiming a bow at him from the other side provokes him into hopping down.

Ran past him to the bonfire. Been back and forth on the bridge a few times since, but he hasn't reappeared. Just as well, I've got the sword and don't care so much about 10,000 souls to deal with the aggrevation of killing him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
maomaoIYP said:
The sack, symbol of avarice and skull lantern are guaranteed drops now.

Is there a consolidated list of user-observed changes for patch 1.05 anywhere? I've read the notes but I'm curious about the specifics.

maomaoIYP

Huh, this whole time I've been trying to deal with him from the side of the platform with the stairs, apparently just aiming a bow at him from the other side provokes him into hopping down.

Ran past him to the bonfire. Been back and forth on the bridge a few times since, but he hasn't reappeared. Just as well, I've got the sword and don't care so much about 10,000 souls to deal with the aggrevation of killing him.

He used to reappear once you start running down the bridge from where you met Solaria the first time. I've never tried it post patch, but I would assume that it's still the same. I've never actually managed to kill the hellkite even once, always felt impossible at low levels, and at higher levels the 10k souls aren't worth it anymore.

Is there a consolidated list of user-observed changes for patch 1.05 anywhere? I've read the notes but I'm curious about the specifics.

This thread has most of the changes done in 1.04
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450602&highlight=dark+souls+patch

Mike M

Nick N
He used to reappear once you start running down the bridge from where you met Solaria the first time. I've never tried it post patch, but I would assume that it's still the same. I've never actually managed to kill the hellkite even once, always felt impossible at low levels, and at higher levels the 10k souls aren't worth it anymore.
I've come down the bridge that direction a couple times, he hasn't reappeared yet. Maybe he just needs more time to respawn, or I need to get further away before he does.

Sullichin

Well I had some pretty varied PVP experiences last night. I summon someone via dragon remains in the kiln, and he proceeds to set up a backstab while i'm bowing. Fuck you man. Whatever, I don't heal, I just rush him with barely any HP and wind up winning. He then messages me on PSN saying "GAY WEPON".

Invaded in the Kiln and get white dragon breath'd or HCSM as SOON as I spawn. This happened a couple of times. Come on.

In all pvp locations I've seen tons of people with pinwheel masks, flipping around in giants armor. If i'm summoning someone I specifically look for people who ARENT using that setup or full havels, whether they're on my side or not, not really because those builds are over used, but the players who use them, in my experience, tend to be assholes. The people who use "what is it?" after they rush you with two phantoms.

Invading in the forest, I know my chances aren't too great unless there's other people attacking the host. But do you really need you and 2 of your friends in full havel's to camp right on the steps where i'm going to spawn?

Had some good PVP in the kiln as well though and saw lots of wacky builds in addition to the setups i'm more used to seeing.

I knew Painted World was popular for PVP.. but i just had the obvious realization that the optional boss means you can keep the area open for invasions. Such a cool area, probably the best looking in the game. is SL120PVP popular here? I got invaded a couple of times. Looking for that red soapstone, I forgot where it is.

Have Demon's Great Hammer and Demons Great Machete both at +14. Not sure which I will spend my slab on. BKGA+5 is what I usually use, though.

Dresden

The machete for sure.

Still have about a week left until I get that new internet so I'm just going through single player with my Lautrec build - I've begun to just vit gouge, have 40 vitality at level 41 or so. Wearing the Ring of FAP because it's fucking Lautrec! I really hate how the kick gets replaced with a spin backflip. I think I'll beat the game and just level him as far as possible for forest pvp.

Sullichin

DGM+15 has A scaling and can be given lightning/fire damage right? If so, it should be capable of obscene damage per hit.

Yeah it can be enchanted. At +14 with resin the AR is over 710, forgot the exact number. Add the fact that I can only 2H the Demons Great Hammer, and I'll probably take DGM to +15.

Booshka

Yeah it can be enchanted. At +14 with resin the AR is over 710, forgot the exact number. Add the fact that I can only 2H the Demons Great Hammer, and I'll probably take DGM to +15.

Those resin enchantments don't actually do anything, they add like 10-15 points of damage max when fighting at higher level. The attack rating in the stats menu is lying, but they do look cool, and allow you to deal chip damage. The Sorcery and Miracle enchants is where it's really at, those can add 300-500 points of damage.

Sullichin

Those resin enchantments don't actually don anything, they add like 10-15 points of damage max when fighting at higher level. The attack rating in the stats menu is lying, but the do look cool, and allow you to deal chip damage. The Sorcery and Miracle enchants is where it's really at, those can add 300-500 points of damage.

Good to know. Won't be using DMB/CMW or anything on this character since I don't have any FAI and I'm already at SL101. It's mainly a BKGA character.
That being said, i *might* make DGH the one I take to +15, just because the move set is very different than my axe, and it's fun to knock people down. DGM seems better in every way though. Glad I took your advice with 40END. It's going to be hard going back to a character who can't run for 20 miles and immediately attack :p

Dresden

Good to know. Won't be using DMB/CMW or anything on this character since I don't have any FAI and I'm already at SL101. It's mainly a BKGA character.
That being said, i *might* make DGH the one I take to +15, just because the move set is very different than my axe, and it's fun to knock people down. DGM seems better in every way though. Glad I took your advice with 40END. It's going to be hard going back to a character who can't run for 20 miles and immediately attack :p

sl120 is the 'standard' range for pvp characters, you can probably take faith to 30 or so and take advantage of the miracles if you don't need more health.

Another option is to get int to like 16, and use greater magic weapon with the oolacile catalyst.

Sullichin

sl120 is the 'standard' range for pvp characters, you can probably take faith to 30 or so and take advantage of the miracles if you don't need more health.

Another option is to get int to like 16, and use greater magic weapon with the oolacile catalyst.

I'd be a little over 120 if I stopped leveling VIT now and put enough FAITH to get to 30. I probably won't put anything into fai/int because I mainly use the BKGA. But maybe I'll BB glitch this character and start another one who uses DGM+15/darkmoon blade. I was against using BB glitch, but if it's just saving me time to use on a high SL PVP build and I'm not griefing, I think it's ok.

Booshka

I'd be a little over 120 if I stopped leveling VIT now and put enough FAITH to get to 30. I probably won't put anything into fai/int because I mainly use the BKGA. But maybe I'll BB glitch this character and start another one who uses DGM+15/darkmoon blade. I was against using BB glitch, but if it's just saving me time to use on a high SL PVP build and I'm not griefing, I think it's ok.

Yea I don't really see a problem with BB glitching for PvP characters, just don't dupe Slabs and Divine blessings, and I don't see an issue.

mxgt

Banned
Sometimes I really fucking hate the PvP in this game.

30 minute fight with some fucking pansy that keeps hiding behind a whole group of mobs as soon as I hit him and eventually wins by lagstabbing me from several feet away.

I need a drink

Sullichin

Yea I don't really see a problem with BB glitching for PvP characters, just don't dupe Slabs and Divine blessings, and I don't see an issue.
Yeah I won't do that. I've never even used a divine blessing, I had the "too afraid to use a rare item" thing going during my first playthrough and kind of forgot they existed.

Sometimes I really fucking hate the PvP in this game.

30 minute fight with some fucking pansy that keeps hiding behind a whole group of mobs as soon as I hit him and eventually wins by lagstabbing me from several feet away.

I need a drink

At least they didn't backstab you while you're bowing, after you invite them to your world. I'd say that using mobs to your advantage is fair game for darkwaiths. When I invade I don't heal though, it annoys me when invaders do that. And lagstabbing sucks but what are you gonna do. It's not like you can expect people to not go for backstabs just in case it's going to be laggy for one player.

mxgt

Banned
At least they didn't backstab you while you're bowing, after you invite them to your world. I'd say that using mobs to your advantage is fair game for darkwaiths. When I invade I don't heal though, it annoys me when invaders do that. And lagstabbing sucks but what are you gonna do. It's not like you can expect people to not go for backstabs just in case it's going to be laggy for one player.

I don't blame them for doing it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying :p

This whole time I thought you could only summon one phantom in dark anor londo yet here I get summoned to someone's else's game along with another phantom.

JerkShep

I'm playing the game for the first time, currently I'm in Blightown after ringing the second bell. I've a strange question: the setting seems rather interesting but I can't understand it really well :( DeS was cryptic but there were a lot of dialogues and tibits that helped to undertand the world, the lore behind it and the characters. Yes there were hidden "secrets" but you could understand pretty much everything. With Dark Souls I'm lost really, I'm basically following the name of the keys I find and that's it. I've found very few npc and they usually have not much to say, or I can't understand it very well. Am I missing something? I would really like the know more about the locations, the factions and the general lore but I don't know where to look aside from item descriptions.

Dresden

I'm playing the game for the first time, currently I'm in Blightown after ringing the second bell. I've a strange question: the setting seems rather interesting but I can't understand it really well :( DeS was cryptic but there were a lot of dialogues and tibits that helped to undertand the world, the lore behind it and the characters. Yes there were hidden "secrets" but you could understand pretty much everything. With Dark Souls I'm lost really, I'm basically following the name of the keys I find and that's it. I've found very few npc and they usually have not much to say, or I can't understand it very well. Am I missing something? I would really like the know more about the locations, the factions and the general lore but I don't know where to look aside from item descriptions.

That's really about it. Good thing is that everything comes together as you go.

CatPee

Dark Souls' lore is tucked away in the item descriptions rather than dialogue.

Booshka

This whole time I thought you could only summon one phantom in dark anor londo yet here I get summoned to someone's else's game along with another phantom.

I think that is a glitch in the game progression, people abuse it so they can gangbang invaders in Dark Anor Londo. I think the way to do it is to kill S&O, then kill Gwyndolin, and then kill Gwynevere to make it dark. You will get Twilight Londo, but there will be no Gwyndolin to fight, so I think the game reverts back to the summoning characteristics of Daylight Anor Londo and allows two phantoms with the host. They should fix it and just not allow you to summon anyone, but still get invaded. I did a lot of invading in Anor Londo, and about 25% of the time it was against three people in Dark Anor Londo, really frustrating.

Sullichin

I don't blame them for doing it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying :p

Agreed. I feel that way about PVP a lot.

Hiding behind mobs, I can accept.

Hiding behind merchants or other NPCs is still kind of bitch-made, in my opinion.
Indeed it is. I wouldn't do this and I've never seen anyone do this in my world, but I'm sure it happens... with really annoying consequences.

I think that is a glitch in the game progression, people abuse it so they can gangbang invaders in Dark Anor Londo. I think the way to do it is to kill S&O, then kill Gwyndolin, and then kill Gwynevere to make it dark. You will get Twilight Londo, but there will be no Gwyndolin to fight, so I think the game reverts back to the summoning characteristics of Daylight Anor Londo and allows two phantoms with the host. They should fix it and just not allow you to summon anyone, but still get invaded. I did a lot of invading in Anor Londo, and about 25% of the time it was against three people in Dark Anor Londo, really frustrating.
Interesting. I always enjoyed getting summoned into someone's Dark AL when I was really trying for O&S Co-op, but I suppose it would be more fair if you couldn't summon at all in Dark Londo. 3V1 in the forest is bad enough.

Booshka

Agreed. I feel that way about PVP a lot.

Indeed it is. I wouldn't do this and I've never seen anyone do this in my world, but I'm sure it happens... with really annoying consequences.

Interesting. I always enjoyed getting summoned into someone's Dark AL when I was really trying for O&S Co-op, but I suppose it would be more fair if you couldn't summon at all in Dark Londo. 3V1 in the forest is bad enough.
That's not entirely what I am suggesting, I think it is good to have 2v2 PvP arenas like the Forest and Dark Anor Londo, but in those designated PvP areas, you shouldn't be able to have 3 co op players to 1 invader, so if people glitch the area so there is no boss to fight, but it is still a PvP area, they shouldn't be able to summon help. If Gwyndolin is still alive and it is Dark Anor Londo, then the host should be able to summon 1 phantom, and then get invaded by up to 2 players.

MechaX

I had the unfortunate luck to experience that with my mage character on a NG+ cycle in Undead Parish. The Moonlight Greatsword did insane damage to the guy, but he ended up running behind the undead merchant and healed to full with a humanity. I will let slide for now my personal pet peeve with behind able to heal via humanity in phantom form to begin with (if the devs restricted healing by flask in phantom form, and the only other immediate way to heal is with the very risky heal spell, was the humanity thing just an oversight, especially when considering that humanity comes pretty commonly post-patch?)

After about literally 4 run-throughs of the entire "I hit him for 50% health, he runs off, cowers behind merchant, heals with humanity, runs back", I just jumped off the ledge. Yeah, I guess the Undead Merchant doesn't really sell important stuff (interestingly, I forgot to by the Bottomless Box on my prior playthrough), but still.

And to make matters worse, people have reported that some invaders pull the same tactic with the Anor Londo Blacksmith; invaders will just squeeze behind him, heal up, and come back out.

Booshka

I had the unfortunate luck to experience that with my mage character on a NG+ cycle in Undead Parish. The Moonlight Greatsword did insane damage to the guy, but he ended up running behind the undead merchant and healed to full with a humanity. I will let slide for now my personal pet peeve with behind able to heal via humanity in phantom form to begin with (if the devs restricted healing by flask in phantom form, and the only other immediate way to heal is with the very risky heal spell, was the humanity thing just an oversight, especially when considering that humanity comes pretty commonly post-patch?)

After about literally 4 run-throughs of the entire "I hit him for 50% health, he runs off, cowers behind merchant, heals with humanity, runs back", I just jumped off the ledge. Yeah, I guess the Undead Merchant doesn't really sell important stuff (interestingly, I forgot to by the Bottomless Box on my prior playthrough), but still.

And to make matters worse, people have reported that some invaders pull the same tactic with the Anor Londo Blacksmith; invaders will just squeeze behind him, heal up, and come back out.

This is when you start chucking dung pie at them.

maomaoIYP

In all pvp locations I've seen tons of people with pinwheel masks, flipping around in giants armor. If i'm summoning someone I specifically look for people who ARENT using that setup or full havels, whether they're on my side or not, not really because those builds are over used, but the players who use them, in my experience, tend to be assholes. The people who use "what is it?" after they rush you with two phantoms.

Invading in the forest, I know my chances aren't too great unless there's other people attacking the host. But do you really need you and 2 of your friends in full havel's to camp right on the steps where i'm going to spawn?

Had some good PVP in the kiln as well though and saw lots of wacky builds in addition to the setups i'm more used to seeing.

I knew Painted World was popular for PVP.. but i just had the obvious realization that the optional boss means you can keep the area open for invasions. Such a cool area, probably the best looking in the game. is SL120PVP popular here? I got invaded a couple of times. Looking for that red soapstone, I forgot where it is.

The red soapstone is at the top of the spiral staircase in the center of the world. The painted world is by far my favourite PvP area, but it's not anywhere as popular as the forest, and most of the time I do end up invading people that are actually trying to play the level not for PvP purposes. I leave Priscilla alive for the exact reason that you've stated, then do Dark Wraith invasions. It's more fun than the forest for me simply because of the hide and seek aspect, and there are usually more than one way to reach an area where the opponent is hiding.

The whole camping with a friend in full havel / giant's gear in the forest or dark anor londo annoys me to no end. I've only seen 2 opponents each time though, because they can stay in private chat this way. They proceed to kick my ass 90% of the time, then do the "Come at me bro" or the "stay down bitch" gestures.

The worst I've encountered is probably being sandwiched by 2 buddies, who take turns casting TWoP followed by WoG spam. There's just nothing you can do in such situations.

What's the best way to handle 2v1 situations? I've got a whole bunch of character builds, but the only time where I actually win in a 2v1 is via a lucky backstab using a speed class or a well placed crystal soul spear. An ultra greatsword does nothing when your opponents are full havel gear with an ultra greatsword as well.

Sullichin

The red soapstone is at the top of the spiral staircase in the center of the world. The painted world is by far my favourite PvP area, but it's not anywhere as popular as the forest, and most of the time I do end up invading people that are actually trying to play the level not for PvP purposes. I leave Priscilla alive for the exact reason that you've stated, then do Dark Wraith invasions. It's more fun than the forest for me simply because of the hide and seek aspect, and there are usually more than one way to reach an area where the opponent is hiding.

The whole camping with a friend in full havel / giant's gear in the forest or dark anor londo annoys me to no end. I've only seen 2 opponents each time though, because they can stay in private chat this way. They proceed to kick my ass 90% of the time, then do the "Come at me bro" or the "stay down bitch" gestures.

The worst I've encountered is probably being sandwiched by 2 buddies, who take turns casting TWoP followed by WoG spam. There's just nothing you can do in such situations.

What's the best way to handle 2v1 situations? I've got a whole bunch of character builds, but the only time where I actually win in a 2v1 is via a lucky backstab using a speed class or a well placed crystal soul spear. An ultra greatsword does nothing when your opponents are full havel gear with an ultra greatsword as well.

Thanks, I got the red soap stone. Have already been summoned to fight in several worlds and been invaded a few times - Painted world seems pretty active. I had to step away from my PS3, I got invaded and someone just killed me immediately. Fair enough I suppose, but when this happens to me I wait for a minute at least, because I know there's often lulls in the action in PVP. Anyway, he invaded me twice more and I beat him both times :D Really liking painted world PVP, and 1v1 PVP in general. But wtf is with people summoning me via red soap stone and then chugging estus when i'm about to kill them. You wanted to pvp, at least make it fair.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Almost had a heart-attack when I saw this had slipped to page 2. Too many community threads these days!

I managed to keep my new pyro at SL20 through Capra and free Laurentius from the Depths. Back at Firelink, I spent a good 30k souls on early fire spells and upgrades. Can't wait to take him for a spin tonight!

Oh, and two quick questions: You start with the Fireball spell as a pyro, so does that mean you don't have to buy it? What are some recommended pryomancies to 'double up' on, and what's the earliest you can do so (assuming only NG+ and onward)?

And let's maybe not start the Estus chugging debate again...

Zeth

I need to decide which armor to upgrade. I have Silver Knight's and Havel's. Is there anything better coming up? S or O's armor? Also have gargoyle helm which I've been wearing a lot to keep wait down, I don't know much about heavier armor.

Also just got Demon Great Machette to +15, so amazing.

Edit: Vit is 24, End 26. Can't decide which to invest in. I like the idea of using Havel's but I don't know how viable that is. I feel like vit is enough for NG though. This is mainly PvE

The Drake Sword seems kinda ridiculous though. Super-powerful compared to any swords I've got access to, super-easy to get, and relatively early in the game... Though now that I've got it, I don't know how to deal with the Hellkite dragon, since all he does is sit on his perch and bellow flame. I suppose I can come back later when I get a suped-up bow and snipe him, but I wanna get to that bonfire : /

it is pretty OP for the beginning but by the time you reach Anor Londo you can make much, much better alternatives. i've actually never seriously used it tbh though i have several of them.

This is when you start chucking dung pie at them.

damn straight. always kept a pile in reserve for such dickish situations.

maomaoIYP

Oh, and two quick questions: You start with the Fireball spell as a pyro, so does that mean you don't have to buy it? What are some recommended pryomancies to 'double up' on, and what's the earliest you can do so (assuming only NG+ and onward)?

You start with the fireball spell, and that pyromancer that you rescue will still have it for sale, so you can buy it again. For PvE, just double up on whatever spell fits your play style I suppose, but for PvP I tend to feel that the combustion spells are the best, because of the very short cast time. Whenever I fight a pyromancer, I'm really happy when they cast fireball spells because it normally means a free backstab for me.

And I always use a Lloyd's Talisman....never met an honest PvP opponent before....

sleepykyo

PVP in this game would be a lot more interesting if the dark wood grain ring didn't exist.

Agreed. Tempted to join the forest group just I can be yet another one of legions middleweights that move like a lightweight w/the best roll in the game.

edit: In dark londo, I invaded as a Darkmoon and there seemed to some sort of a ghost that attacked either party. It wasn't a dark spirit or spirit of vengeance. And it didn't look like the fog ring. It looked the normal blue representations of players. Did I finally run across the vagrant item being thing or was it just possibly a texture loading error.

malfcn

There is a corpse near an opening (toward bottom of Tomb of Giants) that I can't seem to reach.. In the vicinity (above) Leeroy.

maomaoIYP

There is a corpse near an opening (toward bottom of Tomb of Giants) that I can't seem to reach.. In the vicinity (above) Leeroy.

Right after the golden fog door there's a skeleton archer shooting at you from the left, and a item drop just behind him. Kill the skeleton, then do a running jump behind the dead body with the drop. You'll land on a platform that will lead to the silver serpent ring.

Adamm

I hate Blighttown!

Its dark, you keep falling of the edge, everything poisons you, you are constantly being shot my some archer & the FPS is terrible!

Please tell me this is the worst zone in the game! :(

mxgt

Banned
I hate Blighttown!

Its dark, you keep falling of the edge, everything poisons you, you are constantly being shot my some archer & the FPS is terrible!

Please tell me this is the worst zone in the game! :(

Lost Izalith is the worst.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
mxgt said:
Lost Izalith is the worst.

With a good bow and charred orange ring its a buffalo hunt :D

Blighttown is in my opinion the best zone in the game, framerate's a mild annoyance in spots but if you kill everything and knock their bodies off the ledges it's not a big issue. Beyond that, its got the most intricate layout and most variety of enemies to deal with of any zone.

krakov

Almost had a heart-attack when I saw this had slipped to page 2. Too many community threads these days!

I managed to keep my new pyro at SL20 through Capra and free Laurentius from the Depths. Back at Firelink, I spent a good 30k souls on early fire spells and upgrades. Can't wait to take him for a spin tonight!

Make sure to get all you can of combustion and it's stronger version. It's pretty good for DPS and won't leave you open for long, unlike most other pyro.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Agreed. Tempted to join the forest group just I can be yet another one of legions middleweights that move like a lightweight w/the best roll in the game.

edit: In dark londo, I invaded as a Darkmoon and there seemed to some sort of a ghost that attacked either party. It wasn't a dark spirit or spirit of vengeance. And it didn't look like the fog ring. It looked the normal blue representations of players. Did I finally run across the vagrant item being thing or was it just possibly a texture loading error.

Did you invade with the ring or the orb? Dark Anor Londo can have up to three Darkmoon invaders in it at once from the ring, and a Darkwraith can also invade, in which case the Darkwraith is hostile to both the host player and his co-op phantoms and the Darkmoons. I suppose it could be possible if you invaded with the Blue Eye Orb and ended up there that you might count as hostile to the Darkmoons that invaded using the ring.

Vagrants are sort of pointy, lumbering, crab-looking things, so it definitely wasn't one of those. In all my time playing Dark Souls I've only ever encountered two of them, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom