• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... this game is hard...

I'm suffering... and i 've just started yesterday...

Keep it at it. It takes some time just to get comfortable with the controls but at some point it everything will just click and you will be plowing through areas where you used to get your ass handed to you.

A good weapon to get for beginners is the Drake Sword. It will one shot pretty much everyone for the first few levels.

ashk

I've made a pyromancer, Wich attributes should i focus?

Starting class has very little influence on your game except in the beginning. You could start out as a warrior without any spells and end up as a mage. What stats you focus on depends on the way you want to play the game. But if you want to continue to focus on using pyromancy, the only thing it scales with is your glove, so be sure to upgrade it regularly. Other than that you're pretty free to choose how you would like to develop your character.

Sullichin

Indeed, such a shitty item.

I use paladin's set with some heavier gauntlets/leggings for poise, and with an offhand weapon I can still stay under 50%.. but I feel like I'm giving myself a big disadvantage when I do this instead of using lighter armor with the DWGR. I have this massive axe, I shouldn't be able to flip around looking fairly ridiculous. I don't really know how they should nerf it though. Maybe make the running speed a little slower.

MechaX

Indeed, such a shitty item.

They probably should have handled it a little bit like the Ring of Great Strength in Demon's Souls; it gives you a set greater weight burden, but it could still interact with the differing versions of rolls in Dark Souls in the sense that putting on the ring won't suddenly make you fast roll and sprint as if you were armed with napkins.

MechaX

While Pyro throwing speed does increase with Dex, its both so minimal that it doesn't even matter and it was tested with like 99 dex compared to 18 dex. So don't worry about it too much. Pyro only comes down to upgrading the glove with normal currency souls.

sleepykyo

Did you invade with the ring or the orb? Dark Anor Londo can have up to three Darkmoon invaders in it at once from the ring, and a Darkwraith can also invade, in which case the Darkwraith is hostile to both the host player and his co-op phantoms and the Darkmoons. I suppose it could be possible if you invaded with the Blue Eye Orb and ended up there that you might count as hostile to the Darkmoons that invaded using the ring.

Vagrants are sort of pointy, lumbering, crab-looking things, so it definitely wasn't one of those. In all my time playing Dark Souls I've only ever encountered two of them, personally.

Invaded via orb. Must have a texture loading error then since the Darkmoon was just a blue ghost instead of the usual Darkmoon appearance.

Sullichin

Someone told me to get up DEX for pyro...

the reason you probably heard this is because increasing DEX speeds up the cast time for pyromancy/sorcery. However, this is not enough of a reason alone to upgrade DEX imo. It takes a lot to even make a difference and it's not that big of a difference. You should only upgrade DEX if you are using a weapon that scales with DEX, or put enough points in it to meet the minimum DEX requirement for a weapon you want to use. For a first playthrough, I recommend playing until you find a few weapons you like, meet their minimum requirements, and then upgrade them to lightning or fire down the line. You'll never regret upping VIT and END, but if you're putting points into STR or DEX, you should have a reason to, because it might be useless. As a rule of thumb, make sure your attack rating is increasing on the level up screen if you're going to put points into STR/DEX.

Of course this is assuming you're going to be sticking with a melee weapon/pyromancy glove and not switch play styles to a faith build or something. Good thing about pyro is that you don't need to level up to increase the power of the spells. So if down the line you wanna shelve your pyro glove and become a caster, you can pump points into INT then. I think it's the best starting class period, and the best for a new player.

I also recommend obtaining the Ring of Favor and Protection - it's a ring that breaks if you ever take it off, but its benefits are worth it so just keep it on: a permanent, sizable increase to HP, equip load, and stamina. Available very early on. You'll miss a quest later in the game if you get it early, but I think it's worth it. And if you DON'T get it early, you'll be without
a bonfire at firelink shrine
until you complete that quest. If you're interested, read up on this guy: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Knight+Lautrec

Dresden

I don't like the DWGR because it eliminates the decision to be made in either having light armor/fast rolls/no poise, or heavy armor/fat rolls/poise. Just go full giant's + mask and ninjaflip around, what's the point of using anything else?

For the first playthrough I do recommend against reading up on Lautrec. Just let things unfold.

However, do read up Siegmeyer's questline, because that thing is obtuse as fuck, and the reward is just too good to skip.

krakov

I'll say farming for slabs in New Londo is completely viable, got three of them now in maybe 20-ish runs. Enemies are no threat and you gain chunks as well, pretty perfect farming area imho. Put sign down for some 4K practice and get a good amount of souls as well.

Dresden

I'll say farming for slabs in New Londo is completely viable, got three of them now in maybe 20-ish runs. Enemies are no threat and you gain chunks as well, pretty perfect farming area imho. Put sign down for some 4K practice and get a good amount of souls as well.

I farmed there once for three hours, zero slabs, lost will to live (farming for twinkling titanite pre-patch killed my will to play beforehand). I just don't like farming in general.

In darkroot garden around where shiva and the bandit npc are, if you look over the ledge you see a gigantic forest area. I don't think that area is used in the game at all. So maybe this is the connection between the DLC rumor and the Dark Forest trademark?

mxgt

Banned

I'd say it isn't because it's completely random. I've farmed there for hours before and gotten nothing.

Sullichin

I don't like the DWGR because it eliminates the decision to be made in either having light armor/fast rolls/no poise, or heavy armor/fat rolls/poise. Just go full giant's + mask and ninjaflip around, what's the point of using anything else?

For the first playthrough I do recommend against reading up on Lautrec. Just let things unfold.

However, do read up Siegmeyer's questline, because that thing is obtuse as fuck, and the reward is just too good to skip.

Eh he causes more trouble than he's worth imo and I kind of wish I just got the ring right away on my first playthrough. I don't care about spoilers in this game though, so if you do, yeah, let things unfold. I have still never finished Siegmeyer's quest in any playthrough. Got him all the way to LI my first run and then never really bothered with him again.

Can't wait to go home and do some more Painted World PVP.

sixghost

Is it true that the mimic head is a guaranteed drop now? Does anyone know where? I had given up all hope of ever getting one of those things with the old drop rate.

Also, I've been thinking of starting another character, so far I've done a DEX pyro with bandit knife, a Faith tank with lightning claymore or spear, and a INT/DEX CMW bandit knife with some sorceries. Any suggestions for a build that would play differently than those three?

Dresden

Is it true that the mimic head is a guaranteed drop now? Does anyone know where? I had given up all hope of ever getting one of those things with the old drop rate.

Also, I've been thinking of starting another character, so far I've done a DEX pyro with bandit knife, a Faith tank with lightning claymore or spear, and a INT/DEX CMW bandit knife with some sorceries. Any suggestions for a build that would play differently than those three?

just do a SL1 playthrough.

Sullichin

I tore through the game with a STR build. The heavy weapons are fun to use. And a low level run is fun and brings back some of the challenge lost with consecutive playthroughs. I beat most of the game as SL15, I should do a SL1 run as well.

krakov

It's likely a lot faster than replaying the game, but I guess BB glitching is the new shit. Nothing seems especially unlikely to drop since the patch.

Booshka

Well darn. Wish I knew about that a long time ago.

All this duping madness just happened like a few weeks ago. Now everyone is doing it to get PvP builds started quicker and gank people even harder for low-level twink builds. Oh, and Divine Blessings everywhere...

Sullichin

Well darn. Wish I knew about that a long time ago.

When the glitch was first discovered, it was thought that you'd have to delete the original character whose BB you were duping, but then someone found out how to do it without deleting anyone, so there's no reason not to try it out. I just used it for the first time recently, its really useful because my first character has tons of items I wanted to try out, but it was a shitty, really non-efficient build.

sleepykyo

Now everyone is doing it to get PvP builds started quicker

Main reason I keep hoping someone will find a respec/delevel trick. I brought a character up to 50str to try out the dragon weapons one-handed. So not worth the 10 levels.

I did run across an invader that was chugging those divine blessings like cheap beer.

Booshka

Main reason I keep hoping someone will find a respec/delevel trick. I brought a character up to 50str to try out the dragon weapons one-handed. So not worth the 10 levels.

I did run across an invader that was chugging those divine blessings like cheap beer.

I think you should be able to respec your character right when you start a NG+. That way you would at least have to earn your first playthrough legit, and live with whatever mistakes you made leveling your character for your first playthrough.

Man, so many wasted points in RES, FAI, and INT. Could easily shave off 10 levels and get down to 131. Could probably even kick my DEX down from 20 to 14 and get right at 125 but I would lose the Iaito.

Sullichin

Haha there you go, like a Dark Hand, just call it a Soul hand, and players can use it against other players, ultimate trolling.

So exactly like the soul sucker from Demon's Souls?
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/soulsucker

So, according to the wiki, if you die as an invading phantom in DeS, you lose a soul level?? That's crazy. I've only done a few invasions in that game, but never noticed that. I beat the last boss on my first try, but he did get that soulsucker attack on me twice, and I had to take my pants off (in the game!) in the middle of the fight because I was suddenly over encumbered. Intense.

I like the idea of being able to respec in NG+. This is pretty much the bottomless box glitch though, with tougher enemies and I guess your spells and stuff would carry over too.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So, according to the wiki, if you die as an invading phantom in DeS, you lose a soul level?? That's crazy. I've only done a few invasions in that game, but never noticed that. I beat the last boss on my first try, but he did get that soulsucker attack on me twice, and I had to take my pants off (in the game!) in the middle of the fight because I was suddenly over encumbered. Intense.

It only happens if you die to something other than a player while invading. So if you invade and fall off a cliff in Demon's Souls you lose a soul level, but if you're killed by the host you don't.

It's what made trying to knock invaders off of tall things in Demon's Souls so much fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gah... so annoyed. Wanted to get a fog ring and couldn't be bothered PVP'ing to get it, so I decided to do the Necromancers in Catacombs.

Now as is known, one will always drop... however if you happen to miss the drop because you get ganked trying to pick it up... you're shit out of luck.

Obviously I can still get the one from tomb, but in order to get Patches' event I need to place the lordvessel in order to get the clerics to move... and if I do that I lock myself out of getting Kirk's full armour set because you can't get him to invade in Demon Valley after that occurs... not to mention in order to get down to patches I need another light source so I get to do Hydra/Dusk stuff ... grrr...

One stupid mistake has thrown my whole run off ; ;

Sullichin

Gah... so annoyed. Wanted to get a fog ring and couldn't be bothered PVP'ing to get it, so I decided to do the Necromancers in Catacombs.

Now as is known, one will always drop... however if you happen to miss the drop because you get ganked trying to pick it up... you're shit out of luck.

Obviously I can still get the one from tomb, but in order to get Patches' event I need to place the lordvessel in order to get the clerics to move... and if I do that I lock myself out of getting Kirk's full armour set because you can't get him to invade in Demon Valley after that occurs... not to mention in order to get down to patches I need another light source so I get to do Hydra/Dusk stuff ... grrr...

What SL are you? If you're on PS3 I might be able to help. I never use the ring of fog.

maomaoIYP

It's the mimic in the archives treasure box room.

Do a pure magic build. Low VIT, low END.

You don't need to place the lordvessel to get the skull lantern at the Patches event. Kirk only invades in the Demon valley AFTER you place the lordvessel, so you're still good, unless you're going for darkwraiths. Just place the lordvessel, go down to Patches, get the skull lantern, warp out, get the fog ring, clear lost izalith and get the sunlit maggot, and then clear tomb of giants.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sullichin said:
What SL are you? If you're on PS3 I might be able to help. I never use the ring of fog.

This char is SL41, she's just a quick re-roll to try stacking int with zero farming, so its not a big deal at all. I just got up to the archers in Anor Londo and realized how much easier RoF makes getting past them!

I was out of poison arrows so I decided to bounce back and do catacombs quickly, which turned out to be harder than I expected... lol.

Blessed weapons kinda suck with a measly 8 faith and I was rushing way too much... totally my own stupidity to blame.

Thanks for the offer dude, but I'm gonna dig myself out of this one :D

maomaoIYP said:
You don't need to place the lordvessel to get the skull lantern at the Patches event. Kirk only invades in the Demon valley AFTER you place the lordvessel, so you're still good.

That's a relief. Thanks.

Do the clerics move automatically if you enter tomb? Or will I need to do a second run to get the Anastacia & Co mini-event?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
maomaoIYP said:
Do a pure magic build. Low VIT, low END.

Its an interesting way to play, but anyone thinking of trying it should be warned that the difficulty of this style goes way up once you hit Sen's Fortress.

Getting your shots in on the snakemen can be tricky in tight spaces, their shields give a hefty cut to damage. Pyromancy does a lot better than Sorcery.

malfcn

Where should I go now?

Vit : 31
Attun: 8
End: 30
Str 28
Dex: 40
Res 11
Int 10
Fai 9

Wearing Ornstein's set and a Silver Sword +5

Embers that I have:
Large
Crystal
Enchanted
Divine
Large Divine

elohel

Where should I go now?

Vit : 31
Attun: 8
End: 30
Str 28
Dex: 40
Res 22
Int 10
Fai 9

Wearing Ornstein's set and a Silver Sword +5

Embers that I have:
Large
Crystal
Enchanted
Divine
Large Divine

either go all into str or all into magic? maybe?

have you gotten the
3rd blacksmith?

malfcn

I am just a hack and slash player. I can't/don't cast anything. I have found the Smith's near Sen's, one in Anor and one in Catacombs.

I want to upgrade stuff, but I am indecisive. Accidentally put a point in Resistance (I think) early on. Currently at SL85 @ around 100 hours.

Sullichin

I am just a hack and slash player. I can't/don't cast anything. I have found the Smith's near Sen's, one in Anor and one in Catacombs.

I want to upgrade stuff, but I am indecisive. Accidentally put a point in Resistance (I think) early on. Currently at SL85 @ around 100 hours.

Your weapon is pretty maxed out unless you wanna go the enchanted damage route, but if you don't wanna add anything to INT or FAI, I suggest crafting/maxing out a new weapon to play with, maybe one with better STR scaling, and upgrading strength? Or even another one that scales best with DEX. What do you have on your plate that you're unsure about upgrading? Otherwise, you can't go wrong with more VIT or END.

elohel

yeah think that's all of em......

what weapons have you upgraded so far?

what weapon types you like? do you have a black knight greataxe?

malfcn

I started out with s shield and halberd, but have moved to a shield and sword. I haven;t really upgraded anything. Since I have a novice understanding of the system, and fear of wasting stuff.

Sullichin

I started out with s shield and halberd, but have moved to a shield and sword. I haven;t really upgraded anything. Since I have a novice understanding of the system, and fear of wasting stuff.

I'd find a weapon with a move set you really like, and upgrade the shit out of it. You won't really waste upgrade materials because you can farm them, so don't worry. I would only spend a titanite slab on a weapon you definitely plan on using though. Also see if you can upgrade your shield, it will add stability which means it will take less stamina with each block. Definitely worth maxing out or nearly maxing out your main shield.
This game has such a massive learning curve. If you make another character after this one, you'll probably have a much more 'efficient' build. Where are you at in the game?

malfcn

I'd find a weapon with a move set you really like, and upgrade the shit out of it. You won't really waste upgrade materials because you can farm them, so don't worry. I would only spend a titanite slab on a weapon you definitely plan on using though. Also see if you can upgrade your shield, it will add stability which means it will take less stamina with each block. Definitely worth maxing out or nearly maxing out your main shield.
This game has such a massive learning curve. If you make another character after this one, you'll probably have a much more 'efficient' build. Where are you at in the game?

I believe I am sitting near Nito, in the Tombs. I have killed the Scaless Dragon. This is not my type of game, so yah the curve for learning is above my head. Am I fine with the End and Vit? I don't mind putting a point in Str. Can I make my Silver Straight to +10? And I should give all my embers away? Reason to keep all the boss souls, or use them on something?

Chaos Blade looks cool.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
malfcn said:
I believe I am sitting near Nito, in the Tombs. I have killed the Scaless Dragon. This is not my type of game, so yah the curve for learning is above my head. Am I fine with the End and Vit? I don't mind putting a point in Str.

Looking at your build, you're in good shape.

Do you by any chance have the Iaito? Its a Katana you can get near the start of Blighttown. Its a bit of a pain to get as you need to jump a gap, and if you miss the landing and fall below it there's no way back without zoning back to the bonfire in Depths.

Its extremely powerful (fast, hard hits) and is heavily modified by dexterity.

Also, make sure you grab yourself a bow, with high dex you can do solid damage and it'll help a ton in a couple of the endgame areas.

Sullichin

I believe I am sitting near Nito, in the Tombs. I have killed the Scaless Dragon. This is not my type of game, so yah the curve for learning is above my head. Am I fine with the End and Vit? I don't mind putting a point in Str. Can I make my Silver Straight to +10? And I should give all my embers away? Reason to keep all the boss souls, or use them on something?

Chaos Blade looks cool.

The weapon upgrade system in this game is pretty convoluted. There's weapons that you can take to +5, +10, +15, some weapons are eligible for fire/chaos/lightning/divine/occult paths, some can be enchanted with spells and resins and some cant, various upgrade materials required, etc. That's why a wiki is always useful. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/silver-knight-straight-sword

I think that's the one you have, right? if so, it's maxed out at +5 (like all of the weapons that require twinkling titanite for upgrading - I think). It has E scaling with STR, C with DEX. So that means a point in DEX should add more to your AR than a point in STR. But since your DEX is already 40, i'd probably leave them alone, because after 40 the difference isn't as noticeable. A point in STR probably won't do much for that weapon. That weapon can also be enchanted with things like gold pine resin or crystal magic weapon, if you're so inclined.

Basically, if you're going to upgrade str/dex, i'd do so based around the requirements/scaling of the NEXT weapon you plan on using, not the silver knight straight sword. You're already almost done with the game. If you already meet the requirements for the next weapon you want to mess with, i'd put any additional SLs you get at this point in VIT and END really.

I haven't used the chaos blade, but I was a fan of queelagg's furysword on my first playthrough. That uses a boss soul, and it's worth making. I don't have much experience with the other boss weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom