• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

good to know, looks like i need mask of the father for dwgr to be viable for me on this build. i'd probably do better with that setup, but i think i'll stick with regular roll/high poise/armor that I like. Like I said i feel better about my wins if they didn't use the combo of mask of father/dwgr, although dwgr is probably worth my while to better avoid laggy ass backstabs.

The DWGR has changed my playstyle in general, even when going through the regular game in PvE; I used to slowly move through levels trading blocks then attacking when there was an opening. Now I just two hand all my weapons and roll around being evasive and getting in hits when I can and backstabbing enemies all the time, it's a lot more fun and also much quicker style of play. This is the typical PvP style as well, so I just play like that all the time, and unless you are fast rolling with low encumbrance and light weapons, you need the DWGR to do it.

Sullichin

The DWGR has changed my playstyle in general, even when going through the regular game in PvE; I used to slowly move through levels trading blocks then attacking when there was an opening. Now I just two hand all my weapons and roll around being evasive and getting in hits when I can and backstabbing enemies all the time, it's a lot more fun and also much quicker style of play. This is the typical PvP style as well, so I just play like that all the time, and unless you are fast rolling with low encumbrance and light weapons, you need the DWGR to do it.

I do mostly 2 handed too, in pvp at least, switch to 1 handed sometimes. If I bring my END to 46 i will be able to have 56 poise and still use DWGR. Might be the best thing for me to do, I'll still be able to use armor I like and not have to use the stupid father mask. I still have a few SLs to go before 120 and there's no stat i need to upgrade.

Booshka

I do mostly 2 handed too, in pvp at least, switch to 1 handed sometimes. If I bring my END to 46 i will be able to have 56 poise and still use DWGR. Might be the best thing for me to do, I'll still be able to use armor I like and not have to use the stupid father mask. I still have a few SLs to go before 120 and there's no stat i need to upgrade.

What kind of gear are you using that you need 46 Endurance to get 56 Poise, also, are you using the FaP ring? The easiest way to get 56 poise is to wear Havel's leggings and gauntlets, another combo I use is Giant's Helm, Leggings and Gauntlets. Both of those combos offer 56 poise.

Sullichin

What kind of gear are you using that you need 46 Endurance to get 56 Poise, also, are you using the FaP ring? The easiest way to get 56 poise is to wear Havel's leggings and gauntlets, another combo I use is Giant's Helm, Leggings and Gauntlets. Both of those combos offer 56 poise.

Well, 56 poise and still be able to use some of the paladin's armor which I like. I can do havel's leggings/gauntlets and some light armor right now and get 56 poise no problem. In fact I've been testing that setup and it's working quite well for me. and yeah i'm usng FaP ring, so I can't use havel's as well. But if I bring my end up to 46, I'll have better defense, same poise, still be able to use dwgr. Idk. Using BKGA. But i think you guys are right, the dwgr is too good to not use.

EDIT: bringing my END to 46 would leave me at SL116. Is it smart to stay a little shy of 120 if want to keep invading as a darkwraith?

Booshka

Well, 56 poise and still be able to use some of the paladin's armor which I like. I can do havel's leggings/gauntlets and some light armor right now and get 56 poise no problem. In fact I've been testing that setup and it's working quite well for me. and yeah i'm usng FaP ring, so I can't use havel's as well. But if I bring my end up to 46, I'll have better defense, same poise, still be able to use dwgr. Idk. Using BKGA.

Ah ok, on my Demon Great machete build I like to use Giant's Helm Leggings and Gauntlets for 56 poise, and then a Light Armor Chestpiece for good defenses. The Dingy Robe +10 and Sage Robe +5 are both excellent for providing defense at low weight The Giant's and Robe combo usually provides around 380 physical defense with all the others right above 300. They both have good bleed resist as well. The DGM is 18.0 so it is similar to the BKGA in weight. When I fight magic characters in PvP I like to switch to Havel's Gauntlets and Leggings, then put on Logan's Big Hat at +5, combined with the Dingy Robe you can get nearly 400 magic defense.

If you don't have a Dingy Robe or Sage Robe, try upgrading a Wanderer Coat, that has good stats as well.

If you want to wear the Paladin Armor Chestpiece, you could try Elite Knight Gauntlets, Giant Leggings, Giant Helm and then Paladin Armor, it offers 61 poise and looks like it works well for the encumbrance you are aiming for.

Sullichin

Ah ok, on my Demon Great machete build I like to use Giant's Helm Leggings and Gauntlets for 56 poise, and then a Light Armor Chestpiece for good defenses. The Dingy Robe +10 and Sage Robe +5 are both excellent for providing defense at low weight The Giant's and Robe combo usually provides around 380 physical defense with all the others right above 300. They both have good bleed resist as well. The DGM is 18.0 so it is similar to the BKGA in weight. When I fight magic characters in PvP I like to switch to Havel's Gauntlets and Leggings, then put on Logan's Big Hat at +5, combined with the Dingy Robe you can get nearly 400 magic defense.

If you don't have a Dingy Robe or Sage Robe, try upgrading a Wanderer Coat, that has good stats as well.

If you want to wear the Paladin Armor Chestpiece, you could try Elite Knight Gauntlets, Giant Leggings, Giant Helm and then Paladin Armor, it offers 61 poise and looks like it works well for the encumbrance you are aiming for.

Giant Helm, Paladin chest, Elite Knight gauntlets, giant leggings gives me 59 poise, but the equip load is 53.6. I need 49.8 or below to use DWGR. thanks though! Even though this character was born from BB glitch, I stupidly did not transfer everything from the original character over, and i kind of rushed through the game. So no dingy set or sage set. Just ran to AL to get the giants set.

EDIT: the 53 was actually with the demons great machete, which I use on this build sometimes... it's 51 with the BKGA and grass crest shield, and 48.6 without any shield. So I can use this.. not sure if I want to go without any shield though. Hmm...

Booshka

Are you using a Shield? That'll throw off all my numbers if so.

EDIT: I'd say go with no shield, but that's my style, and I don't like to take my Endurance past 40, but if you are still under level 120 and can spare some points to use a shield, it could be best for you. If you are using the Grass Crest just for stamina regen, ditch it and just eat green moss before and even during fights.

Sullichin

Are you using a Shield? That'll throw off all my numbers if so.

Yeah your proposed setup absolutely works if i don't use a shield. Looks pretty cool too. I usually have grass crest shield for the stamina regen/in case I want to resort to blocking. But then again I don't usually have the DWGR in pvp. I'm going to try this, thanks. Already had enough souls to totally max out the giants set i bought. I might still take my END up a bit because I stupidly already made it 43, because like I said i was running out of places to put it when i'm only melee and still under SL120. Might be better spent on taking VIT past 50.

EDIT: 375 defense, 59 poise, can still use DWGR... thanks.

Booshka

Yeah your proposed setup absolutely works if i don't use a shield. Looks pretty cool too. I usually have grass crest shield for the stamina regen/in case I want to resort to blocking. But then again I don't usually have the DWGR in pvp. I'm going to try this, thanks. Already had enough souls to totally max out the giants set i bought. I might still take my END up a bit because I stupidly already made it 43, because like I said i was running out of places to put it when i'm only melee and still under SL120. Might be better spent on taking VIT past 50.

EDIT: 375 defense, 59 poise, can still use DWGR... thanks.

I'm pretty sure higher endurance to wear better armor is better than the 8-10 points of HP you get when leveling Vitality past 50, so I think you're good.

Arrrgghhh! As much as I love this game it frustrates the hell out of me sometimes. Reah of Thorolound somehow got killed by some bone towers that just spawned right next to her, and when I went human to go after the gravelord, I got killed by an invader. So in two hours of playing I wasted 3 humanity, got a NPC merchant killed, and basically made no progress. I can't wait to be done with The Tomb of Giants.

krakov

I wish they put in some more leaderboards in the game later on if possible. I understand the book of guilty but the chaos servant one is completely useless. Why are there no leaderboards for Darkmoon or Gravelord, etc. Would probably bring some balance to the PvP and make people try out the other covenants. Right now I feel the usual tactic is behave like a total asshole and hope to get indicted.

maomaoIYP

What is worse than the DWGR is the fucking lag. Last night I did hit R2 randomly....only for the parry to actually connect a full second later. Or when I do a backstab and the opponent takes zero damage. Or when HCSM fires 1 second right after I cast it, targeting 3 feet of nothingless right in front of me. Or getting backstabbed when the opponent is clearly in front of me.

Every damn match plays like this for me.

Mike M

Nick N
Fell down a hole in the Deptgs, got attacked by some frogs, got cursed, and instantly died.

Does the curse mist they spray actually inflict damage, or was it the combination of instantly losing half my HP combined with the fall damage that did me in? Can they do any further harm when I'm already cursed?

krakov

Fell down a hole in the Deptgs, got attacked by some frogs, got cursed, and instantly died.

Does the curse mist they spray actually inflict damage, or was it the combination of instantly losing half my HP combined with the fall damage that did me in? Can they do any further harm when I'm already cursed?

I don't think they actually do damage, kill them fast and stay out of the mist. Use curse resistant gear and/or put on some active humanity.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mike M said:

When the curse status bar fills you get petrified and die instantly, but up until the point it does no damage.

Curse definitely used to stack, originally you could end up with your hp cut to about 15% I think they nerfed it back some with a recent patch but it definitely stacks.

The basilisk frogs in depths are pretty easy to kill, provided you attack them going down the ramps from the big hallway area in front of the Blighttown zoneline. Going that way you can pick them off easily and safely with ranged attacks.

Just be warned if you go that route as human, you'll get invaded by an npc black phantom, most likely on the way back.

cj_iwakura

Hey uh, you guys know the themes on the J-PSN store are out, and FREE, right?

http://andriasang.com/comzad/dark_souls_themes/

Here's how to find them:

-From the main menu, go to the one with PS3© (Fourth one down)
-Then go to the third one from the left(looks like a picture frame)
-Then go to the last icon with the 50 in it.
-Go to the fourth symbol from the left
-Dark Souls themes, fist one there.

Enjoy!

I'm rolling Darkwraith again.

full.jpg

Audioboxer

Been helping people with Capra as solaire for a few hours :p

Good to still see newbies (no bb glitch/with basic weapons & armour).

Edit: divine or occult claymore for my build? Faith will be going to 50.

krakov

Audίoboxer;34640773 said:

Occult, though fire/chaos/lightning is probably better.

Booshka

Audίoboxer;34640773 said:

Normal +15, Enchant it with Darkmoon Blade or Sunlight Blade.

Audioboxer

Cool! I may go with lightning on a claymore, and +15 on another sword for sunlight blade. Sun light blade is only one charge :(

By the way is co-op matched solely on level or new game plus status as well? If I were to start new game plus at say level 30 would I be able to be summoned by people on their first playthrough? Want to use the end boss soul to get that sunbro spear miracle and help newbies if possible :D

Booshka

Audίoboxer;34645191 said:
Cool! I may go with lightning on a claymore, and +15 on another sword for sunlight blade. Sun light blade is only one charge :(

By the way is co-op matched solely on level or new game plus status as well? If I were to start new game plus at say level 30 would I be able to be summoned by people on their first playthrough? Want to use the end boss soul to get that sunbro spear miracle and help newbies if possible :D

It's level only.

Dresden

Still forced to play offline . . . my Lautrecbro is going smoothly through the game. I was dreading Lost Izalith but I went through the whole thing without dying. Felt like they reduced the aggro range on the zombie legs there. Also the framerate was much better on the ps3 version, from what I remember of the 360 days.

I think I've settled on his level: 62, with like 48 vit, 30 endurance, and enough str and dex to use elemental Shotels. Will probably just Darkmoon a lot with this guy. With the ring of FaP and DWGR I'm running 1750~ health and 60 poise (Favored set with Giant's Gloves subbed in).

Booshka

Still forced to play offline . . . my Lautrecbro is going smoothly through the game. I was dreading Lost Izalith but I went through the whole thing without dying. Felt like they reduced the aggro range on the zombie legs there. Also the framerate was much better on the ps3 version, from what I remember of the 360 days.

I think I've settled on his level: 62, with like 48 vit, 30 endurance, and enough str and dex to use elemental Shotels. Will probably just Darkmoon a lot with this guy. With the ring of FaP and DWGR I'm running 1750~ health and 60 poise (Favored set with Giant's Gloves subbed in).

You gonna switch to Red Tearstone when weak?

Dresden

Nah, I'm not pro enough for hyper mode.

I was thinking about going hornet/DWGR with a chaos rapier instead, but it wouldn't be Lautrec without the fap ring and the shotels.

Booshka

Nah, I'm not pro enough for hyper mode.

I was thinking about going hornet/DWGR with a chaos rapier instead, but it wouldn't be Lautrec without the fap ring and the shotels.

That's why I asked about the Red Tearstone ring, that is unique to Lautrec as well.

Dresden

Like I said, I'm not pro enough for hyper mode. (Either I switch it on mid-combat or start chubbrolling like a genuine Lautrec by not using the DWGR . . . both are rather inaccessible for me.)

Drakken

Finally bought this and will probably be starting later tonight or tomorrow. SO hyped to play it; pretty sure I'm gonna love this from everything I've read.

I have two concerns before starting:

1) Choosing a class - I don't want to choose a class only to find five hours into the game that it's making things incredibly tough. Any suggestions for a first-time player? Generally I like to be able to mix things up with both magic and physical attacks depending on the situation - you know, keep my options open. Seems like a pyromancer might be good for that?

2) Online interactivity - The idea of other players being able to attack me at any time is really off-putting, especially as I'm just going to be starting out. However, being able to read notes and see the corpses from where other players died (is this how it works?) sounds like it would make for an interesting experience. Thus, I'm not sure whether I should play while connected to XBL. What do you guys recommend?

Any other non-spoilery tips/suggestions besides what's listed in the OP's mini-guide are also welcome.

The Ornstein and Smough fight is just plain infuriating... I feel like if Ornstein doesn't charge right away when you enter the fog it is an instant lose as he will be right there when I try and kill Smough.

Are there any tricks to this fight that I'm not seeing? I am using the pillars to block Smough's charge attack when he decides to use it, I then roll in and hit him 1-3 times before Ornstein decides he wants to stab me or shoot lightning at me. I've tried this fight with the Crystal Halberd and Quelaag's Furysword. While the Halberd kills one faster, I'm afraid that it is going to break soon and leave me in the dust when I need to re-learn the fight using only my sword.

The Ornstein and Smough fight is just plain infuriating... I feel like if Ornstein doesn't charge right away when you enter the fog it is an instant lose as he will be right there when I try and kill Smough.

Are there any tricks to this fight that I'm not seeing? I am using the pillars to block Smough's charge attack when he decides to use it, I then roll in and hit him 1-3 times before Ornstein decides he wants to stab me or shoot lightning at me. I've tried this fight with the Crystal Halberd and Quelaag's Furysword. While the Halberd kills one faster, I'm afraid that it is going to break soon and leave me in the dust when I need to re-learn the fight using only my sword.

Always play with another person + sunbro or with two people online.
Can't imagine fighting them one one two alone.

krakov

Finally bought this and will probably be starting later tonight or tomorrow. SO hyped to play it; pretty sure I'm gonna love this from everything I've read.

I have two concerns before starting:

1) Choosing a class - I don't want to choose a class only to find five hours into the game that it's making things incredibly tough. Any suggestions for a first-time player? Generally I like to be able to mix things up with both magic and physical attacks depending on the situation - you know, keep my options open. Seems like a pyromancer might be good for that?

2) Online interactivity - The idea of other players being able to attack me at any time is really off-putting, especially as I'm just going to be starting out. However, being able to read notes and see the corpses from where other players died (is this how it works?) sounds like it would make for an interesting experience. Thus, I'm not sure whether I should play while connected to XBL. What do you guys recommend?

Any other non-spoilery tips/suggestions besides what's listed in the OP's mini-guide are also welcome.

Class really doesn't matter at all, it just dictates your starting stats and gear, you will be able to go in any direction with any class. Other people will be able to attack you if you are Human in an area where the boss is still alive, so just stay Hollow for the first few areas if you want to be safe.

Zeth

Class really doesn't matter at all, it just dictates your starting stats and gear, you will be able to go in any direction with any class. Other people will be able to attack you if you are Human in an area where the boss is still alive, so just stay Hollow for the first few areas if you want to be safe.

Pyro would definitely be a good choice. It saves you a lot of points since you don't need to spend them on any stat to increase your pyro abilities. You only need to upgrade the pyro flame directly. That way you can spend most of your points on Vit/End and either STR/dex depending on what you want.

Well, I guess i'm going to bang my head against this boss for a while then. I really don't want to buy Xbox Live for this boss. How do you get a lot of Humanity? I'm running out on my Wanderer and I don't really see an efficient way to get more without Xbox live.

one85x

Well, I guess i'm going to bang my head against this boss for a while then. I really don't want to buy Xbox Live for this boss. How do you get a lot of Humanity? I'm running out on my Wanderer and I don't really see an efficient way to get more without Xbox live.
Kill the rats in The Depths with the covetous gold serpent ring for humanity. For O&S, you can summon Solaire on the steps near the silver knight archer. He'll make the fight a lot more manageable just by being there.

edit: The Crystal Halberd can be repaired by upgrading it. I wouldn't invest too much into it though. Quelaag's Furysword is also a very good weapon for this fight. If you haven't done so already, it's worth the Demon Titanite to upgrade, especially if you're a dex build.

Just be patient. Really, really patient. I don't bother trying to get hits in at the start of the fight, you should be arranging them in the field first. Work to a position where both are visible, don't go for 3 hits, just take one and retreat. Smough's attacks are generally easier to avoid/block so keep your eye on Ornstein, he's got some pretty good tells when he's about to pounce, wait till he's recovering before you whack Smough. If you have pyromancy that's a good option but be aware Smough's hammer acts like a shield and blocks any fireballs etc. that hit it. IDK if it blocks magic also. The most annoying thing imo is Ornstein spearing you through Smough, so if you can't see what O is doing then back off and wait for another chance.

i just ran them solo in NG+ at SL25 and oh man it was pretty intense. I'd never solo'd them before and it was probably a stupid time to try to but hey, it can be done. Took me many many tries though. In the end it really was just patience and restraint that won it.

Pyro would definitely be a good choice. It saves you a lot of points since you don't need to spend them on any stat to increase your pyro abilities. You only need to upgrade the pyro flame directly. That way you can spend most of your points on Vit/End and either STR/dex depending on what you want.

great thing about this is yeah, any build can max out a pyro glove and go to town as long as you have souls to spare. The character I'm using for the above ng+ run is a pyro starter with dex weapon focus and it's worked out just peachy.

cj_iwakura

Tried my hand at Kiln PVP before getting the Dark Lord ending.

Bunch of griefer scum. Eff that.

I'll stick to the Duke's Archives.

Now the Dark Lord Ending? That was amazing.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Framerate issues aside, I don't understand why so many people hate Blighttown. It's easily one of my favorite areas. Such an awesomely tense area to explore.

Fuck those mosquito motherfuckers though. I can only imagine that From successfully replicated what it actually feels like to try and hit a mosquito with an axe.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Framerate issues aside, I don't understand why so many people hate Blighttown. It's easily one of my favorite areas. Such an awesomely tense area to explore.

Fuck those mosquito motherfuckers though. I can only imagine that From successfully replicated what it actually feels like to try and hit a mosquito with an axe.

I'm not sure there are many other reasons. Those plus how skippable most of it is means most people don't bother with it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Are there any other unique bows to create other than the Darkmoon Bow? Also I've read its best to have your Estus flask at +7 for NG+. Why?

Joule

Trying out a dex build this time and grinded awhile for the Balder Side Sword. It's a pretty nice sword. Fast and good attack animations. Love the R2/RT stab. The balder set comparable set of armor to the elite knight (doesn't look half as cool though). The shield has good stability too.

What other dex weapons got the improved stat scaling at +15 I should look at? Going get Priscilla's Dagger but I don't see much else other than the Balder Side Sword that I want to use.

sixghost

Definitely. I skipped it the first couple times, then played through it with a lower level characters. It was fucking terrifying. I was constantly falling through the floor, and had an amazing 60-70 second chase where I was constantly falling through the floor, running into new enemies, and barely getting an estus off in time. I ended up killing everything with maybe 100 hp left.

Finding all the good loot in that level is a fucking pain though, even with a guide.

Stick with it. It's definitely doable by yourself. The hardest part is when it's 1v2. I highly recommend killing Ornstein first, as his super-form is considerably harder than Smough's.

It seems like you have the right idea though, use the pillars whenever you can to block Ornstein's ranged stuff, and just keep your eye on both of them at all times. Once you lose sight of Ornstein, or he gets too far away from Smough that you can't see them both at once, you are in trouble. Don't be afraid to just fucking run at some points. Luckily, it's easy to separate Ornstein from Smough, as he will charge at you when you are at a distance, so use that as an opportunity to get your damage on him.

Once he's dead, it's very easy to learn and dodge Smough's attacks. If he does the:
Charge: keep backing up but stay locked onto him, wait until he pulls the hammer back a little bit to dodge
Electricity: run the hell away, it's easy to see coming, you just need to be far enough away at all times to give yourself enough time to get out of it's radius
Horizontal or Vertical swings: these are extremely easy to dodge, and this is when you should be getting your damage in.

Just take your time with electric Smough. A short summary of the strategy for him is to keep backing up and dodging his charge attack, then when he stops doing it, stay just close enough to punish him when he dodge his regular hammer attacks, but be very very careful to stay far enough away so that you can run away when he does his AoE electricity attack.

That fight took me about 20 tries and 2 days to beat solo my first time through, but I'm glad I did it. It really felt like the culmination of everything I learned up until that point.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I've been about a month away from this, right when the BB transfer glitch was discovered. Did the community figure out the stats for unique NPCs yet? I'd love to play as one.

sleepykyo

Tried my hand at Kiln PVP before getting the Dark Lord ending.

Bunch of griefer scum. Eff that.

I'll stick to the Duke's Archives.

e

Now the Dark Lord Ending? That was amazing.

Thanks for the heads up on dark souls theme. Currently rocking the way of white them.

As if PVP in general isn't pretty bad. It's basically 2-3 ninja flipping giants waiting around to dp an invader.

MechaX

As if PVP in general isn't pretty bad. It's basically 2-3 ninja flipping giants waiting around to dp an invader.

It's kind of funny that you mention this because I got invaded by someone when I was playing my sorcerer build when my friends were over. They were expecting some grand fight, when it was actually two people awkwardly shuffling around waiting for the opportunity to backstab. Eventually, I just said "fuck it" and two-handed the Moonlight Greatsword and just swung at him to death.

I told them "the actual fights get even worse than that in the forest where people just camp for invaders for literal hours."

I actually wonder if PvP just doesn't lend itself to this type of game or if there is fundamentally wrong with the items and what-not for this game in particular. Never dabbled too much in Demon's PvP, so I wouldn't know if that handled things intrinsically better.

maomaoIYP

I actually wonder if PvP just doesn't lend itself to this type of game or if there is fundamentally wrong with the items and what-not for this game in particular. Never dabbled too much in Demon's PvP, so I wouldn't know if that handled things intrinsically better.

Speaking of fundamentally wrong, I keep bumping into this asshole duo that camps for invaders, casting TWoP and the other casts dragon's breathe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom