• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohel

im confused, you can get double invaded?

meaning if you're in body form, and you get invaded, you can get invaded again in the forest because of the whole covenant thing?

Zakkath

Is there even anyone left for coop in this game ? Or am I the only one fool putting his summon sign up ? I'm at the last boss now. I joined someone to kill him and he went down super easy. Now that I try my luck in my game, of course, there are no summon signs on the ground, other than those pvp guys at the entrance. Seriously, I think I had to kill all the bosses in the game solo except maybe Smough and Ornstein for which I was lucky enough to summon someone.

Soulhouf

Is there even anyone left for coop in this game ? Or am I the only one fool putting his summon sign up ? I'm at the last boss now. I joined someone to kill him and he went down super easy. Now that I try my luck in my game, of course, there are no summon signs on the ground, other than those pvp guys at the entrance. Seriously, I think I had to kill all the bosses in the game solo except maybe Smough and Ornstein for which I was lucky enough to summon someone.

I still see some summon signs in Kiln of the first flame at level 290.
What's your level? I have a lv50 character, so if you are in that range, I can help you.

sleepykyo

There should always be someone. It's more an issue of getting a successful summon before the invasions happen.

edit: On second thought, maybe not. I just realized the pvp clans give better benefits than the coop groups. eg. Darkmoon blade spells grows stronger with each rank, darkwraiths get that humanity for the defense boost and chaos weapons. The way of white provides nothing, princess guard doesn't either, and the sunbro spears are pretty pointless in pvp as well.

Zakkath

I still see some summon signs in Kiln of the first flame at level 290.
What's your level? I have a lv50 character, so if you are in that range, I can help you.

SL99.

Edit : Now thats even better. First summon sign in hours... Summoning failed. Summoning failed...

Edit : FINALLY GOT HIM ! After 20 summoning attempts, someone finally accepted the summon and we 1-shotted the boss.

malfcn

So how does the PVP system work with souls? I can invade people in the forest with no risk, and only reward. Someone dropped 140,000 souls. Did they lose those? What do they get if I get killed?

Zakkath

Yes you can. Especially since a leap of faith is required.

One way or an another you end up down bellow where you hear the hammer. But yeah, I guess someone who's rushing forward without looking around or paying any attention to anything could miss him.

CatPee

One way or an another you end up down bellow where you hear the hammer. But yeah, I guess someone who's rushing forward without looking around or paying any attention to anything could miss him.

Umm, there's kind of a stone wall blocking the obvious way in that area.

krakov

forest, gravelord and how else?

curious, never really looked up the intricacies of invasions lol

I'm not really sure on the details myself. I know as a gravelord you can have three invaders at once. I think that you can be invaded by darkmoon and darkwraith players at the same time anywhere, but not sure. In the forest you will often have two invaders at once and the same goes for dark Anor Londo.

one85x

So how does the PVP system work with souls? I can invade people in the forest with no risk, and only reward. Someone dropped 140,000 souls. Did they lose those? What do they get if I get killed?
No one actually loses souls. The amount you receive is based on the amount of souls that it would take the player to level up once. I believe as the invader you only 10% of those souls, but as the host you get 50%.

You can find out what SL they were by using the first calculator here: https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
O&S downed, this time using Sunbro only in offline mode. (summoned help on my other chars).

I still think the difficulty of this fight is out of whack, the initial bum-rush is annoying as hell playing solo and super Smough is always a giant pain in the ass. If you enter solo it really ought to stagger the attacks (like Gargoyles/Maneater) so the start isn't such a crapshoot.

Thankfully super ornstein is still prone to "sticking" on his lightning attacks allowing me time to poison arrow his bitch ass and backpedal furiously for 40% of his hp.

Sullichin

No one actually loses souls. The amount you receive is based on the amount of souls that it would take the player to level up once. I believe as the invader you only 10% of those souls, but as the host you get 50%.

You can find out what SL they were by using the first calculator here: https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

I keep getting 41,874 souls from killing this one blue phantom who keeps invading my dark anor londo. That means he's SL227? Don't know why he's using a lightning spear + eagle shield like it's his first time through sen's fortress. Not exactly the best setup for PVP. Oh he had TWoP too. I'll let you cast DMB/CMW at the beginning of a fight.. but if I see you going for twop, fuck you. If you can pull it off during a fight good for you, if you cast it after we bow to each other, i'm rushing you.
EDIT: eh, i guess he was actually SL115 since he was the invader, read that calculator wrong. Still, weird setup to have at that level

The etiquette of PVP players varies wildly. I thought I'd try out being a white phantom in Kiln of the First flame, to fight the boss and some invaders along the way. When I saw that the host positioned himself behind and out of sight for invaders, and casted HCSM, I just left. It's not fun to invade and get 1 shot by HCSM immediately, and it's not fun to kill invaders before they have the chance to move. I don't get it. I've even had people immediately backstab me or white dragon breath me from behind when I invade using the red soap stone. So far Painted world seems to have the best 1-1 pvp battles with minimal cheapness. I'm enjoying fighting blue phantoms in dark londo as well.

Oh another thing.. I wish the forest was like Dark Anor Londo. I can't get invaded if I already beat Sif, right? It's a shame because playing as a white phantom is fun but I don't like when I get summoned by people who use really lame tactics which happens kind of often.

Think i'm done leveling this character at SL118. Took my END up so I can use the weapons/armor I like and still have DWGR. Didn't really need to bring my str up past 40, but I had some extra SLs. I guess I can still level up twice more and be an even 120. Idk. Is it viable to be 120 and still get action invading as a darkwraith?

Giant Helm +5
Paladin Armor +5
Catarina Gauntlets +5 (or Paladin gauntlets+5, or, if I want to use a shield, I use something lighter here).
Giant Leggings +5
RoFaP
DWGR

Black Knight Greataxe +5.

SL118
VIT 50
ATT 12 (don't really use it, but I have great chaos fireball or combustion equipped. stupidly missed great combustion this playthrough)
END 48
STR 43
DEX 18
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

Booksha - thanks for your help with this build, you convinced me to go no shield and I'm doing better overall in pvp with this setup.

sleepykyo

That can't be right. I got 800k off of someone in the Kiln when I was the invader. Are you it isn't based upon a percentage of how many souls they currently have?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I beat it today, Solaire and myself ganked Gwyn first try. Solaire had a sliver of health left. It wasn't super hard but you have to be on your toes.There are a couple of things I didn't do that I wanted to like killing Gwyndolyn so I could make a Darkmoon bow. All in all it was easily my game of 2011.

Booshka

Think i'm done leveling this character at SL118. Took my END up so I can use the weapons/armor I like and still have DWGR. Didn't really need to bring my str up past 40, but I had some extra SLs. I guess I can still level up twice more and be an even 120. Idk. Is it viable to be 120 and still get action invading as a darkwraith?

Giant Helm +5
Paladin Armor +5
Catarina Gauntlets +5 (or Paladin gauntlets+5, or, if I want to use a shield, I use something lighter here).
Giant Leggings +5
RoFaP
DWGR

Black Knight Greataxe +5.

SL118
VIT 50
ATT 12 (don't really use it, but I have great chaos fireball or combustion equipped. stupidly missed great combustion this playthrough)
END 48
STR 43
DEX 18
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

Booshka - thanks for your help with this build, you convinced me to go no shield and I'm doing better overall in pvp with this setup.

Looks good, 120 is the standard level for PvP builds and you will get plenty of invasions at that level, but if you want to stay at 118 you may have more activity invading all those level 120 players. If you were to go to 120, I would suggest either 2 points into attunement for another spell slot or 2 into Dexterity so you can use Dragonslayer Greatbow and some Dex weapons like Iaito and Ptng Guardian Sword. For you though I think another spell slot would be best.

maomaoIYP

How could that possibly be right? I've invaded a dude at anor londo, that had poor gear and didn't seem to know what he was doing. He dropped over a million souls. That would make him over SL 700. I beat him twice back to back. I was SL 85.

Oh he had TWoP too. I'll let you cast DMB/CMW at the beginning of a fight.. but if I see you going for twop, fuck you. If you can pull it off during a fight good for you, if you cast it after we bow to each other, i'm rushing you.

The griefing in Dark Forest seems by far the worst. Camping the spawn with two people, TWoP + WoG/Dragon's Breath. I fought someone in the Kiln last night who tried casting TWoP mid fight, I backstabbed him to claim the win.

I wish darkmoon invasions were not limited to sinners who haven't beaten the boss yet. It's hard to find any, save for the forest, and that is by far the shittiest PvP area.

Booshka

How could that possibly be right? I've invaded a dude at anor londo, that had poor gear and didn't seem to know what he was doing. He dropped over a million souls. That would make him over SL 700. I beat him twice back to back. I was SL 85.

The griefing in Dark Forest seems by far the worst. Camping the spawn with two people, TWoP + WoG/Dragon's Breath. I fought someone in the Kiln last night who tried casting TWoP mid fight, I backstabbed him to claim the win.

I wish darkmoon invasions were not limited to sinners who haven't beaten the boss yet. It's hard to find any, save for the forest, and that is by far the shittiest PvP area.

Maybe you invaded a Dragon Head Glitch player, I know they patched it out, but he could still be playing on a character that did it pre-patch. A lot of those players are clueless about the game and don't upgrade any items or use better gear. I've seen plenty of players using Gold Hemmed, Eagle Shield and a Lightning spear and at extremely high levels.

I kind of wish Darkmoon members were able to invade Hollow form players along with Human form; to make it more fair, From would have to get rid of the Abandon Covenant leads to sin mechanic, and just make it based on attacking friendly NPC's and Invading other players. A lot more players would have no sin this way, and Darkmoon would get more invasions. I'm not sure what the problem is with Darkmoon and why Invasions fail all the time, I think Darkwraith invasions take precedent over them or something.

maomaoIYP

Maybe you invaded a Dragon Head Glitch player, I know they patched it out, but he could still be playing on a character that did it pre-patch. A lot of those players are clueless about the game and don't upgrade any items or use better gear. I've seen plenty of players using Gold Hemmed, Eagle Shield and a Lightning spear and at extremely high levels.

I kind of wish Darkmoon members were able to invade Hollow form players along with Human form, to make it more fair, From would have to get rid of the Abandon Covenant leads to sin mechanic, and just make it based on attacking friendly NPC's and Invading other players. A lot less players would have less sin this way, and Darkmoon would get more invasions. I'm not sure what the problem is with Darkmoon and why Invasions fail all the time, I think Darkwraith invasions take precedent over them or something.

Yeah that's almost exactly what I saw that guy wearing, Eagle Shield, lightning spear, gold hemmed.

I think Darkmoon always fails because there's bound to be way less people who have sinned, are in human form and have not beaten the boss yet, compared to those with the same conditions but have no sins.

Booshka

Yeah that's almost exactly what I saw that guy wearing, Eagle Shield, lightning spear, gold hemmed.

I think Darkmoon always fails because there's bound to be way less people who have sinned, are in human form and have not beaten the boss yet, compared to those with the same conditions but have no sins.

Good point, they should just make it so you can be invaded by Darkmoon even if you have beaten the boss.

Also, if you guys are hating the usual PvP areas for all the ganking and annoying Pinwheel mask+Giant's Armor builds, try the Undead Burg. A lot of pretty good PvP in that area, even for high level characters, you should see some red signs or get invaded, and have good fights. Or, put down your red sign and duel some people, usually the fights are more varied and fair, with more honorable players.

I started this game a few days ago, and I have never played Demon's Souls. I don't think the game is as supremely difficult as I keep hearing over and over, but it is certainly challenging. It is sometimes a little cheap, but for the most part, it's not impossibly difficult.

With that said, the game is great. I am impressed by how open and huge the world is, and I also like how everything seems to be eventually connected together (shortcuts). The boss fights are excellent, and I am just really impressed by the level design. Were the level design and boss fights this good in Demon's Souls? I like the music, but there is barely any that plays, and I know a lot of people prefer that, but I don't. I can't help but feel some areas would be better with some ambient music--not all, but some.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I guess I'll spoiler this, but I'm sure that everyone is ahead of me.
I just beat Chaos Witch Quelaag, and I went down to join that clan/group/cult/whateverthehellit'scalled. After that is the Demon Ruins--or a part of it. I went to go get this armor, and this huge boss dude (forgot his name) destroyed me in a heartbeat. I have two questions here. 1) I've heard there is a trick to kill him...where he falls off the ledge. Does anyone have any insight on this? 2) After I either beat him or don't beat him, where should I go next from this point?

Thanks!

Booshka

I started this game a few days ago, and I have never played Demon's Souls. I don't think the game is as supremely difficult as I keep hearing over and over, but it is certainly challenging. It is sometimes a little cheap, but for the most part, it's not impossibly difficult.

With that said, the game is great. I am impressed by how open and huge the world is, and I also like how everything seems to be eventually connected together (shortcuts). The boss fights are excellent, and I am just really impressed by the level design. Were the level design and boss fights this good in Demon's Souls? I like the music, but there is barely any that plays, and I know a lot of people prefer that, but I don't. I can't help but feel some areas would be better with some ambient music--not all, but some.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I guess I'll spoiler this, but I'm sure that everyone is ahead of me.
I just beat Chaos Witch Quelaag, and I went down to join that clan/group/cult/whateverthehellit'scalled. After that is the Demon Ruins--or a part of it. I went to go get this armor, and this huge boss dude (forgot his name) destroyed me in a heartbeat. I have two questions here. 1) I've heard there is a trick to kill him...where he falls off the ledge. Does anyone have any insight on this? 2) After I either beat him or don't beat him, where should I go next from this point?

Thanks!
The way to get him to fall off the ledge is to run back to the fog gate and wait for him to jump at you. Then you wack at his arm until he falls off. I'm not sure how this works if you have already died to him, but that is the usual cheese strategy.
If you rung both bells then you opened up the next area, Sen's Fortress, go there.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Thanks!

It's easier to youtube it, but the trick involves leading him all the way back to the entrance. If you died once, it won't work if you just enter the fog and wait there since he will range attack you. Run back to the armour area then run all the way back to the fog and wait. He should do a plunging arm attack and there you go.

Also if you've beaten Anor Londo already then you can continue on to the path that will open, otherwise it won't be an option.

Thanks!

There's really no point in completing the demon ruins at this point since there isn't much to get over there other than the large flame ember and the gold hemmed set which you already got.

But anyway, after killing the boss (who is super easy, you don't even have to glitch him), there are two more bosses in the level who are a bit more challenging. But the next area will be blocked off until you obtain a certain item from a certain large chested lady.

.GqueB.

Banned

Ooooohohoohohohohh. I was wondering how that was determined. The most I ever got by forrest invading was around 700k.

Thanks!

demons souls is definitely less open world feeling, and you can't do the equivalent of running from demon's ruins to the top of sens fortress because the game is broken up into different worlds that you have to return to a hub world to switch among. within the different worlds the level design was excellent in the sense that you did eventually open shortcuts that made it easier to move through. i havent finished the game yet, but none of the areas in dark souls match my favorite areas from demons. i think the bosses were at least as good in demons as they are in dark, but it could be that they were newer then and therefore have less of an impact on me now.

edit: dont go through demons ruins now. i think the right way to do it is to sens fortress which is the area you saw opening up when you rang the second bell. its over by where the first blacksmith is, where you fought the gargoyles.

Just be patient. Really, really patient. I don't bother trying to get hits in at the start of the fight, you should be arranging them in the field first. Work to a position where both are visible, don't go for 3 hits, just take one and retreat. Smough's attacks are generally easier to avoid/block so keep your eye on Ornstein, he's got some pretty good tells when he's about to pounce, wait till he's recovering before you whack Smough. If you have pyromancy that's a good option but be aware Smough's hammer acts like a shield and blocks any fireballs etc. that hit it. IDK if it blocks magic also. The most annoying thing imo is Ornstein spearing you through Smough, so if you can't see what O is doing then back off and wait for another chance.

i just ran them solo in NG+ at SL25 and oh man it was pretty intense. I'd never solo'd them before and it was probably a stupid time to try to but hey, it can be done. Took me many many tries though. In the end it really was just patience and restraint that won it.

i beat them (and every other boss ive faced so far) solo. it took me a few tries, but i dont think its the hardest time ive had with a boss fight. i didnt do it at level 25, though. i basically took out ornstein mostly with pyromancy, then electric smough with patience and my halberd.

elohel

post patch is there only one chest that drops symbol of avarice or whatever? Or only one with 100% drop rate?

what's the rate on the others?

maomaoIYP

post patch is there only one chest that drops symbol of avarice or whatever? Or only one with 100% drop rate?

what's the rate on the others?

There's one mimic which will always drop the symbol, it's the one in the archives treasure chest room. The others will simply have a chance. Same for skull lantern and sack.
Someone earlier in the OT mentioned that he went through 3 full stacks of lloyd's talismans to get one pre patch.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There's one mimic which will always drop the symbol, it's the one in the archives treasure chest room. The others will simply have a chance. Same for skull lantern and sack.

Huh? I don't think any are guaranteed drops. Haven't made an int build in a while so I probably haven't opened those chest post-patch, but still can't find anywhere online saying that it's a guaranteed drop either.

maomaoIYP

Huh? I don't think any are guaranteed drops. Haven't made an int build in a while so I probably haven't opened those chest post-patch, but still can't find anywhere online saying that it's a guaranteed drop either.

It was added post 1.04 patch. The executioner which drops the sack is the one that jumps down from the rafters. Can't remember which lantern dude drops the lantern though.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up defeating him the cheesy way, dignity vanished, and was about to take everyone's suggestions and head to
Sen's Fortress
when I randomly discovered
The Great Hollow
. I am now in
Ash Lake, right by a giant hydra and moments away from a big Dragon who wants me to join him.

Which leads me to another two questions. Swear to God I won't repetitively keep doing this, but you're all so helpful and I am so Souls-newb-y, that, well, here I am. First, is it worth defeating the
hydra
? Second, and more importantly, what is the big deal with joining these covenants? I was under the Way of White covenant, and then the Chaos Servant covenant, and now I'd like to join the Dragon Covenant. Is this a good or bad idea? Do I need to keep something in mind as I liberally join them?

Once again, thank you.

maomaoIYP

Sorry, I meant specifically with the Symbol.

Yup that too, it was also added post patch. Get yours....today!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up defeating him the cheesy way, dignity vanished, and was about to take everyone's suggestions and head to
Sen's Fortress
when I randomly discovered
The Great Hollow
. I am now in
Ash Lake, right by a giant hydra and moments away from a big Dragon who wants me to join him.

Which leads me to another two questions. Swear to God I won't repetitively keep doing this, but you're all so helpful and I am so Souls-newb-y, that, well, here I am. First, is it worth defeating the
hydra
? Second, and more importantly, what is the big deal with joining these covenants? I was under the Way of White covenant, and then the Chaos Servant covenant, and now I'd like to join the Dragon Covenant. Is this a good or bad idea? Do I need to keep something in mind as I liberally join them?

Once again, thank you.

Covenants are mostly for multiplayer purposes. Defeat the hydra if you've got a shield that can block their attacks, it's an easy fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom