• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Second, and more importantly, what is the big deal with joining these covenants? I was under the Way of White covenant, and then the Chaos Servant covenant, and now I'd like to join the Dragon Covenant. Is this a good or bad idea? Do I need to keep something in mind as I liberally join them?
Dragon Covenant gives you some interesting/tantalising stuff to begin with, but you need to put in the effort (duel with other players via the Dragon Eye sign) in order to collect Dragon Scales and make your dragon lord happy; thus unlocking better stuff.

You can look it all up if you like, but I say just explore and try out what you think sounds nifty!

malfcn

I would love to farm millions of souls off shitty players. Could level up so fast. But whenever I invaded all I got was players with a buddy and killed me immediately.

elohel

Huh? I don't think any are guaranteed drops. Haven't made an int build in a while so I probably haven't opened those chest post-patch, but still can't find anywhere online saying that it's a guaranteed drop either.

I think they mean if you use the talisman trick

Booshka

I would love to farm millions of souls off shitty players. Could level up so fast. But whenever I invaded all I got was players with a buddy and killed me immediately.

Try places like Catacombs, Demon Ruins, places where people are trying to progress through the story, usually have better luck there.

maomaoIYP

I think they mean if you use the talisman trick

No talisman needed. Seriously, will you dudes just fire up a game, go to the archives and get your free symbol of avarice?

I did most of my initial invading at the Darkmoon bonfire, there's plenty of places for hosts to make mistakes there. Or you could invade the forest and wait for other invaders before trying to take on the host. However by the time I was doing serious invading my build was already semi-optimal, so I wasn't really spending the souls I was earning anyway.

Booshka

All orb invasions are random, it's just that certain areas in the game are designated for PvP, and others are usually just areas you get through to progress through the story. If you invade in the latter areas, you usually get easier fights, and sometimes high level players that are actually terrible at the game. Demon Ruins is especially good because there are Capra and Taurus Demons everywhere to make it easier on invaders.

elohel

No talisman needed. Seriously, will you dudes just fire up a game, go to the archives and get your free symbol of avarice?

I did most of my initial invading at the Darkmoon bonfire, there's plenty of places for hosts to make mistakes there. Or you could invade the forest and wait for other invaders before trying to take on the host. However by the time I was doing serious invading my build was already semi-optimal, so I wasn't really spending the souls I was earning anyway.

lol i would but im at the end of my game its for ng++ cheeeel

Booshka

Or forcing dudes in Anor Londo to walk the rafters.

I had a vagrant spawned on those rafters and on the walkway leading to the archers. Some great places for those. I dropped some items down in-between the swinging axes in Sen's Fortress, I can only hope that someone got trolled as hard as I did with vagrants in very annoying places.

malfcn

The PVP is fun except for the shitty connections. I will be behind them hacking away with no stab. Yet they will run at me backwards and stab me. Oh wells, just got another +700k souls.

KTallguy

Banned
Just beat the game. Overall it was totally awesome, just the final boss was a bit underwhelming (no introduction, nothing), and the ending was garbage compared to Demon's Souls. What a let down after such an amazing experience. I'm practically depressed.

It was nice owning one of the invaders that attacked me on the way to the final boss though.

Sullichin

Sen's fortress is my favorite place to invade.

Just lost 1.6million souls because I wasn't paying attention running back to my bloodstain in dark anor londo. lol. It's annoying how you always spawn at the first AL bonfire which is out, even if you last rested at one of the inside ones :|

On that note, I've been doing well in dark londo, won a bunch of 2v1 fights against two phantoms.

Booshka

Sen's fortress is my favorite place to invade.

Just lost 1.6million souls because I wasn't paying attention running back to my bloodstain in dark anor londo. lol. It's annoying how you always spawn at the first AL bonfire which is out, even if you last rested at one of the inside ones :|

On that note, I've been doing well in dark londo, won a bunch of 2v1 fights against two phantoms.

Whenever I spawn at that bonfire and the bridge isn't down for me to easily run across I just run back up the path and have that Demon take me back to Sen's Fortress, then I warp to Darkmoon tomb or Chamber of the Princess, fuck trying to go through the rafters to chase a bloodstain.

malfcn

Got this guy down to no health. And then the game wouldn't let me hit him. I would backstab him, wait for hit to get up and no damage. Then all his life came back after some glow. Same thing again, backstab and then couldn't hit him anymore. What build is that.

sleepykyo

Or you could invade the forest and wait for other invaders before trying to take on the host.

On that note, I would like to thank whoever mentioned hiding behind the blacksmith on dark londo. Went 5/2 on dark anor londo instead of my usual 1/2 or worse in the Kiln/forest. Of special note:

Saw a double team running as I was spawning in, made a beeline for the blacksmith. 3 sunlight spears (, 30 poison arrows, a missed plunging attack and numerous taunts) later another darkmoon arrives. I take out the axe sun bro while the host is busy with the new arrival and then we get to double team him.

After returning from Ash Lake and come back to Blighttown and I'm all done...do I really have to go the long way back up to reach ground level? Seriously? Really? There's a quicker way to return...right? :(

krakov

After returning from Ash Lake and come back to Blighttown and I'm all done...do I really have to go the long way back up to reach ground level? Seriously? Really? There's a quicker way to return...right? :(

There is a way up by the water wheel that takes about 1 minute. Not sure if you refer to that or the depths way.

Frank

Also, if you guys are hating the usual PvP areas for all the ganking and annoying Pinwheel mask+Giant's Armor builds, try the Undead Burg. A lot of pretty good PvP in that area, even for high level characters, you should see some red signs or get invaded, and have good fights. Or, put down your red sign and duel some people, usually the fights are more varied and fair, with more honorable players.

The Burg's a nice place for red stone duels these days. Mostly well behaved BB glitchers, sprinkled with the occasional NG+/++ guy passing through or newbie trying one of the Cracked Red Stones you get in Firelink.

The trippiest so far was actually a whitesign summon -- I got called into the game of a SL15 dude going through NG+, who wanted a bit of company while doing Havel & Taurus (the guy was a beast anyway judging by how he was fighting, I can't imagine he really needed... help).

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Whenever I spawn at that bonfire and the bridge isn't down for me to easily run across I just run back up the path and have that Demon take me back to Sen's Fortress, then I warp to Darkmoon tomb or Chamber of the Princess, fuck trying to go through the rafters to chase a bloodstain.

Even quicker would be to go to the first bonfire in Duke's Archives.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
truly101 said:
Going out the Valley of Drakes Way is a lot easier than trying to go up through the depths.

Is it actually possible to go back out through the depths once you pass the first bonfire on the way down to Blighttown? I vividly remember spending ages looking around for a path and eventually giving up.

Either way, up the waterwheel and out via Drake Valley/New Londo Ruins is far easier and quicker. You'll need to deal with some dart-blowers, but you can simply run past the fatties at the top.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is it actually possible to go back out through the depths once you pass the first bonfire on the way down to Blighttown? I vividly remember spending ages looking around for a path and eventually giving up.

Yep, back the same way you came, but like you said, not really worth it.

Also you don't really need to deal with the dart blowers unless you go for the firekeeper soul.

Sullichin

Lol the bridge was actually down. I died running in what should have been a straight line because I wasn't even staring at the screen. I wasn't even thinking that 1.6 million souls and a bunch of humanity were on the line (not that it matters)

Soulhouf

This is my SL50 character:

116_3.JPG

VIT 19
ATT 12
END 40
STR 16
DEX 16
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

I dropped many times my SS just before 4 Kings but no one summoned me. I'm I under leveled for that area ?

This character is not specialized in any domain. I rose her STR & DEX to 16 so that she can use basic weapons and 2H some powerful ones (Washing Pole, Zweihander, Man Serpent and I'm planning to try Great Lord Greatsword when I get it).
I made this character mainly to help people. But since above Anor Londo I can no longer be summoned I will consider to level her up a little more.
If I go level 60, what stat do I increase?

Sullichin

This is my SL50 character:

116_3.JPG

VIT 19
ATT 12
END 40
STR 16
DEX 16
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

I dropped many times my SS just before 4 Kings but no one summoned me. I'm I under leveled for that area ?

This character is not specialized in any domain. I rose her STR & DEX to 16 so that she can use basic weapons and 2H some powerful ones (Washing Pole, Zweihander, Man Serpent and I'm planning to try Great Lord Greatsword when I get it).
I made this character mainly to help people. But since above Anor Londo I can no longer be summoned I will consider to level her up a little more.
If I go level 60, what stat do I increase?

I'd try leaving your sign on the first or second bridge in new londo if you want to try for 4K. I've definitely seen more signs there than just before the fog door. You may get more bites at a higher SL but I wouldn't level up too much, because 50 is probably a good level for O&S and going through Sen's (and probably gaping dragon too). I'd keep leveling VIT if you want to level up since it looks like you're using lightning weapons.

EDIT: Also, you should get something better than fireball. I'd upgrade your pyro glove if you haven't and get great chaos fireball and/or great combustion

maomaoIYP

I just realized what would make 3v1 or 2v1 fights obsolete and more fair.

Friendly fire.

TWoP + WoG fuckers would end up hurting each other more.
No more stun trapping with 3 dudes standing in your face swinging ultra greatswords.

Dresden

The symbol of avarice isn't a guaranteed drop. >.> Sucks. Killed every mimic in the game and the ones in Duke's didn't drop one for me.

Went through Duke's, and Tomb and they really cut down on the aggro range of the enemies. It's very noticeable in Tomb because the skeletal dogs stopped or didn't even bother chasing me as I ran by. Played around parrying Gwyn for a while before homewarding out so I could farm chunks.

sleepykyo

Friendly fire.

No more stun trapping with 3 dudes standing in your face swinging ultra greatswords.

I've come to like TWoP since it is the only counter to the flip ring. That out of the way, I'd gladly see it removed if it the flip ring goes with it. Ditto for removing the stunlock and lowering damage on backstabs.

Sullichin

The symbol of avarice isn't a guaranteed drop. >.> Sucks. Killed every mimic in the game and the ones in Duke's didn't drop one for me.

Went through Duke's, and Tomb and they really cut down on the aggro range of the enemies. It's very noticeable in Tomb because the skeletal dogs stopped or didn't even bother chasing me as I ran by. Played around parrying Gwyn for a while before homewarding out so I could farm chunks.

The reduced aggro + getting a skull lantern before you ever step foot in ToTG definitely makes it considerably easier than it was before. Not sure if that's a good change. It was a very frustrating part of my first playthrough, but getting far enough in the dark to get to the bonfire and skull lantern felt like a great accomplishment.

Dresden

The reduced aggro + getting a skull lantern before you ever step foot in ToTG definitely makes it considerably easier than it was before. Not sure if that's a good change. It was a very frustrating part of my first playthrough, but getting far enough in the dark to get to the bonfire and skull lantern felt like a great accomplishment.

And I think a skull lantern is guaranteed to drop now off one of the necromancers in Catacombs . . . so there's no shock of going in for the first time, unprepared, and wallowing in the darkness. I'm not too fond of this change.

On the other hand, Lost Izalith's dinolavapit not being a total hellhole is a nice change.

Friendly fire.

With friendly fire the number of opportune backstabs on white phantoms or vice versa will likely increase . . . tbh I wouldn't mind this change.

Soulhouf

I'd try leaving your sign on the first or second bridge in new londo if you want to try for 4K. I've definitely seen more signs there than just before the fog door. You may get more bites at a higher SL but I wouldn't level up too much, because 50 is probably a good level for O&S and going through Sen's (and probably gaping dragon too). I'd keep leveling VIT if you want to level up since it looks like you're using lightning weapons.

EDIT: Also, you should get something better than fireball. I'd upgrade your pyro glove if you haven't and get great chaos fireball and/or great combustion

Thanks!

What do you mean by 1st or 2nd bridge? Is it in the ghost area or the drained area?

I don't really use fireball except for Tomb of the Giants. But you have a point, I should try the other fire spells, especially those you mention.

elohel

did you use the talisman trick? that seems to be key

Sullichin

Thanks!

What do you mean by 1st or 2nd bridge? Is it in the ghost area or the drained area?

I don't really use fireball except for Tomb of the Giants. But you have a point, I should try the other fire spells, especially those you mention.

I'm referring to the two bridges right before the first ghosts. if New Londo is drained in the world you get summoned to, there's a really quick route right to 4 Kings (you can just run past everything). if it's not drained you can help them do the whole level, but that's never been the case when I was summoned. I found doing co-op for 4K is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it'll take a long time to get summoned, and some hosts want to wait for two phantoms. I've had more experiences where the host dies really quickly than when helping other bosses.

Copy-paste from here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460771 where the OPtalksabout a Dark Souls DLC:

WAIT ??? What dark souls dlc ? The cut parts ? I tough Myazaki said they were removed because they were unfair, not challenging. Moreover, I tough Myazaki said they won't be any DLC for Dark Souls, and, like DeS, it was supposed to be a game complete by itself...

Would still ve DLC, cause, you know… I NEED MY FIX

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Copy-paste from here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460771 where the OPtalksabout a Dark Souls DLC:

WAIT ??? What dark souls dlc ? The cut parts ? I tough Myazaki said they were removed because they were unfair, not challenging. Moreover, I tough Myazaki said they won't be any DLC for Dark Souls, and, like DeS, it was supposed to be a game complete by itself...

Would still ve DLC, cause, you know… I NEED MY FIX

I don't think he ever ruled out DLC completely, just they had no plans. Adding more content to a successful game isn't a bad thing for both parties.

I'd prefer it to be new DLC versus the cut stuff. Don't really care about black eye orb invading Shiva.

Dresden

It'd be cool if they fleshed out some of the areas in the game. Like the door by the daughter of chaos, the blocked ramp in burg, the door by the sunlight altar, etc. It'd get people playing through the game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom