• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

I'm referring to the two bridges right before the first ghosts. if New Londo is drained in the world you get summoned to, there's a really quick route right to 4 Kings (you can just run past everything). if it's not drained you can help them do the whole level, but that's never been the case when I was summoned. I found doing co-op for 4K is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it'll take a long time to get summoned, and some hosts want to wait for two phantoms. I've had more experiences where the host dies really quickly than when helping other bosses.

I didn't new that. I always go to 4K from Valley of Drakes because those ghosts always scare the shit out of me.
Besides I like farming dagon scales and titanite chunks/slabs there so I never go from the ghost area.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Sullichin

It'd be cool if they fleshed out some of the areas in the game. Like the door by the daughter of chaos, the blocked ramp in burg, the door by the sunlight altar, etc. It'd get people playing through the game again.

I'd really love an addition to undead burg/parish with the enemy difficulty level of Duke's Archives. Something like the perfection of Demon's Souls 1-3 would do nicely. Throw in an optional boss so you can keep it open for pvp invasions like painted world. I don't know how they should go about adding new items though. Doesn't seem like they'd give you a cool new sword because you spent $10 on some DLC, plus there's also so many items in the game as is. I really really hope this DLC happens!

I didn't new that. I always go to 4K from Valley of Drakes because those ghosts always scare the shit out of me.
Besides I like farming dagon scales and titanite chunks/slabs there so I never go from the ghost area.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

yep, it's definitely faster to go through firelink to new londo to 4K. All the enemies are easy to avoid/run past except watch for a darkwraith trying to stab you through the fog door. if you were there mainly to farm chunks/slabs it's probably best to go from drakes though, yeah.

I finally beat Smough and Ornstein after an extremely intense battle.. It came down to Me and Ornstein staring each-other down with one hit left in each of us, we both swung and my hit connected first... I can't believe I pulled that off.

Now I moved onto the Darkroot Garden and killed both bosses in about 10 minutes... Is it a pitty zone? Or was I supposed to come here earlier?

Also, what level should I be around this point? I am currently 58 and feel like I'm higher than I should be at this point.

Sullichin

I finally beat Smough and Ornstein after an extremely intense battle.. It came down to Me and Ornstein staring each-other down with one hit left in each of us, we both swung and my hit connected first... I can't believe I pulled that off.

Now I moved onto the Darkroot Garden and killed both bosses in about 10 minutes... Is it a pitty zone? Or was I supposed to come here earlier?

Also, what level should I be around this point? I am currently 58 and feel like I'm higher than I should be at this point.

well, you could have done the forest right after/during undead burg, so yeah it definitely isn't as difficult as Anor Londo. I thought it was really easy the first time too because I tackled that area late. 58 is probably around the average SL for Anor Londo, you're good, you just feel overpowered because the forest is pretty easy. Go to Duke's Archives and you probably won't feel so overpowered. Unless you wanted to be a darkwraith, in that case beat the forest and then new londo.

well, you could have done the forest right after/during undead burg, so yeah it definitely isn't as difficult as Anor Londo. I thought it was really easy the first time too because I tackled that area late. 58 is probably around the average SL for Anor Londo, you're good, you just feel overpowered because the forest is pretty easy. Go to Duke's Archives and you probably won't feel so overpowered. Unless you wanted to be a darkwraith, in that case beat the forest and then new londo.

What else is there to do in the forest after killing
the wolf
?

Also, how many Fire Keeper Souls am I supposed to have found by now? I've found 3 so far, I used the first one I found by accident because the tool tip wasn't completely clear, my second went straight to my Estus Flask, and the third went to
reviving Anastacia
. The wiki states that I need to kill the others to get more souls so I can have a better flask. Are there anymore that I can get without doing that?

sleepykyo

the wolf
?

Also, how many Fire Keeper Souls am I supposed to have found by now? I've found 3 so far, I used the first one I found by accident because the tool tip wasn't completely clear, my second went straight to my Estus Flask, and the third went to
reviving Anastacia
. The wiki states that I need to kill the others to get more souls so I can have a better flask. Are there anymore that I can get without doing that?

Without sacing Fire Keepers? 4.

1 in the church, 1 in blighttown near the waterwheel, 1 in the new londo ruins and 1 in duke's archives.

Sullichin

the wolf
?

reviving Anastacia

There's one in Blighttown, one near the beginning of New Londo Ruins, one in Undead Parish (which is probably the one you accidentally used), and the firekeepers in Anor Londo and The Daughter of Chaos bonfires will drop fire keeper souls if you kill them, but then those bonfires won't work. The max is +7.

There's also a hydra in the forest you can kill, an NPC in that area that's useful if you use spells, some items worth getting like the grass crest shield and the elite knight armor, a covenant you can join, and the dark wood grain ring (if you've seen players online flipping around, that's what they're using).

Without sacing Fire Keepers? 4.

1 in the church, 1 in blighttown near the waterwheel, 1 in the new londo ruins and 1 in duke's archives.

Where's the one in duke's archives? I've probably picked it up before but it's not coming to mind.

Booshka

I just started clawing my controller when I am sprinting around looking for other players while I am invading. It is very effective, I don't feel comfortable playing like that full-time, but for those times when I am sprinting around, it makes looking around my environment much easier.

I am using my index finger to hold down the B button then my right thumb to look with the camera. Once I see the guy, I go to normal control and fight.

goldensun

So guys, I recently started, and I can't beat the Capra Demon. I'm a pyromancer, level 17. I'm using the hallowed warrior shield, battle axe and fireball currently, and my armor is the full set of chain (is that bad?).

I need advice on what I should do. Should I level a certain stat? Purchase something better? Is there a way I can level up my pyromancer's hand? Thanks for any advice.

Leezard

So guys, I recently started, and I can't beat the Capra Demon. I'm a pyromancer, level 17. I'm using the hallowed warrior shield, battle axe and fireball currently, and my armor is the full set of chain (is that bad?).

I need advice on what I should do. Should I level a certain stat? Purchase something better? Is there a way I can level up my pyromancer's hand? Thanks for any advice.

Dodge the first hit, then run up the stairs and try to kill the dogs quickly. After that, the fight should be easier.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
As said, get to the top of the stars and take out the dogs first. Drop down and lure him up the stairs again while getting some attacks on him. Rinse and repeat.

Pyromancies work quite well on him, but you can't upgrade the hand until after you've beaten him unfortunately. He is weak to lightning, so you could try some gold pine resin on your axe.

damn it... Is there a way to make an NPC forgive you for attacking him? I accidentally hit the
Giant Blacksmith
and I really don't want to purposefully kill NPCs on this character..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
goldensun said:

Make life easier on yourself, go and get the Drake sword. You'll need a bow and a bunch of arrows, but is risk free if you snipe at the tail from under the bridge. There are videos on Youtube showing how to do this.

Its not the best sword in the game, but its useful until you start making better weapons.

Also, make sure to buy the residence key from the undead merchant in Burg, it unlocks the door in parish behind which you'll find a sorcery trainer. Buy magic shield and use it before you enter, it'll allow you to block Capra's initial attack more safely, giving you more time to move around him and dash up the stairs.

Just ordered Demon's Souls. It's going to be interesting to see whether I breeze through the game as a hardened Dark Souls vet or if there's still a learning curve.

Anyone else play DkS before DS?

damn it... Is there a way to make an NPC forgive you for attacking him? I accidentally hit the Giant Blacksmith and I really don't want to purposefully kill NPCs on this character..

Go to the dude on top of the undead parish where you fought the gargoyles and absolve your sins.

Booshka

is this the thing that costs an astronomical amount of souls? If so, is he really worth it?

It's not nearly as astronomical as it used to be, and yes if you want access to that Blacksmith it is worth it. Just resist the temptation to level up and go absolve your sins, you'll get over it and make up the souls later.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hello chaps,

I'm trying to take my new pyromancer to the max as early as possible and have a couple of questions:

- What criteria needs to be met before Quelana appears in Blighttown? I think it's Pyro Hand +10, but I just want to be sure before heading down there.
- Aside from picking random spells up here and there, are these the only other ways to acquire spells: Laurentius, Quelana and Chaos Servant/Quelaag's sister?

Thanks very much!

Sullichin

is this the thing that costs an astronomical amount of souls? If so, is he really worth it?

To get the Anor Londo blacksmith back, definitely. Unless you don't want to make any boss or lightning weapons or buy the Giant's Armor. He also sells twinkling titanite now.

Hello chaps,

I'm trying to take my new pyromancer to the max as early as possible and have a couple of questions:

- What criteria needs to be met before Quelana appears in Blighttown? I think it's Pyro Hand +10, but I just want to be sure before heading down there.
- Aside from picking random spells up here and there, are these the only other ways to acquire spells: Laurentius, Quelana and Chaos Servant/Quelaag's sister?

Thanks very much!

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Quelana+of+Izalith
Yup, +10 flame will do it, linked to the wiki because it provides more info on the conditions and what she sells. She can only ascend your flame once it's at +15 though. There's two pyromancies that can only be obtained from the little egg guy in front of the chaos covenant bonfire.

Just ordered Demon's Souls. It's going to be interesting to see whether I breeze through the game as a hardened Dark Souls vet or if there's still a learning curve.

I didn't play DkS first, but I hit a wall really early on in Demons Souls and stopped playing after giving it plenty of tries. I went back after beating and playing the crap out of this, and tore through the game beating most of the bosses on my first try. Dark Souls is definitely the harder of the two games imo. There's a few different gameplay mechanics (like world tendency and how health is handled), but the combat is pretty much identical, so you'll be right at home. It's really good.

Leezard

To get the Anor Londo blacksmith back, definitely. Unless you don't want to make any boss or lightning weapons or buy the Giant's Armor. He also sells twinkling titanite now.

Yup, +10 flame will do it, linked to the wiki because it provides more info on the conditions and what she sells. She can only ascend your flame once it's at +15 though. There's two pyromancies that can only be obtained from the little egg guy in front of the chaos covenant bonfire.

I didn't play DkS first, but I hit a wall really early on in Demons Souls and stopped playing after giving it plenty of tries. I went back after beating and playing the crap out of this, and tore through the game beating most of the bosses on my first try. Dark Souls is definitely the harder of the two games imo. There's a few different gameplay mechanics (like world tendency and how health is handled), but the combat is pretty much identical, so you'll be right at home. It's really good.
One, actually. The Poison Cloud can be found in the Blighttown swamp, where you find Pyro starter clothes.

Dresden

Well, I played DS before DkS but I did go back and replay DS recently. It's hard going back; the bonfire system, the overhaul of the magic system, the improved animations, and the better sense of weight and speed is hard to give up compared to the floatier controls of Demon's along with the need to rely on grasses for healing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
One, actually. The Poison Cloud can be found in the Blighttown swamp, where you find Pyro starter clothes.
Thank you, fellas. I'd forgotten about ascending the flame - looking forward to that :) Doesn't matter if I have it at +15 before I get to her, I suppose?
Otherwise, all I need is to get 'egged' and then buy Toxic Cloud from Eingyi. Perfeck!

Thanks. I do have a feeling I won't enjoy the combat in DS as much. But I really like the aesthetic. I don't think it's better than DkS, just different. From what I've seen the theme seems to be of a haunted kingdom and the music does a good reflecting that. DkS is more picturesque with places like darkroot garden and anor londo, a real dark fantasy setting like you see or imagine in some older storybooks.

Anyway, going back to this game, I just realized you don't have to play right handed. With how meticulous the combat is here, does anyone know if there is an advantage to playing lefty versus right handed players?

Dresden

Thanks. I do have a feeling I won't enjoy the combat in DS as much. But I really like the aesthetic. I don't think it's better than DkS, just different. From what I've seen the theme seems to be of a haunted kingdom and the music does a good reflecting that. DkS is more picturesque with places like darkroot garden and anor londo, a real dark fantasy setting like you see or imagine in some older storybooks.

Yeah. I don't think anything in DkS compares to, say, 3-2. Overall though I prefer DkS now.

this fight is basically decided right at first. if you make it up the stairs and to the right across the arch and kill the dogs you should be fine, since you can do a combination of drop attacks and fireballs from the relative safety of that corner. i dont know much about the battleaxe, but i have been using the halberd for most of the game, and it kills those dogs pretty easily.

goldensun

Thanks for the help guys, what happened was I got up the stairs with an electrically charged axe, and ended up not needing it because the boss kept walking away and not chasing me... :lol

I four shotted him with heavy soul arrows haha.

LJ11

Have a question about the first merchant you meet in Undead Burg.

Not sure if it's a spoiler so I'll mark just in case.
Does the merchant give you a special sword if you purchase 100 arrows and a bow from him? Came across this bit of info but I'm not sure if I believe it and don't want to waste the souls just yet.

Booshka

Have a question about the first merchant you meet in Undead Burg.

Not sure if it's a spoiler so I'll mark just in case.
Does the merchant give you a special sword if you purchase 100 arrows and a bow from him? Came across this bit of info but I'm not sure if I believe it and don't want to waste the souls just yet.

Haha yes, he is guilty by association.
If you have a bow and about a 100 arrows you can shoot off the tail of a dragon that gives you a very good weapon for the beginning of the game.

malfcn

Since I can level up to 125 now (from 88, thanks Forest). What armor and weapons and armor should I go for? Mostly a slasher. Should I go for any casting stuff for defense? I just go for a balance?

Since I can level up to 125 now (from 88, thanks Forest). What armor and weapons and armor should I go for? Mostly a slasher. Should I go for any casting stuff for defense? I just go for a balance?

do you care about pyromancy? fully upgrading a glove takes a few hundred thousand souls. buying all the spells more on top of that.

malfcn

I have never casted anything. Been all swords and stuff. I have the bullshit casts in PVP though.. Invaded and in the distance I saw someone hit for 64000+ damage. Wtf.

Beaulieu

started this game today. Right after the starting area, the bird takes you to that greeny area.... I attacked the dude by the bonfire... now I just spawn and he kills me, then I spawn again, he kills me etc.....

Ive made a big mistake.

Booshka

started this game today. Right after the starting area, the bird takes you to that greeny area.... I attacked the dude by the bonfire... now I just spawn and he kills me, then I spawn again, he kills me etc.....

Ive made a big mistake.

Abandon that game and restart, or try to fight him, you can beat him with Parry+Riposte and Backstabs.

Wowbagger

I dropped many times my SS just before 4 Kings but no one summoned me. I'm I under leveled for that area ?

I don't think so. I got stuck fighting the four kings in NG+ at level 55 and found the best place to summon people was right outside the towers at the start of New Londo, below Firelink Shrine. I'd occasionally stumble upon a sign at the bottom of the stairs leading to the three ghosts plus two wraiths fight. Never found signs anywhere else down there.

I must have spent a dozen hours helping others beat 4 Kings at 55, always placing my sign at the start and never having to wait long. Finally got enough souls to level up to 75 or so and beat them myself. That is one hell of a hard fight in NG+.

Soulhouf

Thank you Sullichin & Wowbagger, I finally get summoned for 4K fight. I put my SS right at the start of New Londo.
This is the first time i fight this boss co-op and it was the most awesome fight ever.

I can't believe that after 300+ hours I still enjoy this game so much.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just met a fucking lovely chap (playing PS3) by the name of ytod...

Oh no, wait, actually he wasn't lovely at all - he was one of those invader-befriending clowns who likes to pick on low-level co-op partners.
It was also my wife playing, which meant her poor little SL23 sorc unknowingly got summoned by the same guy 3 times in a row, only to be sandwiched between two blue phantoms while the host just stood there bowing. It was only when she piped up and showed me what was going on the 4th time that I managed to get a couple of shrugs off, before helplessly falling victim one last time.

Seriously, what exactly do they get out of it besides the 1000 souls her character was carrying and a very quick and dirty/easy fight?

I know many of you are already familiar with this, but I hadn't believed there were such folk out there until I saw their dickery in action for myself. I can't even imagine how dastardly you have to be even to arrange such calculated, frustration-inducing 'fun'.

Ah well. The one thing I got out of it is the knowledge that blocking people through your 'Players Met' list actually works.

Edit: Oop, in other news: we just got invaded ourselves, only this time the lone blue phantom dropped 99 Green Titanite Shards and proceeded to ninja flip off the nearest cliff.

This game's community is absolutely baffling!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
elohel said:
lol anyone wanna help with the abyss battle?

im so stuck there : (

edit: sl 121 or so here I think, NG+

What's going wrong exactly? Thing about 4 Kings is that there's not a lot of actual variance in the strategy.

I'm not sure how effective it is since they nerfed pursuit spells, but homing crystal soulmass used to be a good way to stack a bit of extra punch on your first hit / between spawns, but these days I suspect you'd be better advised to just chug a green blossom and make sure you're fully healed.

If you're getting worn down too fast make sure you are pressing into the enemy you are facing and circle strafing constantly. The movement will make it less likely you'll get hit by other kings spawning elsewhere and I believe will discourage the boss from using its big attacks.

The honest truth is that there's more than a small element of luck to it, it depends what attacks the enemy uses as that affects the balance of time spent hacking versus healing.

You really need to ride your luck and leave it as late as possible to heal.

EDIT:

Just looking at the wiki and I saw the "power within" rush technique. If you have high pyro, that spell and great combustion that'll probably give you a fantastic head start. You can do some sick damage fast with that combo.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Guys, I really need some help here. As a die-hard Demon's Souls fan I was so excited to get Dark Souls. I put well over 600 hours in Demon's Souls and already about 60 in Dark Souls but that damn stage is preventing me from having fun. My main problem is the framerate which must be some kind of inside joke to make the stage even more disgusting. How long is this fucking stage (atm I'm at some kind of water wheel)? Are the next stages as bad as this one when it comes to framerate issues? Any tips how to quickly finish this stupid stage?

Frank

Guys, I really need some help here. As a die-hard Demon's Souls fan I was so excited to get Dark Souls. I put well over 600 hours in Demon's Souls and already about 60 in Dark Souls but that damn stage is preventing me from having fun. My main problem is the framerate which must be some kind of inside joke to make the stage even more disgusting. How long is this fucking stage (atm I'm at some kind of water wheel)? Are the next stages as bad as this one when it comes to framerate issues? Any tips how to quickly finish this stupid stage?

If you're on the floor of Blighttown, position yourself to have the bonfire at your back. You have to go to your right, pass by the wheel and continue, until you can see a hilly kinda thing, with trees stucking out of it. There are some fatties in the area -- you can go around them.

Middle-top of the hilly thing is the entrance to Queelag, the boss for that stage. Beat her, and explore the area after her.

After that, if you want to get out of Blighttown the fast way, go up the waterwheel you passed by earlier, and then continue to go up up up. At some point you'll come to a path, with 3 fatties, and the exit. It will lead you into Valley of the Drakes, right across a gate which lets you enter New Londo ruins, leaving you right next to the elevator that leads you to Firelink Shrine.

Running this path (instead of fighting your way through it) will take less then 3 minutes going from Queelag to Firelink.

Blighttown is, I think, the worst when it comes to framerate. Nothing after is as bad as Blighttown.

/edit
I think you'll need a key for the gate you find in Valley of the Drakes, but if I remember correctly you should find the key when you get to the top floor / path towards exit, right before those 3 fatties I was mentioning earlier. However, if someone can confirm this, it would be great (I cannot right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom