• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I really need some help here. As a die-hard Demon's Souls fan I was so excited to get Dark Souls. I put well over 600 hours in Demon's Souls and already about 60 in Dark Souls but that damn stage is preventing me from having fun. My main problem is the framerate which must be some kind of inside joke to make the stage even more disgusting. How long is this fucking stage (atm I'm at some kind of water wheel)? Are the next stages as bad as this one when it comes to framerate issues? Any tips how to quickly finish this stupid stage?

If you're at the water wheel then you're very close to the boss. Did you light the bonfire in the swamp area?

An easier/faster way to get through it is to use the backdoor entrance from valley of drakes.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Oh, so I'm not too far. That's encouraging, thanks guys. :)

Maybe you can help me with my equipment problem too. These are my stats:
Pyromancer Level 61
V 16
A 19
E 40
S 26
D 13
R 12
I 10
F 8

I still use the Drake Sword but I know that there must something better. Which weapon should I get/upgrade and how? My current armor is the Helm of the Wise, Armor of the Glorious, Gauntlets of the Vanquisher, and Elite Knight Leggins. Also the Ring of the Evil Eye and Havel's Ring. Is this ok for a Pyro at that level? I feel way too weak.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kamorra said:
Guys, I really need some help here. As a die-hard Demon's Souls fan I was so excited to get Dark Souls. I put well over 600 hours in Demon's Souls and already about 60 in Dark Souls but that damn stage is preventing me from having fun. My main problem is the framerate which must be some kind of inside joke to make the stage even more disgusting. How long is this fucking stage (atm I'm at some kind of water wheel)? Are the next stages as bad as this one when it comes to framerate issues? Any tips how to quickly finish this stupid stage?

Blighttown shouldn't be that bad (playing on PS3 I assume? No idea how much "worse" 360 is) outside areas right at the top of the towers where the draw-distance is the longest.

From a gameplay standpoint Blighttown is basically a single big room with two large climbable towers in it, the important stuff is all in adjoining areas. There's a lot of useful things to find in there, but there's nothing to stop you simply running through it.

The simple fact is that once you know your way around, and ideally have the Ring Of Fog so the respawning mosquitoes stop pestering you its actually one of the least threatening zones in the game.

kamorra said:
I still use the Drake Sword but I know that there must something better. Which weapon should I get/upgrade and how? My current armor is the Helm of the Wise, Armor of the Glorious, Gauntlets of the Vanquisher, and Elite Knight Leggins. Also the Ring of the Evil Eye and Havel's Ring. Is this ok for a Pyro at that level? I feel way too weak.

As a Pyro the main thing that matters is how high your Flame is (get +10 asap) is, and seriously, if its your first char don't be embarrassed to stack some vitality. Having a nice HP cushion really helps.

Also don't disregard the default Pyromancer gear, its got solid poison resistance (ideal for Blighttown) and the Manchettes (gloves) particuilarly are actually extremely good for light armour after a few upgrades.

Frank

Pretty much everything & anything is ok. But it also depends on your play style.

If you're a dancer, keep the lightest armour possible to be able to do the fast roll. If you're more of a tank, put on the things which have the highest Defence, & highest Poise (more important, I would say, as having high Poise means you won't get staggered by the attacks of the enemies, and you can swing your sword through their attacks).

Weapons -- just find the one you like the most (look & moveset), and upgrade it. You're not so deep into the game, so all the upgrade options are not yet open -- for now, Drake Sword will do. When you get to Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo (right after you beat Queelag, Sen's Fortress should be your next destination) you'll have more upgrade options. That's when you should commit to a weapon, and make the best of it.

Generally, the game seems to me to be more about the player and his play style, and less about the equipment or SL. You should always have a high damage weapon (and a good shield -- 100% physical Defence & high Stability), everything else (armor, rings etc) is up to your personal preferences.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
As a Pyro the main thing that matters is how high your Flame is (get +10 asap) is, and seriously, if its your first char don't be embarrassed to stack some vitality. Having a nice HP cushion really helps

It's +15. I also don't have big problems with the enemies in Blighttown. The stage is the problem it gives me headaches and overall feel of nausea. It's so annoying. But it seems that I'm near the end so I will try it again this evening.

So, thanks again guys. I will probably come back here with my weapon question when I finished Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kamorra said:
It's +15. I also don't have big problems with the enemies in Blighttown. The stage is the problem it gives me headaches and overall feel of nausea. It's so annoying. But it seems that I'm near the end so I will try it again this evening.

Unfortunately for you, Quelaana, the advanced pyromancy trainer lives in the swamp, so you're going to need to visit the area quite a few more times ; ;

Frank

So, thanks again guys. I will probably come back here with my weapon question when I finished Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo.

Should be more 'while doing them', then 'after' :)

You should already be able to take any weapon to +10. What you don't have yet is access to the merchant that sells you Large Titanite Shards (which are used to take weapons from +5 to +10). But you should have already collected a few of them from the world, and you'll find more along Sen's Fortress. You'll find the merchant at the top of Sen's.

There are a few weapons which will end up with higher damage then your current output (mainly because of damage scaling with your stats, which the Drake Sword lacks). A Claymore (right at the Sunlight Altar bonfire) or a Zweihander (in the cemetery down from Firelink Shrine) will fit quite well with your high STR character.

The moveset is slower, but the damage (Zwei's R2 is a mighty beast, flattens enemies like nothing) should counterbalance the slowness.

krakov

Pretty much everything & anything is ok. But it also depends on your play style.

If you're a dancer, keep the lightest armour possible to be able to do the fast roll. If you're more of a tank, put on the things which have the highest Defence, & highest Poise (more important, I would say, as having high Poise means you won't get staggered by the attacks of the enemies, and you can swing your sword through their attacks).

Weapons -- just find the one you like the most (look & moveset), and upgrade it. You're not so deep into the game, so all the upgrade options are not yet open -- for now, Drake Sword will do. When you get to Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo (right after you beat Queelag, Sen's Fortress should be your next destination) you'll have more upgrade options. That's when you should commit to a weapon, and make the best of it.

Generally, the game seems to me to be more about the player and his play style, and less about the equipment or SL. You should always have a high damage weapon (and a good shield -- 100% physical Defence & high Stability), everything else (armor, rings etc) is up to your personal preferences.

I agree, though I'd say you don't actually need a shield at all. Almost anything is viable for PvE.

Sullichin

Oh, so I'm not too far. That's encouraging, thanks guys. :)

Maybe you can help me with my equipment problem too. These are my stats:
Pyromancer Level 61
V 16
A 19
E 40
S 26
D 13
R 12
I 10
F 8

I like the armor of the glorious set. Pretty decent poise/def. It's not the BEST but it looks cool, I use it on some of my chars. You can upgrade you elite knight leggings. Ring of Evil eye is pretty useless, but I used it when I first got it as well, might as well use it until you get a better ring.. I suggest ring of favor and protection, there will be some spoilers if you look up how to get that, but it will give you a permanent increase to health/equip load/stamina. It breaks when you take it off, but just don't do that.

As others have said upgrade your pyro glove. Once you get it to +15 there's a woman sitting in blighttown before the boss who can ascend it further. You definitely want to do this. So, unfortunately you will most likely have to come back to blighttown. BUT, coming from firelink - > valley of the drakes skips the worst parts of the level. It's still 2FPS city tho.

EDIT Didn't see you had your glove at +15 already. So start getting it to ascended +5!

Mess around with a weapon you like and then upgrade it. Your drake sword is not scaling with your strength or dexterity stats at all. If you got a claymore, for example, you'd get some scaling bonuses. But you'd still need to upgrade the weapon a few times at the blacksmith for it to outpower drakes.

Frank

I agree, though I'd say you don't actually need a shield at all. Almost anything is viable for PvE.

Also agree, that's why it's bracketed :) Still, some areas fit better with a 'keep your ground, soak damage through shield' approach -- especially when you don't have much room to maneuver the rolling part of the equation.

Sullichin

I'll be picking up Soul Calibur 5 later.. this might be the first character I make

ezK1a.jpg

(from reddit)

Mike M

Nick N
Sooooo... How available are titanite shards? I fear I may have wasted a bunch upgrading armor I'm not even using anymore. Do the blacksmiths have an unlimited amount to sell, or is it one of those single purchase only deals?

Sooooo... How available are titanite shards? I fear I may have wasted a bunch upgrading armor I'm not even using anymore. Do the blacksmiths have an unlimited amount to sell, or is it one of those single purchase only deals?

Infinite and cheap. You're fine.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mike M said:

Unlimited and cheap relatively. The only things you need to be careful using are chunks and especially slabs.

krakov

Also agree, that's why it's bracketed :) Still, some areas fit better with a 'keep your ground, soak damage through shield' approach -- especially when you don't have much room to maneuver the rolling part of the equation.

Yeah, I would highly recommend using a good shield first time around. It's pretty easy to get stuck constant blocking though, making poor use of the stamina bar. Everything went a lot smoother for me when I stopped hiding behind my shield.

Dresden

Even chunks are easily farmed (and you can do this right away if you are so inclined by
draining New Londo
). Slabs are the only things that are truly valuable in this game.

Well, and for people who can't cut Seath's tail, the need to hold MLGS for the trophy. :p

Dark Souls dev sorry for frame-rate issues, uncertain on sequel

Dark Souls developer From Software has admitted to "technical difficulties" which cause troubling frame-rate issues in its hard-as-nails role-player.

From Software felt out of its depth with the game's huge scope, Dark Souls' creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed to Edge.

"Yes, there were technical difficulties," Miyazaki said. "I don't believe that it's okay to have them, but realistically speaking, it was quite a large-scale game - even in terms of budget and expectations.

"So we're very sorry for the trouble we've caused by our processing errors and bugs from Japan. It was a title that we haven't really experienced in all aspects, so there were areas where we felt our technical side couldn't keep up with the game's scope, like an increasingly growing ache."

Miyazaki considered working on the game "a learning curve", but is unsure whether From Software will ever revisit the Dark Souls universe.

"We don't even know if we'll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don't know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-dark-souls-developer-apologises-for-frame-rate-issues

Put this here as i can't make new threads but if someone can, its def worth starting a new thread in the gaming section on this

sleepykyo

Dark Souls dev sorry for frame-rate issues, uncertain on sequel

Dark Souls developer From Software has admitted to "technical difficulties" which cause troubling frame-rate issues in its hard-as-nails role-player.

From Software felt out of its depth with the game's huge scope, Dark Souls' creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed to Edge.

"Yes, there were technical difficulties," Miyazaki said. "I don't believe that it's okay to have them, but realistically speaking, it was quite a large-scale game - even in terms of budget and expectations.

"So we're very sorry for the trouble we've caused by our processing errors and bugs from Japan. It was a title that we haven't really experienced in all aspects, so there were areas where we felt our technical side couldn't keep up with the game's scope, like an increasingly growing ache."

Miyazaki considered working on the game "a learning curve", but is unsure whether From Software will ever revisit the Dark Souls universe.

"We don't even know if we'll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don't know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-dark-souls-developer-apologises-for-frame-rate-issues

Put this here as i can't make new threads but if someone can, its def worth starting a new thread in the gaming section on this

Did Dark Souls fail to hit Namco's numbers?

Soulhouf

The technical problems never bothered me, so I forgive you FROM. Keep making amazing games like this.

That put aside, Japanese players are really impressive. I was summoned by a guy in New Londo and the boss kept kicking our ass. So I sent him a message to ask about NG+ and he answered me that he was on his NG+11.
He is SL55 playing in NG+11. Those players never cease to amaze me.
Finally we managed to beat the boss after a few tries. The fight was one of the most epic, the most intense I had in any game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd be *very* surprised if we don't get a third installment, its got to have done well enough to cover costs.

Namco/Bandai were claiming 1.5m shipped last November, which is a very respectable figure.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So I killed the boss in Blighttown and I found the hidden room right after the boss room.
Right behind the hidden room is a enemy, one of these disgusting eggsack things. I killed him and then realized that he wasn't an enemy but a npc.
Did I screw up big time here?

krakov

So I killed the boss in Blighttown and I found the hidden room right after the boss room.
Right behind the hidden room is a enemy, one of these disgusting eggsack things. I killed him and then realized that he wasn't an enemy but a npc.

You are not missing out on much by doing that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kamorra said:

Just make damn sure you don't get infected by one of the egg carriers, because I'm not sure where else you can get vermifuges to cure it!

Booshka

Just make damn sure you don't get infected by one of the egg carriers, because I'm not sure where else you can get vermifuges to cure it!

You can get one in the Painted World, and it's a pretty common drop from those Snakes on the trees in the Forest leading to the Moonlight Butterfly.

Oh my God. Smough and Ornstein are killing me. Does anyone have any tips? Please? Prettyplease?

Also...if you use estus flasks, humanities, and any form of healing items in a boss battle, are they gone for good is you lose? I'm always afraid to use a healing item unless I'm doing really well and certain I will beat the boss.

Oh my God. Smough and Ornstein are killing me. Does anyone have any tips? Please? Prettyplease?

Also...if you use estus flasks, humanities, and any form of healing items in a boss battle, are they gone for good is you lose? I'm always afraid to use a healing item unless I'm doing really well and certain I will beat the boss.

estus flasks are replenished at bonfires. other stuff disappears when you use it.

Go human and summon another player or two. That's the easiest way. If you're on ps3 and around lvl 56 I would help you out but I doubt I can play tonight.

If you go alone, just take it slow and try to kill ornstein first, because super ornstein is a bitch. I'd recommend using the eagle shield for the lightning defense and good stability. I think having maximum mobility is more important than defense in this fight. If you're doing it right, you shouldn't be getting hit much, and neither one of them hits that hard. Not hard enough to one shot you or combo you to death.

Booshka

so if i use all my estus flasks on this boss and die, i can still try it again next time with all my estus flasks still here?

Yes, there are a few things of note to mention though. If you got any extra flasks from other players in the world kindling or rating up your message those won't come with you next time you spawn at a bonfire. It is a good idea to use Humanity to Kindle bonfires and give you more flasks to use rather than use it as a one time healing item. If you die after healing with a humanity, then you can retrieve that active humanity through bloodstain with your souls (it always works this way, active humanity is a part of your bloodstain just like Souls are).

If you are on 360 and around Level 60 I can help.

I used two of them in the battle, died, and never got them back. :\ I must not be understanding how this whole bonfire-flask dynamic works.

Booshka

I used two of them in the battle, died, and never got them back. :\ I must not be understanding how this whole bonfire-flask dynamic works.

Estus Flask is what gets refilled at Bonfires when you rest at them, you will always have a bare minimum of 5 when you rest a bonfire, and you can get 10 with one Kindling, then 15 to 20 with The Rite of Kindling and more Kindling. You need to make sure you are healing with Estus Flasks and not Humanity, Humanity is what you use to Reverse Hollow form and then be allowed to Kindle a bonfire with another Humanity to give yourself more Estus Flasks to work with every time you rest at a bonfire. If for some strange reason Estus Flask isn't a Quick Use Item, go into your equipment and equip it. This is what you need to use to heal.

So since I had 8, I actually can lose them, but I will have 5 when I start back up at the bonfire, or 10 if I kindle it, and 15+ when I get that one item.

exactly. I'm impressed that you made it this far conserving health to the degree it seems you have been lol

lol thanks. I have 6 flasks, 8 humanities, and 6 double humanities. I almost never use humanities because I didn't understand wtf they did outside of healing -- now I do! haha. I honestly never felt the urge to use a bunch of healing items...but this boss fight has changed that. This boss, man. This boss. Ugh.

New question. :\ Another thing I'm probably just simply not understanding. So I want to upgrade this bonfire with 1 humanity so that I can get 10 of those bad boys. When I click Kindle, it says "Cannot kindled while hollowed," and when I go to Reverse Hollowing, it says "No humanity." But I have 9 Humanities and 6 doubles. This is probably something simple I'm not understanding....

Booshka

New question. :\ Another thing I'm probably just simply not understanding. So I want to upgrade this bonfire with 1 humanity so that I can get 10 of those bad boys. When I click Kindle, it says "Cannot kindled while hollowed," and when I go to Reverse Hollowing, it says "No humanity." But I have 9 Humanities and 6 doubles. This is probably something simple I'm not understanding....

Use one of your Twin Humanities, you will have two humanity put into your counter and are now "Active." Now rest at the bonfire and Reverse Hollow, then you can kindle the bonfire. Twin Humanities are perfect for kindling.

You have to consume the humanities to be able to use them. The number in the top left of your screen indicates active humanity. The humanities in your inventory aren't active until you use them.

Edit: Oops, must have had this page open for a while, haha.

malfcn

You need to have your 00 in the upper left corner be lit up, or something like 01. That is your counter. The number is how much you have 'activated?' and it being lit up means you aren't hollow.

How is someone SL55 and +11? What are they doing with all the souls? And how are they doing it all. Insanity.

Thanks, guys. The having-10-flasks thing really did help...I beat the boss. I had to use one humanity for healing because I ran out of flasks and was very close to dying.

Thanks to everyone's help!

Please tell me there is no harder boss than those two guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom