• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaulieu

I think I'm really fuckin bad at this game. I'm now level 20 and just reached
the bridge with the red dragon on it .... and the huge boss on the wall before that just fell down after 40 tries to kill him. Dont know if it's a bug or that's how it's supposed to happen... lol

It's seems to be more about exploration that I thought it would be tho'. That I like.

I think I'm really fuckin bad at this game. I'm now level 20 and just reached
the bridge with the red dragon on it .... and the huge boss on the wall before that just fell down after 40 tries to kill him. Dont know if it's a bug or that's how it's supposed to happen... lol

It's seems to be more about exploration that I thought it would be tho'. That I like.

When you reach the Taurus Demon, you're still learning the combat system. Keep at it. In a few more areas, you'll wonder why you ever had trouble with him; on my new characters/NG+, I always beat him in one go, often without him even touching me. In my first play through, I almost threw my controller through the TV; now, I just kinda feel sorry for it, because it's like fighting a 10-year-old.

you fight Taurus demons as regular enemies in a late-game level. Unless you are being careless or get mobbed by several at once, you probably will never be hit by them, especially as those areas are much more open than the bridge.

Beaulieu

When you reach the Taurus Demon, you're still learning the combat system. Keep at it. In a few more areas, you'll wonder why you ever had trouble with him; on my new characters/NG+, I always beat him in one go, often without him even touching me. In my first play through, I almost threw my controller through the TV; now, I just kinda feel sorry for it, because it's like fighting a 10-year-old.

you fight Taurus demons as regular enemies in a late-game level. Unless you are being careless or get mobbed by several at once, you probably will never be hit by them, especially as those areas are much more open than the bridge.

ok cool, but was he really supposed to fall down ? lol. I killed him without even hitting him.
I hope to have more room to move around them when I reach these parts you're speaking of....

Mike M

Nick N
So what exactly are the rules governing enemy respawning? I know the bonfires will bring everything that respawned back, but I went from the Depths to the Undead Parish to get myself some purging stones, didn't hit up any bonfires on the way, and ran headlong into a mob of hollows when I got back to the Depths because everything there had respawned.

Enemies stay dead until you use a bonfire or venture two areas away, that about right?

Dresden

ok cool, but was he really supposed to fall down ? lol. I killed him without even hitting him.
I hope to have more room to move around them when I reach these parts you're speaking of....

If he fell down, you won. I think From encourages "cheap" tactics because in the end, getting there is what counts, not how you got there.

Also, the taurus demons get really easy when you realize that they're very predictable - bait them into swinging, step back, then hit them while they recover. Also, you can run through their legs.

3-1 and world 4 should be in level design hall of fame.

So true. 3-1 is godly, and shrine of storms is just love all over. 3-3 should be in the Boss Encounter hall of fame also.

No. The bow and arrows are for shooting the dragon's tail off from underneath the bridge, which will get you a special sword.

or you can just pull him down to middle of the bridge, run between his legs and hack it off. bow is probably less frustrating and prone to death though ;)

Soulhouf

Just met a fucking lovely chap (playing PS3) by the name of ytod
It was also my wife playing, which meant her poor little SL23 sorc unknowingly got summoned by the same guy 3 times in a row, only to be sandwiched between two blue phantoms while the host just stood there bowing.
This image is so ridiculous.
It happened to me with 2 players. At first I didn't understand what happened, but yeah what is the fun buy doing that? The host does not get anything beside hatred.

How is someone SL55 and +11? What are they doing with all the souls? And how are they doing it all. Insanity.
I'm using souls to upgrade my stuff and buy everything I find and still I'm carrying currently 2 million souls.

Edit: Ah you're referring to the guy in NG+11 SL55. I guess he doesn't care about souls since even his gear is a starter one.

maomaoIYP

This image is so ridiculous.
It happened to me with 2 players. At first I didn't understand what happened, but yeah what is the fun buy doing that? The host does not get anything beside hatred.

It's the satisfaction of being an anonymous bully.

I manage to occasionally get a lucky victory over such situations, and from the soul count, most of them are sitting at astronomical soul levels, like 250 onwards.

How is someone SL55 and +11? What are they doing with all the souls? And how are they doing it all. Insanity.

buying upgrade stones mostly myself. and moss, homeward bones, prism stones, resin, anything really. and regularly losing heaps, but who cares if you've nothing left to spend it on.

krakov

Spent some time in NG++ just standing around Undead Burg/Parish. Seems like most of the low level darkwraiths give up pretty quickly when tables are turned.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Do I get a penalty for leaving the Way of White for the Chaos covenants? Because that's what I just did. My char is a pyromancer so i thought Chaos is more suitable.

one85x

Do I get a penalty for leaving the Way of White for the Chaos covenants? Because that's what I just did. My char is a pyromancer so i thought Chaos is more suitable.
Nope. Your covenant rank would normally be reduced by one, but Way of White doesn't have any ranks.

maomaoIYP

16 invasion victories tonight in the forest with my SL 85 glass cannon. Won a whole bunch of 2v1 matches, including this duo where the host was SL 345, hiding in a corner while his buddy camps the spawn with TWoP. I had the pleasure of 2 shotting him with crystal soul spear on my third fight with him. Feelsgoodman.jpg

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What do I have to do to upgrade my weapons to + 10? I've just finished Blighttown. The only smith I've found so far is Andre. And where can I use the Soul of
Quelaag
?

edit
Please ignore the first question, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Shit. Not sure if I want to continue playing. Just beat the Gaping Dragon, and got the key to Blighttown. Went there with maybe two Estus Flasks left, not expecting difficult poison enemies off the bat. Got poisoned and died, losing about 17,000 souls (I purchased a piece of armor off the vendor after the dragon battle since I knew walking around with over 30k souls was going to be an issue - probably should've just used a homeward bone after that.)

Anyway, I figure, okay, getting back wouldn't be too hard. No dragon in the way, and I've cleared to him a dozen times anyway. My bloodstain was just at the bottom of the second ladder anyway.

NOPE. Got CURSED by a single fucking frog thing causing instant death. 17,000 souls (I think more than I've ever had) gone in an instant. I also have no curse removal items so now I'm kind of fucked, as getting all the way back to the bell tower will be a huge pain in the ass. And then I have to go ALL the way back through Depths to get to Blighttown again, where there must be a bonfire somewhere.

UGGGHHHHHH.

Is there any solace?

What do I have to do to upgrade my weapons to + 10? I've just finished Blighttown. The only smith I've found so far is Andre. And where can I use the Soul of
Quelaag
?

edit
Please ignore the first question, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Boss souls are used by the anor londo smith.

Is there any solace?

One thing I'd say is that you're not nearly as deep into the game as you might think. You could consider starting over if you really feel the run/build is fucked. Once you really get a hold of things you can get to where you are in under two hours.

Otherwise, just suck it up. Everyone goes through the "man, getting cursed fucking sucks" phase.

Sullichin

Shit. Not sure if I want to continue playing. Just beat the Gaping Dragon, and got the key to Blighttown. Went there with maybe two Estus Flasks left, not expecting difficult poison enemies off the bat. Got poisoned and died, losing about 17,000 souls (I purchased a piece of armor off the vendor after the dragon battle since I knew walking around with over 30k souls was going to be an issue - probably should've just used a homeward bone after that.)

Anyway, I figure, okay, getting back wouldn't be too hard. No dragon in the way, and I've cleared to him a dozen times anyway. My bloodstain was just at the bottom of the second ladder anyway.

NOPE. Got CURSED by a single fucking frog thing causing instant death. 17,000 souls (I think more than I've ever had) gone in an instant. I also have no curse removal items so now I'm kind of fucked, as getting all the way back to the bell tower will be a huge pain in the ass. And then I have to go ALL the way back through Depths to get to Blighttown again, where there must be a bonfire somewhere.

UGGGHHHHHH.

Is there any solace?

The undead female merchant in the burg sells purging stones. You don't have to go all the way back to the bell tower.

It's also possible to clear the depths without encountering those motherfucking frogs. In the room that had the giant rat, slide down all the way on the LEFT side (right side or middle will bring you to frog land), and you will be in the room that has the door to blighttown and the merchant you bought that armor from. There's also a staircase here that leads to a shortcut back to the bonfire. Unless I'm not remembering the layout correctly.

17,000 souls is nothing, as you'll learn! I lost 1.6 million souls the other day. I was done leveling but still, you'll see that losing lots of souls isn't that big of a deal, although it's always risky to walk around with a ton of them. Co-op the gaping dragon a few times and you'll be rolling in souls.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Is there any solace?

The depths are easy, you can get through them super fast.

At the back of the room where you fight the first butcher is a little drop down just behind his table. Dropping through there will put you in the area where the giant rat is. Use some sort of ranged attack to wear him down/kill him, failing that use a dropping 2-handed attack to quickly murderize him.

He doesn't respawn so you only have to do this once, if you haven't done so already.

From there, face towards where the water runs down, and slide down the slope hugging the left-wall. This will drop you in the big hallway in front of the Blighttown entrance.

The depths are very easy to get around and avoid the basilisks: Simple rules are never fall down any holes once you hit the tunnels, unless you have already killed all the basilisks first.

Doing this is easy with any sort of ranged/magic attack by approaching them down the ramps at the left-side of the hallway I mentioned earlier in front of the Blighttown area.
Just watch out for Kirk invading you if you're human, he can be quite a handful if you're low level and unprepared for a tough fight.

I just felt really bad about getting cursed as I'd killed dozens of those frogs with no issue before. Just happened to get sort of stuck in a corner and get screwed.

I just kind of had to rage quit after that, as losses in this game are truly mortifying. Especially so the larger the loss becomes.

I'll come back eventually, but I need some time to decompress. I only finally beat the Gaping Dragon this morning after maybe 10-15 attempts or so previously, but I knew I could do it. I might have had him on the last attempt I made in my previous session, but I accidentally ran off the waterfall, not knowing there was a cliff there. I was on the edge of victory when I had last played the game.

As mortifying as losses can be, victories are triumphant.

Just got the game and played couple of hours

My reaction:

I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpg

But I am making some slow progress and learning stuff.

Mike M

Nick N

UGGGHHHHHH.

Is there any solace?

Depths to the Bell Tower isn't THAT arduous of a trek. From the bonfire to lower Undead Burg there's mostly cannon fodder enemies that are cake, then there's a shortcut to Firelink almost as soon as you get into the Burg, then there's a shortcut straight to the church in Parish from there. Bonfires at both Firelink and Parish are easy waypoints to get to.

The return trip isn't bad either, there's a shortcut almost directly from the Depths bonfire to Blighttown. Worst case if you didn't open it yet is that you drop down into the giant rat's area from behind the Butcher's table, take the slide down to the lower level, deal with one basilisk and some rats, then open up the shortcut.

Sullichin

I just felt really bad about getting cursed as I'd killed dozens of those frogs with no issue before. Just happened to get sort of stuck in a corner and get screwed.

I just kind of had to rage quit after that, as losses in this game are truly mortifying. Especially so the larger the loss becomes.

I'll come back eventually, but I need some time to decompress. I only finally beat the Gaping Dragon this morning after maybe 10-15 attempts or so previously, but I knew I could do it. I might have had him on the last attempt I made in my previous session, but I accidentally ran off the waterfall, not knowing there was a cliff there. I was on the edge of victory when I had last played the game.

As mortifying as losses can be, victories are triumphant.

I got cursed multiple times in my first playthrough of the depths. I'd cure it, swear to myself it wouldn't happen again, and then get cursed again. Before I knew my way around of course.

The design of the depths is so genius. It's possible to get by without encountering the frogs, but it's very unlikely you will do this your first time through. On consecutive playthroughs or visits down there, your personal experience will keep you out of danger.

JerkShep

Ok completed Anor Londo and obtained the Lordvessel.
Ornstein and Smough were a pain in the ass, but I feel I'm getting better at this. Early fights were definitely more traumatic, I think I tried the Gargoyles in Undead Parish 20 times argh.

Now, is there a "correct" order in which I should tackle the
lords
?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Pyromancy,
Accidently killed Laurentius of the Great Swamp. Sigh. I have made it as far as ringing the second bell. How am I to farm titanite to get to +10 weapons without Pyromancy Flaming the slime in the depths? (wish I could, seems easiest). Can I learn other Pyromancer skills without Laurentius?

Dresden

Pyromancy,
Accidently killed Laurentius of the Great Swamp. Sigh. I have made it as far as ringing the second bell. How am I to farm titanite to get to +10 weapons without Pyromancy Flaming the slime in the depths? (wish I could, seems easiest). Can I learn other Pyromancer skills without Laurentius?

I think you can use the dude in the daughter of chaos bonfire. It's below the second bell.

Also to farm titanite, do this:

grab the covetuous serpent ring from Sen's Fortress

go to New Londo

"unlock" the lower area

farm the enemies there for titanite chunks

feed to Frampt for Large shards

Beaulieu

Post what you need help with (I assume it's going to be a lot).

I started two days ago and pretty much in the same boat as that guy so I'll ask here ; whats the benefit of being human-looking (non-hollow) if I play offline ?
Is there a negative for leveling up ? Should I slow down/stop leveling at a certain point ? do ennemy scale ?
Also, is it possible to sell stuff ? Only merchant Ive seen yet would only sell stuff to me.

Mike M

Nick N
I started two days ago and pretty much in the same boat as that guy so I'll ask here ; whats the benefit of being human-looking (non-hollow) if I play offline ?
Is there a negative for leveling up ? Should I slow down/stop leveling at a certain point ? do ennemy scale ?
Also, is it possible to sell stuff ? Only merchant Ive seen yet would only sell stuff to me.

Being human lets you summon some CPU phantoms to help with some boss fights.

I think there's an NPC who appears later who will exchange your unwanted inventory for souls or other items or something (Haven't gotten that far myself)

I don't believe enemies scale, only penalty I can think of for leveling is that the cost of each subsequent level goes up, so I guess it's possible to level the "wrong" things and get stuck where you can't take on higher level enemies for more souls and instead have to grind really weak mobs for a pittance. The return on some attributes level off at some point to (I.e. Endurance doesn't add any more stamina after level 40, it just adds to your equipment load)

Beaulieu

Being human lets you summon some CPU phantoms to help with some boss fights.

I think there's an NPC who appears later who will exchange your unwanted inventory for souls or other items or something (Haven't gotten that far myself)

I don't believe enemies scale, only penalty I can think of for leveling is that the cost of each subsequent level goes up, so I guess it's possible to level the "wrong" things and get stuck where you can't take on higher level enemies for more souls and instead have to grind really weak mobs for a pittance. The return on some attributes level off at some point to (I.e. Endurance doesn't add any more stamina after level 40, it just adds to your equipment load)

cool thanks !

Sullichin

- Being Human will allow you to summon NPCs for co-op. It also allows you to be invaded by NPC invaders.

- It's not possible to sell stuff till later (after you ring both bells).

- Enemies don't scale.

- No negative for leveling, except that it takes more souls each time. If you were playing online, you run the risk of leveling up too much to be in range to co-op with other players in an area.

- But don't waste your levels. Check out the wikis online and see what each stat does, and how the weapons you use interact with your stats. If you don't know what to level.. VIT and END never hurt. You max out stamina at 40END.

Beaulieu

- But don't waste your levels. Check out the wikis online and see what each stat does, and how the weapons you use interact with your stats. If you don't know what to level.. VIT and END never hurt. You max out stamina at 40END.

Thanks for all info.
Im a cleric and pretty much just putting lvls in vit and end and a little str for now.

I have the game for two weeks only, dont think Ill get very far : )

Man, so close to 100% achievements!

I just have to beat Bed of Chaos and then the last boss.

Bed of Chaos is being a lot more annoying than first play through, so I'm stuck there at the moment...... but, so close!!! :D

At least it sounds like you are giving it a fair chance and playing with an open mind. I bet you will end up liking it a lot if you get far.

Actually I was enjoying it from the beginning and dying a lot doesn't really bother me that much as long as I am making even the slightest amount of progress. I knew from the beginning (well, since Demons Souls) that this would be something I'd enjoy but for some reason I didn't buy Demons Souls... I am no stranger to brutal-but-fair games anyway. :)

Pyromancy,

You can buy large shards from the merchant on top of Sen's or from the Anor Londo blacksmith. That's the easiest way.

maomaoIYP

just started playing today.
can someone point me to a good starting build?
i would like to play some pvp later on.

Low stat cost chaos/lightning weapons.
40-50 VIT
40 END

You can throw in a dash of pyromancy for good measure, pyromancy is excellent for new players in PvE, but less useful in PvP.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm determined to beat that damned Hydra in Darkroot Basin, but I get bogged down in the water trying to get to him. I presume the water gets shallower and allows normal movement if I can get in closer?

Thinking maybe I'd have more luck if I came in through Havel's door and didn't need to spend the time traversing around the rim of the lake while under constant fire...

maomaoIYP

I'm determined to beat that damned Hydra in Darkroot Basin, but I get bogged down in the water trying to get to him. I presume the water gets shallower and allows normal movement if I can get in closer?

Thinking maybe I'd have more luck if I came in through Havel's door and didn't need to spend the time traversing around the rim of the lake while under constant fire...

The dead body with the knight gear is the limit, any further and it's a fall. You could use the rusted iron ring to allow for normal movement, but that's an invitation to fall to your death since you can no longer tell easily where the edge is.

Mike M

Nick N
The dead body with the knight gear is the limit, any further and it's a fall. You could use the rusted iron ring to allow for normal movement, but that's an invitation to fall to your death since you can no longer tell easily where the edge is.

I thought you could get around the hole on one side?

Surely it's possible to melee it to death...

Seriously? He was still shooting ranged attacks at me when I was there...

Once you get close enough, it should stop firing the water and just try melee. However, because it's just a predetermined pattern, there are several holes in the coverage that you can stand in with impunity and either shoot arrows at it all day or wait until it does its attack, swing a few times during the cooldown, and return to the safe spot.

Seriously? He was still shooting ranged attacks at me when I was there...

hydra melee strategy:
if you stand behind the rock that is to your right when you face the hydra, he will continuously melee attack you but not be able to hit you. once he attacks you can get a few whacks on one of his heads until it disappears. back to the rock, on to the next head. repeat for all heads (you may have to move around a bit, it seemed to me he orients his attacks based on where you are)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom