• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
so.. if anyone is around SL25 and up for helping this idiot (me) do 4k in ng+..... that would be rad :D so far i haven't even killed the first one, mostly it comes down to me doing something stupid like double-tapping pyro and getting wiped during the second combustion. doesn't help that it's a 1hk on: purple homing, purple explosion, or an unblocked swipe of any kind... only thing that doesn't 1hk is when they munch you.. i can survive with about 10hp if i'm lucky :D

why do i do these things?

Dresden

so.. if anyone is around SL25 and up for helping this idiot (me) do 4k in ng+..... that would be rad :D so far i haven't even killed the first one, mostly it comes down to me doing something stupid like double-tapping pyro and getting wiped during the second combustion. doesn't help that it's a 1hk on: purple homing, purple explosion, or an unblocked swipe of any kind... only thing that doesn't 1hk is when they munch you.. i can survive with about 10hp if i'm lucky :D

if it makes you feel better, I've heard about people carrying sl1 playthroughs to ng+6 and higher.

if it makes you feel better, I've heard about people carrying sl1 playthroughs to ng+6 and higher.

i'd believe it. unfortunately i don't have _that_ much of my life to devote to becoming a Dark Souls superfreak. So far the run has been pretty good, O&S were a bit tricky solo in ng+ but i got there in the end. 4K is promising to be quite painful. so far i've done both Burgs, Blighttown, Catacombs (and most of ToG, except I forgot to place lordvessel first), Anor Londo and the Forest (butterfly and sif) and on the whole it's been pretty easy. S&O and 4K are the ones I have trouble with the most normally so if I can get past this hump I should be set.

It's possible I'll eventually break down and level up to 50 though, since i'm so close to getting the special weapons trophy on this char that I don't really want to have to do all that work again on another.

edit: alright i've found a setup that got me nearly halfway through the fight.... Power Within + Cloaranthy Ring + Mask of Child + 2 hand L.Iato + DODGE DODGE MOTHERFUCKER DODGE. All just practice from here in I reckon.

krakov

PS3/360?

The Dark Soul
All achievements completed. Congratulations!

:D Whooo! :D

Wonderful, wonderful game. <3

DBoM4.gif

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
The Dark Soul
All achievements completed. Congratulations!
*salute*

Anyone got any good strategies against Nito? In NG I got help from phantoms, but in NG+ I can't find a single summon-sign, and every time I turn human I get invaded by someone who's lagging and backstabbing me :(
Current equipment: Ligtning Claymore +5, Greatshield of Artorias, Pyromancer glove +10 and Ornstein set with gold hemmed hood.

Anyone got any good strategies against Nito?

I hate that it's this simple (ie not much of a "strategy"), but when I popped him solo in NG+, I did it just by going kamikaze and taking the fight right to him (straight melee build); just tried to stay behind him, avoid getting hit (lol), etc. Didn't worry about the skeletons at all. Just go fuck him up.

I'm sure others have better tips, but it really was that simple after five tries or whatever it was for me.

Santiako

*salute*

Anyone got any good strategies against Nito? In NG I got help from phantoms, but in NG+ I can't find a single summon-sign, and every time I turn human I get invaded by someone who's lagging and backstabbing me :(
Current equipment: Ligtning Claymore +5, Greatshield of Artorias, Pyromancer glove +10 and Ornstein set with gold hemmed hood.

Stay where you drop, kill the 3 skeletons that come to you with a faith weapon so they don't respawn. And then when Nito comes to you, stay right next to him whacking him with your weapon, his swipes will miss you.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Does Greatsword of Artorias count as a divine weapon, or is it just magic? If it is I don't have to get out of the tombs and get back again, and deal with the skeleton beasts. I hate those skeleton beasts.

Santiako

Does Greatsword of Artorias count as a divine weapon, or is it just magic? If it is I don't have to get out of the tombs and get back again. I hate those skeleton beasts.

I'm not sure, try it. If the skeletons don't respawn, then yes. :p

Another option is to just ignore the skeletons and bash Nito to death while enduring their hits and healing when needed.

one85x

Does Greatsword of Artorias count as a divine weapon, or is it just magic? If it is I don't have to get out of the tombs and get back again, and deal with the skeleton beasts. I hate those skeleton beasts.
Check its stats. If it has a value next to the white ring at the bottom, then it counts as a divine weapon.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Well, then it is a divine weapon, but I cant wield it :( I guess my faith-level is too low, so I think I'll try the demon ruins for now :p

Sullichin

Well, then it is a divine weapon, but I cant wield it :( I guess my faith-level is too low, so I think I'll try the demon ruins for now :p

You don't need to kill those skeletons, I don't even bother picking up a divine weapon anymore. Just get all up in Nito's face and 2H the shit out of him

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why does Sorcery blow so badly compared to Pyromancy at low levels?

There's a shocking difference in outlay (souls/progression) required to get these to parity. I've been comparing Mag Adjust values and its ridiculous, you need 41 Mag to get Logan's Catalyst to marginally outperform the basic Sorceror's catalyst.

Yeesh.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to factor my builds on an x-hit basis for PVE; simply put how many strikes or casts does it take to eliminate an enemy. With magic there's also the number of available casts, and cast-times to consider, and this for me is where Sorcery really loses out to Pyromancy.

I know from experience that Pyro plateau's out a lot lower, but it bugs me to have to basically sideline the main thing I'm putting stats into for pretty much the entirety of the first cycle because its so inefficient.

maomaoIYP

*salute*

Assuming that you don't have a holy weapon, you can actually hit nito up close, rolling to avoid his strikes and skeletons. While he does that charge up explosion, you can run in a circle around the map to escape the skeletons that are hot on your tail. It's quite exciting to fight him this way actually.

Because, like you said, Pyromancy plateaus out pretty early. A pure pyro build without relying on any sort of melee or health or endurance has no chance of beating the game solo, but a pure sorcery class can. The stat investment required for a pure sorc class can be a little drastic, but right off the bat I was already one shotting many low level enemies with the starting spell.

krakov

There's a shocking difference in outlay (souls/progression) required to get these to parity. I've been comparing Mag Adjust values and its ridiculous, you need 41 Mag to get Logan's Catalyst to marginally outperform the basic Sorceror's catalyst.

Yeesh.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to factor my builds on an x-hit basis for PVE; simply put how many strikes or casts does it take to eliminate an enemy. With magic there's also the number of available casts, and cast-times to consider, and this for me is where Sorcery really loses out to Pyromancy.

I know from experience that Pyro plateau's out a lot lower, but it bugs me to have to basically sideline the main thing I'm putting stats into for pretty much the entirety of the first cycle because its so inefficient.

High level sorcery is pretty damn strong, it also has decent range and a lot of flexibility with arrow/spears, homing soulmass and enchants. I'd say it's a lot better than pyro but it also demands more investment. It's a similar situation to that of elemental weapons and scaling weapons.

Mike M

Nick N
hydra melee strategy:
if you stand behind the rock that is to your right when you face the hydra, he will continuously melee attack you but not be able to hit you. once he attacks you can get a few whacks on one of his heads until it disappears. back to the rock, on to the next head. repeat for all heads (you may have to move around a bit, it seemed to me he orients his attacks based on where you are)

Killed the bastard this morning. The only marginally tricky part was avoiding the projectiles on approach, once I got into range for him to start with the head strikes, it was pretty trivial. His attack didn't deplete much stamina on block, and I had all the time in the world between attacks to lower my shield and let the bar refill.

The last head took a little bit of finessing to find a spot where I was within his melee range and positioned where his head would strike where I could reach, but not standing in water where I couldn't get to it in time.

I love this game, such a constant sense of looming dread when exploring a new area, followed by the satisfaction of figuring it all out and knowing the dance steps to waltz through an area unharmed and untroubled.

'Course, I'm not very far into the game, that opinion may change. Heh.

Can the crest sealed door in Darkroot Gardens be opened from the other side (I presume I have access from the Hydra's lake, right?), or do I just need to suck it up and pay the 20K souls for the crest to unlock it?

Killed the bastard this morning. The only marginally tricky part was avoiding the projectiles on approach, once I got into range for him to start with the head strikes, it was pretty trivial. His attack didn't deplete much stamina on block, and I had all the time in the world between attacks to lower my shield and let the bar refill.

The last head took a little bit of finessing to find a spot where I was within his melee range and positioned where his head would strike where I could reach, but not standing in water where I couldn't get to it in time.

I love this game, such a constant sense of looming dread when exploring a new area, followed by the satisfaction of figuring it all out and knowing the dance steps to waltz through an area unharmed and untroubled.

'Course, I'm not very far into the game, that opinion may change. Heh.

Can the crest sealed door in Darkroot Gardens be opened from the other side (I presume I have access from the Hydra's lake, right?), or do I just need to suck it up and pay the 20K souls for the crest to unlock it?

this sounds a lot like my experience with that hydra. its a good think i killed him since i had to fight sif about a thousand times, and went from the darkroot bonfire.

one85x

I think you still need the crest to open the door from the other side. It's worth the 20k just so you don't have to climb that ladder every time you want to enter the forest.

Mike M

Nick N
I think you still need the crest to open the door from the other side. It's worth the 20k just so you don't have to climb that ladder every time you want to enter the forest.

That's what I thought.

Anyone know a good way to grind 12K souls in short order with relatively low risk? Heh heh.

(The irony is that I mostly want to open the door because I know about the soul farming to be had with luring the NPCs on the other side into jumping off a cliff).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
krakov said:
High level sorcery is pretty damn strong, it also has decent range and a lot of flexibility with arrow/spears, homing soulmass and enchants. I'd say it's a lot better than pyro but it also demands more investment. It's a similar situation to that of elemental weapons and scaling weapons.

The high level spells are great for sure, but it really feels like the performance gap has widened since the 1.04/1.05 patches, particularly for damage output since the pursuit spells got nerfed.

I guess its just bugging me that despite having stacked int, I still feel that Pyro is plain outclassing my Sorcery. Stick some magic buffing gear on, plus Power Within if you really want to push the boat out, and its still insanely powerful by comparison.

Particularly because until you have multiple copies of the high-tier sorcery spells you've got limited casts in comparison - even worse if you're using the Tin Crystallization Catalyst.

Sullichin

That's what I thought.

Anyone know a good way to grind 12K souls in short order with relatively low risk? Heh heh.

(The irony is that I mostly want to open the door because I know about the soul farming to be had with luring the NPCs on the other side into jumping off a cliff).

Co-op gaping dragon, 12.5k per run iirc.

Dresden

The high level spells are great for sure, but it really feels like the performance gap has widened since the 1.04/1.05 patches, particularly for damage output since the pursuit spells got nerfed.

I guess its just bugging me that despite having stacked int, I still feel that Pyro is plain outclassing my Sorcery. Stick some magic buffing gear on, plus Power Within if you really want to push the boat out, and its still insanely powerful by comparison.

Particularly because until you have multiple copies of the high-tier sorcery spells you've got limited casts in comparison - even worse if you're using the Tin Crystallization Catalyst.
Well, it's not like pyromancy can cast all day without fear; without multiple playthroughs your casts of great fireball or great combustion are extremely limited.

Sorcery definitely has a ramp-up time where, in the beginning, it feels somewhat flimsy (also soul arrow targeting blows). Later on, though, I think the power difference between the two is big enough that I don't quite see where the complaint is coming from. A crystal soul spear launched from a TCC with crown of dusk and a bellowing dragoncrest ring hurts like a motherfucker.

Sullichin

Well, it's not like pyromancy can cast all day without fear; without multiple playthroughs your casts of great fireball or great combustion are extremely limited.

Sorcery definitely has a ramp-up time where, in the beginning, it feels somewhat flimsy (also soul arrow targeting blows). Later on, though, I think the power difference between the two is big enough that I don't quite see where the complaint is coming from. A crystal soul spear launched from a TCC with crown of dusk and a bellowing dragoncrest ring hurts like a motherfucker.

The second half of the game is pretty easy if you've been focusing on sorcery. TCC+crown of dusk+bellowing dragoncrest+HCSM = Gwyn down faster than my other play throughs. Plus if you make a lightning claymore or something similar, you should be pretty unstoppable in pve. My only complaint with sorcery is that I picked up so many catalysts that were worse than the starting one or had the same stats as the starting one, was kind of weird that I had all of them in my inventory but didn't switch to logan's until my INT was high enough for it to just edge out the wooden one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dresden said:

The difference is the lower tier Pyromancies remain very viable when buffed for a long time, due to a solid cast-time/damage ratio, whereas most of the Soul Arrow spells are underpowered and/or impractical to use.

The point I'm getting at is that if you're standing out of range and chipping stuff down you're probably better advised using a bow or crossbow (maxed Avelyn with Heavy Bolts is beastly, albeit at 300 souls a shot :D).

Pyromancies inferior range is rarely a factor, because typically its use is to deal heavy damage in a short punishing burst, after which you switch to a strong melee weapon to finish the job.

Dresden

The second half of the game is pretty easy if you've been focusing on sorcery. TCC+crown of dusk+bellowing dragoncrest+HCSM = Gwyn down faster than my other play throughs. Plus if you make a lightning claymore or something similar, you should be pretty unstoppable in pve. My only complaint with sorcery is that I picked up so many catalysts that were worse than the starting one or had the same stats as the starting one, was kind of weird that I had all of them in my inventory but didn't switch to logan's until my INT was high enough for it to just edge out the wooden one.
Yeah. My first playthrough was with a sorcerer, when you could even go invincible with Greater Magic Shield if you wanted to. Magic is always the way to go in Souls for an easier time in PVE, but the elimination of mana and spices really streamlined things in Dark Souls.

As for catalysts, I do remember being bummed out when all these cool looking staves turned out to be useless. Basically it goes Oolacile at the start -> regular pre-40~ int -> Logan's/TCC with all the others just being gimmicks.
The difference is the lower tier Pyromancies remain very viable when buffed for a long time, due to a solid cast-time/damage ratio, whereas most of the Soul Arrow spells are underpowered and/or impractical to use.

The point I'm getting at is that if you're standing out of range and chipping stuff down you're probably better advised using a bow or crossbow (maxed Avelyn with Heavy Bolts is beastly, albeit at 300 souls a shot :D).

Pyromancies inferior range is rarely a factor, because typically its use is to deal heavy damage in a short punishing burst, after which you switch to a strong melee weapon to finish the job.
That's the thing - you're switching to melee to mop things up. Sorcerers, if they are so inclined, can just blast through everything in the game even from the start.

Only lower-tier pyromancy that remains viable is combustion, mainly due to how many casts you get. And it'll never get better beyond upgrading your glove.

Mike M

Nick N
I really wish I had a smaller backlog/more free time (Soon to be even less free time when the baby comes). I think I'm only going to manage a single play through, and apparently it could really benefit from multiple : /

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Nito was quite easy without the skeleton around. Luckily I was just one faith-level away from using Artorias greatsword.

Lost Izalith next I suppose.

Booshka

do you level up both stats equally or one at a time?

Equally, if you pick up some armor or weapon that you want to wear but it makes you heavier than you'd like to be, focus on Endurance until you can wear it. Then make up the Vitality, otherwise just go back and forth. If you feel comfortable with your gear then pump your Vitality a little bit more than Endurance.

Sullichin

Not yet, but I am going to. I didn't in NG and I regret it a lot
;_;

Edit: Damn this chaos servant business is some depressing stuff.

That covenant room is a great example of how crazy this game is. It's a hidden room, you're presented with an NPC who looks just like an enemy, you can't speak to the spider unless you have a certain item, which lets you find out that depressing story, even more depressing if you kill it. You need this room to get all pyros, ranking up unlocks a shortcut, and the game doesn't even inform you of this fact (iirc), and it winds up being one of the handful of bonfires you can warp to. A LOT going on in one small hidden room.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot to mention that said item is a starter item, and if you didn't select it at character creation you only have one option to get it (which you are never really informed of either).

But, yeah. The souls games is great in this regard, and I hope they make more of them.

elohel

That covenant room is a great example of how crazy this game is. It's a hidden room, you're presented with an NPC who looks just like an enemy, you can't speak to the spider unless you have a certain item, which lets you find out that depressing story, even more depressing if you kill it. You need this room to get all pyros, ranking up unlocks a shortcut, and the game doesn't even inform you of this fact (iirc), and it winds up being one of the handful of bonfires you can warp to. A LOT going on in one small hidden room.

so true

totally agree, one of the best qualities of the game

Booshka

Is there really any point to the chaos blade? I mean, is the bleed effect actually useful?

Chaos Blade is just a really strong Pure Physical Katana. If you have 10 Humanity, 40 Dexterity and the Blade at +5 it will do over 450 damage. It attacks quicker than the other katanas as well. It's not that amazing because it can't be enchanted and you lose a little health when you use it, but it is very fun to use and really good for mid-level PvP 60-100. I'm using it on a character right now and I like it a lot.

Oh, and no, the bleed is no more powerful than other katanas.

Sullichin

Debating whether to bring my SL120 dude into NG+.

Pros:
- I need great combustion. I can get it right away in NG+, quelanna's gone in my game.
- I can keep the forest open for invasion.
- I can keep Undead Burg / Parish open for invasion (this sounds enticing)

Cons:
- have to play up to dark londo / painted world.
- have to play up to Kiln... which would mean I couldn't get invaded in the forest again anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom