• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwupp

Equally, if you pick up some armor or weapon that you want to wear but it makes you heavier than you'd like to be, focus on Endurance until you can wear it. Then make up the Vitality, otherwise just go back and forth. If you feel comfortable with your gear then pump your Vitality a little bit more than Endurance.

thanks for explaining :)

Venfayth

My friend just told me about his fight with Priscilla. Fuck. I need to play this again. Priscilla's probably my favorite boss fight in any game at this moment.

krakov

hey man sorry, I'd stopped playing by the time you posted. PS3. Might be back on tonight, but maybe best if i solo it.. surely you don't wanna sit through me dying another 20 times.

I'm on 360 so I guess I'll miss out either way, best of luck though.

I want to start playing co-op & pvp finally.

How does co-op work again? Do I need to defeat the boss in that area first or not beat him to be able to join other people in their games? Does level differential matter in co-op or at all or is that for the pvp. Can I make several white summon signs through a level or does it have to be just one & I have to not leave that area?

As for the pvp which convents let you invade other peoples regardless of level difference?

Booshka

I want to start playing co-op & pvp finally.

How does co-op work again? Do I need to defeat the boss in that area first or not beat him to be able to join other people in their games? Does level differential matter in co-op or at all or is that for the pvp. Can I make several white summon signs through a level or does it have to be just one & I have to not leave that area?

As for the pvp which convents let you invade other peoples regardless of level difference?

You can help other players whether or not you have beaten the boss. Only players that are within 10% of your level (up or down) will see your summon sign and be able to summon you. Warrior of Sunlight gets a bonus to this value and it is at 20%. You can only put one sign down and if you leave designated areas it will disappear and you will have to put it down again.

Darkmoon and Forest Hunters are the two main covenants where you can invade people of all levels. Darkwraiths can only invade above their level, but that can go up to max level so you could be fighting someone at level 700 while you are level 10.

maomaoIYP

You can help other players whether or not you have beaten the boss. Only players that are within 10% of your level (up or down) will see your summon sign and be able to summon you. Warrior of Sunlight gets a bonus to this value and it is at 20%. You can only put one sign down and if you leave designated areas it will disappear and you will have to put it down again.

Darkmoon and Forest Hunters are the two main covenants where you can invade people of all levels. Darkwraiths can only invade above their level, but that can go up to max level so you could be fighting someone at level 700 while you are level 10.

I darkwraith invaded someone in the forest slightly below my level last night, after I wrecked him I felt like such a bully.

vall03

this game is seriously very addicting, Im just running around Undead Burg, practicing parry/riposte and backstabs. I fear that this will eat a lot of my time considering my backlog and my busy schedule...

Booshka

I darkwraith invaded someone in the forest slightly below my level last night, after I wrecked him I felt like such a bully.

I've heard this as well, the Red Soapstone works like this as well.

Just had an amazing moment in this game. I had my summon sign down at the bonfire in the rooms of Anor Londo just waiting for summons while I watch the Clipper game when I get summoned into a game with my friend in it. Even stranger, he wasn't the host, he was another phantom, it was pretty surprising to see him in there out of nowhere. He later told me that he got summoned into the world and the host randomly decided to go back into the bonfire room and summon another player, which turned out to be me. We went on and defeated the boss.

malfcn

Sitting on 3+ million souls at 88 deciding how I want to level up about 40 times.

Thinking about having Vit at 50, End at 40 with STR and DEX at 40 too. Then what else should I focus on?

maomaoIYP

Sitting on 3+ million souls at 88 deciding how I want to level up about 40 times.

Thinking about having Vit at 50, End at 40 with STR and DEX at 40 too. Then what else should I focus on?

At 88 you are going to be able to invade lots more people than at 120..... I have characters at both levels, and the difference is invasion rate is incredible.

malfcn

At 88 you are going to be able to invade lots more people than at 120..... I have characters at both levels, and the difference is invasion rate is incredible.

That's what I thought, and why I haven't upgraded anything. But I get wrecked too much with just Ornstein's set and a Silver Straight +5..

And what are the little colored things some people drop after they destroy someone?

Booshka

That's what I thought, and why I haven't upgraded anything. But I get wrecked too much with just Ornstein's set and a Silver Straight +5..

And what are the little colored things some people drop after they destroy someone?

You don't need to be higher level to have better weapons and gear. Just upgrade gear that will be better than Ornstein's and find a better weapon and max it out either Elemental or Normal +15. Taking Endurance to 40 is worth it, but you don't need 50 Vitality unless you are doing high level PvP. Dex stops scaling well at 40 so it's a nice place to stop, but if you aren't using A scaling Dex weapons at +15, you aren't going to reap the rewards. I only suggest leveling Strength to the bare minimum of whatever weapon you want to use, 2H especially where the requirements are reduced drastically, and you will still get very high damage. Even at 50 Strength 1H a weapon will do less damage than 2H it with 36 Strength. In short, Strength scaling is broken.

Those are Prism Stones

malfcn

I try to read some wikis and stuff, but would still like some suggestions for armor or weapons. Specifics would be nice.

Dresden

So the only weapon type that I haven't used much is curved greatswords (ala murakumo / gravelord sword), and thus I used the treasured BB glitch to move a murakumo to a new character. Really liking it so far. One thing that always turned me off greatswords and other such heavy weaponry was that they all had a very heavy heft to it, and their moveset reflected it, making them look clumsy and ungainly as a result. The murakumo's swings though, are deliberate, somewhat like the BKGA's (better) moveset . . . I can two-hand it at 19 strength, and I doubt I'll push it up to 28 anytime soon; I don't need a shield with the DWGR at my disposal.

Also getting invaded pretty often as I go through the earlier stuff
I use dried fingers at every opportunity
. Everytime I one-shot a darkwraith invader in Parish or the corridor leading up to capra, I smile.

malfcn said:
I try to read some wikis and stuff, but would still like some suggestions for armor or weapons. Specifics would be nice.
You can't go wrong with these weapons. Don't bother with buffing weapons and such when you're just starting out.

Black Knight Greataxe - great weapon. Hits hard, no split damage, just pure physical ripping things apart. Its moveset is more akin to a sword than an axe; R2s suck but the R1s are good enough that it doesn't matter. Cons: hefty requirements.

Lightning / Chaos Zweihander - you can two-hand this at 16 strength or so. Great, varied moveset. Hits like a motherfucker. Stuns hard.

Lightning / Chaos Claymore - great moveset, faster than the zwei. Stuns anything without 53 poise.

As for armor do what everyone else does and just buy/upgrade the giant's armor from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo. Wear a pinwheel mask then swing a BKGA around, you'll blend in with the crowd.

maomaoIYP

I tend to build my classes with a specific weapon in mind. I use my over-levelled 1st character for this purpose, to test the movesets of weapons so that later I can build a character based on that.

Like Dresden said, black knight greataxe is great, up close it's really easy to sneak hits in on blocking opponents due to the lag and its wide swing.

The general rule of thumb that I follow: if the move set if fast (thrusting swords, daggers etc), go for speed and hit and run tactics. If the move set is slow (greatswords, greataxes, great hammers etc), go for poise and tank opponents. At SL 88 both types of characters are perfectly doable.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So I was sitting on the first Anor Londo bonfire (the one with the Firekeeper) while browsing GAF. After about 5 minutes I noticed that I got 12 Estus Flasks instead of the usual 10. How did this happen?

So I was sitting on the first Anor Londo bonfire (the one with the Firekeeper) while browsing GAF. After about 5 minutes I noticed that I got 12 Estus Flasks instead of the usual 10. How did this happen?

when people kindle a bonfire that you're near you get a free flask.

Vyktal

Hey guys, I recently played through Dark Souls and got to NG+ last night. Absolutely loving the game to bits, but now I got a PVP itch... thing is I'm having problems understanding some of the aspects of PvP and character builds for which I'd really appreciate some advice;
(I'm currently level 98 or so with Vit ~35, Att 12, End ~38, Str 40, Dex 18, Int base, Res base, Faith 18. This is my first character)

- What are the PVP level brackets and fav PVP hotspots for each one?
- With my STR build, do you have any weapon recommendations? I know there are options like Smough's hammer and Demon Greataxe, but I'm not sure I'll have enough points to put into STR before I go into an overly high game PVP bracket
- I want to start using my Man-Serpent Sword+15 (or another standard weapon) but I don't know what weapon enchant I should give it. Do you think it's worth me upping my Faith/Int/?? so I can use one of the weapon enchants, or would those points be better spent upping my STR and focusing with a weapon that doesn't need enchanting?
- I love the look/feel of the Gravelord sword, but it feels like my stats are too far into STR and not enough into supporting stats (i.e. Int and support spells) to make it viable. Any advice for a Gravelord build?

If anyone can pass on some sage advice then it'd be really appreciated! I might consider starting a whole new character depending on what everyone shares.

Thanks!

- Vyktal

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Covenant question....can i not join a new one while im part of another? Or do i need to go see that guy at the bottom of the first bell i rang to release me from my current one first?

Im part of one now, and i went to a spot where i should be able to join a different one but there is noone there, or anything to click for me to ask to join this other one (the one at the broken statue)

mxgt

Banned
Covenant question....can i not join a new one while im part of another? Or do i need to go see that guy at the bottom of the first bell i rang to release me from my current one first?

Im part of one now, and i went to a spot where i should be able to join a different one but there is noone there, or anything to click for me to ask to join this other one (the one at the broken statue)

You can join a new one at any time, it will disband your old one automatically.

You're trying to join Warrior of Sunlight right? do you have 25 faith? (or if you've helped people kill bosses the requirement is lowered by 5 for every boss kill)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You can join a new one at any time, it will disband your old one automatically.

You're trying to join Warrior of Sunlight right? do you have 25 faith? (or if you've helped people kill bosses the requirement is lowered by 5 for every boss kill)

That's probably it right there..i dont think i do. Is it listed anywhere in the game what the stat requirements are for each Covenant or is just a lucky crapshoot when you come across a potentially joinable covenant?

Woah, did not know about the 20% thing. Glad I'm a sunbro.

That's probably it right there..i dont think i do. Is it listed anywhere in the game what the stat requirements are for each Covenant or is just a lucky crapshoot when you come across a potentially joinable covenant?

You're good to go for everything else. Only Sunbros have the stat requirement.

Frank

Hey guys, I recently played through Dark Souls and got to NG+ last night. Absolutely loving the game to bits, but now I got a PVP itch... thing is I'm having problems understanding some of the aspects of PvP and character builds for which I'd really appreciate some advice;
(I'm currently level 98 or so with Vit ~35, Att 12, End ~38, Str 40, Dex 18, Int base, Res base, Faith 18. This is my first character)

To begin with, SL98 is not that great for PvP purposes.

Coop: if you sign down, only some people will see your sign and be able to call you in their game. There's a level range for this, and it's (if the info's correct) 10 levels+10%, for the summoner. With some variations based on the Convenant. Means, a level 60 character can summon people with an SL between 52 and 68. The numbers & rules are a bit fuzzy when it comes to the exact range of summoning, though.

Invading: you can only invade 'up', that is -- people higher in level than you.

You're a bit over leveled for both coop (less people to find at that SL) and for invading (you're higher level than the majority of the players going through the game).

What are the PVP level brackets and fav PVP hotspots for each one?

I'm not understanding the 'each one' part, but the some of the PvP hotspots are:

[coop]

Undead Burg [SL 1-15] -- sign down right outside the bonfire's tower

Undead Parish [SL 10-20] -- sign down either on the stairs after Sunlight Altar, or at the church entrance that leads to Andre

Lower Undead Burg [SL 10-20] -- sign down either at the entrance in the area (there's a small safe platform there) or on the bridge in front of Capra

The Depths [SL 15-25] -- sign down either at the entrance or at the bonfire (which has high traffic pretty much always).

Blighttown [SL 25-35] -- sign down at the bonfire on the floor of Blighttown. Signing at the previous bonfire might bring you to a world where the Dartshooters are still alive, and then it depends on your equipment/provisions if you'll survive & like it.

Sen's Fortress [SL 25-40] -- sign down either at the entrance where the first 2 Snakemen are, or right in front of the Iron Golem's door.

Anor Londo [SL 25-50] -- sign down at the bottom of the first set of stairs, or at the bottom of the second set of stairs, or at the bonfire inside. First set of stairs offers usually a long experience, as you can potentially do the whole level up until O&S. Second set of stairs are usually half-and-half (half straight runs to O&S, as the big door is open; half are runs for the inside bonfire, which means going through the Archers). Bonfire inside is always active, and if you're low level it's more likely you'll be picked up by someone there.

Painted World is usually similar in SL with Anor Londo, but also a bit more open as not everybody is doing it right when they get to Anor Londo the first time -- sign down right at the bonfire.

The last third of the game (after you get the Lordvessel) are luck of the draw, but usually around and after SL50-60. Still, I've had hits even at lower level, especially for 4 Kings because there's always some future-Darkwraith trying to beat them low-level.

Duke's Archives last bonfire (the one on the balcony) also has good traffic around SL50-60.

The Forest is a... perennial hotspot, valid for all types of SL. You can let Sif alive, and stay in human form. You'll get constantly invaded by the Forest Convenant guys, and you can fight them at your leisure. Or sign down, and someone will call you -- either to help with Sif, or most the times, to farm invaders.

And, of course, The Kiln -- which actually has the broadest SL range of all hotspots. It's a good place from SL60 to 120. Less people at the end of the game though, vs the initial stages where you can find more for sure.

All in all, hotspots are up until Anor Londo, after that it gets more difficult to be called or find someone to call into your game.

[invading]
Be lower in level than the above ranges, and you should have no problem invading people in those locations. Alternatively, get the Blue Stone and you'll be able to invade pretty much all over the game, as there are more sinners than saints in Dark Souls, and there's no SL range for this.

With my STR build, do you have any weapon recommendations? I know there are options like Smough's hammer and Demon Greataxe, but I'm not sure I'll have enough points to put into STR before I go into an overly high game PVP bracket

The Zweihander is always a good option for a STR character. Murakamo as well, Claymore is good. On the katana side, I think the Washing Pole scales with STR. I'm not a big fan of axes and hammers, so I don't actually know much about them.

I want to start using my Man-Serpent Sword+15 (or another standard weapon) but I don't know what weapon enchant I should give it. Do you think it's worth me upping my Faith/Int/?? so I can use one of the weapon enchants, or would those points be better spent upping my STR and focusing with a weapon that doesn't need enchanting?

If you'll go the +15 route, then you'll need enchanting. Only with scaling you won't be topping the damage of a high elemental weapon. But if you're not aiming for a SL120-build, then there's no reason to go to +15. Elemental, and only raise STR/DEX to what you need for your weapons.

Dresden

Generally at level 30 I get good activity (almost no wait time between summons) around the second Blighttown bonfire, the fogdoor before the Sen's Fortress boss, and the second Anor Londo bonfire.

Vyktal

To begin with, SL98 is not that great for PvP purposes.
Awesome info

Thanks a lot for that! Thats cleared up a lot of my confusion. I'll have a think and then jump back in. I might just start a new character but this time focus more on coop and PvP this time around.

I must say I'm suprised how excited I am about essentially playing the exact same game all over again.

Sullichin

dark souls IS your backlog

Because of Dark Souls, I never finished RAGE, Resistance 3, Rayman Origins, never got the Deus Ex Missing Link DLC even though I was really looking forward to it, never did the side missions in Batman:AC, never got into the multiplayer of Uncharted 3. I DID go back and beat Demon's Souls, one of the few games that made it out of my backlog since I've become obsessed with this game :p I got Soul Calibur 5 on tuesday but I've still played more Dark Souls than SC5 since then. I like lots of other games, but i'd usually rather be playing this. It keeps calling me back. Over 300 hours played, 92% trophies.. the complexity and amount of content in this game blows my mind. I have still never ran with a faith based character - I have never used a single miracle. That's for another playthrough where I'll get all miracles. I've never gravelorded (and I've never had to fight black phantoms in my world, and not for a lack of trying). Plus there's a zillion permutations of PVP builds that are wildly different than the ones I've used.

i continue to crawl through this game (my ps3 is in new york, and i spend most of my time in connecticut) but that has allowed me to savor it. i had it preordered and now gathering the lord souls. i have beaten
seath
and
bed of chaos
. new londo ruins are next.

bed of chaos
and lost izalith generally was probably the least interesting and fun part of the game for me so far. the lava area burned my retinas, the area between there and the boss had one interesting encounter
pyromancer
and the only sorta cool area was optional
area through the floor with red titanite slab
. the boss itself was gimmicky and silly i thought, though the entrance is cool i guess.

Alright, so. I'm doing Stray Demon at soul level 26 as a Pyromancer. First attempt I just end up being oneshot by his axe. Second attempt I manage to glitch out his AI to the point where he just spams the frontal nuke and his flight. I get him down to 1% hp after using up both of my remaining gold pine resin.

Then I get distracted irl, for some reason thinking yellow HP bar = missing health and he just has a sliver left. So I just spaz out, get him at the wrong range and he does the frontal nuke and fucking hits me. Now I'm dead, have no gold pine resin left and just uuuuurgh. Oh well, at least I know I can beat him.

Booshka

Because of Dark Souls, I never finished RAGE, Resistance 3, Rayman Origins, never got the Deus Ex Missing Link DLC even though I was really looking forward to it, never did the side missions in Batman:AC, never got into the multiplayer of Uncharted 3. I DID go back and beat Demon's Souls, one of the few games that made it out of my backlog since I've become obsessed with this game :p I got Soul Calibur 5 on tuesday but I've still played more Dark Souls than SC5 since then. I like lots of other games, but i'd usually rather be playing this. It keeps calling me back. Over 300 hours played, 92% trophies.. the complexity and amount of content in this game blows my mind. I have still never ran with a faith based character - I have never used a single miracle. That's for another playthrough where I'll get all miracles. I've never gravelorded (and I've never had to fight black phantoms in my world, and not for a lack of trying). Plus there's a zillion permutations of PVP builds that are wildly different than the ones I've used.

Exactly, just yesterday I killed my first Spirit of Vengeance as a Gravelord and got an Eye of Death. Whenever I think I am bored of this game, I just start a new character and get sucked back in.

Vyktal said:

- What are the PVP level brackets and fav PVP hotspots for each one?
- With my STR build, do you have any weapon recommendations? I know there are options like Smough's hammer and Demon Greataxe, but I'm not sure I'll have enough points to put into STR before I go into an overly high game PVP bracket
- I want to start using my Man-Serpent Sword+15 (or another standard weapon) but I don't know what weapon enchant I should give it. Do you think it's worth me upping my Faith/Int/?? so I can use one of the weapon enchants, or would those points be better spent upping my STR and focusing with a weapon that doesn't need enchanting?
- I love the look/feel of the Gravelord sword, but it feels like my stats are too far into STR and not enough into supporting stats (i.e. Int and support spells) to make it viable. Any advice for a Gravelord build?

If anyone can pass on some sage advice then it'd be really appreciated! I might consider starting a whole new character depending on what everyone shares.

Thanks!
Take your Endurance to 40, you will get the last bit of stamina you can out of it at that level. You can easily just use Black Knight Great Axe on that Character and then put 15 points into Vitality for 50, then 5 points into Attunement for 5 slots. That would have you at 120, and that would be a pretty good PvP build. Or, you can take your Faith to 30 so you can use Weapon Enchantments and Wrath of Gods, then you could take your Attunement to 14 or 16, then put the rest of the points into Vitality. If you are going to use weapon buffs, I suggest the Demon Great Machete (1Handed or 2Handed), Large Club (1H or 2H), Great Club(1H or 2H) and Demon's Great Axe (2H only). Man Serpent Greatsword, Claymore and Zweihander are good as well but they don't have as high damage as those large weapons I mentioned. Of course take whichever one's you choose to +14, then your favorite to +15.

These are the two feasible options I see for that build, whichever you choose, put 2 points into Endurance. You could also just stay at level 100 and invade up from there, with the BK GA you will still dominate and you'll get to invade more people.

I am making good progress. Couple of hours ago I was struggling with combat and now I defeated Gargoyle with relative ease. It sort of helps that I know some places I am going to go as I have been watching my brother who plays the game too.

Really digging the game, finally a game which isn't pussied out to the max. Reminds me of the games of my golden age of gaming. I have only played 5 hours and I have already gotten more feelings of satisfaction than I have got in last couple of years combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom