• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoo, made it all the way to Ornstein & Smough at SL30. Stray Demon died after I spammed him with all of my firebombs. Blighttown/Quelaag was easy peasy after grabbing the ring from the Asylum. Have the Furysword now as well.

Need some Sunbro to tank O&S while I dish out the Chaosballs. I'll probably afford upgrading my Pyro Flame to full after Anor Londo. Then I'll farm humanity by helping Lowbies kill Capra, Gargs etc.

Sullichin

It's possible to reach Anor Londo without closing Parish to invaders?

Undead Burg yes, not the Parish though, you have to Ring Both bells then clear Sen's to get to Anor Londo, but you don't have to kill any other bosses.

Yeah I meant just the Burg, wasn't really thinking. I can stick around in the Parish for a bit though and get invaded a few times :D

Rushing the one on the right and kicking him off the edge worked pretty well for me.

Yeah, this is my preferred strategy. Archers ain't no thing. Run up and to the one on the right, you should have to roll through exactly one arrow before you're all up in his face and he'll switch to attacking with sword. From there it's just stamina management, block until he falls off or you can get a kick in.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kamorra said:
How do I get past the two archers in Anor Londo?

Don't be a masochist, get yourself a Ring of Fog.

2 methods: Either win 3 PVP summons as part of the Hunter Covenant in Darkroot Garden, or score yourself a skull lantern from the Necromancers in the tomb (or failing that collecting the guaranteed one inside Tomb Of The Giants), then trade it to Snuggly.

malfcn

Fully upgraded the Giant set. Not sure if I like it. The tanking ability is nice, but would like to be faster. Darkwraith or Elite Knight for a lighter set?

Booshka

Fully upgraded the Giant set. Not sure if I like it. The tanking ability is nice, but would like to be faster. Darkwraith or Elite Knight for a lighter set?

Take off the Helm, put on a Pinwheel mask, put on the Ring of Favor and Protection and Dark Wood Grain Ring. Now you're on your way to being a Pro Dark Souls Invader

/sarcasm

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
On my first character I prioritized practicality over everything else. Then I realized pretty quickly that it would be more fun to prioritize looks over practicality and try and figure out how to make it work, since there's such little variety when you just want the best of the best.

Booshka

Egg infection cure item + Snuggly the Crow trading exploit?

EDIT: or was that patched out?

Yep it was patched out, but there is an even crazier glitch where you can dupe tons of items, it takes a lot more effort, but a lot of ppl are doing it lately. I keep getting invaded by ppl that use Divine Blessings like they are Green moss, really cheap.

Mike M

Nick N
Yep it was patched out, but there is an even crazier glitch where you can dupe tons of items, it takes a lot more effort, but a lot of ppl are doing it lately. I keep getting invaded by ppl that use Divine Blessings like they are Green moss, really cheap.
Great, now I'm torn between my desire to enjoy the game legitimately and my hatred of farming drops.

Is this the Bottomless Box glitch, or something else? The BB trick seems horribly impractical for duping items, but handy for doing a pseudo-NG+ with a brand new build.

weird night tonight.. one invader was running up and down the helical staircase in anor londo throwing aural decoys at us - that was kind of fun. another started throwing dung pies at me for totally no reason. i threw lightning spears back and he fell off a bridge.

later, super-ornstein butt-pounded me into the steps and I got stuck torso deep in there, futilely swinging a great axe and watching him stomp the host up the other end of the room.

This is a long shot... Anyone available for some co-op with a SL30 doing Demon Ruins? :V
Could push through it myself but god damn stuff is hard.

Eaten by a worm :'(

Edit: Once I've opened the Izalith shortcut, does it close again if I leave the covenant or am I free to do so?

vvv-Ah, so once I've killed the chaos bugs and reached the platform I no longer need the covenant shortcut, gotcha.

Edit 2: Nevermind, ploughed through Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon. Too bad I lost Sunbro and my humanity :(

Sullichin

This is a long shot... Anyone available for some co-op with a SL30 doing Demon Ruins? :V
Could push through it myself but god damn stuff is hard.

Eaten by a worm :'(

Edit: Once I've opened the Izalith shortcut, does it close again if I leave the covenant or am I free to do so?

The platform leading to izalith from the chaos daughter bonfire will stay open, but to use the shortcut near the firesage demon past most of izalith, you need to be in the covenant. The shortcut isn't that useful really.

krakov

The platform leading to izalith from the chaos daughter bonfire will stay open, but to use the shortcut near the firesage demon past most of izalith, you need to be in the covenant. The shortcut isn't that useful really.

It's useful if you want to farm Demon Titanite, otherwise you might as well use the regular route.

one85x

The Lost Izalith shortcut will stay open if you leave the covenant. The shortcut isn't actually exclusive to the Chaos covenant as it can be opened from the other side.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

The shortcut isn't that useful? Poor, poor
Solaire

Take the shortcut every game, no exceptions. To do any less would be unconscionable.

The shortcut isn't that useful? Poor, poor
Solaire

Take the shortcut every game, no exceptions. To do any less would be unconscionable.

But I really want to go Level 30 Sunbro on my NG+ to support lowbies en masse :(

For Sunbroism to live, Solaire must die!

Take off the Helm, put on a Pinwheel mask, put on the Ring of Favor and Protection and Dark Wood Grain Ring. Now you're on your way to being a Pro Dark Souls Invader

/sarcasm

That's....exactly the setup I use for pvp. Great, now I feel like a piece of shit. Time to go back to NPC invasion and doing Trident dance while wearing nothing but a sack on my head

Mognet

That's....exactly the setup I use for pvp. Great, now I feel like a piece of shit. Time to go back to NPC invasion and doing Trident dance while wearing nothing but a sack on my head

I love that dance... It's too bad I deleted the only character I had a Trident with so I could make room for a character I didn't spend more than 30 mins playing. d:

I find more fun out of equipping a Bonewheel Shield on each hand while invading. It looks pretty ridiculous.

Man, Bed of Chaos is some serious fucking bullshit. Keep getting knocked down into holes while trying to run to the second orb even with Havel's + Wolf Ring. I mean, 161 Poise is not enough as to not get knocked down? Really?

Dresden

Man, Bed of Chaos is some serious fucking bullshit. Keep getting knocked down into holes while trying to run to the second orb even with Havel's + Wolf Ring. I mean, 161 Poise is not enough as to not get knocked down? Really?

Just stick to the inside 'ring' of the chamber.

i agree bed of chaos is mostly bullshit. i had more trouble with the final step
landing on the root without getting swiped into a hole
rather than getting to the second orb.

Yeah Bed of Chaos sucks and everyone hates it. Just watch a vid on how to do it and don't look back.

the one cool thing is replaying it after dying, there is usually a trail of fire behind you as you slide into the arena, which is potentially pretty badass. it annoyed me that even once you are "inside" the fire can still get you while you are fighting through tangles of roots. i have killed 3 of the 4 lords so far (nito is left), and lost izalith is the worst area ive seen in the game.

I need help in the Crystal Cave. That boss, who was not hard at all, managed to trap me somehow and got me cursed. ...And this is a serious pain in the ass. How do I get uncursed? I don't think I have any items that can cure this, and I really...really don't want to go back...ugh...is that the only choice?

mxgt

Banned
I need help in the Crystal Cave. That boss, who was not hard at all, managed to trap me somehow and got me cursed. ...And this is a serious pain in the ass. How do I get uncursed? I don't think I have any items that can cure this, and I really...really don't want to go back...ugh...is that the only choice?
Those clam monsters right by Seath drop purging stones. High drop rate as well.

But they're a bitch to fight.
Among the most annyoing enemies, since they have a super long reach & can't be stunned or staggered.

they can be staggered, i rely on it to kill them quickly. just rotate around them blocking, wait for them to miss an attack, then a heavy swing (tried with a fury sword+5 & large club+14, both worked) should stagger them. not sure if it's to do with how much damage you do, or the fact that both those weapon's heavy swings hit them in the legs. but it's definitely doable.

what's more annoying i find is the order in which they wake up to you, but once you work that out it's easy enough to pull them up near the entrance one by one.

So, my Drake Sword+2 has lasted me a long, long time, but I sense that it just isn't that powerful anymore. As noted earlier, I am in the crystal cave and afterwards heading to the Demon Ruins. Are there any superior weapons to obtain at this point, or to craft?

So, my Drake Sword+2 has lasted me a long, long time, but I sense that it just isn't that powerful anymore. As noted earlier, I am in the crystal cave and afterwards heading to the Demon Ruins. Are there any superior weapons to obtain at this point, or to craft?

it depends somewhat on your stats, but it is almost definitely the case that you could craft a better weapon by now.

woah, heaps man, heaps. definitely craft some elemental weapons, whatever weapon will depend on your build. Lightning Zwei's (for str build) and Iato's (for dex) are pretty common and hit hard. Iato will be a little less powerful than a lightning uchi but has better moves imo.

Fire is good too, Chaos is better if you travel with a lot of active humanities. A fire weapon at +5 (strongest you can go without getting the large ember) will generally outclass the drake sword. I'm carrying a fire greataxe+5 on my recent char and it hits for ~260 physical + ~260 fire, currently camped in anor londo doing co-op and it tears strips off O&S.

Then there's boss soul weapons, what will be useful here depends on your stats so have a good look before you craft anything from a boss soul.

Don't discount regular weapons with buffs either, I beat the crystal caverns boss (on a different char) in about 7 hits with 40 str, a +14 large club and the power within pyromancy (which I believe doesn't scale with the pyro glove so you don't even have to invest much in that)

The lightning spear you pick up at Sen's Fortress should be the default next weapon that first timers go to after Drake Sword and it should be enough to go through your first play through with some upgrades, and if you happen to pick up any Dark Knight weapons, those are easily some of the the best weapons in the game as well.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I can recommend a Lightning Claymore, but it takes a lot of titanite to upgrade it. Lightning weapons in general is a very good choice, so the lightning spear you find in Sen's fortress is a good start.

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I had one more (very stupid, I'm sure) question...some weapons I can't use. It says "Unable to wield this weapon effectively with present stats." Is there a specific category when leveling up that needs to be emphasized? I usually concentrate on boosting HP, Endurance, and Defense up.

Dresden

I don't know why, but I'm pondering the viability of a pacifist run. Basically kill only the bosses and the 'essential' mobs that might hold keys and stuff.

When I think about it, it's not all that far fetched, just Force everything and run to bonfires to reset mobs or to the fog door. Blow up the bosses with miracles. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I had one more (very stupid, I'm sure) question...some weapons I can't use. It says "Unable to wield this weapon effectively with present stats." Is there a specific category when leveling up that needs to be emphasized? I usually concentrate on boosting HP, Endurance, and Defense up.

weapons generally have strength and dexterity requirements and sometimes intelligence or faith. these are the required parameters mentioned on the right half of the weapon information screen. basically, i think you want to emphasize either strength or dexterity and level the other to the point that you can wield whatever weapon you choose to focus on. if you dont meet requirements your attack animation will suck and you wont be able to do much damage.

what do you mean by defense up?

edit: worth noting is that those same stats will potentially offer stat scaling attack bonuses as well. so if you are using a strength weapon with A strength bonus, you will gain a lot of attack per level you put into strength. this is on the left side of the weapon screen and ranges from E-D-C-B-A-S, in increasing order of goodness.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LordPhoque said:
Which shield can be upgraded to +10 so I can craft the Greatshield of Artorias ?

Pretty much any common shield will do, size isn't an issue.

Use something crappy like a cracked round shield.

what about the shield that can be made from moonlight butterfly soul? and is that the best use of that soul? im not an int build at all. im dex mostly.

Problem is it always become a different shield at +5

EDIT : I tried with the cracked round shield, I can't upgrade it past +5. I just won't appear in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom