• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LordPhoque said:
Problem is it always become a different shield at +5

Get Andre to ascend it to +6 on the normal upgrade path, then push it up to +10 and do the Boss Soul mod at Giant Blacksmith.

arglebargle said:
what about the shield that can be made from moonlight butterfly soul? and is that the best use of that soul? im not an int build at all. im dex mostly.

CRS got severely nerfed post 1.04, it used to be extremely powerful now its just... decent.
Easy enough to make (*exact* same process as mentioned above, just using butterfly soul) but there are better choices for mid-range DD.

The thing is its not really a shield, its a ranged weapon where the limitations on use are the durability stat that gets a chunk taken off it every time you use it. (It is repairable though).

Sullichin

Problem is it always become a different shield at +5

EDIT : I tried with the cracked round shield, I can't upgrade it past +5. I just won't appear in the list.

You need the large ember to bring it to +10, it will show up under modify equipment. At the parish blacksmith. Then once it's at 10 you can make the boss shield at AL giant blacksmith.

CRS got severely nerfed post 1.04, it used to be extremely powerful now its just... decent.
Easy enough to make (*exact* same process as mentioned above, just using butterfly soul) but there are better choices for mid-range DD.

The thing is its not really a shield, its a ranged weapon where the limitations on use are the durability stat that gets a chunk taken off it every time you use it. (It is repairable though).

i just figured it would be a cool thing to have. are the only boss soul weapons that are worth having for a dex character quelaags sword and the lifehunt scythe?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
arglebargle said:
i just figured it would be a cool thing to have. are the only boss soul weapons that are worth having for a dex character quelaags sword and the lifehunt scythe?

Its definitely worth making, its just a bit disappointing considering how powerful it used to be. Casually 1-shotting Capra demons on the way to Firesage with it was a laugh, and it was super useful in Tomb Of The Giants.

I've got to be honest and say that I've never really played much with the various boss soul weapons, I made them all for the trophy but pretty much stuck with Lightning and Chaos Winged Spears throughout because I liked them so much.

As a dex user I focussed on maxing my bows, and getting Iaito to +15. But then again I was primarily aiming for optimum PVE performance and pretty much full-timed Ring Of Fog/Slumbering Dragoncrest so I could get the drop on enemies 9 times out of 10.

Sullichin

So, wound up bringing my pvp dude to ng+ cause I missed great combustion, and keeping the burg open for invasions is awesome. For the most part I'm having really good 1-1 PVP. And usually if I summon someone via red soap stone and someone else invades, the invader waits for the fight to conclude before attacking.. this is quite different than the etiquette in the forest or dark londo, and about half of players in painted world/kiln will play kindly. I only had one dude so far in the burg backstab me while I was bowing, and it was quite satisfying when I beat him anyway. I'm doing well with my setup, not sure if I should bother going to SL120 (I'm at 118 now) if I'm a darkwraith - fearing it might lower my invasion chances. I usually wait to get invaded in my world though, don't have to worry about the host being cheap with estus or having phantoms camping me.

One invader gave me some good stuff, but I had both items already. Anyone around SL118 on PS3 that would like a giant's armor chestpiece +5 and/or a black knight greataxe +5?

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Damn these ghosts. I thought I killed them all, but of course there was two I missed that hid in the floor that appeared just when my transient curse went out. Lost nearly a level worth of souls too :(

f0rk

I forgot I had this game and put it back in today. Had another try at the Tarus boss dude. I was doing OK I thought until I fell off, but he decided to jump after so VICTORY ACHIEVED. I've seen this stuff in a Giant Bomb video and I remembered what I read about the dragon and sword but couldn't work out how to aim so I ran out of arrows.
This is a stupid comment now I guess, but the combat in this game is really tight. Hope I find some time to play some more.

Antagon

I forgot I had this game and put it back in today. Had another try at the Tarus boss dude. I was doing OK I thought until I fell off, but he decided to jump after so VICTORY ACHIEVED. I've seen this stuff in a Giant Bomb video and I remembered what I read about the dragon and sword but couldn't work out how to aim so I ran out of arrows.
This is a stupid comment now I guess, but the combat in this game is really tight. Hope I find some time to play some more.

Use L1 to aim if you're on the PS3.

schwupp

just to check if i´m on the right way:
i´ve skipped the black knight - killed the first boss - avoided the dragon by going under the bridge - skipped the second black knight - entered undead parish - killed the rhino - went through the fog - and now got killed by some knight.
i haven found any new armor or weapons.

did i miss anything essential?

Beaulieu

i´ve skipped the black knight - killed the first boss - avoided the dragon by going under the bridge - skipped the second black knight - entered undead parish - killed the rhino - went through the fog - and now got killed by some knight.

you can easily come back anywhere later on... dont worry about missing stuff.

seems like you are going the right way. this is right about the time i stopped using my starter weapon
after finding the halberd in the parish

Mognet

Not really, I think off the top of my head all you missed was some souls and a Claymore on top of the bridge below the dragon.

Also, under where the Dragon sits is a bonfire so if you lure it down onto the bridge you should be able to sprint past him and into the bonfire room making it less of a hassle going through the rats and all.

If you delete a character profile that earned a trophy, do you lose the trophy? I'm trying to figure something out.....

No you don't.

Guys, the problem isn't beating Bed of Chaos. I've done that before. The problem is beating Bed of Chaos while being oneshot at SL30. Iron Flesh didn't help much either :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TyrantGuardian said:
Guys, the problem isn't beating Bed of Chaos. I've done that before. The problem is beating Bed of Chaos while being oneshot at SL30. Iron Flesh didn't help much either :(

What's getting you killed?

You should be able to block/roll-through his physical strikes, and if the fire aoe is getting you load up on fire protect gear plus Flash Sweat.

Antagon

You can get a good weapon by ahooting the tail of the dragon on the bridge. The black knights also can drop good weapons.

Also, there's a salesman that sells bows among other stuff in the burg near the bonfire. Room beneath the two undead with spears.

I hadn't died in so long time and then I enter Blighttown and got owned by some scrubs. Oh well, time to grind those anti-poison things.

Antagon

I hadn't died in so long time and then I enter Blighttown and got owned by some scrubs. Oh well, time to grind those anti-poison things.

Got the bandit gear? The spider shield is great against poison. There's also an armor set with tons of poison resistance in upper blighttown.

Got the bandit gear? The spider shield is great against poison. There's also an armor set with tons of poison resistance in upper blighttown.

is there any consensus around the best gear for each build type? i had some path dependence in that i started upgrading the shadow set and now use it most of the time, but it seems like the gold hemmed set and a few others probably would have been better.

Booshka

is there any consensus around the best gear for each build type? i had some path dependence in that i started upgrading the shadow set and now use it most of the time, but it seems like the gold hemmed set and a few others probably would have been better.

It's best to mix and match, I think for Light Armor the Wanderer Coat, Dingy Robe and Sage Robe all max upgraded are the best available. Then from there you can mix and match gauntlets leggings and helm to get the best defense ratio, I like to have at least 56 poise so I use Havel's Leggings and Gauntlets, or Giant's Helm, Leggings and Gauntlets. You get a really good defense rating, decent poise and medium weight with that gear setup. If you are going all light armor though, you can just mix and match skirts and gauntlets then wear whatever headpiece you want to buff magic, or whatever looks cool.

Booshka

When playing online, I get these gold soul specs that flow into me like I just used a soul. What is that?

The first thing that comes to mind is a free Estus Flask from another player kindling a bonfire in the area you are in. Next time you see that, check to see if you get another Estus Flask, it might be that.

regular or NG+? should be fairly straightforward. just dodge for the sides then when it comes to the middle you can block the swipes as long as you angle yourself towards side he's coming from. if you're finding he's getting through your shield you could always try 2-handing something with more stability. On my SL25 guy I use the eagle shield 2-handed if I need serious blocking, and have a pyro glove equipped in the left for attacking.

malfcn

Just wasted 6 levels on trying to figure out how to attune and cast a spell. Game is cryptic and I am not familiar with this kind of shit. Still have over 2mill in the back for souls though..

maomaoIYP

I finally tried the BB glitch....had plenty of fun making a new PvP character, until I realised that I didn't transfer the red orb stone or blue orb stone.....and the game recognizes that you already had the items, so they don't issue you another, thus locking me out of PvP forever. FML.

Booshka

I finally tried the BB glitch....had plenty of fun making a new PvP character, until I realised that I didn't transfer the red orb stone or blue orb stone.....and the game recognizes that you already had the items, so they don't issue you another, thus locking me out of PvP forever. FML.

Go buy a bunch of Cracked Red Eye Orbs.

Teknoman

Think im going to go with pyromancy instead of miracles for now. Faith spells dont seem all that useful, and im not seeing a benefit to heal since I use flasks sparingly. Dunno if I should hang onto my black knight sword (pretty good so far) or start messing with my new man-serpent sword.

one85x

Have you reset your rank to +0?

Think im going to go with pyromancy instead of miracles for now. Faith spells dont seem all that useful, and im not seeing a benefit to heal since I use flasks sparingly. Dunno if I should hang onto my black knight sword (pretty good so far) or start messing with my new man-serpent sword.

pyro is good for everyone since it doesn't rely on any stats. grab a chunk of souls from co-op or however you prefer and beef that glove up immediately, takes about 340,000 to go from 0 to +5 ascended. also go through the chaos covenant stuff and grab all the pyro spells (and all the ones from the blighttown vendor of course). have fun setting shit on fire :D

i'm playing a faith build at the moment, heal is handy for co-op and i use lightning spear a bit but mainly just hanging out for sunlight blade.

what things would you tell new players and what things would u not tell them?

go up the stairs to the right, don't be precious about your souls. /that's it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It has the highest defense when fully upgraded, offers good poise and doesn't weigh as much as Havel's.
Bunch of posers. I was rocking Giant armor while everyone was still rocking Havel's or Stone. I hate how I'm forced to use a pinwheel mask and giant armor in pvp or else I'm woefully overmatched.

I'd love to use stuff like Paladin, Golem, Tarkus, Steel, etc... but they have shitty lighting def and well I don't have to finish my sentence cause you know where I'm going.

Soulhouf

what is with the giants armor and everyone wearing it?

Like said, it offers the best defense and good poise.
My problem with this set is that it's over used and that's the patch's fault because you need Twinklings titanites to upgrade it and those were rare gems before the patch. Player had to make tough decisions on which item to upgrade and that was interesting. Now everybody wear a fully upgraded giant set and BK Great Axe because it's easy to get them and upgrade them without much effort which makes other sets like Havel, Smough or Stone for example useless.
Making the giant blacksmith sell twincling titanites was a mistake IMO.

maomaoIYP

Like said, it offers the best defense and good poise.
My problem with this set is that it's over used and that's the patch's fault because you need Twinklings titanites to upgrade it and those were rare gems before the patch. Player had to make tough decisions on which item to upgrade and that was interesting. Now everybody wear a fully upgraded giant set and BK Great Axe because it's easy to get them and upgrade them without much effort which makes other sets like Havel, Smough or Stone for example useless.
Making the giant blacksmith sell twincling titanites was a mistake IMO.

If the giant blacksmith didn't sell that then everyone would be Havel's, Pinwheel mask, and DWGR. Having the blacksmith sell it simply puts a little more longevity into the PvP and coop. No one wants to grind 5 hrs for a single piece of twinkling, not especially with multiple characters.

Soulhouf

If the giant blacksmith didn't sell that then everyone would be Havel's, Pinwheel mask, and DWGR. Having the blacksmith sell it simply puts a little more longevity into the PvP and coop. No one wants to grind 5 hrs for a single piece of twinkling, not especially with multiple characters.

I don't think so. I was there from the launch day (I bet the game twice before the patch) and there was much more variety on what players were using during PvP (except for DWGR and Pinwheel masks).
Nowadays there are only few people who are crazy (and good) enough to use low sets in PvP.

Tsukumo

But they're a bitch to fight.
Among the most annyoing enemies, since they have a super long reach & can't be stunned or staggered.

Strike type weapons usually stagger them.
I've an occult club +5 that doesn't, but a mace +10 and divine morning star +10 that always get a stun (much like with every other enemy). It may be dependent on strength level (I have a 36 STR pyro) but I'm quite positive it's the type of attack that matters.

maomaoIYP

I don't think so. I was there from the launch day (I bet the game twice before the patch) and there was much more variety on what players were using during PvP (except for DWGR and Pinwheel masks).
Nowadays there are only few people who are crazy (and good) enough to use low sets in PvP.

There were a lot more people who were just trying on the PvP. Now the only people left are the hardcore ones. Besides, back then no one really knew how poise worked. The problem isn't with twinkling being available for sale, the problem lies with a combination of poor netcode (hence the need for poise) and the fact that not much else stands up to Giant's and Havel's. Also, most melee based PvP characters would have 40 END, and at that level, there really is no reason not to take the armor. I tend to feel that a lot of problem actually lies with DWGR and possibly the backstab mechanic, but there really is absolutely no advantage to not wear the ring and go above 50% encumbrance.

Soulhouf

There were a lot more people who were just trying on the PvP. Now the only people left are the hardcore ones. Besides, back then no one really knew how poise worked. The problem isn't with twinkling being available for sale, the problem lies with a combination of poor netcode (hence the need for poise) and the fact that not much else stands up to Giant's and Havel's. Also, most melee based PvP characters would have 40 END, and at that level, there really is no reason not to take the armor. I tend to feel that a lot of problem actually lies with DWGR and possibly the backstab mechanic, but there really is absolutely no advantage to not wear the ring and go above 50% encumbrance.

To be fair, yes you have a point. But still, making twinkling available for purchase is game breaking. Now it's easier to upgrade the best set in the game than others that use the normal titanite. The original design made the twinkling titanite precious gems to upgrade unique weapons/armor. Now it's a common thing.
DWGR doesn't bother me. It's the combination with heavy armors like the giant one that makes it ridiculous.
I wish in a next patch they will add some restrictions like forbidding its use with heavy armors or above 25% equip load. That will make it fine because only Ninja type sets. You will have to choose between mobility and protection/poise which makes sense.

Currently I have 2 sets I always use:
- when I'm the host/phantom => Witch set without the hat (I like showing my face).
- Kirk set for invasions. I like how badass it looks and the ability to damage opponents while rolling.

My ass is being kicked by Giant+pinwheel masks+DWGR users but I win sometimes and it's so much fun.

sleepykyo

To be fair, yes you have a point. But still, making twinkling available for purchase is game breaking. Now it's easier to upgrade the best set in the game than others that use the normal titanite. The original design made the twinkling titanite precious gems to upgrade unique weapons/armor. Now it's a common thing.
DWGR doesn't bother me. It's the combination with heavy armors like the giant one that makes it ridiculous.
I wish in a next patch they will add some restrictions like forbidding its use with heavy armors or above 25% equip load. That will make it fine because only Ninja type sets will use it which make sense.

Currently I have 2 sets I always use:
- when I'm the host/phantom => Witch set without the hat (I like showing my face).
- Kirk set for invasions. I like how badass it looks and the ability to damage opponents while rolling.

My ass is being kicked by Giant+pinwheel masks+DWGR users but I win sometimes and it's so much fun.

The twinkling being made purchasable just made it easier to upgrade the giant. Anyone still playing the game would have come to the same conclusion that the giant armor and gotten the twinkling via the trade glitch or farming clams. Under the old system the giant armor still would have been the best armor anyway. The issue isn't whether the best armor is a grind to upgrade.

The issue is how there is no benefit to being a conventional lightweight or a conventional heavyweight. If they just took out the stun locks, backstabs and DWGR (make the ninja flip a default ability of lightweights), it would have been a huge improvement. Also 120 is too high. The characters have maxed out endurance, the ability to wield heavy weapons and cast high level spells. Seems like too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom