• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

To be fair, yes you have a point. But still, making twinkling available for purchase is game breaking. Now it's easier to upgrade the best set in the game than others that use the normal titanite. The original design made the twinkling titanite precious gems to upgrade unique weapons/armor. Now it's a common thing.
DWGR doesn't bother me. It's the combination with heavy armors like the giant one that makes it ridiculous.
I wish in a next patch they will add some restrictions like forbidding its use with heavy armors or above 25% equip load. That will make it fine because only Ninja type sets. You will have to choose between mobility and protection/poise which makes sense.

Currently I have 2 sets I always use:
- when I'm the host/phantom => Witch set without the hat (I like showing my face).
- Kirk set for invasions. I like how badass it looks and the ability to damage opponents while rolling.

My ass is being kicked by Giant+pinwheel masks+DWGR users but I win sometimes and it's so much fun.

Yeah the upgrade system in general could use some tweaking. As it is now, it's way easier to upgrade a unique weapon to +5 with twinkling than it is to take a normal weapon to +15. And to upgrade my elite knight gloves all the way I need a slab? Lol no thanks I'll just use superior armor that uses twinkling and use one material to upgrade it all the way. An NPC that explained weapon upgrading would be pretty freaking useful to new players. Every once in a while you'll hear about someone really far in the game still using the drake sword, you can't really blame them because almost every weapon you pick up will have a lower AR than it, and the game never really explains upgrading weapons, scaling stats, etc. Or someone will make a Raw Iaito, not knowing it makes it scale better with strength. I know part of the appeal of the game is its mystery but there's no reason for the upgrade system to be so convoluted AND not explained. Also some of the weapon upgrade paths are pretty useless.

I'd be up for DWGR only working with 25% equip weight. That would certainly switch up PVP. I refuse to use a pinwheel mask but can't really justify not using DWGR. It'd be nice if everyone wasn't flipping around.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
At least teach them how the systems work. Someone telling me how the upgrade system worked would have saved me a lot of trouble.
Things just started to click for me after I realized I should be spending my souls on upgrading my weapons/armor instead of leveling up. Once you get to the blacksmith, at the minimum upgrade your weapon to +5 before you level up again. I basically was able to double my damage output by going from no upgrades to +5.

Guys, right now I'm on Anor Londo. How much do I still have left? I'd like to finish this game before Mass Effect 3.

Anor's pretty much the halfway point, but the back half tends to go faster than the first for obvious reasons. So, I'll conjecture you have 40-45% remaining. :)

Frank

Every once in a while you'll hear about someone really far in the game still using the drake sword, you can't really blame them because almost every weapon you pick up will have a lower AR than it, and the game never really explains upgrading weapons, scaling stats, etc.

I never blame the game when I hear something like that. Theoretically, there's always a brain behind the pairs of eyes and hands playing the game. Its job is to take the data the hands and eyes are feeding it, and generate (among a host of other things) questions based on that. Like, what the hell are those Ds and Es and As under ParamBonus, when I look at the details of a weapon? What's with the icons from AuxEffects, what do they mean? Everybody seems to deal higher damage as I advance, but I've been using the same weapon, doing pretty much the same damage, all these 40 hours I've been playing! Hm, would it be possible to use something else? But the game is not saying anything! Hm, maybe I can google these things...

And so on, and so forth. An obtuse thing doesn't discourage curiosity, but pushes us to ask the questions elsewhere. We've come to expect the correct way of playing games is by being absent - sprawled on the sofa, nectar being poured into our mouths, just a modicum of attention on the game itself because... man, this nectar thing is aweeesome!

What I truly love about this game is that it pushes me to use my own personal skills to survive. That it rewards amazingly the curious and brave types. That it's a framework (the way the story is told, the progression and the amount of optional stuff) you can fit around your own shape. The quality and the way your experience unravels is really decided by your choices - when fighting, when exploring the world etc.

Sullichin

I never blame the game when I hear something like that. Theoretically, there's always a brain behind the pairs of eyes and hands playing the game. Its job is to take the data the hands and eyes are feeding it, and generate (among a host of other things) questions based on that. Like, what the hell are those Ds and Es and As under ParamBonus, when I look at the details of a weapon? What's with the icons from AuxEffects, what do they mean? Everybody seems to deal higher damage as I advance, but I've been using the same weapon, doing pretty much the same damage, all these 40 hours I've been playing! Hm, would it be possible to use something else? But the game is not saying anything! Hm, maybe I can google these things...

And so on, and so forth. An obtuse thing doesn't discourage curiosity, but pushes us to ask the questions elsewhere. We've come to expect the correct way of playing games is by being absent - sprawled on the sofa, nectar being poured into our mouths, just a modicum of attention on the game itself because... man, this nectar thing is aweeesome!

What I truly love about this game is that it pushes me to use my own personal skills to survive. That it rewards amazingly the curious and brave types. That it's a framework (the way the story is told, the progression and the amount of optional stuff) you can fit around your own shape. The quality and the way your experience unravels is really decided by your choices - when fighting, when exploring the world etc.

I understand. I think part of the reason this game is so beautifully addictive is because there's so much to learn about it, and that it's a game that truly rewards the experience of actually playing over anything else. However, I certainly didn't bother to figure out all of the intricacies of the weapon upgrading system on my own. I consulted the internet because it's very convoluted. I really didn't want to waste my upgrade materials and time making something that would be useless. Perhaps if the system itself were streamlined, with less upgrade materials (or at least something that makes more sense - it's easier to get a maxed out twinkling weapon than it is to get a +15), I wouldn't be asking for an NPC to explain some of it. Again, it's not a problem, the internet makes it possible to seek this information if you don't find it out through playing and experimentation. But my first play through was like 100 hours long, I fucked around plenty. Personally I'd be able to tell I was doing something wrong if I were using a Drake Sword in the second half of the game, at the very least :p

Booshka

You just have to be more aware of your progression and think more about the stats you see and how they can be increased. I'm surprised how few players invest in upgrading weapons and armor instead of grinding for levels. If you compare the gains of reinforcing a weapon once to leveling Dexterity or Strength once it's not even close, you can get at least 10 points of damage (usually 15) from weapon reinforcement compared to maybe 2-4 points of damage from leveling up.

Armor is the same way, level up and get about 1-2 points increase in resistances, upgrade armor and get 5-10 points increase in defenses. For all new players I would suggest not focusing on leveling past 60 if you have shitty gear, invest all those souls into upgrading armor and weapons and the game will be much easier.

Sullichin

You just have to be more aware of your progression and think more about the stats you see and how they can be increased. I'm surprised how few players invest in upgrading weapons and armor instead of grinding for levels. If you compare the gains of reinforcing a weapon once to leveling Dexterity or Strength once it's not even close, you can get at least 10 points of damage (usually 15) from weapon reinforcement compared to maybe 2-4 points of damage from leveling up.

Armor is the same way, level up and get about 1-2 points increase in resistances, upgrade armor and get 5-10 points increase in defenses. For all new players I would suggest not focusing on leveling past 60 if you have shitty gear, invest all those souls into upgrading armor and weapons and the game will be much easier.

Yeah if you ignore weapon/armor upgrading and arbitrarily level up STR and DEX.. especially if you're using something like the drake sword.. you're making the game a lot harder than it needs to be. You're also screwing yourself more permanately if you level up like this. Those stats might not ever help you, and it's going to cost more to continue to level. If you upgrade a weapon that you don't use, that's not nearly as big of a problem.

Maybe if the weapon/armor upgrading was mentioned or explained by an NPC, players would see why they should spend their souls on this instead of leveling. The noob thing to do is go to the drake sword asap, but really you should get the weapon you want to use to +5 asap, and the large ember's not too far off from there.

Booshka

Yeah if you ignore weapon/armor upgrading and arbitrarily level up STR and DEX.. especially if you're using something like the drake sword.. you're making the game a lot harder than it needs to be. You're also screwing yourself more permanately if you level up like this. Those stats might not ever help you, and it's going to cost more to continue to level. If you upgrade a weapon that you don't use, that's not nearly as big of a problem.

Maybe if the weapon/armor upgrading was mentioned or explained by an NPC, players would see why they should spend their souls on this instead of leveling. The noob thing to do is go to the drake sword asap, but really you should get the weapon you want to use to +5 asap, and the large ember's not too far off from there.

I think this is a pretty common problem for new players, I have helped a lot of new players in jolly cooperation and sometimes they invite me to private chat, I ask them their stats and they almost always have inflated Dex and Str levels. I tell them to immediately stop leveling those two stats and focus on Vitality and Endurance. I like to think I've helped them recover from what could have been a very poorly leveled character that wouldn't be able to complete the game.

Frank

However, I certainly didn't bother to figure out all of the intricacies of the weapon upgrading system on my own. I consulted the internet because it's very convoluted.

But you did bother to figure out. It might be the most obtuse gameplay mechanism in Demons/Dark Souls but I think 'asking other people for advice' (which, let's say, is the romantic version of 'consulting the internet') is part of the game. You are in an unmapped territory, but you're not alone - the game keeps telling you this, in its deafmute way.

So, for what's worth you played it like it should be played. And those guys that experimented and tried and then told all the others what and how they did it, they've also played the game like it should be played. It's not only the passive multiplayer things which this series pulls off wonderfully, but also the way it brings its adventurers together - asking questions, sharing infobits - without pushing you to do it (you can end the game playing only with what's dotted about your natural path through the game), but because you want and need.

Sullichin

But you did bother to figure out. It might be the most obtuse gameplay mechanism in Demons/Dark Souls but I think 'asking other people for advice' (which, let's say, is the romantic version of 'consulting the internet') is part of the game. You are in an unmapped territory, but you're not alone - the game keeps telling you this, in its deafmute way.

So, for what's worth you played it like it should be played. And those guys that experimented and tried and then told all the others what and how they did it, they've also played the game like it should be played. It's not only the passive multiplayer things which this series pulls off wonderfully, but also the way it brings its adventurers together - asking questions, sharing infobits - without pushing you to do it (you can end the game playing only with what's dotted about your natural path through the game), but because you want and need.

No disagreement here. I love that the community-discovering-the-game-together permeates so deep. you've got in-game messages and then there's two full-fledged wikis on the game and calculators where diehard fans reverse engineer the formulas to find out how things work with exact numbers. There's various online communities, this thread, there's invaders dropping titanite slabs, there's co-op partners showing hidden passageways. I have tons of posts in this thread, I clearly love sharing my experiences with other players. When I first got this game and I was struggling with taurus/capra/gargoyles etc, i'd see other people here talking about cool stuff like homing crystal soulmass, lightning weapons, etc. I wasn't really spoiling the game for myself, but the disparity of what I knew about the game and what I knew I have yet to learn was fascinating, it kept me playing and trying out new stuff well past my first run.

Frank

Very well put, and indeed. The social metagame it's definitely one of the main things that pushed and kept me going. Although, lately I've felt a bit of a buffoon more often - pulling a Host after me to a side path instead of straight to where we should be going 'come, come, there's something here hidden for you to... Oh, you already got it. Right, straight to the boss we go' - and similar :)

sixghost

Looking back, yeah it should have been obvious. But most RPGs and dungeon crawlers have you continuously finding better and better weapons, so it seemed like a waste to upgrade my weapons/armor when I could level up my character. Unless you've already played DeS or Dark Souls, it's really not that apparent early on that the weapon you start with or find within the first hour can be just as good as most of the stuff you find through the entire game.

sixghost

Iaito +15 or Lightning?

You'll probably need to post your points in DEX and whether or not you are able to use a spell like Crystal Magic Weapon or Darkmoon Blade or the Faith lightning resin spell for people to give you the right answer for you.

Booshka

Iaito +15 or Lightning?

If you have bare minimum stats to wield it, then go with Lightning, if you are investing in Dex stop at 40 for scaling purposes, then take your Iaito to +15. Pure physical is always better than splitting the damage across physical and elemental, but if you don't have the stats to benefit from scaling, go elemental.

Booshka

I have 40 Dex right now. I also have an Uchi+5.

Good, take all of your A and B Scaling Dex weapons to normal +14 then decide which one you want to dedicate a slab to. If you are using Pyromancy regularly you could put 5 more points into Dex for quicker casting times, it's not necessary though.

Looking back, yeah it should have been obvious. But most RPGs and dungeon crawlers have you continuously finding better and better weapons, so it seemed like a waste to upgrade my weapons/armor when I could level up my character. Unless you've already played DeS or Dark Souls, it's really not that apparent early on that the weapon you start with or find within the first hour can be just as good as most of the stuff you find through the entire game.

add that to the "things i would tell new players": upgrading > levelling up. every time. that's why finishing it at low levels is so approachable.

I have 40 Dex right now. I also have an Uchi+5. is the thrust the only real difference between the two?

from memory yeah pretty much, Uchi has a little higher damage output. Iato gets that leaping slash which is less likely to miss than the thrust.

Sullichin

So far my +5 Silver Straight still hits harder than +10 Iaito..hope it is worth it.

Think it gets A scaling at +14 and +15, but the base damage will be lower than +5 silver straight sword. I'd imagine the scaling would push it above silver straight, plus the Iaito can be enchanted, and has bleed.

EDIT: seems like the silver knight straight sword can be enchanted too.

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/unique-dragon

Looks like SSS+5 will have 395 attack rating, Iaito+15 will have 410 at 40 DEX.

What's getting you killed?

You should be able to block/roll-through his physical strikes, and if the fire aoe is getting you load up on fire protect gear plus Flash Sweat.

Blocking is out of the question, I just lose all my stamina, 90% of my health and usually get thrown into a pit. No time to heal before I die usually.

regular or NG+? should be fairly straightforward. just dodge for the sides then when it comes to the middle you can block the swipes as long as you angle yourself towards side he's coming from. if you're finding he's getting through your shield you could always try 2-handing something with more stability. On my SL25 guy I use the eagle shield 2-handed if I need serious blocking, and have a pyro glove equipped in the left for attacking.

THIS is what I was looking for! Never thought of two-handing a shield. Will give it a try and see if I can block with better Poise now.

Edit: Sweet baby Jebus, it worked!

malfcn

Tried to get the Cursed Artorias and forgot to see I needed Faith and Int. Now I am 1 point and 50k shy. There went over a million souls fast. I just need to get on with this game..

I am mainly playing offline as a pyro. Have been using Drake Sword, just got Lightning Spear, does it worth upgrading? I am not trying to get any hard to get weapons. So does Lightning Spear would be enough for the rest of the game?

my Stats:
Level:35
Vit:17
Att:17
End:15
STR:20
Dex:18
Res:12
Int:10
Faith:9

Other weapons i have:
Astora's SS
Drake Sword
Claymore
Black Knight Sword
Zweihander
Whip
Etc.
Etc.

Suggestions?

Sullichin

I am mainly playing offline as a pyro. Have been using Drake Sword, just got Lightning Spear, does it worth upgrading? I am not trying to get any hard to get weapons. So does Lightning Spear would be enough for the rest of the game?

my Stats:

Other weapons i have:
Astora's SS
Drake Sword
Claymore
Black Knight Sword
Zweihander
Whip
Etc.
Etc.

Suggestions?

If you just got the lightning spear the next area you're going to be in has a blacksmith that will let you make other lightning weapons. You might like the moveset of a lightning claymore a lot more, for example. Don't level up your STR/DEX beyond the minimum required for a weapon if you plan on going the lightning route with it, it will give you absolutely no benefit. Likewise, your drake sword is not doing any more damage with 20STR than it was at 16STR.

Tried to get the Cursed Artorias and forgot to see I needed Faith and Int. Now I am 1 point and 50k shy. There went over a million souls fast. I just need to get on with this game..

Unfortunately greatsword of artorias sucks when you only meet the base requirements, something I learned on my first character.

EDIT: keeping that 2 handed shield approach for low level Bed of Chaos in the back of my mind for my SL15 character... he's currently stuck getting 1 shotted by Demon Firesage. Wtf lol, O&S and 4K didn't give me this much trouble.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I remember my first time seeing the two-handed shield approach in action. It was when I was doing co-op at Capra. The host was wearing full Elite Knight Armor and was dual-wielding the Grass Crest and Dragon Crest shields. Kept the Grass Crest slung on his back and two-fisted the Dragon Crest then spent the entire fight standing in the corner with the shield up while me and another phantom took care of business.

I can barely imagine how many times he must have died to Capra to be driven to that.

Booshka

my Stats:

Other weapons i have:
Astora's SS
Drake Sword
Claymore
Black Knight Sword
Zweihander
Whip
Etc.
Etc.

Suggestions?

Black Knight Sword would be best with those stats, you meet the minimum requirements for it so you can stop leveling both STR and DEX for a while and focus on your Vitality and Endurance. If you have some twinkling you can upgrade the sword with it. It has a much better moveset than the lightning spear and will do more damage when upgraded. I wouldn't waste any Titanite Chunks on that lightning spear, use them on a better weapon later.

I remember my first time seeing the two-handed shield approach in action. It was when I was doing co-op at Capra. The host was wearing full Elite Knight Armor and was dual-wielding the Grass Crest and Dragon Crest shields. Kept the Grass Crest slung on his back and two-fisted the Dragon Crest then spent the entire fight standing in the corner with the shield up while me and another phantom took care of business.

I can barely imagine how many times he must have died to Capra to be driven to that.

haha.. aww poor guy :( i found it really handy for the Sif fight on NG+ with a sl25 dude, eagle shield in the right, pyro glove in the left, block his attacks, hit triangle to go 1h and start throwing greater combustions or whatever, back to 2h when it's time to block again.

Sullichin

If I wanna get invaded in upper undead burg, it's still safe to kill capra, right? I want to go to the depths to farm rats and i guess kill gaping for the millionth time.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
haha.. aww poor guy :( i found it really handy for the Sif fight on NG+ with a sl25 dude, eagle shield in the right, pyro glove in the left, block his attacks, hit triangle to go 1h and start throwing greater combustions or whatever, back to 2h when it's time to block again.

I felt really sorry for him. I don't think it's particularly prudent to diagnose serious mental issues through a video game, but that dude totally had PTSD. It wasn't so much what he'd likely been through that made me feel bad for him, but the knowledge that at some point in the future he was going to round a corner in the Demon Ruins and find himself face-to-skull with a goat-themed tableau of his worst nightmares looming large on the horizon.

I imagine that when he saw it he dropped his controller and, while shaking uncontrollably, buried his face in his hands and tried desperately to turn his mind to thoughts of his happy place.

Poor fellow. Poor, poor fellow.

Man, using the BB glitch to create new characters really highlights how little stats matter in this game. It's all about equipment and your own wits. I have only 14 STR and DEX and I feel like a wrecking ball. I could probably beat the game at my current level 10.

Beaulieu

wow I finally beat the Carpa demon... didnt think I'd ever do it.

I found a green titanite thing in the depths, and I went to the blacksmith to boost my +5 mace. I chose the 3rd option, whish had a lot less phys damage but crazy magic damage. This is, I dont know how to activate the magic on the weapon ? It just deals the phys damage wich sucks a LOT.

What can I do ?? Can I roll back my weapon or something ? Or should I continue updating it ? I dont plan to put any pts in intell

edit : i chose divine btw. from andrei.

edit ; after looking through the wiki i think i should have chosen raw... i still dont see how im suppose to do the magic damage from the weapon

Sullichin

I found a green titanite thing in the depths, and I went to the blacksmith to boost my +5 mace. I chose the 3rd option, whish had a lot less phys damage but crazy magic damage. This is, I dont know how to activate the magic on the weapon ? It just deals the phys damage wich sucks a LOT.

What can I do ?? Can I roll back my weapon or something ? Or should I continue updating it ? I dont plan to put any pts in intell

edit ; after looking through the wiki i think i should have chosen raw... i still dont see how im suppose to do the magic damage from the weapon

divine weapons scale magic damage with your faith stat. you are dealing magic damage as well when you use it, but there is no special visual effect for it. you can revert to +5 at the blacksmith if you don't want that

EDIT: also in the depths you can find the large ember which allows you to bring the weapon from +5 to +10 on the normal path, which usually makes more sense than the raw upgrade path.

Beaulieu

divine weapons scale magic damage with your faith stat. you are dealing magic damage as well when you use it, but there is no special visual effect for it. you can revert to +5 at the blacksmith if you don't want that

EDIT: also in the depths you can find the large ember which allows you to bring the weapon from +5 to +10 on the normal path, which usually makes more sense than the raw upgrade path.

ok so i dont need int to scale the dmg ?
hmmm weird that the dmg is so low, my faith is not that low.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Grinding for a couple hours at the beginning of Anor Londo and increase my stamina stats was an amazing decision. Thanks to that I can wear a badass rock armor and I'm still pretty agile!

capra was one of those bosses that beat me a bunch of times, but i knew i would eventually get him.
sif
is the only boss i really ever felt hopeless against, until i got the eagle shield.

you dont activate magic damage, but the total amount of damage you will do will scale with your intelligence stat, and it will do more damage to enemies that are weak to magic. if you plan to play to a high level, normal is generally better than raw. do you know what stats you want to focus on (dex, strength, int, faith are the most relevant for weapon progression)? know that should guide your decisions on how to upgrade.

you can roll back weapons if you want. since different enemies are weak to different things and different weapons have different attack animations, i personally like having a handful of weapons on different upgrade paths so you can use whatever is best for a given situation.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I didn't get any ring, just the other Havel equipment.

That + my level 9 Zweihander is making things more manageable than my puny battle axe before.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Capra Demon is such a craps shoot without a friend. Can't say how many times I got one-shot'd before I could even make it to the stairs. I got my revenge on my second character though, came back and blasted him with superior tactics.

Booshka

What is the best place to level up in the whole game on the first playthrough?

Co op summons and PvP hosting give you the most souls if you are willing to restrain your level and hold on to millions of souls until you have enough to level where you want to level to. Or you could make Anor Londo dark and keep killing the two NPC's that spawn there, they give you 5K each.

I suggest summons though, Anor Londo especially, you will get 25K souls each time and a humanity.

If you get summoned into a NG+ fight you will get 75K

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I still have no effin' idea how multiplayer/co-op works. I used a item on New Londo, saw a guy attack me and beat him. Then I walked around as a ghost, saw two dudes, tried to attack them and they slaughtered me.

Co op summons and PvP hosting give you the most souls if you are willing to restrain your level and hold on to millions of souls until you have enough to level where you want to level to. Or you could make Anor Londo dark and keep killing the two NPC's that spawn there, they give you 5K each.

I suggest summons though, Anor Londo especially, you will get 25K souls each time and a humanity.

If you get summoned into a NG+ fight you will get 75K

It's amazing how much I've invested into this game and still don't understand some of the most basic stuff. How do you make Anor Londo go dark? :\ And what two NPCs are they? Do they keep coming back for an easy 10k?

Booshka

It's amazing how much I've invested into this game and still don't understand some of the most basic stuff. How do you make Anor Londo go dark? :\ And what two NPCs are they? Do they keep coming back for an easy 10k?

To make Anor Londo dark
attack Gwynevere (big boobs chick)

And yes, those two NPC's respawn if you use a Homeward Bone or Homeward spell. Just use the Chamber of the Princess bonfire as your home base and rinse and repeat killing them.

ok so i dont need int to scale the dmg ?
hmmm weird that the dmg is so low, my faith is not that low.

the weapon stats screen shows what stats will scale too, those little icons with A, C, E etc. next to them. Better the letter grade, better the scaling but there's also differences between say A scaling at +1 and A at +5, meaning the bonus can go up as you level the weapon up eg. divine +2, +3 ... to +10 even if the letter grade itself doesn't change. Divine weapons are good for the catacombs but really a bit crappy overall i think unless you have invested in faith a lot. I've only just started a faith build and I haven't bothered with one yet, just grabbed the Astora Straight Sword from Valley of the Drakes and +5'd it. It's a bit shit too. basically went faith so i could use sunlight blade on a +15 regular weapon. Might make a divine great scythe though, i do like that weapon.

To make Anor Londo dark

And yes, those two NPC's respawn if you use a Homeward Bone or Homeward spell. Just use the Chamber of the Princess bonfire as your home base and rinse and repeat killing them.

Thank you! Where are these two NPCs?

malfcn

To make Anor Londo dark

I may have to try this. Does it mess with any achievements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom