• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I did something really wrong. I am at level 89 right now and I just cannot equip most of my equipment. For instance, Drake Sword +2 is 240 attack, and the sword you get off of the other dragon's tail in Ash Lake is almost 400, but I can't use it. It won't let me. Via a suggestion in this thread, I am trying to raise my Strength and Dexterity points, both of which are either at 20 or close to 20. I dedicated most of my points to Health, Endurance, and Resistance throughout the game.

I'm getting the idea that was not a good idea...because I would sure like to use a s tronger weapon now.

Booshka

Oh, and the giants? They are always there. Don't need Anor to be dark.

Not talking about giants, talking about NPC's that are supposed to be Darkmoon covenant members. Giant's give you 3000 souls each, NPC's give you 5000 souls each and are easier to kill.

And yea Resistance is a waste of levels.

EDIT: Rant

Tough day at the office as a Darkwraith invader, everyone I fight has Pinwheel mask and Giant's armor, I even got ganked by level 300 something players with max scaled Greatsword of Artorias'. I don't get the ganking mentality, doesn't it get old after a while, 1v1 fair duels are far more entertaining. I tried ganking for a bit, but I got bored and would just watch my phantom fight while I sat back. They always get confused and wonder why I'm not helping and healing them while they fight, no manner in this game. Really frustrating.

malfcn

What happened. I killed her, and now I can't use Homeward..Nevermind, wrong button. Wait, it won't let me use it again. Is there some weird cool down?

Beaulieu

the weapon stats screen shows what stats will scale too, those little icons with A, C, E etc. next to them. Better the letter grade, better the scaling but there's also differences between say A scaling at +1 and A at +5, meaning the bonus can go up as you level the weapon up eg. divine +2, +3 ... to +10 even if the letter grade itself doesn't change. Divine weapons are good for the catacombs but really a bit crappy overall i think unless you have invested in faith a lot. I've only just started a faith build and I haven't bothered with one yet, just grabbed the Astora Straight Sword from Valley of the Drakes and +5'd it. It's a bit shit too. basically went faith so i could use sunlight blade on a +15 regular weapon. Might make a divine great scythe though, i do like that weapon.

oh i see, thanks man !

sleepykyo

Not talking about giants, talking about NPC's that are supposed to be Darkmoon covenant members. Giant's give you 3000 souls each, NPC's give you 5000 souls each and are easier to kill.

And yea Resistance is a waste of levels.

EDIT: Rant

Tough day at the office as a Darkwraith invader, everyone I fight has Pinwheel mask and Giant's armor, I even got ganked by level 300 something players with max scaled Greatsword of Artorias'. I don't get the ganking mentality, doesn't it get old after a while, 1v1 fair duels are far more entertaining. I tried ganking for a bit, but I got bored and would just watch my phantom fight while I sat back. They always get confused and wonder why I'm not helping and healing them while they fight, no manner in this game. Really frustrating.

Devil's advocate. Is your DWGR, high poise, high defense, demon's great machete beating on a sliver knight fair? If having better equipment is acceptable when equipment isn't standardized, then why isn't being a higher level when levels aren't standardized?

It's Dark Souls not Soul Calibur 5 or even CoD. In the end everyone is just exploiting whatever advantage they can and Dark Souls just has more exploits than most.

Booshka

Devil's advocate. Is your DWGR, high poise, high defense, demon's great machete beating on a sliver knight fair? If having better equipment is acceptable when equipment isn't standardized, then why isn't being a higher level when levels aren't standardized?

It's Dark Souls not Soul Calibur 5 or even CoD. In the end everyone is just exploiting whatever advantage they can and Dark Souls just has more exploits than most.

Actually I was playing on a Chaos Blade pyromancy build, I don't really mind cheap builds (like the DMB DGM one I have) I just hate getting 2v1 ganked all day. And yea I got kinda frustrated with the imbalance of Dark Souls, so I hopped on Shadowrun and had a great time playing a brilliantly balanced and fair game with a pretty good netcode to boot.

Troidal

I am a level 26 Pyromancer, I rang the first church bell, and I know you're supposed to ring another one. I'm having a good time with the game, but the more I read/spoiler myself, it seems I am missing out on a lot of magical weapons/armors. I've pretty much been relying on weapons and armors I either picked up as loot or bought from a merchant. My strongest weapon at this point is just a Short Sword + 5. I think the only magical weapons I have are the Gargoyle's Axe and that sword you can grab near the dragon in the valley (which I can't equip since you need Mircale = 12). Is this normal, or am I missing out a lot of stuff? I haven't beaten most of those big dark knights in the early levels though, they seem pretty tough.

So right now, I can go to New Londo, I know you need to use a curse item to be able to fight those ghosts, but I've died a few times so I am ignoring that for now. Then there's the forest, where the magical moth/butterfly is the boss(?), or, I can head to Blighttown via the valley. It's too dark in there, and seems enemies there poison you. I had no healing item, so I died :/ I know you need to stock up on purple moss in the forest so maybe I'll do that a little bit, then head back to Blitetown. There's also that anti-poison ring you can buy from the priest(?) under the first church bell, is that useful?

Sounds like there is still sooo much to do. I'll try to stop reading and spoiler myself, much more exciting discovering it on my own. However, it was a big help to read that you can summon NPCs even if you are playing alone...god, I wouldn't have known that. Fighting those gargoyles was pretty tough.

malfcn

Four Kings are dead. Sucks that I can't get Darkwraith Covenant now though. :(

How come some places don't allow for a Forest Warp?

Teknoman

I need to find a different faction to join asap. Tired of the way of white since I never seem to run into any invaders -_-. Not to mention its not very interesting. Probably should just hit the strategy guide and check out the different factions in detail.

Soulhouf

ok so i dont need int to scale the dmg ?
hmmm weird that the dmg is so low, my faith is not that low.

You need faith to increase the damage of a divine weapon.

Magic damage goes against magic defense and normal damage goes against physical defense.
But the total output damage is not exactly the sum of the two and that's the problem.
Let's say you have a weapon like this: normal damage = 100, magical damage = 100.
You run against a monster with the following defense: normal defense = 80, magical defense = 70.
The total damage will be something like = (100 - 80) + (100 - 70) = 50.
That's not the exact formula but it's a kind of approximation.
In that case for example you notice that a weapon with only physical damage 150 will do more damage than the one with 100 phy and 100 mag.

I too was surprised before I understood this fact.

elohel

Resistance is worthless.

???

no it isn't that isn't true at all lol

what about if you had a bunch of points in resistance and you had a bunch of humanity on you as well? plus some badass armor

could actually really really raise your defense right?

Sullichin

I am a level 26 Pyromancer, I rang the first church bell, and I know you're supposed to ring another one. I'm having a good time with the game, but the more I read/spoiler myself, it seems I am missing out on a lot of magical weapons/armors. I've pretty much been relying on weapons and armors I either picked up as loot or bought from a merchant. My strongest weapon at this point is just a Short Sword + 5. I think the only magical weapons I have are the Gargoyle's Axe and that sword you can grab near the dragon in the valley (which I can't equip since you need Mircale = 12). Is this normal, or am I missing out a lot of stuff? I haven't beaten most of those big dark knights in the early levels though, they seem pretty tough.

So right now, I can go to New Londo, I know you need to use a curse item to be able to fight those ghosts, but I've died a few times so I am ignoring that for now. Then there's the forest, where the magical moth/butterfly is the boss(?), or, I can head to Blighttown via the valley. It's too dark in there, and seems enemies there poison you. I had no healing item, so I died :/ I know you need to stock up on purple moss in the forest so maybe I'll do that a little bit, then head back to Blitetown. There's also that anti-poison ring you can buy from the priest(?) under the first church bell, is that useful?

Sounds like there is still sooo much to do. I'll try to stop reading and spoiler myself, much more exciting discovering it on my own. However, it was a big help to read that you can summon NPCs even if you are playing alone...god, I wouldn't have known that. Fighting those gargoyles was pretty tough.

keep at it. you've got most of the game left :) you didn't miss anything huge, but it seems like you haven't stumbled upon the lower undead burg yet... good luck!

Four Kings are dead. Sucks that I can't get Darkwraith Covenant now though. :(

How come some places don't allow for a Forest Warp?

the forest isn't a warpable bonfire.

Beaulieu

You need faith to increase the damage of a divine weapon.

Magic damage goes against magic defense and normal damage goes against physical defense.
But the total output damage is not exactly the sum of the two and that's the problem.
Let's say you have a weapon like this: normal damage = 100, magical damage = 100.
You run against a monster with the following defense: normal defense = 80, magical defense = 70.
The total damage will be something like = (100 - 80) + (100 - 70) = 50.
That's not the exact formula but it's a kind of approximation.
In that case for example you notice that a weapon with only physical damage 150 will do more damage than the one with 100 phy and 100 mag.

I too was surprised before I understood this fact.

thanks!

Almost made the worst mistake yet, climbed up from Blighttown to Valley Of Drakes and from there to Undead Burg, got owned by some random enemies because I forgot I didn't stay at the bonfire in the Shrine. Well at least going up for the second time wasn't so bad. Blighttown was the not necessarily hardest part but definitely most annoying so far.

I still have no effin' idea how multiplayer/co-op works. I used a item on New Londo, saw a guy attack me and beat him. Then I walked around as a ghost, saw two dudes, tried to attack them and they slaughtered me.

You need to be in human form to be able to play co-op or PVP.

Leave a summon sign (with your white crystal) near a bonfire or before a boss if you want a good chance to get summoned. Or look for white/yellow summon signs yourself to get a co-op partner.
Your summon sign will disappear if you leave the area, like if you place a summon sign at the bottom of Blighttown & head either to the Great Hollow or climb up to the upper part of Blighttown, it will disappear.

People can only join you if they are 10% within your level (20% if you join Solaire convent).
As for invading, there are other convents that have different requirements to invade that aren't all dependent on levels.

You missed a TON. Youtube Drake Sword for the best early weapon in the game.

You could have done a few suicide run near the graveyard with skeletons right next to the firelink shrine to get some weapons as well.

You can also head back to the Undead Asylum (tutorial level) & get a ring that will let you walk in normal speed in the blighttown swamp. You'll need anti poison herbs as well, which you can farm from the tree enemies in Darkroot garden or buy them from a merchant from the firelink/depths shortcut.

There is also a shield that will block poison that is available in the Depths (drop behind a fireplace right behind one of the sack head butchers).

PhatSaqs

Banned
Not sure if spoiler tags are still warranted but...

I just killed the big moth fairy thing and went on to what seems like there used to be a merchant but he was turned to stone. I was able to pillage is body for goods. Is this normal?

Not sure if spoiler tags are still warranted but...

I just killed the big moth fairy thing and went on to what seems like there used to be a merchant but he was turned to stone. I was able to pillage is body for goods. Is this normal?

That was an ember, you give it to one of the blacksmiths to be able to upgrade your weapon a new path.

malfcn

Sorry, I meant..I have the Forest Ring on to invade people..and sometimes it takes 2 seconds to keep invading..or 10 minutes. Totally random, or are some places not letting me?

Booshka

???

no it isn't that isn't true at all lol

what about if you had a bunch of points in resistance and you had a bunch of humanity on you as well? plus some badass armor

could actually really really raise your defense right?

No, it's worthless, compared to pretty much any other stat. Every time you level any stat you get a little boost in defenses, armor is obviously the easiest way to get your defense up and Humanity works as well. The problem with Resistance is that it only increases defenses and poison resistance, and nothing else. All of the other stats increase something far more worthwhile than just defenses. You're much better off putting points into Vitality for more HP, or Endurance to wear better armor if you want to be tougher.

Also, I think you're max defenses cap at a certain value anyway, I can't seem to get my physical defense past 450.

Sullichin

Sorry, I meant..I have the Forest Ring on to invade people..and sometimes it takes 2 seconds to keep invading..or 10 minutes. Totally random, or are some places not letting me?

yeah that was my experience when I used the ring as well. if you want to invade you'll probably get more action as a dakrwraith.

sixghost

SL25 is way too low to enter New Londo, and you need to do something in the forest before you can actually complete New Londo anyway. Don't worry about getting all the weapons, your starting weapons like the short sword can be just as good as most weapons, and it will be tremendously better than the Drake Sword if you keep upgrading it.

Keep going blind, that's the best way to experience the game. You can only experience that world for the first time once. Save the FAQs and stuff for a NG+ or a 2nd character.

Sullichin

the game lags way too much online for backstabs in their current implementation to make sense. Maybe make them do less damage. Idk about removing it all together though, seems like a pretty important aspect of some builds. Also, if shields protected against backstabs, everyone would just have a shield on their back. Everyone.

schwupp

newbie question:
after killing the black knight i got a titanite chunk.
what do i do with it?
should i keep it or use it on my longsword (beginning weapong)?

dosh

Also, if shields protected against backstabs, everyone would just have a shield on their back. Everyone.

That's the shame about "absolute solutions": they don't leave any room for maybe.
How's the pvp right now by the way? I haven't had any time to play since december, and it was kinda fun at the time, even with tons of griefers.

(hi to DkS Gaf by the way: I just got my account activated the other day and I've been litteraly lurking this thread and its previous incarnations for months)

newbie question:
after killing the black knight i got a titanite chunk.
what do i do with it?
should i keep it or use it on my longsword (beginning weapong)?
Right now, I'd keep it and wait to try some other weapons. You can't really use it right from the start anyway, you need to build your current weapon to a certain point before that.
But you'll get tons more of titanite chunks later in the game.

Soulhouf

the game lags way too much online for backstabs in their current implementation to make sense. Maybe make them do less damage. Idk about removing it all together though, seems like a pretty important aspect of some builds. Also, if shields protected against backstabs, everyone would just have a shield on their back. Everyone.

Or make backstabbing only possible with knives and small weapons. I can't believe how ridiculous the backstab with Demon Great Axe looks...

schwupp

Right now, I'd keep it and wait to try some other weapons. You can't really use it right from the start anyway, you need to build your current weapon to a certain point before that.
But you'll get tons more of titanite chunks later in the game.

ok, will do.

Is ******** reliable when it comes to sales numbers? Because Dark Souls just crossed the million mark. Videogame chartz?

Edit: why is it getting bleeped out?

JVIDICAN

I'm starting to get an itch to go back to this now. Probably will once I finish Skyward Sword. :D
I'd like to try a low level co-op run or something interesting like that. Would anyone be interested?

Grinchy

Banned

I've had a couple really awesome, non-laggy fights with invaders. Everything else has been as you are describing it. Someone will be standing in front of me, and suddenly they are behind me with a backstab. It's impossible to actually play. That said, I haven't gone out of my way to do a lot of pvp. It's just that every time it has come up, it's been a shitty lagfest that made no sense and sent me back to my last bonfire.

Booshka

I've had a couple really awesome, non-laggy fights with invaders. Everything else has been as you are describing it. Someone will be standing in front of me, and suddenly they are behind me with a backstab. It's impossible to actually play. That said, I haven't gone out of my way to do a lot of pvp. It's just that every time it has come up, it's been a shitty lagfest that made no sense and sent me back to my last bonfire.

I almost lost it earlier when a guy walked through my Fire Tempest, tanked the 800 damage and backstabbed me. I couldn't believe the guy just strolled through geysers of fire to backstab me, poise is really stupid in this game. I think it has a purpose, but it needs tweaking, poise backstabs are far too common in PvP.

maomaoIYP

That's the shame about "absolute solutions": they don't leave any room for maybe.
How's the pvp right now by the way? I haven't had any time to play since december, and it was kinda fun at the time, even with tons of griefers.

(hi to DkS Gaf by the way: I just got my account activated the other day and I've been litteraly lurking this thread and its previous incarnations for months)

Welcome to DkS Gaf!

PvP is still filled with griefers. If you like invading, take it in your stride, and accept that you will lose 80% of the time. ;_;

Either that, or go as dirty as you can. When it's 2v1, all the gloves come off....

My rule of thumb of pvp is basically when I'm looking for a "proper" fight (with the bowing and everything), I go all out with the best builds and weapons, but not wraith of god because that thing breaks the game. If I'm just looking to ruin someone day or someone invades when I'm minding my own business, wraith of god all day, I end up always keeping 6 WoF in stock to prevent invaders but I take them off when I want a proper fight.

Griefing is really bullshit though, I remember watching my friend play for the first time and he came to the burg for the first time and got invaded by a dude using Eagle Shield and Lightning Spear. I tried to help him but his gear was so bad I couldn't do anything before getting almost one-shotted.

The idea of "farming" invaders is also pretty painful, especially at supposedly dedicated pvp areas like kiln or burg where you can't really aggro enemies to help you, it puts invaders at a huge disadvantage and removes the element of surprise that invaders should have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom