• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's worthless, compared to pretty much any other stat. Every time you level any stat you get a little boost in defenses, armor is obviously the easiest way to get your defense up and Humanity works as well. The problem with Resistance is that it only increases defenses and poison resistance, and nothing else. All of the other stats increase something far more worthwhile than just defenses. You're much better off putting points into Vitality for more HP, or Endurance to wear better armor if you want to be tougher.

Also, I think you're max defenses cap at a certain value anyway, I can't seem to get my physical defense past 450.

Argh. Then that was my problem. I'd like to equip a freakin' good weapon. Should I just concentrate on distributing my points to Stength and Dexterity now? In order to equip better weapons.

Sullichin

That's the shame about "absolute solutions": they don't leave any room for maybe.
How's the pvp right now by the way? I haven't had any time to play since december, and it was kinda fun at the time, even with tons of griefers.

(hi to DkS Gaf by the way: I just got my account activated the other day and I've been litteraly lurking this thread and its previous incarnations for months)

Right now, I'd keep it and wait to try some other weapons. You can't really use it right from the start anyway, you need to build your current weapon to a certain point before that.
But you'll get tons more of titanite chunks later in the game.

Welcome!

Despite any gripes I've come up with, I still think PVP is awesome. I'd rank the pvp areas like this:
1) Undead Burg
2) Painted World
3) Kiln
4) Dark Londo
5) Forest

That is, you'll get in the most unfair fights with the biggest assholes all wearing the same gear in the forest, and you'll have mostly fair, honorable 1 on 1 duels in the Burg (although there will be some lameness here every once in a while too). I like to be invaded rather than be the invader. At least then I know I won't be spawn killed at the invasion point, or grouped up on by 2 people. Also don't have to worry about the host using estus.

Booshka

My rule of thumb of pvp is basically when I'm looking for a "proper" fight (with the bowing and everything), I go all out with the best builds and weapons, but not wraith of god because that thing breaks the game. If I'm just looking to ruin someone day or someone invades when I'm minding my own business, wraith of god all day, I end up always keeping 6 WoF in stock to prevent invaders but I take them off when I want a proper fight.

Griefing is really bullshit though, I remember watching my friend play for the first time and he came to the burg for the first time and got invaded by a dude using Eagle Shield and Lightning Spear. I tried to help him but his gear was so bad I couldn't do anything before getting almost one-shotted.

The idea of "farming" invaders is also pretty painful, especially at supposedly dedicated pvp areas like kiln or burg where you can't really aggro enemies to help you, it puts invaders at a huge disadvantage and removes the element of surprise that invaders should have

I don't like the payouts, a host shouldn't be able to get 50% of souls to level over and over in PvP areas. If anything invaders should get more souls because they can't heal with estus and have phantoms help them. I don't mind if someone legitimately beats an invader on their way to progressing through an area. Camping in the Forest or Dark Londo and farming invaders for tons of souls is bullshit though, it just promotes ganking and chugging estus during fights. It's also the only feasible way to level to insane levels (250+) which needs to change.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Awesome, just got the Havel Ring and now I'm rolling like a marathon runner, even with all that heavy Havel Armor. I'm feeling pretty good now about whatever the game throws at me next.

I think I'm gonna do the catacombs now since I just finished the flying butterfly.

"Large Soul of a Brave Warrior," or other NON-BOSS souls like that--should these be consumed for soul points, or are they better (or even possibly) distributed to better causes? Noob question is noob question.

Sullichin

"Large Soul of a Brave Warrior," or other NON-BOSS souls like that--should these be consumed for soul points, or are they better (or even possibly) distributed to better causes? Noob question is noob question.

Consume for souls. but NOT Fire keeper souls. Them shits upgrade your estus flask.

Consume for souls. but NOT Fire keeper souls. Them shits upgrade your estus flask.

I never realized I had so many of these things.
-Soul of the Lost Undead (x9)
-Large Soul of the Lost Undead (x8)
-Soul of a Nameless Soldier (x6)
-Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier (x11)
-Soul of a Proud Knight (x13)
-Large Soul of a Proud Knight (x8)
-Soul of a Brave Warrior (x7)
-Large Soul of a Brave Warrior (x3)
-Soul of a Hero (x1)

So, these can all be used safely just to gain experience/souls, and I won't realize later I could have used them for better purposes?

Also, these guys:
-Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly (x1)
-Soul of Quelaag (x1)
-Core of an Iron Golem (x1)
-Soul of Smough (x1)
-Soul of Sif (x1)
-Soul of Priscila (x1)
These should be saved/used for weapon creation I've heard. Is this correct? Are there any tips on where to use these or how to create the weapons potentially derived from these pieces?

Dark Souls GAF rules and is saving my careful, conservative-as-heck life in this game.

Booshka

I never realized I had so many of these things.
-Soul of the Lost Undead (x9)
-Large Soul of the Lost Undead (x8)
-Soul of a Nameless Soldier (x6)
-Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier (x11)
-Soul of a Proud Knight (x13)
-Large Soul of a Proud Knight (x8)
-Soul of a Brave Warrior (x7)
-Large Soul of a Brave Warrior (x3)
-Soul of a Hero (x1)

So, these can all be used safely just to gain experience/souls, and I won't realize later I could have used them for better purposes?

Also, these guys:
-Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly (x1)
-Soul of Quelaag (x1)
-Core of an Iron Golem (x1)
-Soul of Smough (x1)
-Soul of Sif (x1)
-Soul of Priscila (x1)
These should be saved/used for weapon creation I've heard. Is this correct? Are there any tips on where to use these or how to create the weapons potentially derived from these pieces?

Dark Souls GAF rules and is saving my careful, conservative-as-heck life in this game.
Just upgrade one of every weapon type (Sword, Greatsword, Club, Spear, Curved Sword, Scythe, Bow) to Normal +10 and talk to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo, he can forge boss weapons.

Normal +10 just me standard upgrading? So Drake Sword +2 would be a Normal+2? And the non-boss souls are safe to use for collecting souls only?

Normal +10 just me standard upgrading? So Drake Sword +2 would be a Normal+2? And the non-boss souls are safe to use for collecting souls only?

you were correct with your soul breakdown above.

normal +10 is just standard upgrading. the drake sword is a dragon weapon so it is on a different upgrade path from normal weapons. if you were to upgrade your starting weapon it would be on the normal path. you can eventually find enchanted and occult weapons that are on different paths, or you can upgrade weapons to those paths once you find certain items.

non-boss souls, with the exception of firekeeper souls are safe to use for collecting souls. boss souls upgrade weapons and firekeeper souls upgrade estus flasks.

Booshka

You need those boss souls to forge boss weapons. You make a Normal +10 weapon with Titanite Shards and Large Titanite Shards, at Normal +5 go to Andre the Blacksmith in Undead Parish and go to modify equipment to make it Normal +6, from there, take it to +10, then go to Anor Londo and talk to the Giant Blacksmith, there will be an option to ascend that Normal +10 weapon to a Boss weapon, and it will use the Boss soul if you have it in your inventory.

The Drake Sword is reinforced through Dragon scales which are much harder to obtain than just Titanite Shards and Large Titanite shards.

Sullichin

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades
scroll down to 'weapon upgrade chart'. Drake sword would follow the 'Dragon' path since it takes Dragon scales to upgrade. It only goes up to +5. I wouldn't bother upgrading the Drake Sword. Once you get to +10 on the "normal" path, you can make lighting weapons, and some weapons can be forged into boss weapons at this point with the boss souls you have. Just type in the name of the soul in to that wiki and it will tell you what weapon you can make. The smith in Anor Londo is the guy who makes these and lightning weapons.

and yeah you can consume those souls, the wiki will tell you how much each is worth

Troidal

Sullichin said:
keep at it. you've got most of the game left :) you didn't miss anything huge, but it seems like you haven't stumbled upon the lower undead burg yet... good luck!

I am aware there is a lower part. I am assuming you have to beat that dark knight with the bigass curved sword at the bottom of the circular stairwell. I've been meaning to beat him.

See You Next Wednesday said:
You missed a TON. Youtube Drake Sword for the best early weapon in the game.

You could have done a few suicide run near the graveyard with skeletons right next to the firelink shrine to get some weapons as well.

You can also head back to the Undead Asylum (tutorial level) & get a ring that will let you walk in normal speed in the blighttown swamp. You'll need anti poison herbs as well, which you can farm from the tree enemies in Darkroot garden or buy them from a merchant from the firelink/depths shortcut.

Ah, I was wondering if I can shoot off the dragon's tail. I only read advices that cutting off tails get you nice weapons, which I did with the gargoyles.

The graveyard with the skeletons...been trying to move farther in that area, but they're tough so I kinda stopped for a while.

I didnt know you could go back to the Undead Asylum. I'll figure it out :)

sixghost said:
Don't worry about getting all the weapons, your starting weapons like the short sword can be just as good as most weapons, and it will be tremendously better than the Drake Sword if you keep upgrading it.

Yeah I read that upgrading normal weapons are fairly good as well. I only found a few titanium chunks, I'll keep them to upgrade better weapons I'll pick up later.

Sounds like the things I've missed are ones that I am aware which I haven't dealt with yet or just ignored for the moment, it's good to know that I am in the right path :)

Thanks everyone!

Argh. Then that was my problem. I'd like to equip a freakin' good weapon. Should I just concentrate on distributing my points to Stength and Dexterity now? In order to equip better weapons.

yeah but there's no need to go crazy about it. for example the Iaito only requires a str of 14 and dex of 20, yet a lightning Iaito+5 will easily see you through to NG+. Something always to consider is not just the damage rating of a weapon but it's speed and stamina use. A great axe hits hard but is so slow for each hit you might be able to get in 3 hits with an Iaito in the same amount of time.

Look through your inventory for weapons you think you'd like to be able to use and aim for those stats but no more unless you are planning to really push something for scaling. It can take quite a few points in a stat for scaling on a regular weapon to overcome an elemental damage weapon that has no scaling.

I am aware there is a lower part. I am assuming you have to beat that dark knight with the bigass curved sword at the bottom of the circular stairwell. I've been meaning to beat him.

Ah, I was wondering if I can shoot off the dragon's tail. I only read advices that cutting off tails get you nice weapons, which I did with the gargoyles.

on the first one, nope that knight is not connected to lower undeadburg. kill him by all means, but entry is just via a door
get the "basement key" from outside the church in undead parish (it's on the church's side of the portcullis) and use it to open a door where you first come down to the dragon bridge from Taurus demon.

regarding the dragon, if you are unable to use a bow it's not impossible if you have a decent weapon to get the dragon to land in the middle of the bridge by wiggling around on the left hand alcove where you are safe from his fire attacks and basically just waiting for him to decide to come down. When he does run between his legs and whack away at his tail. Will probably take some practice, but if you are coming from the bonfire underneath the bridge there's not too much to worry about dying.

Troidal

on the first one, nope that knight is not connected to lower undeadburg. kill him by all means, but entry is just via a door
get the "basement key" from outside the church in undead parish (it's on the church's side of the portcullis) and use it to open a door where you first come down to the dragon bridge from Taurus demon.

regarding the dragon, if you are unable to use a bow it's not impossible if you have a decent weapon to get the dragon to land in the middle of the bridge by wiggling around on the left hand alcove where you are safe from his fire attacks and basically just waiting for him to decide to come down. When he does run between his legs and whack away at his tail. Will probably take some practice, but if you are coming from the bonfire underneath the bridge there's not too much to worry about dying.

Ah, forgot about that door. I should be able to head there then.

And I can use the bow, so I can just shoot his tail off ;)

This game is like crack. Can't play it on a weekday hehe...

Ah, forgot about that door. I should be able to head there then.

And I can use the bow, so I can just shoot his tail off ;)

This game is like crack. Can't play it on a weekday hehe...

you dont have to worry about the area with the skeletons for a while.

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the thorough responses and not getting annoyed by my elementary questions. I think I get it now. :)

dark souls gaf is really helpful. i think its the nature of the game, you feel like you are all in it together, against tough odds, without much explained to you. im playing through the game slowly (i live in a different state from my ps3) but i know what worked for me, so i dont mind sharing.

you dont have to worry about the area with the skeletons for a while.

dark souls gaf is really helpful. i think its the nature of the game, you feel like you are all in it together, against tough odds, without much explained to you. im playing through the game slowly (i live in a different state from my ps3) but i know what worked for me, so i dont mind sharing.

Yeah! I hope I can help you guys some day...but this just does not seem to be my game to help you on. Maybe on another one, in another thread. Ha.

Speaking of which...I've run into another problem. This is just irritating. I'm walking in
Lost Izalith
, and it's not too bad, until the floor collapses and I land in a poisonous swamp with leechy-looking enemies. I tried to grab as many items down there as possible before my inevitable death. The thing is, at the very end, it said something like Warning, Armor Is Damaged, or something. I thought that I just repair the equipment at the bonfire...but I think it's still damaged. I've never gotten this message, so I'm a little unclear with what to do.

malfcn

I am sad that I played all the way to Anor without ever being human. I don't know if I have another play through in me. My SL is around 130, and hours are in the 120s..

Yeah! I hope I can help you guys some day...but this just does not seem to be my game to help you on. Maybe on another one, in another thread. Ha.

Speaking of which...I've run into another problem. This is just irritating. I'm walking in
Lost Izalith
, and it's not too bad, until the floor collapses and I land in a poisonous swamp with leechy-looking enemies. I tried to grab as many items down there as possible before my inevitable death. The thing is, at the very end, it said something like Warning, Armor Is Damaged, or something. I thought that I just repair the equipment at the bonfire...but I think it's still damaged. I've never gotten this message, so I'm a little unclear with what to do.

Some enemies have acid attacks that damage your weapons.
You should be able to repair them normally, I think.

Booshka

Tried Fire Tempest on the three Drakes bunched up at the end of the bridge in the Valley of the Drakes, led to some toasted dragons.

Mognet

I agree that backstabbing should be saved for weapons like knives.

I hate to admit but I used to have sooo much fun in Demon's Souls with my stealth build! it's a shame that there's no Thief Ring or Cloak spell in DkS. d:

I agree that backstabbing should be saved for weapons like knives.

I hate to admit but I used to have sooo much fun in Demon's Souls with my stealth build! it's a shame that there's no Thief Ring or Cloak spell in DkS. d:

There is Hidden body, hidden weapon, fog ring, slumbering ring, hush & chameleon. A lot of stealth builds.

Tonight on Dark Souls: Black Phantoms that hide next to Titanite demons, and the hosts who go after them.

I mean, seriously. How many times does this have to happen?

Really? Huh, maybe I did something wrong. I will try it again. Thanks.

there's two warnings: weapon is about to break and weapon broken. both will also be indicated by an icon for the weapon with a red down arrow appearing under the stamina bar. if there's nothing there you're good to go. weapon might be a wand or pyro glove etc. they usually have pretty low durability so if you get caught in eg. gaping dragons acid vomit they're the first to go.

maomaoIYP

Tonight on Dark Souls: Black Phantoms that hide next to Titanite demons, and the hosts who go after them.

I mean, seriously. How many times does this have to happen?

Are you a patient man? Because two can play that game. Walk around the corner where he can't see you and the Titanite demon isn't coming for you. And wait. Sooner or later, the black phantom will have to come after you.....where you are waiting to give him a nice backstab.

Are you a patient man? Because two can play that game. Walk around the corner where he can't see you and the Titanite demon isn't coming for you. And wait. Sooner or later, the black phantom will have to come after you.....where you are waiting to give him a nice backstab.

i'm the patient type but i keep co-oping with hosts who aren't

PhatSaqs

Banned
Absolutley love it when I stumble upon a new area. Watchtower basement was a nice surprise. Game of the gen for me. Love this game and hope it never ends.

Lost Izalith

depending on what weapons you want to build you should fix your stuff, equip for the swamp and head back there. there are a few items down in that swamp that you may want. there is a way to fall to an intermediate level before entering the swamp, so...try to do that.

krakov

The decision to make the online part mostly anonymous is something I'd like to see in more games. I'm pretty sure I know every item location in the game, every single weapon attack pattern and so forth. Meeting other players still manage to surprise though.

Sullichin

I am sad that I played all the way to Anor without ever being human. I don't know if I have another play through in me. My SL is around 130, and hours are in the 120s..

120 hours, ha! After you double that number you'll still be playing. New character builds, NG+[+++].. you'll be back.

Speaking of NG+, stupid question but is there any way to tell what NG cycle you are on? I can't remember if my one dude is in NG+ or NG++.. sad, I know. Maybe I can deduce it by the number of souls enemies give me.

can someone explain why the "Scamco" in |OT| title? been trying to find explanation, but could not. #puzzled

<can't use item gesture>
No Idea. I've been complaining/asking about this for a few OTs now.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
can someone explain why the "Scamco" in |OT| title? been trying to find explanation, but could not. #puzzled

Namco's DLC practices didn't make them a lot of friends this generation and Scamco is a catchy pejorative. This thread can be considered a demonstrative example, but this post seems to be the oldest usage of Scamco indexed by GAF's search. From a quick scan of the frequency of the term's usage it appears to have been in use before this generation but grew dramatically in popularity over the last few years.

Sullichin

Namco's DLC practices didn't make them a lot of friends this generation and Scamco is a catchy pejorative. This thread can be considered a demonstrative example, but this post seems to be the oldest usage of Scamco indexed by GAF's search. From a quick scan of the frequency of the term's usage it appears to have been in use before this generation but grew dramatically in popularity over the last few years.

Dampierre being Best Buy exclusive DLC, now I can see Scamco|OT| for that. But Dark Souls?

ixix

Dampierre being Best Buy exclusive DLC, now I can see Scamco|OT| for that. But Dark Souls?

Publishing a single game can scarcely be expected to repair a reputation years in the making.

The title is also a direct reference to the 1.05 patch, which was quite late to release outside of Japan. I don't know exactly how much of that was due to Namco Bandai, but as the international publisher it's pretty safe to assume it was a fair amount.

Mike M

Nick N
I swear that returning to the asylum is something they only added after play testing revealed that it was possible to reach the upper levels of Firelink Shrine, because getting up there sure doesn't SEEM like it was intentional. Roll off a ledge onto a tiny little stretch of masonry, then walk forward until you hit an invisible wall and roll through it to advance? Have a hard time believing that was planned...

The worst part is that I can't seem to line up that second roll correctly, I always fall off and have to go back to start all over.

Unless there's some other way?

Soulhouf

The title is also a direct reference to the 1.05 patch, which was quite late to release outside of Japan. I don't know exactly how much of that was due to Namco Bandai, but as the international publisher it's pretty safe to assume it was a fair amount.

Dark Souls has nothing to do with Namco. I am sure that they are begging right now FROM Soft to make payed DLC.
But the reason is that since there aren't any profit to make from the 1.05 patch (they where scared of the fees Microsoft could charge them as well), they didn't bother bringing it immediately.

Sullichin

Publishing a single game can scarcely be expected to repair a reputation years in the making.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but the OT title could better reflect the nature of the game it's about, without resorting to immature name puns about the publisher. And yeah 1.05 was pretty late coming, I was waiting anxiously for that.

I swear that returning to the asylum is something they only added after play testing revealed that it was possible to reach the upper levels of Firelink Shrine, because getting up there sure doesn't SEEM like it was intentional. Roll off a ledge onto a tiny little stretch of masonry, then walk forward until you hit an invisible wall and roll through it to advance? Have a hard time believing that was planned...

The worst part is that I can't seem to line up that second roll correctly, I always fall off and have to go back to start all over.

There's no invisible wall you need to roll through. Seems pretty intentional to me, i'm sure there's a video on youtube showing it.

ixix

Dark Souls has nothing to do with Namco. I am sure that they are begging right now FROM Soft to make payed DLC.
But the reason is that since there aren't any profit to make from the 1.05 patch (they where scared of the fees Microsoft could charge them as well), they didn't bother bringing it immediately.

Namco Bandai is the international publisher. I think that counts as having something to do with the game.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but the OT title could better reflect the nature of the game it's about, without resorting to immature name puns about the publisher. And yeah 1.05 was pretty late coming, I was waiting anxiously for that.

I'm not trying to defend the thread title here, for the record, I was just trying to explain how the Scamco terminology came about. I don't refer to Namco Bandai as Scamco myself, and I'm not particularly inclined to start.

MrWisker

???

Invisible wall? Never had to deal with one of those going back to the asylum. With the open section of the elevator going to the undead parish and one single to some ledge that lead to a set of stairs at which at the end is a birds nest. I am pretty sure this was an area developers had in mind from the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U124cfA6Vbw

Mike M

Nick N
???

Invisible wall? Never had to deal with one of those going back to the asylum. With the open section of the elevator going to the undead parish and one single to some ledge that lead to a set of stairs at which at the end is a birds nest. I am pretty sure this was an area developers had in mind from the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U124cfA6Vbw

You can see him bumping against it about 57 seconds into that video. Not really a wall so much as an incline that you can't walk up. Though by watching that, apparently all you have to do is run to get up.

That's how OTs work in gaf unless it's some obscure game that no one knows about.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Doing a SL1 playthrough. Hard, but not as hard as I figured it would be. Guess the game is more accommodating to these kinds of playthroughs than most games, though. Just beat 4 Kings and I don't figure there will be much of anything tougher than that at SL1.

It cool that Kaarthe has unique dialog for when you beat 4 kings before ringing both bells.

Kinda want to do some invading while keeping my gear at a reasonable level. Maybe just a unupgraded balder's/hollow warrior set or something. Invading with uber gear and my +15 pyro flame seems a little too boring/assholish for my tastes. Sort of assuming I'll mostly run into NG+ people who will slaughter me though.

I wonder how well I would do at invading Sen's or Anor Londo playing a super-annoying hide-behind-monsters game, haha.

Sullichin

Doing a SL1 playthrough. Hard, but not as hard as I figured it would be. Guess the game is more accommodating to these kinds of playthroughs than most games, though. Just beat 4 Kings and I don't figure there will be much of anything tougher than that at SL1.

It cool that Kaarthe has unique dialog for when you beat 4 kings before ringing both bells.

Kinda want to do some invading while keeping my gear at a reasonable level. Maybe just a unupgraded balder's/hollow warrior set or something. Invading with uber gear and my +15 pyro flame seems a little too boring/assholish for my tastes. Sort of assuming I'll mostly run into NG+ people who will slaughter me though.

I wonder how well I would do at invading Sen's or Anor Londo playing a super-annoying hide-behind-monsters game, haha.

Sen's is my favorite place to invade. So good. I do really well invading at SL15 in Sens, i'm sure you can do well at SL1 too, tricking people into traps and off ledges, setting narrow corridors on fire, hiding behind fog doors... it's the best. The fire-boulder throwing giant outside will target the host (and his fire won't hurt you), so he can help you track down the host. The best is when I dropped down ontop of someone with a lunging attack from the broken bridge while they were fighting balder knights.

Booshka

Sen's is my favorite place to invade. So good. I do really well invading at SL15 in Sens, i'm sure you can do well at SL1 too, tricking people into traps and off ledges, setting narrow corridors on fire, hiding behind fog doors... it's the best. The fire-boulder throwing giant outside will target the host (and his fire won't hurt you), so he can help you track down the host. The best is when I dropped down ontop of someone with a lunging attack from the broken bridge while they were fighting balder knights.

I pulled off a plunging attack from one of the top walkways all the way to the pit with the titanite demons, killed the host then immediately died from the fall. There was a phantom in the game watching it all who looked extremely confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom