• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just nailed Pinwheel with 4 hits of my Zweihander. First boss I've beaten on my first try.

it feels so good to beat bosses on your first try. i havent fought pinwheel yet, but i got quelaag and centipede on first try.

for me there have been three classes of bosses. easy-ish (those i beat on the first or second try); manageable (took me a few tries but i knew i could do it - for me this was firesage, iron golem, most of them, frankly); and rage inducing (some people say sif is the easiest boss in teh game, but i really struggled with him).

Mike M

Nick N
Only boss I've beaten on my first try (Well, aside from the asylum demon) was the Bell Gargoyles. I was mentally prepared for a tough fight, but with Solaire in tow I just wrecked their shit like nothing else. I was actually taken aback at how easy it was. Not even sure I could repeat it since I didn't have the opportunity to internalize the fight and figure it out. Heh.

Only boss I've beaten on my first try (Well, aside from the asylum demon) was the Bell Gargoyles. I was mentally prepared for a tough fight, but with Solaire in tow I just wrecked their shit like nothing else. I was actually taken aback at how easy it was. Not even sure I could repeat it since I didn't have the opportunity to internalize the fight and figure it out. Heh.

i initially fought the gargoyles with the hand axe the pyromancer starts with. i think it took off like 11 hp per hit. i promptly died, leveled once or twice until i could use the halberd and then destroyed them easily.

Mognet

Looking at my trophy list, it took me 6 hours to ring the first bell and that's all thanks to the Gargoyles.

ASHAMED.

Sullichin

I wish Pinwheel had like a 4x increase in health. I don't even really know what its attacks look like. And I only get to hear about 4 bars of the badass song that plays before I DEFEATED. For a boss that lets you kindle your bonfires further, he sure doesn't put up much of a fight. Also his boss room looks like Ripper Roo's from Crash Bandicoot (this is not a complaint.)

I also wouldn't mind if this boss was the only way in a playthrough to get one of the pinwheel masks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Great stuff. I guess now it's time to return to Anor Londo and see what awaits behind the white light in that big room with 2 statues and a sniper.

Booshka

It's fun to poison someone right at the start of a fight so you get to see a running tally of the damage you have to do to them. I was fighting an Estus Chugger, so I ended up having to do 7000+ damage until I finally killed him. I've been messing around with a backstab to Fire Tempest wakeup attack that works pretty well, right after I backstab them I walk toward them and cast it as they are getting up, catch them most of the time.

Someone remind me what my options are once I've been cursed. I went in completely unprepared against Seath.

another option: beat seath while cursed because he is easy. worry about getting rid of curse later.

The ones in Ash Lake also work, right?

you can also buy purging stones at a couple of merchants (in the parish, in new londo) but if you are in the dukes archives fighting seath why would you leave to go to ash lake?

another option: beat seath while cursed because he is easy. worry about getting rid of curse later.

you can also buy purging stones at a couple of merchants (in the parish, in new londo) but if you are in the dukes archives fighting seath why would you leave to go to ash lake?

It's easy to get back there since I've unlocked all the Duke's shortcuts. But yeah, you do have a point.

Booshka

Technically you could warp to the Stone Dragon bonfire, farm the three clams, then homeward bone back to the Duke's Archives bonfire, rinse and repeat. It would be pretty silly, but there would be less resistance doing it that way.

Were the Four Kings of New Londo supposed to be hard? I just blew through them on my second try. I was able to get 4 hits off before I had to block or roll some damage away, and it only took 4-5 hits to kill each King. Did I just get lucky? My First try the Kings would try and hug me every chance they got, on my second they didn't even try.

Anyway, Now I'm going towards Seath and am making considerable progress. Did the patch do anything to the Duke's Archives? I also have heard that this is one of the hardest places in the game.

Quick edit: Where to next after I down Seath?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
FINALLY completed it. Been playing since Day 1....

Took 85 hours.
Had a horrendeous start, pre-patch accidentally hitting Andre the blacksmith and wasting hours upon hours to purchase the souls required for absolution. And then 2 days later, a patch comes out that cuts souls by 1/5th. Oh well.

Amazing game. A few too-frustrating elements, but GOTY, and still no other experience out there like it (fun factor I'd give to Demon's, but still brilliant).

I walked right out the door for the "good" (Dark) ending with soul in hand.

Were the Four Kings of New Londo supposed to be hard? I just blew through them on my second try. I was able to get 4 hits off before I had to block or roll some damage away, and it only took 4-5 hits to kill each King. Did I just get lucky? My First try the Kings would try and hug me every chance they got, on my second they didn't even try.

Anyway, Now I'm going towards Seath and am making considerable progress. Did the patch do anything to the Duke's Archives? I also have heard that this is one of the hardest places in the game.

Yeah the first time I tried fighting 4K by wearing light armor and rolling around to avoid their attacks, that didn't go well at all. The second time I just walked up in full havel armor, 2-handed a Claymore and wailed on them till they died.

Duke's Archives have deceivingly strong enemies. While the crystal soldiers don't have any fancy attacks, they have really good defense and do a scary amount of damage when buffed by Channellers, so don't get swarmed. The Channellers have really powerful projectile attacks that WILL hit you and take huge chunks of your health if you don't watch out for them. Duke's Archives actually feels like a wake-up call stage for the player, the enemies and stage setup is similar to Undead Burg, as if the developers are saying "back to basics".

Yeah the first time I tried fighting 4K by wearing light armor and rolling around to avoid their attacks, that didn't go well at all. The second time I just walked up in full havel armor, 2-handed a Claymore and wailed on them till they died.

Duke's Archives have deceivingly strong enemies. While the crystal soldiers don't have any fancy attacks, they have really good defense and do a scary amount of damage when buffed by Channellers, so don't get swarmed. The Channellers have really powerful projectile attacks that WILL hit you and take huge chunks of your health if you don't watch out for them. Duke's Archives actually feels like a wake-up call stage for the player, the enemies and stage setup is similar to Undead Burg, as if the developers are saying "back to basics".

Yea, The Channellers were they only thing to give me any trouble in that part, their projectile was easy to avoid but when it did hit I felt the need to flask. But the only thing annoying me now is the Crystal Cave. >.> I don't like the developers choice in this area..

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FINALLY completed it. Been playing since Day 1....

Took 85 hours.
Had a horrendeous start, pre-patch accidentally hitting Andre the blacksmith and wasting hours upon hours to purchase the souls required for absolution. And then 2 days later, a patch comes out that cuts souls by 1/5th. Oh well.

Amazing game. A few too-frustrating elements, but GOTY, and still no other experience out there like it (fun factor I'd give to Demon's, but still brilliant).

I walked right out the door for the "good" (Dark) ending with soul in hand.

Hey, I remember you posting way back when the inadvertent Andre assault occurred. I'm glad to hear you managed to make it through that kerfuffle alright.

I'm totally in the camp that says the Dark Lord ending is the bad one.

While the crystal soldiers don't have any fancy attacks, they have really good defense and do a scary amount of damage when buffed by Channellers, so don't get swarmed.

the channelers buff the crystal soldiers? also, dukes archives is one of my favorite areas in the game. cant put my finger on why, but i really like it.

Quick edit: Where to next after I down Seath?

have you done demons ruins and lost izalith yet?

i think four kings are one of the easiest bosses. i had the same experience as some others here. died my first time (almost immediately, i dont think i even got a hit in) second time i geared up, brought iron flesh, and destroyed them. even the hugging attack wasnt that bad.

Yea, The Channellers were they only thing to give me any trouble in that part, their projectile was easy to avoid but when it did hit I felt the need to flask. But the only thing annoying me now is the Crystal Cave. >.> I don't like the developers choice in this area..

what does everyone hate about the crystal cave? i thought it was a fine area. the clams are a little tough, but you can run past them easily enough if you just want to get to the boss.

the channelers buff the crystal soldiers?

when they do their funny dance the crystal dreglings will get a haze around them to show they're buffed. the one in the depths does it to the rats. if you get a channeler's trident you can do the same to your co-op partners with the 2hand heavy attack - works even if you don't have the stats to wield it as a weapon.

when they do their funny dance the crystal dreglings will get a haze around them to show they're buffed. the one in the depths does it to the rats. if you get a channeler's trident you can do the same to your co-op partners with the 2hand heavy attack - works even if you don't have the stats to wield it as a weapon.

i had no idea. those crystal guys can hit like trucks though. fortunately their attacks are easy to avoid.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey, I remember you posting way back when the inadvertent Andre assault occurred. I'm glad to hear you managed to make it through that kerfuffle alright.

I'm totally in the camp that says the Dark Lord ending is the bad one.

The whole Darkmoon thing just makes be believe it's all a lie. A cycle perpetuated to keep these
god-like beings in power. To continue the old way. Kill the remaining dietys, break the cycle, and usher in the age of man and all that. "Dark" just meaning 'unknown,' really, since the light of the gods is out. But that doesn't mean it's bad. Killing Nito and not linking the flame so they get to come back may actually break the Darksign curse anyway

malfcn

Something that bothered me is why is Seath in the Archive and the Cave? At the same time.

Went back to the archive to rescue Logan. He is gone. Wtf.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's just like, he can't give you any more answers until you grab the lordvessel, etc. IIRC.

Plus he tells you to go get the lordvessel and stuff.

Something that bothered me is why is Seath in the Archive and the Cave? At the same time.

The first area where you get killed by him is in a lower part of the crystal cave. When you get near his immortality crystal he flies up to protect it.

Mike M

Nick N
Just achieved a total "OMFG, that worked?" victory over the Stray Demon. The first attempt, he immediately whacked me with his club as soon as I landed from the fall for instadeath.

So for my second attempt, I tried rolling across the floor in the hopes of reducing fall damage and landing closer to the pillars where I might have enough refuge time to chug an Estus flask. And hey, waddya know, it worked.

Worked so well, he apparently didn't notice me since he was just pacing back and forth. So I unloaded some dung pies on him, which didn't provoke him, but did poison him. Not wanting to jeopardize my risk-free damage infliction I was achieving, I waited out the poison. And waited. And waited.

Took like 10 minutes, but lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of his health without ever noticing me. Wish I had more dung pies : ( Instead, I ran up to him, used Iron Flesh and fire orbed him to death with my +15 pyromancer's flame, which worked but I probably got extremely lucky.

I found the entire return to the asylum to be incredibly depressing, especially watching the knight who helped you earlier get up and come try and kill you : (. This game's lore confuses the hell out of me, when people die, they come back as hostile hollows... Except you. Probably because you're some chosen one or something, I suppose...

MechaX

I wish Pinwheel had like a 4x increase in health. I don't even really know what its attacks look like. And I only get to hear about 4 bars of the badass song that plays before I DEFEATED. For a boss that lets you kindle your bonfires further, he sure doesn't put up much of a fight. Also his boss room looks like Ripper Roo's from Crash Bandicoot (this is not a complaint.)

I also wouldn't mind if this boss was the only way in a playthrough to get one of the pinwheel masks.

I feel like Pinwheel is a boss you are supposed to fight so much earlier despite his location. It's like From intended for players to just randomly wander into the Catacombs before or slightly after ringing the second bell, and just turn back when they get barred from going into the Tomb of Giants. The biggest problem is that people are most likely going to only go to the Catacombs after getting the lordvessel and at that point, Pinwheel (and the entirety of the Catacombs for that matter) is pretty trivial.

I found the entire return to the asylum to be incredibly depressing, especially watching the knight who helped you earlier get up and come try and kill you : (. This game's lore confuses the hell out of me, when people die, they come back as hostile hollows... Except you. Probably because you're some chosen one or something, I suppose...

No everyone is already dead, including you.
You just slowly turn insane/hollow.

Grinchy

Banned
Funny enough I never lost against Capra or Four Kings but Pinwheel got me once...

Four Kings owned the shit out of me until I decided to just level myself up to 85 and solo them. I was trying to kill them too early for my build, I suspect. Capra has never really been an issue for me.

Sullichin

Saw this great piano cover of Gwyn's theme on r/darksouls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQUEtSRLEE

Sounds very much like the one on the OST since it's all piano anyway, but still very cool nonetheless. Probably my favorite song on the soundtrack. Cool that there's so much fan content for this game. I fully expect to see some Dark Souls cosplay at PAX.

Beaulieu

I feel like Pinwheel is a boss you are supposed to fight so much earlier despite his location. It's like From intended for players to just randomly wander into the Catacombs before or slightly after ringing the second bell, and just turn back when they get barred from going into the Tomb of Giants. The biggest problem is that people are most likely going to only go to the Catacombs after getting the lordvessel and at that point, Pinwheel (and the entirety of the Catacombs for that matter) is pretty trivial.

I think I'm pretty far from ringing the second bell, just finished the depths, and I went in the catacombs. I killed the boss very fuckin fast anyways. And I dont have a good weapon / good gear, it's my first playthorugh and Im mostly improvising.

After killing him, I proceeded to fall down to my death in the very dark area over the boss room. Which is a tombstone.

embalm

Is anyone interested in trying to figure out if the Pendant can do anything?

I'm thinking that we could create a sort of checklist of things we think may trigger it. Then as we attempt them we check it off the list.

So if there is interest share things you've tried and I can manage the full list of things we want to try and have already completed.

Mike M

Nick N
No everyone is already dead, including you.
You just slowly turn insane/hollow.

Yeah, I got that much, but it seems weird that when anyone ELSE goes hollow, they go evil right away, but I spend most of my time running around hollowed with no ill effect.

This game's lore is simultaneously unique and maddeningly opaque.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I need some input about weapons. In general I'm pretty happy with my Lightning Zweihänder +5 but against some of the faster enemies it's just too slow and I end up dying a lot. Which of the faster weapons is worth upgrading? My character has STR 40 and DEX 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom