• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some input about weapons. In general I'm pretty happy with my Lightning Zweihänder +5 but against some of the faster enemies it's just too slow and I end up dying a lot. Which of the faster weapons is worth upgrading? My character has STR 40 and DEX 20.

Make a Lightning Iaito.

I need some input about weapons. In general I'm pretty happy with my Lightning Zweihänder +5 but against some of the faster enemies it's just too slow and I end up dying a lot. Which of the faster weapons is worth upgrading? My character has STR 40 and DEX 20.

claymore is similar to the zwei but a bit faster, it's moveset is more like a regular straight sword. iaito is very fast too. do you use magic or miracles? a +14/+15 claymore with a buff on is pretty deadly and takes some advantage of your 40 str.

So I picked this up again, after only having Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants to really do and kind of stopping because I was stuck at the Demon Firesage. Now I've acquired all the Lord Souls, and am about to do a little Kiln grinding to get some blacksmith chunks.

On my pre-New Game Plus bucketlist I've already:

-Farmed baby skeletons for humanity
-Kindled all the bonfires I want to in preparation for New Game+
-Found and used all the slabs in the game, have upgraded to maximum about half of the weapon trees.

Is there anything else I should do, besides the wholesale slaughter of all the people that have been helpful and nice to me just to get their humanity and souls before I move on to New Game Plus?

Also, if I kill
Gwyndolin
this game, will I be able to join the respective covenant in Plus? Because that covenant is my favorite.

Is there anything else I should do, besides the wholesale slaughter of all the people that have been helpful and nice to me just to get their humanity and souls before I move on to New Game Plus?

Also, if I kill
Gwyndolin
this game, will I be able to join the respective covenant in Plus? Because that covenant is my favorite.

Killing her does not affect anything in your next playthrough.
Generally, people start playing pvp at the end of the game when they have everything. The Kiln is the biggest hotspot for that besides the forest.

Killing here does not affect anything in your next playthrough.
Generally, people start playing pvp at the end of the game when they have everything. The Kiln is the biggest hotspot for that besides the forest.

Yep, just found that out. Some guy invaded me as I was farming chunks. Beat him though. Huzzah, I don't suck!

CatPee

Roleplaying as Tarkus and walking around slow as a turtle with the full Black Iron armor, shield, and a Greatsword is so fun in PvP.

I like the non-ultra greatswords a lot. Try a Claymore or buy a Bastard Sword from Andre and upgrade them. Black Knight Sword/Greataxe would also suit your high strength well.

After 82 hours of play, I have finally beaten Dark Souls! Yay me!

Now onward to New Game Plus for a while, before I start a new Paladin-oriented character.

Booshka

Man-Serpent Greatsword +15, Claymore +15 will serve you well, if you have that much STR you should be taking all STR weapons to Normal reinforcement for scaling purposes, even a Zweihander at +15 would be better. Demon Great Machete, Large Club, Great Club are all great weapons at +15 as well, they are slow, but your hits will be devastating.

Claymore +15 or Man-Serpent Greatsword +15 for quicker weapons than Zweihander. Don't go elemental with that high of weapon stats, scaling will be better for you and pure physical is better than splitting the damage.

malfcn

Wow. I haven't had a shitty death (or one that caused a great loss of souls in a long time.) Until I was in Lava, accidentally removed my ring and poof, died while hollow. There went 200,000 souls. D'oh! Bed of Chaos is pretty stupid too.

Wow. I haven't had a shitty death (or one that caused a great loss of souls in a long time.) Until I was in Lava, accidentally removed my ring and poof, died while hollow. There went 200,000 souls. D'oh! Bed of Chaos is pretty stupid too.

I lost 4.5 million souls and 99 humanity fucking around in blighttown just 3 weeks ago. Walk it off. P

Booshka

I am all good. Now, getting invaded by some prick that just spams WoG is worse. That stuff is so broken.

Roll through it, then backstab them. Or get the Crest Shield, upgrade it to +5 and block that shit. It's not too tough if you are equipped to deal with it.

I don't really care when I lose a lot of souls, but the humanity is far worse, all that defense you get for 99 humanity is very valuable, and it takes longer to get back than souls. If you have a ton of souls on you, you aren't leveling anyway, so it doesn't matter if you lose them.

EDIT: Over 10,000 damage attack vid I just stumbled upon, impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSNV...&context=G2bbf913FAAAAAAAAAAA&feature=g-all-c

Soulhouf

EDIT: Over 10,000 damage attack vid I just stumbled upon, impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSNV...&context=G2bbf913FAAAAAAAAAAA&feature=g-all-c

Ok, so this is the damage you do when you combine power within + hornet ring + trident dance?
Also why is he using Artorias greatsword? He can do more damage with Demon great Axe/machette + darkmoon blade. Unless Artorias has a special effect/buff in that regard.

Anyway that's impressive. I didn't know you could do so much damage.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Thanks for the suggestions! I kinda have the same problem with my gear and shield. My lvl 92, 40str, 20dex character still uses a Spider Shield +10 and I'm always switching between the Dingy, Gold Hemmed or Stone Armor set. I'm a pyromancer and I would like to find a balance between high defense but still be able to roll and run at a decent speed.

krakov

Ok, so this is the damage you do when you combine power within + hornet ring + trident dance?
Also why is he using Artorias greatsword? He can do more damage with Demon great Axe/machette + darkmoon blade. Unless Artorias has a special effect/buff in that regard.

Anyway that's impressive. I didn't know you could do so much damage.

Also Dragon Roar. I guess maybe the Artorias sword does a bit of extra damage against skeletons as it's divine? These kind of high damage videos seem to always be skeletons and Artorias.

Sullichin

Lost 3 million souls and like 40 humanity last week, my blood stain must have fallen through the floor or something in the Kiln, it was nowhere to be found. At what point does humanity stop affecting your defense? I think I have the same defense at 30 humanity and 40, not sure though. Sitting on 4.9 million souls now. Fun meta game to build it up. only thing I buy anymore is dung pies and stamina grass. I'm sure something stupid will happen, like.. I'll fall asleep while playing. It's happened before.
kamorra said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I kinda have the same problem with my gear and shield. My lvl 92, 40str, 20dex character still uses a Spider Shield +10 and I'm always switching between the Dingy, Gold Hemmed or Stone Armor set. I'm a pyromancer and I would like to find a balance between high defense but still be able to roll and run at a decent speed.
Mix and match. I'd add elite knight, paladin, giants to the mix. Dark wood grain ring. Also definitely get the black knight greataxe when you can, and if your pyro glove isn't ascended +5, do that

Soulhouf

Lost 3 million souls and like 40 humanity last week, my blood stain must have fallen through the floor or something in the Kiln, it was nowhere to be found. At what point does humanity stop affecting your defense? I think I have the same defense at 30 humanity and 40, not sure though. Sitting on 4.9 million souls now. Fun meta game to build it up. only thing I buy anymore is dung pies and stamina grass. I'm sure something stupid will happen, like.. I'll fall asleep while playing. It's happened before.

The lower your level, the more humanity will increase your defense, and it does not stop until 99 humanities.
At level 1 for example, each humanity will add at least 1 to your defense (phy, mag, fire and light).

Also the disappearing blood stain happened to me once in Kiln. It was still there but invisible. If you remember where you lost it you can scan the area spamming X button until you find it.

Mike M

Nick N
Took down the butterfly yesterday. I summoned the NPC phantom, but she shot one soul arrow spell (which missed), and that was the her sole contribution to the fight that I could see (She may have gotten more hits in that i didn't see, but I didn't hear any more spells). I tried pyromancy, but I don't know if I ever actually hit him, there was a lot of glowing going on that made it hard to see damage points.

Eventually he just... Laid his head on the walkway and stopped moving, so I took the opportunity to kill him until he died from it with my claymore.

What a weird fight... Was it supposed to go down like that?

cj_iwakura

Found a whole thread of great art at GameFAQs, but this one is my favorite:

tumblr_lz3qerObRy1qjnbtgo1_500.jpg

Either that or:

uMM87.jpg

That was a really sad point in the game for me, he's my favourite npc.

...my sun.. it's setting.. ;_;

the other path is almost as sad, but at least he can take it out on Gwyn. Last time I did that fight Solaire went mad on the backstabs and totally destroyed him.

Booshka

Thinking about starting a Princess Guard Co-Op build.
Start as Cleric.
48 Faith
16 Attunement

Everything else at base stats to be at level 41

Use Princess Guard Ring, and Ring of the First Sun. Run, dodge and roll like a coward while I cast badass healing miracles.

Thinking about starting a Princess Guard Co-Op build.
Start as Cleric.
48 Faith
16 Attunement

Everything else at base stats to be at level 41

Use Princess Guard Ring, and Ring of the First Sun. Run, dodge and roll like a coward while I cast badass healing miracles.

i've thought about that, dedicated co-op healer/buffer could be cool -- if you get a channeler's trident you'll still be able to cast the buff without the required stats to use it as a weapon. a lot of hosts don't seem to know what it does though and run through the fog while you're still dancing.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I've read on the Dark Souls Wiki that you shouldn't level stats past 40. I know that stamina won't get any better after reaching 40END but is this true for all stats?

Booshka

I've read on the Dark Souls Wiki that you shouldn't level stats past 40. I know that stamina won't get any better after reaching 40END but is this true for all stats?

It's true for a lot of stats, STR and DEX stop scaling well after 40, Faith and Intelligence also stop scaling well after 40, but if you want to use high level spells you need it up to 50. Vitality is still very good up until 50 though. Attunement stops being worth it after 19 or 23 imo, but going from 9-10 slots is 8 levels worth so it is really bad past ~30.

I don't suggest leveling Endurance, Strength or Dexterity past 40 though, unless you are making a build where you need to.

Resistance ironically becomes amazing after level 40
j/k

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
It's true for a lot of stats, STR and DEX stop scaling well after 40, Faith and Intelligence also stop scaling well after 40, but if you want to use high level spells you need it up to 50. Vitality is still very good up until 50 though. Attunement stops being worth it after 19 or 23 imo, but going from 9-10 slots is 8 levels worth so it is really bad past ~30.

I don't suggest leveling Endurance, Strength or Dexterity past 40 though, unless you are making a build where you need to.

Resistance ironically becomes amazing after level 40
j/k

Thanks.
My new stats are
Vit 20
Att 26 (I want to put another point on it to get one more slot)
End 42 (Wasted 2 points, will not put any more in. Probably the same with Str)
Str 42
Dex 20
Res 12
Int 10
Faith 8

I really like my pyromancer/knight hybrid so the only stat worth to level up would be Vit?

edit
Is the Red Soapstone just a more honorable form of invading?

Booshka

Thanks.
My new stats are
Vit 20
Att 26 (I want to put another point on it to get one more slot)
End 42 (Wasted 2 points, will not put any more in. Probably the same with Str)
Str 42
Dex 20
Res 12
Int 10
Faith 8

I really like my pyromancer/knight hybrid so the only stat worth to level up would be Vit?

edit
Is the Red Soapstone just a more honorable form of invading?

Just put one more point into attunement for another slot, then focus solely on Vitality.

And yes you are right about the red soapstone, it usually leads to more fair duels and is a way of organizing PvP and trades among players.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Just put one more point into attunement for another slot, then focus solely on Vitality.

And yes you are right about the red soapstone, it usually leads to more fair duels and is a way of organizing PvP and trades among players.

Nice, thank you! I wish there was some better way to co-op with you guys. I'm just getting killed invaded from other players. :/

Sullichin

Just started a SL1 character and rushed quelagg first for the hell of it. That didn't work out so well. with pyro starting gear you do like 16damage per hit and she can one shot you. :D

Booshka

Gravelording TotG makes me wish you got some kind of message or something after one of your BPs kills someone, lol.

It really should, I got summoned into a player's NG+ in the TotG and he had BP Skelly Dogs, took 2 Chaos fireballs and then an arrow to kill one, I got hit by one of em' and it did over a 1000 damage to me. I used all of my Chaos and Great Fireballs on them just to get past the area, the boss seemed easy in comparison. The guy sent me a message of thanks telling me how he was stuck there for over an hour with those BP skelly dogs kicking his ass.

aww man, i've been gravelorded at least a dozen times (most recently at firelink shrine, wtf?) and i have never to this day seen a black phantom mob. i'm desperately trying to find them now.

Just started a SL1 character and rushed quelagg first for the hell of it. That didn't work out so well. with pyro starting gear you do like 16damage per hit and she can one shot you. :D

hehe sounds like fun :) i ran down there with a cleric starter to get the butchers knife, thankfully i took a reinforced club - even un-upgraded that thing is an awesome early weapon thanks to bleed.

so anyway you guys were right about the 'burg, started a sorcerer character and i've spent about 5 hours on and off just sitting in the burg helping people out. I ran around this morning doing some upgrades and now with the dusk set, bellowing ring, and an enchanted estoc +4 everything is going smooth as. i know everybody is doing the BB glitch but i like to do it the hard way for some reason. Had to go up to SL7 to use the Estoc and Great Heavy Soul Arrow but still getting heaps of summons.

Will be a bit sad when I move on.

edit: i just want to add.. hearing the bell ring in undead parish will never not be cool.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Took down the butterfly yesterday. I summoned the NPC phantom, but she shot one soul arrow spell (which missed), and that was the her sole contribution to the fight that I could see (She may have gotten more hits in that i didn't see, but I didn't hear any more spells). I tried pyromancy, but I don't know if I ever actually hit him, there was a lot of glowing going on that made it hard to see damage points.

Eventually he just... Laid his head on the walkway and stopped moving, so I took the opportunity to kill him until he died from it with my claymore.

What a weird fight... Was it supposed to go down like that?
Hehe, it's not supposed to go down exactly like that, but it is a weird fight.

My very first encounter with Moonlight Butterfly:
Stepped in alone (had no idea about summoning/being human at that point), with my bow at the ready thanks to a helpful "Try ranged attacks" message just before the fog.
She swoops in, flitters about while I nip at her with arrows, then proceeds to fly off somewhere out of sight.

The music was still playing, and I think I could still hear her, but couldn't for the life of me see where she went. Stuck around for a further confusing 5 minutes before quitting and trying again (took me a couple more goes after that ^^;)

I had a pretty fun PVP duel earlier today while I was playing. I was in the Undead Parish on NG+ and had turned human so I could summon Solaire for the Bell Gargoyle fight. Right as I'm freeing Lautrec, I get the invader notification. Instead of running around, I basically stand in the doorway of Lautrec's room and wait for the invader to arrive: it's a pyromancer with a big-ass scythe. The battle took like twenty minutes, and basically covered the entire area of the Parish. We dueled across the entire top floor, then he got low on health and dove through the opening to the bottom floor. I chased after him, but he rolled into the area with three knights that I hadn't cleared out since I was heading for the gargoyles, so I had to duel all three of them AND the invader at the same time. Ended up out on the outside of the parish, managed to kill the knights with my own pyromancy, dueled the invader some more, and finally ended up nailing the killing blow to him right in the center of the main room of the parish, where you normally find the Fire Keeper's Soul. Great way to end it.

Of course, then afterwards I anticlimactically got knocked off the roof by a tail sweep by the Bell Gargoyle. :| Oh well.

Raide

Have we got a more up-to-date number on the sales for Dark Souls? My mind is still racing with thoughts of how awesome Dark Souls 2 will be. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom