• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Alright duders, I've beat the Wolf with the Sword, the Butterfly, the ceaseless discharge, and the 2 dudes at Anor Londo.

Right now I have 3 locations left I assume (The Archives, The Lava area where you beat the ceaseless discharge, and something else)

How much do I still have left to finish the game? I'm around 43 hours with a 68 (I think) level character.

CatPee

I want to know if there's such a video with all enemies killed where someone walks through the entirety of the game just to show off its intricate level design. I imagine it would be tough but not impossible? Traveling the world, slaying everything without ever using a bonfire?

If I had a capture card I'd do it.

Man, playing as a SL120 sorcerer TAAARRRRRRKUUUSSSSSSS is so ridiculous. ~280 MagAdjust/Greatsword +15/Power Within = 800-1200 damage per hit on everything and everyone. Went from 20 humanity to 43 after a night of PvP with this guy.

sixghost

Alright duders, I've beat the Wolf with the Sword, the Butterfly, the ceaseless discharge, and the 2 dudes at Anor Londo.

Right now I have 3 locations left I assume (The Archives, The Lava area where you beat the ceaseless discharge, and something else)

How much do I still have left to finish the game? I'm around 43 hours with a 68 (I think) level character.

Actually 4 locations left. You have much more than you probably think. Duke's takes quite a while, Catacombs/TotG can be a stumbling point, the rest of Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith can be pretty so going, and New Londo is pretty quick if you aren't dying or getting lost a ton.

Probably about 10-15 hours?

Canova

Banned

I say you still miss 8 areas before the final level. 5 of those areas are required(archive, catacomb/tog, new londo, izalith), 3 are optionals, so another 20-25 hours maybe

Soulhouf

Me:

Fuck this game. Just lost mad souls to some bullshit. Can I even get human form? No, cuz this bitch ass game wants to throw hax everytime I have some humanity on deck. Oh, really, the hitbox on that thing is larger than it looks? It's already forty fucking feet long. How the hell does this game expect me to progress when everything is so dark and dreary?

What's this now? A fucking swamp with poisonous fecal matter comprising 80% of the surface? Great. On top of boulder throwing neanderthals and period spewing mosquitoes. What fresh hell is this? I have half a mind to snap the disc in half--

A bonfire?! Fuck yes. Great gameplay!!! Game of the year, all years!

Ignore those throwing boulder giants.
If you found the bonfire, the boss is about 2 minutes away.
You have some options to make this less frustrating:
- put the rust ring so that you can run in the swamp and skip pretty much everything.
- put the evil eye ring and you can compensate poison when you kill enemies (they will give you HP).
- if you have a crossbow/bow, those mosquitoes will no longer be a threat.

Mxrz

Took the advice and started blue orbing at the Klin. Managed to pick what I needed quickly, thanks! - I also had quite a bit of fun.

Mostly was invading the same four or five guys over and over. One guy beat me a few times, but after killed him a couple times he started summoning phantoms and ambushing. Bleh. - Another guy was really, really good with the Demon Spear. I managed to kill him once, somehow, but he mostly would hang back and just poke me. I couldn't land any solid hits with the great scythe. I switched to my crummy +10 divine Uchigatana and fared a little better, but we were just going in circles. Cool guy wouldn't attack until I healed up either. Maybe he was getting off on toying with me, but I appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

I need to pay attention to armor and poise more. Right now I have +9 Elite Knights & Hard Leathers, but that only gives about 0 to 30'ish poise. With Havel's ring and the flippy ring I noticed I could wear even the stone armor set and still be fast. Curious if the 100 Poise would make a bigger difference.

Do the stone fire/lightning rings help vs Lighting and fire weapons? I tried them tonight but I really couldn't tell a difference.

Apdiddy

If its the boss fight which is hard for you, there is an NPC you can summon. I think its summon sign should be close by.

I ended up summoning Tarkus and let him get thrown about lol and winning the battle. Then I tackled Sif again after levelling up/upgrading the Dragon Crest shield and finally beat him. I still need to pick up the advanced pyromancy spells since my build is more geared towards Vitality/Endurance than Intelligence/Faith.

The crappy thing is the first time I was about to fight the Iron Golem with the Knight Tarkus when....I got invaded by a jackass who backstabbed me. I'm still pissed about that. I messaged the dude about it pretty hot and he claimed to not "realize I was going straight for the gate." Yeah right.

Orayn

Started a new character last night - Aiming for a minimalist Lightning Zweihander build with 24 STR, 10 DEX, ~50 END, and all the rest in VIT. Was planning to use some stupidly heavy armor with Havel's Ring and Ring of Favor and Protection. (Aiming for <0.25 max equip weight)

T
Mostly was invading the same four or five guys over and over. One guy beat me a few times, but after killed him a couple times he started summoning phantoms and ambushing.

I have never seen a summon sign ever when I am being invaded. Do those people message each other to place a summon sign somewhere during invasions because by pure chance it seems impossible.

Deadstar

I use a +5 divine halberd. Is there a better weapon that scales with faith? I have super high faith, low strength dex, around level 130.

Soulhouf

I use a +5 divine halberd. Is there a better weapon that scales with faith? I have super high faith, low strength dex, around level 130.

Occult weapons scale well with faith.
You have also Crescent Axe and Dragon Slayer Spear which are very good.
But the best way to use your faith is normal weapon+15 buffed with Drakmoon Blade.

Edit: I forgot Grant which is an extremely powerful faith weapon but you will need a huge strength as well.

oracrest

I say you still miss 8 areas before the final level. 5 of those areas are required(archive, catacomb/tog, new londo, izalith), 3 are optionals, so another 20-25 hours maybe

Welcome back again, how many dozen playthroughs are you on now?

I am doing a few simultaneous playthroughs now, helping different friends on different systems. I am surprised at how many new things I am encountering after my first playthrough. I never battled the Giant Rat, got teh Gargoyle Helm, Fought the *asshole* outside of the firelink firekeeper, and all sorts of other stuff.

I'm still trying to do it mostly blindly, so the new encounters are still a surprise.

Deadstar

Occult weapons scale well with faith.
You have also Crescent Axe and Dragon Slayer Spear which are very good.
But the best way to use your faith is normal weapon+15 buffed with Drakmoon Blade.

Edit: I forgot Grant which is an extremely powerful faith weapon but you will need a huge strength as well.

Thanks. I might try out the dragonslayer spear. Right now I think my strength is around 16. Looks like I need 24 to use it one handed. I guess it will be worth using the next few level ups on strength though it will really have to be worth it as it will be 10 more levels just to use that weapon.

So what are the best weapons that scale with INT ?

that would be

Moonlight Greatsword

followed by Enchanted somethingorothers+5 with A scaling, or a +15 regular with somethingorother with the spell Crystal Magic Weapon cast on it. Moonlight Greatsword is real nice but you'll want to stock up on repair powders or slot the repair spell.

I have never seen a summon sign ever when I am being invaded. Do those people message each other to place a summon sign somewhere during invasions because by pure chance it seems impossible.

if you run back to the nearest bonfire you're quite likely to see them. i was grinding for souveniers in the depths at SL25 the other day and repeatedly got the same guys who turtled in the bonfire room summoning phantoms. not that i'm complaining, guilty of it myself.

Heh, I joined Gravelord Covenant (which in retrospect isn't very useful as I don't have many bosses left...) and suddently got cursed by someone else while walking through Undead Burg.

At least Gravelord Sword+5 is sort of good alternative for my Zweihander+10

chunk3rvd

Any recommendations for a good weapon to make divine +5 before I tackle the Catacombs? I have 16 STR and 24 DEX so that limits what I can equip

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ You can pick up an Occult Club in Anor Londo (
Mimic drop past the illusory wall
), which you can then revert back to Divine +5. The club's not great, but you should be able to down those skeletons in 2-3 hits (or one backstab/riposte).

Otherwise, the best advice I can give is listen to your heart...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually 4 locations left. You have much more than you probably think. Duke's takes quite a while, Catacombs/TotG can be a stumbling point, the rest of Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith can be pretty so going, and New Londo is pretty quick if you aren't dying or getting lost a ton.

Probably about 10-15 hours?
rofl

New Londo took me 10 hours. The remainder of the ones you mention took me about 10 hours combined :p

I helped out with Seath a few times after I killed him though, so it wasn't just plowing through.

maomaoIYP

Finally finished building an ultimate caster glass cannon for PvP

Lvl 79, 20 Vit, 50 Int, 28 Fai
2 x crystal soul spear
1 x crystal soulmass
1 x great combustion
2 x wrath of god

Logan's catalyst, enchanted +5 bandit's knife/rapier, velka's talisman, ascended flame

Not as fun nor as useful as I imagined, even my pure sorc character was a little more fun. I get a lot more close ranged options, but most of the time the overabundance in options trip me up. Oh well.

rofl

New Londo took me 10 hours. The remainder of the ones you mention took me about 10 hours combined :p

I helped out with Seath a few times after I killed him though, so it wasn't just plowing through.

i feel like new londo is a pretty small area, but of the areas i have beaten i feel its the one i know the least for some reason. i think because i rushed through it a bit since i was a bit paranoid about my temp curses running out and being screwed. i did find the very large ember though.

Mxrz

So after experimenting,

Great Scythe.
Grass Crest Shield.
Havel's Armor.
Havel's Ring.
Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Won almost every fight. But the thrill was gone. Checked online and this seems pretty cookie cutter armor/ring setup, but with most folks using upgraded Giant armor instead. Also sometimes with that ring that breaks if you remove it, but gives more stats/equip boost. I feel . . .dirty. It is sad it is so damn effective. Outside of the mandatory ring areas (Abyss, Lost wossit) I don't see how anything could be better even in PvE. Very disheartening.

On the bright side, using that armor setup but with the Painting Guardian white hood thing, my character looks like a giant mecha.

sixghost

rofl

Yeah that was probably a conservative guess :(

My first time through New Londo was a mess. It took me forever to drain the lower level, then even longer to clear the rest of the place. Little did I know it's like a 15 second run from the switch to the fog door.

Any recommendations for a good weapon to make divine +5 before I tackle the Catacombs? I have 16 STR and 24 DEX so that limits what I can equip

I used a Divine Falchion for my trip through the Catacombs. It wasn't the greatest but it got the job done. And I was a Thief class so I had low strength and high dex at that point.

Yeah that was probably a conservative guess :(

My first time through New Londo was a mess. It took me forever to drain the lower level, then even longer to clear the rest of the place. Little did I know it's like a 15 second run from the switch to the fog door.

i usually take my time and explore areas pretty thoroughly, but in new londo i basically ran through. i somehow stumbled on ingward and then the drain. fortunately the ghosts hit like pansies so the only threat is the dark wraiths once new londo is drained. they killed me a few times (there are one or two areas where its difficult to get them one on one and i got swarmed a couple of times), but once its drained you can get to the fog door quickly. that i somehow figured out.

Feep

Banned
I'm still constantly on the verge of dropping this game. Literally twice have I said to myself, "I am turning off the goddamn game forever if I don't make any real progress on this run," and both times, miraculously, I succeeded (raised the portcullis, and then reached a bonfire).

I don't generally have a problem with very difficult games, but there's only the dullest hints of plot, no characters worth speaking of, no memorable soundtrack, almost nothing to keep me going and offer a reward for triumph. The only reward for reaching a bonfire or beating a boss is the sheer anxiety of having to progress through an even more mind-numbingly difficult area. The architecture or level design is not as interesting as I'd hoped, based on the comments on this thread. And while I appreciate the battle system and the (ever rare) flights of victory, I feel those victories are based primarily on an exceedingly patient and overly cautious nature, as opposed to exciting battles of visceral movement and flowing combat. I greatly respect *everyone* in this thread who genuinely enjoys the game. It may simply be beyond me.

Still, I press on. I reached the moonlit butterfly, only to get my ass kicked. I can't aim my bow manually, and the automatic aim tends to miss quite a bit, so that's fairly useless...

Still, I press on. I reached the moonlit butterfly, only to get my ass kicked. I can't aim my bow manually, and the automatic aim tends to miss quite a bit, so that's fairly useless...

press L1 / LB with the bow active (character has both hands on it). dpad to zoom, L1 again to get back out. or what soulhouf said. or if you don't mind a teeny boss-fight related spoiler
there is an npc summon sign hidden in bushes at the base of the stairs before the fight. you'll need to be alive to see it.

Livanh

I'm still constantly on the verge of dropping this game. Literally twice have I said to myself, "I am turning off the goddamn game forever if I don't make any real progress on this run," and both times, miraculously, I succeeded (raised the portcullis, and then reached a bonfire).

I don't generally have a problem with very difficult games, but there's only the dullest hints of plot, no characters worth speaking of, no memorable soundtrack, almost nothing to keep me going and offer a reward for triumph. The only reward for reaching a bonfire or beating a boss is the sheer anxiety of having to progress through an even more mind-numbingly difficult area. The architecture or level design is not as interesting as I'd hoped, based on the comments on this thread. And while I appreciate the battle system and the (ever rare) flights of victory, I feel those victories are based primarily on an exceedingly patient and overly cautious nature, as opposed to exciting battles of visceral movement and flowing combat. I greatly respect *everyone* in this thread who genuinely enjoys the game. It may simply be beyond me.

well flow of battle certainly comes later on, if and when you will get better. i asume you are still using a shield - that makes always for "unflowy" combat.
the architecture also reveals itself after some time, when you open shortcuts and really understsand how well everything is connected and layed out.
same goes for the story: you could youtube the bosses you beat. pretty much every enemy has a vast background. check out this channel

elohel

I'd say stop playing the game

What other "difficult" games have you tried or beaten?

also you can aim the bow hit l1 to zoom in and aim manually

is your copy on ps3? I might have a friend who would wanna buy it.... If u wanna sell it

Dyno

I'm back in the Dark after the comparitive cakewalk that is Skyrim.

Got down to the bottom of Blighttown, cleared out the swamp, and though it took a few tries I beat Quellag using a +7 Club, Magic Weapon spell, and fearlessness! Then I got to join the Chaos Covenant! [/brag][/swag]

But you know, it's been a while since I've been back on the surface (not that I really need to go other than loneliness.) Pass Quellag is the Demon Ruins and I don't know about that. I've been working my way up the waterwheel in the swamp but I really don't know where it leads!

So I'm asking you veterans is there one of those shortcut/elevator things that will grant me quick access to Firelink Shrine somewhere soon? I'm still looking for a stone to make a divine weapon so I can so to the Catacombs. What is the next area I should go to and how do I get there?

Any advice appreciated.

mxgt

Banned
If you work your way to the very top of the waterwheel section you'll find the back entrance to blighttown and just across from it you can enter a tower that leads to the start of new londo

I'm back in the Dark after the comparitive cakewalk that is Skyrim.

Got down to the bottom of Blighttown, cleared out the swamp, and though it took a few tries I beat Quellag using a +7 Club, Magic Weapon spell, and fearlessness! Then I got to join the Chaos Covenant! [/brag][/swag]

But you know, it's been a while since I've been back on the surface (not that I really need to go other than loneliness.) Pass Quellag is the Demon Ruins and I don't know about that. I've been working my way up the waterwheel in the swamp but I really don't know where it leads!

So I'm asking you veterans is there one of those shortcut/elevator things that will grant me quick access to Firelink Shrine somewhere soon? I'm still looking for a stone to make a divine weapon so I can so to the Catacombs. What is the next area I should go to and how do I get there?

Any advice appreciated.

If you beat Quelaag I assume you rung the second bell? There's a cutscene after you ring the bell that shows you where to go. The easiest way to get back to Firelink is to climb up the waterwheel and then go through the shortcut in the Valley of Drakes to the entrance of New Londo.

elohel

If you work your way to the very top of the waterwheel section you'll find the back entrance to blighttown and just across from it you can enter a tower that leads to the start of new londo

and this tower goes to firelink shrine

edit: well to londo then to firelink i mean lol

I have a longsword +5 I want to upgrade to +10 but it doesn't show up on my list when I'm at a bonfire or blacksmith. Seems only I can upgrade to a divine longsword. How do you upgrade a weapon along the standard path?

Sullichin

I have a longsword +5 I want to upgrade to +10 but it doesn't show up on my list when I'm at a bonfire or blacksmith. Seems only I can upgrade to a divine longsword. How do you upgrade a weapon along the standard path?

You need to get the large ember from the depths, which allows you to take +5 to +10. But then it will show up in Andre's "modify equipment" option to take it to +6, and then it will be in the list of weapons to upgrade after that.

Dyno

mxgt said:

If you beat Quelaag I assume you rung the second bell? There's a cutscene after you ring the bell that shows you where to go. The easiest way to get back to Firelink is to climb up the waterwheel and then go through the shortcut in the Valley of Drakes to the entrance of New Londo.

Thank you sirs! Now I know what to look for. Will feel good to be back in the out of doors. Praise the Sun - er I mean Praise Chaos!

You need to get the large ember from the depths, which allows you to take +5 to +10. But then it will show up in Andre's "modify equipment" option to take it to +6, and then it will be in the list of weapons to upgrade after that.

Wow! Thanks a million! Can't believe I missed that. Must have been through that room a hundred times now too.

Guevara

Had a huge breakthrough last night; some dude helped me with Ornstein and Smough, which was an awesome fight. Great music, fun attack patterns, no annoying environmental distractions.

I'm only level 45ish so I had some serious trouble, probably should have done more grinding. It took me 10ish solo tries, then I started burning humanity looking for help. All told I probably tried 20 times.

After that I went back to the asylum and killed the boss, then went to the woods and killed Sif with no real problems. Awesome day off.

I haven't used any of the boss souls with the exception of the Crystal Ring Shield (now nerfed :-/) Any of them particularly worth while? I was thinking of making a Queelag Fury Sword as my new primary.

Booshka

Had a huge breakthrough last night; some dude helped me with Ornstein and Smough, which was an awesome fight. Great music, fun attack patterns, no annoying environmental distractions.

I'm only level 45ish so I had some serious trouble, probably should have done more grinding. It took me 10ish solo tries, then I started burning humanity looking for help. All told I probably tried 20 times.

After that I went back to the asylum and killed the boss, then went to the woods and killed Sif with no real problems. Awesome day off.

I haven't used any of the boss souls with the exception of the Crystal Ring Shield (now nerfed :-/) Any of them particularly worth while? I was thinking of making a Queelag Fury Sword as my new primary.

Fury Sword is a pretty good weapon, it's light, quick and does good damage when upgraded, and it scales with the Humanity in your counter. I like the Chaos Blade more because it is super fast and does pure physical damage, but it requires a lot of Dexterity to be really good, and it also takes a little bit of your HP with every successful attack, so it's pretty specialized and risky if you're just trying to progress through the game, and not focusing on PvP.

mxgt

Banned
Fury Sword is a pretty good weapon, it's light, quick and does good damage when upgraded, and it scales with the Humanity in your counter. I like the Chaos Blade more because it is super fast and does pure physical damage, but it requires a lot of Dexterity to be really good, and it also takes a little bit of your HP with every successful attack, so it's pretty specialized and risky if you're just trying to progress through the game, and not focusing on PvP.

Plus it looks awesome

Booshka

Plus it looks awesome
Indeed, I noticed some kind of marking on it as well when I get summoned as a Sunbro, the gross incandescence brings out some hidden insignia.
I'm just too chicken to equip any weapon that injures the user, no matter what the damage output.

It's worth it for the speed and damage in PvP, but I understand that for PvE it isn't entirely practical.

It's a great weapon for a Pyromancer build with 45 Dex, I use it along with a Black bow of pharis and some pyro spells and it works pretty well in PvP. Sometimes you are outmatched by people with crazy buffs on weapons that deal 800-1200 damage, but with the speed of the Chaos blade and quick casting times of Pyromancy at 45 dex, you can compete with anyone if you play it right.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok I'm a pure melee build, and I just finished the Painted World (my favorite part so far, so awesome). I got invaded almost constantly there too and went about 50/50, but all the fights were great.

So far though, all my pvp experience has been almost exculsive melee VS melee. Granted I haven't done a ton of pvp, but I haven't had anyone attack me with magic yet, and I don't use it myself. Is melee better, or have I gotten lucky draws? Am I going to get my ass kicked when I go up against a caster build?

Santiako

Ok I'm a pure melee build, and I just finished the Painted World (my favorite part so far, so awesome). I got invaded almost constantly there too and went about 50/50, but all the fights were great.

So far though, all my pvp experience has been almost exculsive melee VS melee. Granted I haven't done a ton of pvp, but I haven't had anyone attack me with magic yet, and I don't use it myself. Is melee better, or have I gotten lucky draws? Am I going to get my ass kicked when I go up against a caster build?

Magic is way too easy to evade for it to be useful in PvP.

Anth0ny

I just killed this gaping vagina dragon on my first try. awwww yeah.

So he dropped 25,000 souls. That's a fuckton. Anything important I should spend them on, or should I just level up like crazy?

I just killed this gaping vagina dragon on my first try. awwww yeah.

So he dropped 25,000 souls. That's a fuckton. Anything important I should spend them on, or should I just level up like crazy?

conventional wisdom around here is that you are generally better off upgrading weapons than leveling your character. this is contingent on your having found a weapon you are comfortable with and know a little bit where you plan to take your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom