• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I just killed this gaping vagina dragon on my first try. awwww yeah.

So he dropped 25,000 souls. That's a fuckton. Anything important I should spend them on, or should I just level up like crazy?

If you want you can go buy the Crest of Artorias for 20K. It will open up the front way to the Forest and you can farm NPC's there if you want. If you haven't already buy a repairbox, and weapon and armor smithing boxes as well.

sixghost

I just killed this gaping vagina dragon on my first try. awwww yeah.

So he dropped 25,000 souls. That's a fuckton. Anything important I should spend them on, or should I just level up like crazy?
If you like your shield, weapon, or armor, head back to Andre and upgrade the shit out of your items. If you're a mage, go buy a bunch of spells from the guy in firelink, if you're a pyro, go upgrade your pyro glove.

Don't be in such a rush to level up, you can make yourself stronger spending souls in other ways.

There's a shortcut you can take back to the entrance of the depths, look for the door on the left side of the room with water on the floor, near the entrance to Blighttown.

Anth0ny

If you want you can go buy the Crest of Artorias for 20K. It will open up the front way to the Forest and you can farm NPC's there if you want. If you haven't already buy a repairbox, and weapon and armor smithing boxes as well.

Yeah I was considering the Crest of Artorias. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Booshka

Yeah I was considering the Crest of Artorias. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that.

Also if you want you can go back down to the Depths and help other players beat the Gaping Dragon, you'll get one humanity and 12,500 souls for every successful summon. It's a good place to get a lot of souls early in the game.

sixghost

I wouldn't recommend that. Other than farming the NPCs in there, it's really not a place you should be at that point in the game.

Still, I press on. I reached the moonlit butterfly, only to get my ass kicked. I can't aim my bow manually, and the automatic aim tends to miss quite a bit, so that's fairly useless...

Equip all your armor & shield with the highest magic defense, block or roll its attacks. Wait until the butterfly sits down & two hand your weapon.
Easy.

Deadstar

I'm still constantly on the verge of dropping this game. Literally twice have I said to myself, "I am turning off the goddamn game forever if I don't make any real progress on this run," and both times, miraculously, I succeeded (raised the portcullis, and then reached a bonfire).

I don't generally have a problem with very difficult games, but there's only the dullest hints of plot, no characters worth speaking of, no memorable soundtrack, almost nothing to keep me going and offer a reward for triumph. The only reward for reaching a bonfire or beating a boss is the sheer anxiety of having to progress through an even more mind-numbingly difficult area. The architecture or level design is not as interesting as I'd hoped, based on the comments on this thread. And while I appreciate the battle system and the (ever rare) flights of victory, I feel those victories are based primarily on an exceedingly patient and overly cautious nature, as opposed to exciting battles of visceral movement and flowing combat. I greatly respect *everyone* in this thread who genuinely enjoys the game. It may simply be beyond me.

Still, I press on. I reached the moonlit butterfly, only to get my ass kicked. I can't aim my bow manually, and the automatic aim tends to miss quite a bit, so that's fairly useless...

Become human and before you go up the stairs you can summon a mage to help you. They will kill the boss for you.

I frigging hate Sen's Fortress. Pretty much the only place that has caused me any problems and that is just because of the enviromental hazards.

Magic is way too easy to evade for it to be useful in PvP.

Not true, it just needs to be timed correctly. You can cast crystal soul mass and one shot phantoms by evading in the right angle when they attack, they'll get hit while the attack animation is still going, same with crystal soul spear.
Using magic is not easy and needs practice but you can get very easy kills if you learn to use the time windows between attacks/evasions.
Many pvp players also use armour with high physical, but shitty magical defense since most players are melee types, so they take massive damage from magic, my character has 50 INT and the crown of dusk and I can take many phantoms out with two spells.

chunk3rvd

^^^ You can pick up an Occult Club in Anor Londo (
Mimic drop past the illusory wall
), which you can then revert back to Divine +5. The club's not great, but you should be able to down those skeletons in 2-3 hits (or one backstab/riposte).

Otherwise, the best advice I can give is listen to your heart...

Realised I already had a Divine Halberd +5 and just went with that. I'd built the Catacombs up in my head and was a bit wary about heading in but I found the whole things surprisingly easy and I felt a bit overpowered tbh (I'm SL34). I guess it's designed like that so you can go and grab the Rite of Kindling or join Nito's covenant early on?

I think this is the last question I'll have for DS-GAF on my current playthrough - the only areas I have left are Tomb of the Giants, Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith. I currently have 99 active humanity. Would I be better tackling Demons Ruins / Lost Izalith first so I can get the Sunlight Maggot? I figure I may as well go now so I can use my humanity to unlock the Chaos Servant shortcut. Does the hat make TOTG much easier?

Dresden

I think this is the last question I'll have for DS-GAF on my current playthrough - the only areas I have left are Tomb of the Giants, Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith. I currently have 99 active humanity. Would I be better tackling Demons Ruins / Lost Izalith first so I can get the Sunlight Maggot? I figure I may as well go now so I can use my humanity to unlock the Chaos Servant shortcut. Does the hat make TOTG much easier?

Yeah, it does. It's not a long level but being able to light your surrounding without sacrificing your shield is nice (and you don't need to keep it up).

chunk3rvd

Yeah, it does. It's not a long level but being able to light your surrounding without sacrificing your shield is nice (and you don't need to keep it up).

Thanks dude. I'm wearing Elite Knights +9 so I can comfortably sacrifice the headgear and still keep my defense up. Guess that means I have the joy of Bed of Chaos to look forward to! :/ Will try and do the Solaire and Seigmeyer quests while I'm there

Feels wierd that I'm getting near the end. At 210 hours on my first playthrough so I've clearly been in no rush but I'm making that final push now as I want to be able to get to NG+ and keep some early sections open for invasions and a crack at gravelording. Hoping to stay at SL34 to keep my current zones for summoning/invasion but I have a bunch of awesome gear so it shouldn't be difficult

I actually haven't levelled up in 200 hours now! Back at the start in November, just 10 hours into the game, I was invaded and swiftly demolished in the Depths by a guy wearing full Chaneller's outfit with loads of powered up gear. From that moment on I swore I wouldn't let that happen again which is kind of what shaped my incredibly slow, low-level playthrough. I bet that guy has no idea how much damage his long forgotten invasion caused. It's not for nothing though as I've maxed out most items, ammo etc in the game with all the souls I've acquired and once I'm done I'll be able to use this character with the BB glitch and create a load of different PVP builds that will be readily equipped for any situation

One more thing that has crossed my mind - do I need the lordvessel to be able to join the Darkwraiths? Would love to be able to keep the early areas open to be invaded but also invade myself. I have 99 Cracked Red Eye Orbs (and another 99 in my bottomless box) so I guess I don't need to worry about it too early on

My next character is a low level (Burg/Parish) Gravelord character for sure, seems really cool.

Also, some guy who summoned me today dropped at least 15 Crystal Swords, it looked like a second bonfire.

One more thing that has crossed my mind - do I need the lordvessel to be able to join the Darkwraiths? Would love to be able to keep the early areas open to be invaded but also invade myself. I have 99 Cracked Red Eye Orbs (and another 99 in my bottomless box) so I guess I don't need to worry about it too early on

Yes, you need to have the vessel and talk to the snake in the abyss, if you talk to Frampt while you have the vessel he'll take it automatically and you will no longer be able to join the Darkwraiths.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
You don't need the lord vessel. You can kill the guy in New Londo and he'll drop the key. I killed 4 kings before I even rang both bells in my slvl1 playthrough.

Also, fun fact: the abyss bonfire acts like you have the lord vessel even when you don't and lets you warp to any linked bonfires you've visited, just like the lord vessel does.

Mxrz

Trying to finish up everything I can before heading into NG+ - Need to go the great hollow and kill the lizards, then kill off the npcs. Is it worth trying to farm blue and white slabs, or is it just faster to grab the static ones in the next cycle?

Sullichin

Ok, got two coveted items today - channeler's trident and moonlight greatsword. Holy crap the trident was annoying to farm. First time I got the MLGS too. I need to go for knights honor now. Unfortunately that means at least 1 and 1/2 more cycles with this character whose already on NG+.. I need two sif weapons, gwyndolins, ornsteins spear.. ugh. Oh and Priscillas tail too. Shit.

Ok, got two coveted items today - channeler's trident and moonlight greatsword. Holy crap the trident was annoying to farm. First time I got the MLGS too. I need to go for knights honor now. Unfortunately that means at least 1 and 1/2 more cycles with this character whose already on NG+.. I need two sif weapons, gwyndolins, ornsteins spear.. ugh. Oh and Priscillas tail too. Shit.

How long for the Trident drop?
I stopped farming after the 12 runs & all I was getting was drops from the crystal hollows.

Booshka

Trying to finish up everything I can before heading into NG+ - Need to go the great hollow and kill the lizards, then kill off the npcs. Is it worth trying to farm blue and white slabs, or is it just faster to grab the static ones in the next cycle?

Neither of those slabs are worth it regardless, Faith and Intelligence weapon scaling is woefully underpowered, so definitely don't bother farming.

joe2187

Banned
Okay, so I just beat the Painted world, and heading through the rest of Anor lando. everything is easy peazy until I'm getting shot at by fucking swords, these mother fuckers dont do much damage but they push me back into death...any tips on getting past these fools? I dont have many arrows left, I'm a warrior class I want to stab things..up close.

Also, trying to summon help in the painted world wasnt even happening, if you werent adept in magic nobody wanted you. Priscilla was probably the easiest to beat...didn't even take any damage. It was real fun playing in the dark like that, playing a guessing game with a chameleon, really threw me for a curve ball with such a different kind of boss fight.

i havent finished the game yet (havent beaten nito) but so far:

sens, anor londo, painted world, dukes archives are awesome.

parish, burg, depths, darkroot are great.

new londo is good. blighttown is fine, i think it gets more hate than it deserves. demon ruins are meh.

lost izalith sucks.

i think thats about how i rank things, keeping in mind i just started the catacombs and havent done whatever comes after.

oracrest

Finally decided to boot this up after beating Rayman: Origins. I've never played Demon's Souls.

GAF, you better give me some awesome tips, because as of right now, this game is a trainwreck. Twenty minutes in, the game is putting me up against at least four consecutive battles against two skeletons, who I cannot separate effectively, who can take off half a healthbar in one swing, who close extremely quickly. The heavy controls of my warrior, combined with the endurance/stamina mechanic, make me feel unbearably unwieldy.

As of right now, I am *not* having fun.

Here's my advice:

This game is a mixed blessing. For those accustomed to modern games that walk you through the mechanics, and make sure to "help" you play the game, this one can feel like a cryptic clusterfuck. However, therein lies its strength as well....

It offers a sense of accomplishment and discovery that harkens back to games of old that presented you with an ambiguous concept, and forced you to learn the mechanics and gameplay firsthand. It reminds me personally of those early Zelda's that threw you into a world and had you just figure it out on your own.

The heart of the game is its fighting mechanic. This ties into the magic as well. The combat animations are slow and anticipatory, much like Monster Hunter.

As someone who played the hell out of Demon's Souls, played tight challenge playthroughs of level 1 and default equipment characters, there is something to be said about such a famously "difficult" game that can legitimately finished through the players own mastery of the system alone.

With that being said.... The biggest detriment to Demon's/Dark Souls is what I call "Soul Loss Anxiety." a playthrough of a level that leads to you dying and losing all your souls is hardly a loss, since you as a player have become more familiar and understanding of the game and world itself. So, don't be afraid to rush headlong into the unknown with this game in the pure spirit of learning the layout.

At the end of the day, both games are relatively small, but concentrated with thought and design. No single enemy will be the same encounter where enemy X has a set amount of health, strategy, etc. the game unfolds as a continuous unique experience that in many ways flies in the face of conventional design.

After playing hundreds of hours of time spent into these games, I feel like I've just scratched the surface of the many ways to play the game, weapons to master, and systems to understand.

Most players will struggle with these, but then have a moment where the game *clicks*

Don't forget to:
Level your player
Level your weapons/armor
Repair your weapons/armor
Use items for the sake of learning what they do
Explore
Experiment
Enjoy...

The GAF Demons/Dark Souls community is one of the best. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and don't feel bad about not knowing anything already. This game was meant to be a shared experience among other players, and a constant discovery.

My one specific piece of advice would be to really play with the one handed/two handed weapon fighting styles.

Cetra

Just finished my first play-through. My god... such a good game.
Gwyn
handily handed me my ass for hours (about 7) on end. It was as thrilling and frustrating as it gets but landing that deathblow on him was the very definition of fulfillment.

About to start my NG+ but I'm worried my characters stats may be pretty much boned, as I kinda tossed them around willy nilly throughout the first quarter of the game.

sixghost

Just finished my first play-through. My god... such a good game.
Gwyn
handily handed me my ass for hours (about 7) on end. It was as thrilling and frustrating as it gets but landing that deathblow on him was the very definition of fulfillment.

About to start my NG+ but I'm worried my characters stats may be pretty much boned, as I kinda tossed them around willy nilly throughout the first quarter of the game.

Don't worry, you'll be surprised how much smoother things go the second time through, even if enemies take and do much more damage.

Personally, I thought it was more fun to just start a new character instead of doing and NG+. since it's hard to change up your character too much at that point. The game plays very differently with different builds.

With that being said.... The biggest detriment to Demon's/Dark Souls is what I call "Soul Loss Anxiety."

hammer -> nail -> head.

my advice to new people is get over it. souls are worthless in the end, even from very early in the game you can rack up 10's of thousands of them in half an hours work just by doing some co-op, let alone grinding high-payout npcs. it's more fun to do the bosses anyway than pied-piper'ing the same three-four people off cliffs over and over again.

Don't worry, you'll be surprised how much smoother things go the second time through, even if enemies take and do much more damage.

Personally, I thought it was more fun to just start a new character instead of doing and NG+. since it's hard to change up your character too much at that point. The game plays very differently with different builds.

tell me about it, i started my fifth last night. After reading Feep's post I realised i've never used a bow in this one so decided to correct that. and for shits and giggles,
took new londo shortcut to drakes, drakes to basin, basin to parish, parish to lower undead via solaire, and now i'm heading back to upper undeadburg to help level 5's kill havel for a few hours before i decide which boss i'd like to kill first.
such awesome interconnectivity.

Ratrat

I was fighting some demon boss on a wall and the idiot just jumps backwards over the side and plummets to his death. Shortly after the iron boar disappeared after killing me, even though I'm quite sure it still had some health left. :s Baffling and unsatisfying but otherwise I'm having a blast!

Livanh

I was fighting some demon boss on a wall and the idiot just jumps backwards over the side and plummets to his death. Shortly after the iron boar disappeared after killing me, even though I'm quite sure it still had some health left. :s Baffling and unsatisfying but otherwise I'm having a blast!

the boar probably burned to death in one of the fires there

Livanh

Not true, it just needs to be timed correctly. You can cast crystal soul mass and one shot phantoms by evading in the right angle when they attack, they'll get hit while the attack animation is still going, same with crystal soul spear.
Using magic is not easy and needs practice but you can get very easy kills if you learn to use the time windows between attacks/evasions.
Many pvp players also use armour with high physical, but shitty magical defense since most players are melee types, so they take massive damage from magic, my character has 50 INT and the crown of dusk and I can take many phantoms out with two spells.

no one with any pvp experience will be hit with magic, be it pyro, magic oder miracles.
maybe one or to hits depending on the lag setup, but once you know how early you have to dodge the opponents spells its useless.
maybe some zwei swinging dude will get hit :)
the only way i found it to be usefull is to force rolls und punish those predictable rolls with some fast poking weapon.

Livanh

Thanks dude. I'm wearing Elite Knights +9 so I can comfortably sacrifice the headgear and still keep my defense up. Guess that means I have the joy of Bed of Chaos to look forward to! :/ Will try and do the Solaire and Seigmeyer quests while I'm there

Feels wierd that I'm getting near the end. At 210 hours on my first playthrough so I've clearly been in no rush but I'm making that final push now as I want to be able to get to NG+ and keep some early sections open for invasions and a crack at gravelording. Hoping to stay at SL34 to keep my current zones for summoning/invasion but I have a bunch of awesome gear so it shouldn't be difficult

I actually haven't levelled up in 200 hours now! Back at the start in November, just 10 hours into the game, I was invaded and swiftly demolished in the Depths by a guy wearing full Chaneller's outfit with loads of powered up gear. From that moment on I swore I wouldn't let that happen again which is kind of what shaped my incredibly slow, low-level playthrough. I bet that guy has no idea how much damage his long forgotten invasion caused. It's not for nothing though as I've maxed out most items, ammo etc in the game with all the souls I've acquired and once I'm done I'll be able to use this character with the BB glitch and create a load of different PVP builds that will be readily equipped for any situation

my advice for ng+ dw char:
just do gargoyles, queelag, s&o, gwynevere. that leaves open all areas for pvp except undead parish and blight.
and for high lvl pvp i cannot recommend undead burg enough. so spare that poor taurus demons life!!

Mxrz

Started NG+ Then I made a line for New Londo & 4 kings. Half way through the ruins I noticed the ring was gone. Doh. I wanted to try doing the areas in a different order this time. I think there's a path around new londo, through valley of drakes and into the forest? Which boss needs to be alive to have forest hunters invade, Sif?

elohel

i havent finished the game yet (havent beaten nito) but so far:

sens, anor londo, painted world, dukes archives are awesome.

parish, burg, depths, darkroot are great.

new londo is good. blighttown is fine, i think it gets more hate than it deserves. demon ruins are meh.

lost izalith sucks.

i think thats about how i rank things, keeping in mind i just started the catacombs and havent done whatever comes after.

agreedo

dukes is sick bro

and yeah some of these levels got way more hate than they deserved

izalith was meh

Gueras

Banned
Which is the best armor for a warrior/pyromancer???

I got the eastern armor, stone armor and elite knight amor

Despiste stone armor is really heavy

i was figuring out elite knight armor gloves and pants are better than eastern armor.

So idon't know what to do if I use elite knight armor that i can upgrade or I use eastern armor...

Guevara

Joined the Forest Bros last night, it is really fun and near constant PVP. Of all the covenants, I think I enjoy the perks of this one most so far. I won my fights pretty quickly and got the
fog ring and divine blessing
. I'm going to feel terrible but it's about time to
kill the ninja bodyguard for the ninja ring

Guevara

i was figuring out elite knight armor gloves and pants are better than eastern armor.

So idon't know what to do if I use elite knight armor that i can upgrade or I use eastern armor...

I mixed and matched Elite Knight Armor and Eastern Armor for a long time and that seemed fine. I never bothered upgrading it at all and moved onto the
Gold Hemmed Black robe
once I found that.

EDIT: and I'm a warrior

Frank

There's no 'best for a class'. It all depends on your playing style and necessities.

You want to tank damage? Then high poise & high defence is what you need to look for, even if the armour is a bit on the heavy side. You want to be a dancing feather? Then as little weight as possible for the highest possible poise & defence in this context.

It also depends on the rings you have access to, and your Endurance value -- you can build a tank-like character that's also a dancing feather if you have certain rings.

So, there's actually no answer to your question :) Use what you think looks best, upgrade it as much as possible and... that would be it. Aside from high level PvP I don't think the armour really makes a difference. Your own skill (evading, blocking, parrying, backstabbing) works better at mitigating the possible damage then any piece of armour.

Booshka

There's no 'best for a class'. It all depends on your playing style and necessities.

You want to tank damage? Then high poise & high defence is what you need to look for, even if the armour is a bit on the heavy side. You want to be a dancing feather? Then as little weight as possible for the highest possible poise & defence in this context.

It also depends on the rings you have access to, and your Endurance value -- you can build a tank-like character that's also a dancing feather if you have certain rings.

So, there's actually no answer to your question :) Use what you think looks best, upgrade it as much as possible and... that would be it. Aside from high level PvP I don't think the armour really makes a difference. Your own skill (evading, blocking, parrying, backstabbing) works better at mitigating the possible damage then any piece of armour.

Except for poise, if you are getting staggered and stunlocked from any little hit, you're gonna get fucked up, outside of that yea you can wear garbage gear and still win if you have the skill.

Gueras

Banned
When I started this game i thought Skyrim was better but know i think unlike...

When you spend long hours in Skyrim doesn't feel like a game, it feels like a medieval tech demo, u don't feel your character evolving, you don't feel diference about skills, armors, or weapons you get through the game...

The world in Skyrim is superb but doesn't feel like a game...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, im back at Firelink Shrine again after ringing the two bells, and making a trek through Blighttown, and going through the great tree, and Lake Ash.

I met that weird head that is coming out of the ground that you can feed items, etc to. Is there any point to doing so other than getting souls, or does he eventually do something else for me?

Ok, im back at Firelink Shrine again after ringing the two bells, and making a trek through Blighttown, and going through the great tree, and Lake Ash.

I met that weird head that is coming out of the ground that you can feed items, etc to. Is there any point to doing so other than getting souls, or does he eventually do something else for me?

he eventually does other, plot and progress related stuff.

Peace Tea

As long as you don't attack him, he remains part of the narrative/(a few cutscenes).

He also breaks down colored reinforcement material, in this order: Slabs>Chunk>Shards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom