• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

forrest

formerly nacire
Question for those who have finished the game. If I go into the
Well of Souls
will I be able to continue doing the sides quests etc. or is it the point of no return like in the first game?

KorrZ

Well just battled my way through the Arbiters Maze. Man it was intense, took me almost 2 hours to get all the way through it. The loot at the end
seemed kind of shitty though. A crown that gives me more gold, even though I already have over a million gold with nothing to spend it on >.<

Euro PS3 version get !

Seems like Amazon decided to deliver it 4 days early !

On top of the Argul's Tomb DLC, I got 3 codes which I have no idea about (ordered the game last week and they said they were out of preorder bonuses) : Angel of death, deadly dispair and death rides.

Any tip for a beginner ?

tragic

Developer
Any tip for a beginner ?

When you meet Thane (you'll know), pick up Harvester Revenge - it's free!

The second move you should get is Meteor Strike (brings you to the ground very quickly so you can land and avoid hits by dodging again).

Don't forget to equip new gear (you can equip it without going into the menu by standing over it and holding BACK / SELECT).

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge.

Don't forget to check vendors... they sometimes have really REALLY good upgrades.

Explore. No need to rush!

pa22word

You guys on the fence can snag the game for $40 over on greenmangaming right now using the code "DERHE-RRDER-RINGE" at checkout.

When you meet Thane (you'll know), pick up Harvester Revenge - it's free!

The second move you should get is Meteor Strike (brings you to the ground very quickly so you can land and avoid hits by dodging again).

Don't forget to equip new gear (you can equip it without going into the menu by standing over it and holding BACK / SELECT).

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge.

Don't forget to check vendors... they sometimes have really REALLY good upgrades.

Explore. No need to rush!

Thanks a lot man ! So excited.

Last question, what's the difficulty like compared to DS1 ? I'm contemplating divng directly into apocalyptic...

Aeana

Well just battled my way through the Arbiters Maze. Man it was intense, took me almost 2 hours to get all the way through it. The loot at the end
seemed kind of shitty though. A crown that gives me more gold, even though I already have over a million gold with nothing to spend it on >.<
That's pretty much the theme with this game. Put in a lot of time and effort for stuff that isn't that great.

Thanks a lot man ! So excited.

Last question, what's the difficulty like compared to DS1 ? I'm contemplating divng directly into apocalyptic...

DS2's Apocalyptic is a little more challenging than DS1's - I don't remember having too much trouble in DS1 at all on Apocalyptic. In DS2, there are some tough mini bosses and even tough mobs sometimes.

I keep hearing this, yet I've gone back and done the fight a dozen times and I never get hit.

=O

I already beat him, otherwise I'd definitely go back and record it.

Basically, when I stood at a range where I was just inside the hammer length, no matter how timely my roll was I always got caught. The hammer clearly misses too. It only seems to be an issue at that distance though, when I kept to a closer range the fight was considerably easier.

Also, I'm not sure us this is an issue that others have been having but I noticed that the lock-on behaves erratically in the middle of large groups of enemies. Especially when trying to keep track of something with some sort evasive manoeuvre.

It was especially obvious in the room with the
scarab and it's mini-scarabs in The City of the Dead
. Lock onto the big one and watch what happens when it takes off into the air. Instead of breaking lock-on it just switches to something else. It'd be preferable if it just stayed locked, but what it does now is incredibly annoying. I'm guessing it has to do with the camera not being able to keep track. At least by breaking lock-on movement isn't hindered and your dodges don't completely flip directions once the target changes.

Also, how about a lock-on toggle option? :D

Aeana

What level are you supposed to be for The Scar. Even the stupid wasp things are tearing me apart at lvl 12.
I believe the enemies in there are level 17; you can see if you target them. Although if you're in there, you're probably stuck, right? I had that problem. Once you fall into that hole, fast travel is disabled since you're in battle. I think I managed to do it at level 12 or 13, but it was a slog.

The wasps are weirdly difficult to fight if you're just trying to grab them.

It is strange how there is no animation tied to grabbing an enemy like War had. It would at least help me figure out why it isn't working while I am mashing B and Death isn't doing anything.

KevinCow

Banned
Just beat the game. Clocked in at just 5 minutes shy of a full 24 hours.

I'll type up some more detailed impressions when (if) my computer starts letting me access GAF again, but for now I'll say this is pretty much everything I like about video games wrapped up in one delicious package. It's so good in every way.

An interesting, unique, fleshed out universe.

Awesome and beautiful art design.

Wonderful music.

A huge sprawling world with optional nooks and crannies to explore everywhere.

Level design that was so good in both form and function that Metroid Prime came to mind several times.

A character who's a joy to control, both in combat and traversal.

A combat system that, in conjunction with the loot system and enemy design, allows and encourages you to continue experimenting through to the end of the game.

A game structure that is clearly derivative of Zelda, yet modernizes and revamps it in a way that doesn't feel as formulaic. There are overworlds, there are dungeons, and there are mini-dungeons. But it's never as simple as go to dungeon A, acquire dungeon item, use dungeon item to defeat dungeon boss, repeat 8 times.

My one gripe is that the final boss and final cutscene were a bit anticlimactic, especially after DS1's immensely epic final line. It's clear that they have a plan for the future of the series, though. I just hope they get to pull it off.

Dahbomb

What level are you supposed to be for The Scar. Even the stupid wasp things are tearing me apart at lvl 12.
If the wasps are killing you then you need to find a way to exit that dungeon asap. The content after that is brutal for an under geared character. I beat the dungeon at lvl11 (got to lvl12 near the end of it) but it was a grind and lots of deaths had to be endured. Come back to this area when you are lvl15, that's supposed to be the level you tackle this dungeon.

DS2's Apocalyptic is a little more challenging than DS1's - I don't remember having too much trouble in DS1 at all on Apocalyptic. In DS2, there are some tough mini bosses and even tough mobs sometimes.

You make it sound like it's just a tad more difficult and since I also found DS1's hard mode quite easy I think I'll just go for it :)

(Not one online UR-Dragon kill, not one... :(

Veelk

Banned
So I just beat the game. It was good, and they especially improved on the combat and dungeon design, but on the whole, I think I preferred DS1. It's kind of hard to articulate why, but DS1 had much clearer goals to it.

Death's has so much more meandering in other people's problems.
It starts off with him going to the Crowfather to help his brother. That doesn't work out, so he gets sent into a random world, which happens to be the maker's. But the wall is blocked so you have to spend the first 10 hours of the game fixing their shit. "Fix the forge, repair the constructs, etc". You do this, and Kingdom of the Dead is the same thing. "Beat the Arena, get me my lords". And what is your reward after all that? Crowfather's ghost is willing to help now for no explicit reason. So those 15-20 hours of gameplay were to get back to the position that you were in the first 20 minutes.
Thankfully, after that, the game takes a more focused approach.

Now, I know that DS1 had elements of this too. Samael sent you on a long fetch quest to help his personal power, but it felt more cohesive and organic. For one, all the enemies here directly related to the Armageddon caused by War. Also, the fact that Samael was a constant who kept on helping war not because he did X for him, but just to improve your chances (like when he helped War rediscover his Chaos form) and put on a great performance in general helped endear him to me. In comparison...is anyone actually going to bother remembering the
King of the Dead
? He and the
Makers
are pretty unremarkable in comparison.

I really hope that there is a DS3. Combine the focused and immersive narrative structure of DS1 with the polish on the combat and dungeons of DS2, and make sure every aspect is fully realized (I couldn't believe awesome visual depiction of
hell
got shafted in level design that bad. ;_;), and it'd be perfect.

KevinCow

Banned
We need DS3 about Strife, DS4 about Fury, and then DS5 finally continuing from the end of DS1 with all four meeting up and riding against the council.

Most awesome quintilogy ever.

Please tell us this is going to happen, hdn or tragic.

DonMigs85

We need DS3 about Strife, DS4 about Fury, and then DS5 finally continuing from the end of DS1 with all four meeting up and riding against the council.

I've been telling everyone I know to buy this game. At the very least, if THQ goes down I hope they don't take Vigil or the Darksiders IP with them.

Veelk

Banned

God, I hope not. I already dislike that the game ends
at the exact same place where DS1 did.I was hoping that they'd atleast go a little bit further to see the beginnings of the war. And because it was the ending of the game, they could make it as big as it deserves to be.
I'm going to be very disappointed if I get blueballed by the next 2 games the same way.

However, I do like the idea that every Horseman gets it's own game. That'd be sweet. And if nothing else, I want to know what the hell Samael is up to already.

I don't think I could stand 2 more games that don't progress the story any. :\

Dahbomb

Would +26 strength or 36 health on crit be more beneficial on my possessed claws? Advice appreciated.
How much is your crit chance? If its high go for health, if low then strength. Over 30% is considered good crit chance.

Crit values are generally better on claws/fast weapons but standard stats are better on heavier weapons.

Monocle

How much is your crit chance? If its high go for health, if low then strength. Over 30% is considered good crit chance.

Crit values are generally better on claws/fast weapons but standard stats are better on heavier weapons.
Right now my crit chance for the claws is 40%. I'm about to go after the health stealing scythe in the
Dead Lands maze
, so I was thinking health on crit for my secondary weapon might be redundant.

I'm trying to decide whether to save the claws I just made:

dmg 166-186
critical chance +24%
critical dmg +25%
strength 26
wrath on crit 8

My Death is level 16, pure Harbinger, points in Teleport Slash and Unstoppable. I'm playing on Apocalyptic. Health and wrath regeneration has been a problem, and my damage output isn't all that it could be. At this point I'm trying to make the most of my criticals by boosting the appropriate stats.

gdt

So I know everyone is upset about the lack of tweaking in the pc version, but is it a good port other than that?

Yep.

Runs at 60 fps, no stutter at all for me. HUGEEEEEEE improvement over Darksiders I, which I struggle to keep 20-25 fps on.

Gbraga

Regarding the Flip Saw: one thing I haven't seen people do much of is cancel into Meteor Strike and continue the combo from there. Even more ruthless is following a Hellraiser (which does insane damage).

Launch, X,X, delay, X (Hellraiser), cancel to Flip Saw, cancel into Meteor Strike, land, Just Frame Secondary OR another Launch etc...

How did you do the cross-under so beautifully in the Giant Bomb Quick Look?

derwalde

so somebody pls tell me that you learn to double jump during the game....

on a sitenote: i cant find skills that really fit my playstyle. the only skill im using right now is unstoppable. anymore recommendations?

RPGCrazied

Damn. Missed the keys. :( Plus I won't have the PS3 game until like Monday. And NeoGaf was down yesterday, at least for me it was.

Giving away some codes!

https://twitter.com/verytragic

I have 3 Steam Keys up for grabs.

Also, as a NeoGAF Exclusive (...), I have a handful of Shadow of Death keys too (both XBOX and PS3).

For the Shadow of Death keys, just post what your favorite part of the game is so far (use spoiler tags... be courteous!). I'll talk to Die and BY2K and we will hand out some love!

I know I'm late on this one.
The whole game is killer so far. I really love the combat and the early hidden battles.

Ricker

Anytime you leave a dungeon by fast travel,it leaves a waypoint to travel back there after,cancelling the one from the previous dungeon or do you have to find the room with the waypoint?...mine is still in Drenchfort but I need to get out of the dungeon I am in now because I have 1 health Potion left and the Boss is pissing me off...
Construct Boss
...can I just fast travel to town,buy some potions and get back by fast travel at the same spot....?

derwalde

No double jump.

What exactly is your "playstyle"?

nooooooooooo. how dare they not to implement double jumping. ;(

regarding my playstyle: vs groups i dont use skills at all, cause till now there is no need to (besides buffing with unstoppable). on (mini-) bosses i dont like to press LT and LB at the same time, so i buff myself once in a while and thats it ;_;

Monocle

Anytime you leave a dungeon by fast travel,it leaves a waypoint to travel back there after,cancelling the one from the previous dungeon or do you have to find the room with the waypoint?...mine is still in Drenchfort but I need to get out of the dungeon I am in now because I have 1 health Potion left and the Boss is pissing me off...
Construct Boss
...can I just fast travel to town,buy some potions and get back by fast travel at the same spot....?
Yes, you get one waypoint at a time. It brings you back to the same room you left, or close to it. If you have a waypoint in another dungeon, it's erased as the new one is created. You can fast travel freely when you're not in a dungeon without losing that waypoint, of course.

FtHTiny

so somebody pls tell me that you learn to double jump during the game....

on a sitenote: i cant find skills that really fit my playstyle. the only skill im using right now is unstoppable. anymore recommendations?

I play with teleport slash and harvest and it´s a real breeze. Harvest 1-2 shots every smaller mob in the game and with teleport you can go into the back of the greater ones easily where you can start the big combos.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
nooooooooooo. how dare they not to implement double jumping. ;(

regarding my playstyle: vs groups i dont use skills at all, cause till now there is no need to (besides buffing with unstoppable). on (mini-) bosses i dont like to press LT and LB at the same time, so i buff myself once in a while and thats it ;_;

then yeah go necro, all the skills do their own thing with out any need for aiming or locking on.

Top Bottom