• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Derrick01

Banned
So I know everyone is upset about the lack of tweaking in the pc version, but is it a good port other than that?

I have some of the worst stuttering I've seen in a game in quite some time (it reminds me of vanilla New Vegas but that game was open world AND on Gamebryo, so it had excuses at least) but other than that it runs at 60fps at 1080p. I'm pretty sure they just ported over the console game exactly and allowed us to run it at higher res and framerate.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just encountered a bug. Pretty bad one. Was fighting the
Wailing Host
and he stopped mid-animation. Now he doesn't move, and is frozen and I can't hurt him. Had to restart the fight.

Did it again. Scratch that not hurting thing. I can hurt him.

Edit 2: Can't kill him even if you deplete its health bar.

T_T

Gbraga

Some really nice combos there, but only 2 minutes
25Hep.png

25Hep.png

Mupod

So I know everyone is upset about the lack of tweaking in the pc version, but is it a good port other than that?

I was getting some weird issues with getting stuck in the menu after exiting the map, but that stopped happening after Drenchfort.

The textures are kinda low res but that's to be expected.

Also it says to press A on my 360 controller to zoom to the overworld but it actually means to press in LS. But aside from that 360 pad support is flawless, some ports are shitty and don't recognize my Razer Onza but THQ games always seem to handle it fine.

Other than that it looks great with forced SGSSAA and runs well. I don't really know what I'd need ini tweaks for, it's not like I'm playing an FPS and need to get rid of mouse smoothing or whatever. Still kinda annoying that we were told it would be in and it isn't.

forrest

formerly nacire
So in hunting down the Arbiter Maze Scrolls I've been lacking two for some time now. I came across one that I know for a fact I got earlier, but it came up as a new one when I approached it. So I open inventory to check which one it was and there are still two missing. I check all of my scrolls to see if any directions matched the ones written on the wall and none did. I deciding to write them down just in case. :D

Going to take forever to track down these last two and the last
GNOmad.

Anyone see a ghost enemy in Stonefather's Vale, Baneswood, Charred Pass, etc...]? I can hear them walking and look around and can see a very faint outline. I thought I was seeing things the first time or two, but wasn't.

Ridley327

Anyone see a ghost enemy in Stonefather's Vale, Baneswood, Charred Pass, etc...]? I can hear them walking and look around and can see a very faint outline. I thought I was seeing things the first time or two, but

They had things like that in the first game, which ended up being related to an item that you eventually got. I'm sure it's the same in this one, as well.

They had things like that in the first game, which ended up being related to an item that you eventually got. I'm sure it's the same in this one, as well.

Well, I never noticed it in the first game and did play it. Do you mean I'll come back later and be able to "see" the enemy or something then?

Edit: Thanks, btw

tragic

Developer
Anyone see a ghost enemy in Stonefather's Vale, Baneswood, Charred Pass, etc...]? I can hear them walking and look around and can see a very faint outline. I thought I was seeing things the first time or two, but wasn't.

... and the aforementioned
Boneriven
!

tragic

Developer
Hey BY2K and DieH@rd... we need to figure out how to give away some NeoGAF prizes! Send me a msg with ideas (or msg each other first then msg me!). I figured we'd give some sweet codes away for stuff like, participation, helping people out, general feedback, dedication to the thread... I dunno! Up to you guys!

I wondered about that.

Those things are creepy, but I figured they would come to light (haha) eventually!

Edit: You are just way too nice Tragic, you know that? =P

... and the aforementioned
Boneriven
!

Guess I'll have to wait to see what this is... :)

BTW, loving the game (still early admittedly). So far, seems like the Combat is better with Death.

I wondered about that.

Those things are creepy, but I figured they would come to light (haha) eventually!

I kinda thought so too, but it was so strange I thought I was seeing things at first and had to ask :)

KorrZ

Muwhahaha. I've finally crafted a beautiful pair of health on hit scythes, combined with maxed out healing crows and maxed out teleport slash, I just feel invincible now :D. Crucible here I come.

Carm

I must have missed this or I don't understand weapon upgrading. Are the DLC weapons immune to the 5 levels max upgrading? I had five skulls on the Maximus Mace and it let me upgrade it again, and it looks like it gonna go to at least level 12 on the upgrade screen.

Derrick01

Banned
In my 3.5 hours of game time I think I've found maybe 4 pieces of loot out in the world that were beneficial enough for me to switch. Most of the good stuff I've found in shops or they were preorder/special items from DS1. This game is running into the same problems all recent loot games do...the loot sucks. This is making me want to cancel my Borderlands 2 preorder just because I'm losing faith in companies now (the first game had the same problem too).

In my 3.5 hours of game time I think I've found maybe 4 pieces of loot out in the world that were beneficial enough for me to switch. Most of the good stuff I've found in shops or they were preorder/special items from DS1. This game is running into the same problems all recent loot games do...the loot sucks. This is making me want to cancel my Borderlands 2 preorder just because I'm losing faith in companies now (the first game had the same problem too).

I feel the same way sometimes.

Then I open up a chest and get a nice purple item and it makes it all better.

....for a little while. But yes, I understand what you mean. Upgrades are few and far between sometimes.

carlos

Just saw the metalocalypse/darksiders crossover promo, pretty sweet :)

You can be sure that I would've tried to summon death with the code that Murderface uses if I had the game.

tragic

Developer
It's done that way on purpose actually. Instead of having most drops being amazing and merchant loot being useless, we adjusted it so that you actually have a reason to buy things from vendors. We also gave you uses for the crap loot - feed it to possessed weapons!

When I first started playing retail, I had totally forgotten that vendor loot is actually really good (sometimes). It's random also... but you can get some serious upgrades there!

malfcn

LOL -
Filled half the Drenchfort in the Fjord and couldn't figure out I had to swim in the tunnel. I was falling asleep however. I hate when simple pathways like that confused me, in states of mind such as that.

malfcn

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of permadeath mode according to a pre-release thread?

Nightmare I believe? It has to be unlocked though. If you die (combat death) you are dead, game over. But it has to be unlocked. Imagine trying to play the game first time and have some unexpected event kill you.

Ridley327

The way the game generates loot doesn't particularly bother me all that much; they throw tons of unique stuff your way before long (a lot of it is quite great), while the normal loot certainly can aid in helping out the real treasures that come in the form of the possessed loot. That, and sale prices are quite generous, so you can afford just about everything they throw at you.

That said, Death can carry like 30 pairs of boots, but only 5 health potions? "It is impossible," my ass.

What's the music track that plays during the last boss fight of the Forge Lands?

I was so hype during that.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_KO0dM545o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The way the game generates loot doesn't particularly bother me all that much; they throw tons of unique stuff your way before long (a lot of it is quite great), while the normal loot certainly can aid in helping out the real treasures that come in the form of the possessed loot. That, and sale prices are quite generous, so you can afford just about everything they throw at you.

That said, Death can carry like 30 pairs of boots, but only 5 health potions? "It is impossible," my ass.

It's all about dat game balance, yo.

malfcn

I realized the other day... we shoulda called this most Post-Apocalyptic...

... heh... get it? =O

That would have been for a good chuckle for sure. :)

Yeah.

Though they did give me a pair of legendary claws that had a level 15 requirement, and they were much worse than than the level 10 items I already had, which puzzled me.

I figure the unique ability on them must be amazing. =P

I think some of the Legendary loot may start of a bit 'worse' but that is because they can be fed stuff, and gain special properties?

The way the game generates loot doesn't particularly bother me all that much; they throw tons of unique stuff your way before long (a lot of it is quite great),

Yeah.

Though they did give me a pair of legendary claws that had a level 15 requirement, and they were much worse than than the level 10 items I already had, which puzzled me.

I figure the unique ability on them must be amazing. =P

I think some of the Legendary loot may start of a bit 'worse' but that is because they can be fed stuff, and gain special properties?

Those are possessed weapons. I'm still using a legendary hammer that's level 10, because I haven't found anything better yet. 4500 crits are nice!

Khezu

I like the way the loot is balanced.
I have found useful things inside chests, from enemies, and from quests. The best part though? It doesn't just throw a billion pieces of loot at you all the time, just enough to make you excited when you see it.

Fought one of the optional bosses
the fire bird
Was kinda hard at first because I was over thinking it, it was fun and cool looking for an optional thing.

Dahbomb

Loot has been damn good in DS2. Not only that but the Vendors have great items too. You don't need to get an item that upgrades your current gear to be a good item... you need items with great stats. Save up all those items with great single stats for a possessed weapon later on... trust me on this. Plus trash items can be sold for decent cash and you can use that to buy upgrade from the Vendor. Its a great system but I haven't gotten to the end game yet to know what happens there.

Anyone know what the Blademaster Talisman do? I just got it and as always... no description on it. I am still waiting on the answer to what the Legacy Talisman does.

Okay, I stand corrected. It was a level 15 pair of scythes, and no wonder the stats were worse.

The unique ability is a fire enchant that does as much as the weapon damage, with a WICKED DoT added on. Wow.

Top Bottom