• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

gunbo13

Played about an hour or so. Pretty fun game. Not sure how much I like the combat and I'm a little impatient with the RPG/platforming. I really dislike the letter box hard lock and that moves can only work on soft lock, like roll to scythe. Weapon swapping feels pretty good but I find myself getting repetitive since variation can get you smashed...

Feels like a pretty good feeling combat game with heavy RPG aspects and decent platforming. It kind of feels like GoW + PoP + looting + Warcraft 3 (visuals). I'm PC @ 1080p with 4xAA at quite stable 60fps. I do notice judder (probably SLI) and lots of tearing. Using dualshock 3 with x360 emulation on motioninjoy. People who can't instantly recognize 360 -> PS3 buttons will have difficulty but I'm doing fine.

I'm not engrossed but will probably play in bits over time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Okay, completed the first 10 chapters, and got the
bone key
. What do I do with it?

It goes into the shiny multicolored door :p

We need to get a mod in here to ban Qis for a few days so he can play the game!
lol-no.gif

KillGore

I just got home from Toys R Us because there has been a picture of someone who bought a 2 for $60 deal in toys r us in PR (Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs were the games). I'm from PR so I went to toys r us and they told me the deal starts tomorrow. Not sure if the person really knew what she was talking about but I would definitely buy it tomorrow if true. I wish I knew if it were 100% true so I could make a thread but I'm scared it isn't. Would be amazing if true.

Also, a friend of mine who works there told me that he thinks these aren't the only two games on the deal.

Dahbomb

Played about an hour or so. Pretty fun game. Not sure how much I like the combat and I'm a little impatient with the RPG/platforming. I really dislike the letter box hard lock and that moves can only work on soft lock, like roll to ...
Use D3Doverrider for vsync//triple buggering, turn off the in game v sync and play in window mode. It will play much better.

Duffyside

Banned
Will it be made pretty clear when I'm going to leave the first world?
I'm guessing it will involve the Tree of Life.
And does the game make it easy, even if it's at the end, to go back and finish things up in previous worlds?

I just got home from Toys R Us because there has been a picture of someone who bought a 2 for $60 deal in toys r us in PR (Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs were the games). I'm from PR so I went to toys r us and they told me the deal starts tomorrow. Not sure if the person really knew what she was talking about but I would definitely buy it tomorrow if true. I wish I knew if it were 100% true so I could make a thread but I'm scared it isn't. Would be amazing if true.

Also, a friend of mine who works there told me that he thinks these aren't the only two games on the deal.

That's a killer deal. I read that on CAG earlier.

I think TRU did something similar last year.

And does the game make it easy, even if it's at the end, to go back and finish things up in previous worlds?

Yep, pretty clear. And you can go back to other worlds

NIN90

I personally don't like how automatic climbing is. At least in the AC games you could fuck up, in this game it's nigh impossible.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Yes you can go back at any time

I personally don't like how automatic climbing is. At least in the AC games could fuck up, in this game it's nigh impssible.
It's possible to fuck up in those games? It's about the same as here.

Dahbomb

You can easily go back to the first world via portal if you are in the second world.

Also Gunbo make sure you are playing on Apocalyptic.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How can this be a disappointing sequel since this is what a sequel SHOULD be? Bigger, better in every way. Exploration is better, combat is better, the puzzles are better.

Derrick01

Banned
How can this be a disappointing sequel since this is what a sequel SHOULD be? Bigger, better in every way. Exploration is better, combat is better, the puzzles are better.

I'm feeling like much of what was added is not as well done as what was in DS1, a more focused game so far. This happens with a lot of studios that add rpg lite elements to their games. Add a conversation system with npcs but then make it have less depth than a mass effect game, add loot and then make the drops suck and merchant stuff 10000 times better. The ability tree seems to be decent even though it doesn't have that many abilities.

gunbo13

Also Gunbo make sure you are playing on Apocalyptic.
Yea, I'm going to restart a new game on apocalyptic. I wanted to see how normal felt though. I did get some pretty decent mix-ups though so far. String -> launcher -> aerials with swap -> finisher is pretty nice. I need more moves and weapons...

I'm feeling like much of what was added is not as well done as what was in DS1, a more focused game so far. This happens with a lot of studios that add rpg lite elements to their games. Add a conversation system with npcs but then make it have less depth than a mass effect game, add loot and then make the drops suck and merchant stuff 10000 times better. The ability tree seems to be decent even though it doesn't have that many abilities.

No focused?
Is there less puzzles, is there less backtracking to find new/extra stuff, is there no optional areas to explore?

Explain yourself.

Derrick01

Banned
No focused?
Is there less puzzles, is there less backtracking to find new/extra stuff, is there no optional areas to explore?

Explain yourself.

I can't say for sure yet as I haven't even left the first world but it's leaving me very unimpressed. Every dungeon whether a story or side one so far has been relatively short and very easy. Maybe the first world serves as the easy one, I don't know. And the combat has been very easy so far whereas I was challenged a bit more in 1 and I'm no expert in combat in these types of games. There's also virtually no story yet and every NPC is sending me on fetch quests with little backstory. Like I said a lot of these new RPG lite elements don't feel very in depth like they would be in actual RPGs, they feel like box checking elements so far.

gdt

OKay, I'm confused. Just broke my neck finishing The Scar, and
thats not part of Thane's quests? Then where is the other monster in the first world? Baethir I think. Oh and The Mad something or other, he's part of an upcoming quest?

Sucks that there isn't a finished quest log.

burgerdog

OKay, I'm confused. Just broke my neck finishing The Scar, and
thats not part of Thane's quests? Then where is the other monster in the first world? Baethir I think. Oh and The Mad something or other, he's part of an upcoming quest?

Sucks that there isn't a finished quest log.

Go to quest log > make kill xyz your current active quest > check map ??????? > profit.

aparisi2274

So I wanted to report a bug I had tonight and see if anyone else had the issue too...

I was out in the forge lands, fighting the
Guardian
and I noticed on the
arm, all these shadow bombs, so I jumped on Despair, locked on with the gun and shot them while he had his hammer raised. The bombs went off and nothing happened, and I eventually died.
When I restarted the battle, I took a glance at a FAQ to see if I was doing something wrong, and sure enough I had to wait for the arm to slam down before I shoot them. When I did this, the battle went off without a hitch...

Anyone else with this issue??

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of all the side quests? I feel like I did nothing.

Also, when is the point of no return? I'm at
Earth.

BY2K

Membero Americo

The only thing I got from merchants that was actually better than drops was my current shoulder pad and armor and talisman. ONCE.

Everything else was drops. Sweet sweet drops.

The conversation system serves only to get more backstory/lore from the game, which is ok in my book. I do agree that there isn't a lot of abilities. (It's pretty much 4 abilities per tree and everything else is stuff that adds to that ability, except the final one.)

Dahbomb

If you buy a lot from the vendor then you will not get as great loot.

If you don't buy from the vendor then you will end up getting loot that upgrades your equipment consistently.

Personally I avoid the vendor and save my gold.

BY2K

Membero Americo

If you don't buy from the vendor then you will end up getting loot that upgrades your equipment consistently.

I WANTED to buy from vendors from the beginning of the game, but everything they had sucked compared to my current gear except for that one time.

And I think they talk to each other, they sell the same stuff, more or less.

neoism

Is there a list of all the side quests? I feel like I did nothing.

Also, when is the point of no return? I'm at
Earth.
just beat the game quick bro.. go through it again on new game plus... the side stuff doesn't stay over just levels and loot

neoism

me too... I'm try for a mil or something for new game plus

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
just beat the game quick bro.. go through it again on new game plus... the side stuff doesn't stay over just levels and loot

I kinda didn't want to go through NG+ as I have Deus Ex coming, but I guess you're right.

Am I past the point of no return though? Once again, I'm at
Earth

neoism

I kinda didn't want to go through NG+ as I have Deus Ex coming, but I guess you're right.

Am I past the point of no return though? Once again, I'm at
Earth

damn man Deus Ex was soooooo fucking good. My first in the series...fucking lovved it enjoy.

Yep, I haven't bought anything. I'm too stingy with my gilt. =P

KevinCow

Banned
There is no point of no return. When you beat the game, it asks if you want to start a New Game +. Just say no, and it'll put you back before you fought the final boss and you can go back and do whatever sidequests you want.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
There is no point of no return. When you beat the game, it asks if you want to start a New Game +. Just say no, and it'll put you back before you fought the final boss and you can go back and do whatever sidequests you want.

Thank you.

Duffyside

Banned
Thanks for all the answers, guys!

I dunno, I can see why some people wouldn't like it as much as the first. I'm starting to wonder if I feel that way myself. Combat is certainly better, but I'm not sure about much of anything else. Managing stats with my weapons is just not very fun to me, I don't like pouring over numbers. And the Wrath abilities in this game are really a letdown. I had five points saved up because I kept hoping something good would come up. I finally read everything else and said "oh, wait, nope -- nothing good is coming." Nothing is as good as the spikes in DS1.

Also, I still haven't gotten any Zelda-like equipment. I see portals and hookshot points and everything, but three dungeons in and still nothing.

Edit: And actually, while there are certainly more moves in DS2 (which was a problem in DS1), I dunno, there was something way more visceral and satisfying about War just cutting dudes up with that big sword. And I find myself getting hit because I'm stuck in an animation (usually Harvester's Revenge) and can't roll out of the way. But maybe I just don't remember DS1 that well.

What I do love are the characters/dialogue. Just superb voice-acting, and even writing, in my opinion.

TGMIII

Does this include stuff like finding the angels during the part on Earth because this section is so shitty and I just want to be done with it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I also don't remember DS1 being this repetitive. As much as they expanded it in many ways, it always feels you're doing the same quest over and over.

Being more focused can be better sometimes. That's why I like Arkham Asylum more than Arkham City.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still a great game. But DS1 was a 9/10, and this is like an 8.

Top Bottom