• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Maffis

Thanks for all the answers, guys!

I dunno, I can see why some people wouldn't like it as much as the first. I'm starting to wonder if I feel that way myself. Combat is certainly better, but I'm not sure about much of anything else. Managing stats with my weapons is just not very fun to me, I don't like pouring over numbers. And the Wrath abilities in this game are really a letdown. I had five points saved up because I kept hoping something good would come up. I finally read everything else and said "oh, wait, nope -- nothing good is coming." Nothing is as good as the spikes in DS1.

Also, I still haven't gotten any Zelda-like equipment. I see portals and hookshot points and everything, but three dungeons in and still nothing.

Edit: And actually, while there are certainly more moves in DS2 (which was a problem in DS1), I dunno, there was something way more visceral and satisfying about War just cutting dudes up with that big sword. And I find myself getting hit because I'm stuck in an animation (usually Harvester's Revenge) and can't roll out of the way. But maybe I just don't remember DS1 that well.

What I do love are the characters/dialogue. Just superb voice-acting, and even writing, in my opinion.

3 dungeons in? You're still at the beginning...

KevinCow

Banned
Does this include stuff like finding the angels during the part on Earth because this section is so shitty and I just want to be done with it.

Yes.

Not sure why so many people seem to hate that part though, I thought it was a fun little change of pace. The game's all, "Welp, I'm gonna be a shooter now for a bit."

jett

D-Member
I'm at the "Guardian" temple, good lawd so far this game is fucking awesome and has made everything from the first game better. Just wish it ran a little better on my aging PC but that's all the negative I can give it, a few glitches here and there aside.

Dahbomb

Edit: And actually, while there are certainly more moves in DS2 (which was a problem in DS1), I dunno, there was something way more visceral and satisfying about War just cutting dudes up with that big sword. And I find myself getting hit because I'm stuck in an animation (usually Harvester's Revenge) and can't roll out of the way. But maybe I just don't remember DS1 that well.
You can't roll out of the Stinger like move of War either which is the equivalent of that move in this game. Moves like these have to be used appropriately because they are coming off of a dodge.

And 3 dungeons is like 5% of the game if that especially if you are including the initial ice level.

gunbo13

Just have to say that L2 hard lock + L1 special modifier sucks. Unnecessarily overloading and imbalancing top buttons is like my biggest pet-peeve ever.

Is it also like that on consoles I assume? R2/L2 FFS.

SLI info pretty please with sugar

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just have to say that L2 hard lock + L1 special modifier sucks. Unnecessarily overloading and imbalancing top buttons is like my biggest pet-peeve ever.

Well, since you can use a skill at the end of a finisher, and those are normally facing who you want to target anywaaaaays... ya :p

gdt

Yeah, this game is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than DS1. Fixes and expands on everything. The loot system in this game is so good. And customizing/upgrading possessed weapons is awesome.

Also dat music.

Duffyside

Banned
You can't roll out of the Stinger like move of War either which is the equivalent of that move in this game. Moves like these have to be used appropriately because they are coming off of a dodge.

And 3 dungeons is like 5% of the game if that especially if you are including the initial ice level.

I'm not counting the ice level, nor the side dungeons of which I've done two, and I'm in my fourth main dungeon now, I think. Vigil did great work at weaving the dungeon-type stuff into the game, but since dungeons are my least favorite parts of these type of games, that may also explain me starting to think I liked DS1 better.

I don't dislike the game by any means, either. I know it's good because I keep putting it down after an hour or two and say "y'know, that might be enough for a day," only to go running back a few hours later because I have the Darksiders itch.

Dahbomb

It's not like this on the PC K&B and there is even a toggle button for lock on.

neoism

yeah that and the camera being sooo damn close I rarely use it..... if I do I just tap it to make the camera on the closest enemy... would looove it if it was toggle.. :/

options, options.....developers.... gamers like options guys... :|

gunbo13

Well, since you can use a skill at the end of a finisher, and those are normally facing who you want to target anywaaaaays... ya :p
I had moments where I noticed it was uncomfortable. Meaning I was using hard lock looking to execute a special. And if I noticed it, that means the mapping is borked.
It's not like this on the PC K&B and there is even a toggle button for lock on.
I can't use anything but a purdy DS. Making me play NG2 and Bayo on the 360 controller was enough. ;) Just give me a remap on a patch and I'll be happy. L2 = lock on, R2 = modifier. Happily ever after.
yeah that and the camera being sooo damn close I rarely use it..... if I do I just tap it to make the camera on the closest enemy... would looove it if it was toggle.. :/
Yes, add an option to remove the zoom and letterboxing. It's not cinematic, it's intrusive. Such a strange design choice... It's also equally mind-boggling that some moves don't fire on hard lock either...

If it wasn't for those 3 things, the controls would be solid. Weird stuff but it's not broken enough that I can't adjust.

So the side quests dont carry over? I am nowhere close to having all the maze pieces and the game is basically over I think. I am pretty sure I have not missed much, I have been really anal looking everywhere.

As for this game versus the first, the first had much better pacing as it mixed action with exploring and dungeons well. This game was just dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, I love that but it needed something in between.

While the combat is better and customizing with loot is really fun, it can lead to a broken game with certain stats. Plus the combat has wild difficulty swings depending what you are fighting cause the camera is terrible.

Oh and glitches and freezes, ugh...

Dahbomb

The zoom thing is sort of a staple of the series and looks really nice when fighting against bosses.

But I 100% agree with the lock on putting you too close to the opponent and really messes up your perspective when taking on multiple enemies in close quarters. DS1 wasn't this fast and you can easily adjust in time to the lock on but the faster combat means a more hectic lock on/camera. I will be addressing this in my pseudo-review/feedback of the game when I finish it.

gunbo13

The zoom thing is sort of a staple of the series and looks really nice when fighting against bosses.
IC. I never played DS1 so that's news to me. It still should be a toggle option though. View obstruction is even worse then QTE and hit-pause IMO, especially with such a core feature like hard lock.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just found out something new, I feel a little dumb for not testing it before no wonder the level 15 scythes lasted me so fucking long :lol

Arcane increases the damage of elemental effects on weapons :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only thing I feel could have been worked on is the pacing of the dungeons. (Maybe that's not the word I'm looking for.)

It's most of the time find 3 of this, find 3 of that.

gunbo13

Eh, toggle lock-on is never good except with Zelda type games. A hold is better for games like this since it is a single press modifier where you can then forget about the input. Toggling is needless inputs and will just hamper your play.

Of course, your mileage will vary and toggle might be perfectly acceptable for your play-style.

This game has more bugs than a Bethesda game at release.

Finished Land of the Dead, try to continue the story. Unable to.

Now do I wait for a patch, or restart(AGAIN)?

gdt

This game has more bugs than a Bethesda game at release.

Finished Land of the Dead, try to continue the story. Unable to.

Now do I wait for a patch, or restart(AGAIN)?

Oh come on. I only ran into one bug, which fixed itself when I left the room and walked back in. Of course, everyone has a different experience, but more than Bethesda?

KevinCow

Banned
I asked earlier and nobody answered, but what are the last two abilities?

I've beaten the game and done most of the sidequests, yet 2 of the 5 abilities are still empty.

Lock-on gets confused really easily when enemies cross over each other, or when you're focusing on something and it leaves your line of sight. Your target just switches to the enemy in approximately the same direction that your original target was in.

Oh come on. I only ran into one bug, which fixed itself when I left the room and walked back in. Of course, everyone has a different experience, but more than Bethesda?

Bethesda has small bugs everywhere. Darksiders has game breaking bugs atleast once a zone so far. Every major boss I've had to quit/restart numerous times in hopes that it won't bug. Had to restart twice while doing Forge Lands, since a boss wasn't killable.

Now I've run into another progress-blocking bug in land of the dead, where the marker to return to the Tree won't update.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bethesda has small bugs everywhere. Darksiders has game breaking bugs atleast once a zone so far. Every major boss I've had to quit/restart numerous times in hopes that it won't bug. Had to restart twice while doing Forge Lands, since a boss wasn't killable.

Now I've run into another progress-blocking bug in land of the dead, where the marker to return to the Tree won't update.
You finished up the land of the dead? Npc should be standing there. If he's not there go back to where you fought the boss and talk to him in that room again maybe?

Does anyone can tell me if in the Darksiders II Menu can see its THQID and Steam ID message scrolling? Because I can't see it, I can't connect thank you

Top Bottom