• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

You finished up the land of the dead? Npc should be standing there. If he's not there go back to where you fought the boss and talk to him in that room again maybe?

Crowfather is at the tree. All he says is "Make haste for the tree". I go to quest marker(angel side doorway).

Nothing happens.

I love the game, but this game has some of the worst filler/padding I can remember in recent memory. seriously.

want to meet person A?
go beat the champion arena, oh wait, you want to fight the champion? collect 3 item first so you can fight him, then when you got to speak to the person A, he give you three more errand to go, even one of the errand there have it's own 3 sub errand.

this is pretty damn ridiculous. when I first arrive in zone 2, I was told to meet this guy, 5 hours later after numerous dungeons and quests is when I finally got to properly talk to this guy.

I actually like the actual dungeon and puzzles, it's pretty damn well designed, and exploring and figuring out how to find all the treasure chest in a dungeon is really fun. but I wish they come up with more story or reason for the dungeon rather than obviously putting in some lame excuse to stall the story progression.

forrest

formerly nacire
Level 22 and holding off on beating it until I finish my last side quest. Fucking stone bites!!! They will be the death of me. I was ready to beat the game at the 30 hour mark, but now that I've wrapped up all of the seek and find side quests I'm at the 43 hour mark :p

Question for anyone who is on their second playthrough.
Do the abyssal armor pieces you get in the first playthrough get replaced with higher level versions on the second playthrough. I got the Gaunlets for the relic quest and the Plate for the Book of the dead quest and was wondering if doing these quests again on new game + at level 30 would yield more powerful versions.

I love the game, but this game has some of the worst filler/padding I can remember in recent memory. seriously.

Actually I would say this game has the BEST filler/padding of any game in recent memory. Yes, there is a lot of stuff in between story segments, but lets not act like the content is bad. I wouldn't trade any of it in for a shorter more concise version. I also really hope that Vigil maintains this scale for the third installment.

And yes arcane crit chance affects elemental damage on weapons. LOL those level 15 scythes crit for 650 on the fire damage x.x/

Trying to think of the ideal weapon for a necromancer stacking arcane. I'll have to try plugging in all three elemental damage on my next possessed weapon.

Also going to redo my necromancer tree. Dropping shield/ghouls for crows/ghouls. Shield seems really bad for my type of gameplay, I try to dodge all the attacks, not get hit. For 8 seconds and a hefty wrath cost, how many times am I going to get hit, once? Meanwhile I could be getting health for when I do get hit, and reaper energy + way more damage than what the lightning passive would give me. I could see shield being way more useful if it depleted on charges, not on time.

Megasoum

Banned
Two questions...

1-What exactly fills the reaper bar? I think I missed the memo when they explained that lol.

2-Sidequest spoiler...
For the quest where you have to pickup a bunch of stones around the world that I can then turn in for permanent stats upgrade. Do I need to get all the stones in the quest to get an upgrade or it's just a specifc number for each upgrade? Cause I'm really not seing that many stones and the quest has /34 /25 and /10... This must be the total number of stones in the whole game right?

want to meet person A?
go beat the champion arena, oh wait, you want to fight the champion? collect 3 item first so you can fight him, then when you got to speak to the person A, he give you three more errand to go, even one of the errand there have it's own 3 sub errand.

this is pretty damn ridiculous. when I first arrive in zone 2, I was told to meet this guy, 5 hours later after numerous dungeons and quests is when I finally got to properly talk to this guy.

I actually like the actual dungeon and puzzles, it's pretty damn well designed, and exploring and figuring out how to find all the treasure chest in a dungeon is really fun. but I wish they come up with more story or reason for the dungeon rather than obviously putting in some lame excuse to stall the story progression.

I agree, I feel as if everything is a step up from darksiders 1 except the story and characters. Then again I haven't finished the game yet.

Actually I would say this game has the BEST filler/padding of any game in recent memory. Yes, there is a lot of stuff in between story segments, but lets not act like the content is bad. I wouldn't trade any of it in for a shorter more concise version. I also really hope that Vigil maintains this scale for the third installment.

the actual dungeon and puzzles are great, but they need to either lengthen the story to properly support all those dungeons, or make more of them optional sidequest/dungeon instead of shoehorning them into the story with really lame and obvious excuse for padding.

if you really get into the story and want to know what's gonna happen next, these filler is really killing your interest and the pacing of the story. instead of having a mindset of 1 more dungeon to see what's next, my reaction to 3 more dungeon before continuing the story is to just stop playing and I'll continue tomorrow.

Monocle

Late to respond to this because I just woke up. Your crit chance is really high, basically you are doing crits every other hit and with a fast weapon those crits are frequent. You should go with health on crit for sure. You also sorely need higher crit damage and that will benefit you greatly. You can try to get higher dps on your main if damage is a problem.
Thanks for the tips! I actually posted a bit later that I decided to go with health on crit. Turned out to be a great call. My possessed claws can regen a quarter of my life bar in maybe three second. I also got the level 5 secret room reward in the Soul Arbiter's Maze, a scythe that restores health on hit. Any multi-hitting attack regens so much health, it's bonkers. I'm definitely going to focus on boosting my crit damage now. I was getting discouraged with my crap equipment before, but I'm having fun again.

The one thing I'm having trouble with now is finding equipment that boosts resistance and has other stats that are useful for my Harbinger build. I've been having to unequip stuff with huge strength, defense, and crit bonuses just to boost my resistance with armor that is otherwise useless to me. It's really annoying. I don't understand why something as important as elemental defense is almost always tied to gear for magic users.

So what does resistance improve? resistance to elemental attacks or something?
Correct. It's an essential stat for fighting certain bosses and high class enemies. And some low ones. The other day I had 300+ defense and only 21 resistance, and fire archers could kill me in three hits.

Just got to the Land of the Dead, and am totally SHOCKED when I saw
the other portals. How big is this game?!

Also a few hours ago I noticed they got lazy with the sun effects. The camera makes it so that you never see it unless you look around alot, but I do, and so every now and then I see shit like this lol.

5wd5T.jpg

want to meet person A?

What's wrong with having a lot of gameplay in between story bits? You just said you like the story and dungeon. That "filler" is the meat of the game.

gdt

the actual dungeon and puzzles are great, but they need to either lengthen the story to properly support all those dungeons, or make more of them optional sidequest/dungeon instead of shoehorning them into the story with really lame and obvious excuse for padding.

if you really get into the story and want to know what's gonna happen next, these filler is really killing your interest and the pacing of the story. instead of having a mindset of 1 more dungeon to see what's next, my reaction to 3 more dungeon before continuing the story is to just stop playing and I'll continue tomorrow.

I get what you're saying...but the dungeons are the important part. So I can't agree.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just got to the Land of the Dead, and am totally SHOCKED when I saw
the other portals. How big is this game?!

Also a few hours ago I noticed they got lazy with the sun effects. The camera makes it so that you never see it unless you look around alot, but I do, and so every now and then I see shit like this lol.

That sun issue is on your end. I'm not sure what is causing it for you, but I would imagine it has something to do with your AA settings.

KevinCow

Banned
Haha, just started New Game +, and there's a line early on that made me laugh knowing what happens later:

"You fight well, Horseman, but this Corruption is not one that can be defeated with a blade."

Bitch, I just got done murdering Corruption with my blades. Don't tell me what I can't do.

What's wrong with having a lot of gameplay in between story bits? You just said you like the story and dungeon. That "filler" is the meat of the game.

because from where I am now (just enter zone 3) there's too many dungeon and not enough story. is there any sidequest in zone 2 at all? zone 1 give you a lot of sidequest, some of it even bleed into zone 2 and that's fine, I don't think I meet any npc that give you sidequest in zone 2. they should have made some of the story dungeon as sidequest imo, just to have better pacing for the main story.

Crowfather is at the tree. All he says is "Make haste for the tree". I go to quest marker(angel side doorway).

Nothing happens.

Quoting myself here: Apparently its a known issue on the THQ forums.

If you have the Crucible DO NOT VISIT IT. Pretty sure its what is causing the bug. Probably going to return my game next week, I didn't pay 60 dollars to beta test.

Carm

Question about the second piece of gear you get after the gun. In the room before you acquire it, there is a ledge to the left, that you can't quite reach wall running. Is that something I'll need to come back for with another ability later? First time seeing something like that in a story dungeon I think.

Edit: Never mind, found something explaining how to get there.

Raxus

Man I really wish they would highlight the last items you are missing on your map. I need 15 more coins, 8 pages, and like 20 stones.

No you need to find them all over again.

so, with the game autosaving everything, near the end I will have to make the choice to either collect everything first before I continue to final boss, or beat the final boss and start new game plus? no choice to go back to my last save before final boss after I beat the game?

forrest

formerly nacire
No you need to find them all over again.

Okay that's what I thought and why I've been avoiding beating it. I have every thing done but the stone bites. Don't wanna have to redo the whole thing for the achievement if I'm only a few away.

Megasoum

Banned
I really need to find a possessed fast weapon... I've got 3-4 possessed scythes and I'm using a possessed axe right now. The axe has great stats but I really prefer the fast weapons over the slow ones, I just never got a good one...sigh...

That sun issue is on your end. I'm not sure what is causing it for you, but I would imagine it has something to do with your AA settings.

But even if I reset all my nvidia stuff to default settings the problem remains. Im using the latest official driver release. Maybe I should try the beta drivers?

Raxus

so, with the game autosaving everything, near the end I will have to make the choice to either collect everything first before I continue to final boss, or beat the final boss and start new game plus? no choice to go back to my last save before final boss after I beat the game?

No. If you beat the game you will be prompted to save and start new game plus. Select no and it will return you before the point of no return.

Dahbomb

God damn I am so ocd for these dungeons and collectibles that I am spending way more time dicking around in dungeons than playing the main quest. 20 hours and still in the second world... I have no one to blame but myself. Some of these dungeons have dungeons inside dungeons...

Derrick01

Banned
Correct. It's an essential stat for fighting certain bosses and high class enemies. And some low ones. The other day I had 300+ defense and only 21 resistance, and fire archers could kill me in three hits.

Ouch yeah I'll definitely be saving some gear with that stuff on it. Thanks. Reminds me of my WoW days working my ass off to gather fire resistance gear.

ironcreed

Banned

I agree. It is like an old school dungeon crawler for loot whores, but is also filled with puzzles, collectibles, gameplay like an action game and lots of platforming. I am glad there is more stuff to do on the side to keep me playing and utilizing all of these elements in the huge world. I don't want it to just be a linear story. This is where more of the RPG attributes come into play as well.

On a side note, I would love another game with Death. He is going to be hard to top.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God the Soul Arbiters maze is so fucking monotonous. I've cleared 7 floors and need to take a break.

Bleeeeehhhhh

Okay, new question. Somehow in this process my ghoul skill got remapped to UP on the dpad. But once I changed it to LB + Anything I can't get it back to being up on the dpad again. How can I do this?

vaelic

Banned
Beta meaning it could randomly melt my card, or beta meaning trivial issues may arise?

Also, why are Nvidia beta drivers from this Guru 3D site? I thought Nvidia had their own? I'd really appreciate someone clearing this up for me before I start installing shit.

guru3d is a very well known site

JJD

This game is good, but it's so rough around the edges.

I've had 5 freezes so far, 3 of then were just plain horrible.

One just as I beat Thane the first time I met him, had to do it all over again.

Another just as I beat the first world main boss, that big guardian. The game froze as soon as he was dead. Had to restart and I couldn't get any loot he dropped.

And finally the third was the fucking worst. Beat the Deposed King on lvl. 13. I Lvl. up and as soon as I hit select to spend the skill point the game freezes. Besides the scepter I missed all the boss loot...again. Fuck this Vigil.

Be careful when you beat a big boss or optional boss guys. Don't hit select as soon as the fight ends, my game froze 3 times in situations like these.

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay, new question. Somehow in this process my ghoul skill got remapped to UP on the dpad. But once I changed it to LB + Anything I can't get it back to being up on the dpad again. How can I do this?

As far as I know, nothing can be mapped to the up direction on the d-pad. I was suggesting earlier that it would be nifty if up toggled between your dungeon items.

Beta meaning it could randomly melt my card, or beta meaning trivial issues may arise?

Also, why are Nvidia beta drivers from this Guru 3D site? I thought Nvidia had their own? I'd really appreciate someone clearing this up for me before I start installing shit.

Ok, these drivers are fine for DS2, but be careful with other games. My CPU was running at 100% almost all the time when playing Age of Conan today. Rolled back the drivers and everything was back to normal. Same thing was happening to the wife.

Top Bottom