• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Hello,

I'm playing it on 360.

The framerates really SUCKS, there's a lot of dips & tearing, specially on the world map. The game is great too, but it's very boring... Welcome in the past (2006).

For the moment DARKSIDERS 1 is better for me (dungeons, map, level design, puzzles...).

4l1qs.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Okay, last world left. I'm going to skip a few optional dungeons, since I don't feel like running around solving riddles just for some random loot. Not going to bother with NG+, too. I'm not saying the game is bad, but not nearly good enough for me to clear it again.
Also, I completely agree with people saying that Darksiders 1 more focused approach was better, but at least the fighting system in the sequel finally feels like it should from the start.

Yeah, it's not a complaint so much, I came away from it with a big smile on my face. Is it the part with the two lava spewing pipes? That's where I am at the moment.
Yup. I remember feeling jazzed when I heard that victory music after clearing the room of enemies, and then... uh oh.

I actually had to quit right there, but I'll give it another few shots and if its just getting the better of me I'll move on and come back later.

On that note: one of the greatest parts about this game is that it doesn't punish you - you don't lose progress, your weapons don't lose durability or break, and failing some jump isn't the end of the world. Makes it just a joy to play. But if you want to get hardcore about it the game has enough difficulty and depth to give you a challenge.

Surprisingly, my favorite bits from this game are the massive bodies of water I get to dive into and explore. I'm a sucker for that stuff, and there's almost always a glowing trinket or chest waiting there to reward you for taking your time.

Dascu

Was playing through
Lostlight's Ivory Tower when I suddenly realized how to solve that one bomb puzzle in Sentinel's Gaze, back in the Kingdom of the Dead. So I fast travel around, do the puzzle and then to my sudden surprise, I find a hole behind a treasure chest. I jumped in expecting some trinket or collectible, but no! It's an entire mini-dungeon. What a welcome surprise. :)

Awesome OT! Got to say the original is one of my favorites but why must these games be so glitchy. The original (which I played on PS3) has this horrible bug that makes the game crash when you try to quit and this game seems riddled with problems as well. I am not far in but the clipping, random floating, and moments of near game crashing are really putting a damper on things, any word of a patch? So far I am loving the game, but like the first wish it was play tested more before shipping it out.

piotr47

Banned
Hello,

I'm playing it on 360.

The framerates really SUCKS, there's a lot of dips & tearing, specially on the world map. The game is great too, but it's very boring... Welcome in the past (2006).

For the moment DARKSIDERS 1 is better for me (dungeons, map, level design, puzzles...).

The thing is that, for the game is bigger, more opened, the game is less punchy than the first one.
It needs the player to dive in, to dig treasures, ton invest. But once you're in the game, man, it's freaking awesome!!!

The first one was more "immediate"

You can compare this to Batman AC / AA ...

Le truc c'est que comme le jeu est plus gros, plus ouvert, il est moins punchy que le premier.
Il faut vraiment que le joueur rentre dedans, creuse un peu l'univers, s'investisse. Mais une fois que t'es dedans, c'est un putain de jeu!!!

Le premier était plus immédiat.

Tu peux rapporcher ça à Batman AC / AA

French player too!

PC Users: Is there a way to improve the shadows in this game? Currently they look like the shadows from MGS1 (no hyperbole).

Come on, be serious one moment, please... (.....)

so i decided to just give the crucible a try just to see what its like. I decided to stop after 20 waves so i chose "ill take the loot!".

I go to the chest and... it's empty!

wtf?!

forrest

formerly nacire
Ugh I'm down to one stinking Stone of Mystic to be completely done with all of the side quests.
LLShC.gif
My playtime for this first playthrough is ballooning rapidly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ugh I'm down to one stinking Stone of Mystic to be completely done with all of the side quests.
LLShC.gif
My playtime for this first playthrough is ballooning rapidly.

hahaha yeah, I feel like if I didnt do all the experimenting and sidequest stuff I would of been done with the game 2 days ago xD

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So those blue stones actually do something?

Posting for the 50th time! :3

M+M+M = Arcane +5
M+M+P = Arcane Critical Chance +2%
M+M+R = Arcane Critical Damage +10%

P+P+P = Strength +5
P+P+M = Critical Chance +2%
P+P+R = Critical Damage +10%

R+R+R = Resistance +20
R+R+M = Wrath +20
R+R+P = Defense +20

M+R+P = Health +30

Posting for the 50th time! :3

M+M+M = Arcane +5
M+M+P = Arcane Critical Chance +2%
M+M+R = Arcane Critical Damage +10%

P+P+P = Strength +5
P+P+M = Critical Chance +2%
P+P+R = Critical Damage +10%

R+R+R = Resistance +20
R+R+M = Wrath +20
R+R+P = Defense +20

M+R+P = Health +30

I don't know what any of that means :(

Is there like a quest I have to trigger first? I've tried shooting/punching them and nothing happens

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Is there like a quest I have to trigger first? I've tried shooting/punching them and nothing happens
Yup, talk to the NPC in the Fiord to be able to shoot them.

Finished the game! It took me about 20 hours according to steam and about... 16-8 if the save file time is to be believed. Missed a few optional dungeons though. The ending was a joke, especially compared to the first game. All the fetching 3 things for THAT? Major letdown, although the game itself wasn't bad.

ShinAmano

So I think I am screwed.

I went into the Scar and was fighting my way through ( I was level 10 or 11 at the time)...I got to a point that I could not beat so I left.

I moved through the game and picked up a couple of levels...and thought I was ready to finish the job.

Well it appears that the construct to cross the lava is on the other side of said lava...is there a way to 'reset' it or am I screwed out of finishing this dungeon?

Thanks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So I think I am screwed.

I went into the Scar and was fighting my way through ( I was level 10 or 11 at the time)...I got to a point that I could not beat so I left.

I moved through the game and picked up a couple of levels...and thought I was ready to finish the job.

Well it appears that the construct to cross the lava is on the other side of said lava...is there a way to 'reset' it or am I screwed out of finishing this dungeon?

Thanks.

reload your game? or maybe that isn't the path you need to go? :p

Dahbomb

M = Mystic Stones, P = Power Stones, R = Resistant Stones

You have to talk to a NPC in the Forge (Shadow Forge, it's the area on the left side of the overworld map where there is a little snowy area).

It's kinda unfair that there are way more Mystic Stones than other stones. That means that most of my Mystic Stones have to be used for Arcane power up and I am not using the Necro tree at all. I want Strength/Crit bonuses but those use up the Power stones and there aren't nearly as many of those around as Mystics. 25 Stone of Power vs 34 Stone of Mystics (or 50 vs 68).

My end game stone stat build is going to look something like this:

Strength = +40 (8 x 3P = 24 Power Stones used)
Crit Chance = +10% (5 x (2P + 1M) = 10 Power Stones used, 5 Mystics Used)
Crit Damage = +70% (7 x (2P + 1R) = 14 Power Stones used, 7 Resistant used)

That leaves me with 2 Power Stones left which both of them will go into Defense + 2 Resistant stones or all 3 Resistance stones into Resistance . That leaves a CRAP LOAD of Mystic stones which all have to go into Arcane stat. I guess my Reaper damage will be insane and I will be using the Ultimate ability from the Necro tree instead of the Harbringer one (that one is not as good as the Necro one).

The good thing about the Harbringer tree is that because of Unstoppable and the 2 other main skills, your crit chance, damage and wrath generation goes through the roof if you have the buffs activated. You can tear through enemies.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone know the book of the dead page locations from the first world? I have 9 and really don't feel like spending hours finding the last one.

Dahbomb

So what fills the reaper bar exactly? Is it just executions?
The moves that bring out the Reaper like the end of certain combos build Reaper. That is my guess and probably the Evade Counter too.

Otherwise there are items that build Reaper energy either on hit or execution or crit. There is a certain Talisman that you get for doing a side quest that you can equip for tons of Reaper energy generated.
Does anyone know the book of the dead page locations from the first world? I have 9 and really don't feel like spending hours finding the last one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6AUS2obasU

Duffyside

Banned
Surprisingly, my favorite bits from this game are the massive bodies of water I get to dive into and explore. I'm a sucker for that stuff, and there's almost always a glowing trinket or chest waiting there to reward you for taking your time.

I usually hate diving/swimming in games, because no game does it well; if you see a body of water usually, you say to yourself "shit, now time for lots of oxygen management and crippling movement." But Darksiders does make it pretty fun. No oxygen to worry about, and your character moves like a freaking' fish. I still don't love it, but it's not irritating like almost every other game.

Had a strange thing happen yesterday, where I fought a bunch of enemies, opened the chest they were protecting, and then right as I was about to leave the area and jump back down into the water, music played and another chest appeared out of nowhere. What the heck was this about? It was in the fourth dungeon
awakening the Guardian

That dungeon itself was pretty epic; it felt like two dungeons combined into one, and the whole place felt huge. Probably my favorite dungeon thus far, though due to its size and layout it was a bit confusing.

But I really disliked what immediately came after.
The Corrupted Guaridan awakens, and you have to go chase it down.
You have to run back through the dungeon, and the designers weren't smart enough to put you right back at the entrance. Ok, no big deal, even though it is dumb -- I'll just teleport out. Nope, you can't. Ok, well my bird will lead the way, no, nevermind, he's an idiot. This was supposed to be an urgent moment in the game, and I'm fumbling around trying to remember which turns to take.

Then, a game breaking bug, as far as I can tell. I
shot those bombs on the Guardian's arm
but it never took him down. The fight never moved onto the next stage like what the youtube videos seem to say it should. He just kept beating me with that
giant fucking hammer
over and over again until I just turned it off and went to bed.

Maffis

I usually hate diving/swimming in games, because no game does it well; if you see a body of water usually, you say to yourself "shit, now time for lots of oxygen management and crippling movement." But Darksiders does make it pretty fun. No oxygen to worry about, and your character moves like a freaking' fish. I still don't love it, but it's not irritating like almost every other game.

Had a strange thing happen yesterday, where I fought a bunch of enemies, opened the chest they were protecting, and then right as I was about to leave the area and jump back down into the water, music played and another chest appeared out of nowhere. What the heck was this about? It was in the fourth dungeon
awakening the Guardian

That dungeon itself was pretty epic; it felt like two dungeons combined into one, and the whole place felt huge. Probably my favorite dungeon thus far, though due to its size and layout it was a bit confusing.

You have to run back through the dungeon, and the designers weren't smart enough to put you right back at the entrance. Ok, no big deal, even though it is dumb -- I'll just teleport out. Nope, you can't. Ok, well my bird will lead the way, no, nevermind, he's an idiot. This was supposed to be an urgent moment in the game, and I'm fumbling around trying to remember which turns to take.

but it never took him down. The fight never moved onto the next stage like what the youtube videos seem to say it should. He just kept beating me with that
giant fucking hammer

That chest appeared like that for me too after you killed all the enemies. Just a secret basically.

gunbo13

So I started over on apocalyptic and am 3 hours in. Drenchfort or something...

Combat
Really really easy. Haven't had to use a potion once after I got a handle on the combat system (and I stopped fucking jumping so much, habit!). Those things also pop up a ton and I've heard Death say "impossible" 20 times this run. Bosses have also been easily torn up. You also get some pretty damaging shit from all your little chest fetches.

I'm using hammer on secondary since it punishes hard. Allowed me to beat weapon-smith dude upon entering the hub. Just had to not get hit. I use the scythes mostly for intermediate stuff and that aerial X + X + delay + X move. I also use the roll into X for pot smashing, which I call the "pot smasher". /TM Right now I have little reason to change the variety except for a little style. Scythe -> hammer smash -> roll -> rush-down -> repeat is enough. Use an aerial launcher in crowds and mix in your specials. Not much else to it.

Platforming
Eh, I'm bored of it and wasn't really happy to do it level 1 either. Automatic find the textured beams, do 1000 times over the course of the game... All these games like to rip off the godlike platforming in PoP:SoT yet fail miserably since they just put it on auto. I've only had environmental deaths from misjudging distances but I'm cool with just teleporting right back into it. I also really hate that I find ways to actually grab ledges and Death can't climb up due to invisible walls. It isn't my fault the devs allowed me to get there when I shouldn't have. And what is the deal with jumping up diagonal obstructions? The system goes into stupid-ville when you aren't dealing with flat platforms.

Graphics/art
The Warcraft 3 art is OK. It adds some nice cartoon vibrancy compared to so many gritty or over-the-top titles. I'm leaving v-sync off because for some reason I get less tearing with no judder... Weird. 1080p @ 60+fps no dips with latest nvidia beta drivers. I couldn't imagine playing @ 30fps or less...

Controls
As stated before, L1 for special modifier is awful. I'm not a fan of some attacks working with lock on and some without. It would be fine without the damn zoom/letterboxing...which is my next gripe. I also can't stand LS down stuff or really any directional reliance. Put your energy into balancing and sculpting your mix-ups, not plugging in all these modifiers.

Puzzles
Repetitive and boring.

Current Summary
Not a bad game but way too easy for my tastes. There is no tension with all these extraneous potions, powerful weapons, and lack of enemy attack variety. All I have to do is simple combat 101 stuff. And I really don't gel with anything except the combat. I'm running around, climbing, pushing balls, and all this other bullshit instead of tearing shit up. Well, tearing shit up way too fast... I'm still glad Dahbomb got me to play this though.

So far it is mid-tier for me. It just has way too much platforming and puzzles. Replaying the game would be a massive chore. Looks like I have to unlock the Crucible.

Dahbomb

giant fucking hammer
You are supposed to go straight back to town, the way was pretty straightforward IMO.

Also you are supposed to shoot his arm when he brings it down not before. Although I did hear people having bugs in this fight. I guess reload and try to do it the right way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm thinking about running through the Crucible, but I only want to do all 100 waves once. Should I do it now? Or after NG+? Is it going to make that big of a difference if I don't intend to stop until the end?

You can collect a reward after every 25 waves, but if you get the reward you stop progressing, and if you skip the reward you lose it if you die later.

So if you want to get all the rewards, you have to go through like 4-5 times.

Dahbomb

Not a bad game but way too easy for my tastes. There is no tension with all these extraneous potions, powerful weapons, and lack of enemy attack variety. All I have to do is simple combat 101 stuff. And I really don't gel with anything except the combat. I'm running around, climbing, pushing balls, and all this other bullshit instead of tearing shit up. Well, tearing shit up way too fast... I'm still glad Dahbomb got me to play this though.
You tried fighting the side bosses yet?

I completed the first world in just under 8 hours which is a decent length but that's about half of what DS1 took me, so the claim is inaccurate so far :p
Tragic came in and cleared up the "claim". It wasn't that the first world was as long as the whole game (no one said that) but that it had as many dungeons as the first one which is accurate. It took me 14 hours to complete all the dungeons in the first world. The 2nd world appears to have even more from a cursory glance.

neoism

Does this game really have no graphics options on PC? It's got a high user score on metacritic for consoles, but it's quite low on PC, with most people complaining about what a crappy port it is. I haven't seen much of that kind of talk here on Gaf, though, and I'd have though that's the kind of thing people would soon be up in arms about on here.

if you want it on pc I would wait for a sale

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Need help in The Foundry
I crushed the custodian before I got the second key. What can I do to get rid of the corruption now?

Top Bottom